My daughter has been at pre-school: Thoughts?

Hello! Sorry long post! My 4.5 year old recently started preschool about two weeks ago. Four days a week, 3 hours a day. She did okay the first day, she really just wanted to play, but around mid-day, she started to understand that she had to do work as well. Day two and three she SCREAMED and cried the whole day because she couldn’t play, she wouldn’t talk to the teachers or classmates, and no one could comfort her, she just cried. Both days I had to pick her up an hour early. So she only was there for two hours and cried the whole time. Each day we brought her home, and her father and I both tried explaining to her nicely that she has to follow the rules and listen and respect the teacher. She seemed to understand and was interested in going back on Monday to have a great day. So Monday we took her, and she had an AMAZING day. She did all her work and arts and crafts and still played well with everyone. So we praised her with her favorite candy and lots of playtime at home. The next day, I got a phone call 2 hours after dropping her off, screaming and crying because she wanted to play and not do her work. Once again, we picked her up and redirected her, this time we were very firm and kept reminding her that she had to follow rules she couldn’t do what she wanted on her own time. Finally, the next day she goes to school, and not even 30 minutes later, I’m at the school to pick her up, this time with a video of what happened during the day. I watched the video from start to finish, and I can honestly say I’ve never seen her act that way, she was only supposed to trace her numbers 1-10 and she was uninterested she kept trying to run to the “playroom” instead of working on her numbers which would have only taken 10 minutes. She begins to scream and cry like someone was murdering her. There were both of her classroom teachers, all classmates, and teachers from other classes trying to calm her; nothing helped; she wouldn’t talk; she would just scream. The preschool director made it pretty clear that it’s best I do not bring her back after two weeks of no improvement, and also recommended waiting until next year to take her to kindergarten (we planned on taking her this coming August). My question is, Should I try taking her to kindergarten this year? Or should I try to wait? Homeschool? I’m at a loss because I don’t know what another way to help her understand she can’t do whatever she wants. Side note *she is very disciplined by both her father and me. (we don’t usually “whoop” her unless it’s something she knows was wrong and deliberately did anyways). She does not act out at home or around anyone else usually. So this is very new to us.

18 Likes

Maybe limit her playtime at home, try the routine off teaching her at home get her used to the idea of going to school. Good luck

2 Likes

She just might not have been ready. Lessen her playtime at home, teach her things. Make it a school environment. It will take time, it’s normal at this age.

2 Likes

My daughter didn’t do preschool for similar reasons. I took out. I think some kids aren’t designed for it. No kindergarten. Didn’t affect my daughter later on. “A” student. Honor roll. Their feelings count.

She just not ready for school yet. That’s not a bad thing. All children are different and each matures at their own rate. Since you said you could homeschool I assume keeping her home until next year isn’t a hardship. Work with her at home to get her ready for next year.

3 Likes

Start doing the same work they do with her at school, at home! If you can do your best to work with their schedule while shes at home it will help at school. I would also suggest if you can, not picking her up. If she screams and shows bad behavior she knows mom will be there to pick her up and she wont have to do what school is asking her to do. My middle child cried the 1st 2 weeks of headstart and my last one hated it for a month but as they learn the routine it gets better.

Try to volunteer in the classroom with everyone. Let her see you smile & be okay with interacting & it may change her behavior. Although when I did this with my daughter I decided that classroom was not fit for her. We switched schools & she did amazing:-)

Sounds like seperation anxiety. Sometime kids just are not ready and she sounds just like that. It may be by the time kindergarten starts she may be ready. If not wait till she is 6. One year can make a big difference

2 Likes

I would make her “earn” play time. Playtime should be rewarded for hard work. Personally, I would have my child complete tasks (numbers, arts & crafts, school work, ect…) to earn play time. Also, it seems she may be new to social interactions with people (Teachers & other children) So, I would also work on her with this as well. I would slowly integrate her with a small transition. It seems that she did not adapt to the “big” change as well as you would have liked. I think that if you do a slow transition, show love & support, & encourage the new changes as a positive substitute for play time… then she might have a better time adapting.

