My boyfriend finds it disturbing that my 6-year-old son still co-sleeps with me: Thoughts?

He’ll never be ready for his own bed if you don’t proactively make him ready. Kids look to us to help them learn.
You’re still learning yourself. Don’t be so hard on yourself. If that man doesn’t wanna try to help and understand you, then him leaving is the best option.

2 Likes

I can’t find my comment so just to add in… he did sleep in his own bed for a while but after we split our son became clingy and upset and wanted the extra cuddles…I only have a one bed flat, low income so not going to be getting anywhere bigger any time soon.

I have a sofa bed in my front room. Hed just climb on that with me.

At the weekends I give in and cuddle him all he wants. Weeknights I tell him he has to settle himself for sleep because he’s got school in the morning. He lays there and cries. It makes me cry but I tell him that I’ll finish my jobs and I’ll be in. If I’m not he’ll come out. His dad and him have bunkbeds. His dad goes to bed when he does usually

So this is what he’s always been used to.

Last note:

I wouldn’t be having any man in bed with my child who wasn’t his dad.

Nor would I allow them to be in the same bed with me and my child.

Only a few more years you get to cherish those moments with your baby, take them, and get rid of your shitty boyfriend

I’ve not read any posts from others here. But I’d dump the so called excuse for a boyfriend.

I have 3 sons never let any of them sleep in my bed I don’t think it’s healthy for children to co sleep with adults, that’s one situation, ur bf moved in to fast and has way to much to say, did you really move a man in to share a bed with you and ur son? Very strange poor kid

5 Likes

So manny red flags here.
You should always take your time before introducing any potential partner to your child much less moving them in.
That said, why are you still letting a grown ass man stay there when he’s making fun of your child??!

Nooooo !!! It is not disturbing. Your boyfriend cannot be in your life for eight months and complain about your son. He is so not ready to be a father or to be a father figure. Please get rid of him. Someone like him will not treat your son as his own. So if you love your son, please let no one and I mean no one between you and your son…

1 Like

Eh I think he’s a bit old personally. Wouldn’t say it’s disturbing my any means. But he’s old enough to not bed share.

2 Likes

your son does not need to sleep in the same bed withyou and your boyfriend… thats wrong…

5 Likes

I slept in my moms bed until i was 19 and moved out!

1 Like

Sounds like you need to get rid of the boyfriend! I’d be livid if my man said that to me about our children co-sleeping.

4 Likes

I plan on my daughter sleeping in my bed FOREVER lol … My husband says “i guess I’m just gonna hafta go get my own room” lol … She’s only 10 months old but my baby girl will stay in bed until she decides she doesn’t want to.

1 Like

So my son still sleeps in bed with me he’s 8 I don’t mind it because it’s just me and him who sleep there but I wouldn’t let someone if I was dating anyone who was not his dad sleep in bed with us … so I do see both sides not weird if it’s him and you and even if it was his dad but someone else I wouldn’t let that happen

3 Likes

All my kids but my teenager sleeps in my bed. Kids are soon to be 7,3, and 3 months.

But I’m trying to transition the older two to their own beds. Bc honestly there isnt enough room and their crazy sleepers.

1 Like

I dont think its appropriate for him to be in the bed with you and your boyfriend.

8 Likes

My almost 9 year old daughter still sleeps with me most nights.

My kids are 7 & 2. Although I on my own have made it every other night I wish anyone would tell me I need to stop it because it bothers THEM. Allow your baby to be close to you and get rid of the guy… oneday our children will be teenagers and then adults who won’t want to be huddled in bed with us, enjoy it while the time is here.

My daughter turned 10 last September and known were she sleeps??? Right nex to her mama, whether I want her to or not… She feels safer and sleeps better

1 Like

I slept in the bed with my mom untill i was almost 12. Me and my younger sister. I have 3 year old twins they nap with me but they sleep in thier own beds! The only thing i see a problem with is the BF. Why use the word disgusting?? I just dont get it. My husband would never say that to me about my children doing anything with me.

