My daughter came out as bi and I want to support her even though it's against my religion: Advice?

The fact that you are here asking for help, and that you DO want to support her tells me everything will be just fine. It will be hard for a little while but eventually it will click for you. You will wake up one day and realize loving her is much easier than being sad/mad at her. You’re doing just fine.

2 Likes

You have your beliefs an she has hers as shes her own person. Support love an guide her despite exactly how u feel. She will figure it all out someday shes young.

She is your daughter. You made the choice to have sex and give birth to her. You told her as a baby that no matter what happens you were gonna love her. So honor that. Love her. Even though your religion tells you it’s a sin it dosent tell you to hate her or to not support her. She is your daughter and coming out to you was probably the hardest thing for her and the one thing she dosent want is for you to look at her any differently. Because at the end of the day nothing about her is different. She just likes both genders. And one day one will win over the other. It just happens. But till then just love her and help her figure out what this all means.

I’d ditch any religious that tells me how to love someone but only if they fall into their category. :woman_shrugging:t4:

Just told her as long as she’s happy that works for me. And asked her to dishes since it was her turn to wash them.

1 Like

Support her regardless! Love is love no matters who she loves! As long as she gets treated like a queen who cares! Some of the best people I know are lesbians! My most loyal friends!

You need to expand your horizons someone’s sexual preference has nothing to do with religion :woman_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

As someone who is bi I can say this try not to be judgement and try to have an open mind and be willing to learn about it and let her know you still loved her and just be honest with her but also show her your willing to try and learn and accept and that it may take time

My daughter also came out when she was 13 that she was gay not bi but just gay and her girlfriend is black. I’m just happy that she can’t get pregnant LOL

2 Likes

I know many gay and lesbian (and bi) individuals that still believe in God and some still the Bible. They have found churches that have welcomed them. Just because she might be with a girl at one point, doesn’t mean that you should change your view of her. I understand that you think it’s wrong, but didn’t the Bible say love thy neighbor? Do you follow what the Bible says 100% (such as not eating pork)? Or do you chose what you think is right and follow that? Do you judge others? Because the Bible also says “do not judge, or you also will be judged”.

It’s also recently been suggested that the translation for “homosexual” from the Bible didn’t actually mean that, but it meant “young boys”. So what it actually means to say is to not lay with young boys, compared to the versions that say man shall not lay with man like they do a woman. So maybe Jesus never said anything about homosexuality and it’s just your own biases that is holding you back from fully accepting your child for who they are.

I do not mean this in a mean way. I’m just trying to be honest. I just don’t understand how any parent can not accept their child for who they are. Even murders still have parents that love them (Jeffery Dahmer for example).

1 Like

Uhhm, if she loved and married a man, how involved would you be in their intimate life? If your daughter had a supportive BFF that went and did everything together would you love and respect that
Friend? God is love, love is acceptance. Like it or don’t it’s your right but love your child and love the one that treats them right, supports and loves them. Try looking at it through that lens and it may help you. I have my views but if my child brought this to my table, I’d say I love you anyway and if their so treated them with love and respect they’d have mine. Give it time.

2 Likes

Love is love don’t ruin your relationship with your daughter for the rest of your Life because you don’t agree with her love life.
Good job for trying to understand and work through it most don’t :blush:

3 Likes

If your religion is against your daughter then time to drop the religion. Family first always

4 Likes

I don’t see how a person can be religious and yet go against bi, gay etc. If god made us in his image then he would hold love for all man or woman himself. Man created religion and hate. God loves all his children and he created us with the possibility of loving the same gender. If he didn’t want such a thing then he would have created us without the capability of feeling such a way. I’m not a religious person but I wouldn’t want to follow a god or religion that told me to hate my own child/ren or my fellow my fellow man for having completely natural and normal feelings.

3 Likes

Just like you said .she is your daughter and love her. Your a great mom.

1 Like

I love this. My super religious mom has never accepted me being bi. Ever. Is determined it’s not true and told me she would disown me if I ever showed up with one of my girlfriends or married one of them… I’m glad there are religious parents who can still support their LGBTQ kids!

1 Like

When I was around that age I thought I was bi too. My mom told me that she has a similar experience but that it wasnt actually true. I’m think women are attractive but that’s it. It might pass or light not. Just try your best to be supportive :blush::blush:

Just being accepted would have meant the world to me.

You are doing the right thing in supporting her

1 John 4:20
If anyone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen.

1 Peter 4:8
Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins.

John 13:34-35
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

1 John 4:11
Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.

Romans 13:8
Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law.

