My grandparents didn't listen to my rule about not giving my child cows milk: Advice?

If a grandparent is taking care of your child while you’re at work, and you ask that they only drink water and almond milk - no juices, cows milk, etc.) and you find out they have given your child cows milk, and she has diarrhea everywhere, what would you do? I’ve explained to her numerous times why I don’t want her drinking cows milk, but I also feel I shouldn’t have to justify my parenting decisions.

23 Likes

The grandparents should never go above the mother. Did you provide the almond milk and they Outright did not give to the child?

6 Likes

You are absolutely right you should not have to justify your parenting decisions.

Tell her the child is lactose intolerant they’d listen than.

Regardless of how anyone feels about your decision it’s your child so what you say goes. Period. Even if they don’t agree it’s not up to them!

2 Likes

Give the child cows milk and THEN drop her off at gma’s.

3 Likes

They should not be giving it to her but maybe it is all they had I would suggest that you talk to Grandma again and send her groceries you want them to give your child you can’t expect them to purchase separate groceries for when they babysit for you

5 Likes

If after talking and explaining that the child gets ill with cows milk and they still don’t comply. Find someone else to watch your kid

2 Likes

It’s your child. I just hope you’re supplying the milk you want her to have

2 Likes

Send the child somewhere else?

3 Likes

Its your baby. Find a new sitter.

4 Likes

Grandparents would no longer be watching the child. They’re intentionally hurting the child & don’t care. That’s a problem.

3 Likes

Pay for your child to go to childcare, if you don’t like what the grandparents are doing!

3 Likes

I 2nd the comment to give the child cows milk then take to grandmas. Write a note on diaper and say. Product of cows milk :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

My kid is lactose intolerant to cows milk. I’d be very angry bc that affects your child severely. My kid complains with his belly hurting & gets very uncomfortable when he drinks regular milk. That’s not fair to you or your child to go through that.

3 Likes

Find a new babysitter seeing as she is intentionally harming your child

2 Likes

As long as you supply the almond milk then they should give it to her

1 Like

Explain theyre hurting their grandchild by giving them something which youve Pacificly said not, maybe they just havent gasped the situation xx

More info is needed. Are you providing all the childs dietary needs while at the grandparents or are you telling them what to use but making them buy it all? I understand your wishes but if you are making them buy it all then youre going to have to accept that maybe they cant afford it and will then feed the child what they have available.

6 Likes

Supply the almond milk and explain, again, that cows milk gives her explosive diarrea. If they continue, then find someone else to watch her.

10 Likes

Don’t send her over there anymore. :woman_shrugging:t4: they don’t wanna listen and that could possible cause a child there life, because what if she was allergic?!

Do they have Almond milk?If they don’t buy some and give it to them.

Put your child on daycare or stay home. I don’t agree with what they did but, that’s the chance you take when someone else cares for you children

5 Likes

Supply them the almond milk and the reason. If they do otherwise, I’d take my child elsewhere. My mom gave my 2 lactose intolerant kids what I asked her to and provided. When they were babies, I provided frozen baggies of breast milk that I pumped and she thawed them out and gave them that. It boils down to them doing what is best for the child and if they won’t, then it isn’t good to send them there.

Find a new sitter…its not rocket science. Your child health is at risk!

1 Like

Gramma wouldn’t be babysitting for me again.

6 Likes

Prepare the sippy cups or bottles when you arrive and let them know that this what your child can have.

1 Like

Lmao!!! Find and pay a sitter… or are you relying on grandparents so u dont have to pay anyone because if they are old then why are you even getting them to babysit like really…

7 Likes

I’m feeling details are left out. Did she run out of Almond milk? Did she purposely give her cows milk? I don’t feel justifying this without knowing why.

3 Likes

Find a new sitter! That’s just disrespectful. My 1st born can’t drink regual milk cuz she gets bloated and farts a lot. When i had my parents take care of her i told them that she drinks organic milk and they listen. If they didn’t buy or have any i would give them a carton. Good luck

Are you supplying your grandparent with what they need to take care of your child or are you relying on them buying what your child needs? If you are not paying your grandparent (probably the case here) then pay for childcare for your child. YOU are responsible for supplying what your child needs…if you are then speak to your grandparent and find out why they are giving your child cows milk…if you are not supplying what your child needs then thats your fault.

2 Likes

Her house her rules at her house you have no say her rules not yours dont matter if it’s your child it’s still her house so it’s her rules the child eats and drinks whatever the grand parents want the child bgg to drink you have absolutely no say in the matter plus you dont want to destroy your family and make your husband choose between you and her

9 Likes

Send them the poopy clothes

As long as you’re providing the provisions, they should do what you ask.