Maybe get her on a routine at home. Work on “school stuff” no play time during that time. Unless you see great improvement before August, holding her back might be a better choice

2 Likes

Sounds like time to go home woop that behind and make her finish tracing her numbers. Every. Single. Time. And after explaine that this behavior will not be tolerated . Every. Single. Time.

19 Likes

Sounds to me likes she’s just been completely overwhelmed… Whooping as you put it won’t solve a darn thing. Listen to her

8 Likes

Possibly take her for counseling. They may be able to figure it ou soponer than you.

4 Likes

She’s spoiled! She shouldn’t have got a prize for 1 decent day when she had all the bad days, she is not entitled to do as she pleases, set boundaries and make rules for her. I swear parents know nothing about rules, respect, and discipline these days!

24 Likes

Sounds like separation anxiety. Can you ask the school if you can stay for an hour until she settles for about 1 week? Talk to her daily about the activities in school and tell her that when you leave you will always come back. I’m surprised at the reaction of the school admin because they should be trained to deal with this type of reaction… just saying. No whooping. Not going to solve anything. It’s a trust issue. Also, there is such a thing called “planned ignoring”. When she throws her tantrums they should not reward it with attention once she is safe. Soon she would realise that that behavior brings no rewards. Best of luck.

4 Likes

Sounds like she isn’t ready for school. I would give her a year and introduce her to “homework” at home. You could get her some workbooks for her to start practicing in and doing everyday so she gets the routine down. Then send her to preschool next year so she can adjust properly. You don’t want to push her and make her introduction to school a traumatic one.

Try a different pre school that helped when my son did that

Seems to me she knows if she throws a fit she gets to come home …Stop going and getting her make her stay…give her incentives on wanting to stay she’ll be ok I promise

13 Likes

U said she was ok on the Monday but the Tuesday she acted out. Perhaps try Monday-wednesday-friday. That gives her the day in between to settle and destress as this is a big thing for her. On the days she has off try to follow the kindys routine with the learning.

6 Likes

What. The. Fu…???

The kid gets REWARDED for doing what she is supposed to be doing anyway? Gosh honey, you can breathe! Good girl, lets go get you a pizza!

This kid is spoiled. Period. She has been the center of attention and had her ass kissed since she was born. Mommy does the hard stuff for her so she can play. Doesn’t get her way? Start whining. Still not getting her way? Turn up the volume to 11 and rip the knob off.

The payoff for her? She gets to stay home and play while Bulldozer Mom does her heavy lifting. And buys her ice cream.

99% percent of the rest of you are raising kids who will never, ever, grow up happy and go out on their own. That should scare you.

13 Likes

Will she sit down with YOU & do schoolwork? I would try by elimination to see what could be the issue, by seeing if she is actually capable of sitting that long & doing schoolwork before I would look into psychological reasons such as separation anxiety.

1 Like

She is playing you. Make her trace those numbers twice when she gets home. No rewards for good behavior. Consequences for bad behavior.

11 Likes

Listen to her!!! She has a right not to like it. Maybe it’s the wrong fit for her. They are little people with BIG emotions. It’s our job to gently guide and love them. If my grandson (or my son) exhibited that behavior, he’d be home asap.

Teaching her some basic responsibilities like helping put away her clothes can be a fun job, or helping to clean up a bit. More responsibility would help her learn to listen and find that it can be fun too. Putting her on a more time schedule to get her used to the school schedule will definitely help.

1 Like

She has separation anxiety and she’s probably just not ready for it but if you let her quit she’ll think she can quit kindergarten if she doesn’t just sit down in the kindergarten chair and wave at you by you my should take her to counseling or doctor I’d hate to see her put on medicine you might just need to be stricter I know she’s your baby good luck both of you young ladies

Change of routine is hard on little ones.

Some children are that but you have to be stern. If you don’t then it will only get worse.

1 Like

She is overwhelmed. You have to be consistent. If you stop now, she might think that she has won. Be firm and consistent, raise your voice if you may. Teach them how to abide by rules and regulations from a tender age. She must listen to you! You are her mum.

