My 15-year-old is pregnant: Advice?

I think all first time moms are terrified of giving birth. Definitely discuss birth control.

Respect her & her wishes. Talk to her as an adult & have real conversations & compromise. Help her get a job, assistance, & childcare (get on a waiting list now). Love her & her child. Don’t talk down to her or make her feel like she can’t do it. Regardless; know you raised a responsible woman. She owned up to her actions and is taking them on head first. Support her.

Teen mom of 2 here :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I got pregnant at 17 and it was terrifying. This was in 2000 and there was a show called A Baby Story on TLC that I was obsessed with watching. I didn’t need to go to Lamaze classes because the show followed them on through the Lamaze class and I learned the breathing techniques by watching the show. The Labor was always so scary looking on TV but the second they pushes the baby out I would burst into tears and I knew that no matter how hard labor was it would be completely worth it. I highly recommend finding episodes of this show or something similar to prepare her. 

1 Like

Put her on the implant birth control after…

Giving birth at any age is scary. There’s really no way to prepare for it because everyone’s labor and delivery is different. Just be there for her, and advise her that due to the choices she made she now must put her baby first, be an adult, and face whatever comes her way. Playing adult games at 15 will make you grow up fast.

You truly can’t prepare her fully because she is still a child but you can take her to birthing classes, have many talks with her doctor and just be there for her. This is coming from someone who had their first child at 15 and choose to keep her. She is now 14 years old.

4 Likes

Girl I was 20 when I had my first I was absolutely terrified. It’s a normal reaction. Just be honest with her. It hurts like hell. Hopefully she will get the epidural it was amazing. The most important part is just being there for her and being supportive. Answer all the questions she has honestly without scaring her more of course. She will be okay.

1 Like

You can’t, the best thing you can do is sign her up for classes like planned parenthood, look into schools for young mom’s she won’t feel as alone. Ava king on instagram and youtube could help too, she had two kids by 16 her first being at 14 I think

2 Likes

I was 19 and terrified. I can’t imagine at her age how scared she could be. I know it’s a lot as parent to take in that your baby is having a baby, but try and be supportive. And might I suggest birth control for her once she is able to after the baby is born.

2 Likes

My daughter is 15 and 25 weeks pregnant, all we can do is be there and support them​:white_check_mark::star: I had my first at 17 he is now 23 and a lovely guy. I’m 40 now my youngest 15 and I have a successful career! I’m looking forward to having a grandchild who is going to be well loved :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I know my daughter will be a good mumma :star: so will yours with your support :white_check_mark:

5 Likes

Can’t really prepare her for parenthood, one thing I suggest is to limit how much you’re willing to baby sit. Right now is the most crucial time for her to learn that having a baby very young changes the quality of your life, especially if you’re a single mother. She’s probably not going to listen to you unless you make her do everything herself! So please make her do it all on her own or else you’re going to be raising that baby!!

4 Likes

Birthing classes I was 17 when I was pregnant with my first my mom put me in birthing classes it eased the fear

3 Likes

I’m going to be 32 by the time I give birth to my first baby and I’m terrified. I don’t think there’s anything you can do other than support her when she goes into labor. It’s scary for everyone I think.

4 Likes

Sit down and have a heart to heart…show her a video of childbirth…explain what you went through…take her to a maternity Ward…get a book of how babies grow inside the womb…
Let her know it will be ok…it’s painful but worth it! Good luck to you

2 Likes

Just help her without scaring her. It’ll be fine. Sending prayers. Can you update us somehow?

2 Likes

Go to the library and rent birthing videos.

My daughter got pregnant at 16, she turned 17 this pass January… she now has a 5 month old daughter… she was scared at first…. Idk if it was because she had to tell me or the fact that she was so young with a big responsibility (maybe both) BUT my daughter is now a senior in HS and she works part time…. She’s a good mom to her baby…. Of course she don’t get to “go out” with friends…… the ones that she didn’t lose during her pregnancy but she’s killing it as a mom and doing the BEST she can do…. She’s gonna be scared it’s normal but once her baby gets here I’m sure she’s gonna be fine…. Good luck and congratulations :balloon::confetti_ball:

5 Likes

You really can’t prepare her outside of being truthful. At 15 my mom laid it all out. Pregnancy isn’t fun and labor hurts but she was right about forgetting about the pain after holding my daughter.

3 Likes

Congratulations! 15 or 35 it’s scary. Just be there. Books and birthing classes. I was 15 when pregnant with my oldest who is now 27 and getting married on Oct. With a good support system your baby girl will be just fine.

