My grandson needs glasses but his dad is against it: Advice?

Just learned my 3-year old grandson is significantly far-sighted and will need glasses. My son-in-law is very upset to the point he says he won’t have his son wearing glasses. For him, it goes beyond vanity. He is convinced his son will be bullied. We would have never known he needed glasses by his behavior or actions. He can name a lot of dinosaurs - even obscure ones- and tons of Pokémon. He’s exposed to these through a tv that is high on the wall. He has not been able to learn colors, numbers or letters because his exposure to these is on an iPad. My daughter works for an optometrist. She likely wouldn’t have considered having him tested otherwise. What have others experienced? Will my bright, outgoing grandson be bullied? And will this impact him negatively?

166 Likes

If he can’t read he’ll have larger problems.
The longer he waits, the more strain on his eyes.

2 Likes

My daughter has had glasses for 2 years now. We have had no issues. Her glasses change colors so her friends think they are super cool. Its pretty sad that a father cares more about image than a child learning properly :frowning:

7 Likes

He will not be bullied. A lot of kids wear glasses including my 10 year old daughter who started wearing them at 4 she also wears hearing aids. If his dad waits his son will become behind in school.

1 Like

If he needs glasses then he needs glasses . point blank .
He’s going to have issues if it gets put off just because of the dads opinion .
Stop making it a thing and get the kiddo what he needs … Christ .

1 Like

The child needs glasses. Not getting them for him borders on abuse. If he’s farsighted he can’t see close up which means learning letters and numbers, drawing and coloring, and fine motor skills will be affected. Ask his father if he’d rather have a child labeled with a learning disability because that’s what will happen.

4 Likes

He will fall behind other kids and that may cause bulling in school when it ccan be prevented no brainer their dad

1 Like

He will not be bullied unless his father does it from the sounds of it. 4 of 9 of my kids wear glasses and no one ever says anything.

Get him the glasses, deal with the bullying later if it happens

I feel like he’ll be more bullied if he’s tripping and falling and can’t read/learn in school because he can’t see… get the kid some glasses. If he uses them now he may be able to correct the vision issues and not wear them any more. This is crazy to me that a father would put his insane thoughts above his own child’s health. He probably bullied kids for wearing glasses and this is his comeuppance lol

1 Like

I’d say let him get glasses and go from there.

I think being able to see is pretty important. Dad’s being unreasonable

1 Like

My daughter wears glasses, and she isn’t bullied… your son will cause your grandson more problems with his eyes if he doesn’t get him glasses, not to mention he won’t be the only kid wearing glasses if he needs them then he should have them

My daughter is 13 she has been in glasses since the age of 4 never once has she been bullied. If your grandson don’t wear his glasses that where the problem will be he will fall behind his grade level it will be :100: harder if not impossible for him to do some school tasks because he can’t see for God sake let that poor boy wear his glasses so he can see and Excell in life oh and may I mention that by not getting his glasses his medical needs are being neglected

1 Like

No, I do not think he will be Bullied!! Lots of children wear glasses. He will be fine! Lots of kids think Glasses are COOL!!!

At that age kids think glasses are cool

My daughter’s been wearing glasses since she was 4 and is 13 now. She’s never been bullied.

Nope. I have worn glasses since the age of 2. I have never been bullied. 8 am now 43. My daughter has also worn glasses since the age of 2. She has never been bullied. She is now 12, and has the option for contacts. She said, “Heck no…glasses are in mom!”

He needs glasses! Needs them! If he’s bullied then sort it out but he needs glasses!

2 Likes

I’ve had glasses since I was 4 years old. I was never bullied for them.

1 Like

My son started wearing glasses at 3 years old. He goes to preschool and his friends think his glasses are so cool! Don’t make the child suffer because dad has issues! Teach him to be confident and love himself, and then if there are bullies in his future, it doesn’t phase him!

4 Likes

my son was in prek when he needed glasses…and NO ONE has made fun of him.

1 Like

My son has been wearing glasses his whole life and never been bullied for it. Glasses are very common, actually.

1 Like

Oh for f sake get him the glasses
The dad is an idiot.

11 Likes

Being bullied over being able to see properly is no question what I would do there. If he needs them he needs them better to do it now than when he reaches Highschool and will need a stronger prescription therefore leading to worse bullying

2 Likes

At that age it’s not a choice anyhow, he’s a minor and must receive care he needs.

Secondly, kids think glasses are great now. No bullying.

2 Likes

Sweet fuck. This is insanity

I got glasses in the 4th grade. No one bullied me and I could finally see the chalkboard.

My son has had glasses since he was 4 he has never been bullied for having glasses. I’ve had glasses since i was 10 never been bullied. How is this even a serious question on him getting glasses or not? How can you just tell your child you won’t get them what they need to see?

I’m kinda shocked

You’re asking if your grandson being able to see …basically over rules vanity…

Really???!!

And yes… kids are mean it’s something easy to tease him about…and???
He’s going to be able to see clearly.
If it’s not glasses… it’s something else he’ll be teased about. I wish adults would stop pushing their insecurities on kids

7 Likes

He needs them. He’s only hurting him worse by not getting them. If he gets bullied handle it accordingly but his eyesight should be his main concern.

1 Like

I think he would be bullied more for not understanding things due to not being able to see

2 Likes

Tell his dad to stfu and do what’s right for his kid and get him glasses so he can see. Tell him to stop making it about him and what he thinks. No one makes fun of anyone for wearing glasses, if anything more kids wanna wear them lol

1 Like

He won’t be bullied. Lots of kids wear glasses. Hell, I started wearing them around 10-12 and our family eye doctor told my dad and grandma “why the hell did you guys wait so long to bring her in?! She needed these years ago!!” My mom was against it, but I think she just didn’t want to pay for them because I needed (and still do to this day!) super thick and expensive lenses.

If he starts with the glasses now it should correct itself and he will eventually no longer need glasses.

My son has been wearing glasses since he was 2. Your SIL is pretty ignorant if he is more worried about being bullied than his eye sight.

Is this a serious question?

Hope he never gets bullied but if he needs glasses then he needs them and before his eyes get worse… The childs eyesight is more important than vanity or anything else xx

Get the kid his glasses and get the dad some therapy.

1 Like

The only one who is going to bully him, is his father. For f*** sakes. Get the child glasses, he NEEDS them. It would be negligent not to get him what he needs. Seriously reread what you just wrote you sound like a moron. Why is this even a question?

2 Likes

Get him glasses, later on as he gets older he can get contacts, his father needs to grow up.

1 Like

Send dad to therapy and get the kid glasses.

1 Like

That is the most selfisj idiotic thing i have ever heard! He needs his head examined. That poor baby needs glasses to see! My daughter has worn glasses since she was 6 and has never been bullied about them.

1 Like

Honestly if its a medical purpose for them that should be carfeully thought out. Bullying is real and happens for all reasons even thoigh it shouldnt however, neglecting his medical needs because he prefers he doesnt want him wearing them can become a bigger issue if he startsnfailing because he cant seen or they notice that he needs them and repeatedly have to same something to the parents. You cant just disregard and neglect a childs health because you dont lile something. I understand his fear but he will have to realize as much as we want to protect our children from everything and anything that could be wrong in life we have to pick and choose. Some abttles have to be fault when the time comes.

Without glasses, he’ll adapt by squinting his eyes. He’s more likely to be bullied or questioned for doing this. Having glasses on the other hand, is a non-issue.

Seriously?! He needs glasses! Point blank PERIOD.

2 Likes

So many kids wear glasses these days. He needs them. So he should have them regardless of what dad says. Mum should have already ordered them when she had them tested

1 Like

No my kid has had glasses since she was 3. Kids think they are cool now they all try to try them on…

2 Likes

This makes me so sad :disappointed:

1 Like

His ability to not leaen colors and numbers isnt because of the ipad :woozy_face: my 2.5yo has a tablet and knows all his colors and numbers.
But a kid isnt going to be bullied over glasses.

My daughter started wearing glasses at 2 and everyone LOVED them!!! She has never been bullied and always gets compliments. Plus she picks her own glasses, so it shows her personality :relaxed::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: But, he should get the glasses. I would have never known if she hadn’t been tested by her pediatrician. After she got them, her teachers reported she was much more confident in her school work and activities at daycare…Because she could finally see… Good luck :four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

my now 8 yr old got his first glasses back in kindergarten.there was absolutely no bullying about it.our school has ZERO tolerance for bullying.kids with glasses are a common thing these days.i personally think kids with glasses are super adorable lol his dad seems to be ignorant to the fact.maybe its him who doesnt like ppl in glasses?:woman_shrugging:maybe HE was a bully?:woman_shrugging:your grandson is going to look super cute​:grin:good luck where dad is concerned.:pray:

1 Like

My 4 year old has worn glasses since he was 2. Kids and adults tell him all the time how much they like his glasses. I don’t think kids bully each other over glasses these days

1 Like

His life will be much worse than getting bullied for glasses if he can’t learn.

1 Like

Get glasses for the child.The dad needs help. I think he is worried more about himself and his child not being perfect.

1 Like

He will not be bullied. I have 3 kids who wear glasses never once bullied.His dad needs to stop and be more encouraging to his son about wearing them and telling his son how good he looks in them …

1 Like

Wow that’s awful why wouldn’t he want his son to be able to see?

2 Likes

My 3.5 year old got them before he turned two, I was crushed thinking the same thing and that he had an issue was hard on me, once he realized how good he could see with them was my game changer :revolving_hearts: and he gets compliments on them everywhere he is so dang cute

1 Like

Fight for the glasses. My son was clinically depressed and I got him help. His father thought he should just shake it off.

1 Like

I wasn’t aware how severe my daughters eye sight was until she was 5 and got her new glasses and looked outside with them and said to me omg its so pretty outside the colors of the leaves ect it totally broke my heart

1 Like

I’m confused on why his ability to learn colours and numbers would only be through an iPad.
But no he won’t be bullied. Both my girls (10 and 6) wear glasses and have been for years. They have never been bullied.

Two of my kids wear glasses and they haven’t been bullied over it. When I was a kid, I was picked on for wearing glasses but that was 30-40 years ago

Sorry, you son in law sounds very immature and stupid. I hope your daughter can stand up for the child.

2 Likes

Talk about child neglect… If the mom goes along with the dad she’s just as bad. My child has had glasses since she was 3yrs old and has never been bullied for them. Shame on his dad for not thinking about what’s best for his child.

1 Like

He needs glasses but his mother needs to be the one to put her foot down and tell his father what’s up! He is your grandson but unfortunately that means it’s not up to you. You can talk to his mother, who sounds like she’s your daughter, about your concerns and see what her plans are! That would absolutely be a hill I’d die on for my kids well being but you never know with some people! :woman_shrugging:t2:

I was bullied as a child for having glasses. Truth of the matter is though a bully will bully someone whether they have glasses or not. If it is hindering your grandson from understanding and grasping basic knowledge and concepts at this young age he will fall behind in school quickly. Get that baby glasses.

Kids do not always bully over glasses…and if you raise your child to be confident in themselves and show them it is ok to wear glasses then there is a good chance they will be able to blow off any bullies and realize those kids just have problems of their own and be proud of their own success.

My son wears glasses and has never been bullied. Wearing glasses these days isnt like what it was even a generation ago. People dont care. Kids dont care. Weve lived in multiple states and its never been an issue. Let him pick out a pair and move on. His sight is more important than the fathers perception of a ‘perfect son’.

I’ve had glasses since I was 6 i was never bullied in school for wearing them and this was back in the 90s

This is ridiculous. Your grandson needs to be able to see. For heavens sake.

Its going to impact him negatively if he doesn’t get the eye care he needs! If he needs them then he should get them

7 Likes

Not giving him the medical attention he needs. Weather it dentists. Dr. Glasses. Learning at school… That could be considered as abuse. I had to wear glasses and a eye patch. I now have to wear glasses my whole life and possibly going blind because I didn’t do what was. That was 30 yrs ago. Now it’s cool to have glasses.

Get that baby some glasses. Kids will be kids the only thing you can do is teach him to not let it bother him. If he needs them then get them.

1 Like

He’s currently being bullied by a father who doesn’t want to have his vison corrected, and that sounds like a case of “abuse/neglect”. If a parent denied a child medical treatment for a disease or other ailment child services (rightfully) would be called against them. In my opinion this warrants a call to child services. If the child has trouble seeing, it will affect his ability to learn.

6 Likes

Not being able to see will undoubtedly give him problems that leave him lagging in school and headaches. And THAT doesn’t bother your SIL? Wow!

I feel like the age of being bullied for glasses has long since passed.

1 Like

My grandson started wearing glasses at 3 and not one problem from kids but parents claim their kids say the want cool glasses like my grandson.

My son starting wearing glasses at 7 years old. He was not bullied. He said a couple kids called him four eyes but only while in elementary school. As a teenager he started using contacts for sports purposes and now at 18 years old all he wears are contacts. We had school glasses and home glasses and he used them as needed.

If he doesn’t get glasses he’ll be worse off. His eyesight will get worst overtime. It’s considered abuse by neglect if your daughter and his father don’t get him the glasses that he needs to have since it’s a medical

I dont think so… so many children these days wear glasses and there is actuallt a huge selection find children to find something that fits thier style. Nothing to be worry about

The dad didn’t s bring very selfish and he is harming his child wilfully. He is bring ridiculous and medically neglectful by refusing.

1 Like

Both my older boys 7 and 8 have glasses. My oldest is also high functioning autistic. They haven’t been bullied for their glasses, but with that being said there will always be bullies you just have to teach them how to handle them.

It was cool to have glasses when I was in grade school…

1 Like

All 3 of my kiddos have glasses… all since before kinder… they have never been teased about the glasses… actually, there are more children with glasses these days than when I was little.

1 Like

he is 3 the boy needs glasses - his dad needs to be educated about eye sight

1 Like

My son has had glasses since age 9. He’s frames are Nike. I purposely had him get those frames for this exact reason. And he’s had zero problems.

1 Like

Shame on the child’s father… Just because he thinks children will bully him, the child will be much happier as well as confidence wearing glasses. Today, kids glasses are adorable and they come in all kinds of different colors. Tell him to watch Outnumbered Daughters and you will see Hazel, one of six sextuplets who has been wearing glasses since she was 2 years old. She adapted really well to her glasses and she has several pairs and colors. With six siblings, not one of her sisters would ever tease her about her glasses.

2 Likes

Six-year-old grandson had to get glasses at the beginning of the year and the doctor said if he wears them a lot the problem may go away in two years.

My little guy has had glasses since he was 3 he just turned 5 and OMG he looks so cute with them on… And actually there were quite a few little ones in his class that had them also

1 Like

It’s considered cool to have glasses these days with kids. You can get super hero frames an all now. The dad is being very selfish. I doubt he will have any problems

1 Like

This child won’t be bullied for wearing glasses but if he doesn’t get them if in dire need of them then he will be made fun of when he does start school and is not up to par with things that the glasses are going to help with - ex: colors, seeing letters & numbers correctly. It is very selfish and self-centered of this child’s dad to make his son pay for his own ignorance - not trying to be mean there just truthful - I’m a grandma as well and if one of my children were to have that attitude about one of their kids I think I would have to give them an attitude adjustment. Good luck and I do pray they allow him to get the glasses he needs and he gets adjusted to them as well. God Bless all.

1 Like

I think if you raise your kids to be bullies to the kids that have glasses then i think the parent needs a good a$$ kicking its a shame a young child cant have glasses they need because the parent is scared his child will be bullied what is this world coming to

The lack of glasses can lead to headaches as well as self esteem issues. If the child isn’t supplied with the tools he needs for success, he will fall behind his classmates. This may cause him to think of himself as not being a smart person, all because of lacking a pair of glasses. My son wears glasses and has had one issue with someone who attempted to make him feel badly by calling him a nerd. My son told the boy that nerds were the ones that signed the paychecks and shut him down quickly. My youngest on the otherhand, does not wear glasses but was bullied in school until I pulled them from that school system. I would rather my child have the things he needs to be healthy than to worry about things that may not happen.

1 Like

Both of my kids wear glasses neither one have been bullied

And where is the mother who needs to step up and tell dad to f*** off. That’s child neglect. My oldest started wearing glasses at 4 …all the time for a year then only for reading for 5 years and now she doesn’t need them. Yes kids still get bullied for glasses but if it’s not glasses kids will find something else to bully him about so his excuse is bs

my daughter started at 6 months she’s 4 now. Never had an issue. She’s actually just had compliments of how cute her glasses are.

My youngest has been in glasses since she was 3 and never been bullied over them. She had major anger issues that resolved once she could actually see. It’s far more common for kids to be wearing glasses now versus when parents were in school. At most kids may ask questions. Tell dad to get over it and do what is best for the child.

2 Likes

Why is this even an issue!? Get that baby some glasses to see!! The selfishness of this parent is insane.

They used to pick on kids calling them 4 eyes when we were kids but I don’t know to many saying it anymore

I work in Optometry too and sadly see this all the time. All kids are born farsighted, it’s just a matter of how much the have and how fast they change. I have seen kids who cant even see 20/400 and they’ve never shown any signs of not being able to see. They don’t know they can’t see because that is what they are accustomed to. If a child has a lot of farsightedness or a big imbalance between the two eyes (Amblyopia AKA lazy eye) it must be detected and corrected by age 8 in order for permanent vision loss to be less of an outcome!

Forget wondering if he’ll be bullied by his peers because he’s already being bullied by an insecure neglectful father. I can’t imagine being more worried about my child’s vanity than their wellbeing. This child needs the glasses or it’s going to affect him negatively later on.

16 Likes