My grandson needs glasses but his dad is against it: Advice?

That is definitely a form of neglect. His mother should have him examined asap. He needs his eyesight to help him in the future for school and learning.

My son had glasses before he was 3. I never knew that he was bullied. He hid them, buried one pair in the garden, and did not like them. He grew up to very confident, involved in all sports and successful. His Dad was crushed that he needed them. Life is never simple, lots of hard choices, but I was thankful we were able to provide them. Make the best of it and some friends will need them as they grow up!

I started wearing glasses at a young age and maybe had a few instances of being called “4 eyes”; but nothing too bad. I can say that I suffered from bad headaches before the glasses so I hope this doesn’t happen to your grandson if they ignore his eyesight issues.

So he would rather his son be medically impaired guess what I’m sorry to say but Um where I’m from that’s considered medical abuse of a child he needs his father needs to go get it for his son regardless of what he thinks. My son wears glasses. I wear glasses and guess what my son doesn’t get bullied at all in school infact since he got his glasses he has started exceling in school. When I got mine back in school I was in hs when i needed them my French teacher noticed I needed glasses it helped immensely. It’s not a matter of weather he thinks his gorgeous little boy might be bullied for looking smart or for vanity or needing to save face f*** that s***. That little boy needs them then go get them it’s for him not to suffer the pain of headaches, learning delay etc.

I would tend to think he would be bullied more when he falls behind in class. His father is bullying him more by not giving him the opportunity to see clearly and get a proper education.

Tell him he will be bullied more for falling behind in his ability to learn. He is being a dad that is not putting his child’s best interest at heart.besides he he is bullied at least he will be able to see which kid to point out!

I have written glasses forever basically. I’ve never been billed for my glasses… other things but never my glasses. He needs to see well to succeed and leard!

Your son in law is ignorant, if his son needs medical attention, he needs to worry about his son been able to see properly , so he can learn, and stop worrying about him being bullied, that’s so selfish of him.

My son needed glasses at a young age. His inability to pay attention in class kept getting pushed off to ADHD instead of his sight. Finally I had had enough and took him to get a proper eye exam and was told that if I didn’t bring him in when I did he would have lost sight in his left eye. He is now 17 and not once did he get bullied for his glasses. If kids want to bully or pick on someone they will find a reason to do it. Glasses are for a better life for him.

It doesn’t matter if he has glasses or not regarding being bullied that can happen with or without glasses if he needs them get them teach him self worth and self defense

I work for an optometrist myself and I see more kids that want to wear glasses now because they’re a cool accessory and fashionable. More kids leave crying if they dont need a prescription.
I think being bullied for glasses is something of the past.

Get him the glasses he needs to be able to focus on things and see as his dad sees. MAYBE DADDY NEEDS to get over his vain self and look at the needs of his son. Many children wesr glasses and those who dont sometime pick at them but thats only because theyre jealous or have not been taught correctly. He will be way behind educationally if you do not get him proper care.

This is ridiculous. Just like everything else bullying polarized. If he needs glasses he needs glasses it will be neglectful not to get them. 9 out of 10 times he will not be bullied. And if he is be an parent.

Dad needs to realize that the boy needs to be able to see. There are plenty of kids nowadays wearing glasses that it is not something new. And as someone stated, he would get bullied worse by people thinking he is not smart

Of course at leaste one will bully him our jobs as parents is not to protect our kids from the real world but teach them to cope and navigate the real world. The idea is to explain the possible comment and their root reasons provide support and show the kid how to SEE and COPE with adversity. The idea that with so many differrent though processes the possibility to eliminate all diversity is just assanine tech the kids to cope better and excel beyond that’s the job of a parent

This happened to my son as a two year old. We saw a pediatric ophthalmologist the pediatrician recommended who wanted to put him into glasses immediately. We opted to get a second opinion and took him to my ophthalmologist who didn’t feel comfortable making the call and referred us to one of his professors who specialized in pediatrics. He said NO to glasses and said that my son would grow out of it but required us to get yearly checks. I’m so glad we made the decision to get another opinion. My son did, in fact, grow out of it and never required glasses for his farsightedness. By the time he entered into preschool his vision was 20-20. We were not concerned about any “stigma” associated with wearing glasses we were more unsure of how we were going to wrangle a two year old to keep them on. Get a second opinion from a pediatric ophthalmologist and take it from there! Good luck!