4 Likes

I had my son at 19 and something that made me feel 100% better and more prepared was going to classes, prenatal, parenting etc. I felt so much better afterwards and was alot more confident and super informed! Having a healthly support system makes all the diffrence too!

Why so many rude comments she asked for advice not for people to tell her how to parent. It already happened she is pregnant so now you just have to support her n help her through everything

Birthing classes can give her a general idea, but also inform her that every pregnancy and labor are different :blush:

2 Likes

You can have her watch the movie what to expect when you’re expecting. Its funny and comical, also the book of the same title and there is an app called what to expect are some good ways to prepare her for pregnancy and birth. Its not gonna be easy there are birthing classes that helped me with my first pregnancy but nothing truly prepares you untill the day of. Just keep an open mind and anything can happen. My first was natural delivery with an epidural in my back. I went a whole 14 hours into labor without it and he wasn’t progressing so it was either a c-section or epidural. I chose epidural and 4 hours later he made his entrance. He also was 2 weeks early, so labor can start from anywhere around 38 to 41 weeks. Just make sure to support her and be there for her. Also share her pregnancy with her and how you gave birth to her.

I was 15 with my first child and all you can do is talk with her and let her know what will happen and what the drs will do. Nothing prepares you for birth.

2 Likes

First of all thank you for not being that parent that kicks their teenager out of the house for being pregnant. Second of all be matter of fact of what she should expect. Let her know that you will be right there with her and you have her back.

3 Likes

Be supportive always. What you do In your family and what works for You guys is important.

So many girls have sex at a young age and dont get pregnant and they are the same girls who are going on about being safe and not having sex and too young.

Shit happens. That doesn’t mean don’t make the best of it. Maturity comes a long way in both sexes and being the best mom and grandma will only make the situation better.

Accidents happen.
Girls are pressured all the time and they are bullied and hurt for both sides.

If you don’t have sex you can be heart broken, you’re called innocent and prude, if you do have sex you might end up pregnant, heart broken, or called a slut. Young girls can’t win… High-school is hard, and young boys are pressured too. It’s not ideal but that doesn’t mean it can’t be made into something beautiful and meaningful.

1 Like

No advice but wanted to say great job being there for her & giving that support she’s gonna desperately need! :black_heart:

2 Likes

Just be there to support her. I think even at 23 having my first was scary and hard. We just figure it out. Having someone there to support and help along the way makes all the difference. :heart:

1 Like

Birth is scary. No matter how you go about it, it’s just scary. Going into something knowing there will be pain is scary. Prepare her as best you can. Learn pain coping techniques, remind her of epidurals, take a birthing class. And keep supporting her decision and helping her prepare for her future.

I was pregnant at 16. I was not prepared by anyone for birth. I ended up having an emergency c section to save mine and my baby boys life.
Tell her it’s going to be painful. Tell her it’s not the birth that’s scary, it’s after. When you have to juggle school, a baby and a job to support the baby. Yeah, she’ll have some help. But it’s her choice to keep it so it’ll be ultimately her raising it.
I know, I sound harsh af but she needs to be prepared for all things that come with her decision.
I would have her attend birthing classes. They really didn’t do much to ease my fear of pushing out a baby, but it might help her. Tell her to do research. On the best ways to birth. A doula has helped many of my friends with at home birth plans. Water births have also helped with my friends plans. I’ve had all c sections. It’s scary as hell and the recovery is shit but if she walks as soon as she can feel her legs, she’ll be okay.

I highly recommend birthing classes & re assuring her that I believe every mom can say it hurts like hell & recovery isn’t always easy but when it’s all said an done once you hold your bundle of joy all pain is forgotten :heart:

1 Like

Well, when she’s 39 weeks she won’t care how baby gets out.
First time is always scary but she’s got this!

4 Likes

Yep it is scary I had my son at 16. Just let her know you’re there for her but also let her know it’s not all about her anymore. Kids are a big responsibility. I was terrified too but I was mainly terrified because when my family found out it wasn’t good. Which only made it worse on me so I ended up moving away for a while. I did come back to my home state just a few years ago. My son is now 16. So because of the negativity alot of family missed when he was younger.

Lol you can’t, what prepares you to give birth is maturity and life experience, and even then it’s scary. She’s 15 years old, there’s no way to prepare her for pushing out a baby, all the things that can go wrong, and becoming a mother. I hope you’re fully prepared to raise this child, and not only that I hope you’re prepared for the possibility of the child having special needs. What happens if her baby is non-verbal and autistic? What about epileptic? Has brain cancer? Cerebral palsy? I was barely prepared to raise a special needs child at 27 years old, and it’s incredibly taxing, so like I said, I hope you’re fully prepared to step in and raise the child no matter the circumstances

6 Likes

Don’t let her watch videos of it :joy:

1 Like

Look into hypno birthing. And make her actually practice it. It’s supposed to help completely take away the pain of Birth without having to even use epidural.