1 Like

You need to wait. She is not ready. Try a different preschool. She has to learn she is going to sit down and work on things a teacher is going to tell her do. She will not be allowed to act that way in school. You have to stick with a schedule and it will help once she starts school.

1 Like

She’s 4.5 years old! Kinder is not a good option if she can’t do preschool as there is more work in kinder. I’d try pre-K in august and spend time working on her with work then play mentality. Sounds like my younger kid. She’s just not mature enough yet.

Maybe a different pre school that will work you v excusing her so quickly. I understand that it is disruptive to other kids but maybe not picking her up early and let her cry it out. A day care that has preschool may be better able to help u. Good luck!

3 Likes

It sounds lime they are not willing to work woth her whether she jas tantrums or not.It is all new to her & it takes time to adjust.Remind her & drill her in head that all tbose things she is doing is to prepare her for school.Start playing school with her at home.You picking her up everytime it happens isn’t good either cause it’s showing that if she keeps doing it she knows that you will come get her & when she does start kindergarten you can’t be doing it.You need to find her a different preschool program that is willing to help you & her out when she does things like that.To me,it seems like wherever you jave her now doesn’t know how to handle something like that or they don’t want to help out.It is okay for a child to do stuff like that at first when it is all new to them.Children that young don’t know how to control their emotions or not sure what to do.You guys also have to work with her to

2 Likes

To me is clearly no ready.bring her only once q week and maje her clear she is only once a week.you will need a calendar and clock because at that age they are not clear about time yet. And obviously kinder next year.
She also need more rules and less of do what sje want when she want to conduct herself on society.

1 Like

You should have never picked her up. They should have patience. Picking her up has led her to the point that screaming she will get to go home, and hence get her way. It was a mistake from the door. Next year you will face the same thing. My son did this to me, our first year was horrible. This is why kids NEED PreK. Do you know if you pull her now what the next mandatory year of your life will be like? Are you paying for this pre-school (Private or Public education is my question)

Put your foot down if you don’t she will keep it going all through school

2 Likes

Is there any mommy n me play groups? We had some n moms were in room windows next to kids playrooms eye contact it was great, then I brought to Sunday school sometimes play time mostly for that age, sure hope the anxiety gets better !!!

Try another preschool.
Ours had us keep going no matter what and they always handled it.
My son had a hard time for quite a while. They never got nasty about it or said to come get him.

They work with him.
After just a little while I’m surprised they aren’t more accommodating.

Though I will say for those of us with kids the same age at preschool, those that started coming at that late of an age is very very upsetting to the rest who have moved passed that stage.
I started mine when he was 3 and I swear the whole room was in tears every morning and crazy every afternoon.
Now in the older class only the kids that recently started preschool have the issue.
Makes a stressful morning for the rest of the room.

Still they work with those children and they don’t send them home.

Find a better fit for your daughter.

She needs another year at home with part time all day daycare, maybe 3 days a week. Don’t do this to the whole Kindergarten class and teacher by putting her in early. It benefits no one including her. She needs more structure and exposure outside the home. Maybe try to find another pre school that could handle her better than what the old school did. You may want to spend a few days at the pre school overseeing and supporting everything the teachers are doing if they will let you. Your daughter obviously became well aware that screaming all day would get her out of pre school.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t have picked her up early. And how do you decide when to send her to kindergarten? Our schools are mandated by birthday. Either you make the cut off or you dont.

She is 3 yrs old. All she should be doing is playing and not doing work.

3 Likes

One of my children did this because they realized if they behaved that way they got to go home. Once calm they got to go back to their regular routine. I requested permission to sit in the class or sit with my kiddo and they couldn’t go home until the other children did. Four days of this and my kiddo realized if they did like the other kids it would be more fun.

She’s spoiled! You don’t give her candy and let her what she wants just because she behaved good for one day at school. I remember my little brother didn’t like kindergarten. He use to walk right back home since we lived around the corner. My mother decided to volunteer in his class room until he got over it. It’s most likely separation issues.

