My boyfriend becomes abusive when he drinks: What should I do?

Leave him now! It’ll only get worse

2 Likes

Run for it and get away from him !!! It is not getting better - EVER !!!

2 Likes

Leave now! You can’t argue with an alcoholic PERIOD! I grew up in a home with an alcoholic step father who was verbally, mentally and physically abusive and it was a prison of hell. My brother and I became beautiful and strong thanks to my beautiful mother who endured the stupidity of all that crap for 15 years and it took my brother and I plotting his death for her to leave and she finally snapped. We both became soldiers and really good ones my brother even gave his life in the line of duty. Leave Now! Pack your things and never look back. I saw things no child should have to! Women are strong and we just have to find the strength within ourselves! Leave that coward and never look back! You deserve the sunshine and someone will give that to you!

3 Likes

Leave the asshole, he obviously sees nothing wrong with the way he acts so therefore will always put the blame on you, he’s not going to get any better if he can’t even own up to his own shit! It’ll only get worse, you should leave him!

Yeah get the Hades out of that relationship. I put up with that exact same thing for 11 years and have I finally had my fill and left never to go back to it. Thank God he gave me the courage to do it and the will power to stay gone

All of these comments are saying the same thing, apparently we or someone we know have been there and done that. LEAVE

He will never change except he will get more abusive…Please leave before that happens

Leave or get ready to possibly get hurt so bad physically that you end up dead or in the hospital or next time it happens call the cops and press charges then pack and leave and get a restraining order

Bye,bye !keep walking and don’t go back, don’t be he’s punching bag,

Leave him love yourself more don’t stay with a drinker and a abuser there’s something better for you .

Run when he’s sober on I’m sorry I won’t do it again the honeymoon period then drunk again it’s all your fault ,I have lived this yrs ago they get so bad you will fear for your life I have had yrs of therapy,surgery and the horror stories are unreal please leave

Why should any woman tolerate such crap from any man. I’m blessed with a fantastic husband of 22 years. I left another man that loved his alcohol for my now hubby. Best thing that I ever done

If he is not willing to stop the drinking than I would tell you to leave, not to give you false hope. But my dad was the same when he drank, at one point he went to jail and had to take anger management classes, he realized if he didnt and got lucky my mom didnt press charges well…he’d have been deported and lost his family, after awhile they separated and 2 years later realized they couldnt be apart. (He would send money everytime to make sure we were okay) they have been married 25…26? Years, I think 26. But, he stopped drinking FOR HER and FOR US. (My half brother too, he became a son to our dad). Now, if he WANTED to he could always find resources to help him quit. But at the end of the day if he choose not to, you cant force him and you’ll be better off single than being abuse

Sounds like you need to play grit-ball.

1 Like

Do you want to live or die your choice

1 Like

All I read was the first sentence and clicked comment just to say “LEAVE” I’ve lost a friend to Domestic Violence before so the sooner the better GIRL RUN

1 Like

He doesn’t want to change. My bf now had an alcohol problem as well. But he’s been going to AA meetings and counseling. Things have changed since then. He also goes to the gym to distract himself. They need to want to change

2 Likes

LEAVEEEEE NOW !

it only gets worse and i am speaking from 7+ years of experience.

I survived a long 7+ years domestic violence/abuse.
You can do this !

i found the most amazing man and i am the happiest i have ever been in my life.

You need to gain some self worth hun. Work on your self esteem.:heart:

1 Like

I’m not reading the rest of that after the first sentence. Leave I know it’s hard but no one deserves to deal with any of that. Sweet heart that’s not love

2 Likes

He’s abusive when he drinks he’ll more.than likely continue it with out alcohol. He likes alcohol more than you leave.

2 Likes

Leave know what u will accept and it shouldn’t be alcohol

It is only going to get worse leave

1 Like

Fucking leave!! Why is this even a question. If u stay, you like it.

He’s an alcoholic. It will only get worse if he’s not willing to admit he has a problem. I’d say leave, unless you want to continue to be abused and miserable.

1 Like

Sticking around will cause you health issues you are staying cause you love him but clearly he doesn’t see that. People who take advantage of you and think it ok need you to be the bigger person and leave .

