My child is mixed and confused about his race: Advice?

Their is no such race that is white. We are all people of color some lighter in color some darker. Europeans that came to this country made up the name white person. Just look at the color of your skin if you were born in America you are An American.Nationality

1 Like

My daughter (4 yo) is biracial (Haitian and Caucasian) and her sister who is ten months older is Caucasian so she is often confused about her race. Iā€™m still trying to figure it out.

The child is too young.He will definitely figure it out as he grows.My son used to refuse to be categorised as Black,he would say he is chocolate,but now he is getting to understand.

I told my son he was my oreo cookie special

Do u blame him??Everyone probably talks racism around him!And heā€™s afraid.Parents watch what you say around your little ones!!!your not born racist your thought !!

3 Likes

My granddaughter got self conscious when we went shopping the other day. My sonā€™s white and my daughter in law is black. My granddaughter said people were looking at us. I told her to let them look and they had never seen such pretty girls before. People can really suck.

2 Likes

I am biracial black and white and it was very confusing growing up. My daughter and my son are mixed too obviously, but a little bit lighter colored than me.

The best you can do is reassure him that being mixed is okay. These days everybody is screaming YOUā€™RE WHITE or YOUā€™RE BLACK and the toughest thing to deal with as a multi racial person is the fact that weā€™re erased in todayā€™s societal and political climates.

They will frequently be asked ā€œwhat are you?ā€ growing up and honestly that question hurts a little but Iā€™ve learned to laugh it off and Iā€™m teaching my daugter that as well, and that being mixed is as beautiful as being solidly any one race. Good luck mama.

3 Likes

If heā€™s saying he doesnā€™t want to be black it doesnā€™t sound like heā€™s confused. I would find out why he feels that way.

2 Likes

This is exactly how I was when I was younger. My mom is white & my dad is full Jamaican. It was hard to understand being so young & just like ur son, I wanted to be white as well. No matter what anyone told me I didnā€™t wanna b the colour I was, but my family kept telling me that it was ok and I was beautiful anyways. maybe try to talk to him about why heā€™s feeling that way, maybe another child said something to him to make him feel the way that way heā€™s feeling. Trust me itā€™ll get harder as he gets older but eventually heā€™ll learn to accept the colour he is!

Allow him to be both ā€¦ my sons race is white but this ethnicity is Hispanic

My children are biracial. My step son doesnā€™t seem to care but my son screams all the time that he doesnā€™t want to be brown like daddy cuz hes a white boy! My husband is hispanic and white and we discussed him calling his mom to get recipes and stuff like that to do with the kids and treat them to embrace their heritage and love themselves the way they are. Weā€™ve also discussed celebrating things like Cinco de Mayo and the Day of the Dead so they understand the Mexican side isnā€™t any different. They just look a little different.

I would say heā€™s only 4 he to young to understand give it time an donā€™t push the issue. Let time take it !!! Just let him know heā€™s loved no matter what!!!

My daughter is biracialā€¦she has never been confused tho. Iā€™ve often wondered why kids get confused - their skin is brown so theyā€™re brown šŸ¤· i guess Iā€™m thankful it has never been an issue for her. I feel bad for those who feel confused

1 Like

There is a childrenā€™s book called " The Many Shades Of Me" check it out

1 Like

Be sure that he knows you will always love him, and that you love the way he looks. Let him know that if someone says something derogatory to him, the person saying it has the problem, not him.

1 Like

Maybe show him celebrities people he know of people he may watch on YouTube that are mixed race show him itā€™s cool to be mixed race

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. My child is mixed and confused about his race: Advice? - Mamas Uncut

Mine r mix and half the year there white the other half hispanic because there skin color changes. He will adjust. Tell him you love him what ever color he wants to be. He is himself. If he is half white then he can say he is white next he be saying he black give him time.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s no such thing as mixed. We are all of one race .( Human) you talk like your husband is coffee cream. Half and Half. I wish someone would call my grandson half and half. Heā€™ all human.Geeeeeez.