My daughter on the other hand needed glasses when she was 5 and she never was bullied or teased. Like braces, glasses are now “in”! :slightly_smiling_face:

He might get teased somewhat for wearing glasses, but it should go away over time. Still get him glasses though, because I personally would rather be bullied and be able to see than to not get bullied and not be able to see.

Grow up and do what’s in the best interests of your child…he needs glasses then get them don’t be foolish with this…you will hurt him more by not getting what he needs to do his school and learning than kids making fond of him…he won’t have self esteem and self pride if the dad doesn’t stand up for his child

Dear lord the boy needs help with his VISION! Get him glasses. It can effect him physically- get headaches from eye strain- become less involved with activities because sight effects abilities
Plus what message are you sending this child- you’re not 100% so we’re going to make you function as if you are - but without helping you? That’s called struggle

I just read this … this is neglect in the major way. I think I would get the glasses and as far as the father is concerned maybe they will make sure he gets them for him…medical neglect is serious

I cant believe this is even a question. If it was should I get him food, water or medicine would you need to ask the internet? His glasses are prescribed by a Dr.
And your gonna ask if you should? If a Dentist or a surgeon prescribed meds would he get them?
Its not like what color shoes should I buy or a toy that dad doesnt like. Time for some parents to grow up.

He won’t be bullied because he won’t be the only one. Dad is neglecting his need for help with his sight. Would he not allow his son to wear hearing aids if he needed them? I think not. This is also a safety issue as hell have problems playing sports or even just in gym or recess.
I am a retired school nurse and we had some parents who refused glasses when clearly they were needed. Injuries in gym and recess forced one of them to agree with glasses and this child was so much better for it. Open YOUR eyes, dad!!!

Both of my kids started wearing glasses at 2 years old. And they did great! Hopefully, the Mom will talk some sense into the Dad. He needs to learn what a Dad is supposed to be. You take care of your child’s needs regardless of you vain issues. This will delay the child’s development if he does not get the glasses.

Not getting them could be considered medical neglect in some states.

He will be bullied if he fails in school and has to be held back! There are all sorts of cool frames for kids these days and a lot of children wear them. Your SIL will essentially be committing child abuse if he withholds treatment the child obviously needs.

Well the flip side of that is he could be bullied for not knowing or see the things the other kids in the class know or see. Why is dad setting him up for failure already? Depends on how Dad reacts to him wearing glasses… He needs them that’s what’s IMPORTANT!

Evidently the Father does not really care about the child…He should want to do everything possible for this little boy…My son had glasses at a very early age and he was NOT teased

1 Like

No, I don’t think he will be bullied because glasses are common. BUT then again kids these days are not so nice. But he needs to see to cope with the world and to be able to learn. Without glasses his family would be “cheating” him of help he needed.

I am 62. I have worn glasses since the age of 3. Yes I was bullied. But I couldn’t see just to fit in. I had corrective surgery and still needed them. You just need to teach them it’s ok to be different. Don’t deny him the right to see.

As a optician and have been 34 years in the field. 98% of kids think glasses are cool… and there are great choices out there… get him something he likes, not what dad likes… if he is bullied it won’t be because of the glasses … it will be by a kid or adult that’s just a jerk

I think his dad needs to look at the bigger picture. There are ways to stop bullying, even if it means changing schools or teaching him at home.
It much harder to make a kid want to learn once they feel stupid. He may be a bright and intelligent boy, but he won’t feel that way when he’s struggling to understand because he can’t see. When a child falls behind in their education, it’s a fight to catch up. He will suffer more by struggling in class than he will at the hands of a bully. When someone is bullied they blame the bully… when they struggle to learn they find fault in themselves.