1 Like

Yeah any sitter should follow your directions. Diarrhea can be dangerous for lil kids.

Nope.
Take that diarrhea diaper and throw it right at whoever gave her milk.
Bet they don’t do it again.

Tell her she’s allergic

Get a new babysitter.

1 Like

Are you supplying them with the milk you want them to give to her? If not, then either stop bitching or supply it.:woman_shrugging:

My children can not have cows milk either, they have an allergy. I think knowledge is key, explain why they can’t have it . Not because you “have” to but to educate them. If they ultimately can’t understand then find other options for babysitting.

If they are babysitting and you don’t want cow milk but the other you do want. That being said they should respect if. Again if babysitting then you need to provide it

1 Like

Make it very clear that this is your kid and these are your rules. I’m assuming these are her doctors orders too since she has this reaction to cows milk. Diarrhea can dehydrate her and they are doing more harm than good. If they can’t understand that, they don’t need to be watching her.

2 Likes

Let grandma clean up the diarrhea a few times and shell get the picture

1 Like

Put her in day care.

Your boundaries aren’t being taken seriously :pensive: my parents are just like this about my kids. I moved away from them and I make it very clear when they come to visit my children my rules. And I don’t care if they get mad about what I say about my kids. If you wanna be apart of their lives you damn sure need to
Listen to me about them then. If it continues after you’ve had a stern conversation then it’s time for someone else to watch your child. Ohhh you’ve had this talk numerous times with them then it’s time for a new sitter.

Are you supplied the food/beverages? If not, start there…

5 Likes

Well yes they should follow your directions but when you get free childcare sometimes they do things you don’t want. Either put them in organized childcare or know you have to deal with crap from time to time

3 Likes

If you want them to feed your child certain things you need to prove those things. Are they giving the baby cows milk because that’s what they had? Even a childcare that you pay for , you would need to provide specific things you want your child to have.

6 Likes

I wouldnt let them have her anymore.

I told the grandparents if they did it again they would be keeping my screaming boys overnight! Magically they never did it again! Thank god! Our drs recommendation was to try it once every 6 months on them…ehhh no thanks I’ll wait it out for a while screaming boys all night long in pain is rough, not only on me but on them bc then they want to sleep most the next day and schedule is all messed up!

1 Like

Do they have the milk that your child needs. If there’s a special need, should you supply the milk

3 Likes

You want free childcare from your parent? Then you need to provide all the essentials your daughter needs otherwise put her in an actual childcare.

2 Likes

If you are supplying all the almond milk or other things you want your child to eat and drink, then there is a problem. If you are not supplying, cost might be the issue.

3 Likes

They should respect your choices.

They should respect your rules NO MATTER WHAT.

2 Likes

She doesn’t respect you as a parent. She still sees you as her kid. I wouldn’t leave my kids with her any more. Take your child to the doctor, explain the syntoms & get it documented that your daughter had an allergic reaction.

1 Like

If you want almond milk used then you provide it.

2 Likes

Let them clean up the poop mess :woman_shrugging:t2:. Find someone who will adhere to your rules bc grandparents think they can do what they want.

Grandparents are stubborn and don’t listen. You also don’t want to be fighting with them. I’d say find a new babysitter. It’s the best thing to do.

Why is it a problem … unless allergic.

Once I showed my grandma how to use an epi pen in case my son had an allergic reaction, she started taking it seriously and always double checked before giving him anything.

Sometimes, grandma isn’t the best sitter. Find a polite, respectful teen who needs $ for the movies.

I understand if your child is allergic to cows milk on that aspect they need to respect why the request. Have you tried goats milk? It is missing something that ciws milk has and the grandparents might view it as a real milk as apposed to almond milk. Just a suggestion

If you’re bringing almond milk and they just aren’t giving it to the child I’d find someone else to babysit. That’s messed up.

1 Like

If they don’t listen, don’t let them watch her. You are her mother, you know what’s best. If they can’t respect that they gotta go.

4 Likes

Yeah I’d say find someone else… esp if its making her sick

1 Like

I don’t know all your reasons and it’s not my place to judge. But if you tell a caretaker/family member not to give your child something (especially when their tiny body isn’t used to it) they should respect that and listen to you. You are the parent.

Is the milk being provided for the child? If so, then I wouldn’t have them watch her anymore.
If you expect them to buy the milk, then start providing it and see if they give it to her.

3 Likes

Cant respect my decision, you dont have my child :raised_hands: it’s as simple as that.