1 John 3:18
Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth.

Galatians 5:13
For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.

John 15:12
“This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.

Luke 6:31
And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them.

1 John 4:7
Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God.

Luke 6:35
But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return, and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, for he is kind to the ungrateful and the evil.

1 John 3:11
For this is the message that you have heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.

Leviticus 19:18
You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the sons of your own people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the Lord.

James 4:12

There is only one lawgiver and judge, he who is able to save and to destroy. But who are you to judge your neighbor?

“There is one lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy: who art thou that judgest another?”

Matthew 7:1-3

1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

Romans 3:23
for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God

2 Likes

Hmmm shes 13 so she probably doesnt even know what the hell shes talking about. Your the mother not the friend

3 Likes

Love her.
Love her with all your might.

1 Like

Sit down with her and watch the entire series of 13 Reasons Why - make popcorn - learn, grow and talk with her. There is no sin! As long as she is kind and loving. I know far more religious folks who are downright cruel and divisive. Mom to Mom this is where we teach our children how to respect differences.

1 Like

She’s a child, how is she sinning. Your religion is set up to control the masses. Be a mum first, and bring that child into your world and learn from her. Love is love

Parenting teaches you to open your view when it’s been closed. Sometimes you teach, sometimes you learn

1 Like

You’re making the right move even thinking about it… that means your heart is in the right place. Love her always, despite her choices. If your God would resent her, you’re worshiping the wrong God! Just say, “ok!” And leave it at that. Nothing more.

2 Likes

Love is love. I understand your religion is important but as a mother your children and their happiness always come first. Being able to be comfortable enough to come and tell you had to have been very hard for her…because as you say you are religious and don’t believe in those ways. You dont have to agree with it or participate in her relations so just be as happy as you can be that she includes you in the parts of her life she feels are important enough to include you in. Im sure loving your daughter unconditionally regardless of her sexuality isn’t considered a sin.

1 Like

What would Jesus do? I doubt he would do anything other than love her. So do the same.

1 Like

My brother was gay & at first he told our family he was also bi. I know this is something that he struggled with for years! He was depressed & worried we wouldn’t accept him from a young age. We were all very accepting & loving & just wanted him to be happy. We didn’t treat him any different. He was still our brother & my parents son. I know he was most worried about how our Dad would react bc our Dad is very old fashion. It may be hard for you but it will be a lot easier for her if you try to have an open mind & love her just the same as you would if she hadn’t told you that she is bi. Unfortunately life may already be more difficult for her especially at the age of 13 & when she is high school too. She is still your daughter & still deserves your unconditional love.

1 Like

Be proud of yourself for wanting to support your kid! Her life, her choices. Just love her. You don’t have to like the fact that she is bi but it’s who she is. It’s not a choice.

1 Like

My grandma is super religious… greatest thing she told me when i came out as bi was
“You know god doesnt like it, but who am i to decide who he loves and doesnt. His word can say one thing and his heart could mean another. All i know is i love you regardless of my beliefs”

1 Like

Love her like a mother should and leave religion out of it…

1 Like

Just tell her well whatever you are we love you.
In our house we don’t encourage or support dating at such a young age (one reason kids can be confused about their preferences)
But if your daughter is bi I don’t see how you can support her other than just letting her know you love her unconditionally. Theres no serious life changes , it’s not like she wants to change her gender.

Just remember God gave us freewill. While we have an ideal of what God expect from us. It’s not up to us to judge someone else. Just love her, and ask God to give you guidance.

2 Likes

You dont have to agree but it’s wrong to turn her away love her and let her know you are there for her

She’s not a sinner. Love her & support her, she is your daughter no matter what.

3 Likes

There is a difference between supporting the sin & loving the sinner. Remember that all sin is equal in the eyes of the Lord and she is no different than other sinners (as we all are). Love her, and still stay strong in your faith. Pray for her. Seek godly counsel. Find ways to support her and let her know you love her without condoning the sin.

6 Likes

She’s still your child. Period. Same exact person she was before she told you. Her beliefs don’t have to be the same as yours :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Just love her. It doesnt change the fact that shes your child. Or who she is. My daughter is also in the LGBTQ community. It doesnt mean anything to me. I’m still gonna love her. She is my baby. No matter what

If your religion is saying you shouldn’t like someone because of their sexual preference then maybe your religion should change.
No matter what love your child.

9 Likes

Drop your religion, it’s a waist of valuable mind space, and accept your daughter fully. Period.

8 Likes

It’s ok. 13 is an difficult age. It may pass it may not. You don’t need to have daily conversations about it. Be happy she was comfortable having uncomfortable conversation

3 Likes

My daughter in a same sex marriage all l can dont throw away how you feel but know if you love and you want her to be happy that saying that you have to swollen alot of pride on your part just imagine what she goes thru and just there pray for her and your feelings too but never turn away from her for this reason noone said being a parent was going be easy my grandma told me It would be the best and hardest and most painfully love l would ever know she got it right in all fsctors

1 Like

Change nothing except a religion that’s “against” your daughter!

10 Likes

Just tell her you love :heart: her and will be there for her

Religion has nothing to do with being a mother. Accept her anyway she is !!!

6 Likes

God bless for giving her the support she needs. :heart::sparkles:

1 Like

You either love and accept your daughter unconditionally or risk losing her forever.

3 Likes

It may be a phase she is only 13. Just tell her I love you and will be there no matter what.

All you people saying “just love her” or “shes your daughter. Period” well duh! OP is not saying she doesnt know what to do with the info. Or that she doesnt support her daughter. She is seeking help with balancing the two because her daughter AND her religion are both equally important. She is obviously supporting her daughter. She wondering if any other mamas have been through this and how they made it blatantly obvious that she does IN FACT support and love her daughter while ALSO keeping her religion. OP I think you’re amazing! Your daughter needs you. And it’s clear she has you. High five to you mom! I’d say treat her NO different. You don’t have to go out of your way with big over the top displays to show your support. Just keeping being mama to your daughter.

9 Likes

She is your daughter. She is her own person with her own preferences and deserves your support no matter how you feel.

1 Like

Do you love her any less? No? Then it’s okay your brain just needs some time to catch up. I’m not religious whatsoever but god created us in his image and it says we should love everyone. Homosexuality was actually referred to as someone who laid with a child but was later translated to being gay. The pope is supportive of people who are gay.

1 Like

Treat her just as you would normally if she was straight.

2 Likes

She is your child. Just love her and provide her a safe space. There is too much hate in the world.

2 Likes

You love your child without liking the way that she chooses to live her life.

1 Like

Simple get a new religion my daughter is a lesbian and I couldn’t be prouder

3 Likes

Ok as simple as this judge not least yea be judged. Cannot remember the scripture chapter and verse. You love her and support her it’s gods job to deal with judgment. Remind yourself when someone from church gets in your face and they will I’m sorry.

1 Like

F*** religion…that’s your child

4 Likes

As long as your daughter is happy that’s all that matters. Your kiddos happiness comes before yours always.

2 Likes

She’s your daughter. Unconditional love. God loves everyone so religion shouldn’t stand i your way to accept/support her.

3 Likes

Just keep your comments to yourself. At that age, it COULD just be a phase. I say that because in high school, lots of girls claimed they were bisexual, but “grew out of it”. The last thing you want to do is make her feel unloved. Just continue as if she never told you, if that helps. Love the sinner, hate the sin.

4 Likes

The bible telling grown men not to rape little boys is not against homosexuality, it’s against adults raping children. You misread the bible. I have read it in full.

2 Likes

Support her, she may or may not change as she grows older. 13 is very young.

Jesus loves you as you are… love your daughter as she is. She obviously knows your beliefs and trust you enough to come out to you. Just love her the same. Nothings changed between yall, just her preference.

Tell her she can come to you with anything. Tell her you’re her mother and you love her. Support her. Be there for her. Do what loving mothers do.

4 Likes

If your religion tells you to hate somebody then you should get a new religion

6 Likes

:woman_facepalming: really??? You’ve misread the bible. Bc of religion there’s so much hate and suffering. Just love and connect with your kids and accept them for who they are period.

3 Likes

Talk to her to establish boundaries. Ask questions to show that you’re wanting to understand. Tell her that you’ll love her for who she is regardless. Remember that everyone doesn’t believe in the same thing and that everyone is a sinner. Please don’t try to force your religion on her. You, as a person, can love it but she ,as an individual, does not have to. Good for you for wanting to be supportive.

1 Like

I respect you so much for choosing to support and love your child even though it’s not part of your belief system❤️ the fact that you are trying already means so much!

6 Likes

Yeah, get the fuck over yourself, and be happy for the kid. That’s my advice.