He wont get bullied i have seen more kids with glasses. I can tell you this from experience my mom was against glasses and from my experience i wished she listened my eyes got worse and now i have to get very strong glasses and now with kids they got really cool styles of glasses.

I hate to shame anyone but is this really a question?! If a child needs glasses, you get them glasses. There should be no questions asked. Its downright neglect if anyone denies this child a fair opportunity to learn because his dad is absurd.

My daughter had to wear them early and now she doesn’t you better step up and wear them now or wreck his eye’s for the rest of his life

1 Like

I have taught pre school for over 35 years . pre school aged children wearing glasses is getting to be pretty common. At this age they barely even notice. My own son got glasses in kindergarten. I didn’t know his eyes were as bad as they were, but I got them tested before he went to school. He got his glasses and was constantly pointing out common every day thing because he was finally seeing them clearly.

Kids get bullied for so many stupid reasons. Your grandson will have a hard time in school if he can’t see properly. Dad needs to understand that. I wonder if Dad was bullied as a kid, and he’s afraid his son will gi through the same thing he did.

I have worn glasses. No bullying attached. But his schooling will be affected if he can’t see well.

The son in law sounds like the bully to me.he is also Neglecting the needs of his child because of what another 3 year old will say??? Come on… its DAD who will be embarrassed and he needs to be called out.

If he needs glasses then he needs them! Because of the father’s fear and insecurity the child should suffer? Not being able to see clearly will impact his ability to do his work correctly. The father’s afraid he will get bullied for glasses but not for being perceived as “ stupid” because he can’t see clearly? Get a grip dad-it’s about what’s best for your child!

I would say your son-in-law In his own way is doing the bulling by keeping his son from seeing kids everywhere are wearing glasses it will only make his eyes worse by not getting the glasses he just needs to grow up

No one is gonna bully him about his glasses… They will however make fun of him for getting answers wrong because he can’t see. Then that opens up a whole can of worms…

I didn’t get my glasses until 5th grade. I needed them much earlier. By the time, I got them, I was legally blind without them. My doctor told my mother I was probably legally blind from birth but just learned to compensate for it. I am now nearly 61 and have worn either glasses or contacts for 50 years.

His eyes will only worsen if he doesn’t get glasses. Two of my girls have glasses and not once have they been bullied for it. For him to deny his son glasses is a form of abuse. Unfortunately bullying goes on no matter what at some point but denying him glasses because of it is wrong. I think his dad has some growing up to do

He should be telling his son that it’s okay to be wearing glasses and everyone is unique in there own way! The poor kid needs glasses. Clearly the father is more worried about other people’s opinions than his sons wellbeing!

I’m an elementary music teacher with about 500 students. Bullying over glasses is something I’ve not encountered. Kids are so much more accepting than they were in past generations.

He wouldn’t be bullied. I thought when my daughter had to have a patch on her eye to correct her weaker eye she was going to be bullied but they didn’t. Glasses are not bad and if he needs them then he needs them

I dont think he will be bullied myself our grandson wears glasses and hasn’t had that pretty. It should be helpful in so many ways.

The more negative impact will be poor vision. That is a HUGE hindrance. Teach him self confidence and get him the glasses he needs.

Bullying will happen at some point tho probably not at 3 because of glasses not doing something medically necessary because it might lead to being bullied is bad parenting.

My kids have been in glasses since there where 7 and 8, and they have never been bullied for it. Even if bullying does take place he needs to learn to communicate with his child, and help him through it.

My son wore glasses and had to patch and never was bullied… cruel to not get him glasses because of Dad’s fear.

My son need glasses, but it wasn’t particularly evident until he was in middle school. What tipped me off was him looking in a field and asking me if those were sheep. They were 1 ton hay bales wrapped in white plastic. He was worried about bullying. The day we came home with the glasses, I enrolled him in martial arts.

I would be more concern with the danger of not having them…could be his life, he never seen the danger .

Remind the father of the DAMAGE is going to be doing to his child because he is afraid his kid will be bullied. I’m severely near sighted to the point I cannot see more than 2 feet in front of my face clearly without glasses. It is EXTREAMLY dangerous to his wellbeing. I cannot stress enough that this will create far bigger issues then a possible bully.