If by based on your headline sentence he’s abusive it’s time to walk away from him for your safety and kids… no one deserves to be in a full time or part time abusive relationship over alcohol when he can get help or kick rocks

1 Like

leave him Now. it will only get worse. I know after he sobers up he says he is sorry and he loves you and he will quite. BS they do not change. the fact that he has done it more than once proves it

1 Like

Let me tell you a story about my friend Lauren who was murdered by her husband three days before christmas this year, leaving behind 3 daughters who will never get to spend another day with their mother and the youngest lost her mom and dad because the ba***d is in jail on murder charges.
To answer your question, you absolutely need to leave. Lauren’s husband was also abusive when he drank and she thought he would change…he didnt.

1 Like

I went through the same thing…I left and didn’t look back. I’ve never been happier!

1 Like

Didn’t even read anything after that first sentence. Get out fast

1 Like

I’ll tell you the same thing I tell people on Quora when this kind of question is asked: Boyfriends are optional. Exercise your option for a clean break before this guy tries to put a ring on it. Alcoholics don’t bring happiness.

1 Like

Leave. My ex was the same way and it only got worse

1 Like

Get out ! It doesnt stop.luckily i got out with my life.GET HIM OUT OF YOUR LIFE PLEASE

2 Likes

Leave before he kills you!!!

Get out while you still can

Alcoholics don’t bring happiness, get out fast.

He needs to go. He’s not gonna stop with you, it’s only a matter of time until he really hurts you, any children if involved, or even pets. Please please please don’t let yourself be one of the numbers (women killed by partners) seek help and seek support

1 Like

Key- Boyfriend, kick him to the curb. Move on. You are more valuable than that. Run now.

Leave. It will get worse…it WILL NOT STOP. Get out.

Leave before he hurts you

It will only get worse.

Get out now before he kills you

Been there with the abuse. Gets worse as the days go on. My husband is on the verge now of going over the edge. He doubles his fist up but don’t act. I see it coming some day but hopefully I will have enough in me to respond. What a life.

Just get out no more

Leave now b4 its to late

Get out while you can. Leave fast , you don’t need to be treated that way you deserve better

Show him where the front door is after he packs his bags. For one it’s your house, your a non drinker so he should respect that and obey it. The most important, no man should ever put his hands on you when he’s drunk or orally abuse you. Kick him to the curb!!! It doesn’t get any better if anything it will get worse.

1 Like

You need to get rid of him.

He needs AA, and a lot of solo reflection time. You need to find someone who respects these seemingly basic boundaries.

It’s not your fault, your deserve better. Dump him now before he kills you

If the alcohol doesn’t go he would, been there and he stopped drinking, its been over 20 years.

I didnt even read 2 the end!!! Get out now! Before its 2 late!!

Leave dumb ass before he kills u

1 Like

I only read the headline…

Leave now!

My advice is that you leave. Don’t make an announcement, pack your bags and leave when he’s not looking. Don’t give him warning, he’ll just plead with you to stay and you might fall for it. I’ve been down this road, in this exact situation. It never gets better, only worse, in time he’ll start being abusive without the alcohol.

2 Likes

From experience; leave immediately. Things will only get worse and not better. You can not fix him nor should you have to. I kept staying in a similar relationship and one night in a drunken rage he almost killed me. Started strangling me, hit me in the head with a gun, ripped my clothes off, and beat me while our young children were present. This was 25 years ago. After giving yourself time to heal you will find someone else who is truly worthy of your love.

You should leave. That’s abuse. You deserve better. You’re not doing anything wrong. He’s the one that’s in the wrong. He needs help and you can encourage him to do so, but that’s all you can do for him. Believe in yourself and walk away so that you’re free for when someone that truly loves and respects you comes around.

A change phone # and address - you can’t fix abuser -
He just change victims ,
It takes years to heal from the toxic relationship-
Leave-

Get out, it’s not going to change and most likely will get worse, but have learnt you won’t leave until you have had enough. Hopefully you get out before it does or you have children

You need to sit down and think what kind of life and future you want. Apparently this is not what you want because you would not be posting if it were. Leave while you can. Be strong enough for yourself to get out no matter what it takes. Alcoholics don’t change nor do they care what they do or who they hurt , just have to have the drink.

