My daughter wants to get her nose pierced but her dad said no: Advice?

I have full custody of my daughter and she asked for hers when she was 12. I allowed it. Her dad didn’t say anything except “it’s her body and her right to self expression” She’s turning 16 in 4 weeks and I’m paying for her 1st tattoo in honour of her mental health battle.

1 Like

Wait till she gets older. 11 is very young for that. Also, have some respect for her father’s wishes

2 Likes

11 is a little young. I did get mine done at 14 tho but to be fair my dad took me. I’d be fuming if my partner did something with my kids I’d said no to

I’m sorry but 11 is way too young for a nose piercing :roll_eyes::woman_facepalming:t2:

4 Likes

11? get the fuck outta here

Would you allow him to do something you said outright NO to??
How would you feel?

Most children accept “because I said so”
This sounds like a YOU problem not a kiddo problem

2 Likes

Don’t go again his wishes

She is to young. I feel you are undermining the dad. You should be working together to raise your daughter and try to create some of the same form of values rules and discipline. Otherwise in the future she is going to pin you too against each other. She will be moving in and out of your houses if she don’t get her way

3 Likes

Guess I’m a bad mother by others standards…my daughter turns 14 in January and asked for her nose to be pierced as a gift. I’ve already talked to the piercer and her dad and I have no problem with it. She’s super excited and I’m happy to allow her to express herself.

2 Likes

Ps and yes… you would 100% be the bad parent

Sorry you have to over 16 for piercings. Tell her her dad said no, don’t undermine him. His daughter too

1 Like

I personally wouldnt do it if dad is that against it. When shes older she’ll be able to do it without needing permission and it wont hurt her to wait. Try reversing the roles. If you said no to something you were 100% against, but dad let her do it anyway, how would you feel about it?

5 Likes

I would wait until her 13th birthday so it’s a special milestone celebration

11 is just too young in my opinion

4 Likes

I started piercing everything myself at 12… against gaurdian approval bc i was “too young” so id say if your okay with it, go ahead. But nothing else… because the dads opinion and say does matter but i agree. Bc he dont like them is not a good enough reason.

Hell no! She’s 11! Tell her when she’s 18 she can do what she wants.

2 Likes

he can simply make her remove it or worse try to remove it himself. wait til she is 16

It’ll show her to not respect him and his wishes. It’ll also make you her friend and not her parent. I think that its petty IMO. :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

Funny thing about piercings… you can take them out. No harm no foul.

4 Likes

It’s a nose ring at 11 then pregnant at 14🤷‍♀️

5 Likes

Speak with dad and come to an agreement on an age where she is old enough to have autonomy over her body for piercings. He may not like it, but there has to be a point in which she should be old enough to have a say. Maybe high school age? In the meantime let her have a fake nose ring that she can sport and then take out while with Dad.

1 Like

Personally I think 11 is too young and as far as going against his wishes this is his child too. How would you like him to go against something you feel strongly about?

1 Like

I wasn’t allowed to even get my ears pierced until I was 18. I’m not complaining but if it was left up to my dad, they still would not be pierced!

11 year old is too young for a facial piercing. It wouldn’t be fair to go against her fathers wishes.

4 Likes

That is pretty young and Dads wishes matter. I would wait a couple years and bring it back up.

2 Likes

Who had physical custody? Or is it 50/50? Maybe wait a year or until she’s 12 because then she can tell the courts that she wants to be specifically with you. I’m afraid if she doesn’t get it done professionally then she or her friends might try and do it themselves.

i hate how rude some people are on this. no one has to agree with what you’re doing as a parent. do what YOU think is best. it’s a piercing. it closes up. i think it’s fine.

