My boyfriend finds it disturbing that my 6-year-old son still co-sleeps with me: Thoughts?

:face_with_raised_eyebrow: ur kids come before a man…who cares what he thinks. Do what u think is best

you do what seems right for you

Get rid of that boyfriend !!!

needs his own bed,should of been in his own bed at3yrs old,everyone needs there own space

Get rid of the jerk. Kids first.

Sounds like you’re all a bunch raising a bunch of snowflakes

His own bed for sure!!

Please get rid of this man

To each his own but I don’t believe children need to sleep in their parents beds. When they’re sick and not well that’s one thing to sleep close and coddle them but not on a regular basis.

You the parent and it sounds like your BF is an asshole and you need to move on. My kids 4,6 and 8 all sleep in there own bed since they were 3. However if they are sick or we are on vacation they still sleep with me if they want to. They are KIDS it’s not gross. Your BF needs to grow up!

Let your son sleep with you as long as he needs to. Get rid of the so called boyfriend. He sounds like a asshole and you shouldn’t have to put up with someone like that coming between you and your son

2 Likes

Lose the boyfriend. If he’s making fun of you and your son it’s obvious there’s more mental abuse to come!!!

Dump him! Making fun of your son and you, and he used the word disgusting! Dump him and don’t look back!

It’s not so disturbing when it was just you and him but now you have your son sleeping in a bed with a man and you. Not normal. Not healthy.

1 Like

First of all, dump his ass.
2nd, keep doing whatever the hell u wanna do with YOUR child and sleeping arrangements.
Buh Bye boyfriend

The way that fellow behaved was appalling. No disagreement should be handled in such a cruel way. Teasing your son?! Disgusting jerk.

The boyfriend sounds like a loser and is jealous of you and your son. He needs to go

He’s too big to sleep in bed with you…what about if you want to be intimate with your partner? Kids and adults need their own space to have privacy and down time. That being said, the bf shouldn’t belittle you or your son. Cut the cord.

Dump his ignorant ass!! Your kid always comes first

He sounds like a jerk, he needs to go,

He is jealous! Don’t worry about what that evil minded idiot thinks!

He sounds like an asshole :woman_shrugging:t2:

Get rid of that loser

I don’t think it’s disturbing. Everyone is different my oldest and I both became septic after emergency c-section and he had health issues. He was in bed with me until he was almost a year. My youngest was in bed a couple months. You just have to see what works for you. If your son is in school he may be made fun, but your brother has no business being that person. Your child’s feelings are more important than the bfs (IMO). If you are wanting to transition him, maybe you can decorate his room cool and have a special bedtime routine. You could also get a baby monitor or camera to check on him and communicate back and forth.

2 Likes

I didn’t get out my mums bed until I was 16! I’ve 8 kids 22/2 & all still get in withbme n cuddle up,there should be no age limit as long as you have clothes on. Mine only get in with me tho x

4 Likes

My daughter 5 and son 2 both sleep with us… It’s just what works for our family for now. My husband has never once complained and I’m pretty sure he loves the family cuddles as much as the kids and I do. They’re only little a little while. Do what your heart tells you Mama. :two_hearts:

10 Likes

My son is 18months old and used to fall asleep with me but he wont sleep anywhere other than his cot nw. Sometimes I wish he would just cuddle up and go to sleep with me but I guess he is happy in his own bed but i still have that bond with him regardless to whether we co sleep or not. I think u nw when it’s the right time… I get it can affect your love life having a child in with u every night but it’s your child and your decision x

I’ll be the odd ball out and say it’s time for your 6 year old son to sleep in his own bed.

Your boyfriend’s approach and way of communicating his concerns are all wrong.

But, it’s time. There isn’t a single thing wrong with letting your babies sleep with you, nap with you etc. but it shouldn’t be an every night type of thing. There are certain young adult transitions that need to be made. Bottles and pacifiers provide love and comfort but you for damn sure wouldn’t let your 6 year old walk around with one. Lol

100% judgement free, just offering my honest opinion. :heart:

48 Likes

Man fuck him. If sleeping with you makes your child feel safe then oh well. My daughter has anxiety and she slept with me until she was 5 and then we got her her own bed but still in our room. It sucks being small and afraid and not having that comfort . :frowning: My husband had no problem with it. But she was getting to big and it was just super uncomfortable. So she movers to her own bed and gradually we are moving her to her own room . Out babies are only small for so long then we are gonna wish we held on to them longer. :heart:

Only reason I would be uncomfortable is space. I like my space. But my parents had my brother in their bed for so long! Once he started like first grade they turned it in to a weekend thing. Like, he could sleep with them on the weekend but in his bed all week. Then they dropped it down to just one night on the weekend. Then that faded as well. Worked well for them and him.

