My grandson needs glasses but his dad is against it: Advice?

That’s awful! The child needs glasses to see & learn to his full potential!! That’s the dumbest excuse. Unfortunately people get bullied for everything now, so chances are he will be bullied at some point even if he didn’t get the glasses.

Thats abuse…blind or bullied?

My daughter got her first pair before 3…shes Now 3 and has went to daycare. The kids dont even seem to notice them.-I work there so I’d notice.

5 of my kids wear glasses. My other daughter tried to fake eye problems to get glasses. He won’t be teased for it. They make really cute ones now

I hope you show the mom the comment section here. That’s like saying a broken leg doesn’t need a cast. His eyes are “broken” in a sense. They need help to be “fixed”. If he doesn’t get them now, it’s possible it could get really bad where his glasses are very thick. They don’t just say every kid needs glasses for no reason. There’s obviously a need for them. A MEDICAL need.

It’s extremely sad that he is more worried about his son being bullied then he is about the damage it will do to his eyes and the headaches it will give him because his own eyes cannot focus properly.

1 Like

Get the kid glasses I have worn glasses since younger and have never once been bullied for it. This is crazy talk.

Two of mine have had glasses since they started school and they have never been bullied one of them also has CP (very mild and only affects her left side)

My son had them from 2 years old with 2 surgeries. He was never bullied. He will be bullied for not being able to keep up with the rest of the class. Slap some sense into that dad. What an idiot he is.

Well the alternative is not seeing. So idk the issue. I’ve worn glasses since 3rd grade. When I didn’t wear them, i wss severely behind. I almost failed until my teacher told my mom to get me tested. I went pre-k until 3rd grade without corrected vision and it has affected me for most of my life. I missed some important things. I am a great test taker and passed based on that. I didn’t learn to participate in classes because I couldn’t and by time I could, the world was a little much that I kept to myself. Being bullied doesn’t compare to not being able to see the board or read on time.

My daughter had glasses since the age of 2. It was the best thing for her she didn’t get bullied.The lack of glasses can causes him to fall behind academically and socially…That would cause bulling eventually…

Instead of being bullied for glass he will be bullied about his intellect. On another note I have a 13yr old and he has never once been bullied about his glasses.

My son had glasses when he was 10 months old and was never bullied. Glasses are a cool fashion statement these days. Tell your son in law to smarten up and get his son what he needs for the his eye health

My son and grandsons all have worn glasses since they were very young and were fine. They have glasses that are in stylke

get him glasses he will benefit he will adjust

Sounds like his father is going to impact him negatively

2 Likes

How sad. That’s borderline abuse. How would he feel if his son was blind. Smh. I hope you can get some glasses for your grandbaby :sparkling_heart:

Ask the dad would he rather him be bullied for being behind his peers because he can’t see?? That’s far worse. And from what I’ve seen in this time, kids aren’t actually bullied for glasses a lot anymore and it almost seems cool because there are so many different colors and styles now. Tell dad not to worry and get that baby some glasses so he can reach his absolute full potential! By not allowing him too, he’s actually being the bully.

Is this serious? Dad sounds like the bully. That poor baby needs to see. Get him glasses.

1 Like

Thats neglect. he is neglecting his needs…

2 Likes

I work for an optometrist also. Get the kid glasses if he needs them.

What a asshole of a father

Theres nothing wrong with glasses… he wont get bullied for it. I never was… yet was bullied for everything else :woman_shrugging: my kid in her glasses

Get him glasses or he won’t be able to learn because he can’t see.

1 Like

My daughter was 3 and didn’t get bullied that much she was happy to be able to see

I can’t believe this is even an issue. This is moronic. He likely won’t be bullied for that. There are plenty of other things to get bullied for. I can’t believe this is even being taken seriously. Your son is an ass. He would rather have his son suffer because someone might be mean. People are pathetic.

This makes me sad. Vision can get worse, headaches, inability to learn. He’s more worried about him being bullied!?!? My daughter is waiting for hers to come in. She’s 3.5 and pre-k. I don’t think kids that age are bullying. When I walk her up to school they are all
So excited to see each other.

My three have worn glasses their whole school life and believe me glasses are so common that they have never been bullied for wearing them. Besides what’s he can either be made fun of for a bit or blind for life

I got glasses in fifth grade! Told my Mother, Ellen, mom I can see every twig on every tree!!! Do what’s right for child!!

I had glasses from about 3-4 years old onward to now, and I did experience a little bullying as a child, but I’d take the bullying over losing my vision any day of the week

I never got bullied for wearing glasses. And I would have been a perfect target lmao. Baby blue frames that didn’t go with my face shape at all. It was bad. Plus I had braces. Seriously though I think I bullied myself more than anyone else could have. Eyesight is very important to correct. Everyone knows that and if he needs glasses he should get glasses.

Not bullied for them one bit. Just compliments from adults on how cute he is and the kids love that his glasses are “gamer glasses.”

My son is eight and has glasses, me and his father also wear glasses. My boy loves his glasses

So he would rather his son not have full sight? Ya that makes sense

1 Like

So he would rather him not see. Dad has some issues

Your son sounds ignorant. Humans need to be able to see​:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

1 Like

I’ve had glasses since I was 4 years old. I have one memory from pre-school of a girl calling me four-eyes once and that is it… and the only reason I remember her calling me that is because I was confused since she had glasses herself! Kids are kids and will bully about just about everything but that is not a reason for a parent to prevent their child from being able to successfully learn. He will fall behind in school and then be looked at as “stupid” or “dumb” and be bullied a whole lot worse for that than he would for a pair of glasses.

My four year old has glasses and has yet to be made fun of. If anything kids think they are cool.

I get his concern in the sense he already has a set of interests of his own and knowing names of obscure dinosaurs isn’t typically how you make friends with the cool kids. My son is the same way in this regard, too.

Not getting glasses isn’t going to make his eye problems go away and to expect a three year old to live with not being able to see properly over the fear of him being bullied (which is unlikely kids that age are typically very loving and accepting unless they are taught not to be.) is ridiculous. Especially since If it doesn’t get corrected now it may get worse to where he will have no choice to get them as he’s older when kids are actually mean. I’d do it now.

1 Like

My stepson needed glasses early on his mom / grandma didn’t get him help and now we go to the eye doctor every 3 months he has bifocals at the age 7 and we patch. No one makes fun of him

1 Like

Dear god your son in law sounds like an ass. Kids at 3 years old can sometimes not need glasses later in life if it is corrected now. Your daughter is a parent and she can make a decision on medical care because this is what it is. Trust me when he can see he will be even smarter

My 2 year old has glasses and everyone comments they are so adorable. We are so used to seeing him with them we don’t even notice. No other kid has said a word. Eyes change up tintil they are 8 so earlier the better to correct problems.

2 Likes

My daughter has had glasses since she was 2 and has never been bullied because of them! They can make the lens thin now even if the prescription is strong. He needs them end of story! I should mention she is 20 now, third year university student studying Biology with amazing grades that she wouldn’t have without her glasses;)

1 Like

Father is the real bully! Sound like narcissistic. If the child needs glasses then he needs it. How is he going to succeed in school if he cannot see well!!

3 Likes

My daughter got glasses at 4 and she never got bullied…
Sounds like his priorities are backwards…

This dad is an asshole!! Going without glasses gives you headaches, worsens your vision,:triumph: and makes every day life a struggle in general.

Against him seeing???

Your eyes- use them or lose them. My daughter has a complete lack of vision in her right eye and had we realized it sooner patching it would have saved/improves the vision. Without glasses his eyes will not only not get better but will get worse.

I think younger kids are less likely to be bullied because most kids will not really notice it and they’ll really only ever remember him having glasses as they get older(kids he goes to school with that is)

If he needs glasses and doesn’t wear them his eyes will go bad

My 9 year old has worn glasses since he was 6. Never been bullied. Im 38 and have had glasses since 5th grade and was never bullied either

Our daughter started wearing glasses at 5 and has never been bullied.

I got glasses when I was about 8, and was never bullied for them.

Um… It’s kinda a slap to the face to worry about your kid getting bullied instead of their actual ability to see…

Like, are you serious???
:woman_facepalming:t3:

2 Likes

Big problem is you son in law.

1 Like

Your grandson will have to deal with bullies for one reason or another. If not glasses then his weight, height, his name etc. If he needs glasses then put them on him. Teach him to be proud to wear the darn things and do not let Dad bully him. My daughter had a friend that had to wear glasses to keep her eyes from crossing. She did not get bullied for the glasses but for other things.

1 Like

If he needs glasses he fuckin needs glasses. Depriving him of something he needs is neglect, his father sounds like a dick too.

Any father who would want his child to be unable to see is a jerk. My nephew has worn glasses since he was 6 and he never was bullied for it.

Your SIL is a piece of shit, that’s beyond fucking ridiculous

In Kindergarten, (in my state at least) kids are required to take an eye exam as well as hearing. They will require the test and failure of the test will mean he will have to get glasses. If it is an interference there could be issues. My mom didn’t get me glasses I needed as a kid and school called CPS siting Medical Neglect

So best we let him be and not be able to see because of some wanker. Well that’s intelligent .

He literally cannot see the haters

So we found out last year she needed glasses halfway through the school year. She has an astigmatism and is pretty farsighted. Her glasses are thicker but never once has anyone ever said anything to her. In a semester her handwriting, problem solving skills and being able to follow directions all improved as well as skipping two grade levels in reading.

He needs to fucking see… as someone with glasses. It’s irrelevant wether u think he will be bullied he needs to see. Poor kid. Let him have sight.

your son-in-law is guilty of child abuse for not getting him the glasses he needs

If he doesnt get him glasses it’s neglect

1 Like

My 8 year old just got glasses. He hasnt been bullied.
Kids today are not like kids when we were all kids. That whole 4 eyes thing is a dying insult.

Bullying is something noone absolutely noone can escape or avoid unfortunately unless you’re the bully lol don’t worry about the kid getting bullied just worry about the kid being able to learn properly otherwise it will give the kids just another thing to pick on him about…not being able to see and being behind in school :woman_shrugging:

As a former optician, I know that eyeballs grow. If he were nearsighted I would freak out! But being farsighted at 3 years old, I am not so concerned. Colors, numbers etc. he is 3 years old.

How tf are you going to risk your kids eyesight getting worse (it can without proper
Vision correction) because you are worried he “might get bullied”. If bullies want to pick on a kid they will find any reason to do it, glasses or not. Tell your daughter to get her mama bear claws out and insist her kiddo gets the glasses he needs.

My daughter had a hard time seeing while reading in elementary school. It did affect her ability to read and comprehend in school, affecting her grades. She got glasses and has now excelled and never was bullied. She actually has always thought they were cool.

He won’t be bullied. Many of my students wear glasses and have for years. If he is comfortable wearing them and they are just a part of who he is, he will be fine. Plus, he will know the things he needs to know to start school with some basic knowledge. That will prevent more bullying than any glasses or lack thereof.

Glasses corrected my husband’s eyes when he was young, but on the bullying it can happen. Just give him some good come backs like, take them off and not see the ugly in the world, the give me sight to see beauty and goodness. Have Your son-in-law read the kids book Auther need glasses, and get him some clear links glasses and smear patrolem jelly on them, ask him to wear them for a day so he knows what his kid is going through and tell him to expect headaches from not being able to see.

Well if the kid needs glasses, HE NEEDS GLASSES.

1 Like

I worked in child care for 4 years and I never heard a kid make fun of another for glasses. Plenty of other stuff but not glasses

I’ve had glasses my whole life. Only “bullying” I experienced from it was from my siblings. Get the boy some glasses

2 Likes

Lots of kids wear glasses, don’t be ridiculous get the child the help he needs!

1 Like

Does it matter he does t where glasses eyes get worse period the end… Hey the kid some dam glasses for fuck sakes

Denying the child glasses to SEE is neglectful at the very least. Absolutely ridiculous.

3 Likes

i didn’t know till i was like 13 that i needed glasses my eyesight was not good and has only gotta worse (and will continue to quickly deteriorate) its as bad as it is because my eyes spent all those years straining giving me migraines and my eyes hurting it sucked but i didnt know it wasn’t like that for everyone. he could slow down them getting worse or even since he’s young correct his vision so he wont have to wear them in a few years. its horrible for him to deny glasses to his son. i nor anyone else i know who wears glasses has been made fun of those jokes are stupid now and never used. he needs to see properly to excel in learning as well.

1 Like

We have a grandson who started wearing glasses at 1 year old. He is now 7 and has never been bullied because of his glasses. Most people comment on how cute he is with his glasses.

