My 8-year-old has been acting up: How should I handle this?

Well 1 he knows Santa isn’t real hes 8 and your letting Santa get all the credit for all the hard work you have done to buy those gifts 2nd you need to give him a good ole back in the days ass whipping 3rd he wouldn’t get crap not from your Santa or from you 4th id would call the cops to take him away for a few hours

2 Likes

Your son’s behavior may need to be addressed professionally from a medical standpoint he may suffering from a disorder that medication can minimize or eliminate. Just a thought

1 Like

I dealt with this with my daughter. She was diagnosed as bipolar disorder, I waited too long to find out and she became suicidal.

There is a discipline called magic 123, has been something that I have done for 25 plus years, it makes you as parents accountable but there’s no negotiation, consequence and success, throwing ultimatums is not relationship building, none of us, adults or kids like them.

1 Like

Don’t buy into Christmas. Acknowledge that Jesus Christ was born that day! Not a big fan of Santa but I understand he’s still a kid however, I teach kids with emotional disabilities and sometimes their parents don’t know what else to do either. Take everything away from him and he gets to sit in his room or Christmas Day. If he tears up the bed then he has no bed. If he tears up his clothes he gets a uniform even on the weekends. Also who’s the disciplinarian? Men need to really Step Up and women need to back off and let a man be responsible for teaching their son right from wrong. The problem in his world today there are too many women leading and too many men just sitting back and watching. Make sure you’re being proactive because I’m sure this is trickling over to the school. There may be many reasons why your child is acting out that you may not understand so it is not inevitable to take him to a counselor. Sounds like he needs to talk to someone about his anger. Whenever you reward your daughter don’t do it in front of his face because it makes him hate her and he’ll begin to attack her verbally and physically.

1 Like

Sounds like a case of ODD … oppositional defiant disorder. Usually is in connection with ADD or ADHD. Get him to a counselor and try to work it they at a young age. My son was diagnosed with ODD without ADD or ADHD as a teen. And unfortunately it has not been a fun road…he is currently in juvy as a result of…stealing, disrespect turned into truancy and failing school.

6 Likes

I would talk to his teacher and find out if there’s any children bullying him! This sounds like a cry for help possibly! Maybe some of his friends are acting mean to him?

1 Like

As a psychiatric NP I think your son needs mental health engagement to help him express himself in healthy ways.

3 Likes

Stick to it…I am going through very similar and even my therapist said to stick to it.

He needs therapy and u need to put the rule down …I wish my kids would!! They will be picking up some of them milk teeth off the floor

1 Like

I honestly believe someone or something is influencing him to behave this way… Has he always been mean tempered? Or is this something new? Kids usually mimic good and bad behavior… Just seems odd an 8 year old would hoard food and try to hit his dad for repeatedly telling him to clean his room. Just saying it could be outside influences or maybe even inside??? But I agree with sticking to your guns about teaching him a valuable lesson. I also agree that he should only receive gifts from family and friends. Prayers for you and your family… :pray:

You did the right thing momma. He didn’t deserve them with his behavior maybe seeing his sister open gift will change his mind on how he acts

Take everything out of his room…just his mattress and have him earn everything else back…

2 Likes

He may be getting bullied at school. Get to the bottom of that first before blaming him for all

2 Likes

He needs to open presents too that’s not fair to him to not get to open presents on Christmas day and his sister get too punish him some other way but not that way i wouldn’t even do my kids that way get him in with a counselor or something

1 Like

I don’t know what to do about your son accept professional help . did any kind of trauma happen to him that you don’t know about ; ask him , he definitely needs a calming method and fast .

Give him one present that’s what my son got due to his behaviors and told him I had a lot more planned but due to your behavior this is what you are getting this year

I would suggest councling my oldest brother had bad anger issues like that. I would stick to what u say. I also would talk to his Dr.

Behavioral in home therapy . This sounds very similar to my son and we called a crisis hotline and they had a therapist come into our home for 2hrs a week and do play therapy . Sounds like Oppositional Defiant Disorder , same as my son and there is hope . The sooner you start a strict modification plan and put a 100 percent into it. Do NOT hit him this will only increase his anger and teach him that’s how to handle fustrations. Monkey See…Monkey Do .

Hes 8? Unless hes got behavioral problems or is on the spectrom id be taking all his shit away. He tried to hit your husband? Yea idk get him checked out by a professional we arent doctors. And that soundd like more than anyone should put up with

1 Like

Take him to see someone it may have oppositional defiant disorder and a few others. Once you know he isnt doing these things on purpose you may be able to help him more

Stick to your guns. Pet his ass and he’ll be committing mass shootings in 10 years while high on adderall (not sure of the spelling)

1 Like

Tell you mother to shut the fuck up n mind her own damn business. He’s being a little shit all year so he gets nothing. What’s so wrong about that?! It’s a big reality check for him in my book

1 Like

Take everything out of his room, make earn everything back. Use a chart. Give he daily jobs, to help home earn back his bed, toys, tv, game system, ect

1 Like

Maybe talk to his school counselor and see if she can help. If that doesn’t get any where, try outside counseling.

