My daughter wants to get her nose pierced but her dad said no: Advice?

11 is too young. Co parenting is requires respect each others opinion.

4 Likes

You both need to be on the same page. In my opinion 11 is a little to young for a nose piercing.
Dad has just as much say in raising his child as you do. If you were to go ahead and do it, how would you feel if in the future he does something you’ve told your daughter no to?

3 Likes

A father’s opinion should be valued as much as a mother’s opinion. Especially if your co-parenting.
My opinion, 11 is too young. 16 is still young, but a better age.
My parents, split and did not co-parent, both said no until I moved out, even if I was 18, if I still lived under their roof, their rules.

3 Likes

He’s not in charge of HER body. Now is a good time to teach her that her body is hers and no one else is in charge of it. And maybe he will learn something too but I doubt it.

That being said, I talked my daughter out of a belly piercing at that age because I didn’t want her having a scar if she decided she didn’t like it lol.

9 Likes

I’m with Deborah. If y’all can’t agree to yes, then his no vetos your yes. Sorry, that’s how coparenting is done. Sit her down and explain how you validate her feelings and empathize with her… however her dad is not comfortable with it, and how if she keeps her head on straight, makes good grades, shows just how mature she is, that maybe y’all can revisit the subject when she’s a little older. You going against her dad is totally wrong. If a mom
Was on here talking about how the dad went against her wishes and got their child’s ear pierced or a tattoo or such we would be fighting mad for the mom. So no. Shitty parenting move on your part if you went against dad.

My daughter had hers done at 14

I have two grown sons that wanted all this kinda stuff when they were young. I told them the decision you make at this age may not be the one you make later.

Neither one have tattoos or piercings to date.

1 Like

She is way too young for a nose piercing maybe 16 but it would be when your out my house honestly

It sounds like he has a problem with her doing it because you did it. It’s legal and safe and really to be honest Sounds way more okay than when parents pierce their kids ears when they’re babies without the baby having any power to consent to pain they don’t understand. It’s just a piercing. It’s not permanent. :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Yeah I personally I don’t believe that that’s a good enough reason. what’s a tiny itty bitty hole that if she changes her mind at 18 nobody’s going to even though she ever had it done

No piercings till atleast 16. Wtf why would it even be thought of at 11???

1 Like

When they are 18, they can get all the piercings or tattoos that they want.

1 Like

I personally think 11 is too young to make that decision. Maybe wait untill she’s 15 or 16?

2 Likes

Go ahead and do it a piercing is not a permanent thing and if she ends up taking it out the hole will close up. I would comprise in the age with the dad though. Say wait till she’s around 13/14.

1 Like

If you have to ask, you already know the answer

4 Likes

My oldest is 12 no way would I let her at 11 get her nose done… Maybe at 16 if she’s responsible enough… But my 12 yr old afriad to get her ears done so I don’t gotta worry😂

1 Like

I was 11. I think it’s totally fine. Im 24 and stillhave the ones i got at 11.

16 maybe not 11 ! Holy crap!

3 Likes

I personally think 11 is too young but you also want to respect the other parents wishes Coparenting involves a lot of compromises and respect

3 Likes

Even if you guys arent together you are still suppose to work as a team. If he doesnt want his daughter to have it weather you agree or not you should respect his decision. I honestly think she is way too young, if you start letting her do piercings like that now what is she gonna want to peirce when she is 13 and then at 16… and it’s not ears your talking about it’s her face… no way!!

1 Like

I would talk him into letting her because at least she’s asking permission later on she might just go and do it and then get more behind his back not wanting to ask… better to get it out of her system

I see a lot of people chatting up the whole “stop making her grow up so fast” I guess I’m on the moms side for this one. A lot of jobs don’t let you have piercings (I know more and more are being more accepting) but maybe in a few years because I did see someone have a good point most states have an age of when they can get something like that done. And I’m a big believer in taking your kids to tattoo/piercing shop to get even their ears pierced. Do I think 11 is too young? Yes. Maybe 13/15 is better. She’ll be able to get it done at a shop she’ll have it long enough if she needs to take it out for a job it won’t be so likely to close up so quickly and she’ll be older and be able to take care of it better. And she may change her mind by then as well. I’m all for kids getting to have fun, have crazy hair colors, crazy hair cuts, etc before they turn 16/17 years old where they get a job and can’t have those fun things.