3 Likes

My son slept in my bed until he was 10. (He’s 13 now) We both went to sleep feeling loved and calm. I think it’s beautiful that they want to be so close to you. We only have them so little for such a short while before they grow up and enter the big wide world as an adult and by then they don’t want to be cuddled to sleep. Literally blink and they are all grown up. My daughter is 3 and I do the same with her now. I say milk it for all it’s worth Mumma! :heart:

32 Likes

my son is now 7 and he still sleeps with me and his father, together with his 4 siblings…:relaxed::relaxed::relaxed:

I just recently stopped sleeping with my daughters in my bed. But I mean I still sleep extremely close to them cuz I’m too nervous to not be near them. I think it’s perfectly normal. I slept with my grandmother til I was about 7? I think it’s fine. He’ll move to his own bed when he’s ready or when you’re ready.

It’s doesn’t last forever, bond while you can.

All my kids sleep with me at some point… my oldest is 10 and still sleeps in my bed with his two siblings. Not every night but it does happen. I can wake during the night and find my two boys crashed out on the end of bed lol… who cares what he thinks.

My son 8 and still comes to next to me to sleep . Not disturbing at all…

No my boys have always sleep in there rooms my husband and i in our room.

1 Like

Okay I’m gonna be the odd ball out here. I have a 4 year old step son and it REALLY bothers me when he slept with us as he got older. I didn’t mind when he was little cause I agreed he just needed his parent and also was close with me. As he’s gotten older it makes me uncomfortable sleeping in a bed with a child that isn’t my own. Maybe your bf feels the same way and doesn’t know how to express it. I now have my own son and I do occasionally sleep with him but if he were wanting to sleep with me every night at the age of 6 I would draw the line. That’s just my personal opinion. My four year old step son still comes to our bed every night but at least we try to get him in his own bed. It still makes me uncomfortable however.

43 Likes

I think if it was an issue it should have been discussed prior to moving in together. It sounds to me like your son has gone through some big changes and adjustments and now may not be the time to address this issue.

It’s something else, he’s using that as an excuse

7 Likes

As adults do you like sleeping alone ? Then why do we expect our children too ? :thinking:

My kids slept with me on and off till ab out the age of five. It is a transitional period and will be diff for the both of you. I found it best to spend time with them before bedtime. Reading to them or just laying in their bed with them and watching t.v. The important thing here is to be consistent, if you say they are not to sleep in your bed anymore then by all means stick to that or you will make it even harder to break them of it. Good luck!

My son is 10 and still sneaks into bed with us every once in a while. I don’t see a problem with it. He is a great snuggler.

4 Likes

My daughter sleeps with me every night. But if my babe spends the night she sleeps on her own bed with no problem. But if he actually said something to me I’m very rebellious and petty lmao dont tell me what to do

Men can be relpaced. Your son cannot. Forget the guy. Cosleep with that baby and snuggle as long as he wants to. Plus Dude sounds like a POS if he left you for that. Stay strong mama. :two_hearts::hugs:

36 Likes

I think that kids are little for just a little while then they grow and leave. Your BF needs to understand that one day your son, sooner than you think will be in his own bed but in between that time he is feeling loved and safe.

2 Likes

My son is 6 and he would sleep in his own bed and sometimes with me and his daddy up until a couple months ago when I had our second son. Now the baby is in our room so he stays in his own room now. I don’t think there is anything wrong with co-sleeping. However, it might be time to start having him sleep in his own bed a couple times a week so he can start getting used to it. Otherwise it’ll be harder to transition when he’s older.

3 Likes

My baby is three and still sleeps with my wife and me. There is nothing wrong with keeping our baby close and making him feel safe until he’s ready. Your momma and will always know best. :heart:

12 Likes

I hope my son (and all my kids) still crawl in to bed with me when they come home to visit when they’re off in college. When my mom comes to visit I sleep with her still!

Absolutely nothing wrong with that at all!!