5 Likes

Itā€™s so sad that these babies are confused just tell him heā€™s perfect and let him decide his color . he will grow up and understand it but right now this is what he wants. Let him be whatever he wants the more you tell him otherwise the more confusing it gets at his age.

9 Likes

There shouldnā€™t be a colour issue in the first place. He is who he is and his mum and dadā€™s son.

3 Likes

My granddaughter is mixed black and white. When her brother was born, she asked me why she was dark and he was light? They had the same parents but she was a little bit darker than he. I told her that she was so lucky to have a built in gorgeous tan. She excepted that. Why, because it was the truth

He only 4. I wouldnā€™t push the race right now. I understand itā€™s important. Maybe ask him why he only wants to be white. Try to understand why he feels thatā€™s way. Good luck. Iā€™d also tell him that every body is made the same no matter what race or color of skin.

6 Likes

Seems to me that if people can be whatever sex they want, he can be whatever race he wants. Since heā€™s so young just say ok and let it slide.

2 Likes

my child is mixed and is about to be 6 and has never said anything about our different skin tones, we never say black or white around him so he is innocent to the whole race thing, but whenever he ask about anything else we just say thats the way God created them.

6 Likes

How can ppl say your mixed ā€¦ mixed isnā€™t a race my kids race is handsome and beautiful and thatā€™s EXACTLY what they will tell you when ppl ask what theyā€™re mixed with my daughter being beautiful my sons being handsomeā€¦ now yes I teach my children about there culture but not race love has no color and we should all love each other and accept everyone :bangbang:

1 Like

My child did this. Said she wanted to be white like the door :rofl:. Hated summer because her skin would get darker. She grew out of that phase. I never pushed any race on her. Just explained what her parents are.

I would keep asking him questions about why he wants to be white to get to the root cause of who/how he formed this opinion. Heā€™s been indocrinated.

Tate Diggs writes a lot of books called Chocolate me, and Mixed me. Another good book is the Color of us

1 Like

This is from a 4 year old? NO itā€™s the adults confusing him
Why not leave color out of it and tell him heā€™s perfect

ive had this talk with my daughterā€¦i tell her brown is beautiful! shes okay with it now!

Tell him heā€™s the human race

2 Likes

I would explain that he is black and the other race (Mexican, white, Filipino, etc.-You didnā€™t mention the other race of the father) because his dad is both races and tell him heā€™s just like his dad. Thatā€™s all he needs to know, he will figure things out. If he wants to claim heā€™s white for now, no harm done.

1 Like

Hes 4 Iā€™d say itā€™s not a kid issue

5 Likes

Maybe sit with him and ask him why he is feeling that way? Youā€™ll be surprised what a 4 year old opens up about and go from there. It might be worth showing him some inspirational people from all walks of life to show him that race doesnā€™t define what your capable of or define you as a person :heart:

4 Likes

He is still young. He could grow out of this and accept that he is both. It may or may not happen but 50/50 chance. And itā€™s ok if he chooses one or the other. And loveā€¦is all that matters. Let him know he is gonna be loved just the same either way.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. My child is mixed and confused about his race: Advice? - Mamas Uncut

Its easier for kids to see it very literally. I would just make sure he knows his family background, but trying to tell him to see something he doesnā€™t visually see right now is hard and probably confusing. Give him a little more time.

12 Likes

Heā€™s only 4 mama! Heā€™ll understand when heā€™s old enough. My son was adopted at birth (both of my kids were adopted) but we have an open adoption with his birth family, he understands age appropriate things.
He says things that make me cringe at times but I know heā€™ll get it one day.
My daughters story is not colorful at all and I know that will be difficult when the time comes but, we all have something unique about ourselves and teaching him to love that heā€™s biracial is whatā€™s important right now (IMO). Keep being there and he will start asking more and more questions as he gets older. Youā€™re doing great :heart:

3 Likes

My boys are half white/Jewish from my husband and half Mexican. We live in a predominantly white neighborhood etc. I try and give them a since of pride of their Mexican heritage. We talk about it and we talk about racism. (even though they just look white) I think its important to keep an open dialog about all of their cultures and give them people they can look up too.