1 Like

If he crawls into bed early hours with you, and your partner, I’d say that’s fine but if you’re all going to bed at the same time or you and your partner going to bed when your son is already asleep in it, I’d say that was a little weird as he’s not the bio dad and I wouldn’t want it to happen if I was in his shoes. The odd sneak in at the crack of dawn and falling back to sleep however, I love those mornings x

1 Like

1st things 1st I would not be OK with a man making fun of me or my child for any reason! That is childish immature behavior and I do not want that type of example for my children.
But I also think 6 is a little old to be sleeping in your bed especially if you’re trying to maintain a relationship. Especially with a man that is not the child’s father all in the same bed.

3 Likes

It’s disturbing he has the mindset to think there’s anything wrong with it… Its ure persnol choice… R kids cum b4 any man

1 Like

FTF if you have a bf then your son should sleep in his own room or own bed in the room. I still wouldn’t trust a man around my son. Especially, with that mentality of his!!!

Second, He is dumb AF saying it’s disgusting! His choice of words are a red flag for me. Co-sleeping is very Normal all over the world! If privacy is what he wants so be it but his way of going about it is unsettling. He is bullying a 6yr old who sees nothing malicious about sleeping with his momma! I WOULDN’T WANT HIM (the bf) AS A ROLEMODEL FOR MY SON, PERIOD!

1 Like

I personally never co slept. But if a man is sitting there saying that he finds this disgusting… That’s wrong. Ditch the dude.b

Co-sleeping for parents and their children is deff NOT disturbing in any way as your bf put it… But I believe he’s just saying that because he wants to sleep with JUST YOU …not you AND your son. (especially since this is not HIS son)… I personally think it’s not a bad idea to get your son in his own room soon. Goodluck w everything.

My daughter is 7 and still sleeps with me…piss on men

It’s not disturbing your son still sleeps with you. It’s disturbing that you have your son and boyfriend in the same bed. If you knew you were gonna move this guy in you should have tried to transition your son before that happened or at least after he moved in. After him living there for three months you shouldn’t be still sharing a bed with both. Co-sleeping is a beautiful thing but why would you continue to co-sleep after bringing a man into your bed? Especially one who isn’t the child’s father. 🤦
I mean if he has nightmares or gets scared every once in a while by all means let him into your bed but it shouldn’t be an every night thing if your gonna continue having your boyfriend in your bed.

13 Likes

My son is 6 and sometimes sleeps in bed with me or his dad but I would never ever EVER let another man who isn’t my child’s father sleep in the same bed as him. :woman_shrugging:t3: it disturbs me your okay with it

2 Likes

Wait, you allowed your bf to sleep in the same bed as you and your child? Is he the child’s father? If the answer is No…then you need to rethink some things. My son is four. He sleeps in the same room as me but never in my bed. And I personally would never allow the person Im dating to sleep in the same bed with my child.

3 Likes

I don’t think its disgusting or disturbing that he is sleeping with you, but if, and i’m sure he is, your bf is in the same bed, thats messed up! He’s 6 and he probably should be in his own bed.

1 Like

Boyfriend would be out of the bed and out of our lives… good riddance

4 Likes

Sounds like he’s not mature enough to grasp the bond a parent has with their child. Also sounds like you need a new boyfriend :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

People are not meant to be alone, to alot of us would rather have them in bed with us then to sleep alone. It is a beautiful thing when the child wants they will go sleep in their own bed. I know someone that has 5 children sleeping with them the youngest is 10

1 Like

Your boyfriend should not be making fun of or complaining about your son. That’s a red flag. At the same time, I wouldn’t let my child sleep in the same bed as a man I’ve known for a total of 8 months. And eventually, your son needs to sleep independently.

6 Likes

It might not be what everyone else is into but it’s not disturbing. My problem is that he finds it disturbing. Saying that, maybe he needs that time with you lovely. Maybe consider changing things. Although i don’t like that he called it disturbing, I can understand if a man wants more time in bed privately and such but to call it that is weird. That’s your child.