1 Like

No different then her ears. Go for it

For my nose piercing my parents made me wait until I was 18, I got my belly button done at 16. My dad wasn’t happy or thrilled about it, but he signed for me to get it done

I got mine done when I was 16 and not that I’m 28, I HAVE to wear something in the hole because it never healed when I wanted it to. These kinds of decisions shouldn’t be made by an 11 year old. I don’t care what times are like now. If all of her friends had tattoos on their faces, would you also allow her to do that? I don’t think so.

1 Like

Where do y’all live?? Cuz out here…a tattoo shop won’t do anything but ears till at least 14. Also…if he’s involved in her life frequently…then you should respect his opinion. SMH… stirring the shit pot and ZERO respect.

I personally think it’s a bit young for a piercing like that BUT she’s old enough to do decide. What she does to her body has nothing to do with what he “likes”. She is her own person. Get it done, tell your husband to stop dictating what she should have based on his likes and dislikes

3 Likes

I personally think that’s alil young. I would wait till more 14-15 but maybe that’s jus because that’s around the time I got mine done.

2 Likes

I went behind my parents back and did my belly button and my lip. I wanted it sooo bad. But I was like 13/14…11 does seem really young. I think you should appreciate her dad’s opinion and ask him if y’all can compromise. Ask him if y’all can reconsider at like 13 or 14. I think if y’all can come to an agreement on an age and give her a timeline so that she doesn’t go behind your back then that would be a better idea than for you to just undermine her dad

U could Force ur man away with things like this and she is 2 young in my opinion

I think personal 11 is too young. She’s not even a teenager yet! I agree with dad and you should too!

If my daughter came to me at 16, then yes we can talk about it. But definitely not at 11!!

And when he wants to do something w her you are against and does you will see how it feels.
I personally think 14 or 16 would be the earliest.

She’s 11 get real lady. Be her mother not her friend!

6 Likes

11 is to young, she isn’t old enough to make that decision and be okay with it.

Reading these comments and seeing how young so many people were makes me wonder what kind of parents y’all have. Like who let’s a CHILD IN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL GET FACE PIERCINGS?!

9 Likes

I got my nose pierced with my mom for my 16th birthday. She had to sign a consent waiver and it was such a fun experience. My nose is still pierced 14 years later. I asked for my nose pierced for a couple of -years- before my parents were willing to budge on it and then they waited for that milestone birthday to do it. Personally, and as someone who got it done YOUNG, I think 11 is way too young. And to play devil’s advocate, he may view piercings as a sexual thing (which is normal) and doesn’t want his 11 year old sexualized.

Are you kidding me?!?!? She’s way too young.

1 Like

our laws in Illinois for body piercing no minor under 18 may enter a piercing shop. I feel 16 with parental permission .I had a friend who had eyebrows lips nose. Had a awful time getting a job. Now she has what looks like pock marks.

Too young. And I am surprised the school are OK with it.

3 Likes

11 is way to young to be piercing her nose.

3 Likes

That’s too young. She doesn’t understand the concept of permanent at this point in life. No a piercing isnt “permanent” but the scar is when you take it out

1 Like

Sounds like she’s 11 going on 16. If you let her do that at 11, what’s next? I personally believe 11 is too young. It’s always best if both parents are on the same page.

2 Likes

Dad has the right to say no and he doesn’t need a reason other than he he her father and just as much a parent as you. If y’all can’t agree then she needs to wait until she’s older. She’s 11 what’s the rush other than her wanting it done

2 Likes

Her body her choice. Id tell her dad that its happening as she has made a decision and its her body. I had mine done at 11. No biggy really but it was my decision and my parents respected that

1 Like

They have all there live 2 do this shit.

At 11 id say no as well. Thats way to young to be making a decision. Shes not even a teen yet. I have mine done and i will tell you this one of the most painful piercings i had done.

3 Likes

Uh, if Dad said No…subject closed!

5 Likes

I agree with dad. I think 11 is to young for a nose piercing. Ears sure not issue . I think 13 would be a better age. I got my belly done at 13 , and my tongue at 16.

1 Like

You people rambling on about face piercings and jobs know that piercings come out right? Let them do these harmless things when theyre young…theyll likely take them out as adults.

Also, I have my nose pierced and I’m a spec ed educator working for a school board lol No one cares

2 Likes

She’s 11 id say no too

Her body her choice let her do it

I personally think it’s a bit too young, but that’s just my opinion. Maybe get her those fake magnetic ‘piercings’? I would talk to the dad and see if he was okay with actual piercings when she’s older.

