My daughter came out as bi and I want to support her even though it's against my religion: Advice?

Just realize that people can have simultaneous thoughts.
You can love someone and take care of them and treat them with respect

AND
Love your god and trust him and feel that you have done/are doing your part.

Shes your daughter. You support her regardless of if you would make that choice or not.
Not sure what “advice” is needed for this in 20freakin20
The world is literally falling apart.
LOVE AND SUPPORT YOUR CHILD, the world will be hard enough on her, she NEEDS you in her corner. Period.

8 Likes

Love her, your religion is your own not hers. Accept who she is how does being bi change your feelings for her? Her body her choice, i know plenty of religious people none who have gay kids have held it against them. Love is key word.

I believe it’s a sin…but only God can judge us. If it is a sin then they will answer for it. Not you or me. Love your child unconditionally…just as God loves us

1 Like

If you’re religion tells you anything but love and support her unconditionally… you need a new religion.
My Bible tells me to love everyone equally, and to never judge.
Your daughter is a gift. Treasure her!

196 Likes

She’s pretty young to think it she could just be growing into herself. Time will tell but being honest and supportive non judgmental will enrich your relationship either way. Good luck

15 Likes

Love her. Love her with your whole heart. She is your child. You have raised her well. Be grateful God has given you the ability to only support her. We aren’t here to judge others. Be grateful she wants to include you in her deepest thoughts and conversations. :slightly_smiling_face: You’ve got this!

53 Likes

Teenage years are rough. Hormones going everywhere. She may be bi or she might just not understand what’s going on. I dont agree with it either but that doesnt mean you cant love her and let her know that you will always be there for her. Help her through life when she needs you. I have a son and if I’m ever in the same position I’d want him to know he is loved and I am here.

32 Likes

What you do here will forever shape your relationship with your daughter. She knew you were religious, she told you she was bi despite of it. You need to raise to the occasion, your daughter should be the most important relationship in your life, more than with God. Prove her that you love her more than anything. Show your kid she is completely accepted because all major religions say that love is what matters most.

85 Likes

Ask her what she needs from you. Maybe she’d like to see a counselor to help her navigate her feelings. Maybe she’d like you and her to see a counselor together. Maybe she would like to be given the opportunity to stay home from church and church activities because of how she’s feeling.
I’d say the fact that she came out to you early says that you’re close and she trusts you. Just tell her you want to help her and remember that it’s probably just as confusing for her, so you’ll navigate the new life experiences together.

13 Likes

I say 13 is young to really know! My daughter at 15 told me the same thing she is know 34 and has 3 children, I told her to give it time things could change! Also told her I would always love her & I continued to pray for her! I believe God will guide you.

20 Likes

Support her and let her know she is loved. Don’t try to use your religion to tell her she is wrong or she will not come to you with any problems she has in the future. Pray for her and let her know that God is the only one that can/will judge her, but that he loves everyone.

18 Likes

Study what the Bible says with her. Let her ask questions and y’all look up the answers in the only source of truth. You can love your daughter and not support her decisions. Put it in another context like if she was cutting herself or something else that would be harmful to her body. The body is temporary, the soul is external. Parent her soul with all the love and tenderness of Jesus Christ. It is through His power that we make it through times like these.

16 Likes

Pray for guidance.The Lord does not make mistakes,she is how God inrended her to be.It ia not ours to judge,you are her mother,you are there to protect and teach.Much love and strength to you.:gift_heart::muscle:

99 Likes

Love and Support her. I’d say is battling with her over her decision worth putting that wedge in your relationship? Love her as she is or she’ll find someone who will at a much younger age. Her being open and honest says she trusts you enough to confide in you. Not going to be worth making her feel bad about herself. It won’t change it, it won’t fix it. She’s a child of God regardless.

3 Likes

If you are Christian, it’s not up to you to judge. Even Jesus chose the tax collectors and prostitutes. He said the thief on the cross would go to heaven. He taught love. So just love. Even if you don’t think it’s right. Because God/Jesus is all about love, forgiveness, & seeing past what society deems wrong.

28 Likes

Honestly girl, my family is too, but what’s most important in this situation more so then your religious views, is the happiness of your daughter. You don’t have to agree with her views to love her just the same, and support her through this journey. It may not be what you feel is right, but god loves all his children the same. Everyone should follow by that example , you can do it mama.