Sometimes tuff love is the only way to go.

Your doing the right thing. Mabe give him one to open and put the rest up till he changes his behavior.

Just let him know he is loved talk to his pediatrician he may need medicine taking things is good but i dont know if not letting Santa comes is the right thing to do i would just leave him a note from Santa if he acts ups the toys will br taken away pray sending prayers

Omg :flushed: I’m about to have a boy please dont say it is typical for boys to behave this way. I seriously and truly doubt that… but I do honestly hope that you can fix the issue. I know that is frustrating. My girls are 15 and 20 and they drive me…

1 Like

You are describing my nine year old to the T! No advice but stick to your guns

do something now or it will get worse as a teenager and adulthood

There is nothing wrong with a good old fashioned spanking. Dont let people tell you different.

I’m literally in the same boat minus the stealing. I’m taking my son to the Dr bcuz this has to be a disorder of some kind. It’s unbearable!

He needs counseling… maybe there’s something else going on!

He might be being bullied and doesn’t know how to tell you.

Get him into counseling or talk to his dr about his behavior before it gets out of hand.

We took the door off the hinges when mine wouldnt mind and made sure to go in there daily not to snoop but to make them think you are

I believe you are correct stick to your guns, however, if he hits or kicks i FONT BELIEVE YOU SHOULD SPANK LIKE THE LADY SAID it only teaches him that its okay to hit or kick people cause now your doing the same. I BELIEVE there is other ways

Question… is he bad at school too??

My child does the exact same thing. I’ve spanked taken his toys away and nothing is working. I’m taking him to get professional help next month. It is horrible. He’s so bad and I can’t just can’t control him. So I know there’s an off balance somewhere

something more is going on than you can see

Have a cop come talk to him? I know it would be scary but maybe scare him alittle and make him wake up and think about what he is doing

Sounds like my son who is now 21. He started stealing at 4, had severe emotional issues with family members, kept stealing as he got older and was arrested multiple times. He always wanted to impress older kids. Later years we found out he was self medicating with alcohol and drugs his whole teen years. At 14 he had his first job as a snowboarding instructor. We live in a college town so he got drugs there. We finally found out he was bipolar once we committed him to a dual diagnosis center that treats drug addiction and mental health at 17 years old. I wish we would have taken him to multiple doctors at a young age to get him the help he needed. But we live in a rural.area with one pediatrician who said he was too young to diagnose and we were too naive. Your son definitely needs to know he is loved. He is confused whatever his particular issue is. Give him mom and dad gifts but not santa gifts. No matter how hard it is, let him know you are always there for him and get him the help he needs.

Sounds like something may have happened to him in the last few months, because kids don’t generally start acting up for no reason. You definitely have to stick to your guns. You can get him gifts, but don’t give them to him until he can sit down and tell you what may be going on. Maybe just grab him, hug and kiss him and tell him you love him even though he’s not being nice to you and your husband. Good luck and Happy Holidays!

Id never with hold xmas. Hes a child regardless. No child is perfect. My son, also 8, has been horrible for the past 6 months. But, his papa (they were extremely close) got sick and was in the hospital for 3 months and then passed end of aug. Ive talked to his dr and she said we will evaluate again after 9 mons. Maybe hes going thru something emotional and you are just not aware? If u take away xmas he will remember that the rest of his life. That one xmas he didnt get. Dont ruin his childhood to show dominance. Talk to a dr and see what steps need to be taken to find the root.

Dirty clothes on the floor means no clothes washed…no food leaves “x” area…stealing is another ballpark. It may mean you going too, but making him volunteer at that store…wash windows, sweep floors…something an 8yr old could do…
Also…make 1:1 time with him. Ask him open ended questions…anything bugging him, what feelings is he having? Is he feeling something he doesn’t know how to talk about?
At that age we began instituting family responsibilities…everyone that lives in our house is responsible for helping take care of it. Our son started with feeding pets, washing silverware, putting dried silverware away, sweeping kitchen. Expectations were set for picking up after self…shoes go in bin, coats hung up, dirty clothes in laundry room.
I have a chaulkboard cabinet. I will write a list of chores on it and our son knows that they need to be completed before there is access to tv or any video games. Video games are reserved for weekends only…and only of his grades are A’s and B’s…one C and video games gone until grade comes back up.
Play with friends, birthday parties, sports…nothing happens until things at home happen how laid out.
We also mandatory respect. One of us calls for him…the response we need to here is “coming”, or “on my way”. We ask him to do something…the response needs to be “yes Dad” or “yes Mom”.
In the end, it sounds like something has happened that he feels this is the way he needs to show it.
Let him know that no matter what, you love him.

He needs professional help.something is definitely wrong with him. Prayers

I couldn’t do that it’s Christmas that would make him feel really unloved

1 Like

Yes. You are doing the right thing. And get counseling ASAP

Might need to talk to counselor.

1 Like

You’re in the right. No presents.

1 Like

Sounds like hes acting out.

