My ex wants to sign over rights for our child: Should I do it?

Signing over your parental rights does not mean you get out of child support.

2 Likes

Idk your states laws but here in Illinois signing over parental rights does not elevate one from Child support. If hes willing to be in your babys life and help financially then absolutely do it. That means you would be solely responsible for his medical and educational needs and every big aspect of the child life. You could move when and where you want and there are many pros to full custody but as a mother of boys… if the man is a decent guy and wants to be a part of your sons life please let him. Custody is just legal stuff, but him being there… boys need a man in thier life.

Theres a difference between full custody and signing away rights…

1 Like

Depends where you are and what he is actually wanting to do! But most places you can’t just decide you don’t want to be a parent anymore 💁🤦‍♀️

Are you on any type of assistance? Insurance, food stamps, etc?

I would check in the state you live in what entails this whole agreement. As the genetic father you may need his information in case of medical emergency. In case of your death…it may have reaching circumstances. In case of… I would check up on it before anything is signed. One protection against losing custody is to not put his name on birth certificate. It does not exclude you from child support but keeps legal issues firmly in your hands. He would need a private DNA test and social security information to put in a claim. It’s kinda crappy but protects against one fear. Also…signing away rights is and should be a thoughtful permanent thing. Right. Just to get out of child support doesn’t hold weight for the whole life of the child. You may or he may want a connection in 10 or so years… or the child wants one?? Its weird to think about but still an issue that may come up.

He will have to pay for child support regardless… and if he signs over rights… it’s better for you. Fuck him

Trying to avoid child support lol punk…

1 Like

You never know what the future holds in regard to your child health. Things you may need help paying for. It is financially hard to raise a child on your own. Should not be your sole responsibility. My daughter has 3 sons and gets no child support. Father is an addict and hasn’t paid in 8 years or held a job. My daughter works so hard and it is unfair. Remember as children grow, it costs thousands for braces, drivers education, car insurance, school activities, nose surgery, band instruments, glasses, school clothes, etc. The list is endless. If the father wants no responsibility that is fine, all the better with that attitude but please do all you can to get the father to responsibly pay for the child he created. 18 years is a long time to do it alone financially.

4 Likes

Weird. As far as where I live you still have to pay or some states won’t let you unless there is someone to adopt to lessen the chance of state assistance.

No he still has to pay child support. My kids father signed his rights thinking he won’t have to pay child support.
No calls no happy birthdays nothing. But I can raise my kids with no drama. It’s hard and heart breaking.

Varies from state to state in ca.you can have sole physical and joint custodial.etc doesnt stop child support.if your aided in anyway by the state foodstamps etc they will go after biological parent for some child support get a hold of your state child support office and ask some questions

Well honestly some state won’t even let a father sign his rights off with out having someone else there to adopt the child, so I wouldn’t get your hopes up to quickly anyways. Seems kind of pointless if he plans to be involved then he should have to help support the baby

2 Likes

This doesnt make sense. It wouldnt even be legal until years of him NOT being INVOLVED. And finanically.speaking he HAS to pay unless you dont want him to but u cant get any food stamps etc without them going after him for child support.u cant just “give up”.rights. what hes saying basically is u get full physical and legal custody which u would anyways not being married. So hes basically looking to not pay which wont fly unless you are financially secure. Talk to a lawyer. They will tell u same thing plus more.

What state??? Just bc you give one parent full custody doesn’t mean you’re not financially responsible… actually it might mean you pay more bc ur not providing physical care…

1 Like

DO IT. Plus, he’ll still have to pay child support BTW

While you’re at it file for child maintenance.

1 Like

Why would he wanna see your son but have no rights to him that makes no sense at all… I wouldn’t let him sign over rights it’s both your kid so he needs to be just as responsible as you are in all aspects

3 Likes

Just don’t put him on the birth certificate and he has no rights to sign over :woman_shrugging: I’d do it. 100%

1 Like

My advise would be to wait. Wait until the baby is born. Let bonds happen naturally if they will. If not then make legal decisions then

My opinion? He wants to sign over rights so you can’t take him to court for child support… he’s no dummy. Think about what’s best for your child. Can you support the baby without financial help? If not, think twice.

1 Like

Just say u don’t know who his father is. And don’t put a name on baby’s birth certificate. Done deal!!

Custody and parental rights are different. He can sign over full custody, baby will be in your care 100% of the time, but he will still have to pay child support.

1 Like

Depending on the state you live in Mother’s automatically have full custody if unwed. When my youngest son was born I was granted full custody by default because his father and I were unwed. I knew who the father was, but I did not list him on the birth certificate. I received Medicaid, food stamps, and cash assistance for the first 6 months of his life until I did not need it anymore and they never required a fathers name on the birth certificate.

No child support from him. My son did same thing I wasn’t in their lives him no support

He can give you full custody with out signing over his rights. However, if he does sign them over, he still has to pay child support until the child is adopted.

1 Like

Don’t do that to yourself. Unless you already own a home, have paid off a car and are financially set and even then, you don’t know what the future holds. Your child can get sick, or you could get sick and not be able to work and your baby’s father won’t care. I for sure know it would be different once he has another kid and does take care of them. You’ll be left wondering why? Do you plan on leaving the country/state more than 5 times a year? Because potentially going out of state in the distant future is no excuse to let him off the hook. What about insurance? Copayment, dental, vision, glasses, little league, laptop for when your child gets older? He won’t fulfill his responsibilities yet he can see him when he wants? And what about when your kid gets older and wants to see his father? This doesn’t make sense to me but it’s your life and your child’s life that will be affected.

Let him sign over physical and legal custody 100%. Then go after him for child support.

2 Likes

Do it! If I could have had that option I would have done it!

1 Like

He wants to sign his rights over but still be in his life, doesn’t that just let him off of child support?

3 Likes

I would do it. If he doesn’t want to be there then let him go and raise your child 100% the way you want to with no interference from him.

1 Like

You having full custody doesn’t negate him from his obligations in the eyes of the law. He will still be responsible for CS if his name is on the birth certificate. The state I live in filed a CS case against my youngest daughters father; the state of Indiana is the plaintiff and we are co-respondents

Check with a lawyer. Some states now still require child support even if rights are handed over.

1 Like

He will still have to pay for your child. Your not married so technically you have full custody anyways unless u guys get a court order saying he has visitations etc.

1 Like

Here’s the thing about signing paternal rights over: it doesn’t work that way. He can sign all of his rights over for you to have full custody but that does not excuse him from your child’s right to have financial support. They don’t allow this to happen anymore. Unless if there is another adult parent willing to adopt child so that there is a two person income. He can’t just choose not to pay by terminating his rights.

2 Likes

cant sign his rights over if he’s not on the birth certificate :woman_shrugging:

No! When he signs over rights…your child loses his rights to inherit anything from him or his grandparents. It also means he has zero obligation to your child. No no heck no. Put that sucker on Child support

1 Like

He is doing that so u can’t put him in child support if he signs over his rights then he has no legal rights to the child

I literally made this exact choice when my son was born, and now, 8 years later, I realize it was one of the worst decisions of my life. So I don’t really have any advice, just experience.

If y’all aren’t together, and he wants to sign over his rights, why will he still be in you lives? Is it because he says that it because y’all work together or something like that? I’m sorry, but if he wants to sign over his rights then he doesn’t want to be a dad at all, so how would your could have 2 separate happy homes? Now if he means full custody & not signing over his rights that different. If he wants to give up all rights, because he don’t want to be financially obligated, if you can make it financially without child support… EVER then I would list the father an unknown on the birth certificate & cut all ties with him!

1 Like

Depends on where you live. Signing over rights doesnt always mean they don’t have to pay child support. You really need actual legal advice in this situation with the no facts you’ve given (residence n stuff)

2 Likes

Get legal advice also his signature of giving full custody.

I think its sad…seems like he just wants out of child support. Have seen this happen and when the child is 18 back comes good ole dad whoes paid zilch to his upbringing…nope

There’s no positive thing for giving up your rights to your child. Giving up your rights is completely different to having custody. Giving up rights means you don’t have any say in your child’s life no child support no access to your child. You don’t want anything to your child. Also if something happens to you then the father will not be allowed to care for his child also if child protection if they come into your life and takes your child away your child will be placed in foster care. Sorry but only dead beat parents sign their rights away. You can make a private agreement between yourself and the father for where the child lives how many days the father can have the child ect

1 Like

He is literally just trying to get out of paying child support

2 Likes

He will still probably have to pay child support. Depends on your state. Soubds like that’s the only reason he wants to sign his rights over

2 Likes

That’s really fishy to me… something doesn’t sound right here…

They will not terminate parental rights through the court unless there is a good reason. Since you’re not married, you share full custody. If he wants to agree for you to have full physical custody, meaning child lives with you, then he would have visitation and y’all would share legal custody. The only real way to make him ‘not responsible’ would be leaving him off the birth certificate. I personally would go for the full custody route, have him pay child support and if you don’t need it, put it in a savings account for the child.

2 Likes

It means he gives up all the equal rights to the child all Financial responsibility for the child means he does not have to pay any insurance for the child it means you sign the papers and he can walk away and your child will have nothing from him I would not agree to it and before you agree to anything you talk to an attorney

4 Likes

Go visit your local court office and ask questions.

You can have full custody and him still have his rights. Hes just trying to get out of child support.

1 Like

If you do this you might as well put the baby up for adoption, take full custody and raise it on your own. get a new Daddy

He wants to have his cake and eat it, too. He wants to see his kid and be a part of his life, without being financially responsible. Stuff. That. Either he has his rights, or he doesn’t. If he signs them away he is no longer the child’s father, and therefore doesn’t get physical rights to the child.

8 Likes

full custody will give you the right to make all medical and educational decisions. you can take the child out of county without having his permission.

1 Like

Well it depends, is he a responsible guy do you really think he will give you support? Just by him saying he gives you full custody just lets you know he does not want the responsibility. If you dont get full custody you’ll probably be chasing him around for child support. So I think it is best to just get the full custody and move on with your life do the best you can. One day you’ll find a nice guy that will be a real father for your kid. Good luck. :heartpulse:

Giving u full custody doesn’t mean he wants to sign his rights over…he could just be saying he trust u as a mom but he would still like visitations

2 Likes

Just bc he signs over his rights doesnt mean he isnt responsible for child support. That all depends on the state you live in and circumstance. I’d get legal advice. If you dont have a lawyer, call one. Most are very willing to just speak to you over the phone to discover If you even truly need a lawyer before they start charging you etc. That’s the first thing I’d do if I were you. DONT EVER SIGN ANYTHING OR PUT ANYTHING IN WRITING until a lawyer has looked it over thoroughly. A bit of advice my father(who’s an attorney) once gave me from a young age. Lol.

What state are you in? I live in Missouri & they wouldn’t let my ex sign his rights unless I had someone to step up & adopt which I did. Anyways he still had to pay all of his back pay child support & it actually paid for the adoption. Long story short he not only signed his rights over on my daughter but he did the same thing to 3 other kids from his previous marriage. Why? Well he’s a worthless pos who didn’t want the responsibility & wanted to get out of the financial responsibility as well. Good luck sweetheart. I wish you the best.

I think having full custody vs terminating rights are different. I thought full custody did not have anything to do with support payments. Terminating all rights to the child would stop any support payments and medical insurance by the man. My son signed over his rights to his daughter so she could be adopted by Ex’s husband. He hadn’t seen her for 11 years and step dad was basically her father. There is more to the story but that is the bottom line. Check the actual facts about full custody. I think you can still get child support.

1 Like

Full custody means you would have all the decision making for your child. He would still have to pay child support. Now if he meant that he wants to give up his parental rights entirely then that means he wouldn’t pay child support and is in no way tied to your child at all.

1 Like

Guys you dont automatically pay child support bc a baby is born. Even if your not married. But if he wants to sign rights away he shouldn’t get to be a father. He shouldn’t be able to have it both ways. I think this should go to booth parents

1 Like

Do not do it…being a single parent is very hard…he needs to help you financially…

1 Like

In some states he will not have parental rights to the child, even if his name is on the birth certificate, until he takes it to court to claim the child or until you complete paternity testing and sue for support. I would not let him skirt financial responsibility if he wants to be active in raising the child. If he wants no contact and no responsibility, by all means let him sign it over. But understand that it leaves you holding the bag for all future expenses. Child care, medical care, education. I would ask for a one time, lump sum payment to be placed in a emergency or education fund as part of a parental severance package.

Most states will not allow one to sign over rights unless your married and that man wants to adopt the child!!

No no no hun. If he is gonna be around hell no!

1 Like

They won’t just let him sign his rights away. They want both parents financing responsible. He want’s free ride no responsibility and still be in your childs life when he feels up to it .

3 Likes

If he still wants to see baby on a daily basis then no he can’t just sign over his rights to avoid paying child support!! He will need to help pay for baby. Either it’s through csa or an agreement by yourselfs , and he may also change his mind after baby comes.

1 Like

He will still want to have say so…trust me! He should be responsible for child support just like you!! Sounds like he’s trying to avoid that. I would just make sure that you are named primary custodian and he gets visitation rights. Also, set up child support through the state pay schedule. Private pay works until it doesn’t, I know this first hand.

1 Like

Sweetie he’s trying to get out of this financially…and still wants to see him, that’s crazy

1 Like

Girl he wants his cake and eat it too! He would have child in his life but never have to pay a dime on taking care of child. It costs a lot to raise a child .

2 Likes

I agree. If he wants to be in your child’s life then he needs to take financial responsibility. It sounds like that’s the reason for this. If he will want to spend time with baby and have a say so in how he is raised then he needs to take on the full burden. Not just leave that to you so he can enjoy only the fun parts. You did not make that baby alone. You do not support him or her alone either.

Sign his rights away he has no legal rights to tat child at all. He can’t visit, have a say where you go etc.

If he wants to be a part time dad then he needs to be a man and step up and take on the responsibility of a child he helped create and pay child support. You cant make a baby then not pay and help raise that child.

I’m so sorry his putting you in this situation.

4 Likes

He’s trying to dodge that child support :joy:

2 Likes

If he’s not wanting to offer up any child support then its like having your cake and eating too…he gets to be in your babies life with no financial responsibility towards him/ her sounds a bit unfair to you and your baby. If he gives up his rights to your baby he should also give up rights to be in their life.

5 Likes

I have lots of questions ? First of all are you getting any state aid? If you are it’s not that simple to sign off. Most states will not allow him to just sign off. Most states will make him pay child support! Start off with getting a paternity test. And tell your caseworker what he wants to do! If you are not on any state aid then get an attorney!

2 Likes

In Maine even if you sign over your rights your still responsible for child support ( just went through this with my granddaughter who I am now responsible for) I would check your state laws and make sure.

He’s is just trying to get away from paying child support. Then he wants to be in the child’s life too??!! He can’t have his cake and eat it too! Definitely not

2 Likes

That is similar to my situation. My sons father is not on the birth certificate and has no rights. He also sees his son a few times a year and I’m fully ok with that. Money isn’t everything…it meant more to me to have 100% say so over my sons life. No permissions needed! No (debatable) fights over who he would want to live with when he gets older. My son gets to be raised where and how I want. 1000 miles from his dad in MY home state. Idk…money isn’t worth it to me.

3 Likes

You are not married you would have custody until an order was put in to place. He has to sign the birth certificate to be responsible for child support etc. If he doesn’t you would have to go to court to take a DNA test. Another thing courts do not just let you sign rights over your child unless there is someone to fill that role usually. But if he signed his rights away then no longer would i allow him to see him period.

2 Likes

That’s just a big child support dodge.

1 Like

To avoid paying child support for his child. Nope, sorry. You don’t support him, you have no rights to see him or be in his life. Period. No way on Gods green earth would I allow my child’s dad to sign off in his rights so he’s not responsible financially but continue to let him be in my child’s life, in any way, shape or form! Either let him do it and he says goodbye to ever knowing his child or say no and teach him responsibilities of being a parent.

1 Like

He wants his cake and eat it too. Don’t sign nothing. Child support is not for you. It’s for your child. He decided to lay down with you. And now he wants to skip out on his responsibilities?