1 Like

Do I think a child should be in their own bed by 6, yes; do I find it disturbing that a 6 year old still sleeps with a parent, no. If it works for you and your son, so be it. My 7 year old still asks to sleep with her daddy on the weekends some times. I sleep on the couch those nights. If you both feel more secure with him in the bed with you, there’s nothing wrong with that. However, if you plan to have a SO living with you, they may not like it. Eventually, the son will need to sleep in his own bed, but there’s no rule saying it has to be now.

When me and my husband moved in together when we were dating my daughter was three. He worked nights so it didn’t matter but when he switched to days she was 5 and went to her own bed

Please don’t let your boyfriend sleep in the bed with your child!!!

7 Likes

We have three boys, ages 4 (almost 5), 3, and 17 months all who sleep in bed with SO and I. Prior to having children of my own I told SO “our kids will never sleep in our bed, I can’t stand that” and yet here we are by choice. The decision is up to you and your son only :blush:

I see all these moms saying its wrong for her and her man to sleep in the same bed as the child why? She sure as hell didn’t say he stays in the bed whenever they have sex and if she’s in the middle and her little boy is by her side and her man is on the other side there is nothing wrong with it that is your baby if he’s having a hard time sleeping without you let that little boy sleep with you they are only little for a little while. You are doing nothing at all wrong momma don’t even stress it tell that asshole of he has a problem with it he can move back out

I mean for him it is probably weird because he’s also sleeping in the bed and probably isn’t at the stage yet where he’s “step daddy” so i get why he thinks it’s awkward. I only co-slept for a month or two and that was when my son was 6 months old. I think 6 is a little too old for that, as 6 year olds usually know what boobs are and what not. If you wouldn’t take a bath with him then I wouldn’t be co sleeping. It’s not “disturbing” though. He probably just feels awkward. But he’s at an age where he needs to start learning independence and co sleeping wouldn’t help that.

2 Likes

I hope your son didn’t hear the teasing. If he did, I think you need to tend to him emotionally. Make sure he knows it’s ok to be him. I think when he is ready, he’ll go to his own room. It shouldn’t be until he is ready.

That’s not weird. My daughter is 7 and she still sleeps in our bed a few nights a week

Sounds like he needs to grow the fuck up… they’re only this little once.

2 Likes

U need to kick his ass out

This BF is an ass who doesn’t get what a relationship is and he’s gotta go. He should Not be sleeping with you all at the same time.Your son comes first. So unless new bf shits gold bricks and makes every other aspect of the world magical I don’t know why he’s moved in and feels he can make fun of your relationship ,your family and demand anything. I think it’s it’s disgusting you have to question your relationship about your own child. I think he needs to move out and if you absolutely must have this in your life tell him you are the parent and you are working on your son in his own bed and you will do this at a pace appropriate for your son.He joined your family. He doesn’t make the rules. This to me would not be a good start for a long term relationship. Good luck. You and kids come first. BF needs to grow up.

There is nothing wrong with it… enjoy every moment of it

Its hard for me to give an opinion on this without further information…you said that he moved in with you a couple months ago…where does he sleep? Is he expected to sleep in the bed with you son too or do u make the person you choose to move in and help with bills sleep on the couch?

1 Like

I’d kick the boyfriend out that’s disrespectful of him to be disrespecting you and your son I slept with my parents till I was 10 I was a mamas girl buys it really on you with what you want to do and how you raise your son :slightly_smiling_face:

I am 28 years old and still go to moms house and nap in her bed sometimes… he’s disturbing for thinking anything more than a child loving their mother.

