My daughters friends family never invites her anywhere: Thoughts?

Overthinking. If you want to bring your kid’s friends along, great. Has nothing to do with other parent not inviting your kid anywhere. They obviously just don’t do things the way you do. Is everything transactional in your life?

15 Likes

Wow. Something for something. You don’t do nice things & expected to be paid back. That was your choice …smh

23 Likes

I am that type of parent. I don’t want to take extra kids with me anywhere and it’s nothing against the kid. Sometimes it’s also due to lack of extra funds. Sometimes it’s just because I have 4 of my own already. There are times I wish I could take my kids friends places with us because some of their parents take my kids along, but that is their choice to do so. If a parent came at me asking why I don’t take their child, I’d probably feel like a piece of shit. Maybe don’t over think it too much.

25 Likes

Ill be honest. I cant stand other ppls kids. It gives me bad anxiety. But if my kid is going with a friend somewhere i would deff make sure they had the money to cover all their expenses.

21 Likes

They may just not want to be responsible for someone else’s child.

21 Likes

Don’t invite the friend anywhere your going have her over the house but don’t take the friend anywhere your going as a family

3 Likes

Sometimes what you see on Facebook isnt really what’s going on. And maybe you presume to much about there finances and they dont invite your daughter for lack of funds. We often go tons of places and are always tagged in stuff but it was planned and paid for via a budget maybe their grass isnt ad green as you think.

17 Likes

I don’t think it’s that big of a deal. Honestly nothing personal. I have a hard time dealing with my own kids let alone other people’s kids lol. My children’s friends have never stepped foot in my home unless for birthdays and it’s nothing personal with the child really. Granted I let my kids best friend stay the night for their birthday but that’s it. Kids are always welcomed in our yard though and for cook outs 🤷🤷

6 Likes

I think your overthinking it. Maybe they don’t have the funds to bring your daughter along and is embarrassed to say hey I’ll bring your daughter but we’d need you to pay for her.

2 Likes

I’m wondering how you know their finances so well? Honestly. It’s ridiculous. Maybe they only have enough money for them to go out and do things as a family after all of their bills? Maybe they don’t have money to pay for your child too… so if it’s really offending you why not offer to pay for YOUR child to go along on their fun days.

14 Likes

Oh we had one like that. Just remember your kid isn’t the problem. They are. They have already taught their child how to use people to get to do fun stuff.

8 Likes

I have been the parent who never takes the friends. In my case the answer was very simple due to things beyond my control I Became a single parent to 6 children. I lived with in laws for a couple years then moved into. 33 ft travel trailer. I simply had no room. Taking them to do things, again simply I had no room. Inviting family to join ours I’m antisocial and due to what I was going through was having a tough time, I didn’t want to interact or entertain the parents. I was quite frankly embarrassed and overwhelmed. Sometimes things aren’t simple. Thank you for allowing the kids to be friends and always taking the friends. Sometimes there are thing some parents and children don’t want to share. I know my children felt the same way I did.

9 Likes

So you punish your daughter by taking away her friend just cause she doesn’t get invited to her house or events. She’s 7 she probably doesn’t have much say on who and when she can invite someone over.

14 Likes

If the girls enjoy being together I’d just leave it. It’s not the kids fault even if the parents are just dicks.

7 Likes

It might be for the best. Super toxic families still look good on insta, but your daughter doesn’t need time with that! Maybe mom knows dad isn’t safe, or mom is a drunk, or they fight and scream and your daughters friend doesn’t want to share that. Let it go, keep the girl at your house - something is wrong over there!

24 Likes

There could be a lot of things going on at home you know nothing about! Growing up I could never have friends stay or go anywhere with us! My birthday partys were never at home and my father never attended them! There was a secret I did not know till I was grown! My father was on a list that wasn’t public back then…I rather my kids be with me and not with anyone else for that reason!

4 Likes

Wow. We dont do the tit for tat. I dont bring my kids friends or cousins along so their parents do the same. I do it to keep my kids happy. Stop being petty

15 Likes

It’s not a big deal. Saying something may harm your daughter more than help. Your daughter may end up with no friends at all
No one is asking you to take the friend to do fun things, so quit if it bothers you that much.

6 Likes

A 7 year old is a handful as it is, maybe shes just not comfortable yet as a mom watching over another little kid that is not her own. If the girls were older I’d have a different perspective but at that age you’re asking alot for someone to babysit your kid for free. I’d let it go! As the girls get older they will naturally want to get together and are more independent and mature so the family may feel more comfortable.

