My boyfriend thinks I should pay half of the rent because I have a daughter: Thoughts?

If hes gonna be with you he needs to treat your child like his own. Therefore include everything as a family. No room for selfishness!

3 Likes

Drop him. He does not see her as a step child or his child for that matter. If he cared he wouldn’t include her in some damn bills.

Unless your daughter has her own room, I say it should be split evenly btw the two of you.

2 Likes

If he cant man up and pay at least half of the bills then he needs to go. You dont need a free loader. Having a child means he should be stepping up more and helping if he plans in being a step parent.

3 Likes

Idk but your not single mom if your in a relationship n the first statement says your bf thinks you should pay half on the rent then the bottom half says are you wrong to think he should be paying half… so I’m confused

3 Likes

But bills should be split in the middle

1 Like

If ur man is broke just say that. Either way the attitude is crappy and I would leave. If you can do it on your own

Sounds like you need to get out of that relationship… You have a roommate, not a partner of boyfriend. He has no intention of accepting or raising your daughter. Massive red flag.

5 Likes

You’re child is a dependant of you … not a contributor to the household.

7 Likes

Been there, done that. Find a new bf.

6 Likes

Ew. Not a real man. Dump his ass.

1 Like

All I can say, is my boyfriend, now my husband never had me do that, and I made more than he did. .

6 Likes

I am in a similar situation as you. My son is 8 and my fiancé and I have been together for three years - engaged for one. BEFORE moving in together we had a very honest conversation about how our financial responsibilities would be. I brought up the fact that we should split everything 70/30. Since my son would be getting his own room. My fiancé and I made about the same at that time, he disagreed with me and said 50/50 would be good enough. Since my son wasn’t a burden to him and if he ever made more than me that he would pay more and vise versa. He started making more and he took on the utilities I only pay for half the rent and we take turns buying groceries.

Your child is an EXTENSION of you. She is her own person but she is no where near an age where you should worry about paying bills or rent.

The issue sounds a lot more rooted than just splitting the living costs.

It’s time for you to reconsider what life you want to build for your daughter and yourself.

If you work and you can afford it I would say take on a little bit more, being mindful that your daughters father should be providing for her. As he should being her father.

If you don’t work and expect your boyfriend to pay for all of your living expenses then that is going to eat away at him and your relationship will crumble because he is not the father of your child and he will grow resentment towards you.

Ask yourself, if it was his child would he act the same? If the answer is no, then you have not invested your time into a relationship that will be beneficial for you. He should see your daughter as his daughter. Most relationships now a days are on a 50/50 financial split so everyone contributes equally and everyone can have the same opportunities to save and splurge on yourself as you see fit.

9 Likes

Get rid of his sorry ass!:poop:

If your in a relationship and it’s supposed to go somewhere then it stops being yours and mine and turns into ours. Me and my hubby share our money. It’s our home and we both live here so we both pay whatever bill needs to be paid at the time. Sometimes I have worked and paid the bills while he didn’t and sometimes he has. Other times we both did, but no matter what it was still our money and our bills. That’s how it should be. If he has a problem pitching in and sharing money then he needs to go.

4 Likes

Yeah, get rid of that guy. He is showing his true colors. You don’t need that kind of man in your life. You deserve so much better.

2 Likes

Get rid of the boyfriend

3 Likes

Get out now while you can.

2 Likes

Sounds like a LOSER. Is he a man or a mouse?

5 Likes

RUN!!! The fact that he even thinks that way is only a glimpse into your future struggles. When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them the first time!!!

12 Likes

Pay half if you weren’t with him your be paying full so if anything happens your not in total shock about paying.
The fact he said 3 make sure he appreciates your child because regardless of kids you both grown adults. Both have responsibility so put in equal effort.
And sorry but you ain’t a single mother, your now officially in a relationship so nothing single about that. If you feel your single in anyways leave and do you and your child.

3 Likes

That’s like he’s charging the 5 year old, what next he starts telling her to buy her own groceries :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Red flag! Run! Away… far far away

9 Likes

PIECE OF SHIT!!! RUN! This is God giving you hints girl! GET U AND YOUR BABY OUT!

Ummmm say goodbye lol that super shitty of him.

Nope. That shit has toxic written all over it. I’m out

He should be paying half…my partner is step dad to my 2 kids and he’s never let me pay for everything!!

My ex was like your man now except the kids were his…get a new man your ones broken…

6 Likes

Things like this lead into financial abuse down the track I’d be having a good talk with him and saying split everything 50/50 or bye Felicia :wave:

3 Likes

His axx wouldnt be living there if he can’t help that’s ridiculous

1 Like

Uh-uuuhh. That’s petty. He’s just trying to find any way out of responsibility. Smh. He’s not grown.

2 Likes

Get rid of him! Any man will take care of whatever he has to for his family! A boy will need some help with any excuse he can use to blame someone else for him essentially needing a roommate. He ain’t the one!

3 Likes

Leave him honey. Let him pay his own way and grow up. He doesn’t appreciate you. You already have one child, you don’t need an overgrown one too.