Most births in a hospital of any size have the option of a spinal and feel no pain…

Make her walk alot. I did a lot of walking with my second child bc my first was in baseball and the fields were huge. My second came out in his own. In labor for 3/4 hours. No pushing. It was so easy and painless. An hour after giving birth I was walking. Just make sure she stays active if it’s a normal pregnancy. Walking for 30 for a day or more will do wonders when pregnant. Let me add I got the epidural. With the epidural it was so easy.

Got pregnant at 15 had her at 16 I’m 25 now. Nothing will prepare anyone for birth imo no matter the age I’m pregnant now and still scared for having my baby lol. Support her. Don’t make her feel bad for needing help. She’s a child raising a child.

3 Likes

As a person who experienced this! I was 15 when I gave birth. I would say talk to her give her all the option that’s out there. Help her exercise it’s great trust me!

2 Likes

You sound very supportive which is very admirable. Perhaps accompany and be her coach at birthing classes. Then at least shell know to be prepared.

3 Likes

I didn’t subscribe to the birth is scary thought process. Im too stubborn. I know it is for some, but I wanted to be empowered and was. She could watch the documentary Business of Being Born, to give her understanding of whats happening and what her body is capable of, no matter how or where she has her baby. Also an ongoing birth support person like a doula could be very beneficial. Knowledge is power!

1 Like

There really is no way to prepare her for it. Every birth is different. You could go in there with a mindset about one thing, and something could go wrong and turn in a different direction. Just be there for her, and if it would help, take some birthing classes

2 Likes

Birthing classes and exercise be there for her answer her questions honestly. Of she asks will it hurt. Tell her it’s the worst pain she will ever feel. But also tell her when they lay the baby on her chest it’s the most delightful feeling ever
Good job momma for being there for your daughter having a child when she is a child herself. Way to young to go through this but accidents happen.
Is the father of the baby in the picture. Is he going to pay support for the baby.
Also get her on birth control as soon as she has the baby.

Same way you wanted to be prepared with your first. Be there for her and answer all her questions without judgement

2 Likes

Birthing classes
Also most maternity wards may allow a visit ahead of time.
Help her work out a birth plan for what she wants.

I wasn’t prepared at 22 and I was terrified all 4 times I’ve done it. I would look into local resources and classes etc.

2 Likes

Tell her to relax as much as possible tensed up she will hurt more. She needs to enjoy this time bonding I felt my 1st born moving around and could watch it is still the most amazing thing I have ever experienced was 17 when my 1st was born

Educate her with real facts. Don’t sugar coat.

5 Likes

Lots of love and assurance

2 Likes

Be there to support her and assurance :heart:

I found out I was pregnant 2 weeks before I turned 16 if you have any questions feel free to shoot me a message as long as you support her but don’t coddle her everything will go great prenatal classes were great for me

Really she is to young that’s considered rape

as a young mom, nothing will prepare her fully… good amounts of exercise will make it easier though, my mom made me get a ton of good exercise with my first born because i was young. to be that first time mom, knowing your walking into the worst pain of your life, it’s terrifying no matter what your age is. the unknown is scary, I always tell me first time mommy friends that yup its gonna hurt, and possibly for a good amount of time because not everyone has quick labor some women (like me) it’s a 2 week long affair. BUT the moment that baby is in your arms, nothing else matters.

1 Like

No advice but I had my daughter at 15 and nothing could’ve really prepared my young self for what was coming, day but day. But it’s awesome that you’re not one of those parents to bring her down or kick her out. Lots of love and support, she’s got this, you got this. It’s hard but one day it won’t be so hard. Sending so much love :heart:

2 Likes

Teach her to make informed decisions

Check into local parenting classes and Non profit resources for Mother’s

1 Like

Lamaze class/birthing classes will help so much. I was 17 when having my first child and I was terrified! I attended multiple birthing classes so I would know what to expect and how to handle the pain with a little more ease. If you will be in the delivery room with her, I would suggest you attending the birthing class with her. 
It sounds like you are already being a great supportive mother so keep that up and reassure her that she will be okay and she’s got this! Right now, she needs all the support and love she can possibly get. :heart:

1 Like

My mom told me u play u pay I was 21 when I had my first kid

2 Likes

Lots of support and maybe birthing classes. Idk how you prepare for that moment theres pain and love so it’s hard to explain but talk about the love she will feel the moment that baby is put in her arms :two_hearts:

1 Like

There really nothing you can do to prepare her just let her know you’ll be there either way. As a teen mom I found comfort in knowing my mom was supporting me.

