My daughter wants to get her nose pierced but her dad said no: Advice?

I got my nose pierced at 12 & my snake bites at 15, my first tattoo at 19, but I’ve shaved my head since I was 10 all different crazy stuff, dyed my hair plum purple at 15, if my kid asked me i would let them they’re expressing themselves in my eyes

I personally would wait until at least 16 for facial piercings. If they want a few ear piercings that’s fine, those can be easily covered without having to remove them, and scarring isn’t as noticeable if she would decide to get rid of them. I also think it’s really important that both parents agree. It could create a lot of issues over something minor that can easily be put on the back burner for a few years.

3 Likes

Minimum age with adult consent is 16.

1 Like

I wouldn’t. 11 is to young & that sets a bad example. That it’s ok to ignore her parents. No piercer will touch her anyway.

2 Likes

She’s 11. Let her be a kid for as long as she can. When she still wants it 5 years, when she turns 16 then yeah, why not?

2 Likes

I’d say no cause if he did that to you would you be impressed.? I let my son & daughter have their ears done & I told their dad & he said he was concerned but if they want it done have it done… but a nose at 11.? No way, I told my two that they will have to be 16 to have anything like that done…

Ho as the custody of the girl?

that’s a tough one. I personally wouldn’t allow it at 11 either. But what about asking dad if there’s a goal or some sort of milestone he would like her to reach to earn the piercing?

I was 13 i believe when i did mine. My nieces were all 13-16

At 11? That’d be a hard no for me too.

4 Likes

Way too young for any of that. I’d be against it too. No.

1 Like

How many more reasons other than he doesn’t like the idea of his 11 year old having a piercing does he need?! It doesn’t matter what his other excuses are. At the end of the day it just boils down to the fact that he does not like it. :roll_eyes:

Wow 11 is a super young age to get a facial piercing. Maybe a second hole in her ear or cartilage something like that. I wouldn’t want my 11 yo with facial piercings

1 Like

Its completely disrespectful to him as a parent that you have even considered doing it anyway.

2 Likes

If you have joint custody you can’t make that decision alone.

maybe just get her a fake nose ring for now?

1 Like

Yes shes 11 and doesnt need her nose pierced

1 Like

Self esteem is important at that age. If a nose piercing helps her feel more confident, then try to explain that to him. She can always take it out down the road if she changes her mind. Mine has been out for a year and i have no hole or scar.

Co-parenting is hard. Try flipping the script: take something you don’t approve of that your ex does and see how you’d like it if he went through without your blessing. For me, I’d rather pick a different fight.

2 Likes

What would you feel and do if YOU said no to something but he allowed it anyway? Better think ahead on this one.

1 Like

11? Geez shes not even a teen yet

4 Likes

No period too young who’s the parent

3 Likes

I’d wait until she’s a little older. My 12 year old niece just got her bellybutton pierced and the family freaked out for some reason. I’m the “weird aunt” with tattoos and piercings so I’m all for being able to get what you want but at least be at an appropriate age.

One thing the belly button piercing did do was help her. One of her friends moms went through her daughters phone and found nudes on it (she’s 12 too) the girl lied and said it was my niece. I said what day were the pictures taken, I don’t want to see them just tell me the day. The pics were after she had the piercing done and the girl in the pic didn’t have hers pierced. So I saved her
from getting in trouble. They aren’t friends anymore and since the “friend” lied trying to get herself out of trouble she my niece beat her ass at school. I was proud lol. When asked why she fought her she said she didn’t want to be known as the school whore. She’s got an attitude and I love it lol.

Wow… you should respect his feelings as a parent. And 11 is way too young for a nose piercing!

4 Likes

If you both agree on joint decisions, then you should accept his answer, let your daughter know if she still wants one at 18 you would take her. Future note, do not say yes to something if you plan on asking the father for his answer…joint decisions are just that.

3 Likes

I think 11 is way to young.