12 Likes

My best advice is that above everything else, our children matter more than anything in the world. She felt comfortable enough to tell you, and as her mother, you should love her and support her, regardless of your religious views. Your reaction is going to set the tone for how she feels about herself and her sexuality from here on out.

13 Likes

First of all —bravo to you for wanting to support your daughter and putting her before your religious beliefs. She probably was really nervous coming to you and the fact you are reaching out for help means so much about you as a parent! My best advice would probably be to make sure you just always put her first and communicate openly with her. Remember she’s a 13 year old girl with very emotion based brain development going on so if she reacts differently then you would expect her to just be as supportive as possible and clear of your intentions to support her❤️ good job momma

12 Likes

Love. You don’t have to agree with everything…but you can just love unconditionally and support her safety and wellbeing. Be thankful she felt safe to tell you.

6 Likes

I went through something similar several years ago…I set religion to the side and picked up my child. She was already scared and felt alone she needed my undying support and love.
There are support groups that can help you search through your own personal feelings and emotions :purple_heart:
#HUGHERTIGHTER

55 Likes

Support and love your daughter. She is very young and will go through many more changes and curiosities. Love her through life and let her find who she is. She will be so much happier.

3 Likes

Alot of teens go through this…mine did a year later shes got a boyfriend been with for near two years…most are just experimenting…its all the rage on social media and many programs there watching…just support her let her know your always there…you want them to be honest and upfront and trust you…many grow out of it. What is left is the ability to keep a strong relationship with them built on trust and unconditional love

2 Likes

Love your daughter unconditionally. I went through a similar thing with my daughter. Years ago. It don’t matter who she loves what she is she’s my daughter and I love her

3 Likes

I was a home health hospice nurse during the height of the AIDS crisis in the 90s. For the lucky ones whose parents were in or had come back to their lives, NOT one parent regretted that choice, but most regretted not doing so sooner, time lost can never be recaptured.

17 Likes

I’m bi & I was afraid to tell my mom. She found out by me writing her note telling her. She wrote back saying she loves me no matter what. You are who you are. Can’t choose ya know? Its life. Just love her. Even when or if she wants you to meet her girlfriend. Open up your heart to everything that will be coming towards you.

6 Likes

If you truly love your daughter, you would not have to question or support her. Love has no sexuality preference when it’s your child. I am a religious person also, but I would not let that interfere with my love for my child. Maybe it’s a phase, maybe she’s curious or maybe this is who she really is. Show her you support her choice through your love for her.

13 Likes

My Grandmother gave me probably the best piece of advice: “Love your children, no matter what. Even if no one else understands. Even if you don’t completely understand. You may be the only person there for them”. It has been so important in raising my 6 children. All of them different.

5 Likes

Love is the basis of all religion. Walk the journey with her as God has placed her with you for a reason :heart: Don’t let this stray you away from your daughter. Let this opportunity teach you how to grow and understand as a mother. Bless you both!

13 Likes

Just support her. If she brings home a girl act no differently than if it was a boy she’s bi not you. You can have your beliefs while still being loving and supportive of her

8 Likes

It can be against your religion, but you can still support her by not judging her decision and by continuing to love her. If you’re a Christian, the Bible says you also should not judge others. The way I see it, we’re all sinners. Who am I (or who are you) to judge another for their pick of sin? Let God figure it out and keep praying about it. :two_hearts::pray:t2:

7 Likes

Just don’t say anything. Let her be her. More than likely she will grow out of it. 13 is a challenging, transformational confusing time in life.

8 Likes

Sounds like you’ve empowered her enough to be who she wants to be :heartbeat: love is love, regardless who she loves you’ll still love her, nothing else matters. :rainbow:

4 Likes

This is a tough one due to your beliefs. I fought with this for a long time and wondered “would I be able to accept my child?” The answer is YES!!! I used to believe it was against God BUT God/Jesus loves all people. Love between two people is not wrong, whether that’s a man and a woman, a man and a man, or a woman and a woman. It’s love, what is wrong with that? Accept her for who she is. She needs you.

4 Likes

Be honest with yourself. I say that because it sounds like you aren’t doing that. Deep down your religion is more important than your daughter. Admit it and work on fixing it, if you want to. Tell the truth and you’ll find out all sorts of stuff about yourself.