2 Likes

I had a friend, and our children became friends (both my children are adults now). It was said by my friend, “Hey, we love S. We really do. But Sunday is always family day, and we only do things with the five of us. Please don’t hate us, that’s what we do” It could be your daughter’s friend’s family is the same way. Or it could be a matter of money. Just because it “looks” like they have money, doesn’t necessarily mean they have enough, even for one more person. Just let them chill and hang out and keep doing what you’ve been doing. It’s not another family’s obligation to bring their children’s friends along.

4 Likes

They probably just don’t feel comfortable with the extra kids or they simply don’t want the extra hassle, I wouldnt want my kid there of it were me

1 Like

Maybe they have it rough at home worry about what youre doing not them

2 Likes

Some parents are more reserved. Don’t compare families and have fun your family’s way . Everyone is different

5 Likes

I have the worst anxiety when my kids have friends over or I have other children in my car. What if my house catches fire? What if I get in a car wreck? What if, what if, what if? My husband thinks I’m crazy but I don’t even like listening to the radio with other kids in my car. :woman_shrugging:t3:

8 Likes

I think the only thing that will ruin the friendship is you over analysing the situation instead of having a conversation at the other parents? Cutting down your daughters and the other child’s play time sounds like a punishment your trying to enforce on the parents to make a point?

4 Likes

The other family can’t read your mind and it’s beyond silly to assume they will be just like you, think like you, and know what you’re thinking. It’s often a hard lesson for you but shouldn’t be for the kids.

2 Likes

Closed mouths don’t get fed. Why don’t you just ask them yourself? It’s not rude to wonder why, be straight up about it.

1 Like

Maybe they just aren’t comfortable with others tagging along. Maybe they just want family time. I say get over it.

4 Likes

As long as your daughters happy, who cares?
You want to limit her time with her best friend because Your feelings are hurt?
Let’s think about that for a minute

10 Likes

Some of my best childhood memories was trips I took with my friends families. Please don’t ask why, it will mean so much to this child.

2 Likes

Im the person who takes everyone’s kids.The more the merrier. We’ve had Slumber Parties with 16 girls…taken friends on vacation and no-one ever has to ask me if they can bring an extra kid to events…they know the answer is always yes…and Im always prepared. Having said that …not everyone is a kid person. Not everyone can handle it. It definitely shouldnt be tit for tat. Dont ruin her friendship over it…everyone isnt the same and thats ok.

10 Likes

I wouldn’t be bothered …its not like you should be expecting it anyway…
Your daughter lives her friend for her .not for what you think.her parents should or shouldn’t be doing …just worry about what you do with your child and her guess .
Anx not even mentioned. It to the other parents how embarrassing for you if they say oh we didn’t realise you expect that off us …

2 Likes

You’re making it about you…not the children.

8 Likes

I’m the opposite. I don’t like my kids going to other people’s houses or out with them. The thought of my daughter around a grown man that I don’t personally know or older male siblings (potentially without the mother home) makes me uncomfortable and I don’t like other people driving my kids around in their car. It’s not to say I’ll never allow it but as of now my 8 year old and 10 year old have not been over to friends houses outside of birthday parties unless I have a solid friendship with the parents.

14 Likes

You can’t just expect people to want to do things with your kids regardless of what you do for theirs. Get over it…:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Don’t take your daughter’s friend away.
As harsh as it sounds, they don’t owe you anything.

6 Likes

Don’t push it. Respect their boundaries.

4 Likes

I say stay outta your 7 year old’s friendships. If she’s not concerned then you don’t need to be either. It’s not about you. Get over it.

5 Likes

Growing up, literally all of my friends parents never took me anywhere and it didn’t phase me. My mom took my friends if I wanted to spend time with them. It’s just really up to the parent, I wouldn’t take it to heart and certainly not say anything to jeopardize their friendship. It’s none of your business.

2 Likes

Maybe they don’t have enough seatbelts for an extra kid :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

Does the friend have other siblings? I have 4 kids, I will send my kids to their friends house ALL THE TIME… but I do not ever invite them, only because I have more then I can handle and don’t wanna show my crazy self in front of their friends lol.

I’d leave it alone…

8 Likes

It’s not important who has who or invites who. As long as they are best friends I’d keep it the way it is. It could end up ending their friendship if you push the other parents. You could perhaps out of the blue mention “oh so I heard you are going to blah blah blah, my daughter says she would love to go with blah blah.” I don’t know how they would pan over but doesn’t hurt to try.