4 Likes

She probably wants it done because she sees yours. It doesn’t have to be done at whatever age had yours done. I suggest that you compromise with her dad wait until her late teens. Let her think about it until she’s sixteen. She may actually change her mind. 🤷 She may not even want it done anymore.

2 Likes

Other than ear piercing, the rest can wait until they are of age… mine have changed their minds

2 Likes

11 seems VERY young for a face piercing. I would revisit the subject with your ex when she is around 16

3 Likes

She is 11… I would wait a few years and see if she still wants it. Just because an 11 year old wants something doesn’t mean you just give it to her. You’re a parent, not her friend. If Dad says no, you should talk to him also about waiting for a few years and revisiting the subject when she’s older.

1 Like

I wouldn’t at 11 tbh but that’s personal preference and that’s not because I don’t like piercings as I have loads, I’d maybe suggest she might want to look at something that could be covered or something that if she decided she didn’t like wouldbt be as noticeable, also they’re prone to (excuse me I can’t remember what they’re called) lumps underneath them some of which don’t disappear which could make her self conscious as a child going through school. If she was to have it done I’d make sure she was aware of everything including aftercare, what can go wrong etc xx

Regardless She is to young… wait until she is at least a teen.
My stepdaughter wanted the top of her ear pierced and her mom and dad said no but her stepdad took her to get it done behind their backs. Which upset my husband. She was 11 at the time and she is 13 now. Just be in agreement with her dad

1 Like

I got mine done at 10 so I’m all for it… but… if he is an active part in her life I’d say no he has equal right in the decision making and I think it’s wrong to ignore his feelings… that surprises me that the school is fine with it because most school won’t even allow colored hat let alone piercings

11 is too young for that piercing.

You and her father need to be on the same page and not allow it.

Tell your daughter you will revisit the idea when she’s 14.

If you go against her father now, it will lead to bigger issues. It’s teaching your child not to respect their father :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

I would say no too, I think 11 is too young

1 Like

Where i live u have to be 14 with parent consent i would never let a 11 yo get a piercing thats rediculous!

1 Like

11 is a little young to permanently mark her face. Its probably a decision she should make when shes a little older

Does he not like piercings in general or just on his 11 year old?? I have many piercings but can’t stand to see them on children (baby’s who’s had they’re ears done really grinds my gears) I would tell my daughter to wait until she’s 14 and if she still wants it done then ok but not at 11

From personal experienc w/ my oldest child & tattoos. It’s better to take her to a reputable shop & have it done under your supervision, otherwise she will just go out & have it done behind your back by a friend that has not been trained to do so.

1 Like

Are there even reputable piercing studios that will pierce an 11 year old. I dont know if the laws are different in the us (assuming you’re in the us) but I know in the uk, a reputable studio will not pierce, except for lobe piercings, a child under the age of 16. Even at 16 it has to be with parental consent. I would be questioning the studio who is willing to pierce the face of an 11 year old. :flushed:

3 Likes

Definitely not at 11 maybe 16? That’s how old I was when my dad finally let me get it done

My son wants to dye his hair he’s 12. I told him wait till hes older .i wasnt allowed to do any of that till I was atleast 16.and piercings I was 24 and 27 had to get away from my family and do it .its your child who is raising her I habe all the legal and medical choices .im nit going to ait here and tell someone how to parent everyone is diffrent .i didnt want my son to uve a phone and his dad got him one we are divorced .when I was married my husband disnt like puercings said I looked like a whore so I pierced ky own eyebrow lol .no one can tell others what to do you have to do what you feel is right .personally I wont let my son get his eyebrow done rigjt now but if he’s in high school thats fine .i wasnt allowed to be me and I went crazy when i got away from my family but we are parents for a reason to teach them how to be decent adults and to make the best decisions

11 is way to young. Only my opinion but she should be of age to do that kind of piercing

Just let me ask this

How would you feel if she was with her dad and he took her to get a haircut you didn’t have input on? Or had her join a religious organization you didn’t agree with?

Being a mother doesn’t make you lord and emperor over your child. If the other parent is a loving and active parent, their input matters.

