My AIRBNB had a camera and suposedly the wife didn't know we were there: Advice?

What exactly are you asking? You were ripped off. This is exactly why I’ll never trust an air BNB or whatever they’re called. I’m not sure what your question is or what you want advice on. You left to go home. Your vacation ruined. Either keep trying to get air BNB to refund you or let it go. Maybe even speak to the police Dept that showed up and ask THEM what can legally be done about it

10 Likes

AirBnB customer service is a joke. I had a couple bad experiences with hosts. In one instance, I received my money back. In the other, I got back maybe a third of it. Thieves!

Hope you get your money back. There’s not much you can do beyond wait to see if you’re refunded. If you are not, I’d consult with an attorney to see what your rights may be and if small claims court might be a good idea.

I always book through Booking.com
Host fees so much less and they are very responsive and you can call them directly if any issues. I have never had an issue with them. Hope all works out and yeah that’s a bit creepy. Sorry you and your family had a horrible experience.

4 Likes

This is bs! Call an attorney!

7 Likes

What’s the question?

2 Likes

I understand your frustrations… But do something besides making a huge time waste of a rant on Facebook… Get your family safe…

Sue hell out of them! This total bullshit :unamused::roll_eyes:

1 Like

Your renting/booking a home that is not yours…the owner is making money off the deal…you paid for the days for use of the home…what exactly we’re you expecting??

Scary!!! Air Bnc is due a Gia t lawsuit! I’ll Never use them!

So did the cops ever find or talk to the host? Was he staying in the basement just to rent the house out?

I’m sure you can rate the hostess so do that and keep bugging airbnb

1 Like

Keep on Airbnb. I’ve used them and only had one problem but money was refunded within a week. They were on immediately but banking stuff took longer to actually show on statement. Get the police report and show it to them to back up your info. Hope things work out. Btw that is very creepy on the husbands part not the wife she was just trying to protect her home. Can’t blame her if she did t know.

What a freakin nightmare. This is one case where theres grounds to sue them, not just for the money u lost in fees and whatever else, but for legit pain and suffering, traumatizing your kids, the inconvenience of having to cut ur trip short and drive home at 2am, in and on. I would sue their pants off. Keep all the evidence, the police reports, the proof there were no rooms, everything u have, and sue them dry. Maybe u could go on a good court show and expose these ppl, so everyone knows their faces. Let the public deal w them. Pick a good judge. Judge jerry is good, he may allow for pain and suffering and make them pay for it. He does so in circumstances like this. Explain ur seizures. Then theres judge judy who’s mean and will chew them like a dog on a bone, put them in theyr place so fast but idk if shed give pain and suffering but shell give u everything owed to u. I wouldnt let them get away w this.

That’s weird… Make sure you look into where your stayin at next time… Stop rushing girl, slow down

You may have grounds for a civil suit.

3 Likes

Where’s the question? I just read the whole story and no question was asked. :woman_facepalming:t2:

4 Likes

What a creepy married couple :flushed: now I want to know if the husband was watching them on another camera access and as they have kids…I am just totally grossed out.

1 Like

Read this. J.C. Thomsen

1 Like

George Weatherford read this :eyes:

This is absolutely horrifying. I hope you can salvage some of your vacation.

So what’s the question here? Or were you just venting?

4 Likes

Should have got a hotel

2000 for 4 nights that’s ridiculous :flushed:

8 Likes

I mean that’s definitely weird and creepy, but there’s no way you had to drive all the way back home. There’s def towns outside of DC with hotels in them that you guys could’ve stayed at instead of losing the whole vacation.

3 Likes

Airbnb requires if there is any cameras in the house, it needs to be disclosed right from the beginning.
If it does not, you can inform Airbnb and take action against the renter.

6 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. My AIRBNB had a camera and supposedly the wife didn't know we were there: Advice?

Air bnbs are allowed to have cameras in living spaces

8 Likes

I would have called the cops also. If you thought someone was breaking in why would you have sent your husband?

14 Likes

I used to love airbnb but here latley this has been happening alot. I hope you get your money back.

3 Likes

My heart started racing reading this. So many questions I hope you get the answer to.

5 Likes

On my . That’s just weird

1 Like

This why I dont do AIRBNB

2 Likes

So who was the weirdo creeping around the house the husband?

2 Likes

That is so creepy, i feel sick for you!!! Thats half the reason I don’t use Airbnb, there is no checks or strict regulations that are enforced, I tend to wait for hotels to have good specials and use those, hope you gave it a horrid review and got everyone else you know to do the same, so no other poor innocent families ever stay there.

6 Likes

Sounds like his wife was away and he took the opportunity to earn some cash but didn’t have anywhere to stay himself…so was staying in the basement…its weird he went through the house when you were out… I would want a refund too!

22 Likes

Lots of Airbnb’s have cameras in the general living spaces. They’re allowed to. And I don’t blame owners for using them. Especially in case there is damages. The husband obviously thought he was going to make a quick buck while his wife was out of town but didn’t want to have to leave himself.

6 Likes

The husband would have got his ass beat

Washington DC area… I’m an hour away and there’s plenty of bookings… :neutral_face:
Did you read reviews?

1 Like

I’ve heard so many terrible airbnb stories. We always use vrbo and have never had any issues

3 Likes

I honestly doubt you’ll get a refund. The husband of that house sounds like a peeping Tom that hides in the bushes. You did the right thing in going back home bc I would have done the same, or at least got a Motel 6.

5 Likes

I’m sorry but all I could think was this sounds like a lifetime movie. That really sounds like a nightmare, makes you never want to use Airbnb.

14 Likes

You lost me at “man in the bushes”. Nope.

9 Likes

Oh my GAWD I’m so soooooo sorry you and your family went thru this

I know people are saying that cameras are normal in some AIRBNB’s but honestly I think this guy had some set up because one they don’t rent the house out so everything that they own was still in the house and he had nowhere to put it or it’s part of the security system that they have. This guy obviously needs money and was being really sneaky while his wife was away and it’s unfortunate that he had to ruin someone’s vacation.

I know this probably comes as little comfort, but I am sooo sorry that happened to you and your family. Can I just take a moment to appreciate YOU and how YOU handled yourself in this ridiculously hard situation? You are a QUEEN! If it were me… I don’t think I would have handled it as well. Your story has given me inspiration and strength. YOU are an awesome person and THANK YOU for sharing.

23 Likes

That’s why i stick to hotels…i would have flipped

3 Likes

Maybe she called the cops because she knows her husband is a creep. I watch too many horror movies and crime shows I guess because all I can think is that he’s a murderer and planned this because his wife is away.

26 Likes

We use vrbo.com for all of our rentals and have never had any issues and scored some really good deals on the last few vacations we took!

7 Likes

As an AIrBNB host, that is absurd!! We do not have any cameras inside our house or anywhere on the premises, except for the entry gate! That’s a freaky sounding situation!! Certainly AirBNB will refund you your money. I would think that would be their policy. Glad everyone was ok!! If ever in Central Ms, we have a great BNB, without creepers & cameras!! :sweat_smile:

14 Likes

Always check out the reviews. We’ve used Airbnb a lot and always had good experience. I hope we never experience nothing like this.

4 Likes

This is exactly why I won’t do air bnb

3 Likes

Airbnb’s are crap. My brother in law came into town for his wedding next week with his (soon to be) wife and their 5 month old… The place they got was nothing like what was shown. Everything is extremely unkept and its an older small home with NO AC (even thou its listed as having it)
Every time they come they have a problem.

I have a friend who’s wife (they were separated at the time) rented their house out while she was on vacation and he came home because he knew she was gone and surprised the guests. He had no clue what was going on and also called the cops when these random people showed up. It could’ve ended so much worse. This is why I just stick to hotels. That is awful!

4 Likes

Whoah! That is super creepy, I’m so glad you guys got out of there safe. People are so strange. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I would go through air bnb for a refund and get a copy of any documentation from the cops

10 Likes

Contact your bank for a refund, also for everyone acting like the cameras are normal— it is not. You can not put cameras in a house & not tell a guest. Imagine if she was walking around naked or decided to have sex with her husband, this is insanely inappropriate all the way around.

This is common it just depends which one you pick. And bed and breakfast use to mean you rent a room at some ones home and eat dinner hosted by the home owner who is still living in the home. Only recently have airBNBs become popular where people are wealthy enough to have 2 homes and rent 1, as well as people needing a house to stay only short term. But that’s bad on the owners part for not disclosing that information. I’d ask for my money back.

2 Likes

I swear this reminds me of a creepy horror movie I saw recently that involved renting a vacation house which makes me never want to… hidden cameras :camera: creepy things being moved or opened… no thanks! I’m super skeptical and paranoid now!

5 Likes

Chris Sclafani could you imagine :laughing:

I’ve rented many of Air BnB’s and thankfully always had a great experience. Always read the reviews! I would have done the same and left. How creepy!

To hell with dinner. I would’ve left when I saw his ass creeping through bushes like Norman Bates then running away when he saw y’all. :woman_shrugging:t4::joy:

With good customer service you should always assume customer is right and take it from there until proven otherwise.

1 Like

Jenna Mae see. More weird shit to add to the list.

1 Like

If i was away from home & got a notification that someone was in my home I would call the cops. I wouldn’t call my husband or anyone. Why would I? From my knowledge someone is in my home who shouldn’t be.

As far as the husband creeping around that seems strange. I’ve never stayed at an Airbnb though.

4 Likes

This reminds me of that movie 13 cameras and also the reason why I don’t do BNBs. I would of freaked out and left too.

4 Likes

I would have called the cops first before my wife…other than that crazy story

1 Like

I hope you videoed what you seen., and I would take them to court if they don’t refund you.
Best wishes, and good luck.

2 Likes

Fantasía Roman Crazy! This is why reviews are important :sob:

So creepy I hope that you are able to get a refund

1 Like

Super creepy! We just stayed in a few on vacation and discussed the what if of this kind of scenario. Never had an air bnb that wasn’t as advertised though.

1 Like

Talk to the news media…bad publicity for them will reach far and wide,…maybe even get on national news.

