My doctor wasn't happy that I didn't get a pap smear: Advice?

Also since you just had a baby it would be wise to check that everything is fine as in nothing was left inside like bits of placenta. Beside checking for cancer or fibroids.
It don’t think it’s a violation of privacy. Dr. Is looking out for your best interest. It often is painless and quick process.

But your choice.

1 Like

Get it. If not for it I wouldn’t have known I had cervical cancer

2 Likes

So now you know more than the doctors do… please post your degree… :woozy_face::woozy_face::woozy_face: better hope you don’t ever have cervical cancer with that mindset cause you wouldn’t find out til it was too late !!!

2 Likes

A doctor can drop you for not getting testing done. You need to get the Pap smear. I had a Pap smear done while I was pregnant. It was not as bad as I thought. Cervical cancer and other risks are not worth skipping a Pap smear. The doctor should not have shamed you, and that’s inappropriate. They should have educated you on why it was necessary

2 Likes

I am really good at a lot of things. I am educated about a lot of things…and those are the things I stick to. I let others who are educated in their things help me take care of my things. Why bother going to a doctor at all if you know better?

2 Likes

Is this real life??? I was all for not getting pap smears mainly because of the lack of INS. luckily I ended up getting pregnant with my second child and getting one done and finding out that I had stage 3 cells growing on my cervix… Had I not had that pap smear by now it would have been full on cancer… Paps tho uncomfortable are necessary… That’s why your doctor was pushing the importance… I don’t think you were shamed or any type of policies were violated…

3 Likes

Pap smears are necessary just like mammograms. Take care of yourself ladies.

3 Likes

Pap smears save lives

As a cancer survivor I encourage all women to get a get a pap smear & checkup.

3 Likes

I had abnormal cells as a teenager and it was terrifying because my mother had precancerous cells at the same age as me. Definitely medically necessary. I’d much rather know for sure that I don’t have any type of precancerous or cancerous cells. They really aren’t that bad and after having my babies and having many different doctors and nurses check me my ob isn’t invading any of my privacy. Granted I have always been induced and I usually labor for a week before giving birth…. so my experience is different.

How did she shame you?! By saying it was important and all women should have them done for preventative measures?! I do believe that’s her job! She wasn’t shaming you. And if she did somehow, then shame on her. It’s your choice, even if she knows it’s not the right choice. I’m with your Dr tho, it’s a pretty important thing to do when your a woman, it can and has saved many many lives!

1 Like

Listen to your doctor pap smears are so important. I get it done every year. Idk why you wouldn’t think pap smears are not important.

yes paps are very important thank got i get mine done , if i didnt i wouldnt be here today my tests came back mildly abnormal so i had to be screened for 2 years just to make sure it didnt turn in to cancer you dont get check you dont find out with it un treated you die your choice but i choose to live

You got a lot of growing and learning to do

5 Likes

This is literally the stupidest thing I have saw on Facebook today. Congratulations. :trophy:

4 Likes

As a 30 year old woman who thought the same thing, I’m going to tell you GET CHECKED. I was 26 years old when I got a pap after skipping a few because I thought they were pointless since I had not changed partners. At 26 I found out through a pap that I had adenocarcinoma insitu. A cone biopsy revealed that I had cervical cancer. My diagnosis was adenocarcinoma 1a1 and the cone biopsy did not get clear margins. I had to have a modified radical hysterectomy where I THANKFULLY was able to keep my ovaries but that is all. Had I waited to be checked it could have been much worse. Do not toy with the chance of cancer it benefits no one.

3 Likes

It’s completely your choice :woman_shrugging:t3:of course the Dr is going to disagree. Just take care of yourself.

1 Like

You delivered a baby, sprawled wide open for the whole world to see for more than two minutes and you’re worried about being exposed to getting a Pap smear? It’s called preventative medicine and could save your life early on. You do you. 

5 Likes

I’d say get the pap smear. I believe lives have been saved because women have taken precautions before trouble begins.

2 Likes

This has got to be a joke?

2 Likes

WoW! :roll_eyes: It is medically necessary! Where did you get your information that “rarely” nothing is found with Pap Smears? I guess you can see inside yourself and determine all is good :roll_eyes: Have it done! It may save your life one day!!

1 Like

Ummmm get it. There’s lots that can be wrong especially after a baby.
I had precancerous cells at age 23 that had to get removed by laser surgery. If I didn’t get my pap I wouldn’t have known.