1 Like

Umm No they are little once and one day they won’t sleep or be that close enjoy why you can I did and she is a great person 19 now so enjoy it

He sounds like a douche bag. I slept with my mom til i was 7 because i was really sick as a baby and just felt comfortable with her instead of in my own bed. Hell, even now at 23 when i go home sometimes me my daughter and my mom will all nap together. I co sleep with my daughter now shes 2 my husband loves it cause we all snuggle and shes so sweet. If he cant accept it and is rude about it he doesnt deserve either of you.

Boyfriend needs to go if he can’t put your sons needs first , he’s thinking of himself …

1 Like

I slept with my mom until i was like 8. I had my own bed but it felt safer and more peaceful sleep sleeping with her. We went through a difficult period in life so maybe thats why and the same goes for you and your son. Its when you guys are ready. My daughter whos almost 4 sleeps with me still even though she has her own bed. If i have my boyfriend or something come over then when she falls i move her into her room. Or ill sleep in the middle to make sure shes safe. Your child and you go over everything else. If you and your son arent ready then thats your dudes problem. You could also try slowly progressing your son to sleep on his own if you want. Your the mom. Do what your gut tells you.

My daughter sleep with me till she was 7 almost 8 he would have to go tease my child or talk terrible at all he would have a broke jaw an then he can sleep by his self no way honey ypur children come first before any bf

I see zero issue with Co sleeping with your kid. But I see a huge issue with the new live in boyfriend and the son and you in bed together. He likely sees it as a huge issue too, hence why he’s bringing it up. He’s clearly not comfortable and it sounds like this was something that should have been discussed/dealt with before he moved in.

6 Likes

No, it is not appropriate for him to be sleeping in a bed with you and your boyfriend :roll_eyes: Unfortunately your six-year-old will have to make a huge adjustment and learn to sleep on his own, which is not going to be easy for him. And your boyfriend should not shame him, it’s not the kids fault.

3 Likes

Good riddance to him ! My boyfriend gracefully takes the couch if my youngest son needs to sleep with me because hes scared or can’t sleep, or I go sleep in his bed wth him. When my son goes to his dads, his wife does the same thing! Kids always come first. Boyfriends don’t always last but your relationship with your child will. This man sounds jealous and juvenile. If he respected your relationship with your child he’d have waited to move in with a single mother and worked on building up your sons confidence to sleep on his own some nights.

My boy has never slept in the same bed as me, straight refused since birth :sweat_smile: would have made him being sick alot easier, yeah at some point he will need to be able to sleep on his own, as long as he doesnt start getting teased from kids at school, as that is what happened to a friend of mine, she had no idea other kids slept in their own bed and not with mum and dad, but your child, your rules, as long as hes happy and sleeps well, no major harm coming to him, as for the bf, he shouldnt be moving in after such a short time in my opinion, and has no right telling you what to do, yeah he can bring it up and say how he feels on the matter, but not judge you like that, hes the disgusting one for talking to you like that tbh.

Get rid of the boyfriend. He moved into YOUR home. Remind him of that.

5 Likes

No man should be sleeping in the same bed as your child unless it’s their father. That part is disturbing. Your son cosleeping with you if your choice, but if that’s what you choose that means the bed is also his. You can not invite a man into your sons bed.

19 Likes

My youngest slept with me forever. Till he was like 11. I had a hard time getting him to sleep by himself. An I don’t care what others are going to say about it either.

5 Likes

My 12 year old girl has her own room and most times still sleeps in my bed u are not doing anything wrong if no one likes it that’s there problem.

1 Like

I’d say buh bye to the guy.

2 Likes

I only find it weird if your boyfriend is sleeping in the bed with you and your son.

7 Likes

While it’s up to you how long you bedshare with your son, I think this should have been discussed before he moved in and a plan should have been made. It’s immature for him to tease or belittle you, but he’s allowed to have feelings and express those feelings in a mature and intelligent way.

You need to sit down with him, tell him that you understand that he may not agree with your arrangement but you expect only mature discussion about the topic and find a way to come to a compromise on the issue. If you can’t, then maybe you guys aren’t compatible. Next time, make sure the guy you’re serious about is comfortable with attached parenting. It doesn’t sound like he’s anywhere near the ballpark, which again falls on you for not screening those guy a little more closely before you moved him in.