5 Likes

You can support HER, the daughter you have loved all your life without agreeing with her lifestyle. There is a difference. Think with your heart and your mind and you will feel and know the difference.

4 Likes

I’m bi and when I came out to my mom, all hell broke loose. Needless to say that combined with other issues have alienated me from her. I wish i had my mom, but it’s just not in the cards because of these issues. My advice, don’t loose sight of the fact that she is daughter and she needs your love and support. Leave your religious beliefs out of the equation. I’m not saying dont practice your views, by all means be you. But when comes to your daughter and your relationship with her, just leave it at the door. Depending on your religion, God above all teaches us to love one another and acceptance. If you follow that, and keep your relationship with her strong and supportive and loving, you both will be fine. Good luck.

10 Likes

If you’re a Christian, all you need to remember is that Jesus called you to love one another, above all other things. That’s it. Just love her, as Jesus has commanded of us.

3 Likes

My son came out and there is no God or nothing that would make me think twice about not supporting him .shes gonna get a rough ride as it is needs to know home is safe with a loving mother who’s there for her no matter what x

3 Likes

My 13 year old came out as bi to me and her dad as well im her step mom but we both said that we would support her no matter. Her happiness is what is important to us. We are going to get her a pride flag. And just tell her we love her

3 Likes

My advice is don’t be set in your ways , open your mind and realize she cannot HELP who she’s attracted to or loves . It’s not a CHOICE. She’s a beautiful young lady I’m sure and doesn’t Change her at all keep that in mind.

2 Likes

It will prob take some time for you to adjust. But you will find she’s still the same sweet girl you love :heart: As long as she has a support system of family and friends she and you will be happy

2 Likes

Love her regardless of religion!! My mother was furious when I came out to her and It caused a huge strain on our relationship and made me very lost and confused most of my teenage years.

3 Likes

Yes, love her anyway! Dony try to talk her out of it. Be open with her. Tell her it’s hard for you to hear but you love her no matter what and will do your very best to support her

3 Likes

Nothing has changed. She is still your daughter. Just continue to pray for her and claim the word and God purpose over her life.

2 Likes

G-d says to love all people equally. While I dont believe sexuality in any way is a sun, the bible says love the sinner, not the sin. Support her in her journey through life. Leave your beliefs out of it and love her. She needs you in her corner, not as a preacher.

3 Likes

Honestly i was in your shoes last year and even though youre set in your ways doesnt mean your child is. Ive always been very open minded when it came to my children as my parents did us. So act as if it doesnt matter because all that matters to her is that it doesnt matter to you. My daughter screams to the world how happy and lucky she is to have such accepting parents/family. Always remember love conquers all so if you love your child, pretend until you accept it…you will one day. I promise.

2 Likes

Ask her what she needs, provide that. Then dont love her differently. Just love her.

7 Likes

First and foremost I think it’s beautiful that you can understand that you as an individual have a certain mindset but are still willing to be open to find ways to communicate and support her. Secondly, just remember, she’s 13 and figuring life out. Remind her that you love her and that Jesus loves her and that you’ll be there for her.

Thank you for being the kind of parent to try and learn and be understanding instead of judging and being demeaning. :heart::heart::heart:

3 Likes

Sounds like u have some good advice here. I know we are supposed to put God first but at the end of the day we don’t wanna push our children away or worse cause them to feel unloved and suicidal. Remember mom, u have raised her to know right and wrong. She is at the age where she knows the difference. The choice is hers now. The choice that is yours is what you allow in your home directly. U can’t stop what happens.outside of your yard but at home u have all control. Continue to guide her in the Lord’s word and pray it will imprint on her heart and she will get thru this. Prayers.

7 Likes

I want to first off stop you and praise you! To come and ask for advice especially when it has to do with part of your beliefs. You are already off to a good start!
As a mother, I give you an award! Seriously!

She’s young but sometimes you know when you know. (my uncle is gay and has been for a long time he just knew he was, I don’t care personally, I still love him. )

Be there, listen, even when you want to be mom, just listen for a little. Communication does so much!