2 Likes

Leave. I spent 15 years with an alcoholic/addict. It only gets worse. I couldn’t take it anymore, I tried everything so I took our two girls and left. I’ve honestly never been happier.

2 Likes

END THIS …I went through 3yrs period that took a physical and mental toll on me…He blamed everything but himself .Times where I can tell anyone YOU NEVER WANT TO BE…
Please recognize your Strengths and Self Worth…

2 Likes

My ex. And he was a worthless drunk. He drank every chance he got, guilted me into giving him money (refused to work more than a month or two at a time) and he would drink my money away. I stayed with him for 6 years. The end of it was him leaving his Facebook logged in and I saw his messenger was open. He spent the entire 6 years cheating on me, and when I confronted him, he was piss drunk. He said he didn’t know what I was talking about, I told him I screenshot everything and was sending the conversation to the woman’s husband. He threw me around the room, and then kicked me in the chest, with steel toe boots on. That was my last straw.

1 Like

Well I say leave as soon as you can. I stayed… he said he would stop, it was my fault I shouldn’t have pissed him off, thought my name was u f*ing ct, always went through honey moon stage. So that alone meant he was sorry right? Well one night he slammed me into the window sill first thing he said when he saw it was “you gotta lie say you fell down the steps cause ur drunk u hear me?!” I was rushed to hospital left my kids home alone trying to figure out babysitter covered in blood. Life flight standing by 56 stitches later on my face!!! I walked out and went home. No one helped me. Not even his parents! I have no family. Do say it won’t happen to you it will it can. We were married 18 years. It started right off month after we got married. Please go talk to someone don’t let me hurt u! Good luck so sorry u have to go through this. I feel u

1 Like

Get out of the relationship while you can! Believe me he won’t change and you’ll eventually get hurt real bad, I delt with and alcoholic and a drug user there was no getting better it got way worse before I finally took my babies and left. There was nights I prayed he wouldn’t come home because then I knew I’d at least have peace for a little while!! :broken_heart::disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved:

6 Likes

stand your ground. it only gets worse… never better. I was in a similar situation… father to my five children, 16 year relationship… each year I had hoped it would get better… only got bitter!

The bible says everything in moderation. Do not drink to get drunk. It opens doors for other things to happen like abuse, adultry. You deserve better than that. He needs to stop drinking or you need to leave.

Big red flags. Get out, not healthy. Listen to your heart and if your asking, then you already know that your gut feeling is talking loud to you. What others are telling you is true live things. It’s sad to say but he is not going to change. Just don’t feed into him or lite the fire, take the big step out. Its upsetting and scary, but you will be good.

2 Likes

Get the heck out, NOW!! and dont look back! Trust me. Ive experienced it first hand & the violence just escalated over the years :worried:

Walk away. It’s hard to think about especially if you’ve been with them a long time (I was with my kid’s father 10 years, same situation). He wasn’t always like that, but he would get to where he’d scream at me if I confronted him about not coming home if he was drunk. I learned that he has to be the one to want to get help, no matter how much I begged and pleaded. When he wants to get help, if he needs me, I’ll support him the best way i know how, but I can’t be with him anymore. Too much has happened.

2 Likes

RUN, don’t walk. Lived it for 17 yrs begging & pleading & he would be good for a wk or so & bam same song & dance all over. Been divorced 7 yrs now & so much more peacefulness in my life. As for him he is still alone & drinking himself into a grave, yes I know this for a fact as I still talk to my stepson. It will get worse if you stay & allow it to continue. Best of luck Dear

1 Like

There must be a reason one resorts to drinking. If he or she can admit to this then the road for recovery is in view. Get help. Attend support group such as AA. There is one in Antigua. If you can afford it check into a rehab centre such as cross road. If not sign up for counselling and support from National Drug Information Centre and follow through. Get help for you and your love one. You never know how you contributing to this behaviour. In man’ defense, maybe its the only time the poor man retreat to defend himself from wife /girlfriend abuse too. :heavy_check_mark: check where apply.

