My grandson constantly acts out: Advice?

I think it’s time for you to tell your daughter to look for a daycare.

How can a 1 year old have anger issues (your words not mine) he hasn’t even learned how to be a person yet!

5 Likes

Im sorry but 1 years old to me is still a baby. Not a toddler yet in my opinion.

They grab EVERY thing whether its a toy or a wrapper or poop. Anything in sight they grab and explore and play with.

It sounds to me that your 2 yr. Old has a sharing issue and you don’t feel he should share since its “his” stuff. NO one yr old listens. They are just learning and exploring…and need taught.
For someone saying they have 5 kids you sure dont seem to knowledgeable about developmental stages. He is your grandson…and your not treating him very fair for his age. Your acting burdened, and if so…then maybe she should find a new sitter because it sounds like HE maybe better off with some one else caring for him.

4 Likes

Hes literally just a baby. Your need to grow up not all kids are easy. Dont keep him if you can’t handle him

4 Likes

Sounds like it’s you and not the kids. They are 1 and 2! He is just a baby. He can’t speak and tell you what he’s feeling. Also you should have enough sense to learn how to avert the attention of a child. Don’t babysit him anymore because you’re bias

2 Likes

You sound like a horrible grandma! The kid is one! A one year old cannot be bad!

4 Likes

Breakable things replace with something not. Teach with that. One year old’s learn ‘no’ fairly quickly. I took care of my nephew with my son and really fighting over toys wasn’t an issue But a playpen to separate might help or let them work it out. As far as the 1 year old always taking toys from your son at 2years old sounds strange to me. Normally the other way around . Watch more closely what actually happened. If two young ones is to much tell your daughter. I think it is to much for you to handle. Not putting you down just some of us can’t when we get older. I was the other mother since I was 9, I was a great babysitter for others too when parents wanted to get out. But honestly I would not want a large family like we did… Maybe you are at the point where just raising the 2 year is enough. . 1 year old may need another place for when your daughter works?

First off, how dare you call your ONE year old grandson horrible and then claim you love him? Second, at ONE, he doesn’t even begin to understand what stealing is. And if your TWO year old is showing hate, that’s because he is learning it from his momma. Third, if you leave stuff within reach that’s breakable, then don’t be surprised that a ONE year old breaks it. Do that child and his momma a favor and stop watching him, because it sounds as if you resent him for being there. Grandma my ass!!

You’re gross and I wish your daughter could see you’re not good for her child

First of all the one year old is still learning. It is up to you to calmly set the limits and rules. Get playpens to give the babies their own space. A friend of mine even got pet panels to set up in her living room.:grin: They may fuss being confined at first but it sounds like it would be better than fighting. I’m a babysitting gramma, too, but my own kids were grown. The last resort is for daughter to find other childcare, but there’s either financial worries or worries for her baby to go to some stranger. Good luck.

I’m pretty sure thars normal behavior for a 1 year old. My son goes to daycare and from birth to 15 months your in the infant room. Then from 16 to 3 in toddler room so the 1 year old is acting like a 1 year old and a 2 year old should be taught to start sharing. Even so they are both little if they dont listen it’s because of their age

He’s 1 … If you have such an issue with him tell your daughter you can’t watch him anymore maybe she’ll be able to find someone better equiped to care for him that won’t talk about him behind her back

2 Likes

He’s a freaking baby. Good lord. Some of you people shouldn’t be parents. He’s a baby.

The 1 year old would be better off without you,and going to day care,you are a terrible grandma

Well let me just say this … I do have a 2yr(almost 3) & a 1 yr old. & That’s how my kids act everyday. My oldest has always had a pretty calm personality and listens fairly well but my 1 yr old has a very outgoing, energetic personality. They are 2 different people. & They fight over everything. You just have to learn to pick your battles. My 1yr old will do something and no matter how many times I get onto him , he does it again BUT with that being said my 2yr old is whiny , repeats stuff 20x etc. NOT EVERY BABY IS THE SAME. in my case , that’s my everyday life. Yes it can be very overwhelming! But I have to pick my battles.