You need to get over yourself and let the children be children. Just because you invite others doesn’t mean all families do that. If my children were small nowadays I wouldn’t invite other children due to the fact that everyone is so butt hurt about this and that it just not worth it. I’m sure the parents have their reasons. Leave it alone

6 Likes

They probably have some reason for not doing it.
My youngest had a friend and he always goes to his house and does stuff with them.
I, however, do not take the other kid with us or invite him over. One because he is too damn hyper. And two the kid and my older son have problems with each other and don’t get along.
So if my son wants a friend that can’t get along with his brother in his own house then he can go to his friends house.

Also I feel this about how I invite others over all the time to our house and we never get invites BUT in the end I’d rather have visitors and good times than lose them.

I say get over yourself. As many other people said you shouldn’t expect it just because you do it. Don’t talk to the parents what if they stop letting their daughter hangout with yours because you expect something unrealistic? The kids are happy and making so many memories. Let it be. You do you. It’s none of your business what goes on in someone else home anyway. Do they come ask you why you take their daughter? No? Oh well ok then…

3 Likes

I don’t invite my kids friends over because we have more dogs than the average family and refuse to allow accidents. Few years ago had a near accident and once was all it took to stop others from being invited. Period.

She’s seven :face_with_raised_eyebrow: i would just stay out of it lol. How do you know money’s not an issue?? Or the issue in general. Maybe there is things you don’t know & that’s why your daughter doesn’t go over.

5 Likes

They may not like to be responsible for a child that’s not theirs. They may not feel comfortable with someone else’s kid in their house you really never know the situation. Maybe their OCD and don’t like company. Do they ask you to talk her? Do they push their kid off on you? Not to sound harsh but no one owes anyone explanations sometimes people have quirks and sometimes people like to spend their free time with their kids and their family’s alone.

5 Likes

My daughter had a friend and they were pretty close at one time. My daughter spent the night at her house a few times. Then my daughter said she wanted her to stay here. Ok cool.
No, the mom of the girl said she had to come inspect our home. As if it weren’t good enough.
Needless to say that friendship is no longer as strong. And the mom and I do not speak.
Don’t think you’re better than us, nor that my house isn’t good enough for your child. :roll_eyes:

My son’s BFF invites him over all the time. He’s an only child. I don’t invite kids over. I’m a single mom, work a lot, and when I’m home I don’t want an extra kid at my house.

4 Likes

So you’re going to stop your daughter from seeing her friend just because her friends parents don’t invite your daughter to do things? Wow.

4 Likes

I don’t invite my children’s friends very often. The kids are great but to be honest I only get quality time with them on the weekend and when they are with me I want to bond with only them. during the week I’m running around and trying to get things together.

Plus I have 3 kids, I’m already exhausted not sure if I want to add to the chaos

6 Likes

Some other parents are stressed or truly not into entertaining other peoples kids. Our neighbors freak out when anyone walks on their grass! Can you imagine friends over for their kids waking on their grass! :woman_facepalming::flushed::joy:. Believe me, it’s not you or your daughter, it’s them. :wink:

1 Like

I would never allow my 7 year old to travel with other people i barely know 2 years isn’t a long time to know someone. Especially because you haven’t really known the parents for 2 years they’ve been in your life here and there but not as an ongoing relationship . I also wouldn’t want to he responsible for someone elses children maybe you’re comfortable taking care of other people’s children but others may not . too many things could go wrong

3 Likes

I say just leave it alone and let the kids be friends the way it is now. You say something and it might make that friendship break and that’s on you.

If they aren’t inviting her over, there is a reason, and you shouldn’t push it. Let it be. My friend’s dad was an alcoholic. She came to my place and I never went to hers. My mom took us places. Her mom didn’t. Saying anything will only hurt the kids.

5 Likes

Are they doing activities with/taking other people’s children or is it just their family? It makes total sense if they do activities and dont bring along anyone beside their own children. If you see them with other little friends then id be offended. Otherwise just let them be. Maybe theyre not comfortable being responsible for other people’s kids.

1 Like

I agree, when we take our daughter’s friend with us. We never expect it to be returned. At first I thought why, do they not like my kid etc. But some parents are not comfortable being responsible for another child, which I respect. I never take her friends anywhere far. Because I dont think I could handle the guilt if anything happened and their parents couldnt get there within 15 minutes. But I dont think it’s fair for everyone to tell this mom to get over it. Be nice. She is asking a question, not a judgement

2 Likes

I went to my friends’ houses but I rarely invited them to our house because my father was moody and hated having guests over.
Maybe one of the parents is like my dad. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

This is a friend of your daughters, not a custody case. It’s really materialistic of you to threaten your daughter with time away from her friend because of some off the wall mentality you have

4 Likes

Exactly how do you know their finances.

I feel bad for your child, how many friends is she going to go through because their parents are reciprocating what you are VOLUNTARILY doing for her friend?