Nope …u want the right to be in His life then you do not get to sign over your “rights”… You didn’t make that baby alone. He’s either all in or he’s not at all. Girl hold your ground. Its a hard time in your life right now with all the changes, he’s already showing you his parenting level. Its better for the baby

Sounds like you wouldn’t get it anyways so just don’t sign it he need to help out your going to need it. He just mite change his mind after the baby’s comes. he is Just as afraid as you.and if he don’t then you will be able to make child support

I dont think rights have anything to o with child support anymore . He is still legally responsible for financial support even without rights

5 Likes

I would never use my child as a pawn for money, like most of these women are doing.

If he wants to still be in the child’s life, and let’s say the child goes over there to visit, he should have things at his home. So he should buy the child clothes, diapers, formula (if needed) a have a bedroom at his place, help pay for school, extra curriculars (like sports/art classes, etc) and such.

2 Likes

There’s a difference between diving away his rights and giving you full custody.
In some states, even signing his rights away, the state will still make him pay support to offset any assistance the state may provide you and your child.
You can have full physical custody and ask a lawyer, but again, some states will give you both legal custody.
Mostly bc if he’s with dad and something happens, dad needs to be able to make medical decisions.
Your best bet is get a lawyer to draw up a parenting plan…
Look at precedence for visitation, and giving time will look good.
Maybe not the first few months, but start looking at local school calendars and figuring out summer visits, alt holidays, extra time on 3 day weekends.
As long as you two can talk abt it and be adults, it’ll be fairly straight forward.

If he wants to sign his rights away there needs to be someone else willing to take the responsibility and role of father, or else the courts will not allow it to happen. I went through this just recently :blush: goodluck

If you have full custody you can still file for child support. He’ll actually have to pay more because he wouldn’t have any parenting time.

1 Like

Last name is something to consider as well

Oh boy…people say they’re going to do one thing and usually wind up doing another. You need back up insurance…if he says he’s going to “be apart of his life” and then decides not to, at least you’ll be able to get some $ out of him.

That child doesn’t deserve to be toyed with. Just keep on with your life and leave things alone. That Childs bloodline is a part of him no matter what. It’s sad that dad doesn’t want to care for him. Regardless he is his father and he wants to be a part of his life. Let your child know their father and don’t move forward with the paperwork. That is my advice

1 Like

Depending on what state you live in, signing over rights as a parent does not get you out of child support it just relenquishes your rights you spending any time with that child. If he is listed on birth certificate whether he wants to or not he will still have to pay. I’m in Texas and I know that they don’t care if you sign your rights away or not, you are still financially responsible for that child. Hope everything works out

Sounds like he wants to get out of paying child support.

5 Likes

It’s not really as simple as that. Unless you have someone willing to adopt, most courts won’t just allow a father to give up parental rights. And it comes down to money. If you end up needing help financially, the state will want someone to go after before they end up offering assitance.
If he just wants to give you custody, let him. But he will still legally be the child’s father.

1 Like

My husbands ex-wife was abusive and he was in the army so he signed his rights over to his mother of his 2 girls. Couldn’t divorce the wife cause she would get half of everything plus alimony forever (Army is really good at protecting the wife, screw the soldier). This was 13 years ago and he has payed child support the whole time. Depends on the state you live in but signing over rights doesn’t relinquish you from paying child support. Check with an attorney or your states legal aid, and if they say he still has to pay child support, say nothing to him, sign that shit, and take the money. He’s trying to manipulate you, be smarter than him. Take care of that baby!

Something so important why would you ask for advice on Facebook

1 Like

If a man doesn’t want any custody of his child don’t encourage that. You can go to court and still have full custody but he has to pay child support. In Ohio you cannot give rights away unless someone is there to take them over for you.

2 Likes

Tell him sign off for physical & legal & still have him pay child support. Just because you have sole custody doesn’t mean the courts will say he is exempt from child support. This may vary state to state, but in most instances aren’t linked. So yea, let him sign & have sole custody. If he’s on the birth certificate he’s liable.

1 Like

Let him save yourself the headache

2 Likes