3 Likes

OMG way to young. Also it’s only half your child so you can’t make the decision on your own. Get her a fake one from WISH.com :joy::joy::joy:

Nose piercing requires good hygiene (an 11yr old may not understand) as there are two layers of cartilage to break through leaving a inside pocket that can get full of mucus and cause infection. A cold is a gross sight with nose piercing lol

And FYI piercings scar, I know I’m now 30 and have a purplish green dot/hole on my nose and side of my mouth from a lip piercing I got them at 18 by 25 I was over it :person_shrugging::person_facepalming: makeup can cover the color but the hole still shows even with concealer.

3 Likes

She’s not done growing. And you don’t know if she’s gonna be responsible enough to keep it clean. It’s hard work and its right on your face that’s not something you wanna get infected. I’d say 15-16 or until you know shes ready for that responsibility

How are you too young for body jewelry? A LOT of babies straight out of the hospital got their ears pierced there is no difference.

3 Likes

Tell her when she’s 18 and on her own she can. 11 is to young .she will regret it later

2 Likes

11 is very young and it won’t hurt for her to wait. If you go behind his back then it will come back to bite you. My daughter wanted tattoos and piercings but she had to wait till she was old enough to do it on her own and maybe you can bring it up when she is older with Dad and he could soften but waiting won’t kill her

3 Likes

To each their own. I was pretty relaxed with my daughter but I didn’t allow body piercings till after 13. 

And she will prob grow out of them… most people take them out… i had a total of like 20 piercings at one point (7 on each ear ) but now i dont wear any… and only about 10 are open. :slight_smile:

1 Like

No means no ,unless you paying all my bills.

1 Like

I think that’s too young. At least wait until 16. It’s on her face.

2 Likes

No. Don’t do it. Let her do it when she’s older. Like 18 but at the least 16. Yes you would be the bad parent

2 Likes

Yep…find a way to compromise with dad u know co-parent

I allowed my daughter to do it at 13 and had a tattoo at 16! She’s in her 20’s and doesn’t regret any of it! They have clear ones mom that she can put in while around folks that don’t care for it!! It’s your kid :grin:

1 Like

My mom made me wait until I was 16 ( my dad said no)

1 Like

Personally I think 11 is way too young. I’d tell her maybe when she is 16-18 years old.

3 Likes

Lmfao she’s 11!!! Like are you serious? And that’s HER FATHER, he has a say in it whether you like it or not

2 Likes

If you can’t both agree then leave it to when she’s old enough to decide for herself. She seems to want to emulate your piercing story (?) but the most important lesson you need to teach her, right now, is to respect her parents. From the ‘small’ issues, such as a nose piercing, to bigger things tomorrow, the stand to respect her parents wishes should be consistent, regardless of who she lives with & who is okay with whatever. If her dad is not okay with it then that is enough reason to leave it alone until she is old enough to decide for herself. She will get her cues from you so it should be a firm ‘no’ without trying to make her dad seem like the bad guy or uncool parent. She has to know that she can’t play off one parent against the other or else it comes back to haunt you.

5 Likes

Her dad is right! I wouldnt allow it either at that age smh

3 Likes

My dad was extremely against body jewelry and tattoos long story short I rebeled and got both anyway when I turned 16 :unamused::+1:

I feel like that’s too young, and it her dad is against piercings it would probably be best to respect him as her father and she will just have to wait until she’s 18

1 Like

Um yea shes 11 I’d be pissed too! People stop letting your kids grow up so fast ! Be the parent not the friend!

3 Likes

I had mine done at 13, tattoo shop. I had to pay for it, personally think 11 might be too young. Kept it in until 21 because my daughter kept headbutting my nose and lip rings. Lol . However I don’t agree with making them wait until they’re “out of your house” wtf is a nose ring going to change about your house? :roll_eyes:

1 Like

A lot of kids have tattoos at that age :woman_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

11 years old is way too young. Stop trying to get these kids to grow up faster than they already are. NO

4 Likes

I think it’s your child and not a single person on here matters…

I’m a bad mom lmao​:rofl::rofl: both my girls did theirs at a friends house… nose and lip and my 17 got her 1st tattoo at 16… I just sat and explained that a tat is forever piercing can be removed… my 14 has a tat to help her with cutting which I think is way better

That is absolutely a good enough reason to say no at 11 years old.