5 Likes

Unfortunately he may need time. Time to see who he really is. Iā€™m sure he will be alittle more drawl to onside or another. I know itā€™s sad that he has to go through this. But he is special and has the best of both worlds and just make sure thatā€™s the message you send. Truthfully you know what to do but as any good mom would we doubt ourselves which is why u asked the question. You asked so you got it right. Kudos mom

Maybe if he saw other people like him, it would help him understand, either from his surrounding or athletes that are bi-racial. Maybe he would make the connection that way and be proud of both heritage. I know itā€™s not the same, but growing up I was a plus size girl and growing up it the 2000ā€™s was difficultĆ© because all my idols were very thin. When I was 20 I saw an interview with this plus size lady who embraced being plus size and it completely changed my perspective of myself. Hope that works :heart: itā€™s amazing to be from a bi-racial or bi-cultural household.b

3 Likes

My son is 5 and is lighter skin with blue eyes. Iā€™m half and half and his father is white. He got mad because he wasnā€™t brown like me but I also tell him he is, he just has lighter skin. I think itā€™s just the age and wouldnā€™t worry about it.

1 Like

Iā€™m sure he really probably doesnā€™t understand. I wouldnā€™t be too concerned and let him be a kid.

2 Likes

Explain how special it is that he can have both cultures and how only white people can never know the joy of (insert great thing here) and how only black people can never know the joy of (again, great thing here) and how he must be soooo special to get to be both, we had this with my little brother as a kid, weā€™re all white and heā€™s half Pakistani, he hated the idea, but we made such a fuss of the great traditions that Pakistan is a part of that he was then desperate to be a part of it tooā€¦ worked a treat, now heā€™s proud of all of himself! Xx

8 Likes

My daughter is half Asian. We talked about it with her very early on so it wouldnā€™t be like a big deal hanging over her head. Sheā€™s 9 and now jokingly says her race is ā€œpolasianā€ ( polish and Asian lol) try not to make it a big deal. Just tell him everyone looks different.

2 Likes

Iā€™d just drop it. Heā€™s 4, his skin looks like what he perceives as white. He will get it later on.

Umm my son isnā€™t old enough to think about it yet but when the time comes Iā€™m just going to tell him that that is how God made him. And he shouldnā€™t want to be anything else.

1 Like

Heā€™s not confused about his race momma. They way you put it is heā€™s learned early on how this world is and he knows being mixed or black makes it harder for you and itā€™s not right for him to think that way this young.

My daughter is mixed and she embraced her black side. She is very happy. Let them decide?

At this age kids are freaking literal. Like we fully black and my son says heā€™s brown :rofl::rofl::rofl: Iā€™m not arguing with a 6 year old over something heā€™s right about. Now when it comes to the rest of my family heā€™s still literal. White and brown :woman_shrugging:t5::woman_shrugging:t5: until it comes a time and heā€™s older I ainā€™t trying to force it. But please expose him to both sides. Society makes it so hard for mixed children

4 Likes

My exā€™s son asked us once ā€œwhen he would be brownā€. My ex was Mexican and he was half Mexican and half white. I think itā€™s a natural curiosity/confusion. The child is wondering why they look different from a parent.

Explain everything to him and make him feel special. Iā€™ve always told my kids they could be whatever they want and pick at them. Now they tell me on different days theyā€™re different colors. U have to make it fun but yet get them to understand whatā€™s really going on.

