My family entered my house knowing I wasn't there: Advice?

So what do you guys think about this, it’s a family issue. So I have a house I live in, and some reason my family thinks they’re entitled to it somehow. But today I let my aunt know I was working all day and she, without letting me know, went to my house with her daughter and gave her a tour of my house without me there. She knew I wouldn’t be there. She also thought nobody else would be there. My boyfriend happened to get today off randomly, so he was there, and they showed up when he was leaving to run errands and let themselves in and took a tour of my house without me being present. She had the intention of going in without anyone there because she made the comment she knew where the key was anyways. What do you guys think about this, and how would you handle this situation.

111 Likes

Change the locks and don’t tell anyone where the key is…problem solved.

12 Likes

I’d be moving that key!

2 Likes

Move the damned key or take it with you. Duh.

4 Likes

Move the key… Easy

2 Likes

If you don’t want anybody in your house don’t give them a key and don’t give them a code. If they’re breaking into your house maybe you need to think about never talking to them again?? Seriously just don’t let them have access to the house in that way bam problem solved

8 Likes

Your house, your rules, you have a right to privacy, when, where and how you want, nip it in the bud.

3 Likes

Change the locks and use deadbolts

4 Likes

Nononononono. Change the locks now

1 Like

Change locks don’t hide keys outside anymore.

1 Like

Why not lock the doors, why is this even a post smh

6 Likes

Change locks and get an alarm, don’t give out the code.

2 Likes

Ummm change the locks and don’t leave a key? Seems fairly simple…:woman_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

I’d freak out,snap my Twinkie and let the cream filling spill out…wow some people have serious entitlement issues

Change the locks and dont tell anyone. Aint no telling if they made copies of it. Thats disrespectful as hell

5 Likes

Change the locks and tell your family it’s your house. They’re violating your right to privacy

4 Likes

Leave adult toys EVERYWHERE!! then change the locks

5 Likes

Get the locks changed. Do not give anyone the key…even the boyfriend. That should stop the nonsense. If they ask you…then you can be honest with them. But do not give them the spare key…ever!

2 Likes

Boundaries much? You can say change the locks, but I have a feeling that would be a lot of familial aftermath of drama,. Better to say you don’t like what’s going on. Best of luck. If your family, especially your extended family, thinks they can just walk in your house without ever bringing up asking, you need to speak up or they will keep doing it

2 Likes

One word…

TRESPASSING

3 Likes

Change where the key is.

1 Like

You told her where the key was and you’re asking for help?

4 Likes

Change locks never give anyone a key unless you trust them to respect your rules let them know its not ok to go into tour house without you and call first

2 Likes

Change locks and move the key and let them come to you if they want to come in! Another way to let them know that it’s not ok is to do the same to their home when they aren’t there! Make sure they know you were there also! Fair is fair, they might get the point, if not tell them.

2 Likes

Move the key and tell her to bugger off out of your house.

Change the locks. Tell no one where a key is, and make it clear no one is to go into your home unless you are there, or unless you SPECIFICALLY ask them to do so. Be firm. They may not like it, but that’s ok. Boundaries NEED to be set. They’ll get over it.

2 Likes

Move the key, change them and post cameras.

TRESPASSING!!

2 Likes

Wait… if it’s really your house why does your family feel entitled to it??

None should enter your home without permission.

Um, just stop the b******* now what the f*** were they thinking no one should go into your home without your permission just f****** stop it how do you allow that to begin with

2 Likes

Oh helllll no! SET BOUNDARIES GIRL! And change the locks.

1 Like

I dont know what to say, but if my family calls first so change the dam lock if u dont want them to come without announcing first I would

Don’t tell them where the key :key: is !!!

1 Like

Change the locks. Its your house and boundaries need set

1 Like

Family questions my ass this is something that has been going on for a while you allowed this behavior so they feel whatever they’re doing isn’t wrong…

You can’t always be nice! They are obviously doing it because you allowed them. Family or family not, they better ring the damn bell or knock on the door, especially if it is closed! Change the locks, move the key. Only people living in the house needs to know where the key is located.

1 Like

The story is vague…so idk

Don’t tell them where the keys dead bolt locks

I say tell them not to come when you are not there. Plain and simple. If they don’t like it is to bad. If you change key that wont solve problem if you are afraid to tell them right out. It will just end up they will want to know why key does not work. Or if you hid key they will question where it is. Only way is what I Said first. Tell them not to come when you are not their. I think they have a heck of a nerve going through your house when you are not there. Even if you rent it this still holes it’s still your place.as long as you pay rent.

Change the locks in case she copied the key and don’t let her have access to the new key.

Lock up and leave spare key at work in locker and just you and your partner hold the other, that is absolutely disgusting she thought she had the right to enter your home !!!

PS: CHANGE THE LOCKS ( wouldn’t know if they got a key copied )

Change the locks! No hidden keys for them to search for either!

Nope wouldn’t happen at my place. Change your locks and tell everyone. That is no one’s right but you and your immediate family. The only ones with keys to my house are me, my children and my landlord.

Change your key
Till your aunt and her Daughter to put it where the sun don’t shine shady people like that you don’t need to be around no class no respect drop them now

I’d tell my aunt she’s lucky they didn’t walk in on you and your bf having sex. I fib all the time…home…not home and had they walked in on me I would have been furious. I dislike unannounced company let alone entering my safe haven. That’s just crazy. F*** changing your locks. I’d get a camera and let them know you have a camera because of them and if they ever do that s*** again you’ll be pressing charges. My family knows where my spare is in case of an emergency and they never cross that line. You have to put your foot down. Ouiiiiii let me catch someone trying to come in my home.

If you have a hidden key around ur house no one should know that. Especially ur home insurance policy they will not pay if ur home is robbed. On the other hand tell ur family absolutely not you do not enter my home for any reason when I’m not home. Not sure why she knows were the key is. She probably assumed you telling her were was is a open invitation. U think?

Move that key quickly!! Glad I don’t have that problem. There’s no spare key nor does anyone have a key. That was rude of your aunt. Family🤦‍♀️idk why think they’re entitled. Not at my house everyone is a visitor and comes when invited. Please!! Do not stay too long

You need to change the locks

Just let her know that that wasn’t the right time to come to your house when you was gone she had to get your permission to do that they let her know that she was wrong in a nice way

Get a key safe, then only people with the code can gain access :grinning:

That’s just weird why would she want her daughter touring your house! If you bought a house you can offer so and so over to tour your house and show it off and nobody should know where your spare key is! Put it somewhere else and make it clear nobody is to come to your house unless your home and not busy!

Yeah… Absolutely not! Change locks, don’t hide a key and then them they aren’t every invited again without you being there. That’s just totally bullshit

2 Likes

Breaking and entering. Call the police. Change the locks and don’t let them have access to the keys.

Change the locks and get new hiding spot , no one should enter your home without your approval

2 Likes

Change locks and don’t give anyone keys. Your home they need to respect your space.

I would be FURIOUS!!! In the stratosphere type of furious.

1 Like

Move your key and get them for breaking and entering

I think you have to be tactful she is you family but sit down with her and discuss the situation

Get cameras for in an outside the home so you have proof if they do it again and press charges on them. And stay very cautious of them that is very shady business family or not…

1 Like

You pay no mortgage you get no key. Change lock. No explanation required.

Change your locks and give no one the key…problem solved…no need to say anything.

2 Likes

Wait. What!?! Why? Is it for sale or something? I would have a one way conversation with her and she would not be welcome at my house again. I would change the locks immediately and don’t let people know where your key is.

1 Like

I’m trying to figure out why they think it’s ok to just walk up in your house especially when you are not there , if something gets stolen then what ? Tell them to stop coming to your house when you are not home and to make sure, change your locks.

Stop leaving the key in a “hiding spot”. Then they cannot get in…problem solved

2 Likes

Assassinate mmediately

2 Likes

Dont tell people where the key is?

2 Likes

First of all change all the locks on your doors for safety reasons.Cause they could of made a copy of your keys.Plus hide the extra key to your new locks to the doors so only you know where it’s at.Plus never tell that family member your going to be gone all day and put cameras around your place so that nothing like that will happen again.

4 Likes

Don’t say a word. Just change the locks.

5 Likes

Boundary setting is a family issue sometimes learned, and hard to apply…do more research on setting boundaries. I wouldn’t waste breath saying a word to them. Part of the issue is the fact you were open enough to inform the family member of your key location. Just use that experience as a learning tool and move ahead.

1 Like

Change your locks and I totally agree with Cora.

1 Like

My question is, how does she have a key to your home? I would not like that at all, and I would let that be known. If you keep your key outside( which, isn’t a good idea to begin with) then you should probably move it to a spot that nobody knows but you.

I know how upsetting that can be…Especially if they are cricketing your paint color, cleanliness, laundry undone, beds made, well that is an invasion of privacy and they did it on purpose. yeah…change locks, use them, and return the favor of going to their home to snoop !!

1 Like

Tell her that was disrespectful and move the key.

1 Like

I dont think anyone…not even family should help themselves into your home unless they live there to and or have your permission to do so when you are not there

2 Likes

Stop hiding the extra key. You’re setting yourself up for robbery and continued intrusion by your family. Change the locks. No extra thoughts needed, just common sense

4 Likes

Change the locks🤷🏽‍♀️

1 Like

Have a conversation about why it’s not ok… invasion of space etc. Irregardless of family, landlord, significant other… if they are NOT PAYING BILLS and are NOT on the LEASE OR MORTGAGE then even if they have a key they KNOW common courtesy and respect is a phone call or text and WAIT FOR A RESPONSE. My landlord went in my apartment without notifying me, I came home, opened my door, felt someone had been in the space, closed door called police… after tracking it down building management was fined by the city.

No one can do anything to you that you don’t allow. Change the locks & let them know those days are over!!

4 Likes

I would be really mad she had no business going over there without you being there. And why did your bf let her allow her to stay there i would have told her to leave. Now i would change all the locks don’t leave the spare any where outside & tell her you don’t want her near your house Or you will call the cops next time she enters without your permission & do it.

1 Like

Ok ummmm I’m sorry but even if your family or emergency friend has a key… WTF… IT ISN’T OKAY TO EVER ENTER MY HOME WITHOUT NOTIFYING ME… unless you think I’m dead because you tried to reach me SEVERAL TIMES with NO RESPONSE

Change the damn locks and don’t let them know where the extra key is. You family has a lot of nerve!.

2 Likes

Change your locks or find another hiding place for your keys!
Best thing though, tell her exactly how you feel and set your boundaries :+1:

5 Likes

Call her and ask her why she entered your home without asking first. I live in a neighborhood of snoopy old people. I got a call at work when my mom went in to see if they needed to call the police. But I knew mom was letting herself in that day.

Speak your mine to them about how piss, off , change locks, front & back camara, and tell them if it happen agine your not going to like what will happen

3 Likes

Change locks…keep an extra in your purse and one in your car…and one in your cell phone case as we all always have our phones on us

2 Likes

Change where you put you key not ok

Not sure - BUT she could be guilty of trespassing , entry the property uninvited

1 Like

I for one would not leave a key any place other than my keychain. 2nd now that you know they feel entitled to just do what you want when you are not there, I would change the locks and get a camera system so they can’t get away with just going into your house when they feel like it. If they were to do it again I would call the cops and tell them they are intruders in your home. It’s obvious she has no regard to what you say, so why should you care if she gets a charge. Family or not, they should respect what you say or deal with the consequences. You know what they say family is the 1st ones to screw you over.

This is a narcissist who has no regard nor respect for boundaries. Go to Narcsite.com and study up, you’re in for a helluva ride

2 Likes

You, I agree …change locks and dont tell her you did

1 Like

Stop giving people access to your house! Change the locks, hide the key.

4 Likes

Change the locks and don’t tell her where they are. N tell het next time ask before you go into my home

First off it’s your property so you need to hide the spare keys. Second have a talk with your family and explain your house rules. If they feel insulted it’s your house.

1 Like

I most definitely wouldn’t like that. Change where you keep the key of just remove it all together. I think it’s very rude of them to think it’s ok

2 Likes

I’d be upset and let everyone know. Change the locks and be done

None of my business.

Thats what locks and keys are for

Change your locks. And your number.

Stop telling ppl where your key is

No no no. Change the locks

1 Like