Most places , at least where I live, won’t even do it until the kid is 15. I personally believe 11 is way to young for that kind of piercing

3 Likes

She’s fresh out of the womb, make her wait till high school at least :woman_shrugging:t4: Also think about what he may do in rebellion for you not listening to him. Why should he listen to you either? You’ll start a downward spiral in comparenting.

2 Likes

If she’s under your roof majority of the time then I say you get majority of the say so.

1.) Waaaay too young. Any reputable places won’t do it
2.) That’s so beyond disrespectful to go behind her dad’s back like that

2 Likes

11 is Way too young for that. Ears, yeah no problem there, but face? At least wait till 16. Most places don’t allow it anyway unless she’s 16 with parent consent

1 Like

Meet him for coffee etc and have a real heart to heart about this. Here’s my take: It’s her body, she should be able to make decisions regarding it. Will a nose ring change her…no. If she has good grades and there’s other ways she shows she’s responsible and makes good decisions- then why say no? Because “he” doesn’t like it is t good enough for me either. Again just my opinion.

Personal opinion here - I don’t think an 11 year CHILD should have any piercings other than ears. 15, MAYBE && that’s a strong maybe. 16, yes. Before that, NO. Not sure in my area that you can get facial piercings even with adult consent until 16

You go behind his back you basically set a precedent that you both can do whatever you want without asking the other. Personally even though you disagree, going behind his back is disrespectful

3 Likes

I dont believe that is a good age to start getting body modifications done. I wouldnt allow my daughter until she was old enough to understand what it takes to make sure it is cleaned correctly and so on. It is hard to make sure that piercings are clean all the time. It wont hurt to wait.

He can have her take it out at his house and risk it closing… I wouldn’t do it. It’ll be a waste of money.

2 Likes

No. She’s 11, thats when she should be getting her ears pierced …

1 Like

Well my 11 year old wants her done I told her yes I dont see a problem with it because I have mine done

1 Like

11 is to young to get a piercing. She needs to wait til she’s 16. I’m with dad on this one .

4 Likes

Absolutely no way, 11 is way too young.

3 Likes

I got mine done at 14 but looking back now with a daughter of my own, there’s no way in hell… maybe at 16 but not any younger than that

1 Like

11—No! Be a parent and not a friend!

13 Likes

Way too young. Just my opinion.

5 Likes

Lol why is this event a question and the fact that you find it ok for an 11 year old… what?!? Your CHILD is 11!!! Get the damn child a Barbie!

1 Like

If he’s on the birth certificate you legally gave him the right to have a say in her life. 🤷
My daughter got her septum and lip done after she was 15 because I felt she wasn’t done growing an lacked the responsibility needed to keep it clean. Also, keloids are a real thing and right now, kids her age are all about their looks. Do the research and come to an agreement on what age would be appropriate. Pick and chose your battles

I got my cartilage done at 11, maybe she’d like that! Just a little cooler than a regular ear piercing. Might be enough to hold her over and teach her how to care for piercings before the face :grimacing::tipping_hand_woman:

1 Like

I had mine done two days before my 13th birthday, and I’m turning 18 next month. I personally see no problem with piercings (as I have 12), however some people don’t like them. Maybe when she is older.

A lot of y’all need to realize this generation is not the same as yours when you where a kid. I am now 21 had mine done at 12 years old. I say go for it I’m sure other girls have it that’s why she is asking. It is just a piercing

11 years old? Absolutely not!

4 Likes

I think 11 is too young for face piercings. I’d wait until she was at least 16. If she still wants it she could get a job pay for it and have your consent to do it. A lot of guys in my family have ear piercings and I told myself if my boys want piercings they can wait till they have the money to pay and have thought through it. Dont go against dad’s wishes. It’s his child too and y’all are supposed to coparent and agree on decisions like this especially for how young she is.