Nothing wrong with waiting until Kindergarten. My daughter wasn’t ready for pre-k. She wouldn’t speak to anyone she didn’t know & still threw tantrums when she wouldn’t get her way. I even dreaded taking this child to the doctor bcuz she would scream for no real reason & wanted no one touching her. We worked with her at home for a while & before summer, I could see a positive change in her & the way she viewed people so I knew she was ready! Took her in for her check up before school enrollment & that was the first time she didn’t cry at all! She’s the youngest in her class & one of the brightest students. Be patient & firm.

Did she not trace her numbers because she has a eye problem ? Have her tested
I would also look at her seeing a child psychologist because children love to mix and be seen to be smart… If you can get a copy of the video showing the psychologist your problem it would help.
I do not believe your child is spoilt but has a big problem that needs professional help.

LoL, my son went through this, he’s 3, first day was great, until he realized I left him there alone, he was not trying to go back…the next couple months he’d scream and fight, thank GOD his teachers were very comforting… not only to him, but me, they said he’ll get over it, it took about 3 months, every day was a struggle, but I didn’t give in, and i don’t think they would have let me, I’m so thankful for the structure they’ve brought, he goes in, Sits with his friends, he’s learned his abcs all the shapes and colors, I love hearing him sing the songs he learns at school, he cleans up his toys, if I would have just went to get him every time he cried, we wouldn’t be where we are today, and I’d have a spoiled little brat… stick it out, tell them they need more patience, don’t give up!! If you do, she’ll know she’s in control!

I was thinking about play school with her. At home and maybe show her how her behavior is not acceptable. By you mimicking her actions at school. Crying and screaming. And show her the video you mentioned maybe. See west she does.

See what she does. Or thinks of it

It actually scares me that someone is looking for support and the amount of judgmental, condescending and nasty comments she is receiving. We all have a way of doing things and we don’t know any different hence if we ask for help and are open to an alternative perspective or opinion we shouldn’t be berated for being open and asking for help. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Kudos to those offering suggestions without judgement and negativity.

4 Likes

Discipline at home is one thing, but structure is a whole different ballgame.

1 Like

Show her the video. Discuss her behavior. She’s old enough to understand.

1 Like

She’s a spoiled brat who knows exactly what she’s doing. I wouldn’t have rewarded her at all for a single good day. Are you freaking kidding me?! Pick her up, take her home, whoop her butt, and she can go to bed early. Get her up the next day and tell her before getting to school she WILL do her work and if she pulls the screaming crap again she’s getting whooped, a toy thrown in the trash, and going to bed early. No treats until a solid 2 weeks to a month of good days (within reason) are completed. And stick with it. And after day 2 shut your phone off and don’t pick her up till the day is over.

2 Likes

Too Young. Wait a year. All you’ll do is traumatize her.

2 Likes

My guess is she just isn’t mature enough yet. Maybe be more strict with her at home? Ex: only 1 warning before consequences, make her do as she is told the first time, no reminders. None of my kids respond to the same way to anything so again…just a guess

Here in Tucson AZ they don’t have to go to school until they are year’s old that is first grade

Why are you making her go she’s going to hate school if you force her to go

A good ass whoopin will fix that

1 Like

Defo make her do woek at home and very limited play time to get her used to if… Take away things she likes… Its good you took thr nice approach first but that doesn’t always work as you have seen. Make sure she does homework at home

1 Like

You haven’t taught her boundaries. She might appear well behaved at home ? But you might have just let her get what she wants. Take her toys away and mame her earn them back.
As a parent we have to say what we mean and mean what we say follow through with punishment… if you dont get her to confirm to rules now your life will be hell…
She has to learn societies expectations. If you home school her ?how is she going to learn the rules?
Start from scratch. And the hard fast way is the best. Dont tell her she is good if she has acted up all week and then had one good spell. Tell her she is learning, but there must be no rewards from the preschool.
If she screams they need to put her out in the hall… and Ask the Nanny off tv to help.

Good grief she is only 4 yrs old , maybe too much expectation for her to handle . Look up how children learn through play in Finland . I think she is a very individual smart little one and doesn’t like or can’t handle the pressure of turning into a little soldier.

You don’t want her behind other kids her age, so work on it now at home and give her twice the stuff to do so she looks forward to going to pre-k. Bailing her out isn’t doing any good, she needs to socialize and behave in school, you come and get her when she acts up, tells her the wrong message. Nip it in the bud now or you will be home schooling this child.

1 Like

That child is just not ready for the routine of school. She needs another year to mature. I would keep her home and work on doing “work” on a schedule to prepare her. Each child has their own rate of growth. And should never fear school

Stop letting her win.She has to go to principle and explain her behavior and apologize.Stop letting her boss you now!

1 Like

Lord as I think back on my children…never did I have an episode as you described my heart goes out to you and the struggle for you is real…my children are adults now and I was impatient and advised them vigorously that I was not the one…and I have seen these types of youngsters back in the day those were one my parents would say don’t touch anything and stay by my side knowing just knowing drama would result… lastly no child I ever known died of crying…let her cry til she falls asleep as punishment, to me it would be best to remind her that when she doesn’t follow directions or acts out ie crying, screaming and just acting out, there are consequences such as crying with no coddling or compromising…just saying better to address the behavior now then trying at 13…good luck!

get tested for ASD or SPD slowly introduce classroom environment with a day care instead of working school

1 Like

Some of these comments :angry::rage::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Maybe your child would benefit from a different type of education. Not the traditional type. Look into Montessori and other types of private schools. To me it sounds like the work. Sitting and doing seat work. She shouldn’t be doing that type of stuff at preschool really. My thought is look into another type of preschool.

I mean…do you think with her acting this way its a good idea to put her in next year?

1 Like

Are there any Montessori schools nearby? Traditional preschool may not be ideal for this child due to the structure of everybody has to do certain things. Also, a director that gives up on a child new to setting after two weeks is not ideal. Not even 3 hrs a day 4 days a week for 2 weeks is not enough time for that child to adjust.

6 Likes

Maybe you need to keep her out of school for the year and take this time to work with her on the stuff she doesn’t want to do at school. Maybe with you working with her at home next year might work out better.

She needs to go to preschool and stay. I’m not sure why they kept calling you. I get that she was upset, but it’s not going to improve bc at this point she knows that every time she behaves that way, you will come get her. So she continues the behavior bc she’s getting what she wants. I know it’s hard, I work in childcare at a preschool. But that’s the only way it’s going to get better, is if you work through it. If she can’t even make it through 3 hours at a preschool, she’s not going to be able to make it through a full day of kindergarten, which is the point of preschool- to prepare her for next year. Maybe that particular preschool wasn’t a good fit, you need to find one that will work with her (and you) to get her to stay and enjoy the day.

46 Likes

Maybe involve her in other programs or play groups, if possible? Or take her to a daycare for a few hours a week, if you can. It may be a good idea to wait to enter her into kindergarten, but August is quite a time away and she may be much better by then. You could even try a few days/weeks and if she doesn’t do well, withdraw and try pre-school again. Perhaps structured activities at home would help? (If not already doing them.) For example; work on letters for 5 minutes, play 5 minutes, etc., working your way up to 10/15 minutes of work.

I’d wait. The teachers know what they’re talking about, and she doesn’t sound ready at all. Try practising a more school like environment at home for a few hours each day and see how she goes. My daughter’s junior primary mostly learns through play, so they only do a very small amount of actual book work each day.

2 Likes

Try a diffrent program with younger kids 2 days a week… it will be a little less structured she will be with 3 yr olds… I’m a prek teacher and she isnt ready. Or just a play group.

1 Like

When is her birthday. If she is a younger child I’d wait. I taught K and they are shoving more academics down to lower grades. The kids aren’t ready. Play IS learning. Look for another school that is less paper and pencil.

1 Like

Keep her in. I feel like she is doing this because she wants to come home and knows this will work

1 Like

I understand where the teachers are coming from but it takes time for kids to adjust to a school setting & they should understand that she’s repeating this behavior so that she can go home instead of being left alone to calm down & be made to stay at school. Do not just put her in kindergarten especially if she isn’t ready for it, which it sounds like she isn’t.