4 Likes

She just got out of elementary school…I would wait to her 9th grade year at the least. And if her father says no, then do not go behind his back get it done. That will cause major unnecessary conflict between you two. She can wait a few more years

I wouldn’t let my 11 year old get their nose pierced. Ears yes. Nose no. But if her dad doesn’t agree as well then you shouldn’t take her to do it. Y’all should agree together. How would YOU feel if you didn’t want her nose pierced and he took her to do it anyway? Think about it that way.

That piercing will leave a mark forever. If she hates it a few years from now that’s going to be on you. Wait till she’s old enough to comprehend that a noise piercing is a life long thing, if she takes it out there will be a scar. I will never give my 11 year old the power to make a choice like that. They aren’t even allowed to have phones

1 Like

At 11 years old she should NOT have her nose pierced.

1 Like

11 is young for a piercing.

1 Like

Do youbhave joint custody of her where he has say in that kind of thing if not go against his wishes it’s a dam piercing she can take it out if she wants to when she is older its her choice your a good mother for allowing her to be herself

3 Likes

I let my daughter get hers done at 16.

She’s 11!!! IMO, that’s just too young. I wouldn’t either.

To young I think. My daughter got hers for her 14th birthday. He may come around when she gets a little older and I wouldn’t push it on him.

Way to young… maybe her ears pierced again?

I say no. When she’s older she can. 16 is a better age.

It has to be a mutual agreement. She is way too young to make decisions like that.

2 Likes

11?? No… 15/16? Sure if that’s what she wants.

1 Like

I don’t blame him I think 11 is way too young. Shit my ex went crazy cause I got my 11 year olds nails done.

I wouldn’t allow it at 11. But I wouldn’t necessarily say no period either. I’d wait til 15 before allowing a nose piercing.

Some things have to wait! She has her whole life ahead of her to look forward to.

If you do it all now then what’s there to look forward to later!?

I got my belly button pierced at 13 I don’t see a big deal

I don’t even think they will do it at 11? They wouldn’t pierce my daughters ear cartilage until she was 13.

Most places won’t even pierce someone under 15, even with parental extent. If THEY won’t even do it, you might want to rethink you view on it🤷‍♀️

2 Likes

Should agree with dad on this one so she cant play yall as she gets older. Tell her wait till shes 16-18 then yall revisit it that way one you see if she truly wants it or if it was just a fad thing. I wanted a tattoo at 17 my mom who has tattoos told me to wait till I was 18 so I could go see someone she knew (the laws in MS say you gotta be 18 for a tattoo.) She also done it that way to see if I truly wanted one or if I was just saying it.

My mom wouldn’t even let me get my belly button pierced until I was 14, I’d make her wait until then to see if she even still wants it done. I didn’t get my nose done until 17.

Nose done at 11? Nope! Ears? Sure. Nose can wait until at least 16

1 Like

Its just a piercing not a face tattoo jeeze. Just an fyi u can actually remove it

1 Like

My dad told me no until I was 18 and I respected that.

1 Like

I would say like 14-16 11 is a little young maybe

I think the age is fine but if her dad says no thwn you should respect his wishes

Her body her choice right? It’s just a needle thru the nose with a piece of jewelry. And if she doesn’t wanna keep it, she can take it out.

But they might not even pierce her as she’s only 11, maybe explain that to her and you might be able to extend the wait until she’s of piercing age.

11? :joy: I dont know. I see little kids with piercings and I think its trashy, but that’s just my opinion. You should respect his wishes too. Piercings are so.ething I feel should be mutual and done when you’re older.

3 Likes

11 is way to young. I would wait till she gets in high school

At 11, it is a mutual parent decision

I’ve had everything pierced EVERYThINg and now my face looks like a pin cushion J/S
It’s the piercing scars she might regret later in life that’s all but when ur young u don’t care lol

3 Likes

My parents only let me get my ears pierced…I’ve got my belly button and my nose pierced after the age of 16…got bored with both and took them out lol

Wait till atleast 16

I think you should agree. Would you want him to just do it if you was the one who said no.