The doctor was doing her job by trying to educate you, and I’m not sure where you get your info because no matter how many “normal” Pap smears you have, the next one can show a problem. But that’s your decision to make if you don’t want to go

1 Like

Why wouldn’t you get one? Sounds pretty immature and irresponsible to me.

3 Likes

How do you know nothing is wrong if you do not get it checked?

It’s very important to get those !! After I had my son I did a pap and abnormal cells were found I had cervical cancer .

1 Like

Pap smears are medically necessary.

3 Likes

I have to get them every 6 months because I have abnormal cells

1 Like

It’s actually something that needs to get done, especially after having a baby. Your doctor just wants to make sure everything is fine

1 Like

I see the doctor once a year, rarely see her in-between each visit. After I had several with no issues she went to every other visit and told me if I fee I want one every to just let her know. She is right it is really quick and painless and could save your life, and we’ll if you have a daughter can also help her in the future so they know to watch for. But please since you know so much more than a doctor in this situation take your life in your own hands.

1 Like

You’re a mom now. Buckle up for a lifetime of privacy invasion. :joy:

Ps. Your reproductive health is very important. Get the pap.

9 Likes

It’s actually contraindicated to have a smear post birth as it can return a false result. Worrying

Your doctor works for you, which means you can fire them at anytime and get another doctor. You should have a doctor you feel comfortable discussing your care wiry.

Please get the exam and be grateful they find nothing. I’m on my second round of chemo/ radiation in 6 years because of pelvic cancer. It took surgery to find it but thank God I persisted. It has spread to my liver, lungs and lymph nodes around my trachea. Do the simple exam for peace of mind.

I think you’re thinking is wrong, your doctor is correct. “Women’s health” as a whole is medically necessary.

3 Likes

Cervical cancer is a sneaky thing and often found in Pap smears

8 Likes

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

5 Likes

It is very important to get your pap done. :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

Cervical cancer is one of the top killers of women in the world especially where women don’t have access to gynecologic care and specifically, pap smears. You have access–get the pap smear and don’t be an idiot.

4 Likes

Getting my pap saved my life at 17 when they found cancerous cells on my cervix, you have a lot of growing to do and now your a mom… get the pap keep yourself healthy not for yourself but for your little one

1 Like

How positive are you that you are not one of the few that has something wrong? Pretty big gamble.

1 Like

Is necessary! But you the one who decides if you want it done or not.

Now a days you are only supposed to get one every few years

I think you’re over reacting, as someone who works for an ob/gyn office they’re very important, especially after birth.

2 Likes

I got a pap and found early stage cervical cancer.

1 Like

It’s definitely medically necessary. It’s preventative care… It really is over very quickly. Better to be safe that finding out you have stg 4 cervical cancer :weary: They are currently recommended at least once every 3 years unless there is a personal or family history of cancer. I would 1000% not skip it.

I’m not sure how common it is but after my Pap smear they found pre-cancerous cells that they were able to freeze off. If they weren’t frozen off, most likely would have turned into cervical cancer. Paps are a good preventative measure against cervical cancer

I had abnormalities on my first first smear and my 3rd you should get it done.

I agree with everyone saying that a pap smear is medically necessary. The reason why doctors advise us women to get them done is so that way if something like cancerous cells or a cyst shows up, the doctors can say and do something on our behalf.

As a cancer survivor I can tell you the sooner you know and the sooner you get treated the better the outcome is!!! Be there for your baby!!

2 Likes

I had cervical cancer TWICE. The second time was right after giving birth to my son. While pregnant, your human growth hormones are working like crazy and can cause cancer cells to grow out of control. Your doctor is absolutely correct. You should 100% have this done on a yearly basis. No one likes doing them but they are necessary to save lives. You have to take care of yourself, if not for you, for your baby.

2 Likes

Didn’t she just deliver your baby? She’s there for medical reasons not for fun. I can see if you were sexually assaulted/harassed by this Dr than sure file the complaints call the police get a new dr! But if she’s just doing a routine check up to see how you are healing you need to do it!

1 Like

Western women and their idea that someone is out to get them. Cervical cancer is on the rise and you think your doctor is invading your privacy??? So many young women are presenting with cancers and the only thing you are upset about is she really wanted you to have one?

3 Likes

It’s a necessary procedure

2 Likes

See if you’re ever diagnosed with cervical cancer you’ll probably be blaming the doctor for not advising you enough to get a smear done.

3 Likes

Just do it not a big deal

1 Like

every 5 years I believe though it could be 3 these tests are not done for the fun of it but to catch any problem at an early onset - I hope you will take full responsibility for your non action if the worst should happen?