Also, as someone from a verbally and at times physically abusive home, I hated having my friends over. You dont know what’s going on in their home and saying something snarky about how they never invite your kid over or take her places, might prompt backlash to her, a 7 year old child.

6 Likes

That’s it!

Go to the girls mom and knock that momma straight ass out.

Just kidding!

SIMPLE ANSWER

DO IT ANYWAY! Give anyway. In the grand scheme of things you’ll never have to answer for giving :v::heart:

2 Likes

You’re over thinking this

Dont say a word. Shes SEVEN!!! I know as parents/moms we just want our kids to have friends and to be loved but it is definitely not your place to start asking questions as to how they spend their time or money. Maybe suggest a sleepover IF your daughter even wants to go over with said friend but once again shes SEVEN. Dont be petty and keep her away. Kids dont understand the value of money to care enough in that instance. Kids are happy just being around each other. Friendship doesnt mean money has to be spent to have fun reguardless how old they are.

1 Like

Just because they have money to do things as a family doesn’t mean they have the money to invite more people. She is 7! That doesn’t even seem old enough to worry about these things. I don’t think I would let my 7 year old go by himself to do things with his friends family.

4 Likes

Some families aren’t like yours, I regularly had four children at our home with my two, the parents of the other children did not reciprocate. Doesn’t mean anything bad, perhaps they just aren’t social.

5 Likes

I think you’re being ridiculous. Just because you let her friends in your house doesn’t mean it’s a requirement for the friends’ parents to have people in their home. No one owes you a visit to THEIR house, and I sure hope you don’t ruin your daughter’s friendships over something so petty.

5 Likes

But on the subject of kids and friends. My daughters 8 and just had her first school friend sleepover a few weeks ago. Me and my husband use to be friends with her friends day back in school… I’m 1000% okay with having sleepovers at our house, but I CAN NOT allow myself to let her stay at a friend’s house :speak_no_evil:

2 Likes

My kids go to friends’ house way more than here. We have 5 kids and most of their friends are only siblings or have 1 sibling. So my kids prefer to get break. Plus our house is small and a fixer upper. So as much as i love it and the almost 4 acres, i am a little embarrased as to some of the projects we have to do. It might be something like that or like others said, sometimes people don’t want to have a kid over for fear of something happening.

I used to go places with my friends and their families, but I was never allowed to bring friends with me places because my father was an alcoholic and my mother an addict. They were wealthy, dad a business owner and my mother a college professor and RN who was loved at the local hospital, college, and church. :purple_heart: not everything is as it seems from the outside!

7 Likes

Soooooo I might be guilty of this & it’s because said child is kinda off the hook.

3 Likes
  1. all y’all PLEASE review the your/you’re rule.

2. to the OP: don’t stress, I understand completely. Let the kids work it out, truly. If they are both happy…no sweat :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Some people do not like to take other people’s kids out. Personally I’m not comfortable caring for my friends kids or taking them with us anywhere without my friend there. You need to respect that. My friend is ALWAYS offering to take my kids with them and I’m not comfortable with that either so I do not let them go. However, it seems that you ask to take her daughter and she allows it. She didnt ask you to take her daughter, so you have no reason to be upset or expect her to take your kid anywhere with them. Unless she did ask you to take her daughter.

2 Likes

Maybe cut back on taking your daughter out with her friend and just take her. If she wants to be with her friend then let them hang out at home. Atleast you won’t feel sad that your the only parent going all out for your daughter and friend.
P.s your doing a great job mama Nevermind the negative comments.

1 Like

You have to make it ok for you so your daughter will be okay with it if she ever even notices. It will only become an negative if mama makes it one.It is not about your family it is about their family.Its all good and a negative judgement might hurt your daughter.

We have kids over all the time. I don’t mind having extra kids over as it keeps my kids busy and I don’t have to hear " I’m bored" all day. Andy kids play like kids should more when they have friends over. I don’t let mine go anywhere!!! I don’t trust people to look after my children as good as I do. I don’t smoke, drink, I don’t give my kids a bunch of candy and it irritates me when people give them these things. And I don’t want anyone smoking or drinking around my children but I can’t be like ya my kid can come over as long as you don’t do this or that or as long as you don’t give them this or that. I feel alot better if I can see my children.
So basically some people do things differently than others and that’s ok. Of I were you I’d be happy they let her friend over. It shouldn’t be about well we take her kid now it’s their turn to take our kid. If it’s something that has to be forced it’s probably not a good idea for your child to be over there. No need to stop a friendship over it.