1 Like

Let her do it her body her choice… just because he doesn’t like piercings he doesn’t have the right to say no it’s not his body

4 Likes

She’s fucking 11. Not even a teeen yet, damn. What the fuckkk. Hell no. No one would be piercing shit but their ears at that age. Smh

It’s not about her age, it’s about you and your ex coming together to parent your daughter. What if he took her to do something you were adamantly opposed to? How would you feel as the parent who voiced concern but it fell on deaf ears? Sure, it can be taken out if she doesn’t like it, but it’s still a body modification and she’s a minor. Dad gets a say whether you agree with him or not.

4 Likes

I got my nose pirsed when I was 11 and still have it in to this day shes not to young shes at the age she knows what she wants and like some people have said she can always take it out your not a bad parent for wanting to do something like this for your daughter yes the dad has said no but come to a compromise then he cant throw stuff in your face ps a little nose ring is harmless but that’s just my opinion to each there own

3 Likes

Make her wait till she’s 16 if she still wants it then go for it.

1 Like

I wont let my daughter get her nose pierced until she is at least 16. I didn’t get mine done until i was almost 20.
Side note when you do allow her to get her nose pierced, take her to a professional. I got mine done at a tattoo shop and they were amazing. Ive heard horror stories about people getting it done with a piercing gun.

If her dad said no then the answer should be no

2 Likes

No plenty of time for that later

I had to wait until I was 12 (ears) and want it straight for a year.
Kids change their minds. Our daughter wanted her ears pierced. We left it for a year, we didn’t bring it up at all over that year. At first she would tell us she still wanted it but then forgot about it.
I think 11 is too young and depending on the child, 12 is too. They have time to do it when they are adults or at least older. If dad is against it, leave it and tell them they can do it when they are adults. It’s good for kids to have to wait for things.

Whoa wait a min… She’s 11… I agree with the dad. Kids need to be kids. Don’t speed up the growing up process. You’ll wish you never did.

6 Likes

_let her wait until she is 18 and decide for herself

2 Likes

Compromise on an age. My mom was okay with it. My dad said now(i was 14) they agreed on 16.

I think she cant by law? … It might make u look bad in court. Id do research first

I wanted mine done at that age and my mom told me to wait till my next birthday and if I still wanted it I can do it. It’s pretty young but the girls around my age all had them done and I felt left out which is why I wanted it. I’m glad I didn’t tho in the long run

My daughter had hers done at 9 she is 15 now she loves it. Her dad is a tattoo artist but we both agreed

3 Likes

she needs to be more mature to make that type of decision. my daughter is ten and she’s super mature, but she’s peirced her ears an now she doen’t ike them and she hates the holes it left. she will change her mind so muxh in th next five years. she isnt even a teenager yet. heck, when i was 13 i went to get my belly button pierced and i got turned down every place i tried because it was to much responsibility. let her be old enough to drive at least because if she does it now and it goes out of style (which pretty much is now anyway) she will have a permanent scar on her face.

I think it should wait until 18. I don’t think your a bad parent if you do allow it. I do however think it is bad partnership if you out right go against eachothers wishes. Find a compromise :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

My daughter is 14 and wants it done. I told her after the school year she can do it before going to high school

1 Like

I was 14 when I got my belly button pierced.

11 seems a bit young, I got mine at 15 and thought that was too young… I’d wait until she’s at least a teenager

2 Likes

11 in my opinion is way too young.

4 Likes

She’s 11!! She doesn’t need her nose pierced and him not liking it is enough reason not to. If she still wants it in a few years then proceed with asking again then. But 11 honestly was probably too early for you to do it as well so that doesn’t make allowing her a good reason. :woman_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

Maybe have a sitdown conversation with her dad and see if you three can come to a compromise on when she can get her first piercing