You love her. Simple. Be her mom. You don’t have to agree with her choices to love her. Your religious views are just that…your views. What you do here will have the most impact on her life. You must be already doing amazing if she trusted you enough to tell you. Just keep doing it and keep your opinions on it to yourself. As long as she is not putting herself or anyone else in danger let her explore who she is.

1 Like

My thing is religous or not your child is always gonna be your child. And no matter what, you should ALWAYS love what blessing God has bestowed upon you. God made her the way she is… she is perfect the way she is. My 15 yr old niece came out to her mom and me a few weeks ago saying that she only like girls not boys. I raised her since she was a baby while my sister worked 12 hour shifts(singal mom) to support her kids. My sister is having issues accepting her but I’m not. I support her 100% . I will always accept her no matter what. She is a part of me and I wouldn’t change her for anything.

Don’t do anything🤷‍♀️ As a bisexual who had overly religious parents, it’s the best thing you can do for her. Just act like nothing has changed, because in reality, it hasn’t. She’s still the same person and still your daughter. It doesn’t effect you in any way, so just tell her, “Okay. I still love you. You are still my child and I support and love you no matter what.” If you can’t do that, then you’re not really fit to be a parent🤷‍♀️

1 Like

You love your child and be a supportive parent, because that’s what you were put here to do. Keep the lines of communication open. My daughter came out to me at 14. I give her all the support and unconditional love she deserves. Religion shouldn’t even be considered, unless you’re being selfish. Just my opinion.

2 Likes

Just remember you’re her mother above everything, and she doesn’t want to disappoint you, but she also can’t ignore that part of herself. It isn’t healthy for her to suppress it, and luckily she was comfortable enough to tell you. Just say “ok honey” and continue to be her mom.

Support her! One things for sure, im going against everything needed to to support my daughter and her know shes unconditionally loved and supported… live unapologitcally ALIVE and go for the ride with her… when she becomes a mother one day , shell understand your sacrafices and love that will mould her into an amazing loving mother and more importantly a freeminded loving human being

I say this bc i always appreciated and loved my mother but it wasnt till i had my daughter that i understood wht type of love my mother showed me and what she sacraficed to always make sure i was happy, the support the love, the strength… be there for her! Its the best thing

Just love her is my advice. You don’t have to agree with her decisions, but we are called to love.

You can not agree with what someone does and still show them unconditional love. The biggest way you can do what God wants all of his followers to do, is to love one another without limitations, without judgement, and without resentment. It’s not our job to judge people it’s our job to support and love one another.

Just continue being there for her and showing her love. Not much more you can do. At the end of the day she is still your child and that love would still be there. Maybe get her some counselling to help her understand exactly what she is feeling because teenage years can be very confusing and this could be just an experimental stage or she could really be bi. Either way respect her choice even if you do not agree with it.

Nothing has changed, she’s still the same daughter you love. It’s a general part of growing up where children will do things we don’t believe in (religion related or not).
Everyone is entitled to their own views and opinions but we all still deserve love and respect. Just love and support her as normal :heart:

Just love her & support her, trust me it’s harder for her than it is for you. It’s not the end of the world… love is love :rainbow:

She came to you and opened up to you. Love her! She trusted you enough to open up to you. Talk to her and let her know she is loved, and you want her to be treated with love and respect in any relationship she chooses to be in. Let her choose who she tells and when. Be her ally whether you believe in how she feels or not. Take her to pride if she wants to go. Show her that her trusting you was not a mistake.

It’s not about religion here. It’s about your daughters happiness. We all deserve love whatever that means. Support here or she may not want to be in your life. My kids are everything and I would support them no matter what unless criminal. I am not supposed to judge that’s up to God. Love and prayers.

Just LOVE her . Support her by being the same exact way you would be her supportive mom if she was a straight person !
COMMUNICATE with her .
Ask her ?’s .
LISTEN to what she personally needs from you .
Support her passions , education , joys & safety !

Her expressing this to you & You asking for help to support your daughter , Probably speaks volumes to the positive relationship you two already have established :two_hearts:
Give yourself grace mom .

I’m very religious too. And my niece came out to me last year I just made sure for her to know jesus loves all of us and that whatever she was feeling I understood u feel love in so many ways.

