My family entered my house knowing I wasn't there: Advice?

Change the lock and don’t leave a key where they can get it

2 Likes

Tell everyone it is your house and they can call and come whey you ARE HOME

2 Likes

Get home security and when they don’t have the code to turn off the alarm, let them try to explain themselves to the police… also get something with video like ring and post those videos online for the whole family to see. Lol jerks.

3 Likes

Don’t leave a key around for anyone to use

7 Likes

Leave dildos, rope, blindfolds etc lying around the house…let your imagination go wild!! Problem solved, plus won’t get invites to distant relos do’s, and give them something to talk about :+1::+1:

2 Likes

Remove the spare keys and make it clear they’re not to come there if you and/or your partner are not home. Boundaries are for family too.

6 Likes

For someone who doesn’t want anyone to go snooping in their house , but leaves a key for them to find easily . Change the locks .

3 Likes

They.have mod business entering your premises without your permission it’s really considered breaking.n entering.you plain tell them this is wrong.thier.out of line.change the locks.be done with it

1 Like

in my family theres an open door anytime…I am number 11 out of 12 snd have 137 nieces/nephews and great nieces/nephews.Its kind of just a given in my family.

Move to another state

2 Likes

Get your key off her

Change the locks and hide the key elsewhere!!!

2 Likes

Why does everyone know where the key is thats your fault for telling them showing. Change the locks put up cameras and trespassing signs have the first one arrested for trespassing

3 Likes

Hide the key. Or change the locks. Simple really

2 Likes

Dee Porter and yr famous meatloaf​:joy::joy::joy:

Move the keys. This is invasive and leaps personal boundaries!

2 Likes

I would fucking flip out!!

Boundaries! Enforce your boundaries by changing the lock and NOT leaving a spare key lying around.
I would confront your Aunt and make it explicitly clear that under NO Circumstances is she to let herself in and that the locks will be changed to prevent unauthorised access.
Trust me, unless you strictly enforce the boundaries and stick to your argument that it is your home NOT hers, and that she needs to respect your privacy, she will continue walking all over you and disrespect you.
My parents used to do this all the time and make out that I was the unreasonable person for wanting my privacy.
Major red flag and typical narcissistic behaviour, as they believe that they are NEVER wrong.

Or you can just be an adult and talk to her and let her know you felt it was inappropriate… and if she doesn’t get the hint then change the locks.

3 Likes

I’d be quite annoyed at the lack of respect and comments decency. Take a mate round to hers for a tour see how she likes it

1 Like

Tell your family they are not to be there without you there and don’t leave a key
People are judging more than just the house but also your taste in furniture, clothes,art etc… Also what if your boyfriend was just getting in or out of shower. It’s an invasion of your privacy and his

Change the locks, keep the old key where she knows where it is, and hide the new key in a totally different spot.

2 Likes

Move the key for a start then tell her you’d like a spare key for her house :wink:

3 Likes

Not ok. You don’t know if they are going through your things or snooping in important papers. I suggest you change the locks, and don’t use the same hiding place for a key, and get a security system with a camera. You can’t change the past, but you can set some boundaries going forward. Tell them its ok to come over to visit when you are home, but only if they call first to make sure its convenient. When they come to visit, be sure to show them the security camera. If you don’t want to have a direct confrontation, then don’t. Just show them the security camera. They will know they will be on film.

Why do they have a key? Take it from them and change the locks. Or be really petty and go to your aunts house and be a pest. Help yourself to the food in her fridge, use her shower, that kinda thing till she gets the hint.

1 Like

That’s not cool. You should change the locks.

I think it’s a total lack of respect to you

2 Likes

Change locks and hide the key

1 Like

I agree with the changing of the locks. You need not explain to your Aunt the reason why, you owe her no explanation.

4 Likes

U fault for giving out keys.

Why is she giving tours? Do you live in a museum?

6 Likes

Um… fuck no. Give someone whom you trust a key in case of emergency. Don’t have a extra key, and if you do don’t let everyone know where it is.

3 Likes

Don’t let people know where your key is. If your boyfriend was leaving did he just leave them at the front door?

2 Likes

You asked for it by giving out your key or leaving it.Get your locks changed.Family is not always trustworthy.

4 Likes

Tell her straight that you dont mind her coming round but only when your at home x

Not ok! Especially if you never said you were ok with ppl being in your home while you’re out. Stop leaving a key out. Give a key to someone you trust in case of emergency, but don’t leave it out. And do address this with the culprit…

2 Likes

It’s time to change the locks and find a new hiding spot for the spare key​:woman_shrugging:t4::woman_shrugging:t4::woman_shrugging:t4::woman_shrugging:t4:

3 Likes

shoot do it to her house lol

Change the locks and get a restraining order keeping them away from the property. And if your boyfriend was there why did he leave when they showed up ? If he had stayed they couldn’t have gotten in.

Move the dang key and explain to your family that what they’re doing is an invasion of privacy. Do you go to their houses unannounced?

3 Likes

Change the locks, tell boyfriend not to let them, don’t put a spare key in a hiding spot, everyone lnows where to look

1 Like

Change your locks and tell her you don’t want people in your home especially when you’re not there!

She Should have gotten permission first… Disrespectful…—

Wtf I would be pissed

The Nerve…“Let her know”

So, why were they there?

Move the keys, take theirs away

I’d change the locks and put the keys somewhere else they couldn’t find it tbh.

2 Likes

Change the lock and move the key tell only your Boyfriend where the key is and text your family explaining why you don’t like them just entering the house and why you’ve changed the locks

2 Likes

WRONG!!!,lol

If she had asked it might have been different, but I would change my locks.

I’m sorry, but I don’t think this is your fault as so many seem to. It s common sense to let someone know where a key can be found in case of emergency.
It’s absolutely ridiculous to assume that you’re allowed access to anyone’s home without express permission.
That said, changing locks, removing keys, and not saying anything is just continuing the pattern. You need to confront the issue head on. Do it calmly, even practicing what you are going to say beforehand, if you need to. Until you set the boundary, so there is no question of your intent, your space will not be respected. Just moving the key or changing the locks will cause tension and potentially open the door for an unexpected confrontation. It’s always better to have these conversations on your own terms and when you a prepared.

2 Likes

Change the locks and check windows to make sure they’re secure. Install a security feature so if she’s stupid and tries again, she’ll get arrested.
Get a restraining order. Have witnesses and confront her.
Many things you can do, just depends how strong your backbone and will is hun.

Super simple, change your locks. Leave a spare key with a trusted friend

2 Likes

It’s extremely rude, and she would not have a key to my home.

Change the locks… Hide the keys

2 Likes

Family or not, this was wrong on so many levels. Change your locks, let no one know where spare key is until that time may come

1 Like

Family or not it’s illegal for anyone to go in your house without permission. What were they looking for? If they weren’t planning on taking something why didn’t they wait until you were home? I would change the locks and let everyone know they are not welcome to let themselves into your home when you aren’t there. Do they not realize they can go to jail for that?

1 Like

If your boyfriend has a key is there a reason you have a key hidden outside? Have you considered changing to a numeric lock system that you all you need is to memorize the code .and do not give it to anyone .if there is an emergency,Police ambulance etc will get into your house you may have to replace a window but that is easier to live with than having everyone have access to your home.

1 Like

Change locks. Tell no one. And wait. Someone will ask why. And you can say things have been comeing up missing and you wanted to nip it in the bud…

1 Like

Find a new hiding place for the spare key. Tell her unless someone is home to welcome her she is not to come over.

Talk to them. Say; With all due respect I don’t want anyone entering my house unless I’m there. That key is for emergency use only.

Furthermore tell them that you don’t want to cause any unnecessary rift between you and anyone else but that you want to be respected the same way you respect them. And that also means you’re house and property.

And if it keeps happening, change your locks and hide your key elsewhere.

If you don’t talk to them before changing your locks, they won’t understand fully why you did what you did and then cause family drama that you don’t want.
Talk first, then take action.

Change locks and don’t leave no keys that simple , lock them out

Just be honest with them an remove the key…simple

Change the locks and do not give family members a key to the new lock.

Move the key , change the locks .

Hurt some feelings set some rules!!!:rage::rage:

She needs a swift boundary.

Why would she be "showing " your house? I don’t understand. Change the locks, tell her she blew her last chance, and cut her out of your life. It doesn’t have to be forever, just till she knows her place.

I never realized what an assertive person I actually am until I started seeing these questions pop up on my stuff.

U need to change the spot u normally puts the key

Two words … your aunt needs to … “SHOW R-E-S-P-E-C-T!”

1 Like

Only one person outside of those living in the house need access to the keys to your house. Never leave a house key outside the front doir. Give the key to ONE trusted family member and make sure this person doesn’t tell anyone else without your permission. No need of explanations to anyone and no need to change the locks.

3 Likes

Get your locks changed no spares…why would your family want to tour your house??? Is your house so amazing that your family feels its necessary to hold guided tours…

1 Like

Move the key, tell her shes not welcome unless your home, and have invited them.

1 Like

So after you finished airing her out, what happened?

1 Like

Simple. Change the locks and ask them to respect your privacy.

1 Like

Move the key. Maybe change the locks.Tell them to stay out.

Man I guess I’m just a little crazy bc they would have ALL been smooth cussed out!!! The boyfriend, for letting them stay there and leaving them there. And my family for thinking they’re entitled to my house!!! Da FUQ?!?! I’d change the locks, give NOBODY a spare key, and go about MY business. The boyfriend would need to earn the privilege BACK of having access to MY personal space. :triumph::rage:

Move the keys or take them back . and place a sign saying this is my home not yours so if I’m not here you should not either. No exceptions lol

Change your locks and don’t give anyone a key. I wouldn’t tell anyone either, just the boyfriend. Don’t make it a big deal, if someone says something then tell them.

3 Likes

if they change the locks the message will get thru clearly

1 Like

It’s a straight Hell No and they would have known that from the gate. That’s intruding on my personal space No. Feelings sure would have been hurt Ijs

No one, including Jesus Christ himself is going into my home without my knowledge and permission.

Change your door locks love

Oh no! Stop that crap now! She has no right to be in your home with out your permission. Change those locks and keep those keys!

Simple. Don’t leave a house key where people can use it to commit burglaries.

Put an adt alarm system so when they open it? They’ll get arrested for breaking in…lol…I’d be more concern of how often they’ve gone inside your home without you knowing and if they’ll stolen anything?

Change the locks and find a new spot to hide the spare key and don’t tell anyone

8 Likes

Fire on them next time they enter without permission.

3 Likes

For one change locks and dont leave a key anywhere around. For two, I’d be pissed. No one should be in ur house when you arent home.

8 Likes

Let them know you want notice and to be present.

1 Like

They can only have access to it if you let them. They don’t need a key if you can’t trust them to not walk in and out of your home.

2 Likes

When she mentioned she knew where the key is, did you let her know that key was not for her use?

4 Likes

Are you selling the house? Why would she just be giving someone a tour? Change the locks

5 Likes

I’d be shutting that down real quick. I would also move the spare key somewhere else and change that locks. That’s messed up in so many levels

3 Likes

Move the key. Tell her if she comes in again, she can start paying rent.

3 Likes

Doesn’t sound like a tour to me.

2 Likes

I’d call the cops for them entering without you there, but I’m pretty. Change locks and dont have a spare key at the home hidden.

3 Likes

Change locks and rehide keys

1 Like