3 Likes

Keep your son in your bed.
Lose the “man”.
It’s disturbing that he’s so fixated on your co-sleeping. He hasn’t been in your life long enough to even have an opinion about your relationship with your son.
He’s jealous of what y’all have.
He makes fun of your son??
Get rid of him.
Red flags everywhere.

3 Likes

It’s not disturbing for you to co sleep with your son. myself & partner still co sleep with our 6 year old. I think the problem here is that a man who isn’t your sons father & who has only been in you & your sons life a short time is also in the bed with you both & that is probably making him uncomfortable as it isn’t his biological son

4 Likes

Its your child its your life.

The only thing I see wrong with the situation is allowing a man who you’ve only been in a relationship with for a couple months sleep in the same bed as your son. As for your son … Not wrong at all. Your his momma. You have a bond. Nothing more to it. Kick the guy out and continue living the best life for you and your son . Might wanna kick the habit before he gets too old though. Don’t want people at school teasing him for sleeping with his mom.

4 Likes

If he came to you as an adult and just expressed his position, it would be different. Saying it’s disgusting or disturbing is him overstepping his boundaries. He’s a bf, not a husband. I would get rid of anyone telling me that my bond with my kid disgusts them.

4 Likes

While I think your son in your bed is fine, If your boyfriend moves in and sleeps in your bed I do not think that’s ok. It’s just a strange situation and it’s not his child, and I get the intimacy issue with a child in the bed, so may now that he is 6 start transitioning him into his own bed?

2 Likes

I put my kids in there own beds about 3 an half they slept with me since birth my boy is 2 an he in his own bed does cum in to mine at some point of the night they grown so quick so I love it

Your boyfriend’s a douche

5 Likes

He needs his own bed. Your starting a new phase. Unfortunately your son is also showing dominance to your new bf. Hes old enough to sleep in his own space. It will help strengthen your bond if he doesnt get mommy issues he brings to his future relationships. I struggle with my husband at time he slept in his moms bed until he was nine.

5 Likes

What a dick. Don’t be with someone who belittles you and ur son to meet his ends. That’s what is disgusting. It’s not strange at all to sleep with ur son. Most people have slept in the same beds for protection all across time. Literally i think ur boyfriend is the disturbing one.
My brother slept in the bed with my parents until the 3rd grade. They only kicked him out bc the room was too small to fit a bigger bed.

1 Like

Your boyfriend of 8 mths may not be entirely wrong. BUT!
There’s a better way of communicating this to you than by saying “it’s disgusting” and “disturbing” and 100% not right for him to make fun of you and especially a child!
That, in itself, would be a huge red flag :triangular_flag_on_post: for me.
That being said, I think it’s probably time your son started to sleep in his own bed. Sorry, I know when your baby (and childbirth) is traumatic like yours one just feels the need to be as close to the child as possible. However, he’s getting older now and should be learning to be more independent.
But hey! All is not lost!! You can make a big deal out of him being a big boy now…a little celebration for his 1st night in his big boy room. And you can always have snuggle time with him before bed. Story time etc. at night. I hope the transition goes smoothly for you and your son.
And don’t allow anyone to ridicule you or your son. Stop that before it becomes an okay thing to do!!

3 Likes

My sons 7 and sleeps with my every night from when he wakes and creeps in about midnight.

1 Like

I’m all for cosleeping but when my babies reached 2-3 they needed to get in their own bed. I think everyone sleeps better that way. It’s probably really awkward for your boyfriend.

1 Like

My son slept with me until he turned 10. At that time he agreed he was ready to move into his own room. Doesn’t seem to have hurt him any.