1 Like

Your Son’s love and comfort comes first!!!

9 Likes

My son slept with me until he was 7! He is just fine.

1 Like

My kids slept in their own beds since day one. I personally don’t agree with co sleeping :woman_shrugging:t2: but to each their own. Since you now have a significant other living with you maybe it’s time for your son to sleep on his own. He’s definitely old enough too.

1 Like

My grandson checked out of my bed when he was 8

My 8 year old daughter still sleeps with me.

I see nothing wrong with this but he doesn’t understand then I’m sorry bye bye

My girls slept in my bed till they were teenagers… an still would today if they could

Sounds like jealousy!! Its his problem.

9 Likes

And why are you still with this “man”??

9 Likes

My kids did not sleep with me.

My 2 boys always slept with me , mostly because I couldn’t afford to get them their own bed , until my oldest was 14 , all 3 of us in a queen size bed.

:-1: 🙅🏻 No he’s wrong absolutely wrong in so many ways on so many levels I’m a 51 yr old GRAMMA with 4 grown kids 3 sons 24 22 19 and 1 daughter who is 21 and 6 grandkids all under age 6 I find it very disturbing of him

1 Like

It isn’t any of any boy friends business about you and your kids

He needs to sleep in his own bed. He can join us on special Saturdays or movie night but he needs to sleep in his own bed!!

Focus on what is best for you and your son!!! If your bf doesn’t like it, too bad!! I have a 3 year old and a 10 month old and they BOTH sleep with me. When they’re ready to sleep in their own then they will but I will not rush or force anything. They are only little for so long. Soak up all the love you can get before they start hating you!

2 Likes

I was a single mom and my daughter slept with me from birth until she was almost 8. It was her choice to stop, when I married her stepdad. I agree, they’re only little for a little while. Now she’s 21 and has her own place.

My oldest will be 9 in a few days and he still sleeps with my husband and I on occasion. Almost every night one of our 3 boys is in bed with us, usually the 3 year old. With that being said, if he’s tried to talk to you about this before and you just blew him off I might be upset too. 8 months is still a pretty new relationship. You’re still trying to figure each other out, you need privacy and if your little guy is always in bed with you, boyfriend might be getting frustrated.

My brother is 7 and still sleeps with my parents. My daughter is only 15 months and still sleeps with me.

1 Like

I have never co slept with either of my boys. Not my thing. But I understand step parents or whatever they are, not being comfortable in a bed with a child that isn’t theirs. If I was him I would be weirded out too, honestly.

He new you has a son don’t let him tell you what to do mem come and go your son will always be with you love your son and take care of him God bless you and your son

My boys only slept in bed with me & my husband, if they were sick. Other than that they slept in their own room. And I have a very strong bond with my sons.

Mine are 8&7 and still come in bed in the middle of the night. Enjoy it before you know it he will be grown. Leave that jealous guy.

Imo…the bf is the problem, not your son. They will only cuddle in your bed for so long and then they grow up, enjoy it while you can.My son is 4 sleeps with us and we are fine with it. We let him fall asleep and will move him to his room when we want to have our alone time and then put him back or either wake up early to him coming back in our room lol Don’t let anyone make you feel like you are doing wrong…time flies enjoy the cuddles

9 Likes

My daughter never slept with me. I personally think it’s ok until school age though. After that I agree with him it’s weird. But again it’s your boy, you do what you want.

I have a 9 year old who still sleeps with me when he gets scared or is upset.

This is my philosophy. They are only kids once. He will one day sleep in his own bed. One day you will look up and he will be a teenager and doing his own thing. Let him sleep with you and get rid of the boyfriend. My son is 11 and sleeps with me and my husband. I will allow him to sleep with us as long as he wants to. He will get older and eventually sleep in his own bed.

1 Like

First of all that baby boy has been in your life for 6 years…this guy came along months ago. Don’t ever let anyone tell you how to parent. Especially if it isn’t his father!