We only get one vagina. So I go for yearly exams, just to make sure it’s in the utmost pristine condition. Always get told it’s happy and healthy. Definitely don’t need an angry one. 

It is medically necessary. I would never of known I had cancer without one

5 Likes

It is medically necessary, if I didn’t have my. Pap smear done I would have never known I had pre cancerous cells, if I never had the procedure to remove them I could have had cancer by this point.

1 Like

Wish my daughter went she might be here today

5 Likes

Pap smears can show issues you weren’t aware of, however if you don’t like the Dr or feel comfortable with them then I suggest getting a different one. Paps ARE good to have and honestly NOT all are painless. I have had a Dr pinch me bad with the equipment so I never went to that Dr again. Got a new one that was better. However, all paps to me have always been a little painful and uncomfortable. That said it is best to get one and KNOW than to stay in the dark.

I didn’t have a papsmear for 3 years. When I finally had one, I had cervical cancer. Get the freaking test done you Gordon Ramsey sandwich. Its to help make sure and find early, preventable from spreading stages of cervical cancer. I was literally 1 day over 23 having a total hysterectomy.

Oh lawd! Then die of cancer and don’t cry when you get a diagnosis for something you could of prevented. So much ignorance in this post, it’s disturbing.

2 Likes

My best friend found out she has cervical cancer when she had her Pap smear done… definitely not pointless.

You, my dear… holy shit lol.
They ARE medically necessary. So many things that go wrong so quickly…

Your body your decision. The Doctors are always pushing different test on people. I don’t agree with the majority of them. I don’t trust Doctors anymore. One doctor told me I was a diabetic. I told him I had a piece of candy before I came in, and he told me that it didn’t matter. He gave me pills and told me to check my blood sugar everyday. When I got the pills, it said do not take if you have a kidney illness. I’ve been going to this doctor for at least 15 years and he knew I had a kidney illness. It could have caused sever damage. All he said was not to take them. He should have never prescribed them and it turned out, I was not a diabetic. There are other situations from other doctors as well. I haven’t had a Pap smear in a very long time and that’s my preference. Make your own choice I say.

Well since it can catch cancer in early stages you should have it done but ya know to each their own I guess!

Pap smears are extremely important in ruling out cervical cancer, which they can find early and it can be treated before it progresses. Their aren’t any symptoms until it’s well advanced. These exams have saved so many women’s lives. It’s not for ‘no reason’.

1 Like

you are ridiculous hahaha
dramatic aren’t you?
it IS medically necessary you idiot
like wow - grow up

1 Like

That’s your doctors job to educate you.

U need to do more research and she has said nothing wrong… your privacy was violated when u had the baby and they were checking u every few hours to see ur progress. In the end,it’s your body and you can’t hold the doctors responsible when u at a stage 4 cancer ! Good luck

1 Like

:woman_facepalming: it’s absolutely necessary

1 Like

If you could get something done to prevent cancer that takes like 5 minutes, why wouldn’t you? I also don’t agree it’s an invasion of privacy! They do it in your best interest. It’s not like they get excited or enjoy looking up there. Pap smears save so many peoples lives

3 Likes

As a women that had a leep done please check yourself. Don’t be stupid, it can save your life

4 Likes

It is medically neccessary… I would never have known about my issues without one. It has caught it multiple times when there were very few other sypmtoms

1 Like

Are you serious? You don’t think checking for abnormal cells and such for potential cancer is necessary? Say that to all the females who develop cervical cancer. You just had a baby, meaning your entire downstairs business was front page news for everyone in that room but a Pap smear is an invasion of privacy? You need to reevaluate your priorities there momma. Wow!!!

10 Likes

People really are ignorant. And they are having babies!! :woman_facepalming:t2:

Didn’t know I had cancer cells until after our daughter was born. They froze and cut. Now with our son they found it while pregnant but kept and eye on it. Same with our youngest, I use to say the same thing until they found it after our oldest. After that I had to go every 6 months as precaution. Fast forward to when our youngest was 3 and I had a partial hysterectomy and I still have to go every now and then just to make sure everything is fine.
Never assume because I never felt different when the cells were present. If I hadn’t of gone no telling what could’ve happened to me

I had my first one a few weeks back and I didn’t feel anything it really is quick I would advise to get one, obviously it’s your choice but as the saying goes better safe than sorry xx

Mine found cervical cancer when I was 30 and I had no idea. Very important to het done

2 Likes

I wish my cousin wouldn’t have missed her pap. She might still be here today if they had been able to detect the cancer sooner. :pensive:

3 Likes

A regular check up pap is the reason I found out I had cervical cancer at just 28 years old. Think again about your check up as 40 years later I am still here.