She still is your daughter and to me feels like she has a good relationship with you for coming out this early. You are her mother no matter what. Remember that as a mother you need to put your kids first than religion. It’s my opinion. You have your religion and you can follow it but she doesn’t need to just because she is your daughter. She might end up experiencing with girl but marrying a man. Always be by her side because in her darkest days she will always remember that her mom is there for her no matter what

Just love her and accept her as she is. She’s young and may still be “figuring herself out.” She may really be bi, or gay, or straight. Don’t freak out about it. Be grateful that she told you! And just love her however she is and wants to be. :heart:

1 Like

Show her that you won’t stop loving and caring for her just because she made a choice/Is different. Pretty sure every teenager does things and feels things that parents don’t agree with. This shouldn’t be different.

First and foremost when you get pregnant and have a baby you need to realize when they cut the cord the child became her own being. You are a mother. Support your child. Be honest about your fears and religious belief. If she is strong enough to talk to you about her sex life, she is strong enough to have an adult conversation. Then remember to breath and think before answering each other. Respect each other’s decisions and set rules for further relations and activities because there are holidays, birthday, and weddings. Not to mention future children possibly.

I think she is too young to really know. It is a rough and confusing time. Both my girls thought it considrred it. One dated and both are now in relationships with men. As far as religion matbe it’s wrong maybe its not. In the end we only atone for ourselves and no one else. I would offer support and understanding be willing to discuss it.

Always support your kids decisions, regardless if you disagree. If they change their mind down the road, they’ll know that your love and support are unconditional.

Love is love!!! And as I see it, god wouldn’t turn his back on any of his children for any reason, why would you? Just love them even more!!! Right now they need your support in this confusing world we live in!!

If God is against religion, then why are you religious. Jesus sat and ate with everyone. His disciples weren’t even religious. So love and support your daughter. Jesus died for all.

Just be supportive. Mu daughter was 16. She told my son whom told us. We casually brought up subject. Told her we loved her unconditionally. She’s 29, married to a wonderful man and has a four year old son. My point is she knew we would suppiet her regardless. I too come from a very religious background. You don’t have to agree with her choices but moral support is important. That’s my advice. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Love and support her choices. If she was open enough to talk to you then you already have an accepting relationship. She is still so young and coming into her own at this point in her life. Keep that door open :heart:

God loves us all. Religion and loving good 2 different things. Who your daughter loves shouldn’t matter to anyone. I am a Pentecostal, and I support her. I just ask God to guid her. Remember God makes no mistakes

Shes your kid. You love her? BAM that’s it. Religion or not love is love. Imagine how hard that must have been for her to even tell you? She obviously trusts you. There isn’t any particular way to act or behave just keep doing what you’re doing. You’ve obviously created an environment where your baby girl feels safe to tell you. So it’s not about supporting her per say it’s about loving her unconditionally as you have her entire life.

As a religious person you should have been taught that you are not to judge and to love one another. Thats all you need to worry about. Simply love her. And guess what? She’s already forgiven in the Lord’s eyes.

Love is love. You love her. You love your church but if your church doesn’t love you for loving her time to find a new church

I an catholic and therefore Christian. I follow Jesus and God who loved everyone. Love your neighbor as yourself, do unto others as you would have done unto you. Love is better than hate. This world needs love for sure right now. I have a family member who is gay. I love him. He is kind, generous, funny. Humans have all kinds of attributes that have nothing to do with their sexual orientation. She is still the same young lady you have known for 13 years, she just shared something with you that you didn’t know. I think that says a lot about how much she trusts and loves you.

2 Likes

A mother’s love should be unconditional, just because this is her choice, it does not reflect on you. I am gay and my mother asked “what did I do” and my response was “you raised a loving daughter who is strong enough to love who her heart loves!”

Focus on your daughters happiness :sparkling_heart: I’m not that religious but one thing I’ve noticed that most religions have in common is that God is forgiving. Not saying that she’s done anything wrong but if you feel like that always remember that your God forgives :blue_heart:

I’d say you personally don’t have to agree with it but let her know you accept her and any decision she makes regarding this at the end of the day she’s your daughter and there is nothing we wouldn’t do for our kids right ? Even if it makes us uncomfortable because your relationship with her is most important and she needs to feel that
Not to say what u believe isn’t important it is of course but I think there is a balance and a way to believe how u believe without hurting your daughter in the process :heart: good luck I’ll pray for u to have guidance in this

As a mother of 2 lesbians I can only say this. Your child came to you because you are her mother and every child needs their mothers support and love no matter what. Parents are suppose to be a child’s safe place where they can go with anything and not receive judgement. Parents are not supposed to pass judgement. Only love and support. This is not a religious matter. It is a parent child matter. The best thing for you and your child in my opinion is to make sure she understands that regardless of how you feel personally you are her mother above all else and you will love and support her unconditionally. People that choose to come out when they are very young have an incredibly hard road ahead of them.

