My fiance wants to adopt my son but my family is against it: Advice?

I think you’re moving too fast. Any concerned family would be uncomfortable with this.

Also, having a partner that your family doesn’t even like is going to make things 1,000 times harder on both of you. You’ll constantly feel pulled between the 2. Not saying you shouldn’t be with someone just because they don’t accept them, just be aware of what that means for your future.

I think you should slow things down and give your family more opportunities to get to know her. Hopefully, they’ll warm up to her. If not, you need to decide what your future looks like but I would take it easy on being in a hurry to have your son adopted.

1 Like

You just sound really desperate that you need someone to adopt your kid after being together for 6 months. Like that’s completely ridiculous

10 Likes

You’ve known them for 6 months? That’s like letting spot the dog be his parent

3 Likes

That would be a hard no for me. Not after 6 months.

7 Likes

Personally, I’d wait much longer than 6 months…

6 Likes

I think you should do what you feel is best for you and your son, not what anyone else thinks or wants you to do. If you go through with thid now, ask yourself if you and your partner split up, is this someone you feel you could co parent with and want in your life forever if you’re not together. Don’t think of how great it can br right now, think of how it could be years from now, is this someone that is good for your son, does she treat him well, do you agree on parenting?

Your life not theirs! What is best for your son?

Id wait another two yesrs …

3 Likes

Do not make a lifetime decision for your child after only 6 months. You dont know someone after only six months.

14 Likes

You do what YOU feel is best for your child. But if something happens to you 5, 10, 15 years down the road your family can legally take him from a man that has been his father for all those years and he won’t be able to do a thing about it.

No way lol 6 months isn’t even enough time to fully KNOW someone let alone give them rights to your child!

7 Likes

…6 months? Nope. That Is way too soon.

5 Likes

While I’m super glad you found someone who loves you and your child, I agree that waiting is best. Crazy doesn’t usually show up until it’s too late to back out.

5 Likes

Multiple red flags. Proposal, adoption within six months of dating. Too much too soon. Your family has a better perspective. Adoption, even marriage should be based on a loving, devoted relationship that has evolved for years, not months.

7 Likes

That’s a hard NO. This is a CHILD!, You’re allowing a strange to adopt your child? Yah, sorry your family is absolutely correct

1 Like

I’m gonna be the odd ball out and say yea, you guys are still together in 6 months make it a one year anniversary thing. My fiancé talking about marrying from 3 months in I didn’t even think we would make it two months but here we are almost two years later getting married in 2021 and adoption is :100: on the table

It’s a big fat NO, sex will make a person do and say anything. 6 months is no time to know a person.

2 Likes

Six months? Are you kidding me? How about you wait at least two year’s to see if she is going to be a good parent before you through that at you’re kid. Your supposed to protect him. You can’t do that when you give a piece of your kid to someone who could be just trying to make a good impression. Let’s see if she is still dedicated to him in two year’s.

1 Like

I think being together and talking adoption after only six months is a no go for me. Way too soon to know if they will bond. Too soon to know if she’s narcissistic or abusive. WAY TOO SOON. Do not give anyone rights to YOUR child with so little time in the relationship. Now years? Heck yes. But months? Heck NO.

2 Likes

As far as the child being adopted, I would say it’s too soon. I was married for 7 years, we were together for 11. I left the marriage and met someone through my sister. It wasn’t anything super serious. I got pregnant only after 4 months of knowing him. He immediately was like look, I want our child to be in a two parent household. Can we give this a shot? I don’t want to look back and say we never did. We are still together almost 3 years later. He has taken on a father role to my children from my previous marriage. It was very fast and unexpected but life has a way of showing you what you need. :slight_smile: Good luck!

I would say 6 months is a little sudden & could negatively affect kiddo in the long run. I’d wait.

My husband didnt even meet my child until we were dating 6 months. Why this rush.

5 Likes

Please do not let your partner adopt your child . You truly do not know a person in six months . I had a second husband who wanted to adopt my kids and I totally refused . So glad I did . He turned out to be abusive and we divorced after 9 long years of marriage .

3 Likes

6 months? You’re rushing things.

2 Likes

No harm in waiting for another year or so. Don’t rush into this, for your child’s sake. One never knows a person completely in the 1st 6 mths.
Take your time, get to know each other, and love the child (and look out for his best interests) while you’re doing that.
Sorry but I agree with your family and doubt their view has anything to do with being obsessive. Only that they love you & the child & are being cautious. It never EVER hurts to be cautious and take time with a decision as important as this.

4 Likes

It’s only been 6 months. I agree with your family, you need to wait.

2 Likes

No. It’s only been 6 months. Wait until you’ve been together longer. You’ve barely had time to get to know this person and them wanting to suddenly do something like that is a red flag for me

2 Likes

Don’t u think ur rushing things a little. U met someone, started dating, introduced ur child to them and are now engaged all in 6 months?! U don’t know someone in 6 months and I agree with ur family. U say well if we split ur child will have two loving parents but u have no idea if that’s how it would be. U can’t know that this soon. Why not take ur time and it’s meant to be it will be. And if I was the judge I wouldn’t approve an adoption after 6 months, it’s not as easy as u think it’s going to be.

4 Likes

You’ve only known this person 6 months, it takes so much longer to truly get to know someone and right now your thinking only with your emotions and not your head. Let the dad sign away his rights but I would wait till you’ve been together for a couple of years before making a big life decision for your son.

1 Like

Wait a while to be sure

You’ve only been together for 6 months? Umm no way. I’d say your family is right.

2 Likes

6 months it’s not long enough at all

2 Likes

I’ve been with a new guy for a year and he hasn’t even met my kids yet. You guys need a therapist before a fiance and an adopter. Jeez

1 Like

I would say that she can adopt in time, and right now is to soon. However, your family has absolutely nothing to say or do with it. He is your son and when you get married, she’s going to be in his life anyway. Just take it slow, let him adjust to her, and then proceed.

If your Son and you are fine with it from the heart go with it. :heart::two_hearts:. Your family should be happy for you all​:two_hearts::pray:

1 Like

The two of you haven’t been together long enough to make that decision 6 months is not enough time to know someone note to even think of them adopting your child I wouldn’t even think about it until you’ve been together at least a year or two maybe even longer

Your family shouldn’t have a say in this. If his biological father wants to give up his rights & your SO wants to adopt him & you are fine with this…why not?

1 Like

It’s only 6 months. I’d wait a bit. Why the rush?

Waaaayyyyyy too soon! Honest opinion!!

1 Like

Bio dad is in a hurry to end child support payments I’d bet, but why is your 6-month flame in such a hurry to get married & adopt your child? I see red flags all over this relationship! :triangular_flag_on_post: :triangular_flag_on_post: :triangular_flag_on_post: :triangular_flag_on_post:

4 Likes

My husband and I got pregnant within a month of being together. We have 2 kids and will be together 15 yrs in May. Sometimes things happen for a reason. For as far as your family having a say in it. It is none of their business. When the time comes and she adopts him that is your guys business. Just please make sure this is what you want to do. Good luck.

You’ve only been together 6 months. No way.

2 Likes

6 months… no ma’am

2 Likes

If you notice almost. Everyone of these replys start off with no it’s been only 6 months so I think they are right. Your in that I call pink cloud place.where everything is wonderful.
Please give it a least another year or so. I think it’s nice she is willing to except your son
.i mean No disrespect by what I am about to say. But she kinda has to except him at this point if she wants to be with you. Just think about it. What if she didn’t except him . you surly would want her being his mom
Which brings up more questions .where is his mom ? How old is your son? Does he want this? Many people can be fake until they get what they want. Which is you. I seen. It happen two different times and wow you don’t want that . so relax .
this shouldn’t even be talked about for at least a year or more. See how thing go . you never know but would. It not be better to be safe than sorry. Just say please step back and look at the whole picture. Give it time best wishes to u and your son

1 Like

It’s not their business… But also, she doesn’t need to adopt your kid when you marry. There’s time. :blush:

1 Like

It’s your son it is up to you and only you. But letting your son know them and getting married after 6 months is too soon. You cannot say you know that person from head to toe in six months…

1 Like

After 6 month’s??? Please tell me this is a joke. Of course it’s great it always is in the beginning. You don’t know each other enough to even know if you want to give half your child to another. Why the rush? That’s what’s weird. You can marry and wait till you know for sure that this is who you want in your child life 4EVER.

1 Like

Six months seems to fast. My dad wanted to adopt for a while but my parents waited a few years. It can wait a little build a good relationship then come back. If you both still feel the same go for it

2 Likes

Maybe consider this after several years together, trust me you don’t know this person. I was with someone for 12 years before I saw terrible sides of him

This person could even be a pervert have you had him checked out, any criminal records or arrests

1 Like

6 month together is not really that long. I would wait a bit. But, your family can have their own opinions on things but this is honestly between you, your partner, and the bio dad. It’s your decision to go thru with it all

I agree with your family

Sounds like your family is trying to PROTECT your son. :clap:t2::clap:t2: Good for them.

2 Likes

6 months isn’t that long to pretend to be a good person. Frankly, this post is insane. It wouldn’t even a consideration at 6 months of being with someone.

3 Likes

I think it’s stupid and irresponsible to allow someone you’ve only known for 6 months to adopt your child.

Do what you want with yourself and your relationships, but you’ve known this person for only 6 months, which means, you actually don’t know them at all. Everyone is on their best behaviour during the first year, the second year things start to come out and by year 3 you can say you really know them.

If this person is here to stay, then you can wait a few years before you start talking adoption.

5 Likes

Please give it some more time then six months , that is way too soon

Maybe you are too desperate for a partner?

2 Likes

Your child always comes first

I would wait a bit to get married and adopt. 6 months is part of the happy honeymoon stage ppl sometimes act different after this timeframe I’d do between a yr- 2yrs of being together… I’ve see lots of people make adoption part of the wedding ceremony its seams really nice. Google can probably provide lots of cute ideas on that.

2 Likes

Sorry but your partner really doesn’t know your child. Yous have only been together for six months. What happens if you split up and you going to get your next partner to adopt the child as well…I would wait a few years to see if it works out

2 Likes

Why? Why are you like this? Adoption? After 6 months of knowing someone!? Wtf please don’t. Wait a few years.

1 Like

6 months is a bit too soon to be talking about adoption. I would wait a year or two. This is your child you are talking about, not a puppy.

Ultimately it’s your sons choice but 6 months seems a little quick for adoption. How much is she bringing it up if it was mentioned once or twice meh, or if it’s been brought up regularly would be flags for me. By all means marry if you choose but wait a few years before you let anyone adopt your child… talk to your mum, trust your mum.

1 Like

Play it safe for you and your child. No harm will come with waiting

You don’t think your family should be voicing an opinion but here you are, seeking the opinion of complete strangers to make a huge decision for your son?? Hmm.

3 Likes

6 months is a small amount of time. give it more. its a piece of paper

2 Likes

Its ur kid. Not theres. Fuck em

Omg this entire post gives me anxiety. Please for your son listen to your parents. They have only your son’s well being at heart.
They have been obsessed… um so they have been great family members making sure they are in his life as much as they can or doing what they can for him etc you should love that you have family members who want to be in his life and make sure he knows he is loved and care for by them.
Don’t throw that away take things a little slower what is the worse that will happen. . Is there real need to rush the adoption??
I’ve been with my partner for nearly 5years we have a child together and he hasn’t adopted my son but talks and acts like he is his own. We don’t need a piece of paper when they are in their life being that parent to them that’s all we need.

2 Likes

I think you should do what you think is best. It is your life and some of you guys are being very mean. I have met many couple who marry 2 months after meeting and have been together for years. If you feel safe and secure with your partner being in your sons life then let them adopt.

And some of you need to be a little less judgemental. This is supposed to be a safe place for us, not a place to knock each other down

There’s no rush. I say be patient

4 Likes

It’s your family and your son. The only legal person who has a say is the biological father, and if he is ok, then go for it. You create the family that you want.

6 months is way too soon. Give it a few years. It’s only a piece of paper but if you spilt could cause you a lot more hassle

10 Likes

6 momths is too quick.
Wait til at least a year

7 Likes

Take your time mama. That’s a short amount of time. Please think of it as your son has know a person for 6 months and now they are engaged with his child along for the ride. Your family have y’alls best interest at heart or so it seems. Are they against the amount of time that you and your fiancé have been together or are they against you marrying a woman? Something in between?

1 Like

Do you mean 6 years ?

1 Like

6 months is too soon. You guys are still in love the honeymoon phase. Give it another year. If you do get married and she still wants to after that, then talk about it. But right now…way too soon.

3 Likes

They have every right to voice their opinion, just as anyone does. Whether you consider their opinions is up to you, just as whether you consider the opinions you read on here. Personally, I try to listen to all legitimate concerns and sound opinions when they are offered.

That being said, marriage is not a family decision. It’s a couples decision. Your freedom to marry who you want doesn’t end with your family’s consent.

If you’re interested in my opinion, I think 6 months is far too soon, even if it was the best/worst 6 months ever. Neither decision (marriage and adoption) should be rushed nor perceived as a simple act. My cousin did exactly what your fiancee did, adopted two children from a woman’s previous marriage. She flipped on him, left, and now he has pays child support for two children he isn’t biologically related to, has no custody of, and never gets to see. I’m not saying that is what will happen here and now, but I am saying think about the situation you’re going to put you, your son, and your fiancee. Do not go into this simply because you’ve been happy the past 6 months.

2 Likes

You said your family doesn’t have a voice in the matter but you came to Facebook to hear out complete strangers.

4 Likes

After 6 months?? Are you serious lol

7 Likes

Six months is NOT long enough to make that kind of decision.

6 Likes

In 6 months? No maam. Wait a while and see.

5 Likes

Give it time, a few years at least then reconsider

If it works for y’all do it! If YOU think it’s the right and best decision that’s your choice to make!!! You’re a grown adult and need to be happy with whatever decision y’all make! :slightly_smiling_face: I’m engaged after knowing my future husband for 6 1/2 months and it’s the best decision we ever made! Couldn’t be happier…And it’s just that. OUR decision. Just like this is yalls! People can give advise and opinions but they’re not living your life. Your choice!!

She proposed to you???

Wait at least a year

Wtf 6 months? No way. Too soon

4 Likes

6 months? :flushed: that’s just a wet weekend I’d wait 5 years.

6 Likes

I would give the relationship more time to develop, ripen and come down from that first blush of newness and excitement before taking such a serious step. But how and when it should be done is NOT a group decision. It is between you, your partner, and the child in question.

1 Like

My kids wouldn’t even meet a new partner until 6 months… Let alone allow him to adopt them.

9 Likes

6 months??? HELL NO. You barely know each other. How irresponsible.

10 Likes

I got engaged at 6 months married at a year. Been together for 20 years now I wouldn’t change a thing. I thought this group was to support each other not tear each other down. Everybody has their own story let them live it.

6 Likes

6 months? Way too soon in my opinion, and very irresponsible on your part. You two barely know each other.

Your family isn’t living your life. If you’ve thought this out thoroughly and are okay with your partner having rights even if you guys don’t last forever then do what makes you happy. Your family should support you no matter what…

1 Like

6 months and you already want them to have rights to keep ur kid???

1 Like

Your child’s happiness comes first .give your relationship a chance to work and then maybe go ahead for adoption … but if the father of the child doesn’t want any responsibilities towards his child the decisions fully yours… not outside family… all the best to you both I wish you happiness and enjoy this love you have found with each other baby will thrive because of it .

6 months is a short time. Not saying it won’t work out and you won’t be together for s long time but I would wait until you are married . Always keep your child in your best interest. Once adopted that person can get custody if anything happens between you .

2 Likes

It’s not their place. You are the mother. You decide what’s best for your son. If you agree to marry this person, they are going to be a parent to your child. I’m not sure what the law says about it, but allowing them to adopt your child will give that person more parental abilities than a step-parent. Maybe agree that if you reach a certain marriage milestone (5 years) then they can adopt your child. It’s too soon to tell whether you want to give partial custody to someone you haven’t know that long.

Ive been with my so for over a year and we have discussed the possibility of him doing this with my 2 year old daughter. Her father likes to pop into her life as he feels he needs to. It has caused much tension between me and my so. He wants to tell the dad step up or screw off. And if the dad doesn’t act more like a dad should then he wants to adopt my daughter. She still calls my so Daddy and in every way he is her daddy. So I know the feeling. We have similar issues with him adopting her due to other family be it my so or the bio dads stepping in with disapproval…

2 Likes

BECAUSE ITS ONLY BEEN 6 MONTHS! You need to take your responsibility to make smart decisions for your child more seriously.

1 Like