1 Like

My daughter is 2 and still sleeps with me and my husband and I have a month old son who sleeps in a co sleeping bed next to me…I fell more comfortable knowing my kids are close I’ve seen way too many movies…

1 Like

My oldest nephew is 7 and he still sleep with his parents! Its up to you and your son when you think its time for his own bed! Your significant other is probably jealous cause you cant do anything in bed! But when my daughter arrives and if shes sleeping with me and my boyfriend i will allow it until she feels confortable! All kids are different and everyone has different situations

1 Like

My daughter has been sleeping in her own room ever since she was a week old. I tried keeping her in my bedroom but I’m such a light sleeper and paranoid mama that I woke up every time she even took a deep breath. Once she upgraded to her big girl bed then she insists on having someone lay with her until she falls asleep. She is 6 and we are working on breaking this. The way I look at it, she’s at the age of going to sleepovers and stuff soon. Her dad and I won’t be there to help her go to sleep then. But to each their own. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I honestly think that it’s time for your son to sleep in his own bed. It probably would have been better to have done the transition before bringing an additional person into your bed. If you had a daughter do you think it would be ok for this 8 month person to sleep in the same bed as she. Everyone to their own but my opinion is that it’s time.

Neither one of my kids slept with me unless they were sick and that’s the only times they slept with me in my bed. And no it’s not disturbing… hes only 6 years old…

My son is 10 and I still let him sleep with me when he wants to . And my 2 yr old sleeps with me every night. :blush:

All cases certainly each have there own circumstances. I believe that you should be able to sleep in same bed as your child whenever you wish no matter the age. Honestly this situation should probably been discussed before you bf moved in to be honest, if it had been problem for him and especially if he thought it was disturbing or made fun of my six year old I believe I may have took a step back and looked into his character lil further. Anyone that made fun of my kid or hurt them wouldn’t be someone I’d want to be close to

He’s just a boyfriend sweetie, they will come and go but you child will be there FOREVER!! Do what you feel is right and tell everyone else to kiss it :blush: I prefer to sleep alone, but every once in a while I feel little cold toes and it’s the best!! Don’t let anyone break that bond!!

My son slept with me until he was 12. It has always just been the 2 of us

Every family is different, mine believes that children need to learn to sleep by themselves.

I ended up going back to sleeping with my mom when I was 4 & stayed sleeping in the same bed as her until I was 9/10. Nothing is wrong with it. If you and your son wants to cosleep, do so. I currently co sleep and I sleep so much better with my son than I do without him. Do what makes you happy mama :heart:

Danielle Pursey I grew up with my Aunt’s Family. I can still remember how their 4 children (ages 5yo - 18yo) sleep together in the same bed with their parents. I really find it warm, calm and loved to sleep beside our parents. (wish i had one when i was a kid) :heart:

It’s not disturbing in the least, my son sleeps with me, and he will go to his own bed when he’s ready. My daughters all slept with me too until they were ready to be in their own beds. And now that they’re older sometimes they will come to my room and cuddle me for a bit…

It’s not disturbing. But your son needs to learn that he needs to have his own space and sleep in his own bed. It’s healthy for children to have their own space, not only healthy for the child but it’s healthy for the parent to have their own space as well.

4 Likes

My little son used to crawl into bed with my husband and I nightly and he did that till he was like 11. There’s nothing wrong with what you’re doing especially if your child has separation issues

Their only young once. Cherish every moment while u can. Forget the guy. Let him sleep with u as long as he wants

My 5 year old daughter and I mutually need each other for sleeping soundly…I sleep in her bed, when I sleep in my bf bed I end up leaving through the night back to my baby’s room 🤷

There is nothing wrong with doing what both you and your son are comfortable with in this situation. Don’t let anyone make you feel like there is. My eight year old sleeps with me. It won’t be long until he wants his own space and privacy. Cherish this time while you can.

If someone who is supposed to be your partner is speaking to you in that manner in regard to your child, then they are not the right person to be filling a parent role in their life. He should never degrade your son, especially to his face, or degrade you in front of your son.

You are deserving of being treated better than that. Even if he is uncomfortable with the arrangement, there are kind ways of approaching the subject.

Move on. Find the kindness you and your son deserve. Or you may find your son speaking to you in the same manner in a few years.

My son is 8, daughter 5.5 and baby girl almost a year…we still sleep together esp since my husband, their father, was killed at work last october. We all feel safer to be close together.

1 Like

He’s YOUR son, you get to call the shots. If this guy doesn’t support you, it’s a clear sign of things to come.

6 ? They should be in own beds. I have 4 and they all sleep in their beds.

12 Likes

I’m almost 30 and still occasionally bedshare with my mom. Love that baby and cuddle him while he wants to nothing wrong about it

Cindy Flores how do you feel on this situation.