1 Like

Does he get :smirk_cat::bangbang:DO YOU COOK CLEAN ECT . NO YOU SHOULD NOT PAY RENT. TELL HIM BYE BYE. MANY MEN OUT THERE THAT WOULD LOVE FOR YOU TO STAY HOME IF THATS WHAT YOU WANT. ALSO HE KNEW YOU WHERE A PACKAGE DEAL. HE IS GREEDY . GET THE HELL OUT WHILE YOU CAN. UNDER NO circumstance Marry him… TAKE THIS AS A RED FLAG. GIRL .

3 Likes

You are in a toxic relationship get out now

1 Like

I think that depends on what kind of relationship you want. Myself, personally, I believe in a man and womans traditional roles. Pa brings home the bacon, Ma cooks it. But, there are some couples who that doesn’t work for. I knew a couple years ago who switched those roles and when I asked her why she said they just came to realize that her husband made a better housewife than she did. So that’s what worked for them. But whatever you decide it has to work for both of you. If it doesn’t someone has either got compromise or find someone else to be in a relationship with who feels the same way as they do.

2 Likes

Bf takes the gf and kid as a package deal no if or buts

8 Likes

Dump his ass…bye bye…next! You deserve better. Your a package deal hon…

Are you able to sustain your self with out this scumbag?
Cause when I met my husband I was a single mom and he never asked for a dime. And adopted my daughter. Sounds to me like you have a friend with benefits.

4 Likes

My boyfriend of 8 years sees my 3 boys as his boys. We actually split up for a while and he continued to pay the rent and let me drive his vehicle even when he didn’t live with us because he said he provided them the life they had and he didn’t want to take that away from them. We have been back together for quite a while and he pays the rent and our cell phone bill (mine, his and 2 of the 3 boys), my car payment (even though I can, he won’t take the money) car insurance (same as the car payment) and mostly everything else we need. I work and just out most my money in savings. I pay a few bills but only because I set up online accounts and won’t give him passwords so that I can contribute some. My money goes towards stuff we do as a family and sometimes he pays for that too. If this man doesn’t love your child like his own, it’s time to rethink him. My boyfriend and I have a full understanding that no matter what happens with us, he will always be in my kids lives and if we split and start new relationships, our new partners have to understand that and there will be no negotiating it. My boys became his the day we decided to be a couple.

5 Likes

After 2.5yrs if he doesn’t love your child like his own, he never will.

7 Likes

Or he doesn’t have the balls to tell you he wants out of the relationship so why not charge rent knowing your circumstance.

What a cheapskate dirt-bag!

3 Likes

Hes acting like a child, not a loving supportive adult. I don’t think he’s good for your daughter.

2 Likes

Omg no way​:woman_facepalming: i am in the same situation and my boyfriend wont let me pay rent at all. Not that paying would be an issue but 3 ways? That discussion would be over real quick…”men” :woman_facepalming:

1 Like

He should be paying half. If he can’t then you can easily find a replacement

1 Like

He is a little off…thats like going to dinner an splitting the bill 3 way…like goin to 31 flavors ice cream an there out off ice cream…girl tell him bye…just think if he acks like that to her just thini about later in life…its not going to be. Fair to ur daughter…

1 Like

I wouldn’t let a man in my life who couldn’t love my child and not be so petty… we are the adults responsible for bills lol not kids. I’d get me a real man

2 Likes

Kick him to touch you’re a package deal ,no questions

1 Like

I dont usually say this BUT anyone who cant accept you and your daughter as one. WOW nope. Put ur foot down otherwise itll get worse. Tell him NO now or else this will escalate.

2 Likes

Make him buy his own food…gas… do his own laundry… cook his own meals… clean up after himself and get himself off whaaaat good is he to u but a child to take care of?

5 Likes

Oh whoa. I would be running so fast.

If he can’t pay the rent, he shouldn’t be in a relationship.

1 Like

Kirsty Bensley 50/50 always . What’s yours is mine :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Yup time to leave… After 2.5 years I would have thought he would be looking at the 3 of you as a family unit and not you & your daughter then him. If proportionate splitting of bills is still high in his priorities then you and your daughter are not his priorities in life

13 Likes

So when youre a single mom you pay your own way. Rent, utilities, food, insurance& supplies then you get a man and have no bills? Oh your vaginas an atm? Thanks for the opression.Thats optional and out dated back when we had no rights and couldnt work and rarely had kids prior to marriage.

2 Likes

Sounds like a bum. He definitely doesn’t see your child as his own or want to care for them in any way so I say end it now.

5 Likes

does he want you to pay all of it? if so tell the free loader to find his own place. if he wants you to pay more than him because you have a daughter in the house then i guess it’s fair. BUT a 5yo doesn’t take up much room or expenses so it shouldn’t be on you to pay too much more. like maybe 40-60

2 Likes

Kick him to the curb

1 Like

He’s clearly not a team player. Tell him to pay all of the rent in his own house

4 Likes

If its his house technically its all his bill to pay anyways. And if it is his house and he’s expecting you to pay more than half this just makes me feel like he’s taking in lodgers to cover his own bills.

