My bonus sons mom doesn't tell us when he is sick

Honestly, courts will typically tell you that illness (unless very severe) is no reason NOT to send your child on visitation with the other parent.
Simply request via text that if the child is having symptoms of illness that you be informed before hand so you can have time to pick up meds or necessary items to care for child on the visit.

4 Likes

When my son is sick he stays home and doesn’t go to his dads till he’s better.
And I expect the same from my partners daughter too.
If we are sick she won’t come and stay with us or vice versa.

Why spread sickness across households when it can be contained to one housing unit vs possible spreading across 3 of them.

Same concept if my family is sick or a friends family is sick we don’t hang out even if it’s a cold/flu. Why unnecessarily spread sickness.

3 Likes

I mean kids get sick. That’s just life. U can’t keep a kid home just because they r sick. Now she is in the wrong for not keeping him home when she knowingly was exposed to covid. But otherwise as parents you should always be prepared for a sick kid and not stay away because of it

1 Like

Do I think that it would be convenient for her to say something sooner? Yes.

It would make it easier to run errands and grab things he might need.

Do I think his weekend with his dad should be canceled, No.

When you make the decision to have children you don’t get to opt out of parenting due to Illness.

I do believe that maybe some of the lack of communication is stemming from other emotions, however for me personally (because I’ve dealt with people like this) I would learn to start asking questions so I can be prepared for whatever situation I will encounter when receiving the son.

5 Likes

I guess I have an unpopular opinion… but if he’s sick there is say he needs to stay and get better, and if he got sick with you guys should stay and get better with you. I do think it’s selfish to pass the sickness all around when it can be contained and also to not let you know so you can be prepared is just shitty

It’s Dad’s job to help when he’s sick as well. It’s nobody’s fault that you have a weakened immune system. She’s doing all the right things to make sure that their son and his father have a relationship, regardless of he’s sick or not. Maybe when he’s sick and he’s with you guys, you can stay with a family member or a friend if your so worried to minimize the risk to everybody.

6 Likes

If it’s Dad’s weekend, it’s Dad’s responsibility. Sick or not!

6 Likes

With your weakened immune system, when he is sick she needs to keep him until he is no longer contagious, she is being selfish because it sounds like she send him to y’all when he is sick so she doesnt have to take care of him… Talk to your SO and come up with a plan of action for when this happens in the future. You have to be on the same page when it comes to the kids because if not it will cause strife in the relationship.

1 Like

Sick back and let dad be there for his kiddo, he’s there a lot because that’s his dang dad :laughing:

2 Likes

Why can he watch him when he’s sick? Why is only her responsibility? If he’s sick on weekdays she has him? She need to rest too!!!

Your husband should still take care of his sick kid on his weekend. It’s still his court ordered parenting time. If you had cancer or a compromised immune system I could understand but like that’s your child. Kids get sick.

1 Like

I get what everyone else is saying. But when my step kids are sick they stay home with their mom. We have kids in both households so it’s easier that way. Our situation I don’t think it’s selfish. We’re adults thinking of all the children.

1 Like

Sick kid should get tested for covid, if negative then dad can help with child. Whenever results come, child should quarantine with whichever parent had him at the time of results, like when he was with dad. I see where people say dad can help too and illness is different, but he should still get checked. I have 2u2, 10 ur old, and 14 yr old s.d. I don’t appreciate people coming and exposing my family. My son is high risk, and we can’t afford to quarantine from work with no pay simply because of negligence. I get things happen, but precaution helps immensely.

1 Like

Covid is a different story to general gastro.

Yes during the covid outbreak she should have isolated the entire family. That’s government rules.

Do I think she’s in the wrong for not advising you that the child was sick at school yes. It was Dads weekend, arrangements should have been made for Dad to collect the boy and take him home to care for him.

My sons father won’t take him when he’s
Sick because he can’t miss work… but I have the work from home option so it’s always my responsibility. I want my son with me regardless so I don’t fight him on it. I might get frustrated that he
Gets to pick and choose but at the end of the day I’m happier
When he’s with me

Young one - she isn’t the best mom - but you are. You’re a good Momma- it shouldn’t matter - the kid is sick. I do agree she should have notified you earlier- and the bs with Covid isn’t cool either. But at least you know the lil’ one is being taken care of - remember to ( being a former educator) kids are lil’ germ carriers- it is what it is - but this is how their and your immunity gets stronger.

Although I get what you’re saying, and agree she should give you a heads up……it’s still his kid therefore his responsibility also…

1 Like

It’s his kids to and he can handle his sick child on his time.
You need to butt out

She can tell you guys but dad is the other parent he still needs to take him and help . I’m sorry you have a weakened immune s system but it shouldn’t all fall on mom . Wear a mask or keep your distance , you can’t ask him to stop being a parent