3 Likes

It’s your child and what you say goes! I’ve been running into the same issue with my in-laws, so I don’t let them watch my son anymore, we always have to be there. It stinks but they got the hint! Especially if it’s hurting your child!! They need to listen to you about your baby! If they don’t respect you as a parent and your decisions then they don’t deserve to be around your child

I would find someone else to watch my child. My MIL gives my daughter sugar all the time even though I told her diabetes runs in my family and to be careful and try to limit her sugar intake, but she still gives her candy, cookies, sweet tea, juice, etc. When at home my daughter only gets water and milk and definitely no candy. We limit how much our daughter goes over there without us. If we are there she can’t give her all that crap. I get upset especially when it comes to tea because I don’t like my 15 month old drinking caffeine. However, I can’t flat out deny my MIL. She loves her granddaughter so we just limit her time there instead.

1 Like

You could find a sitter that isn’t free and then you could fire her when she doesn’t follow your rules

1 Like

Find a new babysitter before they make your kid really sick and low on fluids. Give baby some Pedialyte if they can have it for the fluid loss and tell grandma to come change this baby’s sick diapers and see how bad she feels.

Find another babysitter. Let grandparents enjoy the children while you’re there. This way no tension between the generations. A grandparent is not a built in babysitter. On occasion it’s can be a great bonding time.

Like someone said above, are you providing the almond milk for them to give your child? If you are and they still give her the cows milk then find someone else to watch the child.

Dont give her xyz. She is allergic to xyz.

1 Like

Make sure you take the milk you want them to have which I’m sure you do and give it one more chance. They are your kids and sometime free family babysitting is not the best .

2 Likes

Are you providing the milk?
Otherwise, as a food allergy and food sensitivity mom myself, I’d find different childcare. The damage it temporarily does on the kiddos body is not worth it.

1 Like

If its someone watching your child for free it’s an awkward situation. I had something similar with my father giving my 1 year old chocolate before bed and keeping her up really really late but honestly it came down to different generation, different rules and he honestly never understood this. Many other friends are in the same boat. If there’s reasons behind these choices maybe sit down and explain to them as they might not actually understand. X

Did you provide them with almond milk?

then find someone else to watch your kid… thats disrespectful and dangerous… I am so sorry Mama

Well since they cannot follow the rules then they get the child taken out of their care.

I would find someone else love, especially if they see the reaction it does to her it doesn’t seem like they care
It sounds like your little one is lactose intolerant, most babies cant handle whole cows milk on their tummies til they’re older

If your providing the milk they should be using it. But if your not providing it then they are probably giving what they have. If you want your child on a certain food/drink you need to provide it for them.

Find another babysitter!

Almond milk can Diarrhea also :smirk:

When my son first turned 1, I didn’t mind giving him juice with water, but his nana always gives him a cup of juice, so I stopped giving him juice altogether. My son was born with a dairy allergy that went away, but if it hadn’t gone away, we’d be in bad shape if he ate dairy😬

Tbh, I’d just not let them keep your baby or tell them straight up that what they did is wrong and if you have the issue again, they won’t be keeping the baby anymore.

I would find someone else this is why I never allow my husbands family to raise or watch my kids unsupervised

Take baby back an let grandparents deal with consequences, havnt had that specific issue, but when my grandma babysits she will let my daughter take a nap at like 3pm then when i get off at 4pm she wont let me wake her up, so i make her keep my daughter overnight an she can stay up til 3am with her an get her back on schedule

True your rules but almond milk is truly disgusting.

Find a new sitter!! Ur kid!

I’d be pissed. You trusted them and yes we are all human and make mistakes but what if next times its allergic reaction or something else. You trust them to follow your instructions and if they cant I’d give them hell and if they justify it then get a new care taker for the baby

No you don’t have to justify. You probably ought to consider new sitters.

She wants free sitters :rofl: don’t like it then don’t use them for free care all day everyday otherwise say thank u n b quiet

I’d have them stop watching my kid. Simple. Can’t follow parenting instructions, you lose your privileges

21 Likes

take pictures of the blow out and send them to grandma. “THIS is why she can’t have cows milk. you put your grandchild in severe pain because you didn’t listen”.

21 Likes

you are right. they are wrong and they hurt the child. what options do you have to solve the problem. child care costs are ridiculous and possibly more dangerous than the grandparents.

Do you supply the almond milk? Because quite frankly on top of paying childcare expenses you would also be required to supply special drinks or meals.

8 Likes

Make sure you are providing the child with the milk you want the child to drink. So no excuses.

4 Likes

Have you provided the almond milk as an alternative?

1 Like