You have to be honest its going to be the worst pain of her life but you will be by her side for every moment of it. I very belive in mind over matter if you have a strong head game you can make it throu without pain aide. She should watch tlc birth stories attend classes

1 Like

Birthing classes help. Lots of love and support

They’ll offer support and have heaps of stuff available for both you and her to help prepare her for it. Birth is the easy part :wink:
Congrats on becoming a grandparent :hugs: :baby::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Be there for her no matter what coming from someone who had their baby at 15. And just videos and talk about things that are going to happen. Let her know it might be alot of pain but she can do it and it will be worth it.

I was 17 when i got pregnant. It was beyond terrifying and honestly nothing really prepared me for it. Just be supportive and reassure her you will be there for her. Maybe try some birthing classes.

Support her. There’s not much you can do to prepare her, but be honest with her. Explain to her the difference between births just in case she has to have c section or other. I was 15 when I got pregnant with my now 8 year old. My mom was my biggest support person. Be there for her, and talk about it. Stand up for her because people are mean and always have something terrible to say (I was told by random kids to get a metal hanger. I was called nasty names and so much more, my mom was great and told them to pretty much kick sand). Have her research birthing videos if possible. Give her all her options such as epidural, natural etc.

Experience. She’s gonna learn as she goes. Not everyone pregnancies are the same. I would say just stand beside her. Guide her through the hardship she’s gonna face.

2 Likes

I was 15 with my first. I would recommend a female Dr ( unfortunately I went to the clinic to save money, that wasn’t the best idea.) The birth center is a more positive way to go. I took Lamaze classes ( it scared me, but also prepared me.) I got Scarlett Fever while still in school… Drs said she would be under 5 lbs and sickly… She was 8.6 and very healthy. Feel free to pm me anytime. I also became a Nursing Mothers consultant and helped teenage Mom’s with breastfeeding. All my children are now grown.

3 Likes

I had my first at 15. Just be as supportive and let her know you’re there for her. Take the time to talk to her about pregnancy and labor. I was very uneducated and my mom didn’t talk to me too much about things. Classes are helpful. Also, teens can be super mean, luckily I went to a school that had resources for young moms and I was well taken care of. Make sure she knows the signs of labor and keep up with her appointments. I didn’t know I was supposed to go to the dr every week the last month and I was leaking for a week straight. My son didn’t have amniotic fluid when he was born and I was rushed to the hospital for an emergency c-section. Luckily he came naturally once I was in the hospital.

Let her know that you love her and stand by her no matter what…

Go to all the child birthing classes with her.

2 Likes

Honestly I’d just be as straight as u can be with her if she’s old enough to make the decision to keep the baby she’s old enough to accept the truth about child birth…I was 15 when I got pregnant with my first and I just wish I had of had more support with preparing for motherhood that’s the best thing u can do really and in my opinion the birth will be the least of her worries …I wish u both all the best and congratulations because let’s face it a baby is always a blessing despite the age u have 1…and don’t let anyone question ur parenting for ur daughters actions my mom couldn’t of done a better job with me but I still did what I did xx

2 Likes

Just be there for her mama and reassure her that everything is going to be okay and you’re going to make it and that just because you get pregnant at a young age and have a baby does not let you stop from doing anything that you can do in life

I want to appreciate you by sharing the good news to the world I made it out for the very first time with Mrs Angelina Wilson

:point_down::point_down:

Prepare her with education and knowledge. Have her go to birthing classes. Watch videos of different types of births and research her birthing plan. The more in control she feels about her birthing plan, the better it’ll go for her. Have her decide how she wants to give birth, if she wants any medications to assist and who she wants present.

Thankful you are being supportive of your own baby through this transition. Just love her and encourage her. Maybe even pick up a copy of what to expect when you’re expecting.

Give her birth choices such as epidural or c section

Try teaching sex education earlier!

I had my son at 14 and yes it is had but my mom helped me do I could still go to school and the only thing me and my mom had to do was correct my son on was calling my mom his mom

be honest and compassionate

Make sure she’s aware of her birthing choices. There’s no true way to prepare to push a human out of you. It’s scary regardless. Hold her hand, bring familiar items to the hospital, try and make her as comfortable as possible.

Give her different birthing options such as c-section and water births, tell her about pain relief and tell her everyone experiences it differently.

Take her to birthing classes which will educate her on different techniques for relaxing, birth partners, etc.

Just be there for her I wouldn’t tell her to much it might scare her and make her pregnancy complicated