My child is mixed and confused about his race: Advice?

Why is it such a big deal? Why not allow him to grow and learn? Why not teach him and guide him as he goes and allow him to be who he is? I get wanting him to know. That I do. Why does it have to be now or never?

1 Like

My 5 y.o questioned me about his color and that he didn’t want to be dark brown like daddy but light brown light me. I explained he was made with love and he is half his daddy and half me that makes him beautiful. I also explained he is brown, not light not dark just brown and to love himself the way God made him. Ok for now but I know he will have tons more questions later.

At 4 he has been taught, bring it back to Jesus loves the little children :heart:

In today’s USA half the people in this country should stop talking about all the BS and check themselves into the nearest nut house…… MHI?

1 Like

Tori Ranieri for mom

It might just be an age thing, my son who is now 16 and not mixed were mexican, he would say he wasn’t mexican or want to speak spanish right around school age :woman_shrugging:t2: keep reinforcing culture and give it time.

My son is mixed race and i wasnt sure how id cross this bridge when its time. But in all honesty at that age he -your son- doesn’t understand the depths or dynamics of race nor to the extent we as adults are bombarded with race which makes us hyper aware of it.

Take it in your stride. Don’t get disheartened. He will understand better later in life. For now he merely sees himself as differing from his parents skin tones and is observing and wondering where he fits in.

Mix two color paints for him. Show him white and red making pink when you mix them (for example) and try show him how cool it is that he gets to be like the paint - mix them together and they make something special.

hugs

Love the paint analogy Lisa x