5 Likes

Where was the camera? I would speak to the police on your behalf because that is creepy!

5 Likes

And this is why we never use Airbnb

3 Likes

Cameras/ video security are not allowed in airbnb homes without full disclosure. It’s in their rules.

6 Likes

Get the news involved. Air BNB will be quick to give you your money back.

24 Likes

One reason I’ll never use air bnb. I’d rather rent from an actual hotel chain. Some people are weird AF.

10 Likes

Honestly sounds like the beginning of a horror movie!

22 Likes

Gross. I’d never stay at an Airbnb

8 Likes

Let others know so they don’t rent it. They’re sick

4 Likes

I’m not at all happy with ABNB either. I was assulted at a property and now I have been kicked off the website and told I am no longer able to rent. WTF I was a victim of a crime where an arrest was made and charges were filed. I feel like I was victimized twice once when I was assulted and a week later when I was sent an email. I even sent them copies of the police report but nope. Not cool.

24 Likes

I’m just glad you up and left your safety and the children comes first - fight AIRBNB and ruin their reputation.

10 Likes

Speaking from experience - Airbnb deletes/hides conversations and requests so take screenshots of everything. And tweet. They respond to public tweets. Plus don’t settle for just Airbnb credits from them, instead get money refunded in your account.

19 Likes

I hope you leave the most vile comments on that air B and B page and house.

Shocking!

5 Likes

:speaking_head: H.O.E. (Hotels over everything)

10 Likes

It’s a good thing you trusted your momma instinct. I got a bad feeling about that whole situation just reading about it. None of it makes sense. That husband is clearly a creep and up to something extremely shady. Glad you’re all safe.

12 Likes

If you paid with your credit card, you have 120 days to dispute the charge. If you paid with your debit card you have 30 days from day of charge being paid. However, they may have an extension based on date of receipt for services.

8 Likes

I just…have no words at all. Airbnb sounds scary and I’ve heard so many bad stories about it so I think I’ll just avoid it altogether.

2 Likes

Do people not understand that some of these are vacation homes and people DO live in them for part of the year? Even so, he probably has a furnished basement suite. Maybe he lives in the basement while he rents out the upper unit. I’d put cameras in my shit too to prevent people who are careless and negligent from destroying my home and then denying their part.

If you found the camera, it wasn’t hidden.

Omg sounds Like s horror film setup…

6 Likes

I’m old school… I only stay in hotels and always book directly, never through an online travel sight!!! Hope you get a full refund and post the host name and address so others don’t have to deal with that creeper!

8 Likes

Omg that’s really scary! I’ve used air bnb here in the UK and never had any issues or have heard of any from anyone else. But when you put it like this, I guess anything is possible with these creeps around! I’m so glad you managed to prove why you were there and got your family out. Really sorry to hear you had a bad experience and had to drive all the way home though! Be sure to leave a review on there to warn others and if air bnb don’t pursue this then take it to the media :open_mouth: things could’ve been so much worse and you should’ve been protected x

2 Likes

That’s awful. So creepy. I hope you’re able to get a refund

2 Likes

Following…. Never in this situation but popped up on my newsfeed and I have always been interested in maybe getting an AirBNB, and even never experienced, I feel I can sense the honesty and the wrong that happened here and I’ve been in that position many times even if not Airbnb but something to me that seems so cut and dry of fucked up and I never once received justice no matter what it was I found myself on the short end of stick…. I’m following because first off, I would hope this story pans out and even though what you expected didn’t go as planned, you certainly deserve compensation in some way or justice, but also…. Following because clearly I am just now thinking about Airbnb’s and never been before in a position to do so but now I am and have thought about it and I come from a life of somehow if I didn’t have bad luck, I’d have none and I felt as I read this, it would be my story…. So thankfully, I haven’t yet experienced this but if I did with money now I never had but do now and would expect a nice time to have this experience, I’d be so upset if I didn’t get any justice to what is so clear unfair but I need to know the outcome of this…. Hope original poster as it’s anonymous posts the outcome! Lol

That’s terrible. I hate when people say, “mind you” drives me nuts! I hope you get a refund.

My biggest Airbnb fear. I know everyone seems to love them but I am a hotel girl all the way. Never tried one

6 Likes

You also don’t have to stay in dc :unamused:

How did this home get approved as an Airbnb? I thought you had to go through a rigorous process to get approved. Eek!

8 Likes

I hope you find a way to deal with stress.

2 Likes

Oh my gosh! How scary! I would be freaking out! I’m glad your intuition was screaming at you! :worried:

1 Like

I just want to throw this out there that many Airbnb’s have cameras and they are allowed to except in bedrooms or bathrooms due to privacy reasons. You are going into someone’s home not a multimillion dollar corporate hotel. So the camera shouldn’t be too surprising. But the wife not knowing and calling the cops that’s a whole batch of chaos nobody wants to deal with.

10 Likes

Exactly why I said inwould never use airbnb. I feel like its app for these kinds of situations to happen or worse. Very scary moive sounding( not saying your lying at all, I’m saying on the owners part)

1 Like