My dog has become aggressive towards me and my daughter: Advice?

Take him to a trainer. Get him fixed maybe.

Yikes. I’d definitely recommend getting in contact with a trainer. Could be acting out of jealousy but no animal deserves to be abandoned because they need more training. Not to compare pets to kids but if your child all of a sudden was getting aggressive towards you or your new baby, you wouldn’t just get rid of the child. You would get help to fix the situation.
I have a chihuahua and she never got aggressive but did start acting out after my son was born (going to the bathroom in the house, getting into things she never would have before). I just stuck with training her and now 3 years later, she is amazing with the kids.

Try to genuinely make that bond before having the discussion of rehoming. Take 10-20 minutes a day, when your husband is home, and make a real effort at earning the dogs trust and respect. This is two parts beneficial. One, if the dog continues to show aggression towards you while you’re showing consistent (not just a day or two) effort maybe your husband will understand your point of view better. Two, if it works then you have alleviated the issue between you and the dog and you and your husband. I understand your concern for yours and your daughters safety but you may be putting off so much fear and anger towards the dog that they’re just reciprocating those feelings.
If you put up a real effort and you and your husband come to the agreement that the doggo needs to be rehomed then contact local shelters, do your research and make sure the dog doesn’t end up on a kill list. If you choose to privately rehome then ask for vet references and a rehomimg fee.
It’s a tough position to be in, but you need to put in maximum effort before building that wall. Good luck momma :two_hearts:

I love memory care these people are exciting and keep your day alive and moving never know what your gonna get dealing with them I currently work in a memory care unit and love it we do 12’s so keeps the time moving

We had to re-home a pittbull for the same reasons. She was becoming aggressive and possessive and snapping at the baby. I felt bad for finding her a new home but ALL the baby/dog attack stories start with “the dog has never done anything like this before”. I wasn’t willing to risk it. If anything happened to my small ones, there’s no undoing that. The 7 year old and the baby come first. No animal is worth endangering your children. We did, however, keep the dog until we found her a suitable home because I drew the line at dropping her off at a shelter.

My husband knew someone whose dog killed their newborn as soon as they left the room, had the dog for years. Get rid of the dog.

3 Likes

It’s not the dogs fault. So many people fail to see that and just blame the dog for it’s bad behavior anyways as if they are born that way. It’s ignorance. Sounds like lack of training on your end and isolating him in the garage with very little attention makes it worse. He needs to be rehomed to someone who will actually take the time to train and love that dog properly. Don’t expect a dog to automatically know how to be well behaved without any training🤦‍♀️

Well Behaved Pets.com a training group led by a professional dog trainer Esther Marie Wells great help available.

2 Likes

Get a trainer. Give the dog a chance.

I’m so tired of people giving up on their pets like they’re nothing and easily thrown aside. If the trainer doesn’t help, then yes, you have to do something at that point. Just like you might have to think about sending a child somewhere for help if they’re needlessly violent. But don’t just give up on the dog because you haven’t tried anything but expect it to behave (at least, from your post, it sounds like you haven’t done anything).

Get him a good trainer. Take him to the vet to have him checked for potential health issues. Don’t just give up on him without even trying.

2 Likes

Children always comes before dogs!!! Get rid of it to a family with no kids. Everyone saying poor dog give it a chance obviously isn’t reading the same news stories I am of dog attacking and Killing kids!

2 Likes

Get rid of the dog and husband, is this even a question? :persevere: Baby is more important

2 Likes

Maybe he isn’t feeling well or is in pain! That would be the first thing to do, have him checked out medically before you give up on him. They can’t tell you when they hurt, but like humans, their tolerance is short when they are hurting.

2 Likes

To get a dog is to get another member of the family. Dogs are supposed to be treated like another child. And if you don’t do that then you don’t deserve one. If you cannot give the dog proper training and implement the training at home as well then you don’t deserve one. Dogs are loving creatures when trained right and given love and attention. If you can’t give that to the dog then yeah I guess rehome it. You shouldn’t have got it in the first place. Seems your husband is more interested in trying to make the dog feel loved than you are. Dogs are not outside animals and they don’t belong in a garage. You’ve already given up without even trying to do anything real to help.