Leave him alone about race and skin color, just let him be a kid

2 Likes

My kids are half white and half black. If you ask my daughter she isnā€™t. She is mixed with mashed potatoes Chocolate and princesses. She is 4.5

1 Like

I am mixed. Growing up I wanted to be like my dolls & mom, white and blue eyed. I expressed this to my mother very often. I was very self conscious & didnā€™t like my skin color as I got older. I never had someone tell me my skin is beautiful as a child and how proud I should b of being mixed. Keep explaining and complimenting him now because it very well can cause self image issues when older. Ive pushed through my own battles & learned to love myself & the skin Iā€™m in. My kids are mixed and say it loud and proud at 4 & 2 years old. Keep educating him! :heart::heart:

5 Likes

We are all full Puerto Ricanā€™s who vary in shades drastically lol so since my son was 3 he was constantly expressing heā€™s a different culture
As he got older books definitely helped him understand. We recently purchased this book n itā€™s awesome!

My skin, Your Skin. Where doā€¦ https://www.amazon.com/dp/1736765302?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Dad half and half what?

My son is 4, and heā€™s white, and native American, I have tried to explain it to him and even show him my side which is cherokee indian, and he tells me no momma! Iā€™m a white cowboy like my daddy :woman_shrugging:t4: I just let it be, one day he will understand as for now he owns several boots, cowboy hats, and even the little rodeo buck a rooā€‹:joy: complete with chaps and the vest, itā€™s Tonto and the lone ranger in my home.

If children are able to pick what gender they want to be why canā€™t they pick what race they want to be?

1 Like

Make it exciting because it is! Like ā€œyes you are white AND black! Isnā€™t that cool? Some kids are just white, and some are just black but you are both and youā€™re so special!ā€

1 Like

Hes 4 let him grow up a little.

2 Likes

I am half black and white with Cuban and Irish grandparents!. My son is a quarter of each because his dad had the recessive gene! He is 6 years old and still questions his race. I explain it the same way everytime but only time will tell! He doesnā€™t exaggerate that he is different but doesnā€™t acknowledge it either. To me he is perfect and always will be, but I will make sure he knows where he comes from! :blue_heart:

4 Likes

Everyone in these comments thatā€™s saying let it go must not have seen what this does to people when they grow up. Smh anyways Just educate him everyday whenever you can on how itā€™s amazing to be black :white_heart: put on black cartoons or movies (kid friendly) or once in a while educate him on black inventors randomly? Does he hang around other black people ? If not try to put him around other black people :relaxed:

3 Likes

My kids are half first nations and half Scottish I made sure to learn and celebrate and even decor my home so they grew up knowing to be proud of their roots

Hi, I also have a son in his age. Well I am Mexican and his half from his dad ā€œwhiteā€ so his a mix. Has brown stain like me. His so little I wouldnā€™t think itā€™s a problem what he wants to be itā€™s ok his mixed I think. Of course if he is darker he will figure it out. My son also stated that he was white. But I just brush it off and I donā€™t point. I donā€™t think itā€™s necessary as long as he knows his both and cultures of course but he can be who even he wants to me there no labelsā€¦ or does it matter ? The colour. Only culture of course. I wouldnā€™t think much of it. I do try to teach him about my culture and stuff maybe thatā€™s something you could do too? But to label him as a skin colour it donā€™t matter and you shouldnā€™t make it a big deal either. Hope this advice help you.

Mine has trouble convincing people theyā€™re Chinese these days. Weā€™ve had some interesting incidents. A photo of them when they had strawberry blonde hair for Chinese New Year surrounded by fully Chinese kids who were also confused and support teachers insisting they use yellow paint to represent skin colour (with the Irish green eyes and orange paint for the hair). We deliberately chose schools with a high percentage of mixed race and different race kids. It meant they didnā€™t need to see themselves as a particular race. It can be a problem being black - itā€™s all over the news - as the Chinese kids have to put up with bullying about causing Covid. People are also colourist - the paler the skin the better in all races and cultures. Teach him your background and culture rather than focusing on race or skin colour so he can be proud of you and his Dad. I donā€™t think mine feels Irish or Chinese and their coffee coloured skin doesnā€™t suggest either anyway.