2 Likes

Ok soooo he doesnt need to be a dickhead about it but i do agree to an extent hes more than old enough to be in his own bed i personally refuse to co sleep bc i like my space and to spread out… and as adults who enjoy sex its not healthy to have a child in your bed… how are you supposed tonhave a normal happy relationship of theres 0 intimacy bc theres a kid in bed with u

3 Likes

My 2 boys sleep in with me 6 and 8… If i had a new fella theres not a chance in hell id let him share the bed with my boys in it. I think thats the problem fella probably doesn’t feel comfortable sharing the bed with both of u

2 Likes

Bye sir you can go sleep in your own bed… cuddle that baby until you can’t no more! Don’t let that man break you and your sons bond

2 Likes

Our kids would sometimes climb into our bed with us. But by the time they were 4, the only time we allowed it after that was when they were sick. That ended when they were 5. We wanted are bed back full time. If they came in after that we deal with whatever the problem was and get them back to their own beds. And they always had their own bed/ crib from day one.
I get where the boyfriend Is coming from. I’m not saying how he said it was ok, but I think he’s just wanting his own space with you.

My 10 yr old sleeps in my bed but I’m single and he can sleep wherever he wants

1 Like

I would say bye jerk! Kids come first!!

2 Likes

Why do women move the boyfriend in? Not setting good example for children. My opinion!

2 Likes

4 kids ages 10, 8, 4.5, 1 yr - all have slept in bed w me at some point. Youngest still does.
It is fine for a child and parent to share same bed but if you significant other (not childs parent) is in the same bed there is an issue. I see nothing wrong with you sleeping w child, I also understand why bf left.

Lol boyfriend can sleep in a different bed in a different house if he has such a problem with it

3 Likes

My son is five years old he tends to sleep in his own room but some nights he will want to sleep in my bed with me and his dad. There is nothing wrong if that is makes you guys comfortable and happy, he will move to his own bed when he is ready.

1 Like

I see nothing wrong with your decision BUT I will say if your bf is sleeping with you maybe its not the best idea for all 3 to be in one bed…not saying anything will ever happen but one can never be to sure… transition your little into maybe a cot beside your bed or something of the sort. On another hand as far as the boyfriend is concerned kick that crap to the curb whats disgusting and disturbing is his train of thought about it… how dare he come into your life and try to change things that has always worked for you and your little…

1 Like

Disgusting? I’d throw away the whole man :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

Have your boyfriend build a special bed the way your son dreams a bed for him should be! Like a boat or airplane or Jeep bed, or tent! This makes them work together and hopefully will help them bond, and will make your son WANT to sleep in his own bed. I agree with others on here that your boyfriend shouldn’t be sleeping with you while your son is there! Kids pretend sleep then mimick what they hear when they visit others! I’ve heard a child (6 years old) mimick his mother’s orgasmic scream!! Then mimicked his moms boyfriend putting his face between her legs!). Your son shouldn’t hear or see what you’re doing with a boyfriend.

1 Like

My five year old still sleeps with me. He’s being a jerk.

We co slept till about 2 and a half 3 but he always had his own bed available to him if he chose to use it. He started out just laying in it to calm down for bed time or playing with his tablet. Then more and more till he started sleeping in it full time but he did it on his own

I don’t think it’s disgusting or disturbing at all but I would start to consider moving him into his own bed for the sole fact of giving him a little bit of independence. I was cosleeping with my 2 year old and 9 month old up until last month when I switched them to their own beds. I think it’s good for them to have their own beds and own space to sleep in. As for the boyfriend, I would ditch him because he sounds emotionally abusive and moved in waay too soon.

1 Like

I transitioned my kids to their own beds at 2 years old. My 2.5 year old still comes into our bed in the middle of the night when he wakes up. My hubs is use to it tho as we have 2 kids.

I still nurse my almost 3 year old and yes we cosleep!

1 Like

I mean how can You have sex with a kid in the bed? Not being nasty just how ? I have 3 kids and never co-slept with them it scared the hell out of me. But that part is each parents choice.

1 Like

No. Your bf needs to go get his own damn house with his own damn bed​:100::100::100: