My ex wants to sign over rights for our child: Should I do it?

Your having full custody doesn’t remove his obligation to pay child support. That just means the child lives with you and you have the final say on what happens in the child’s life. If he is giving up his parental rights, that means he will not be recognized as the child’s father and the child will not have any rights or privileges where his father is concerned, benefits, inheritance, etc.

Why would you allow him to be in his life if he doesn’t want to be recognized as his father? He can walk away at anytime and there won’t be anything you can do about it. Will he call him daddy?

2 Likes

Worrying about how much money you will get is not wrong, kids are expensive and it’s his responsibility as much as it is yours. It is not the state’s responsibility! Government programs will only keep you in poverty. A $1 an hour raise could knock you out of range and you lose daycare. Don’t depend on assistance to raise your child. Above all else, do what is right for your child even if that means court.

Typically a judge won’t let a person just give up rights unless it’s an adoption situation. My oldest child’s father wanted to but after researching he couldn’t unless there was a step father type situation going on and the step parent was willing to adopt.

1 Like

Just bc you have full custody, doesn’t mean he’s free of paying child support. Signing away his parental rights and you having full custody are two completely things. I suggest you look up your state’s laws

2 Likes

Take the full custody, it will save you from headaches in years to come. You can still have him be involved with the child. In Florida they still have to pay child support even if the mother has full custody.

This is going to sound morbid, and for that I’m sorry, but if anything happens to you, he has no recourse. It’s a huge decision. I would investigate the legal ramifications for you and your child in your state, specifically. Also, make sure if he is going to be around or not, that you have a backup plan. You are currently the sole voice for your child. Use it wisely. Best wishes.

6 Likes

Honestly, if he’s doing it for the wrong reasons, no matter what you do, he’s still gonna be how he feels whether or not he gives up rights or not. I would say do it, only because If he truly feels that way, it’ll help you in the end. To me no one in their right mind would do that, just give rights away, so it sounds fishy on his end to me.

1 Like

Most judges won’t just let the father sign his rights away. They can be taken from him if you can prove he’s an unfit parent, but the only way he could just sign them over would be if you got married and your new husband adopted your child. You getting full custody also doesn’t mean he doesn’t have to pay child support, he’ll still have to.

YOU should be full custodial parent! and if you are granted full custodial parent…he still has to pay, but you don’t have to ask permission to do things with your child

2 Likes

He’ll give up his rights and not pay child support. Give him time. He want be in this child life. Sounds like he could care less.

He doesn’t have to give up his rights so that you will have full custody. I someone that did that and the judge still made him pay child support. Their daughter is 5, he doesn’t see her to often, his choice, but still pays that child support.

Full custody is completely different than signing over rights. Full custody means you have all say over your child. Means He can’t ever take the baby across county or state lines without your permission. It means that He has no decision making in medical treatments. He can’t even take the child to a Doctor’s appointment. Child support is still established, unless you don’t want it.
To give up parental rights, there has to be someone else willing to adopt the child. However, not many Judges grant it. It’s mainly granted in your cases of abuse and neglect.
Good luck to you. Just remember, that baby needs you both, but if He is choosing to walk away, you can’t make him stay or ever be a part of your child’s life. You will also be the one your child asks one day about Dad…

It’s definitely shitty so he can get out of child support, but it might just make your life and the baby’s life easier down the road. If he wants to sign over his rights chances are he is not going to stay in the picture anyway. But honestly follow your heart, you know this guy we don’t

If that is what he wants let him do it. You may have sole responsibility for the child. But in the long run it will be in your favor. As for child support there is so many programs you will be ok.

1 Like

Doesn’t sound hopeful that you will be getting ANY support emotionally or monetary from the guy… but child support is for the child… they have rights… they have needs and wants as they navigate life… they deserve support from BOTH parents… get legal advice…

2 Likes

First of all, the mother always has 100% custody of the child unless the parents are married. Therefore he has no rights to sign over. Secondly, you could just always keep him off the birth certificate. It seems like he just doesn’t want any technical responsibility and doesn’t want to pay child support.

1 Like

You need to check the laws in your state. Here just because a parent gives up their rights doesn’t mean they don’t have to pay child support.

2 Likes

First is it parental rights or custody rights ?? … there is a huge difference… full custody, you have full say with just about anything that pertains to the child but he would still have a legal right to see and spend time with the child but could share an interest in the development stages of the child also to include monetary support too … in the event he does not agree with you with the decisions you make he could still file with the courts about your decisions you do make !! Surrender of Parental rights … he has nothing, he gets nothing and you owe him nothing, basically and legally he walks away !!

1 Like

I don’t know this annoyed me, I hope he/she becomes famous or very successful and the father better not come sniffing around. Do all your research first and good luck :confused:

Personally I think he wants to do it like you said, so he dont have to pay child support, he wants all the benefits of having the kid without being responsible, that’s pretty shitty, dont do it…

1 Like

And if you meet a man an like my late husband he would adopt them. It’s a way to abandon responsibilities like child support thinkblobg and hard it might be best for your kids, it would for mine

If my ex had offered I wouldn’t have had to think for half a second. It gives you the rights to make important decisions without waiting for them to reply, stop hemhawing, or going opposite you just to be a jerk. You can sign for the childs medical without having to wait on the 2nd parents arrival. You can choose their school, or to homeschool, without having to wait for their input. And the billion other daily decisions that go with having children. You won’t have to deal with a pouting man if you find someone else and he gets jealous, or the kid looks up to another male and he gets jealous etc. Child support is just money, sure it’s handy, but sometimes it’s better to just be hassle free without the $. AND If he’s willing to sign over his paternal rights to save a buck then he probably isn’t the greatest example of manhood to have as a father anyway. Mine sold me his summer custody for a cut in support and lost the respect of the 2 older children immediately. Priorities!!!

Maybe he just doesn’t want to pay for anything and he thinks that will ensure it

I think I would hold off for now… He could still sign over 100% custody to you, and also be the father with responsibilities. If you feel it is a viable coparenting relationship, I would go with you having 100% custody, not giving up his parental rights…

He doesn’t want to pay…and if that is he reason…he won’t want to be around…He should pay

What state are you in? In my state o was told if the father isn’t on the bc they have no rights. Anyways giving up his tights won’t get him out of child support

He can sign it over through a consent order. Means he still has to pay child support but has no control over parenting decision. That’s what my son’s dad did. Sees him maybe once a year.

Do let him sign that you have full custody
Do not sign off parental rights. Too many things are signed off. He would not have to disclose anything any further like family medical history…nothing.

How would that benefit the child?

Sounds to me he doesn’t want to pay child support get a lawyer

I don’t know what state you live but in the state of West Virginia any man or woman who give up full custody of their child still has to pay child support for 18 years

Really wish mine would do that. He doesn’t have a job and I’m all alone.

I’m unfollowing this page. It’s turned into an advice column.

Having full custody doesnt mean no child support. Their a difference in full custody and signing rights away.

Have it all in writing.

Stop putting your personal life on social media that’s the first step

There is a couple types of custody don’t get full custody get soul custody please get advice from a lawyer

He’s trying to get out of child support

All depends if he is going to be involved in the child’s teenager adults life

Dont do it kids are expensive.

I would let him
Eventually he will be less & less involved . Good luck . Prayers for you .

If your worried about how much money you will get you have already failed being a parent

Blah blah blah… WHERES THE HOLIDAY STUFF

Yes do it, why force him to be part of something he obviously doesn’t want, I’m sure down the road you find a s/o more suited for that role. Coming from someone who experienced just this, my dad adopted BEST DAD EVER, I was 9 months old, met my biological father at 21, biggest piece of shit ever. Had 2 other kids and it was very clear I wasn’t want. Step dad and mom’s need love to

1 Like

He’s a bum ass bitch the thinks he can get out of paying child support just because he gives up his parental rights.