My daughter comprehended more with carmel it was her own race. At first she didnt understand why we were separate colorsā€¦ lol now today she is BLACK and is very proud of it and makes jokes about me being white lol not to be mean or ill heartedā€¦ but Iā€™ll do something she will say that must be something white people do :roll_eyes::rofl:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve always told my kids that everyoneā€™s heart is the same color and that is what matters.

5 Likes

Iā€™m mixed race Ojibway/Scots with some French and itā€™s a journey your child will learn from. Itā€™s a blessing to be able to have perspectives of two worlds. Encourage them to learn about their history and be proud :heart:

2 Likes

My son is Guatemalan and white, raised by only whites. I have never left it a question. I tell him ā€œyou are are Hispanicā€. Because he has dark skin, that is the way the world will see him. When he says he wants to look like me, I explain how heā€™s the perfect mix of his father and me and I go over what his fatherā€™s race is again and where heā€™s from.

4 Likes

Maybe he should be able to identify as he sees fit. I donā€™t think the issue is him having a problem being part blackā€¦his issue is probably yā€™all pushing some shit on him.

He might just have a friend who is white and likes the way he looks.
My son is super white lol blond hair and blue eyes but just this week he told me how being black would be cooler because he would look like his friend. He doesnā€™t have a complex, just likes the way his friends look. :heart:

3 Likes

I think kids see things as one or the other at that age, black or white, good or bad, the truth or a lie, they donā€™t see the in between if anything. It will come with age and then he will understand better.

I think you need to talk about why he feels that way so you can understand him, he may get frustrated trying to come up with the words be patient with him.

Get books. Sulwe, by Lupita Ngoyo is one, but there are many nowadays that show the different shades of us & help kids embrace it

thats sad, its because of all this BS going on today, hes 4 and should`nt even have to think about this stuff at his age [or any age really] but its everywhere, you just hear about race and colors everywhere

3 Likes

No. This seems like someone is telling him some stuff.

3 Likes

Maybe help him identify as mixed instead of one or the other. Sit down with him and point down the ancestry on both sides, the countries that he comes from and learn about some of them.

No more racial profiling im Australian. Its so racist to talk like this and its honestly hurting our young and our communities. We are one but we are many. Keep the raceā€™s in Sport.

3 Likes

My sister is mixed, when we were little this exact thing happened. Just make sure they know itā€™s okay to be both. Kids picked on my sister really bad and she had a hard time emotionally because she didnā€™t feel accepted from either sides. Itā€™s very tough for some children, just let them know they are loved and beautiful. I would just leave it alone for now until they are old enough to understand they are both. Definitely donā€™t push towards 1 side, they are both so talk to them about both or you can open up them feeling ashamed of the other color. I hope this helps! Support from the family will always be best. Just hang in thereā¤

1 Like

My son is half Italian and his complexion is very dark, especially compared to my pale ass. :sweat_smile: He didnā€™t understand why he was ā€œwhiteā€ but still so dark, when he was youngerā€¦ I honestly think it mostly had to do with other kids at school. I know it is not the same scenario at all and I am so sorry your son feels like he shouldnā€™t be proud of both races. It must be really confusing and possibly even scarey for him right now. Keep supporting him and encourage learning all of the positive things about your familyā€™s history and all the great things black people have accomplished and overcome.

2 Likes

Iā€™m a mixed race too and I was also very confused growing up, Iā€™m half white and half Indonesian. I can tell you wait till heā€™s older heā€™ll understand it better. :blush:

2 Likes

My boys are mexican,Puerto Rican and black my oldest who is 8 always asked what he was when he was little because someone said he didnā€™t look Hispanic so I had to explain to him everyone comes in different shades. So maybe someone said something to him or he over heard a conversation.