Ugh. My 12 year old daughter has been asking for her septum or nose too. Her school has a very strict rule about it though. But even if it didn’t she isn’t mature enough yet. I tried to explain to her that the tattoo and piercing studios that do these piercings have an age limit for a reason. I also did my own nose when I was about 14 and it ended up getting infected LOL. Idk. I think his opinion should matter too though, maybe if you guys make a deal like she shows good responsibility for the next year you’ll revisit the question?? That’s how I’m planning on doing it with my daughter anyway.

11 is definetly to young in my opinion

I’m with her dad on this one she is way to young to get her nose pierced.

1 Like

I love piercings and tattoos, I just personally think 11 is too young to pierce anything other than ears. that’s just my opinion tho

11 is way to young. My parents let me at 16 and I got over it within a a couple years and am left with a small hole in my nose. Absolutely not.

Seriously…YESSSSSSS!!!

She’s a couple years too young for a face piercing love. I think 13 would be okay.

I’m sorry but 11? she’s too young. I’d go with dad on that.

1 Like

What if this was the other way around “dad said yes mom said no” and dad went and did it any ways you all would be flipping TF out dad has just as much say… sorry :neutral_face:

3 Likes

Her body her choice but I do think 11 is a bit young I’d have her wait till teens at least

1 Like

If you go against dad’s no, for the rest of her adolescences she will have no respect for her dad when he says no because “mom will say yes if I go to her.” He May be an ex but undermining his authority will ultimately make for a difficult relationship with him and for him and your daughter. Wait until she’s older and try again.

6 Likes

Go for it. The nose is a spot where if she decided to take it out it wouldn’t be a noticible hole. I’ve had my nose pierced for 20 years!

11 is way too young.

2 Likes

I let my daughter Morgan get her tongue pierced and dad had a fit.

I’m siding with Dad. 11 is crazy lol

2 Likes

11!!! This must be a joke smh… Good God :woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming: My 11 year old wants a BABY ALIVE, SLIME and a BARBIE for Christmas.

3 Likes

Dear god! The amount of girls in these comments and their golden uterus! Dad does have a say! It doesn’t matter if it’s her body! She’s 11! She can’t even legally get it without a parents ok! She can’t even get a job. She can’t legally buy cigarettes! It doesn’t matter if it’s her body! People need to be parents and stop being your child’s friend! This is what is wrong with Coparenting! Both have to work together and compromise! And the OP needs to be talking this over with dad and not freaking Facebook! :woman_facepalming:

17 Likes

She is 11 what the fuck guys!

11 is way to young, i say 14 is when i let my 2 daughters get the nose piercing

1 Like

11 is too young, especially if dad says no I would make her wait til at least 14 then he can deal with it lol

2 Likes

My 15yr old has asked me like 2 times if she can get hers done. I just looked at her like she was crazy. I feel like 15 is to young so 11 definitely is to young in my opinion.

Put yourself in his shoes and how would it make you feel if he approved something you were agaisnt!

2 Likes

Um… i got my ears gauged at 11 because i asked and my lip pierced at 15.

I think the parents need to discuss this between each other. Just because one parent said no doesnt make it an automatic NO. There is 2 parents for a reason.
Piercings are harmless and they come right out.

But it is a discussion that needs to be had between the both of you.

OK ask yourself if Your ex went behind your back and Pierced your child’s ears or cut their hair after you said no? would it piss you off? Because if you do it, it will piss him off.
And my daughters are 10 and 12 and if my oldest came to me and asked I would consider it, but I would also take my husband’s thoughts in to account. We parent as a team whether you are married or not.
I also allow her to shave her head, color hair and let her be her. But I’m also there to make sure she understands everything that comes with all of those choices. Judgment of people, bullies, even adults!
I make sure that she understands that no matter what anyone else thinks or says she is allowed to be the person that she wants to be without apology.
As many judgments as many of us have been through I am amazed at how many people are still judgmental against piercings and being a little different . No I’m not gonna let them get tattos or anything that’s going to leave any permanent scars but a small piercing, I don’t see anything wrong with that except for the fact the other parent doesn’t agree. we would sit down and discuss what she needed to accomplish and what responsibilities she would be taking over to earn the privilege of getting a piercing. It can’t just be No, their has to be compmrise.