She’s 4.5 and this is preschool. Preschool is there to prep them for kindergarten. If it were me, I’d find a different preschool that isn’t so quick to turn her away. Every kid goes through the separation and every kid starts off thinking it’s all playtime. If she knows you’re going to pick her up when she throws a tantrum, she’s going to keep throwing tantrums. I’d say give her a week of consistent full 3 hour days. Maybe on the first day, you sit in and help keep her on task?

7 Likes

Sounds like she is in the window for socialization. Try a Montessori, Waldorf or play based preschool. She will not be ready for academics until her socio emotional needs are met.

1 Like

They need to quit calling you and handle it. She’s figured out that she can scream and cry and that she gets to go home because of it.

17 Likes

Move her to a different preschool! Any director that gives up on a child that easily doesn’t deserve to be there! I would be asking them for a copy of the video and then after you get it ask them why they took and video of your child without your permission , they should be ashamed of themselves!

6 Likes

Has she ever been away from you? She doesn’t behave this way with you but is with someone else. Even if nothing happened -to me I wonder if she is feeling safe. And it simply could be not feeling the same connection with her teachers as she does with you. Maybe she needs a system where she gradually is away from you instead of abruptly the full 3 hours. I would try doing the work with her at home and see if she fights you about it too or if that really is the issue. It could be something else- simply as a child didn’t share and when it was work time she saw opportunity for the toy she wanted. I’ve taught preschool before- any teacher should have tried to understand and reward her for doing her work. We only called home for hurting other students, a teacher or oneself.

1 Like

To start off, don’t stress it. Second, I am a teacher. I’m currently in a 2/3yr old room. I have five kids of my own. That is not to sound like I know it but to show that I have definitely seen my share of behavior. The center I work for dosent have parents pick their kids up for this type of behavior because it is essentially rewarding the child. Adjustment can take weeks for some kids and the best thing to do is be consistent. I would try to find another pre school program and see if they will be more willing to work with her and you. There are several things a school/teacher can do for a child that is slow adjust aside from trying to calm them down. Redirection at the school is a huge part. Taking her into another room until she is calm enough to talk to is an option. I have experienced children with behavior very similar to this. It just takes time. You could start doing age appropriate work books with her at home and always reward her with play time afterwards. Start making the pre school setting and tasks feel more normal for her. Just remember that all kids are different and that doesn’t mean it’s wrong!

8 Likes

My 3yr old is in pre pre school for speech therapy. And they do a day of it. With other kids her age. A mom told me her child was kicked out of 3 other preschools for screaming and crying. So i know this does happen alot. Teachers can only handle so much of the child before the other children dont learn. You need to think of all of the kids. If both teachers are helping her. Who is watching the others.

3 Likes

Find a new school. I teach preK, a DIRECTOR who says a child shouldn’t come back after a rocky start has no business being in charge of littles. PreK should be primarily play based. Sitting for long stretches is not age appropriate. They need to move and do things, not copy on worksheets. The program I work for actually doesn’t allow worksheets, as they are not age appropriate. Circle time should be 5-7 minutes. There should be lots of movement breaks, and the day should be primarily play.

5 Likes

U need to keep her home for the year but u work with her everyday tell she knows its what she has to do

1 Like

She isn’t ready…
Try a class that is 2 hours a day maybe 3 days a week…like Mon, Wed, Fri. That way not so much at once…
Is this first time away from you??
I saw one child in kindergarten that had never been away from her family so for her it was overwhelming…

1 Like

My daughter tried to do this I left her. Of course she’s gunna throw a fit because she knows if she does you will come get her and take her home and that’s what she wants. I left my daughter it took her 2 weeks to adjust to then she was fine

I mean its friggen pre-school how hard is it to let her just play for a few days until she feels comfortable and then ease her into it! If this were my child i would be having some words privately with that director who clearly needs a new job🙄