Santa Doesn’t bring presents to naughty children. My brother hit coal in stocking 1 year.

If he is stealing from stores let him spend a few hours in jail

I would nt give him presents either

He’s only 8 don’t take away his Christmas .

He needs counseling. Talk to the school and see if theres a program they can connect you with.

Bust his ass good and proper, before he starts busting yours.

Stay with it. You are doing the right thing

Bust his ass trust me it works wonders!

No kid should be without christmas, take him to the doctor for Anger issues

Stick to it your doing the right thing

Take him on a tour of jail

Also counseling will bring out things that you may not want to hear about such as molestation

You should have talked with his dr by now he may be adhd or something it’s your job to reach out for help
Don’t make his behavior worse by leaving him out of the celebration it will only cause more hard feelings

Prayers to you and your family I suggest Therapy :pray:t5:

I feel you but you can also scar him and do damage that cannot be undone. He needs professional help and you shouldn’t punish him for something he may not be able to control, without knowing why he’s acting out I think it’s to harsh of a punishment for an 8 year old. All these people telling you to stick to your guns, teach him a lesson none of that stuff worked on me it made me resent my parents and made me feel very bad about myself no one helped me deal with what was going on with me that was making me act that way I had to learn how to do it myself and I can tell you as a child it’s not fun it’s not fair because you don’t understand why you’re doing things and the adults around you don’t want to deal with it cause they are overwhelmed. It sucks being a kid knowing something’s wrong and noone understands. I will pray for you and you family. Get him real help and don’t give up on him

Sorry good ol fashion spanking! Withholding Christmas presents would be mental abuse just my opinion it does more damage then anything psychical

Stop the Santa crap :poop:.

If possible take him out side for a walk. Make him go just you and him give him a few minutes to calm down and then maybe ask him why he is acting out. He could be bullied at school or some where else he goes. Some one one one time with your and your husband or anyone else that is calm and will listen. Does he get picked on from his sister?? Depending on their ages. Does he act out at school? Do you feed him every few hours ( I have a nephew that was pretty good, but if he got hungry he was a terror) Does he eat lots of sweets?? Maybe protein might be added. A somewhat healthy snack it doesn’t have to be big and at regular times. Try to calm him down before it gets out of control. I agree with having him checked out and some tests to rule out a medical. Has he always been this way, have you moved, change jobs? Does he eat foods with dyes and artificial sweetener, those could cause problems. Do you have the air fresheners in your place they could be bad for him as well since they are ALL CHEMICALS. Have him write or draw in a journal type thing, he is old enough. Maybe a chore list and gold stars and tell him he can get something back in his room when things start to be better. But for now go for a walk even if only for 5 minutes if possible. If not You sit in the room with him and don’t say anything maybe just having you there will help. It is a very hard time for kids with so much that a lot of people do. Calming down the WHOLE family for a few hours every night would be good. When he is calm you can say how you feel when he acts out and what will happen when he does (punishment wise). Just try to really listen and pay attention to what is going on just before he gets out of control, Maybe an out side activity (from school/family) like rollerskating etc. Loudness of things could also be a problem so have his ears checked as well (hearing test) And good luck!!

1 Like

Cousoling would be a start

No presents… Take EVERYTHING out of his room. Put a mattress on the floor. And a few clothes… His sister can leave milk and cookies for santa and get Christmas presents. Let him live in “jail” for a few months. Hopefully it will turn him around. But if he steals again… He needs to learn his lesson… juvenile hall

2 Likes

Stick to your guns! If you dont it will reinforce that he will be rewarded for his bad behavior. And it will be harder to stick to em if you dont do it now.

2 Likes

Take every item he throws, bag it up and throw it,away. Clothes on the floor, wash and dry them then off to good will. If he ends up needing clothes, go to good will. He needs to learn. And never let him hit either one of you. Id blister his ass but good. No CHILD should ever be allowed to hit anyonr

Yes don’t give him any gifts. And he needs a good spanking every time he shows his butt. I don’t care what people say. That child is spoiled rotten. I have 2 sons and they would never lay their hands on me or treat me the way your son is treating you.

I don’t believe in beating your child but I do believe in spanking your child. You can’t sit there and let your child threaten you or hit you. YOU are the parent. Yes it’s hard to stick by your guns and your mom is going to say you are wrong I get it that trust me I do but he is your child not hers. If you don’t correct him know in your home someone outside will and it’s going to be worse. What worked for me I treated my at the time 10 yr old was I treated him like he did me. I showed him how it feels to be yelled at if he took something I made him take or give back and made him work to pay it off and still not give it to him. Doctors, counselors, and psychiatrist will say it’s all your fault they will say put them in time out or will say read body language talk to him with a soft voice none of that works. Best thing is teach him by doing it back to him. Then ask him how did you like it did it bother you well I/we don’t like neither then hug him show him the right way reward him when he does it right then praise him for it and always tell him you love him

Cancel Christmas for him

Good for you for sticking to your guns

Stick to your guns. Try getting therapy for him

stick to your guns and get your kid some therapy

Have you tried whooping his ass :sob::sob: