My daughter has expressed that she likeds girls: Advice?

Do you love her any less? Odds are you don’t. There is nothing wrong with her. Let her be who & what she wants to be… Loved + supposed = happy!

She 6, calm down and let her be. Worry bout this when she 16.

It’s not something to worry about. She’s letting you know early on that she likes what she likes and you shouldn’t try to change that.

If I may… I had the same scenario with my daughter at a young age. She’s 14 gonna be 15 soon. I kept telling her that one day she will KNOW who/what she likes, but for now(6) just be a kid and do kid things and don’t worry about liking any specific gender or person. We fought this. She tried to commit suicide because she confided in her “friends” that were not friends. But after many counseling sessions and the love at home… she’s gonna be 15 and has a boyfriend. It comes in time. Just be there for your little girl and love her like any parent would. It will cone with time and age! :two_hearts::two_hearts::two_hearts:. Much love because I truly KNOW it’s a hard road traveled!

Don’t crush her spirit by telling her she can’t be who she wants to be. My husband bought my son a Mermaid Barbie. He was a big, bad, tough guy from the Bronx…kindest act ever. We always wanted him to know he was loved no matter what toys he wanted to play with…he turned out to be a warm, kind and beautiful man with in a great relationship with a young women who is the same. They welcome all people into their lives. I feel giving our son freedom and support to be himself allowed him to find himself and move forward with an accepting open heart to all…amazing a Mermaid Barbie could do all that!

Too young to have sexual preferences I think . Tom boys are a thing that doesnt mean she’ll be sexually attracted to girls .

1 Like

Kids don’t really know the difference at that age and shouldn’t. This society needs to stop pushing sexuality on children. If a girl likes “boy” toys or vice versa they must be transgender or homosexual. NO. They’re kids!!!

2 Likes

Let her be a kid shes 6 she doesnt know what she wants in life at 6. Just keep letting her do whatever feels right for her and as an adult she can make those decisions

I mean she’s 6 why is it important right now? If she was 16 then I’d be more understanding of not knowing what to do. She’s 6 maybe it’ll stick but I don’t think it’s a big deal. As a little girl she’ll go through stages she doesn’t really understand crushes and boy friend or girl friend unless you tell her.

She’s a child that likes boys toys . It doesn’t necessarily mean she likes girls she probably just a tomboy. I’ve known girls the same way and none are gay only a tomboy.

Dont try to change her. She is 6. She doesnt really understand it all yet. Most 6 year olds dont like the other gender. Girls like girls and boys like boys. Just sit and watch recess. I dont think its anything to change. If u try to change her she may not come to u when she is older and its more important. Let her be and let her keep confiding in u

1 Like

Don’t worry I grew up w two brothers and played w cars, army. And my barbies were naked in a box. And you don’t have to worry about her becoming prego at 13. It could be a faze

My daughter is 6 also, and she loves everyone. She says her best friend at school, girl her age, tries to kiss her at recess. She holds hands with anyone if they need a hand. She is very friendly so it always comes out 'I love this person or that person or those people". She is super smart for her age and a lot of her classmates will ask her for help. I am not worried at this point about gender roles or sexual preference. Little kids can be very loving to those that are nice to them. Just hope she stays that way!

Let her be … you don’t want her to feel less of and take her life like most teen do because they are not accepted by they love ones .

Tom Boy is what we were called, I hung out with boys, played with the boys and even beat the boys up …married a man and loved dressing up on occasion, but I’m still a girl who likes to get dirty at times, even now. It is who she is…love her and she can dress up on occasion. She will be who she is, don’t push too hard, just love her. You’ll understand the value of your relationship once she’s grown, keep it, don’t lose it. Tom Boys vary in their behavior, let her be, next year she could start the Barbie craze and wanting everything Barbie, kids go through phases, when the little one comes I’m sure that will one also. Don’t judge just love her.

Let her be herself. She’s going to go through many changes as she gets older. But if she likes girls? So what. Does that change who she is? No. She’s your child, her happiness should be your priority.

You can not change her. Does seem young to even be thinking in those terms.

It sounds like she is confident in who she is and likes, and it sounds like you need to come to terms with the fact that you like girls.

1 Like

Gender and sexuality is fluid and you show in your story. He may like girls now and may not later. And “like” to a child can mean something incomprehensible to an adult and not necessarily romantic. Just love your kiddo as they are and give her support. There’s nothing more for you to do than that. That’s everything they’ll need.

Sounds like you need to do some actual parenting and possibly get her some therapy. One because it’s not normal to have feelings for the same sex and two (and more to the actual point here) it’s not normal for a 6 year old child to know about or have adult feelings for other people that way. Is she being abused? How does she even know anything about those kinds of things? Wow. She is a CHILD. She’s is NOT old enough to be thinking about sexual preference or to have or experience sexual preference. Period. Maybe she likes her as a friend and you’re taking it wrong. If not, then something is majorly effed up.

1 Like

Love you kid with all your heart, let her know love is love(yes, i know) let her know You love her always. Its not a choice, ,and lastly do you want to lose your child because you want to “change” her and destroy who She is .or cherish the person you brought into this world. To make it a better place

2 Likes

She is 6 years old. Momma try not to worry. She likes what she likes. Truth be told no matter her decision later on life she is still your child and the love for your child has no bounds. !

At 6 years of age she doesn’t know what she is or isn’t sexually attracted to. And playing with ‘male inspired’ toys doesn’t imply anything either.

Having crushes on girls is totally natural too, especially with girls. Holding hands even kisses is a normal expression of love for all humans, male and female.

The things your child is doing at the moment make her happy, spikes her endorphins, it’s totally natural.

I’d let her be, children’s tastes and preferences change as they grow. (Think of things you didn’t like as a child, but now love and enjoy as an adult).

At 6 years of age… Anything can happen and change in the coming years. And she’s at the curious age and just exploring and finding her way in life.

Trying to change a person or kid only shows them they can’t trust you. At such a young age she may change her mind as she grows up, maybe not. Doesn’t matter. Focus on her being a kid and growing up happy, healthy, and loved. If she says she has a crush on someone, you could ask questions like, are they a good person? Do they treat you and other people nicely? Basic cover all questions that teach her how to choose good friends to hang around. Doesn’t have to have anything to do with dating (because she’s too young for that).

1 Like

When I was young I used to like boys toys also. I also like girls I acted like a tom boy people also thought I was one but I was not. Let her be what she want this could just be a phase in her life like you she’ll get over it. She’s too young for you to know. If ever she choses to become one then that’s up to her. Anyways it is accepted in our society whatever sex preference she wanted to have.

Girls like boy things and boys like girl things at that age they are just discovering what kind of things girls and boys play with. It’s normal and way to young to even know yet. Let her be little don’t try to make her who you think you were when you were younger.

Do what you feel is right, but just from experience, yes it could definitely be a phase, but then again maybe not. I definitely think they can know at that age. But if she does like girls it doesn’t change the heart and if she feels judged or enacted by you she will turn away and not trust you and also it can really mess with their head even years later down the road. If you love her unconditionally it shouldn’t matter. It has never mattered to me about anyone’s sexuality, I believe everyone deserves love. Best of luck

I promise you I was the biggest Tom boy ever! While the other girls were doing their nails and having sleep overs, I was riding my bike with the boys to the old drainage system to catch tad poles. 🤷 And I’m married and have 3 kiddos now.

I have never commented on one of these. I feel that she should do what she wants. She’s a child trying to figure out life. Let her like a girl, she will probably have a change of opinion later in life. If she doesn’t, then still love her. I have a step daughter that has not come out yet, but the signs are there. I still love her and still treat her the same. It’s her life, not yours.

1 Like

As a young girl, she doesn’t understand sexuality yet. Don’t sexualize what she says. Six-year-olds are just babies; you are looking at this through an adult lens. Emphasizing that it’s great she has friends that are both boys and girls will allow her to blossom in her own time.

49 Likes

Don’t change her. Key is to let her express herself. Just support her in all she does. Support her decisions, no matter what they are. Let her know that no matter what you will always love her.

10 Likes

Little girls hold hands it’s what they see ever see frozen with the sisters. My daughter is going tobe 3 and will grab another girls hand togo play with blocks or puzzles. She does it as a kind gesture. Your thinking to hard on this they have no idea what theybare thinking. And for the record my daughter has a bigger hotwheel collection then her brothers. She also has several doll babies and is great about setting them up to watch the cara race.

Shes just a little kid let her be.

3 Likes

Just let her be a KID. She’ll find herself later. Right now, just worry about loving her and you and your husband providing a good example of what romantic love really is so she’ll have that to go on no matter who she loves.

8 Likes

she’s a kid. I knew a girl once when I was younger, about 6 through 12 yrs old, she acted like a boy, dressed like a boy, tried to get people to call get a boy name and liked girls and didn’t like boys at all. Fast forward, to age 16 and up, she has ling hair, wore dresses all the time and likes boys.
it’s common and no big deal, I wouldn’t turn it into an issue, she’s still a baby, let her worry and make decision when she’s older.

9 Likes

I agree. There isn’t anything wrong if she does, but at the age of six she has a lot of growing and maturing to do and her body will go through a lot of changes. No one can really predict at that young of age how she will feel when she is older. I also agree that you should emphasize that it’s great to have friends who are girls and boys. She will then have a chance to develop friendships with both.

7 Likes

When I was her age I wanted to be a boy, I loved boy toys, trucks, collecting bugs and and playing army, kickball, baseball and football. I’ve never examined why. Around 10 I felt differently. Started wearing dresses all the time and playing Barbies. I am 57, been married for 37 years to the same man, had 2 kids. Believe in your child, love your child, listen to her, she will figure it out. You’re doing great so far​:heart::heart::heart::slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Mine is doing the same thing. My only issue is that she is so young. Enjoy being little. “Liking” someone and relationships are for adults. I tell her she can worry about that stuff when she gets older. Just enjoy the sunshine and her friends for now.

7 Likes

It sounds to me like you encourage her behavior. I have a 6 year old girl myself and my daughter has never mentioned anything about crushes. Why is that word in your daughters vocabulary at 6 years of age.

2 Likes

Last week I got a call from the school my 13 year old daughter got caught kissing a girl in the bathroom a few months ago she did say she might like girls but I know she also likes boys she loves attention so not sure what this is I’m just trying to be supportive

My six year old daughter hates boys. I did too at 6. I was a tomboy. Today I’m happily married to the man of my dreams. She’s six. She shouldn’t have crushes or boyfriends or girlfriends yet. Don’t encourage sexuality or boyfriends and girlfriends in a child. Just let her be little.

11 Likes

i think she’s still too young for u to be using so much of your time worrying about it. she’s only 6… she most likely will wake up in a month a week a day and like all new things. i wouldn’t try to but a label on her just yet. like u said above just keep letting her do what interests her

4 Likes

My 5 year old son would rather play with girls over boys, still loves boy toys and if you are a blond girl, teen, or woman then he he blushes if you look at him. He loves rainbows and girly shows. They are kids, they have imagination. The only reason these babies are saying and doing these things IMO is bc they see what others say and do in school, on tv, in society. Let kids be kids.

5 Likes

Shes just a kid look how you turned out I wouldn’t put any emphasis on what she likes or doesnt like she us just exploring the world ahead of her she will be just fine

1 Like

Maybe it’s a phase. A lot of kids go through phases like that, if not. Love and support her anyway❤️

6 year olds are not making life long decisions yet. No advice needed other than letting her be a 6 year old. She may change her mind in a few years, or not. Either way dont make a deal out of it either way cause she is just a kid right now and things like sexual attraction should not be in her little head yet either way… in my opinion. Just love and laughter and not trying to decide her lifestyle as an adult.

5 Likes

She’s far too young!!! Too early to form an opinion about that! Your perception may be off based on how you felt at 10…it happens…be patient.

2 Likes

Let your daughter be who she wants and needs to be. I wouldn’t influence her either way. We love our children for who they are regardless.

4 Likes

All little girl’s like little girls. Boy don’t stop having cooties until high school.

treat her w/kindness, and love her unconditionally!

Tell her shes to young to like anyone in that way. That she just needs to be friends with girls and boys and when shes older she can decide and you will support her .

1 Like

I say just listen to her and react how you would if she’s telling you she liked a boy. Just always be supportive without being suggestive one way or the other then she will see when she’s older it’s normal to like who she likes no matter the gender and she will also feel safe and happy sharing with u.

1 Like

What are you going to do? Unlove her? Trade her in for a “unbroken” one?
She’s your kid. You’re going to accept her and be understanding Bc that’s what a parent does.

1 Like

My grandson just said last week that he has a boyfriend. My daughter said that was awesome and left it alone. At that age they don’t know.

1 Like

At 6 she doesn’t know what she is or isn’t. Let her be a kid and don’t make a big deal of it.

1 Like

Some have no choice, they are born that way. My youngest son is gay and we knew it before he did. I’ll never love him any less, EVER! She has the right to be who she is.

7 Likes

She’s 6, how does she even know what that is? I honestly think she’s to young to even make that decision. Now when she’s 14 and says she likes girls then fine . And so what if she does. But at 6? My anwser would be your 6 years old … go play…

She obviously trusts you a lot to be 6 and come to talk to you about something that big. All you can do is support her you can’t change someone

You can’t be serious… She’s 6 yrs old

7 Likes

She’s a 6 year old CHILD🤦

5 Likes

Oh I thought that meant you’re the mom of 27 kids lol

1 Like

Don’t change her, and don’t tell her anything otherwise. Let her learn to love everyone. She’s 6

1 Like

Ok so… let her be whoever she wants to be.

You guess you’re okay with it?! That is your child. That love should be noncontingent. Period.

Just love her. That’s it. It doesn’t matter.

Train up a child in the way they should go

Get ok with it …if she likes girls and you make her feel bad you wont have a daughter some day

She’s six stop feeding the bs that is destroying our youth. She’s a girl bottom line. I was a huge huge tomboy growing up. And as a 45 year old women I didnt really enjoy feminine things til my mid thirties. Let her be dont feel like you have to adress anything sexual and figure it out now. Let her be pray for her heart and let her decide when she is 18 how is going to live her life

2 Likes

Idk Why it’s such a big deal you love who you love

Pray for her, and make a lot of time to talk to her without judgement . Have other people praying for her too

She’s 6. Don’t stress over it. IF she is gay and toy don’t approve of that lifestyle, you tell her your feelings when she’s a lot older however you love her anyway. She’s your child.

Uuummmmm wtf! Speechless. Smfh
And you say you feel like you should change her maybe change your freaking outlook on your 6 yr old daughter. Ridiculous

Ummmm at that age, boys still have cooties. I was a tomboy, my girls were tomboys, and we aren’t gay. Let her be a child and chill.

Ive known since my 19 year old was 1 that he was gonna be gay or bi. I never made a big deal about it and he was comfortable in telling his parents that he is in fact bi. When he told us i said its about time that u told us. He asked y and i told him i knew since he was little. He knows he can be with whomever and we will still love him no matter what.

Well being that she’s 6, I wouldn’t put too much emphasis on it.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with being gay or lesbian, but again, she’s SIX. Heterosexual, homosexual, etc. Shouldn’t even be an issue at that age.

7 Likes

My daughter went through this too. Just love and support her. I agree with Behak, she doesn’t understand this right now. But she will understand and remember how you treat her.:heart::pray:

3 Likes

She is 6!!! She doesn’t understand sexuality right now. Of course she likes girls because boys have cooties. Holy crap, let them be kids, she’s not gay or bi or trans. Omg stop making kids grow up way before their time

2 Likes

My daughter is pansexual (her future life-long partner could be male or female or transgender). We kind of always knew. We never focused on boys (or girls) we focused on, “I want to do ballet,” “I want to play tee ball,” I want do be a Celtic dancer," I want to play the violin," the next year it was the baritone. We have supported her decisions to try out for plays and watched her go to state all 4 years of high school to compete in Forensics. She did 3 years of cheerleading and 1 year as Captain.

She is in her 2nd year of college. She’s in the Dean’s list with straight A’s. She is VP of the school’s LGBTQ+ Alliance.

She is a fantastic daughter, sister and friend. She has a great love for all humankind. I do not care who she falls in love with as long as , whoever they are, they love and respect her.

Don’t focus on what might be…focus in the here and now and helping her become a good person. And have hope for the future that she finds a wonderful person to build and life and family with. (Male or female partner my daughter does not want biological Children due to genetic issues…she wants to adopt a “rainbow” family of Children.)

She is six! Let her grow up before you start worrying about what might be. I have two gay children. I figured they were gay early on, but didn’t push one way or the other. I let them be them. Did they have some trials and tribulations, absolutely. But They are happy well adjusted children. Ok young adults 26 & 27. Always my babies. :grin:

She’s 6 and the fact you’d wanna change your daughter regardless is sickening anyway. Buck up buttercup.

As someone who did EXACTLY that and today is a heterosexual woman with a husband and 2 children please do not put a lot of stock in it, don’t make her feel bad for things, but girls go through periods where we are trying to understand ourselves, women are a lot more touchy feely with our girl friends and those feelings can get confusing, now it doesn’t mean she’s not gay and trust me if she is there is no changing her, I can’t help loving and being attracted to my male husband any more than gay people are attracted and love the same gender, I’m just saying don’t start looking too deeply into it now, I’d be loving and caring of her just the same if she’s older and says she likes girls then but for now she’s a little girl going through lots of changes in her life and she won’t be dating boys or girls for a long time

I dont think 6 year olds “like” anyone as in sexually attracted to them. Unless there is sexual abuse.
She may think “liking” someone means you are friends with feelings of attachment.
At this age, I would encourage her to be who she is, tell her about how you and daddy love each other. And tell her someday she will have someone to love and make a family with.
And if it turns out that she does like girls, love her and show love to whomever she chooses.

That’s way too young to even “like” anyone in a sexual manner. She likes girls. As in friends.

Let her express herself freely. Do not make her feel like her feelings and thoughts do not matter, even at age 6. A crush is a crush, not a relationship. Don’t sexualize a kid having a crush on the opposite gender. It’s no different than her having a crush on a boy anyway.

Oh honey please encourage her to just be happy. My eldest felt she had to hide from her father ( I live 2 hrs away) and that sweet beautiful girl is just now starting to reemerge…6 years later. She’s still a babe, there’s possibility she’ll change in her own time :hugs:

1 Like

As long as she always feels safe to tell you her secrets, just keep doing what your doing. She obviously has a close bond with you. Let her figure it all out in her own time. Xx

3 Likes

It’s better to let her be comfortable with who she is so she continues to tell you her “secrets” without feeling like she has to hide part of herself away. Allowing her to be herself will always help your relationship in the future. She may grow out of it and she may not, but either way, she feels comfortable enough to speak to you! That’s awesome.

11 Likes

Could be just a phase, but even if it’s not what’s the issue. You’ll still love her, as people grow they change their minds just like you did. One of my daughters wishes she was a boy like dad. She’s only 5 she doesn’t know the world yet and what she wants. And when she’s older if she still wants to be a boy that’s ok

1 Like

seems if u force something w children they fight more the other way. She is still young so it’s unsure. But what will be will be. And that includes your unconditional Love mama.:love_letter:

2 Likes

Changing her isN’t an option and trying to could be damaging.
If you have a healthy happy daughter you are very lucky. Support your daughter and allow her to be herself whoever that is, let her find herself. If you are struggling to accept then you need to work on yourself not your daughter.

2 Likes

Like and love are not the same thing and she is pretty young to understand the difference… I would not react to it nor encourage the crush but it’s not like she’s old enough to date​:see_no_evil::woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

I can relate somewhat . My daughter turns 6 on the 17th & i always have to tell her that girls care about their hair & want to make it look pretty because she just wants to run around never brushing her hair like my boys do. She wants to be just like my boys. Its annoying. She doesnt have sisters so thats all she knows besides what mommy does which she doesnt care .

from a 71 yr old great grandma just let her be her she will grow out of it’ you don’t need to make a big thing of it. just let her trust you and tell you her secrets quit worrying Mom

2 Likes

I’d say congratulations. Your daughter feels comfortable with your relationship to be vulnerable to you. Build on that. She’s
Got a while before she knows who she is, until then just support her in her journey. :slightly_smiling_face:

She’s 6… Leave her be. Why is this even a question about a SIX yr old?!

She’s 6 give her a break guaranteed she doesn’t understand any of it and you’re looking too much into it :roll_eyes:

Let her be herself and be happy. Support her in any life path. Having a open and honest relationship is what is important. Many haters out in this cruel world. She just needs family to love her no matter what.

Don’t make a big deal out of it… and let her be. Being curious about it all is normal. Teenage times they will be more clearer. I have 4 kids. I just love them and try to make them be more into selfcare inner and out their social. If my kid is gay!? Man did i want someone to be in my grill for being straight?! Nope and if my kid is!!! So shall be! He being tomboy and still like boys can too. For myself i like who i love… been 24 yrs with same dude 4 kids with too. I applaud women and like women but just not romantic. But I didn’t choose to be in love at 14 and be still with same dude. We traveled and have a great life…( busy yes) those damn kids😂 She trust you… that alone tells you alot

3 Likes

Stop looking too far into it. She’s probably not expressing what you’re thinking. She’s 6. When she fully understands gender roles and relationships, then you have those conversations. Leave it at that.

12 Likes

Just let her be happy. My daughter loves princesses and all things marvel and DC. Toys are toys

1 Like

All she needs right now is your love and support. Life is crazy and she just trying to figure herself out :slightly_smiling_face: