My Family Judges Me for Breastfeeding in Their Presence: Advice?

QUESTION:

"I never breastfed my 2.5-year-old, just wasn’t in the cards for me. Well, my baby is almost two months, and I’ve been breastfeeding her since day one. How do you deal with judgmental family?

My mom constantly is telling me I need to pump bottles, or I need to cover up even though I am, and I just don’t know how to deal with this.

I tell her that’s it’s my body, and there is nothing sexual about feeding my child, but apparently, it’s offending the men in my family if I do it around them.

What do I even say? I’ve never dealt with this, and I feel like it’s only going to get worse."

RELATED QUESTION: My mother-in-law said my child is “slower” than most because he is breastfed: Thoughts?

TOP ANSWERS (AS SELECTED BY MODERATOR):

“Don’t like it, don’t look. I told my family to mind their own tits.”

“Next family meal, give them all a baby blanket and tell them to cover up while they eat, it’s offensive!”

“If you have your own home tell them you’re not gonna see them until they can be an adult.”

They literally cannot see anything unless you’re latching, unlatching. If they are that offended, they don’t need to look. I would honestly have a direct conversation with the man who is likely to influence the other men (and maybe your mom). ‘Mom is saying that you guys are uncomfortable with me feeding the baby. Do you guys feel like it would help you be more comfortable if I answered any questions for you? Or if I give you a 30 seconds heads up that it’s feeding time? It feels like you just need some support like I am needing. So maybe we can figure this out together?’ Direct conversations tend to stop the drama in their footsteps. And if not, don’t go around. When they ask why to refer them back to the conversation you already had."

“If you’re in their home go into a separate bedroom, if they’re at your home tell them to leave that room.”

“Tell the ‘men’ in your family to please leave the room to eat their meals next time, as it’s offending your 2-month-old.”

“I was honestly stressed about feeding in front of people even though I use the two shirt method and you can’t see anything. A few times I’ve been asked if I wanted a blanket and I simply said: ‘No, you can’t see anything and that makes it a hassle.’ I know judgmental families can be hard but I would tell them they don’t need to look. Sounds like everyone is making it a bigger deal than it needs to be. You’re feeding your baby, plain and simple. Just keep doing your thing and if they continue then I’d make it clear you could care less how they feel about something that is completely natural.”

“I would point-blank ask the men why they are uncomfortable. If they tell you, listen, then tell them, ‘I will feed my baby, your niece, etc. when she is hungry. If you get uncomfortable I would suggest leaving the room until she is finished eating.’ Babies naturally breastfeed and I wasn’t able to breastfeed my toddler and I have the opportunity now to make sure my baby girl gets what she needs to thrive. So with that said you can either look the other way, leave the room, or not be around me when she is eating.”

“They can leave if it offends them. You shouldn’t have to hide to feed the baby.”

“Tell them to not look. You keep doing what you’re doing. Don’t let their stupid opinions stop you from doing what you know your baby needs. And honestly, if the “men” in your family don’t have the decency to look away, then that’s on them. Not you. You deserve more respect than that. Don’t give up.”

Have a response to this question? Leave it below to help a mama out! Or leave your own question and get responses from real moms!

READ ALL ANSWERS BELOW:

28 Likes

If you have your own home tell them you’re not gonna see them until they be an adult.

15 Likes

If that’s the way they feel stop going over then … to show them that your not stressing over that and they can stay by them selfs and who ever else they wan to hang out with but your not because you don’t wan to cover up . Screw them

8 Likes

I tell them to F off I’m feeding my child, if they don’t like it you won’t be around :v:t3:

4 Likes

Tell them to F*ck off!!

5 Likes

You tell them to shove it

2 Likes

They can leave if it offends them. You shouldn’t have to hide to feed the baby.

3 Likes

Fuck ALL the way Off…BOOM problems solved

If you’re in their home go into a separate bedroom, if they’re at your home tell them to leave that room.

5 Likes

I would avoid these people and their toxic attitudes what you are doing for your baby is amazing! The health benefits the bonding :heart:

4 Likes

Ignore them. Tell them you want them to be a part of the child’s life but you refuse to listen to a word they say if it hurts your feelings. Then pack your stuff up and LEAVE.

Do not ever let anyone make you feel uncomfortable or the need to ‘cover up’ while feeding your baby! Be proud to breastfeed your baby :baby:t2: Tell then to F off if they don’t like it :roll_eyes:

If you are in your own home tell them to fuck off. If you’re in their home go to a different room. Although their opinions are stupid, it is their home.

Tell them to fuck off and put a blanket over themselves while they’re eating because you find it repulsive to watch. :woman_shrugging:t2:

Do what is best for your baby and you. They are being ignorant.

1 Like

They literally cannot see anything unless you’re latching, unlatching. If they are that offended, they don’t need to look.

I would honestly have a direct conversation with the man who is likely to influence the other men (and maybe your mom). “Mom is saying that you guys are uncomfortable with me feeding the baby. Do you guys feel like it would help you be more comfortable if I answered any questions for you? Or if I give you a 30 seconds heads up that it’s feeding time? It feels like you just need some support, like I am needing. So maybe we can figure this out together?”

Direct conversations tend to stop the drama in its footsteps. And if not, don’t go around. When they ask why, refer them back to the conversation you already had.

7 Likes

Dont like it dont look. I told my family to mind their own tits

1 Like

I breastfed or attempted too with 3 kids. While I agree you are providing nutrition for the child. I also know that not everyone is coftamble with seeing your breasts. It is not a sexual thing. It is about how they were taught about modesty. If you know, they might not like it. Go to another room or cover up. Honestly pumping will allow others like a partner or your mom to feed baby. It will give you a break.

2 Likes

I was honestly stressed about feeding in front of people even though I use the two shirt method and you can’t see anything. A few times I’ve been asked if I wanted a blanket and I simply said “no, you can’t see anything and that makes it a hassle”

I know judgmental family can be hard but I would tell them they don’t need to look. Sounds like everyone is making it a bigger deal than it needs to be. You’re feeding your baby, plain and simple.

Just keep doing your thing and if they continue then I’d make it clear you could care less how they feel about something that is completely natural.

2 Likes

Literally go full frontal in front of them with a baby on each tit & tell them to piss off. They are the issue.

Shouldn’t be you leaving if it’s them being offended. Don’t like it, leave; that simple. You’re not doing it for them anyway! For people expressing their opinions, that’s all it is, is an opinion, doesn’t mean they’re right.

1 Like

We wouldn’t be able to make milk out of our breasts if it wasn’t normal/wasn’t supposed to be used to feed our children. It really isn’t a big deal; society has sexualized this. If the men of the family are not comfy, they can stay away until the baby only eats solids. :woman_shrugging: I’d tell my mother that she either deals with it or just don’t come visit until the baby no longer requires breast milk as well. :roll_eyes:

Next family meal, give them all a baby blanket and tell them to cover up while they eat, it’s offensive!

18 Likes

These are probably the SAME type of people that complain about wearing a mask but they want the baby to be covered while he/she is feeding. Ignore their asses. Babies need to eat. If the men in your family are so offended about a baby feeding, they can leave the room. :woman_shrugging:t4:

Tell them all to stay the fuck away from you if feeding your child offends them

1 Like

Tell the “men” in your family to please leave the room to eat their meals next time, as it’s offending your 2 month old.

6 Likes

What would I say??? I’d tell them all to f* off.:woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Tell them stop having sexual thoughts about a nursing family member or leave.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be going around people who spoke to me about doing what is the biological norm and best thing for my child.

1 Like

I attempted to cover at first, my kid hated it. I did use it as an excuse to leave the room sometimes. But also I literally pulled the whole boob out of the top of my shirt sometimes.
Try the 2 shirr method IF it makes you more comfortable. Breastfeeding tank under a t-shirt, they won’t be able to see anything. I was more self-conscious about my tummy chub than that someone might see some boob. But pumping sucks. I didn’t pump more than necessary.

Squirt them in the face with breast milk?? Girl tell them to mind their own business

2 Likes

If they are uncomfortable tell them to leave the room because you’re not going anywhere

Spray em lmao it’s not hard for them to just look away and not watch

1 Like

I think they should just look the other way if they dont like it .you keep feeding your bubba ignore them .

1 Like

I simply wouldn’t go. My child’s and my own comfort is more important than anyone else’s. Don’t want to see me BF then you don’t want to see me :breast_feeding:t2::woman_shrugging:t2: I hid away in a corner or another room when I was feeding my first. Decided after that never again. I felt like I was doing something wrong. Next kids I just announced I was going to feed my kids and did turn away when latching and unlatching. My dad would go take a walk into the kitchen and my FiL would read a newspaper or something

2 Likes

I don’t understand when people say they’re uncomfortable around someone breastfeeding. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: I think around male family members you should be covered yes, but if they still complain then they need to leave. :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

It’s their problem let THEM deal with it and continue doing what u r doing. Avoid being with them asucj as possible and make no excuses or attempt to explain- they wouldn’t get it a way. A bunch of Neanderthals!!!

I’d be telling your mum that she has raised her kids the way she wanted to now it’s your turn and if the “men “ in the family were offended by it don’t come around , they sound like they are making a massive deal outta the fact your breast feeding YOUR baby … they need to serious grow up and realise that you are allowed to breast feed your baby . It’s not like your sat with your boob hanging out with a baby attached and the other just hanging there freely . You do you huni don’t let people make you feel bad for feeding your baby xx

1 Like

Fuck em. I cover or leave the room if the people I’m around make me feel uncomfortable but I continue to nurse on.

Their problem to deal with. Not yours

Give them those eye covers for sleeping and tell them if they don’t want to see it then put those on and don’t look. If they don’t eat under a cover neither should your baby and tell your mom to stick it where the sun don’t shine that it’s your decision

I always told everyone if they didnt want to see boobs dont come around me bcuz i refused to cover up. My son hated being covered and he was a preemie 🤷🤷 now there was a cple people i would actually leave and go to my room bcuz i didnt like them (fiances xin laws) to be around me when i was breastfeeding.

I would point blank ask the men why they are uncomfortable. If they tell you listen, then tell them, I will feed my baby your neice etc when she is hungry. If you get uncomfortable I would suggest leave the room until she is finished eating. Babies naturally breastfeed and I wasn’t able to breastfeed my toddler and I have the opportunity now to make sure my baby girl gets what she needs to thrive. So with that said you can either look the other way, leave room or not be around me when she is eating.

1 Like

Tell them to cover there damn heads and mind there business!

If anyone is uncomfortable with you breastfeeding then that are looking too long. If you catch someone staring, ask if they’d like to take a picture. If it’s too hard to cover or you just don’t want to, then don’t. I have family & friends that tell me I should “just use formula” and I simply tell them “no thanks” if they bitch about it, tell them that the baby doesn’t respond well to a bottle. Good luck momma! I know it’s rough with the holidays. I actually use the “baby needs to eat” as an excuse to leave the room for some damn piece & quiet. :rofl:

Tell them to leave if they don’t like u feeding ur child

If they are sexualizing breastfeeding then keep your baby FAR away from them. If they don’t like you feeding your baby then tell them to leave, if they want you covered so badly make them wear the cover over their heads lol

1 Like

Personally I would go in the other room or cover up somehow I don’t really want my uncles and cousins looking at my boobs. That’s just me.
But if your family has a problem with it tell them to look away or just tell them that you won’t show up.
And it’s actually not a bad idea to pump so that way you do have extra milk on hand in case need be. I know that wasn’t your mom’s purpose of saying it but a secondary reason is to have extra supply

Not exactly the same but can apply the same principle to the men around you and baby

Just do it momma
Your mom out of all people should be more supportive

I know how it feels to have unsupported family i just tell them that imago what I do and if they don’t like it if men don’t like it the men and people are welcome to leave the room

Tell them to back the hell off it’s your child

Do it anyway. You have rights. If they don’t like it, tell them to eff off!

I always use the 2 shirt method. Tank top underneath my shirt. Breast comes out over the tank top then I pull my shirt up above my nipple. Then no one can see the rest of my breast and baby’s head is covering my nipple. If that offends anyone, they can piss off.

If any one gets offended by you feeding your child then they can leave the room or just leave period.

Cut them off. Period.

Maybe if they’re uncomfortable they should cover themselves

Ask her how she would like to eat her meals with a blanket over her head :woman_shrugging:t3: exactly.

1 Like

It’ll just get worse, like you said. You’ve just got to tell them to deal with it or shovel out the $$ for formula. But if you’re breastfeeding KEEP going. So many women can’t do it and it’s a blessing.

1 Like

Ignore them and keep doing what you’re doing. You’re an adult and allowed to do what you feel is best for you and your child. If the men are uncomfortable then they can get their asses up and leave the room or put a blanket over their heads.

don’t visit around the offended men in the family. problem solved. They can either be offended or stop being offended if they want to visit with you and your family

1 Like

get your own place and you can do as you want-won’t have to put up with family-If you living with mama, it is her house-try to keep peace

If it was me I would just go completely topless at the dinner table when feeding the child then see the ‘men’ be uncomfortable :joy: it’s the most natural thing it’s their problem, they would criticise you if you let the baby go hungry

1 Like

Respect is a two way street

tell them to fuck off, your baby needs to eat just like everyone else, and that happens to not be something you can do for her with your shirt covering you.

Just squirter breast milk at their face every time the make a comment. Your family should be the last people to say anything.

I never breastfed but I know my niece did and when she was at her moms she would go to another room but you are right that is your choice they need to mind their own business

Tell them to not look. You keep doing what you’re doing. Don’t let their stupid opinions stop you from doing what you know your baby needs. And honestly, if the “men” in your family don’t have the decency to look away, then that’s on them. Not you. You deserve more respect than that. :heart: Don’t give up.

1 Like

Then they’ll have to get use to it since you feel comfortable.

I would tell her to mind her own business

Tell them to kiss your ass and do what you think is best for you and your baby! Their opinions don’t pay the bills or feed the kids! A little explicit but true💁🏼‍♀️

Next time shes eating throw a blanket over her head and just her that her chewing is annoying :woman_shrugging:

8 Likes

Go in a separate room to breastfeed

1 Like

Tell them to leave the room if they dont like it! Stand up for you and your baby! I hate when family acts like this!

Do what works for you and your baby

If the men are uncomfortable, they can speak up. Your mom sounds like she’s projecting a bit and using the guys as scapegoats. Loudly announce if anyone has an issue they can come talk to you about it

1 Like

Why is it so hard to be respectful to be respected? Like, feed your kid but why make a big deal about if if other’s prefer not to see it? In your home, yes, do what you want, but elsewhere? Why can’t ppl just find a way to freaking compromise? I’ll never understand. Oh, yes, I’m all about feeding your child!

1 Like

I whip my tittie out and feed my baby they can be offended and fuck off. Dont wanna see it go somewhere else.

Stay away from them.

Oh, I’d be completely naked when I breastfeed next time. THEN they can talk shit. Otherwise, tell them to stfu or gtfo. :woman_shrugging: sorry not sorry, you gotta feed your kid.

Lol I just busted my breast out when my little was hungry. I did kind of sit away from the family but they didn’t say a word (in-laws are very conservative)

I really hope our children and children’s children don’t have to deal with this. It is so weak that people get offended by this. I’m sorry certain individuals in your family are immature and don’t have a growth mindset but that’s not your problem, it is theirs.

1 Like

I started pumping around 2 months… they still had breastmilk but got a bottle during the day mostly… dad got to help out and I got a little more freedom… ps… plz don’t bash but I grew up to cover up and was never comfortable openly breastfeeding

2 Likes

At 2 mos old babies are typically nursing a lot so it’s hard to have to leave the room every time, youd feel like you’d never see anyone! as my daughter got older she would get distracted, or pull at a cover, so I often leave the room or if I’m in a room people tend to migrate away if they aren’t comfortable but I feel as though the babies head pretty much covers most of the breast anyway, or maybe my daughter has a big head :woman_shrugging:t4::joy: hopefully you are able to get through this and don’t let anyone pressure you into bottles if you aren’t ready for that. I also didn’t breastfeed myself two older children and this time took full advantage that it came so naturally for both of us!

Tell them if they don’t like it tough titty. Breastfeeding is a natural thing.

Next time they sit down to eat go take their plates and tell them that their eating is offensive to you

2 Likes

Don’t listen to them.the baby needs the norishment and anti bodies they from the breast milk,it’s also cheaper and always the right temp

1 Like

Tell her point blank If you can’t respect my parenting choices then your relationship with my kids is over. Put your foot down & be firm. Ignore her until she apologizes & agrees to let you parent your children. The holidays are almost here. She’s going to miss her grand babies. Let her. Don’t give in. If you give in to her now she’ll continue to undermine your parenting for years to come.

You should ask all of them to put a sheet over there head while they’re eating. And ask them how much they enjoy the heat, and how uncomfortable it makes them feel. I’m sorry but if my mother even said anything like that I probably would have squirted milk at her already lmao. If you want to breastfeed without having to make bottles do it. As you said it’s your body and if they don’t like it have them look away they should be accommodating you and your child not the other way around.

1 Like

It is not worth arguing over. Go to another room out of sight. But keep breast feeding.

Breastfeed your baby, to hell with everybody else.

Tell them to fuck off?
Tell them watching them eat makes you uncomfortable? Ask them to eat with a blanket or something covering their heads? Its absolutely natural to feed your baby! If they dont like it… dont look simple :woman_shrugging:

I would STOP going around those men in the family. Only a weirdo would get uncomfortable with a child eating. & for your mom is just tell her to back off entirely. She doesn’t need an opinion on what you do with your babies or when.

1 Like

I’m still feeding my 15 month old and some family members are offended by it, I laugh - they’ll hate it even more when my youngest arrives in 20 weeks and I feed both! Even more so when I’m feeding both as toddlers :joy:

I actually won’t feed in front of the people who don’t like it anymore, which shortens visits and they hate that even more :joy: visits will be only moments when my newborn is cluster feeding :joy:

For me I always covered when I was not in my own home or if I had company. It didn’t have anything to do with how others felt but I don’t see why women feel the need to whip a tit out for everyone to see. I guess I’m more modest than that. I don’t see why it’s so hard to put a light cover over yourself. Yes your feeding your child but have some self respect. I breast fed all 3 of my kids, everywhere, it was never an issue to make sure my tits weren’t hanging out. 🤷

I’d be concerned with the men in my family perversely watching me feed my child!
Also, Mother has issues with those men. None of them said they were uncomfortable. Only mom says they are.
Ya throw a towel or small blanket over yourself and feed that child. :innocent:

Everything is different now than it used to be!So please just try to understand the older generation and their modest ways!It is supposed to be private!When in public if you don’t have bottles that you’ve pumped then cover up!When at you Moms cover up or go to the other room!We all must be more understanding if we want people to understand us!

Lemme guess: Your mom never pumped. It’s not a substitute for breastfeeding, so she can gtfoh with that crap. Seriously. Don’t get me started. :rage:

Cover up only as much as you need to make you and the baby comfortable. If you’re in a quiet corner with your baby, anyone who doesn’t want to see can look the other way. You and your baby have as much right to occupy space as anyone else in the family.

Good on ya for breastfeeding! Hang in there and enjoy your baby.

3 Likes

You married into his family so try to get along. A lot of older people ( including me somewhat) believe it should be done privately or at least be covered. It will not hurt baby to be covered no matter what anyone says it helped my baby go to sleep.

1 Like

Shame on anyone who thinks men are incapable of not watching a breastfeeding mom :rofl::rofl:
OP listen… only little ass boys with no home training and perverts will decide they can’t control themselves and try to look. Real men, respectable men are not like this. I’ve breastfed 4 kids and only dealt with these types of man children MAYBE a handful of times. If you dont keep company with those types of men you’ll be fine as far as weirdo peepers go.
Its not the same as looking at someone’s ass, again, we’re sexualizing children with that comparison🤦‍♀️ gross

3 Likes

Tell them to leave if they don’t like it. Baby comes first

3 Likes