He needs help but he wont get it til he realizes he has a problem and wants change. Dont let him get away with being abusive. Tell him he eather gets help or you cant do this until he does!!! It wont open his eyes unless he wants it to. Prayers for you and him. Its a disease n he needs help. Some of the people i love the most are acholics and i cant even hardly be around them when they are drinking or even talk to them on the phone. Its very hard to go through!!

What you see is what you get. It does not change with time. Get out.

Get out of there pronto, take it from somebody who has lived that life xx good luck

1 Like

Speaking from experience move out. Tell him if he loves you then go to aa and get dry or he can live alone u not doing it anymore. This can become violent situation and you get hurt worse. This is not healthy relationship at all. He needs help i been sober for 26years and quit smoking also. My choice drink was what called liver killer. And smokes so much spent over 50 week on cigarettes. So best is to get out while you can b4 it gets worse

1 Like

I had a boyfriend that was so great. I loved him, he loved me. But he drank and when he did he was very verbally and emotionally abusive and on the edge of being physically abusive. He would apologize and say he would quit drinking. He would drink again in a few days and it would all happen again. He threw something at me once and it hit my leg and cut it. That’s when I left for good. Verbal and emotional is bad enough. Would not go through being physically abused.
**You have to respect yourself enough to not put up with it if he won’t respect you enough to not do it.

Stand you ground . You are right and if he can’t abide by the no alcohol rule leave him .

It’s your house. Boot him out. Don’t put up with abuse. Don’t ever let someone, something or a job drag you down. Life has too much to offer to put up with crap. Go get the life you want. It’s out there. Go find it.

I’m just going to say be careful but just because you take alcohol out the home doesn’t mean he cant get any. The alcohol isn’t the issue it’s the man

1 Like

Sounds like it happens often. Which leads me to believe it’s alcoholism. You should leave. Soon to be toxic environment. & Hope he either gets help or stops drinking since he can’t handle it.

Drop him it never gets better it gets worse. I would say stop drinking and go to treatment or I’m gone. There are no second chances after he kills you

Get out while u can before it is too late

LEAVE. if he does ever sober up it will be the same and if he relapses then what. Dont make the same mistake I did… now I’m in a huge mess right now trust me leave it isnt impossible.

Bust him upside the head witha seasoned 2x4 … It’ll sober him real quick …

Is he choosing alcohol over you? Walk out!!

I recently quit drinking because of said behaviors…my relationship was more important…

I waisted 42 yrs of my life being married to an Alcoholic and we had 4 children and 9 grandchildren and he done the same thing to me and I finally called out to God and said that I could not take it anymore and he left with in 1 hour and I filed for divorce and it’s been almost 4 yrs and he’s worse then ever. I praise God that I made it out alive. All my children are grown and I wish I would have done it when they were young, because he made their life hell to. Good luck and ask God for the strength of the GIFT OF GOODBYE.

Get the hell out of there it won’t get any better but it will get worse call 911 and get out

Drop the guy. One of my boyfriends was like that went to my dads funeral with bruises and my teeth knocked out. Praying for you.

Been there and lift that life myself after many years of him trying to get sober I realized he just didn’t want it enough. I backed up my kids clothes and my stuff and got the hell out he was not a good role model for our children

I live that life stay together for all the wrong reasons I would tell you run as fast as you can and get away from him

Call Cps anonymously… Or have a friend do it. He will have tp take classes, stop drinking and u keep child while he does all court orders

Move on, it wont get better, he had a problem,that he will not face, he does not need to make you feel bad,its not your problem its his,get out asap,go to shelter if you have to!!!

Get out…Love hurts sometimes in more than one way…Your life is more important than his…go fast…

Leave been there done that doesn’t get better never changes only gets worse

Walk away now. It will not get any better. Other option is he’s got to go to sleep.

Get out. Just went through this for 2 years and it progressively got worse. He didnt even care that I was pregnant with his daughter, or after I had her and then we got pregnant again. Get out now

Give him an ultimatum: you or alcohol. If he doesn’t choose you, leave. Rather be alone that beat up or dead.

Leave him or he will end up hurting or killing you. At least your boyfriend does not cheat on you when he’s really drunk and you catch him