I too am strong in my religious beliefs and I had a best friend who was gay (he passed away couple of years ago). I asked my Pastor how do I reconcile his lifestyle and my belief system. My Pastor told me it wasn’t my job to reconcile it my job was to love him. This freed me up to love my friend unconditionally while knowing it didn’t mean I agreed with his lifestyle.

12 Likes

She is 13 and just figuring out who she is and what she likes. As a mom of a daughter who thinks she is Bi and raised her to know God is against it. I tell her I don’t agree with because I know God doesn’t agree with it but as her mom I will always love her and support her the best I can.

2 Likes

What kind of question is this? I mean, which is more important? Your daughter and her happiness or your religion? I think answer is obvious: your daughter.

4 Likes

Mama, the only thing in the world that matters is that whomever she decides to be with makes her feel happy & takes care of her emotionally. Life is hard, I’m sure you know, she needs to know not to settle for anything less than a real partner, no matter what their sex is. Someone who has her back, no matter the obstacle, and builds her up to be the best version of herself that she can be. It’s incredible that you want your baby to feel love & happiness, and that you are choosing to be a part of that. Be a good part, be a loving part, and let her know she deserves the whole world! :heartpulse::heartpulse:

Find a new religion that teaches kindness and acceptance

1 Like

She is very young she may b just going through a stage dont make a big deal of it

I would suggest a family support group. There are ones just for parents.

https://pflag.org/family

Join a Christian’s who support LGBTQ groups online.

From my understanding of religion, it is not for you to judge her, I see comments saying god frowns upon it in the Bible. But it is not your place to judge her or to make her feel like God disagrees. The book was written and translated years ago and back then a lot of corruption happened. Love her and don’t shame her for what she believes. It’s not your place to judge her or to look down on her, it is also no one else’s place to do so. Love and accept her for
Who she is.

1 Like

It’s against YOUR religion. But think about it like this. It’s not about YOU. The worst possible thing you can do for her especially right now is to not support her. When I came out to my mother she flat out just said “no you’re not” and that cost her a good relationship with me. Don’t you think that’s more important? It was probably a big thing for her to do considering your religious views to begin with. I’d tell her that it’s okay and that you love her and thank her for being so willing to be honest with you because if you don’t she won’t ever bother coming to you again. The last thing she needs right now is judgement. And remember “only God can judge” it’s merely your place to make sure she’s okay and safe.

4 Likes

Love for our children should be unconditional. Even if you don’t fully agree with her choices, remember that your job (well, part of this huge job )as a mother is to be supportive as she goes through learning who she is. You must be doing something right if she felt comfortable telling you. Also, just bc it goes against your religion doesn’t make it wrong. Many religions judge in different ways. We all sin in just as many tho. :slightly_smiling_face:.

Your daughter coming out to you at 13 shows that she loves and trusts you. As a 13-year-old transgender kid I started hormones on the streets without my parents knowing because I did not have the courage to tell them. More than 15 years later when they finally found out the reaction was as awful as I had expected in my worst dreams because of our religion. You are a good mother for wishing to be supportive to your daughter and not crush her. I wish I knew the answer, but what my siblings do is as good as we can achieve and at this point of my life I have accepted that they disagree with me being trans and cannot support me in that because of their belief, but that they will always love and pray for me, and be here for me in every way other than acknowledging my identity. We enjoy each other’s companies and are good friends and confidents. It is a compromise that I prepared for all my life because of the solid religious foundation my parents gave me. I do fear God and the possibility that I may be wrong, so I really don’t know the answer, other than please don’t push your daughter away. She isn’t doing anything against you or to make you sad or disappointed. God bless you.

34 Likes

I’m Christian and have already thought of this despite my children all being very young. We love our children. That’s our job as their parents. We don’t have to agree with the choices they make in their lives. We don’t have to agree with their sexuality. We don’t even have to like their job choice. Because it’s their lives to live. We should be happy, supportive, and loving if they are happy. Because at the end of the day, that’s the only expectation we should have for their futures. That they be happy. Just love her Momma. And if she’s happy, be happy.

10 Likes

Just love her and listen.

3 Likes

Story…
The pastor at my church is the best example for an answer to this. One of his daughters is gay. When she told him they were getting married he told her he couldnt attend the wedding. BUT he went to the reception. Its not his belief but he loves her so much that even though he couldnt be a part of the union, he was always going to be there for her. Hes never turned his back on her.
My dad on the other hand disowned me for getting pregnant out of wedlock. He got over it but if I was to tell him I’m bi…I will never see him again. Thats why my dad doesnt know everything about my life. Hes the only parent i have left and I cant even be honest with him, even about our home renovations or food we eat!
Don’t shut her out. Be there for her no matter what, even if you cant agree with them. Dont let it get to the point where she feels she has to hide even the smallest details of things that shouldnt have to be a secret.

5 Likes

Love covers a multitude of sin. Just love her and pray Gods will in her life. GBY

2 Likes

The way my son looks at it, it is only for God to judge, not a job for us mere mortals (“Judge not, lest ye be judged.”).

Try experiencing a different church sometime. We usually just blindly adopt whatever religion our parents were without question, and it’s good to broaden our horizons. Most Christian doctrine is remarkably close. If you are Catholic, visit a liberal Episcopal church or ELCA Lutheran church (both of which usually welcome LGBTQI people). You will likely feel at home because most of the ritual is the same.

For a change of pace, visit a Unitarian Universalist church, almost always an intentionally welcoming congregation, so there are usually a bunch of non traditional families and people. They may even have great support for LGBTQI people and their families. Plus you are welcome to hang onto your Christian beliefs, but services will not all focus on the Bible, and the services usually vary a lot. One of our ministers said “The Unitarian Church is where you come to get your answers questioned.”

Since most churches are online only now, you can explore them in the comfort of your home with your daughter.

Challenge your beliefs. You are welcome to hang onto them, but don’t do so blindly. Also join PFLAG (Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays). It encompasses the rainbow and can provide you with lots of help, understanding and support.

Change your religion then.

19 Likes

She is young and most likely experimenting and my not be. But the main thing is put your religion aside and make sure you keep that communication door open. You don’t have to like it you just have to love her an support her in all her uniqueness. We may not always like what our kids choose for themselves in life. The main goal is making sure you never make her feel like she should hide anything or be ashamed. An she can always come to you an have your support

3 Likes

Your amazing momma just keep supporting her ur better then half the population

1 Like

She did not specify whether she was a Christian, a jew, a Hindu or a Muslim. She just said religious. And all religions have things to say against this.

God loves all his children so im lead to believe…

1 Like

She is your daughter. You can be religious and still fully support her. Be there for her, do not judge her, help her when she needs help, hold her when she is hurting (the world can be cruel), do not try to change her or convince her against how she feels, ask questions when you have them (I’m almost positive she’d rather educate you than have you not understand), do not be surprised if she comes out further later on down the road (coming out as bi can often be used as a stepping stone to test the waters and gauge your reaction before coming out fully), join some lgbtq+ support groups and ones for family members of lgbtq+ individuals, allow yourself to process your feelings, and most importantly continue to love her. Coming out to you was very big for her, especially knowing you are religious. Take that as a sign that she truly trusts you and loves you. It’s a very brave thing to do and you should be proud of her :heart:

2 Likes

Love your kid more than you love your religion. Sorry, but this shouldn’t even be a question… children deserve to be loved by their parents unconditionally, even if their sexual orientation doesn’t fit into your religion.

17 Likes

My pastor told me when my bi sibling asked me to officiate his wedding that The Lord wants us to love one another. Period. It’s not our job to worry about someone else’s sin if we want to make the Lord happy and honor our love for him we must love others no matter what and that means supporting your daughter and loving her Bc Bi or not God loves you’re daughter and always will.

5 Likes

I don’t have any advise but just wanted to say how amazing you are as a mother. You are doing an amazing job.:heart:

2 Likes

Christ is about love. Love your daughter, hold her and let her know that you are there for her. Just be her mom, she is still your daughter, your baby and nothing will ever change that.

3 Likes

She is your child. You don’t have to love what she does or doesn’t do. You just love her.

3 Likes

First off you need to make it about her, not you. My brother is gay and my step dad still says things like “what did I do wrong” and “maybe if I would’ve done this different you would’ve turned out different” just love and support her no matter what. Treat her exactly the same as you would if she was straight and make her feel comfortable talking to you. If you need to talk with someone about your concerns and feelings on the matter do it away from her and make sure she doesn’t over hear bc it will turn into resentment.

6 Likes

Talk to your plaster and love her and pray

Any religion that goes against loving a person for who they are is a fake man-made hateful religion…

6 Likes

God made her perfectly the way he wanted her. He has a purpose for her that we dont understand yet. That’s religion. Its love, purely unconventional love. Parents are to love and guide them. I think your doing great mom. Good luck. Dont worry about her. She is strong.

2 Likes