1 Like

Entitled much? Just because you’re generous with their daughter doesn’t mean they have to reciprocate that. :roll_eyes:

14 Likes

You’re being a little extreme. It’s your child’s good friend…stop keeping score of what you invite her to versus what they invite your child to. We all know people who live in hell but try to make their life look fabulous on social media. You don’t know their true situation. Money isn’t everything, maybe the friend’s Mom is in an abusive relationship or something or maybe they aren’t as financially stable as you think. We truly never know what people are going through so just be thankful you’re able to invite her friend along instead of waiting on reciprocation.

9 Likes

Dont take it out on the kids, just accept it for what it is. If you’re friends on Facebook maybe you can make a hint to her on one of her family outting like “looks like so much fun so and so loves doing that, maybe next time she can tag along I’m sure the girls would love that”

5 Likes

My kids have friends over constantly. We take them places with us and do things with them. I dont expect anything in return. Some families dont have the extra $$$ to take friends on trips with them. Some families have other issues that prevent them from having kids over (maybe one of the parents or siblings has a chronic illness or something and they keep it private)

1 Like

Some people are just like that. :woman_shrugging: They don’t want or don’t think about taking friends a long to events. Sure it’s a bummer but they probably aren’t doing it to be rude.

2 Likes

Your child is not their obligation

2 Likes

Social media family and real life family are two totally different realities! Maybe her home life is not as it appears and the little girl doesn’t want your daughter to know.

3 Likes

Over thinking might have anxiety might be hoarders you don’t know what does it matter don’t punish them because youve got a bee in your bonnet about something so petty!!

I think before everyone gives their self entitled opinion there’s more to be asked. Like has your daughter said anything about that? Does your daughter feel comfortable enough to even go over there? Have you talked with your daughter about how you feel cuz you can easily just let her know that you’re not always gonna take her friends out and honestly if anyone should say anything your daughter can ask her friend herself why she never invites her as girls believe me they talk and girls mature and think ahead quickly and early in life you should never address her parents about this at all because then it seems like you invite their daughter in hopes they will invite yours and then that’s not really doing it out of love for the kids that’s doing things in hopes it’s reciprocated and that’s using the kids as a pawn so start in your household by finding out if your daughter even has any feelings about that they are very young at only 7 years old most kids only hang out at birthday parties and sleepover parties at that age and most kids don’t even feel comfortable being away from home long without their parent that small also

3 Likes

My son is 18 & my daughters are 8 & 9. When my son was little we had a very active friend group, the boys always had sleepovers etc. I was a very young mom & overheard them talking shit about me, my parenting, my job & my (now ex) husband. So now that’s me, I’m that mom. I freak tf out when it comes to talking to other parents. My anxiety kicks in, and I’ll cry if it’s pushed. It’s not that I don’t want them to come, I do, I just can’t handle the parents
Text me, pm me & ask if we’re doing anything fun, your kid can totally come along. I just don’t/ won’t initiate & won’t fake friendship with parents I don’t know

3 Likes

Maybe your family is the kids’ chance to get away a bad situation at home.

2 Likes

Don’t change your heart bc of crappy people. Your daughter will miss out.

2 Likes

My crazy cousin does this to her daughter just to be mean to her. She’s psycho and she gets off on controlling people and making them miserable. Esp her adopted kids.

2 Likes

That was the exact same way it was with both of my daughters. Their friends families never asked my kids to even spend the night. It was aggravating but it didn’t stop us from having a good time with my daughters and their friends.

I would probably have a conversation with the parents about it…it sounds a bit strange

Suck it up, buttercup.
Don’t ruin your daughters friendship…

4 Likes

Everyone’s home and personal life isn’t the same. I had a disabled bother i didn’t tell everyone why they couldn’t come over. I wasn’t embarrassed but did want feel to pitied

1 Like

My grandma always said don’t give and don’t do unless it’s coming from the heart and you are not expecting something in return

10 Likes

I would call that a fake friend but the child doesn’t understand so fake parent friends lol. my entire childhood that was how it was. My “best friend” would never invite me over, I went over there maybe once and was never invited to birthday parties or anything.

1 Like

Maybe they just don’t want to deal with another person’s kid. Maybe they just don’t have the patience for it like you do, kids can get very rambunctious and try to show off when their friends are around.

6 Likes

Maybe ask if they would like to get together for a dinner or even a little get together, show that you want to have some type of friendship with them and if nothing changes afterwards I would push it to much. Some people aren’t comfortable with “family friendships”.

Question, do they invite other children not your daughter? If they do then maybe There is an issue. Also, you may be actually very lucky your daughter doesn’t get invited over. Sometimes you really dont know what goes on behind closed doors.

9 Likes