OMG! You’re willing to continue to trust your life in your child’s life with that dog! Perhaps you need to give him to someone that has lots of time to spend with them! I pray nothing tragic happens! I say get rid of that dog!:thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

So, when you have dogs as pets you have to show you are the Alpha, for males first thing to so is neuter them by the the time they are a year old. I have a 105lb dog, he likes to run off to play (we live in the country) and he will make my kids chase him. This last time, I went out, drove where he was, he thought he was gonna run around and all it took was for me to yell in the most demanding tone, “lay down now”. He stopped dead in his tracks and rolled over exposing his belly, he knew he had fucked up. If you are in constant fear around dogs, you shouldn’t have any in the home. For your safety and theirs.

1 Like

Well Behaved Pets Facebook group. Over 19,000 people that we help one on one. Give it a try

I’m sorry but dogs do not “just snap” or “suddenly change for no reason”. There IS a reason for the behavior, whether you see it/know it or not. See your vet, see a behaviorist (not a trainer… They’re two different things). And your dog treats you like a stranger because YOU ARE ONE to him. He’s locked outside or in the garage and has no time with you. Yet your husband spends time with the dog and there’s no issue.? Just saying, you’re not blameless here and if you wanted a dog, it’s YOUR responsibility to take care of their needs physical and emotional. … And to the people here saying that this dog is going to cause life threatening injuries, it’s a French bulldog!! They’re not very big. It’s like being mauled to death by a house cat. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Sorry to hear your problem…but some dogs even when fixed are still aggressive…mine sure was …the children are priority…you can’t trust the dog…don’t take a chance he will behave when your back is turned!

Well make the dog disappear! Some dogs are not meant to be in a family just like humans are different so are dogs too
I think the dog is jealous of you and ur daughter because your husband spends so much time with him he has become territorial

It sounds like you & your husband need to have an honest conversation about this pup & your lives together as a family calmly.

Dogs don’t just change overnight. That’s unusual behavior for a dog period. I would take the dog to the vet to see if there is underlying cause. But then again, I hear you say, the dog only nips at you. This doesn’t make any sense to me. Did this behavior begin when you became pregnant?

In any case, if you do decide to not want the dog anymore, please Call a Rescue.

I don’t pretend to know your situation, but all this stress is going to effect the baby you’re carrying.

Getting a dog is not as simple as getting one & then wanting to get rid of it out of anger. It’s part of the family not trash. Find out first what’s really going on before you make any final decisions.

I’m sorry your little girl got hurt while biking with daddy. I would have been upset too. I pray she is OK.

You can’t just lock up your dog in the garage. I understand you’re afraid of him or her now, but that’s no way to treat your dog either.

I just pray everything works out for your family🙏

Take him to the vet and explain what he’s doing. I had one like that … now she’s a different dog on medication. It’s worth a try. Shame on everyone who says get rid of him!!! The dog deserves a chance after all you apparently adopted him!!

Rehoming would be my last option first I would have him desexed if not already then a full check up to make sure there is no medical issues then to a dog trainer and I would have the whole family involved in the training sessions so everyone is on the same page if after all that he is still biting then I would look at a rescue to help find a suitable home

Might want to rehome the husband and his dog.

Baby is more important but sounds like a simple training issue. Track that dog what no means. If you feel you won’t be able to (with help from a trainer or not) then get rid of the dog bc it won’t do either of you any good if you won’t follow through with the training. The song thinks it’s in charge. You have to teach it it’s not.

take him for a vet check up as one person already said something could be wrong that’s making him aggressive. if everything is fine at the vet and nothing seems to be bothering him look into dog training. you also might need to show your dog that you are the boss (or your husband needs to show the dog who is boss) eventually the dog will get tired of getting put outside/spanked when acting out. vet first, dog trainer second. but establishing dominance is a must regardless. i don’t really like the idea of putting him in a shelter like someone else said to do. if your husband doesn’t want to rehome him you guys need to talk about figuring out what the issue is. a dog is a big responsibility and you take on a commitment when you get one. the last option should be to get rid of him.