I have come to realize that I don’t have to agree with my children’s decisions, or like their decisions, I just have to love and support them. Each of my kids do things that are not in agreement with our religion, but they are my kids. God sent them to me to raise and love. So I do. Good luck!

I dont know what religion you are but I dont recall one telling any parent to stop loving their kid. Love your child. God (or what ever name you call your deity(s)) blessed you with that child with all their characteristics. Dont judge them either. Be happy if theyre happy

Just love her. She’s still the same child you have loved for the last 13 years.

1 Like

She’s 13…how she feels today could change in a heartbeat. It also may not.
Being 13 is hard…just love her. That’s all. You don’t have to lecture her, or tell her you don’t approve or that your religion blah blah blah…focus on empathizing with her for being 13 and help her to develop strategies for forming quality loving relationships. He sexuality is her own private business that she’ll manage.

That you love her and for her to keep her mind open to growing as a person and that she needs to put the pros and cons down and make decisions that way… she is young and you pushing her with your values may just completely push her out of your life… it’s ok to love her but. It agree?!!

Just love your children! That’s all. Accept them and love them. That is What God would want. He gave you this child and whatever she is or isn’t just love her as God would want you too. After all she was his gift to you.

1 Like

Love her for who she is not what she is. This is your daughter. I am Christian also but the bible teaches about love and that is the most important value in life and your children.

I’m coming from a respectful, but honest way. Your child is still your child and no religion can change that. You also have to realize that your religion is for YOU and your daughter may not believe in it at all. Ultimately, she loves who loves and that is just who she is. You can either accept her or be a roadblock for her. With all due respect, as long as she’s happy and healthy in her relationship, it really isn’t your issue who she’s with.

Doesn’t God love everyone and religion supposed to teach us to be accepting of everyone and love thy neighbour doesn’t that mean treat others as you would like to be treated?
Or is all that just the BS that is fed to children. Because since I have become an adult anything that anyone doesn’t agree with is suddenly against God and the Bible etc

I have no real advice for you but I just want to say that I really love this post. It shows that you’re an amazing mom. Still showing a mother’s love and support even when you don’t approve is the best thing we can give our children. :two_hearts:

I was also very religious at one point, but having to daughters who I raised strong and independent lol my fault, opened my eyes to a whole different understanding, I’m such a better mother because if them. So my advice LISTEN??? Try to understand where she is coming from, keep your mouth closed, so you can really hear her, and then when it’s your turn to speak she can give you the respect back. It will take time, but it will be worth it. We know in my family we all have a voice, and we definitely all have our own opinions and we respect that.

So in ur mind u may think it’s a phase, but in actually if she knows this early and told you it means she trusts you so take time with her and ask questions, she is still figuring things out about how she feels.I wish I had parents I could tell but they are really religious and wouldnt have anything to do with me if I told them.i am bi myself and knew early on I had feelings towards both sexes.ur heart loves who it loves.and as her mother u love ur daughter because she is yours just remember that.best luck with u both to support one another

Be the mum that she wants you to be there for her in her ups and downs support and love comfort her when she needs you

Just remember, Jesus accepted everyone in society. Not everyone is the textbook “perfection” of Christianity because that doesn’t exist. You can practice the Christian Faith by being open and loving to everyone. Accepting that everyone has their own path and their “sin” is no different than the plenty included in the Bible. Only God can judge us and as long as you’re an actual good person to everyone regardless of faith,background,orientation, race…you’ll be welcomed to the kingdom of heaven.

Your job as parent is to protect, nurture, and accept your child. What they do on their own is their own path.

2 Likes

Why would you look at her differently ? She is your daughter ! The same little girl you carried for nine months . Her private life has nothing to do with you so wish her happiness :heart: