My five year old has the worst attitude, what should I do?

My 5 almost 6 year old daughter has the WORST attitude and most times behavior.. its either her way or no way.. I'll ask her to do something so many times, she doesn't budge til I raise my voice, simple things like get dressed, brush her teeth, eat her food, tidy up her mess, small things!!!! And still half the time she ignores me or throws so much attitude, from the way she walks to the way she talks. It's sooo draining, everything is a fight. It's the worst when you tell her "No".

I don’t wanna hit her, I don’t find it a good method, I do give her time outs and take things away but still doesn’t work. She will be good for an hour or so after getting yelled at or thing taken away. and back to her sh!t. I’m so lost, and don’t know what to do. I feel like a failure.

Also let me add, I do ask nicely so many times before I do raise my voice, but most times if I don’t yell at her it’s like I’m not serious enough for her to listen or something. This is all also new, I never used to yell at her like barley ever, now it’s becoming a daily thing. I’m over it. It hurts my feelings and I feel mean. She has a younger sibling looking up to her, and this isn’t good for any of us.

74 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. My five year old has the worst attitude, what should I do? - Mamas Uncut

Part of growing up, learning independence.

Sounds silly but is Ur time out where she can see what everyone else is doing xxxx cos my daughter was so bad I don’t know how she made it to 13 wait I don’t know how I did 13 years off her and nothing worked with her and believe me I try everything I won’t spank my kids but one thing that worked was putting her in her room and not talking to her no matter what she said or did in there she hated that and it’s the only thing that worked and still does for now xxxxx

This sounds very normal, very typical.
They do this from 3 1/2-6 years. Then it’s smooth sailing till 11. Girls anyways.

I have teen girls and toddler/child boys.

Everyday I keep a strict routine. I go over it with them every morning. Then I repeat my routine as I go. I sometimes have to devote my entire morning to pushing them forward…

For big things I definitely do time out… they know, no hitting. So immediately time out.

You are the parent. She is the child. Make sure she understands that. Start taking away privileges and only give them back when she starts behaving better. Make her earn her entire room back if she doesn’t maintain good behavior. Tell her how it makes you feel when she behaves this way. Tell her it hurts your feelings. Do not buy her toys or take her places until she’s earns that privilege. Do a rewards chart with stickers. Every time she behaves or does something, give her a sticker and make her work towards a special surprise when she gets 5 stickers. Maybe set a goal that she can achieve easily, reward her for that goal and show her how proud you are that she achieved the goal … maybe that will encourage her to straighten up. If not, get a chair, face the wall, and do not move until she knows how to behave. Make sure she understands that SHE is choosing to sit in the chair because SHE is choosing to misbehave.

7 Likes

Would say is a growing pain.
Ask her, what the problem is? Why is she not listening and setting a good example for the younger one? Ask what is wrong? How can we fix it? Post a list of activities she is to do and reward with a star or sticker.

Talk to her. She may have something to say.

1 Like

Going through terrible twos with my first born and it’s HORRIBLE. I pray and pray about it and discipline her after I try talking to her but she constantly yells at me and screams until she gets what she wants. I can’t even take her in public she embarrasses me by throwing a temper tantrum.

1 Like

Just want to say, I disagree with the comment about it being “smooth sailing” after 6. My kid is 8 and it hasn’t been smooth at all. Attitudes are at every age. You have to handle them differently as they get older, but girls maintain their attitude and sassy ways. At least my kid did and she has been properly disciplined her entire life.

4 Likes

You have to be a little more strong willed than a child. I don’t care how bad she is when you tell her no. Stick to it. She has to get tired at some point. Never give a child their way just because they throw a fit.

5 Likes

I have from 5-18 kids are jerks and no 1 way works. All 4 of mine had different ages and different attitudes. My only advice is buckle up it’s a wild ride :joy: also no spanking and definitely time outs with many many many talks. I can’t stress the many enough. I swear they smell when we are fed up and at the end of our rope. The calm talking scares them far more than losing our shit​:joy::joy:

Stop giving her things back as soon as she is good. Keep them for longer each time she misbehaves.

6 Likes

How long do you take her things away? Take them away for a week at a time and add extra weeks when more attitude or not listening happens. Also lowering yourself down to her level helps. Like as in kneel down and try to talk to her calmly and try and figure out if theres a problem behind the problem.

4 Likes

Dont ever let it be funny that they ignore you. They should know the distinct difference in you voice when no means no… It could save their life, literally. Say they start running toward the road and you yell something for them to stop and they just ignore you…

I have a 3 almost 4 year old. If she doesn’t do what I say I count to 3. At 3, it’s a pop. Ive only ever had to do this a handful of times. Now she knows I’m serious when I start counting in a firm tone and how long she has to get it together. I explain every why or why not. When we communicate, i try to get eye contact and a verbal confirmation. I hold her after if needed, high five, whatever.

I feel that this way is way less “traumatizing” if at all- than the constant day to day fighting damaging your relationship . If what you’re doing is not working and causing more harm than good, try something else…

And I’m well aware that any day it could flop and not work, but so far it has. :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

It is mom’s way not the 5 year old’s way. You are the parent and need to show it. Yelling is not working out for you and really yelling is never a solution. Get down to her level and let her know you are the parent and she will do as you ask. If she makes the choice not to brush her teeth then send her to her room until she obeys. Go back in and say "Mommie says it is time to brush your teeth…now…If she gets an attitude take away tv, toys, etc. Choose your battles and giver her choices like what she wants to wear etc. I raised my daughters with choices and consequences and that works for all ages. Make a good choice then hugs and kisses from mom and bad choice toy taken away but never yelling.

1 Like

Wait until she’s 16😒

2 Likes

I’m so glad I have boys.

1 Like

Ignore the attitude. Your paying attention means she does it more. Let her walk how she wants. She is entitled to be annoyed at you. She is a person. But the more you tell her to stop the more she will do it. So tell her to get dressed. She doesn’t then take her as she is. She won’t brush her teeth, tell her the dentist will be thrilled to pull them later when she has cavities. She won’t tidy her mess, gather it and dump it in her bed. You don’t have to yell to get your point across.

4 Likes

I have a 5 year old son that is the same way I will ask him to do something every once in a while he will be good boy and do it but that don’t happen often the rest of the time it’s me telling no and the reason I am saying no and I get attitude along with fit throwing and anything else you can think of I have done time out don’t work taking his toys games movies all that you could think of and nothing works I try talking to him explaining why we don’t act like that and how it makes me feel still nothing so I got to where I would spank him am still dealing with I was hoping when he started school it would help nope I mean he good as gold for his teacher just not me

1 Like

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. My five year old has the worst attitude, what should I do? - Mamas Uncut

Give her choices so she feels like she’s in control, because that’s what she’s trying to achieve. Do you want to do this now or in 5 mins? Do you want to do this first or this? Shall we do this together or do you want to try it yourself? If it’s something she can’t have, explain why and offer an alternative. She’s testing your boundaries so try to make it a team effort. By giving her choices you are making it clear that things still need to happen, but she can control when/how.

I’ll add, I’m no expert, my daughter isn’t that age yet but I follow a lot of “child experts” on social media and those things I suggested are some of the advice that has been given to others in this kind of situation so I hope it helps! Good luck

4 Likes

What I found worked with my 8 and 9 year old girls with attude was instead of screaming and shouting at them which I ended up doing alot before. I ended up explain why they have to this or that and explained what could happen if they dident like if they dident get dressed and dident go school they would end up getting me and her mum a fine and then we wouldent be able to buy nice things for the house or them. Stuff like that not saying it’s perfect but works says 7/10 time which is better then what I used to do. Hope it helps

Instead of asking her to do those things, get up and do them together, you get dressed at the same time she does you brush your teeth at the same time. Turn off all electric is tv is the distracrion, remove any toys/gadgets. Shouting isnt at all necessary if they are following your lead and you have their attention without distracrion

I have to ask questions instead, like, do you want to wear this dress or this skirt? (Both school uniform) do you want to brush your teeth or tidy your room? (She will choose teeth because it’s the easiest one) etc they feel like they have control over the situation and do as they choose (you ask)

It’s the same as interacting with most other people. Everyone just wants to feel in control of their decisions and actions. So you figure out the best way to present something that needs to be done so that it seems like her choice and she’s in control, that there is something she can work towards and have a pay off for.

Most people, even you, don’t like being told what to do, even when it’s asked of you nicely, the delivery is really the difference in how you respond.

So figure out how your daughter’s brain works and play to that, does she love praise and compliments? If so, you can phrase it as it would be so helpful to me right now if you could do this or this task? Make a big fuss when she does the right thing. You just keeps trouble shooting til you figure out her wavelength.

My kid loves interactive attention and praise. So I sing stupid songs while he does things and when he finishes I change the words to say he’s completed the task and then I tell him how wonderful and helpful he is. Eg. Clean up, clean up, insert child’s name is cleaning up all his toys/cars/trains (until he’s done) then I change it to "he cleaned up, cleaned up, he has cleaned up all his toys. He thinks it hilarious and he gets to feel powerful and helpful and in control. It was a fun collaborative process. It works for now, but it’s just something you constantly have to adapt.

We also use incentives, if you get through your morning routine we can play games on the iPad on the drive to school or we can watch some blippi videos. Stuff like that. :woman_shrugging: Good luck. These little humans come with some serious attitude considering their size lol

Wish i could give you advice on this but my daughters the same and shes 8, feel like nothing you do they listen to its like thier the parents and you have to follow thier rules.

1 Like

A good old fashioned spanking is what’s needed! Bring back the good old days! Just a smack on the bottom mind you!

74 Likes

I cut of screen times on everything with my 2 kids when they start behavioural and emotional reactions and speaking disrespectfully. During the school year their screen time is so minimal. They had drastic improvements in behaviour and problem solving.

Also try guiding you child into the tasks, start it with her and have her finish it on her own, everyone’s participation always gets my kids wanting to do it and have a part in the whole effort.

37 Likes

I’m really not judging, but WHY are some people so quick to jump on the, ohhh, get them tested, etc… unless the baby is showing a shit ton of behavior problems, let them be kids, and let’s ALL admit it, kids can just be ASSHOLES, lol… I love my kids, but man, they’ve all had the regular growing up independence bullshit stage, I have a 28yr old, 22yr old, AND a 2 yr old , so THIS is not my first rodeo

104 Likes

In the morning, or beginning of each week, set up a schedule with her so she knows what to expect each day. Make sure there are free time spaces each day for her to choose an activity or just relax. Try to make the chores fun, no one likes to do them, play their favorite dance music and have a small treat afterward. Kids get so regimented in behavior and activity at school that some act out at home after holding it all together for 6-7 hours. Try to block out some decompression time-my son is usually in sensory overload especially after school pick up time. Tell her how you feel when she acts out, how her older siblings look at her as a role model and ask her how she feels and why she feels the need to act out. Sometimes a calm sharing of feelings can help too.

20 Likes

I’m not really sure if technology is involved.
But I find if they even use so much as a tone with me, bam! Not only do you get time out (minutes per age) but you lose your technology for the day. Not even watching t.v. And if the attitude continues no technology the next day either.
I’m a bit mean, but they have to know when to behave. Just my opinion.

16 Likes

Do you know yelling and fighting with someone is worst thing you can do to them mentally. This is why i don’t understand why people are against spanking. You would rather mentally mess your kid up by screaming and arguing instead of of good old butt spanking and teaching them that they have to do what they need to do right quick. Lol a five year old dont need to be yelled at and taught its ok to yell and argue. They need to be taught that if they don’t listen there will be consequences

19 Likes

Could be attention seeking, boundary testing… do you make her a part of the decisions, encourage positive behaviours… remember more praises than scolds, even if it’s something little. Encourage positive taking (thank you for asking nicely, I like when you say thank you etc…)… instead of yelling ask why are you upset, do we need to practice calming down or using nice words?
Set an expectation and don’t ask more than once before there is a consequences… keep them short and simple. Be realistic and pick your battles and be consistent, it may take time to change the behaviors.

10 Likes

Halt

Hungry
Angry
Lonely
Tired.

Ask her while she starts an attitude these questions in an honest, gentle and sincere way. And then focus on the need behind the behavior.

83 Likes

Don’t let it get to the point you are telling and stop giving so many chances, Ask once, Then remind once, Then punishment whether it’s time out or taking her favorite things. If she doesn’t do it, Leave it, She will face the repercussions as well as see it doesn’t mean someone else doing it for her in the end, If she won’t get dressed, Ask once, Remind, If she doesn’t comply send her to school in her PJs, Won’t eat? Ask once, Remind, Let her go hungry etc …

Don’t buy treats or prizes until such point as they are earned, a chart she can follow and see how’s she’s doing through the week and build toward a reward might be an option. I had a chart with mine and if they got so many stars out of however many per week, They’d get a small prize each Friday after school, If they did it consecutively they’d get a big reward at the 4 week mark etc I let them choose the rewards they were working toward, And just gave up repeating myself, I asked once, reminded once, Wasn’t done? I’d walk it and take ipad, Or consoles etc whatever they were enjoying.

6 Likes

Honestly my third son
Acts just like this so did his older brother. Every kid is different. It normally is just a phase every kid hits at a different age. It will pass.

8 Likes

First let me start with I am a single father of a 10 year old. I’ve been in her life since the beginning and have had her for the last year 100 percent on my own. The problem here Is you. Kids are not stupid. They might not be build a rocket smart yet but they are see what I can get away with smart. All kids at some point test their parents and it’s up to you to pass those tests. You have to remember youre the adult… the boss… you make the rules… not the little princess you have created. Also, there is nothing at all wrong with spanking… there is obviously something wrong with beating. Also, yelling and whatnot is not as effective as you are learning. Kids realize quick that yelling and having things taken away goes away quick… but the sting of that right hand lingers a bit. Remember reward positivity and discipline negativity

21 Likes

Child psychology for her age. The more you understand the easier it’ll be.

6 Likes

I use “first and then” with my 5y/o daughter. For example, if she is upset and flat out refuses usually it’s too late to get anything meanful out of her. So I start by giving her options. She can choose between two tasks that I have chosen And THEN she can do her preferred self-chosen task. First I need you to do this, then you can do that. It has helped tremendously for us, she doesn’t whine and complain anymore about things and if she does it is only for a brief moment.

7 Likes

Everything you described was my daughter from the age of 5 till about 8 now she is about to be 10. But anything I asked her to do it was a fight constantly. I got to where if she didn’t do it or listen I just gave up or if she wanted something I gave it to her just cause I didn’t want to fight with her cause it was so draining. But I sat her down one day and explained that if I have to fight with her to do anything I ask her to or she throws a fit cause she wants something or doesn’t get her way I’m gonna start taking things away and that’s what I did. Toys, tablet, phone, playing outside then I made her go to her room with no tv, tablet or anything and sit for an hour and think about what she did. Also if it was close to Christmas I would say you know Santa is watching you and you don’t want to be on the naughty list because you won’t get any presents and that usually stopped her in her tracks lol hope this helps, I know how exhausting it can be​:heart::heart:

4 Likes

Oh sweetheart. I don’t have any advice I’m afraid as my son is only 3 and we haven’t gone through this yet (thankfully!), but just to say that i hope you manage to find a solution that works for both of you. Sending love mama! :heart::heart::heart:

5 Likes

try giving her a choice of things that need to be done , sometimes when you let them pick it’s not a yes or no question . good luck !

4 Likes

My son has just started to come out of this phase, he was like that from late 5 into now, he’s 6 And a half. Just stick to you’re guns and keep talking her through it mumma :heart: we cant make them do anything we can just guide them

6 Likes

Maybe take all her things she likes away and every time she does something you ask her to do then give her back one thing at the time, I really don’t know the right answer either

15 Likes

Before letting her out of time out do you ask her. “Do you know why you were in trouble?” See if she really understands why she’s in trouble. If she has an attitude when asking for something. Look at her say no not until you ask nicely and speak differently to me. I will not be talked to in a rude way. As long as your being rude I will not give you what you want when you want it. (Of course don’t withhold food or anything important.) I hate I should even have to say that part but people now days :woman_facepalming:. I told my daughter one time I can’t hear rude. So when she tell me (hey give me that now) I’d ignore her then she finally would ask after a few minutes. Can I please have my toy back mom? I’d give it to her. It took forever to get it thru her head she can’t be demanding and rude.

3 Likes

I’m a bit late​:sweat_smile: but I feel like it might be something upsetting her, I know even while being nice and them refusing to listen is very frustrating!! But instead (if she doesn’t know about emotions and how to control them that’s probably why or at least a healthy way of doing it) try talking to her still calm and patient (she learns from you and might normalize yelling and saying “No”) then let her know she can take some time and calm down by herself alone and can come talk to you when she’s calmed down or what I do with my 2 year old his love language is touch and word of affection (and counting) we count so he calms down and starts thinking clearly and I let him know what emotion he’s feeling and that it’s okay and ask him what’s upsetting you and he tries to communicate and let me know and I fix the issue the best way I can, I started this early so he caught on how to do it quickly but it did talk a while! Good luck :four_leaf_clover:

Honestly I end up yelling to after I say things nicely multiple times but I find once we cool off for a little bit that I go have a talk explaining why I yelled and got upset and why he shouldn’t have done that I do also take things away but the talking when we are both cooled off seems to get My point through

Im goimg through the same thing with my 4 (going on 24year old boy). Until he had his 4year check up and it was brought to my attention he actually cant hear softer noises atm… Im assuming your daughter has had her 4year CHaPs check up but maybe a doctor app just to get her hearing tested may be the start of all your issues. Not saying it necessarily is this but always worth putting my experience out if it xan help out another mumma!!

Don’t repeat yourself to the point you are frustrated and yelling. Let her know what you want from her in a simple, calm way and make sure she understands. If she doesn’t do it give her a second chance and tell her she will go to time out if she doesn’t do it. If she still doesn’t listen after the warning, time out it is. Don’t need to argue with her, just put her in time out and let her know why and how long she will be there for.

1 Like

A spanking never hurt a kid

11 Likes

Quit giving the kid so many chances. They act up? Explain the consequences if they don’t do what their told and then tell them again. If they don’t listen the second time….NO MORE ASKING…go straight to the consequence. Once they realize that mom/dad is t going to repeat themselves a bunch of times, they’ll do what they’re told.

1 Like

This sounds like my daughter at that age and now my son at 4. Part of it is just waiting them out, there was lots of yelling involved with my daughter, I’m trying to stay calmer this time round for my own mental health. We started seeing a psychologist as we suspect my daughter has adhd and that helped a bit. Learning some strategies and getting her talking to someone who isn’t mum

1 Like

Make her do chores. That’s what happened to my house you see I’m a bonus mom to two amazing children so I can’t punish the children the same way that Mommy and Daddy can however I am allowed to do some things so when my daughter or my son gives me attitude or doesn’t do what they’re supposed to I put them to work nothing extremely hard you know age appropriate stuff sometimes I’ll have them wipe off some stuff that’s already cleaned but the point is is I would make her do some work. I don’t know if it’ll work for you but it certainly cleaned up my kids as attitude towards me pretty quick

3 Likes

Yall are telling me my 3yr old eventually is gonna start having this phase? Oh lord I’m not ready he’s mostly a sweetheart but he’s naughty like any other. But as for advice I learned about giving toddlers two options like you can either get in your car seat or go inside the house instead and I did try this exactly like I just wrote and it worked so maybe something like that but idk I just take day by day this is my first child So I’m not experienced with what’s ahead of me.

We found that my daughter is very chart oriented. She has a paper with empty boxes. When she does something asked, like cleaning toys or putting her platesin the sink after meals, she can color in a box… mind you this thing is huuuge. When the paper is all colored in, she can pick a $5 toy or save the paper and collect them to go to chuck e cheese.

This had worked really well for us, and each paper lasts almost 5-6 weeks.

Good luck mama :heart::heart:

When my girls were young (which was a long time ago) I sometimes had to show them who was in charge. A good smack seemed to fix the problems. I was not a spammer either but sometimes it’s necessary.

1 Like

Spanking isn’t child abuse. My kids got an occasional pop on the bottom, not beat. Geeze
I’m in law enforcement by the way, brother is in law enforcement so I’m not clueless

19 Likes

I have one that is completely disrespectful and I totally regret not spanking him like I did his older brother because man the difference in respect is shocking

2 Likes

Maybe consider having a look at the triple p parenting course. It’s online, and complete at your own pace. Each chapter is video for about 10 minutes. It’s a great way to change things up and get them to actually listen lol! Good luck, I’m sure everything will work out, kids go through their phases! X

My kiddo needs lots of countdowns and choices.

Do you want to brush your teeth in 5 or 8 minutes. She always chooses the later time. Then we count. 8 mins, 5 mins, 3 mins, 1 min. Okay lets go. That has helped to transition her. She needs a countdown for everything. Bath, teeth, getting dressed, getting out if the bath, leaving, homework etc.

This has been amazing for us.

I also have the same problem but she is 3 and doesn’t play well with others too :pensive:

This is what I’ve done, clean out her ENTIRE ROOM OF TOYS! leave the bed and a couple books. Make her earn each and every thing back… may have to do it a couple times. But stick to it.

1 Like

my daughters who’s now 8 is still the same doesn’t get better :sob:

1 Like

My daughter is exactly same age and same behaviour. I just give her a warning and an ultimatum and count to 3 or 5 depending she knows I’m serious as soon as I start counting and usually does as I ask albeit loudly lol

I won’t give you a method but, fix it now, because if you let it fester, it will be so much worse later!!! Randy

Yes ive been there. And taking things away i found works better than time out. Tell her youre gonna throw her prized possessions away and take them away and place them in a garbage bag. And flat out tell her if she do as you say theyll will go out to the curb. But meanwhile tell her she can earn them back if she…?? What behaviors you want her to stop… then tell her what you want her to do instead.
But warning i never threw anything away but did bag it up and placed it our barn where the kids didnt go… my Daughter thought her treasures were gone…
This is a difficult age. But if you dont figure out something that works i càn tell you this this attitude will get worse as they grow more independent… when my daughter was 9 yrs old. I had just went grocery shopping and god forgive me they were all out of her favorite pop-tarts that shed take on the bus each school morning. And any other flavor was not approved by her. So to she got mad at me and went to school and told her teachers she was starving and we didnt have any food. Boom the school reported me to child protection services. Then that early afternoon they were at my house looking at out food in our cabinets and refrigerator and freezers. They found it unfounded but put notes to the effect that a lot of our food was frozen. Which i agree it was in our deep freezer… but why didnt they make a additional note that our microwave wave defrosted?? If you dont get a solution to your little girls attitude she will get worse as she will be making friends. And shell be taking on her friends behaviors and trying them out on you… so you also need to make friends with her friends parents just in case behavior problems are going on in others houses as well. Example a friend of my daughters, well her mother was trying to qualify to being a foster parent for babies. My daughter and her daughter basically eves-dropped in on that mothers phone calls and conversations… some how the two girls figured out that these babies were neglected and abused. Well the girls decided they wanted to be real sisters and my daughter reported me for abuse. Then reported her dad… not thinking these things would be investigated… i guess she thought theyd just take her word for it. Anyhow after months of walking on thin ice because of our daughter… the truth came out that she our daughter wanted to be sisters with her best friend and to live with her at her house or they could live at my house. They just wanted to live in the same house. And over heard what was being said regarding the foster children that was about to be placed with my daughters friends mother…

I never, ever said the word No because sht wd inevitably go down. So I used phrases like 'Do you/I think it’d be better to do it this way…?"…

Girl mine just turned 7 and it isn’t any better. I’m struggling right there with you! Looking through these comments for insight

At 5?
Ya pick her up and put her there.
It’s not optional.

Cuz by the time she’s 10, 12, 13, 15?
It’s a whole different set of rules and tactics, and that’s normal.

Odds are anyone wanting to ‘at’ me? Didn’t actually have and deal with a kid that age and stage.
They’re all doable, most times it’s tougher on us than them.

7 Likes

A simple ass whooping would solve all ur problems. I worked for me as a kid and I’m fine. Parents are too soft nowadays I know a lot will disagree and that’s fine its just my 2 cents

19 Likes

Read the Strong Willed Child by James Dobson. It’ll help you a lot!

2 Likes

Id look into ODD. I have it and I was horrible when I was younger.

4 Likes

Throw all of her stuff away. Right in front of her. Make her do chores. Give her some type of responsibility. Bust her ass.

Try not asking more than once. If she fails to listen then discipline her, take stuff away for a day. Or everytime you have to ask for her to do one thing that’s a day she is grounded from something. Start there. Goodluck

4 Likes

Seek out an ABA therapist…life changing! Ask your pediatrician!

Look into gentile parents books. There are lots of good tools to use in them, like finding ways to emotionally connect when there is a struggle. It’s a lot of a different type of energy needed but it actually helps.

2 Likes

Prayers. One of my stepsons is like this. It’s not your fault.

Oppositional Defiance Disorder. Search it.

Too many people wanting to squash the CHILDREN from the CHILDREN, man, they don’t need to know sign language, they don’t need to speak another language, they don’t need to listen all the time… they’re always trying to learn and gain independence

She sounds spoiled. I will ask my kids one time and one time only to do something. If I have to tell them a second time they lose any privileges. No toys.no TV, no.bed room until bed time. They can sit next to.me and watch the.news until bed time.

1 Like

I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m the oldest mama on here… with 2 grown children, 3 grown step kids, andddd a 2 year old monster/ princess

1 Like

Unfortunately you are experiencing a rebellious stage in your child. This is a normal part of growing up. She’s testing your limits to see how mad she can make you or how much she can get away with before you snap. Just keep doing what you’re doing. It will pass

Give her ultimatums using the three strike rule, tell her nicely one time, ask her again a second time and tell her when you want it done and not to make you ask again and the last time you tell her if she doesn’t do what you’re asking youll give her a consequence and tell exactly what said consequence will be and then give her a time limit to do what you’ve asked and if not completed in time said consequences should be out into action.

Leave her to live in her own filth,when her food is ready throw it onto her bedroom floor.let her live like that if that’s what she wants,believe me she will soon change.

It’s not a good method? Lmmffao you better pull in the reigns before it’s too late. It’s better to chastise them early so they are aware of the consequences. Time outs aren’t a punishment. Talking to them in a cool and calm voice and taking away any and all toys or electronics is a punishment, but what does that really teach???
A firm whipping? That’s more psychological than physical, the act in itself of course is not the only way to get the same results. Lmmffao when I was growing up the whole family had one enforcer. My aunt. She had all the kids in line. And now as I’m much older with grandchildren I reflect back and realize she fooled us all, and I can’t remember her ever yelling or spanking anyone. She took a belt and would pop it together, holding the buckle and the tip of the end in one hand, and the middle of the belt in the other she would push them together and pull them apart fast and it was like a good pop. And that little thing had a long lasting effect. Speak softly and carry a big stick. Lol

Time to beat that ass

Spare the rod, spoil the child.

Good ole prison bedroom fixed my kids. Nothing but your bed and books will remain. A week like that changed my kids tune. It got this far because he was being a bully btw. I was like bullys go to jail as adults. If you dont stop ill show you that experience. Wwll he didnt stop.

1 Like

Flourishing homes and families fb page is great

Watch some episodes of super nanny

1 Like

Visible Child: Respectful/Mindful Parenting has helped me understand problems with my 4&1/2 year old so much better.

1 Like

Sweetheart, if you find this magical remedy, please share :pray::blush::relaxed:

6 Likes

Spank the child in moderation it never damaged anyone when done with love

26 Likes

Patience. Patience. Be firm. Don’t let her walk over you. Your word is final. Take away any privileges including favorite toys or activities as punishment. She needs to learn authority. Also be hard on recognizing good behavior. She puts away her plate after meals? “Well done, honey, you are so Well behaved.” And be genuinely proud of her good behavior too. Positive reinforcement. Be firm. Be confident. Be consistent. If you say, you will do something, then make good on your promise. Good or bad consequence. Therefore also, make sure whatever you do say is a consequence for good or bad behavior is something that you can do reasonably. Don’t say, “I will take away ALL YOUR TOYS.” that’s far fetched. Be specific, “if you don’t clean up your room you won’t be going to a party or to the park etc.” Be specific and carry through. This phase of parenting is hard but once she learns that she won’t be able to walk over authority she will learn to respect you and outside authority better. All the best mom

16 Likes

My 7 year old tended to throw me some attitude every now and then. We decided to nip it in the bud. Our punishments tend to err on the side of removing toys, naughty spot and the most feared… “stoneage” - no electronics, no TV… nada. :rofl: essentially they aren’t allowed to touch anything more technologically advanced than a light switch. :sweat_smile: lol

When I speak to her, she gets 3 warnings and I explain how the way she’s speaking is making me want to put her in the stone age. Then give her examples of how to speak.
Eg.
“NOooo… I DONT WANT THAT ONE!”
or
“Em, no thank you mummy. I’d like a different one please”

But make it clear she is never to raise her voice to you. You are her mother. The attitude can be left in another room.
Speak to her on another level and explain how her attitude affects you. She gives attitude, she pissed you off, you don’t want to spend time with her and as a result. We end up doing nothing at home… :roll_eyes:

8 Likes

My 7 year old son is exactly the same it is absolutely infuriating especially when I’m out in public etc… Iv tried everything even spanking and tbh nothing works I’m hoping it’s just a phase as I read in a book that this is the age they start to test boundaries and see what they can and can’t get away with etc and hormones start to play a role in there behaviour too… just do your best and hang in there sometimes I have to walk away and give myself 5 mins just to try and hold myself together because I’ll lose my shit :joy: just remember it’s normal and your not alone! good luck! X

7 Likes

What I do to my son is look at him and ask if he wants to go to bed? Bc if you have a attitude and don’t wanna listen? Then you can go to bed. If he doesn’t stop after I ask I will pick him up and take him to bed and once he calms down crying ill go back in and ask if he’s all done with his tantrum and then ask him if he’s going to start listening and if he says yes then he can come out and it usually works 9/10 times. Sometimes he’s just overallly tired and needs to just relax. He’ll tell me that he wants to stay in bed at times. Idk it works for me :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

Spanks, wall sits, dont listen to her…longer time outs. Give her attitude back then ask if she likes it. If she says no ask then do you think i like when you give me attitude.

Could always be a different issue? Ie acting out due to jealousy of younger sibling, change to routine etc etc

1 Like