My 10 yr old has been wearing glasses for a few years now and she has never been bullied . She wears bifocals too so they have a very obvious line . Nobody in any of her classes has said a word about it

Sounds like your son in law shouldn’t have had a kid at all. Its clear he’s not ready to make the mature decisions a parent needs to make. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

I have 4 children 3 of them need glasses and have since they were 4/5years old (now 16, 11 & 6) the only one who gets upset about glasses is my daughter that doesn’t need them :see_no_evil: specs are a cool accessory now even eye patches are cool these days

Oh seriously, even if he is. He still needs glasses. It can affect him tremendously by not wearing them. People need to grow up, its only glasses for fk sake

1 Like

Would you rather him be bullied as a four eyes or a dumb ass?

Glasses are cool nowadays, I need to wear glasses 24/7 but always hated them when I was younger so refused to wear them outside but now I wear them everywhere as its so much different now kids want glasses these days same with braces I refused them but now kids want them and good on them the kid needs glasses and it’s neglect to not let him have them his eyesight will only get worse if he doesn’t

His dad is already the biggest bully that poor boy will ever have

1 Like

From your son-in-law’s perspective, he’s protecting his son. That’s what he’s focusing on to justify his refusal to get your grandson glasses. Sit down with him, tell him you understand he wants to protect his son and what’s best for him like any parent would, and then make him see just how his “protection” is ruining your grandson’s quality of life. By making him focus on the damage he’s causing his son, he should warm up to the idea of glasses. Make him realize his son isn’t meeting the academic milestones other kids are such as learning letters, numbers, and colors, which will open doors for other forms of bullying like other kids calling him a “retard”. From here on in, you’re on your own because I honestly cannot say if the best thing to do is to not let the pressure up until your son-in-law agrees or if you should give this time to sink in for your son to realize how much his son needs glasses. You’ll have to decide which one is the better course of action for yourself. But one thing I can say with absolute certainty here is do not let up until he agrees to get his son glasses.

Point out that bullying is a future issue that may or may not even happen, but an issue that needs to be addressed immediately is your grandson’s eyesight, which he refuses to address. Furthermore, kids will find plenty of other reasons to bully other kids, so it may not even be his glasses that gets him bullied if that happens.

To answer your question, your grandson may get bullied. It may or may not be because of the glasses. From what you described, the glasses will impact him more in a positive manner.

I had glasses most of my life and was never once bullied for them. It’s child neglect not to buy him glasses, so if you can’t convince your son or daughter, then you will have to step in.

1 Like

His father is pathetic if the child needs support it is now

Glasses are cool now. He’s more likely to get bullied for not being able to read

If the child needs them he needs them simple as of he goes without now COULD be a lot worse later on in lfe

1 Like

I’ve worn glasses since I was 18 months old I’m 28 now and I’ve never been bullied. Kids know these glasses helps people see.

It will impact him not being able to see. Lots of kids wear glasses. A bully is a bully whether the child wears glasses or not. Not supplying what he needs to succeed is a disservice to him.

7 Likes

If a child is resilient and “bully-proofed” by his relatives, there will be little need to worry about anything people say. My kids know not to take things kids say to heart, they are very friendly, but also they know how to give a good retort. Kids are mean; just about everyone will have something said to them, no matter how they look. But if the kid can learn to defend themselves against it, they’ll be fine.

1 Like

He has to get them or things will get worse with his sight it’s cruel not to get him glasses and give him the same quality of life that he has hope all works out

1 Like

How can a parent be against a medical necessity?
He literally can’t see in certain ranges?
This just seems so incredibly neglectful :pensive:

1 Like

He needs to grow up if that baby needs glasses he needs them. My 5year old grandson has glasses and he looks adorable in them and he doesn’t get bullied. Your son in law needs to realize his son won’t be the only child with glasses. He needs to stop being so dam selfish and do what needs to be done for that baby.

4 Likes

First of all, the father is already giving power and control to potential bullies over a basic need your grandson will need for his own well being and success. Let him get his glasses, and teach him the importance of basic human kindness, self-esteem and confidence in himself, along with the knowledge of having the constant love and support of his family. Bullies will always be there, no matter the age or how trivial the issue, and your children WILL learn to stand up to them, and be stronger and better for it.

1 Like

Not being mean, but if your grandson is not receiving the care he needs to have the best chance at a healthy life, he is being neglected and the school can actually call child services about it. If a child is a bully, he will find something to be a bully about. If not glasses, it will be something else. Your grandson’s physical needs absolutely cannot be neglected due to the possibility of bullies. By the way, both of my boys wear glasses and have never been picked on because of them.

2 Likes