I think 11 is too young to do something like that and either way in my opinion of you are co parenting and yall dont agree on to do it then no

People telling you that 11 is too young, I say it depends on the child. I have 3 daughters and one of which at 11 I definitely would let her (she’s mature, respectful, responsible & I see no issue with letting her) the other two? Ha! I don’t see the “age” being the issue here as much as the other parent not agreeing. I wouldn’t go behind his back and do it as that would cause way more conflict than it’s worth, for you and the child. Maybe try to come up with a solution with her dad that fits both of you and the child? I know sometimes that’s easier said than done.

2 Likes

Tell her if she still wants one when she 15/16 then she can have one. Make sure she knows she has to take care of it. And that once she gets a hole they never close. And talk to her dad and let him know how you feel about it and that at some point he is gonna have to be okay with her growing up and doing things. And that at 15/16 you think she should be able to get it done

Don’t do it if he says no. Wait another year at least. Maybe at 12 he will change his mind. You would hate for him to go against your wishes on something.

Let her get her nose pierced, when she turns 18.

I.would try to comprise with dad. Like say at 13 if she still wants it and she does good in school yes. I myself like piercings and so does my husband, BUT I wouldnt let my 11 year old get something pierced. When she is 13 yes.

1 Like

What is age state law go by that

1 Like

Will anyone even pierce a 11 year olds nose. I would say like 16

1 Like

11 is way too young. She will forever have a hole in her face that she probably won’t want when she’s an adult. I’m siding with Dad.

As someone who just got her facial piercings (that I’ve wanted since I was 12/13’ish), I say wait.
No tattoo shop is going to do a nostril piercing at that age. Usually you’re looking at 15/16. You want any piercings to sit “right” and also, facial piercings are tough to take care of.
They’re outside, getting dirty all day. Making sure it does snag on anything when playing. Keeping it clean. Taking care of it when she’s sick. These are all pretty difficult things to manage that you need to keep in mind.
Also, the younger the child, the more likely to have skin sensitivity. Are you going to pull her from school when it gets infected? Are you going to be able to remove the ring that first time to change it out without her freaking out?

I’m all about bodily atonomy, but it still has to be safe and sterile and healthy. Right now, it has the potential to be unhealthy for her so for that reason alone, you should be waiting. Dad’s reasoning of “I don’t like it” is not a reason, but her well-being is.

2 Likes

11 is a young age to teach someone they don’t have to respect their parents wishes.
If you start that standard now your daughter will eventually do the same to you because you taught her it’s ok.
Talk to dad privately. Negotiate and establish a timeframe that is fair with both parents co-parenting. He will also be furious and likely harass his daughter about the complete disregard for him and there may come a time when you say no about something and he will disregard your opinion because you did it to him. Just my opinion

1 Like

No; the decision has to be mutual. The trust in your relationship will be tainted. She is his daughter too.

1 Like

Should be a mutual agreement

It’s not about our opinion about age this us about mom saying yes n dad saying no. This is gonna get complicated. And it a no win situation. Maybe you can compromise with the dad n let the daughter tell him. Why she wants it. He needs to compromise too. That’s my opinion.

I wouldn’t do it at 11. Maybe 15-16. If she wants it now she will want it then. But thats just me.

1 Like

No I wouldn’t let my 11 year old do it I’ve just had mine done and I’m 30 :joy::joy::joy:

As a professional piercer - I won’t touch anyone under the age of 16.

As a mom, I feel 16 is appropriate. I don’t agree with that just being the dad’s basis but 11 years old really is too young because they run a higher risk of infection. And I’d be worried she’d play with it all day. Also if I’m not mistaken, most elementary schools can report you to DSS in some states as child abuse. I know our state, if kids in elementary schools have body piercings they do have the authority to report it to Child Services for abuse.

6 Likes

Wait till shes of age . Most places wont do children .

I don’t think it makes you a bad parent but if your partner says no then you should just respect that and tell her the answer is no… personally I think 11 is young BUT she’s not my kid… If my husband says no then the answer is no, same vice versa…

1 Like

Chat with dad and come up with a compromise. Don’t let her see you guys divided because she will use that.

I got my belly pierced at 11 so I think its okay🤷‍♀️

I think 11 is too young maybe when she is 16 or she can just wait until she is 18 and she doesn’t have to ask her parents for permission… you and the dad need to be on the same page… if not revisit it…

3 Likes

11 is to young imo. Also, it doesn’t matter his reason for saying no, just like it doesn’t matter your reason if you ever say no.

4 Likes

I have multiple tattoos and any reputable shop will not do a nose piercing on a teen under 16 and the parent has to be there

5 Likes