Wow I’m glad my mom isn’t like you she’s always loved my kids my daughter can be a little asshole and is very strong willed my mom has seen that side of her but yet she has never said anything like that and she loves both of my kids to be around

Lovingly tell your daughter that she needs to make other arrangements.

Ever think that he IS only a baby and hasn’t learned this stuff yet? Ever think that maybe, just maybe your 2 year old just might need to learn to share a wee bit? Maybe your daughter is doing the best she can and is obviously doesn’t appear to be getting any sound advice from you. You put everything on the baby and haven’t said anything about your kid. Anyway, I’m sure I’ll get ripped for saying this but I really don’t care. Stop coddling your kid. He will grow into a bigger brat.

7 Likes

Hes only 1 year old. I’m not sure he even understands much at all. Like right from wrong,not sharing etc. :sleepy: Hes just a baby

4 Likes

He is one!!! He doesn’t even understand sharing and right and wrong. I have four kids and it seems that you are expecting a 1 and 2 year old to behave like a 5 and 6 year old. Of course he goes for your sons toys they are different from the toys he has at home. One year olds, even 2 year olds are learning to explore, they are suppose to get into everything!

26 Likes

Sounds like a grandma that is bitter with her daughter and grandson. Maybe you need to take a look at yourself before you start accusing innocent babies of having anger issues.

10 Likes

I completely understand how this could be overwhelming and stressful, I’m sure you’re doing a great job and don’t be hard on yourself. However you can’t blame a 1 year old. My niece is one, she steals toys from my 6 month old, she’ll hit him if I’m not there to stop her, because she just doesn’t understand yet! 1 is still just a baby. They’re learning still. He’s not trying to be difficult or be mean, he just doesn’t know better. And these two are gonna grow up together, there’s no reason they can’t share their toys. Stay calm, try to set boundaries in the most age appropriate way you can, and help your two year old to understand that the one year old is still a baby and still learning, and they might not know better yet. I understand your frustration, it will get better :heart:

8 Likes

You are expecting alot from a one and two year old. They really don’t understand what they can not do, they’re learning, don’t give up, two toddlers at a time is rough, but they are going to learn and get more manageable, especially if you work with them every day.

12 Likes

I personally would tell your daughter with love and compassion,that for the well being of your relationship, that she needs to find other babysitting . My mom told me upfront that she loved her grandchildren more then anything, but unless it was an emergency,she would rather not babysit . I was a little hurt at first, but I got used to the idea and respected her wishes.

6 Likes

A one year old does not understand the concept of yours and mine. They don’t understand sharing, that hitting is bad, right from wrong, etc. He is a baby! I would be reevaluating my thought process, being the adult, offering separate play areas for the toddlers/babies, playing on the floor with them, always supervising, and not expecting more than they are capable of at their ages. If you can’t handle taking care of 2 very young children, then your daughter needs to find someone better able to cope with caring for her baby.

1 Like

I’m sorry but if I was your daughter and just seen how you spoke about my 1 yr. old child, you wouldn’t be seeing him ever again. This sounds like you need to grow up, not the 1 year old.

4 Likes

A one year old doesn’t understand the concept of sharing. For that matter most two year olds don’t either. Kids learn things by being taught. Most children don’t get the concept of sharing until they are at least 3, a lot of times older than that. It sounds like they both live in houses where there is no other small children that they have to share with so of course they wouldn’t know how to share. It also sounds like you want to blame a one year old for everything. The way you are acting about this it sounds you are bitter about your grandson. If that’s the case it would be better if your daughter found another babysitter for the child’s sake.

2 Likes

seperate the two children, put them in separate play pens and place their own toys.in with them. Also tell the parent the situation and see if they can get another babysitter

Sounds like he may have add. Your daughter should talk to the pediatrician about his behavior while he’s still young. Catching it early will make all the difference.

1 Like

Sounds like he needs some professional help he may have some disabilities that you don’t know of

3 Likes

On for heavens sake! A one year old and a two year old! Have you ever heard of a playpen? We would put our little ones in their playpen with some of their toys and they would play safely and happily. I had three kids and when I became a grandma I put THEM in a playpen. My eldest grandson, who is now 31, would pull himself up and dance. He watched tv and played with his toys! No, wasnt in there all day, but I could do my household chores , fold wash, etc, and he was right there with me. Did it with my three and then my grandkids…I sometimes wonder about you young people, you make your lives so difficult and for no good reason.

3 Likes

He is 1 and at that age is just starting to learn what boundaries are. Maybe find out what his favorite toy of your son’s and buy him one. He is not too young to start teaching him about sharing. I would pick up all the toys but 2, 1 for him and 1for your son. If he fights for the other one, switch but he only gets one. If that continues to be a problem, they all go away and your son can play in his room with his toys. Grandson can go in a play pen until he can share. Is Mother’s day out an option for 1-2 days a week to give your son a break from the grandson?

3 Likes

Comparing the two isn’t fair to your grandson. It’s very common for kids close in age to fight, take a scroll in any daycare. Have you tried scheduled one on one time with him? Kids will demand their needs be met sometimes showing in difficult behaviors. Also set up separate play areas with separate toys and rotate like center time. It also has helped with struggling students to sit and play along, it shows them how to play. Try focusing on what he’s doing right. Good luck!

3 Likes

You need to find a good resource to teach you about child development. One year olds do not even understand the concept of stealing. Pack a stroller and head to the public library. There are plenty of free books that can help you understand what is age appropriate behavior, how to set boundaries, and discipline toddlers. Good luck. It can’t be easy.

4 Likes

Oh my lord he is ONE YEAR OLD please whatever God there is do not let this woman watch this child anymore how can you have such hateful feelings twords a 1 year old baby

2 Likes

He’s 1… :roll_eyes: - if you have that many issues with him, don’t keep him… sounds like you don’t want to anyway. :woman_shrugging:

13 Likes

I know this is hard and you are obviously overwhelmed. You will need to set boundaries for them both and follow thorough using techniques are appropriate for 1 and 2 year olds. I say this because my Mom babysat for my sister and me. My sister had twin girls and I had a daughter. They were 4 months apart and my Mom got them when they were under 1 year old. Prayers for you. You may have to separate them. We told play pins to my Mom’s house. I don’t know if people do that anymore

Geezzus he’s one. Maybe teach him. He has absolutely no idea about life right now :woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming:

Give the grandson a craft divide you time between the two of them put your son’s toys away when you’re Grandson is there maybe take them to the library or to McDonald’s for a play day or take them to CafeO Play sounds like he is jealous and wanting attention so he acts out

Maybe you can teach the 2 year old to share more. And the 1 yr old isn’t ’ stealing’ his toys😅 he’s 1 year old! Of course he wants to play with what the other child,( your child), has. If he’s acting ’ horrible’ with you and when the two of them are together, you are the adult that needs to teach them BOTH how to share and be kind! You are putting everything on a 1 year old and not taking responsibility it sounds like🤔

21 Likes

Try being 2 of each toy. I have done that for when grandchildren/siblings come to visit. My kids and grandkids are at least 15 years apart in age

He’s board, needs preschool.

1 Like

I would look at his diet. Remove processed foods and all the food dyes. Some children are more difficult than others. He finds your sons toys more interesting. Maybe get some douplicat toys. My daughter’s were 16 months apart, I had a lot of douplicat toys and clothes too. And I have found big Legos and wooden blocks are great for sharing. My son had so much energy. My mother got him a rocking horse, he spent hours on it. But of course you would need 2. When hitting became a thing I would hold the one doing the hitting on my hip while I was doing whatever I was doing or just walking around, it helps keep their atention. I would tell them I would never let anyone hit you because I love you. I don’t want you hurt. And you can’t go around hitting. Nobody can hit you and you can’t hit anyone else. Any time they show good behavior make sure they know how good they are and how happy it makes you.

2 Likes
  1. He’s one. It’s too soon for him to be displaying “anger issues”. 2. If anything your projecting your anger at your daughter onto him and it’s not good. For the welfare of both children, tell your daughter that you can’t handle it, don’t want to do it and resent her for it. Because that’s what it really sounds like… and 3. How old is your daughter, that both of you are young enough to be able to have kids at the same time?! I think that might be a issue as well.
1 Like

Is this your step daughter? It shouldn’t matter but the way this is worded doesn’t sound like she’s too close to the daughter or grandson. I wouldn’t let her watch my baby. Sounds like a wicked step mother.

3 Likes

After my oldest was born, I wanted to make sure he knew how to ‘share’. As he sat on the floor, playing with toys, I would sit across from him, put my hand on a toy (even if it was the one he was playing with), look at him and say ‘please’. Once he gave the toy to me - then I said ‘thank you’. As long as I said ‘please and thank you’…he was ok with sharing. As for your 1-year old grand son…he is young but he also needs direction and this is something his mother is not giving him…she’s just making up excuses. If the ‘sharing’ thing does NOT work - then just tell your daughter you can’t watch him anymore.

I didn’t realize a one year old was such a thug… Smh

2 Likes

The one year old doesn’t get why he can’t have the toys and the two year old is old enough to learn what sharing is. The one year old needs to be supervised and told not to touch things. He is still learning. When he wants something he should be getting into, tell him no. At one, a minute of time out is acceptable. The two year old might need two minutes of time out when he’s not willing to share.

4 Likes

If your son doesn’t want to share some toys, put them away when the baby is over. Get some “community” toys and teach the 2yo what taking turns is. For the 1yo, redirect and point out when a toy is in another kid’s hand it’s that kid’s turn. This requires monitoring from you. Constantly.

1 Like

Sounds like a typical but strong willed one year old… I myself have two very strong willed kiddos and boundaries are a challenge for any child to get used to and understand especially at such a young age. I think the issue is your expectations rather than your grandson. Set clear expectations and have consistent but SUPPORTIVE responses when he acts out. He is learning the world around him and how to navigate it and I have no doubt in my mind that at this point part of the rebellion has to do with his ability to sense your frustrations with him. Kids are extremely intuitive and I’m sure part of his resistance is how you are coming across to him. Do they have any alternative for child care? Seems like you need to just be grandma and not a care giver as well because that is a very difficult line to straddle and it sounds like you need a break to be able to ENJOY your grandson, as you are undoubtedly (as we all are are as parents and care givers) stretched thin.

Umm he’s 1. What do you expect? Everything is a learning experience. It sounds like you are taking it out on the 1 year old when the 2 year old should know a little more than the 1year old. Monitor and teach sharing and kindness. But clearly you have no idea how to parent and teach since you are saying the kids has anger issues and does things "he knows he shouldn’t be doing"when he is only 1.
I’m sorry but you sound crazy .

You shouldnt even be watching him. With the things you’re saying imo. I have a 2 and 3 yr old… they were 11 months apart so at one point I also had a 1 and 2 yr old… I also have a 3 month old baby… They’re just babies… They are learning how to be people still. They have no idea how to share or hardly anything for that matter!! You just need to give him time and develop some patience with him. I’d be devastated and angry if I ever heard my mother talk about my child like this. Let me watch this child!! My 2 yr old was way worse than that… You’d lose your hair if you were around him since this easy going 1 yr old is getting to you… But I just tell myself hes a baby and its normal… You can’t have the same expectations for babies and toddlers like you would for a 9 yr old or older child.

1 Like

He’s 1. There’s not really any knowing better at that age. And he shouldn’t be called horrible for being excited about the world. He’s learning and sharing and taking turns is not something a one year old gets yet. Tell his mom your feelings so she can find someone who loves this baby to watch him.

7 Likes

Honestly I think he would be better off at a daycare. Proper socialization and education through play and adventure with teachers dedicated to them and constantly interacting and supervising.

Your the grandma he don’t need toys plenty in your house.the older gta share.for all to hv peace.no1 runs your home by you.teach sharing while they little💚.frm a gr8t granfma61 n can do all I want.you cn do this🌹

He’s ONE year old. He’s still a baby. Even two year olds are just learning to share. I’d be devastated to hear my own mam calling her grandkid horrible.

I’d be speaking to your daughter and supporting her to see if any underlying issues were going on, but it’s probably the fact they’re toddlers.

20 Likes

Uhm…he’s only 1. Everything is new and exciting to him! A one year old shouldn’t have “anger issues”. It’s him learning how to express his emotions. It’s all brand new to him! Do positive reinforcement and sit calmly with him through a “tantrum”. Most of the time they just need some attention and cuddle time. Don’t get overwhelmed. He is still so very young. Teach your 2 year old to share and help with the “baby”. Include them in basic tasks like throwing something away or opening a door for you etc.

1 Like

He is one … I wonder if you didn’t have a two year old if you would see him differently. I do not know any grandmother of a 1 year old who would say things like this

1 Like

He has no idea what he’s doing… be the parent. Tell him no. Put him in a high chair if you need to.

I’m sorry but I would never leave my child with you.

He is a baby learn and exploring so is ur 2 year old. And anger issues maybe he picking up that his grandma don’t want him around and think he horrible. Maybe he thinks ur horrible. It’s ur job as a grandma and mom to teach them how to act and teach them to share. Untill they are what 4 years old they learn their basic skills from there caregivers and parents and from exploring the world around them. Maybe you should treat both kids the same instead of just putting ur 2 yr old needs ahead of ur grandsons.

1 Like

Sounds like a normal one year old to me!! And they are acting exactly as they should for their age the problem is your perception of it! You can’t seem to see that your 2 year old is just as bad as your 1 year old grandson! Glad your not my mum cuz If I heard my mum speak about my children like you just have your grandson I wouldn’t even allow her to see them! They are both babies both learning they are going to swabble over toys and scream and shout that’s normal kids! I wonder how you’d feel if someone said that about your 2 year old your poor grandson

3 Likes

Personally I have a one and a 2 year old both boys, I agree they are absolute monsters but it’s normal this age, especially when there’s a lack of “othority” figure as his mums at work so he’s with you, he’s not quite sure who to look up to do acts out, my Boys do it too because they have split time with me and their dad (not a couple)

one year olds dont typically get into things and break things if theyre being properly supervised and two year olds are old enough to learn to share their toys

4 Likes

My son was a active child and ever so curious as a baby. His home daycare didn’t want watch him anymore because he climbed out playpin at naps and played with the computer in the room. He went to daycare with no issues. He just needed stimulation due to being extremely bright and strong willed

My 11 month old throws terrible tantrums when hes no getting his way, I told his health visitor and she said they only act that way out of frustration or boredom. You need to find another way to entertain the 1 year old tbh… and with him smashing stuff tbh you should be watching him as he doesnt know better where your 2 year old will have a better idea what he shouldn’t be touching. My 11 month old is notorious for wires and with him on the go we dont let him out of our site and grab him before he gets to anything, so I dont understand how the 1 year old is smashing stuff if your meant to be watching him? Get a jumperoo or a door bouncer to put the 1 year old in while youre trying to feed or change your 2 year old something to keep him out of trouble while your trying to sort your son out, a travel cot/play pen for the 1 year old to separate the 2 when you need a break with his toys in it. He can feel the vibe coming from you and is reacting to that but hes also a very curious baby

You need to stop calling your grandson horrible names! If you’ve had five children then you should already know the answer! You have to be the example and show YOUR 2yr old what sharing is, your grandson is 1 he is still learning.
I hope you treat your grandson better then how it sounds.
If this was my mum calling my son horrible and unbearable she’d cop a mouthful. You should be ashamed of yourself!!!

Yeah to judge a 1 year old. If i was this person running the anonymous questions id feel guilty not at least forwarding this shit to your daughter…wow what a shit grandma. Talking trash on a literal baby.

2 Likes

Sounds like favoritism for your own child and annoyance towards your grandchild.

1 Like

He is 1. Sounds like he needs to have a proper sitter or enter into daycare.

1 Like

He’s 1 year old, what do you expect?

2 Likes

he’s 1 :woman_facepalming:t2: you can’t really stop a baby. You have to tell them no and that’s about it

He’s one that’s the answer

You don’t need to be watching the child.

2 Likes