1 Like

I would send her she needs to get used to it and is already kinda old to just be starting…maybe volunteer in the class room till shes more comfortable

That’s weird. Anytime a kid flips out, the teachers would remove the parents and deal with it themselves. My daughter threw a tantrum her second day of preschool at age 3 and she was on the ground outside of the school going berserk. Her teacher basically made my husband and I leave. They picked her up and brought her inside. Same thing on the 3rd day. And that was the end of it. She was fine from then on. On her first day of dance school (also age 3), she spent the entire time crying. Her dance teacher also told us to leave but we could watch her on the monitor in the office. She cried and cried and the assistants were trying to comfort her. Finally, she calmed down and participated the last 10 mins of class. She was good after that. All of her teachers from Early Intervention and afterwards told us it’s best not to have the parent there so calling a parent in is counterproductive. Probably best to find a different school.

Maybe take a week off, and ask for their schedule. Do everything they do. All the work. No tv at all…no electronice at all. She needs to get used to it. She knows if she freaks out, she gets to go home. She isnt a toddler…shes almost 5. She knows what shes doing.
Ask for the schedule and take 1 week off and do that exact schedule every…single…day. tell her she will be going back after the week and if she acts up she will come home and be in big trouble. She knows what shes doing. Kids are slick. Lol.
Good luck.

4 Likes

Don’t pick her up! How is she going to adjust to kindergarten? She knows if she cries she will go home. Idk why they would be so quick to call u to get her…

3 Likes

Stop picking her up. Her teachers know how to deal with kids, let them do their job.

3 Likes

That’s my kid. She’s ADHD, and totally self motivated, and excellent at manipulating people to get her way. Not saying that’s your kid too.
…Then again, she did get out of doing the work, so… :smirk:
Smart kid. Dumb school. Someone else suggested Montessori. Not a bad idea…

2 Likes

The first thing i would do is speak to her doctor about a referral for evaluation. There are several issues that can cause this kind of behavior, identifying them is a major component to helping her do better.
In the meantime, set up structure at home. Like they would in school. Have her do work THEN play. Play groups and play dates may help as well.

1 Like

I would say try a different daycare. Maybe a more hands on playbased learning. On a different note I agree with alot of the other comments on here the daycare calling you each time she has a meltdown is just teaching her that when she acts out she get picked up and taken home. Not all daycares are the right fit for all kids.

1 Like

Give her time that’s a big change for her

1 Like

Only screaming? Now, before anyone degrades that remark…I teach Pre-k ages 3-5 and I understand very well the process and procedures… and typically, you don’t send a child home unless there is something that makes them a danger to themselves and others around them. Throwing things, biting, hitting, punching, running out of the classroom, ect… and there is a written up process that we have to do as well where I live… so that’s why I’m asking, only screaming? Because if that was it, then I’d have a plan with the director of some kind of strategy first, like a calming technique, or I’ve even had to do 5 min intervals with some kids. So they’d work for 5 min at a time with a timer, and eventually the timer was no longer needed. I would ask for an action plan, because just sending her home is not one and I would think that would be something they have to do… but maybe not everywhere does. Good luck!!

5 Likes

Find a new preschool!!! I am a 22 year veteran teacher of 4 years old at a private preschool in MA and a quick few thoughts…

1. Work? At this age they learn through play.
    While I don’t know the school’s philosophy…it doesn’t seem seem age appropriate to me.

2. sending children home for bad behavior is never acceptable. It is their responsibility to support the child where they are and foster where they need to be.

3. PLEASE do not send your child to kindergarten without a preschool experience. They need the socialization and the school environment before the expectations of kindergarten are placed upon them.

4. At this age the focus should not be on academics!!! They need socialization and the emotional growth. How do we be in a group…how do we share…how do we talk to each other…and yes, how do we follow directions. How do we give voice to and learn to dra with their emotions.

Bottom line…find a new preschool.

8 Likes

Well. She knows now if she screams long enough she’ll get to go home. Eventually she’ll run out of air. SHE HAS TO STAY. Even if she screams and Cries.

3 Likes