Nothing wrong with that my partner and I split my rent in half and I have a 2.5 year old honestly my opinion he’s living with you so he should be my partner and I have only been together for 4months but in the end that’s an extra mouth your feeding xx

Both should pay half of everything that’s how a relationship works

1 Like

If you live together 50/50

2 Likes

A real man would pay it all.

10 Likes

How can you like even question this situation at all. If he’s not ready to split basic bills with you dump him. He obviously doesn’t care about your little one.

5 Likes

You should always pay half, am confused? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

If he’s that petty, he’s an AH

7 Likes

He should be paying half yes, he is using your power water ect sleeping in the same house… eating your food…so needs to pay his own way its only fair… leave the disrespectful dumass i say

2 Likes

A five year old would use just as much utilities as an adult, but the fact that he sees it that way is concerning. Are you trying to go long term with this fella?

1 Like

My EX said same thing… notice he is now the EX…

7 Likes

He should be paying entire rent just my opinion

1 Like

That’s not a man. Never take a man before your child.kick him out you can find a roommate to pay half of everything.

6 Likes

Yes, he should contribute. Is he wanting you to pay all of it or is he talking about paying a third of it and you paying over half to make up for your daughter? If that is his way of viewing things after 2.5 years I wouldn’t continue any further.

5 Likes

Get rid of the boyfriend

10 Likes

Really now!!! Just remember…if he is that petty…what will happen if you have a child with him? How will hy treat his own blood…and then there is the daughter that only belongs to YOU.

He will definitely expect his child to have more then YOUR daughter…

Think NOW about your daughter…

16 Likes

Yes he should be paying half !! Tell him to grow the hell up or find his own place !!

2 Likes

He should go bye bye

I mean… he should pay more than half… but that’s a whole other topic :joy:

11 Likes

I could maybe understand if he said groceries, water, or electricity bills. She does cause greater use of those. But the rent? The rent doesn’t change because of the 5 year old. Nope sorry. 50/50

Can you afford it? If so, what’s the problem? Why broke up, start over with your daughter, and live alone with her, which is way more expensive.
If not, why not communicate? Show him why you cannot afford it.

Get rid of him, Do it now!, move

2 Likes

I assume hes living with you, i think you should just buy things for you and your kiddo and let him buy for him self, and if he gets mad then say you have already had a discussion with him on hent and such… you are his partner and not his mother, you do not need to raise 2 children, and be paying for everything without him contributing

3 Likes

That child should not have to pay rent she didn’t asked to be born and she don’t have a job to pay nothing ! You really should think about this boy he resents your baby , kick him to the curb

3 Likes

If yous are living together it should be split 50/50. Bill splitting is one of the many reasons people decide to live together. If he cant see this let him struggle alone

2 Likes

Just because you have a child doesn’t mean you shouldn’t have to split bills/rent. He’s the man and should want to take care of more for you two. You have your daughter to take care of and if he is with you and living with you, he should want the same and treat you all as one. I was also a single mother of one before and things like this were discussed prior to moving in with anyone and would never have moved in with them if the intentions weren’t for us to be a family. That doesn’t sound like a “family” to me

The fact he even questions it…pathetic in my eyes!!! He should see you all as a family unit. Get rid of him…!!! :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

How can a 5 year old contribute to the rent? The kid was also 2.5 when you got together so he definitely knew you already had a child.
Get👏 Rid👏 ASAP👏

1 Like

You and your child are a package deal. I assume you do most of the household chores and he’s not paying you for that.

2 Likes

Sooo… even after hearing all of this, are you going to take this advice? Or just continue on? I always wonder when people ask these questions, if they just do it to vent, or really take the advice

5 Likes

Get rid of him, he doesn’t want to be a man & he has no shame.

2 Likes

Leave his ass do you.

Omg run as fast as you can

1 Like

Hold up… Are you his flatmate or his partner? If you are in a committed relationship to the point you are living together and raising your daughter together then your incomes and one and the same.
If he isn’t okay taking on expenses for your daughter he’s not okay taking on your daughter and that to me would be raising massive red flags.

11 Likes

He’s not the right one :woman_shrugging:t4:

5 Likes

Why shouldn’t you pay half the rent you live there too

1 Like

Sounds like you need yourself a new man girl. Petty af

3 Likes

Get the 5 year old a job and make her pay 1/3

6 Likes

Why shouldn’t you pay half if you live there too… I thought that’s just how life worked :thinking:

1 Like

He sounds immature and does not have a generous spirit towards you and your child.Why live together so soon with a man.I understand that you are young and you want companionship and love.It may be the reason to split the rent and other costs…but is it really worth it?Go it alone for a while and protect your daughter.Surely your daughters father can also compensate to pay for her schooling and other neccessary needs.Do not let yourself be mesmerised into a lower position by a man.If he does not comply and contribute then give him a free pass to the door.Your daughter is your responsibility.She is your companion.Choose your partners carefully and weigh up the consequences.All the best in your choice!:heart:

11 Likes

Uh. You need to be mad that you made that man your boyfriend. Girl you can do bad all by yourself you don’t need nobodies help. What kind of man does that shit. She is a child. SMH.