1 Like

I’ll share with you the same thing my Dad told me: pierce whatever you want because whenever you change your mind you simply take it out and the hole will close, do not get tattoo’s on a whim because those don’t remove so easily. I would have a conversation with him (Dad) because it’s not about what he likes, it’s about letting your daughter express herself and you allowing her to do in a safe manner so she knows she’ll be accepted no matter what.

Most professional places won’t do it until they are 16. So wait until then.

1 Like

Hell no not at 11! If she still wants it done at 18 then fine. But until then, she’s too young

2 Likes

11 ?? My daughter is 11 and that is a HELL NO.

2 Likes

I would say 13 at a minimum…if both patents agree. 11 is so young. She could have it ripped out and have a big bump there for life…15-16 is the age id be comfortable with.

If you were flat out against something he was in favor of for yalls child, how would you feel if he went through with it anyway?

1 Like

Well I don’t know cuz I didn’t have either one of my girls ask but I think I’ll a twelve-year-old is kind of young but I would see if it’s a peer pressure from school maybe saw a lot of her friends have that and really I don’t see anything wrong with it I mean it’s just like it’s not a facial tattoo it’s something that could be removed and a lot of people are doing it and that may be why she wants to fit in I don’t I don’t I don’t think it’s any big deal

let her be a young girl! dont let her grow up to fast. most places wont till 16 with parents signature

1 Like

At 11 she is way to young to make any decision like that, I feel her dad is right in this situation …as she isn’t even old enough, I was 16 when my bellybutton got pierced and my dad still objected…then when I was 17 I got my tongue done…neither of which I have today! They were mistakes and if she has time to grow up she may make a different choice. Yes they can be taken out but don’t look the same.

11 year olds legally can’t have their nose pierced… NO TATTOOS OR BODY PIERCING (except 1 piercing per ear lobe) FOR MINORS UNDER 14… And thats in all United States!!

2 Likes

Get her a cheap pack of magnetic ones to play with on the weekends. No hole is a good compromise.

I would say respect the dar for a little while and ask again when she is 13

1 Like

That’s his child also you don’t get to be the only parent who makes decisions for her regardless of what you feel about it so respect his opinion on this one.

2 Likes

Id wait till 16 but each to their own I guess

11 is way too young for a piercing like that. 15-16 is the age for that.

2 Likes

At 11 years old she is probably in 6th or 7th grade. If dad says no then it should be no.

Your supposed to United. Co-parenting - stand behind each other’s parenting decisions (within reason obviously) I would not go behind his back. That shows your daughter it’s okay to deceive. Maybe compromise with him on the age. 15 seems fair.

Aside from the fact that both parents should absolutely be 100% in agreement with something as drastic as a FACIAL piercing (let alone at the age of 11), no reputable piercer would pierce an 11 year old’s nose even with parental consent. I had my nose pierced when I was 18 and when I inevitably did decide to remove it for good after only a year of having it in, the hole in my nose from it is STILL there 8 years later. Which may not matter to you or her but for the sake of the conversation, I figured I’d throw that out there. It’s not something that just goes away if she decides it’s not for her any longer.

Also are we just going to ignore the risk of infection that comes along with ANY piercing? Will you (or Dad) be able to forgive yourself if God forbid anything happens after the fact? Or if it gets ripped out on accident at school by either her or another child and permanently scars her face? It may be a small chance but a chance that shouldn’t be ignored when making your decision, regardless of whether YOU had any issues with yours at that age.

5 Likes

I feel like I’m a very laid back parent…but 11 is too young. Anything that leaves a permanent mark should be a decision they make when they’re older.

4 Likes

I honestly think 11 is way too young to get your nose pierced. I’m 32 and just got mine done and while it didn’t hurt… my kids have to be 18 before they get it.

1 Like

11? No. Come back to it in about 5 years.

1 Like

Wow 11 years old. Um no

1 Like