My family is struggling and needs support!

What is your husband doing about this? It’s more his problem than yours.

3 Likes

Go to Social Services for help! I would want to know what she did with the money. Can you pawn anything?!

1 Like

Apply for services. Get out of that place you aren’t responsible for that. There should be rental assistance or something preventing homelessness in your state.

Go to the Salvation Army and tell them your situation. They may help you.

Also go to the Landlord and explain the entire situation. If he knows you will pay each month and get caught up eventually he may give you grace. Asking can never hurt.

4 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. My family is struggling and needs support! - Mamas Uncut

4 Likes

First mistake giving money to someone always get a receipt always don’t care who it is

10 Likes

This actually happened to me, but it was a friend I lived with and not a family member. What I did. I contacted the landlord on my own. Explained my situation. My landlord was able to put me into one of their other properties with the understanding I would have to pay off the deposit a little at a time, and did not leave me liable for the friends property. The one thing I did do, when I paid my friend the money each month, I transfered them then money from my account to theirs, so it was easy to prove that I did try to pay my way. Bad thing that did happen. The utilities were in my name, they left them with over do bills and I had to pay that and another deposit to get service in my name. Right now there is. Lot and Lots of help out. Church’s, community action, united way, salvation army, Catholic social services… You have to use your resources!!!

51 Likes

I would put the MIL stuff out on the curb for her first of all…
Never ever pay someone $$$ like that, even if you’re related!! Pay the $$$ directly to the bills, the rent, the electric, what ever. Especially when you have kids, always pay the bill, not the person. I’m so sorry you all are going through this. I will be praying for y’all, some people on here have had some good suggestions so far. I hope one or a combination of a few, work for y’all.

80 Likes

Reach out to your local United Way. There may be organizations that could help you. I don’t know where you live but is there a Catholic Charities in your area. Perhaps they could help you. His mother obviously doesn’t give a shit about any one other than herself. If she was getting $$ from you WHAT IN THE HELL DID SHE DO WITH THAT MONEY!!! WTF? Get to her stuff and sell it all Take her to court, or call the cops and have her arrested.

14 Likes

First of all, let her move in with her friend. She sounds like she doesn’t care that she got you all in this mess. Secondly talk to your landlord and explain your situation and ask to have lease changed to you and your significant other. Good luck.

20 Likes

Let Momma move out. Tell landlord you will stay and just pay extra every month till the 1200 is paid. Landlord probably doesnt want to go thru looking for a tenant no more than you want to move. You were obviously doing it before so you can handle the payments on your own. See if you then qualify for food stamps and families first, help with electricity, etc… Good luck! Prayers for you!

65 Likes

They have to go to court to legally evict you. Go to the landlord tell him what happened, be prepared to show proof and he may work with you. Legally he can’t evict you without you receiving notice from your local sheriff.

10 Likes

Maybe talk to the landlord. Maybe he will agree to let you stay if you pay an extra 200 a mnth untill the 1200 is caught up? Maybe do a diff lease so that u can get power put ur name since mil is leaving. If it’s big enough for your family just explain he wouldn’t have to clean and repaint and all tht and go thru looking for a new tenant. That you never knew the money you were helping her with never passed her hands…etc

28 Likes

If she was taking your money you own everything in that apartment. She leaves with nothing.
You do not owe landlord anything if your names were not on lease. Negotiate for a new lease for you and he can Sue her. You should as well.
You get the abilities in your name. Then go to the state and ask who to contact for assistance.
Good luck

8 Likes

Hugs. That is a hard spot you are in. You can look into local churches. If you are not on the lease maybe they can evict her only and you offer to take a new lease. Good luck. Continue working hard.

11 Likes

Call DHS and ask if they can help or know anybody who can. Landlord cannot give you two days or even a week’s notice you have to take you to court so don’t sweat about that because Court’s going to be postponed out because of covid anyways. If if you want or need more advice I’d be happy to help. What state do you live in?

6 Likes

Apply for public assistance. Go to your county office. They are excellent to help out in emergency situations. Also, some churches help out families in urgent need. Good luck.

12 Likes

Mistake 1…giving her the money …pay rent yourself and utilities…that way you know its paid. Talk to landlord…tell him what you all had been doing and just found out from him what has happened. Ask for a little time. Think the Eviction thing is still going on through October

22 Likes

My questions would be what is she doing with the money? And move out. Get your own place. You are responsible for your children. Let her pay you rent and move in with you. I know you want to help her out. But I would focus on my kids only. If it makes me a horrible person oh well. It is my opinion. Just like everyone else has their own.

5 Likes

So what is a s/o, why don’t u have more$$$ and who would let u rent without the whole application thing and I believe there is rental help if u need, just show all your approved paperwork etc. In other words this sounds like a duck

8 Likes

So $800 a month for rent and utilities for a family of 6. Not bad at all .

6 Likes

As a landlord , I can tell you that if a tenant is honest and tells me the whole story. And will work to make up the difference , then I will work with them. I had one commercial tenant take five years to make up the amount of back rent. I had another move out on the sly. I took them to court , after two years and a big legal headache they have ended up paying almost twice the amount. Late fees, interest, ect. Don’t ask him to cut your rent , just ask for time to make it right. Don’t cry , just be calm and honest

56 Likes

First of all the worst thing you can do is be hateful to your MIL. FORGIVE AS YOU ARE FORGIVEN. It doesn’t mean you condone or accept what she did. It does mean every one of us has done things we need forgiveness for so the retaliation is bad advice. Unfortunately there are too many scams out there for me to feel comfortable just sending money. Is there more information on this site?

13 Likes

Saint Vincent DePaul Society is the charity organization supported by Catholic Churches in town - they may be able to help you with rental assistance

8 Likes

Ask the landlord if you can take over the lease, it’s a win win for him. He would already have tenants and he can go after mil for the 1200. Let him know the address he can find her. Next go to the bank and speak to someone about how to start building your credit.

7 Likes

What did that woman do with all that money???

4 Likes

Isn’t the government giving parents with young kids a check monthly, use your check to catch up on your rent & gas. Let your mother in law move, she should be helping you not giving you debt!!

22 Likes

Take or save your money and move out of Moms house. God/ LIFE /Universe is asking you to expand beyond current circumstances. You clearly you can no longer trust “Mom” unfortunately. This would likely just continue. As always, best of luck! :pray:

I know for a fact a landlord cant evict u if they accepted even a dollar from anyone for rent so he can try and take u to court but it won’t work and tell him u know that offer to give extra but u dont honestly even have to do that once he accepted the $200 he gave up that right to evict so dont freak out just try and work something out with the landlord and tell them that ur ML won’t be there or back and cut her out how dare her put u and ur children in this position

1 Like

Salvation Army can help possibly and also Catholic Charities. Have a talk with your landlord and tell him exactly what happened

6 Likes

If you’re in California dial 211 for assistance with shelter for you nd your family nd I’m positive everything will be alright

7 Likes

The friend the mother In law is moving in with May need to be warned she can’t be trusted with money to pay any bills - Since you & SO moved in with his Mom she may have been unhappy with the situation so she did this to get out of the deal.

8 Likes

I bet these people are getting everything they can from the government. Our tax money and now want more. Total leechees in my opinion. Im surprised facebook allows this.

9 Likes

Start a “go fund me” on Facebook and don’t hesitate to get government money if you qualify. After all government money is yours that you paid into and is just a great big “ go fund me” of all taxpayers. We are a country of compassionate people and our tax dollars we WANt to help deserving folks like you. Forgive your MIL but be careful about giving help in the future.

6 Likes

Notice there is no response to any of you. Sounds scamish.

13 Likes

First of all, if the lease is in her name she’d be responsible for the charges. What was she doing with all the extra money? Is she retired or working? And why did the landlord wait 6 months to inform you of this? Have you tried talking to her about coming up with the money? Good luck🙏🏻

4 Likes

Also you can ask at the local churches and Salvation Army…they normally have emergency funds for such stuff.

5 Likes

Since your not married, look into like I think it’s called section 8 Housing? Where your rent is reduced

5 Likes

You should be getting at least $1k in government payment with your 4 young children, a little more if they are quite young.

2 Likes

Wellllll it’s actually her apartment can you get a new lease in your name…
Tell him what’s going on… if you have $800 a month then you can pay him and extra amount monthly if you need to catch up.

3 Likes

I would get the 1200 and use that toward a deposit to rent a new place for you and your family leaving her to deal with her landlord and the threat of being made homeless.

11 Likes

Go to your department of human services ask for emergency housing, get cash aid, food stamps, contact the landlord and get legal support

Next time pay your money to the landlord not your mother or roommate

3 Likes

This sounds way sketchy…I would not ever believe a story this far fetched. They’ve probably got more $$ than most of us.They could easily move into their own place and let shady mother in law fix her own problems

4 Likes

They can’t legally evict right now till September 31st… your governor has mandated an extension on no evictions… you don’t have to pay anything! Washington state

4 Likes

Unfortunately you can’t trust anyone when it comes to your own well being. You have 4 children. This is a hard lesson to learn and I mean learn. Learn from it. You mentioned that you work hard. Work hard to build your credit. Work harder to pay your bills. Can mom Babysit? By learning from this unfortunate circumstance and never allowing mom to do this again to you or your family you will find you can do this. Depend on yourselves only. Talk to mom and find out what she did with the money and work from there. Good luck to you!

I believe there’s a moritorium (sp?) Federally due to Covid Pandemic,also landlord must go through the proper legal channels to evict…While the landlord tries to evict u ck with your state regarding the moritorium on evictions at this time AND c if you can sue your MIL for $ she spent on herself…

1 Like

Landlord can’t evict you without a legal permit 30days this could take weeks to get the people out with children we are still in this pandemic pay what you can and catch up when you can.

Try salvation army, also local churches. If your town has a trustee go talk to them. But look up your rights for being a renter, most places the landlord cant just kick you out but has to go through the eviction process and that is taking you to court. Now I am curious why he has not said anything up until now, most landlords would of been knocking on your door 1st month you missed. Sad mom screwed you guys, but talk to the landlord and explain what mom has done, and you can take her to court but if she is broke you may never see it.

Call your local food bank and ask for help!! There are some that can help cover a bill or two in certain situations. Or call your local sheriff office and ask what organizations in your area might be able to help.

She obviously didn’t give a crap about her grandkids if she was willing to put you all in this situation ! ! !

With Covid, the landlord can’t evict you. I would sit down and talk to him and explain the situation. Tell him you will pay a extra 200 a month if he will work with you on it. Best thing to do is ask, even ask if he will transfer the lease over to you and your SO. Be the adult in the situation. Explain what you all have been doing and tell him the truth that you didn’t know.

1 Like

I’m sorry your mil did this to you.But go to DSHS and get a one time emergency grant they will cover back rent and utilities. GOOD LUCK!

1 Like

If you are not on the lease that is not your bill to pay. I am guessing if the rent is only $450 it must be a low income 1 bedroom. No place in my area has low rent like that except gov. assisted. There is no way they will allow you to stay with 2 adults plus kids. Best to just move out to a new apartment and let this landlord go after the MIL for what she owes him.

1 Like

Your town hall should be able to help. Just bring in your eviction notice & proof of income, a list of a months bills with receipts if you have them. If you guys manage to get it paid, send her on her way. Clearly you can afford it on your own. What a terrible thing for her to do. Maybe the landlord will work out a payment arrangement with you guys.

Contact Love Inc or United Way or Social Services or West Central community Actions for help.
Sometimes some churches will help if it’s a crisis situation.

Has to give you a 30 day eviction. Dont move til you are served. Then you can see if you can get the help from churches or organizations helpingbwith rent due to covid. This time should give you time but Biden just extended the eviction moritorium and it could be illegal to even evict you in your area. Check that out as well. Keep up with current rent and see if you can get assistance with the back rent. This eviction moritorium should help you catch up. Good luck.

1 Like

First off no landlord can evict you without the courts and they are currently closed. He can say all he wants but unless she was filed in court and the constable or sheriff comes to your door he can not legally kick you out and if he does you just need to go to the police and they have to let you back in. That being said, I suggest that going forward you make a check or money order out to the landlord and pay him directly since your MIL can not manage her money if she is in this situation even with your additional assistance. I would try to talk to the owner and see what type of plan you can work out to get the rent paid down. As far as the lights maybe you can helo her try to budget better and show her how to do the bills. Right now there are tons of rental assistance programs available for people in your exact situation. I have a tenant that owes me over 30k and has not paid a penny since March 2020 and there is absolutely nothing I can do about it because the courts are shut down. If you want to pm me I would be more than happy to help you out further but there is a way out of this without being thrown out. I feel that you moved there to help her and she has taken advantage of your kindness and was basically just spending your money that was supposed to be for bills.

1 Like

You will be ok…call DTA , you should be able to get at least food help, SNAP.
Then call your landlord and talk to him.
There has been an extension until October for evictions. Call utilities and put in your names. You won’t be responsible for her
bills. May I ask where your money went that you gave her? Is she ill or have dementia?
I’m so sorry for this…
Lots of good suggestions here. Figure out stuff with the landlord, then work on the other stuff.
Best of luck

Local church might be able to help as well.

He can not evict you. The Supreme Court upheld the no evictions until like November so he can not legally evict you. You can move but why? When you can stay and look for another place. Come November there will be a ton if places to nice to. But make her take all her stuff with her. Give her a date to have it all out. Do not put it on the curb. She can sue you and win. Then not only are you replacing things you have probably paid for already.

Keep your receipts, hopefully you have some… take her sorry ass to court after you get straight. Document dates of everything, of her departure as well.
They say you can’t get blood out of a turnip…eh, I say get a judgement against them. It stick with them and hopeful lesson learn. Best of luck

Ask a church or agency for help explain the situation. Then make dear old mom pay you both back for all the money.

First he can’t just evict you. If he has accepted partial payment you may have a case. The best thing is talk with him. There is a national law right now about not allowing evictions. Unless he has given you written notice he can’t just evict you. Most cities and counties have legal help for the poor. Try calling them or your welfare and housing authority. Don’t give uour mother in law anymore money. You guys pay all the bills direct. She has proved that she lies and can’t manage the money.

DCA is a real program my daughter got it they paid her rent for 3 months now she’s close to go I’m going into the fourth month she is they’re going to hopefully extend it for the for a year so look it up could go to community centers they’re helping DCL is also helping with utilities

Take her,stuff and take it to the hock shop and sell it,tv stereo jeweler everything and get what ever money she has left or has,put away and she has,talk to hydr explain what’s happened,they may put you on a plan to pay back a little at a time,as for the rent I’m not sure talk to the land Lord and see if he’ll do anything may habe to get a weekend job to get caught up ,mom’s got to go now you don’t love someone and do this to them

I believe no evictions can be done til October unless it’s just in Wisconsin. Look into it for the state you are in and definitely get rental assistance it’s there for these reasons. There is nothing wrong with it. You are struggling but doing a great job Momma.

Shame on you mother in law what a horrible thing to do. Go to the landlord ask him to please work with you work out a payment plan. A hard working family like you should try and get some temporary help from the government. I wish you all the best. There must be some organization that could help you out

Seek help from sera . No one can be evicted until September because of Covid

All of these are great suggestions ! She has some type of issue ? Gambling , Drugs , alcohol or a combination. Glad she’s moving . Ask for an advance at work , check covid assistants with the Gov , they may be able to help .
Do a go fund me or send cash app .

If you have a church that you are affiliated with, they often have resources.

The landlord can’t hust throw you out. They have to serve a 5 day notice, then have to go to court if you haven’t moved. At least that’s how it is in Illinois.

There’s stimulus package deals go to local welfare office and check out your options. Also I would file a police report for court

Make a dal with landlord. He must evict her legally and sign a new lease with you. Problem is I think legally he can’t evict her because of the new extension on evictions. Also he should apply with government office to get his rent money per Covid relief fund.

The situations we put ourselves in. I am so glad I decided to wait to have kids.

My suggestion is take some of the baby bonus you get every month and put towards the rent. I know its for the kids, but actually you’re keeping a roof over their head so that would be going to them.

There are income based homes in most county’s check into it if your homeless they will get you in faster

So sorry, this is the reverse of what so often happens. If yhere is a next time, take over particular bills so you know they are paid. Does she know she did this?

If somehow you do get to keep the apartment be sure landlord is willing to put lease in your name you don’t want to pay all that money for his mother and then still be evicted if he won’t agree to new lease let them go after her for the money SHE owes
You will need money for rent and deposit on new place to live if you can even find something to rent best of luck to your family

why do you have 4 kids at 21yrs old.

1 Like

Being 21 with 4 babies is hard enough, if your spouse talked you into this that’s silly. Save your monies and move…

You need help right away. Talk to the landlord. Ask if your SO’s mother had a lease. Ask to cancel her lease and start a new lease with you. Negotiate the amount of deposit, rent, and arrears you will pay. You do t have to offer him the full amount fir repayment. Talk to him. Tell him what happened. Ask how much he needs to negotiate a lease with you. How much of that figure needs to be up front. How much can be paid over time. Explain the same issue with utilities, so he understands. Then consider filing a small claims suit against the mom. If you win, it’s still on you to make her repay you, so you don’t have to go after the money if she’s really broke. But the suit will go on her record, so she can’t do this to others without them having some sort of warning.

Sounds like your sig others mom has some full pockets of your$

I don’t mean to sound harsh. But according to my calculations. You recieved $ 19000,200. Of covid relief. What happened ?

1 Like

You can talk to him have the rent money plus the two hundred to show him you’ll willing to work with him to catch up. It doesn’t hurt to talk to him. Let us know and we all can try helping. Don’t let her pay any bills, but she should put her part in too.

He can’t evict you for 30 days and he’s not willing to work with you? I wouldn’t hand her anymore money and pay what you give her directly on bills, give her the leftovers if there is any

#1 You can not be legally evicted in a few days, you have to be given notice. #2 If you moved in with her then you are not on the rental agreement/contract to pay the rent but then you said you need $800 to keep “our” apartment. So is it hers or yours? Let her move out , reach out to the salvation army, church, and other organizations that can help you out. You have to be given a 30 day notice and hopefully you can get help by then.

There also ceda that will help and the gas and light company there’s rent resources out there Catholics Services help with utilities and rent.

ERAP, Google it. You most likely qualify for emergency rental assistance. Hopefully you can get the money back you payed.

The government just reinstated the order that during Covid 19, no landlord or anyone can put someone out during this pandemic for lack of paying rent. You can look it up. It’s trues so relax, he can not evict you.

No no no … u cannot get kicked out during this covid time… get local help … go to housing in ur area … don’t move

4 kids at 21 ? All fatherd by the same man? Married? Try taking birth control. IUD

1 Like

What is a cash tag,? and there is no way to pay you because this is anonymous ? Not that I would just saying… your local Service Center out human services can help you, usually churches have a support system for needs like yours

Right at the moment, there is a moratorium on evictions and the landlord can’t evict you. Maybe by October when the moratorium is over you can have the rent worked out. Even then the landlord has to go through the court system.

You have all the monies given to her written down and signed by her? I’d say you all learned a valuable lesson. Where is all the money she kept them? She use it to buy drugs? Was she buying things and bringing them in the apartment and no one thought that was kind of peculiar that she has no money but buying things? I’m confused! Your main concern is obviously getting housing but I would demand to know where all the money is, what she did with it if it’s gone and why you all thought it was a good idea to give her the cash rather than pay the bills yourselves or at least with money orders and why was she so behind at the time she asked you all to move in and help her??!! Something is very fishy and idk bout anyone else but I can guarantee I would be extremely hesitant helping you out because it all sounds very scammy to me and why have you all just now found out this info from landlord after living there for months? You all didn’t have a conversation with him and your mil when you all moved in? I imagine most landlords would want and need to know that there are 6 more people moving in his apartment and 4 of them being children!! Idk y’all but shit ain’t adding up!!!

Can’t kick you out, discuss it with him and tell him you don’t have the money that’s owed and ask him to make a payment plan with you. Take your MIL off the lease and put yours and s/o instead. Power company can’t turn off the power either, call and tell them you are new renters and remove your MIL from the bill and transfer to your names.

It is very hard to evict people with children. Talk with your landlord and explain what happened. Give him the $300 you have now as a good faith payment and see if he will agree to work with you by putting lease in your names. Agree to pay an extra $100 or $200 per month till caught up. If he agrees put the utilities in your own name. Never agin help his mother financially in the future. I have helped a family member in the past but always paid their landlord directly. You are young and have learned an important lesson . If your landlord will not agree contact the Salvation Army and ask for help to relocate your family. Research any and all resources out there including a shelter temporarily until you can find a way to rent elsewhere. Many people have responded already with good advice. Take some of it and concentrate on resolving the problem. The mother is an obvious freeloader and she will burn many bridges. Don’t be fooled by her in the future. You have your own children to protect. Apply to welfare if you have to . I know it seems insurmountable now but you will survive this. It’s only a temporary setback and things will get better once you separate yourselves from his mother. I wish you the best.

4 kids and 3 adults in an apartment :grimacing:

1 Like

Do you have a Trustees office or Salvation Army in your area? Check with them and see what they can do to help.

there is funds from the gov to keep people from being kicked out of there apts in NY they cant kick you out due to covid you have til oct to pay up now

Learn a hard thing.
Take her to court.
Isn’t taking $800 grand theft ?