My kids are mix and have quite light skin my son keeps saying his white and I keep saying he is white and black. I donā€™t think kids understand until a certain age. They see the colour of their skin and think thatā€™s that. Just keep with the positive messages and give it time x

1 Like

4 turning 5 how does a child at that age even know about race/skin color unless theyā€™re being taught it ā€¦ like wtf

1 Like

Itā€™s only a problem for children when adults make them aware of it. Ever see a black child playing with a white child? They play, they donā€™t spend their time talking about their colour. Adults on the other hand are worried that their 4 year old might call themself white so they go to fb for helpšŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø

1 Like

When my son was in kindergarten somebody called him a zebra and he came home and asked me why. I said it was probably because his father is black and I am white then he promptly looked at me and said ā€œbut Iā€™m not striped-Iā€™m brown so I think Iā€™m gonna be a brown bearā€. Now when we moved from the north to the south and away from our family who have many mixed children he had difficulty being too white for his black friends and too black for his white friends- but he participated in sports and excelled and found his tribe who are all shades.

I donā€™t get why anyone even cares. Iā€™ve never thought about it and you are all nuts

1 Like

A little different situation than yours but My youngest son when he was in kindergarten went through a phase questioning why he wasnā€™t black like his best friend in his class. He proceeded to blame and throw a tantrum towards his dad and I for giving him the wrong color skin as a baby. I told him that we cannot predetermine our skin color and that we are born the race God Chose for us. I said everyone is unique and beautiful no matter what color their skin isā€¦ Didnā€™t change how he felt ā€¦ he was 6 and wanted to be black not white. He did eventually move on from it and stoped questioning why he looked different.

Maybe try finding unique ways to get him interested in his culture. Maybe do a ancestry dna test showing him heā€™s more than just a boy with biracial parents. It might be fun for him to have a more in-depth understanding of where his family came from and what gave him his beautiful olive skin. I find learning about my familyā€™s heritage fascinating and fun. He might too.

He doesnā€™t understand the white and black race. He is seeing his color and that is all since he is so young just keep informing him he is a beautiful black and white boy n he will understand as he gets older :two_hearts:

1 Like

Look for mixed race YouTube videos

heā€™s probably confused with you telling him heā€™s black when he doesnā€™t look black to himself. yk?
Heā€™s only 4, i canā€™t imagine him understanding race very well.
Just teach him as he grows!!

1 Like

Heā€™s very young. He will understand more when heā€™s older. Keep introducing your different cultures to him! He will start to grasp onto the differences in food, music and traditions. :heart:

1 Like

My sons are mixed and we call them brown. My younger son is not there yet but my older son who also is olive tone seems to understand very well that his parents look different and his white cousins parents are the same tone. We point out that even tho he is a lighter shade he still has mommy and daddys tones mixed that makes him. I really loved the book mixed up mike when my son was about 4 we read it to him a lot and he liked it.

If heā€™s being persistent, then donā€™t argue with him. Just nod your head or go on to something else.
He might think heā€™s not black because his skin might not be the same tone as yours. And having other members sit down and talk to him doesnā€™t seem necessary yet.
Hes little.
My daughter thought she and a little girl were sisters when they were that age and they were different races.
They donā€™t understand at that age.

Too young my kids are four and five and they Donā€™t understand they say I have friends of all colors mom itā€™s so cool we all look different but we all love being friends just say weā€™re all like crayons or markers different but still want the same to be friends and have fun no matter the color were all people

We are a family of several races. I have read some research articles that suggested kids of mixed race who have relationships with other kids of mixed race tend to have a better sense of identity later on. Everyone is different though so that is not true for every child. In the end he will have to develop his own identity.

It will passā€¦I remember when my (now 24 age) son was about 6 I picked him up from school one day and as we drove away I could see he was sad. I asked what was the matter. He immediately began to cry. He said he must look ā€œstrangeā€. I asked why? He said kids said heā€™s half and half. A asked what he meant. He said he must look funny cuz half his face is Japanese and the other half is Mexican. I then realized he thought literally he was split in half! I then assured him he is ā€œblendedā€ and has a beautiful face. I told him those kids werenā€™t being meanā€¦that they just didnā€™t know how to describe him. He looked relieved.

I say let him be what and who he wants to be. He will grow up and figure it out. Right now he knows no better. Kids will be kids.