4 Likes

Those Pap smears are important to check things down there! They rule out a lot of stuff just get it done you making bigger then what it is :roll_eyes:

1 Like

quite a few cancers of the cervix are found this way and you have no other way of knowing as there are no symtoms on some of them.

5 Likes

There are so many people who don’t get checked until it’s too late. This is to find precancerous cells, cancer, amongst other things it’s uncomfortable and can be painful but unfortunately it’s important. No judgement just want you to be careful those babies need their momma.

Not really!!! In my case I know that a Dr. Have more acknowledge than me , if she / he suggests something I will it , specially when it can prevent or catch a early stage of any conditions.

She didn’t violated your privacy , it’s their job to educate their patients

2 Likes

They went from every year to every two unless there’s a prior history where I’m from. I see them as necessary. I know many women who have found cancerous cells, and STIs they didn’t know they had from getting them done. Especially post baby, it can show numerous risks, change in cells, change in physiology, infections, irritations etc. you deeming it not medically necessary doesn’t make it so. That’s an opinion in which you are entitled to but will be standing pretty alone with. While it’s uncomfortable I would agree that it’s not painful. Labor is painful lol :joy: infections down there can be painful, complications of STI/STDs can be painful, having to have your cervix removed or any other reproductive organ removed due to infection or cancer is painful, chemo treatments can be painful…basic pap? Uncomfortable at best. This also just means if you did end up with any issues that can cause permanent damage or lifelong complications it is solely your fault for going against a doctor’s recommendations. If you’re unhappy with your doctors verbiage or practice then find a new doctor who better aligns with your beliefs and feelings towards procedures and preventative care.

2 Likes

When you’ve watched someone die from cervical cancer that could have been caught by a pap smear, you learn not to think such idiotic and uneducated thoughts.

3 Likes

Lol :joy: seriously :unamused:

What You’re calling is “Shame”
It’s called medical advice…
And yes it’s 100% Medically necessary ?? 
YOU JUST HAD A baby… :roll_eyes::face_with_hand_over_mouth: what the hell is wrong with you seriously…
your uterus just went through 10 months of continuous change… and you don’t think it’s medically necessary to be checked out???

5 Likes

That faster you get it done and over with the better. That’s how they tell if you have growths or not. Most exposed body part on a women and they need to monitor it for your safety. No one likes getting them I dread them honestly but just have it done then you don’t have to worry about another one for a while

2 Likes

I saw recommendations about her and gave her a try. I’m proud to tell the world that Veronika filina and her trading platform are all so real and legit
@Redirecting...

If I wouldn’t have had a papsmear they wouldn’t have found the precancerous lesion on my cervix and be able to remove it so I can be around my kiddos for as long as possible. You’re being ridiculous

4 Likes

It is necessary which is why your doctor is having a hard time understanding why you refuse to get one, i always accept a pap smear for health reasons, i rather they find something sooner and treat it quickly rather then later and the outcome being worse🤷‍♀️

1 Like

My gyno told me I didn’t have to come back for five years. :astonished: Last pap smear was in 2020 and I’ll be 40 this year but definitely plan on trying to keep up with them every 2 years.

I thought it was a pain in the ass too until they found pre-cancer cells. Thankfully I had agreed to the pap to find them! I had it removed and I’m good for another few thousand miles.

I just had a PapSmear done, I didn’t want to but knew it was necessary. It helps to have a doctor that your comfortable with… sometimes there is pain and discomfort but I look at it like this “better safe than sorry”.

Girl, it is important! who told you it wasnt? Get your lady parts checked it could save your life.

2 Likes

What are you talking about?!? That’s fine if you wanna die from cancer but some of us would like to have a heads up and treatment that will hopefully work. No one violated you it the doctors responsibility to make sure you are aware of the procedure and risks of getting it or not getting it. They did their due diligence. You know hormones can make some cancers grow more rapidly right?

1 Like

Soooooo as a 46 year old I can tell you I look forward to that test and the results every year. Once you have cancer or growths or anything big found and removed and go through treatment - it changes your perspective on these tests. My mother had cancer and a full hysterectomy at 35. I had a melon sized cyst removed at 20. I just had the most painful 4 part biopsy done last week of my life. Why? Cancer. And monthly they have to test for 2 years.

It just differently once they find an issue. Age means zero in womens reproductive issues and cancers anymore. It’s not just for old women. In your post to stated very few people find issues which is 100% false.

2 Likes