He should wear the glasses. It can make his vision alot worse if he doesnt. I personally was prescribed glasses at age 7 and I didn’t actually wear glasses until i was in my teens. Always squinted and hurt my eyes. Ppl didn’t notice it but it was messing with my education alot.

His dad is being bull headed. He needs the glasses to learn correctly. Id have him get them and explain to the dad that kids are Jenks and he can’t protect his son from everything.

I’m a prek 4 teacher and have a student with glasses. The other kids never bully him. In fact when its nap time he puts them in his cubby and if he forgets to put them on afterwards, the other kids remind him! We are a school family.

I am 67 years old and had glasses since the third grade. I’ve never been bullied because of glasses.

My ex was against our son having glasses and I just told him tough what the doctor says goes. I know a lot of the time he is with dad he doesn’t wear his glasses but he is with me for 5 out of seven days so my son still benefits from the glasses

He will be bullied because he can’t see give that baby his glasses

1 Like

He’s more likely to be bullied if he goes to school and can’t read books and stuff bc he needs glasses. But most kids these days have glasses so I wouldn’t see them bullying him for it .

:100:affect him negatively. He will end up amblyopic. His optic nerves need the glasses to develop correctly and not create a long term issue. He needs them mow

Both my kids have glasses and have never been bullied for it. I’ve had glasses from the age of 10 and i can’t recall ever being bullied for it.

You say it goes beyond vanity, but I think it has everything to do with vanity. To deny your child something he needs just because you’re afraid of him being bullied is neglect, IMO. Seems like just an excuse he’s using to hide the fact that he cares more about what people think than his sons well being.

That just ridiculous not to give your child the tools he needs to learn with not to mention negligence as a parent

If he needs glasses get them for him. His vision could get worse. He could be bullied more if he doesn’t know his colors and numbers. There is nothing wrong with a child having glasses.

My son wore glasses and wasn’t bullied. My biggest issue was keeping a spare pair because he was rough on them

Why would he be bullied it would hurt him more to not be able to see correctly that could possibly make someone bully him maybe dad should keep his opinions to himself and get his sons eyes checked my twins wore glasses most of their lives they are 29 and a half years old don’t remember them being bullied for wearing glasses

Our son started wearing at 4. Never mentioned being bullied and was excited to be able to see. They will do an eye check in kindergarten most places so will catch to anyway.

kids can find any number of reasons to bully him, get him glasses so he can at least see who is doing it. jfc.

A. Dad needs to get over himself and get his kid glasses so he can see.
B. Many kids wear glasses.
C. He’s more likely to be bullied for being thought stupid because he can’t learn to read without glasses
D. Teach the kid to stand up for himself, be confident and not care what others think

Have the dad go with to pick out the glasses and have him see how his handsome His son will be. Pray about too.

If he needs glasses the parents should get it for him or either let him damage his eyes to the point that he’ll go blind ,his father is not making any sense

I’m guessing this all happened recently. Give your SIL time. Hopefully, in time, he will see how much his son will miss without glasses.

Alot of kids wear glasses. I dont think that they are bullied because of it. My son wore them and no bulling. But being called dumb because he is failing his school work because he cant see will be bullying. Also it can cause damage to his eyes that could have been prevented. Dad is so wrong.

I would say his father is being the bully for NOT getting the glasses and improving the child eye sight!! Kids this young don’t know bullying unless taught my their parents or older siblings. My granddaughter is 6 and started wearing at 4. It’s better to see than to be bullied for not seeing and understanding what’s being taught

This is ridiculous! My grandson has worn glasses since he was 3. It was caught in a preschool eye exam. He can’t see without them! He is now 10.

Sometimes I wonder if what I’m reading is true or if it’s all a joke. Wtf is wrong with that ‘dad’

1 Like

If bullying happens, have them call an assembly and explain to,the kids why he has to wear them and it is not something anybody should be ashamed about. Kids just need to be given the facts and they can deal with it on there terms…most times very well. Unfortunately, there are those who never learn how to treat people correctly, and unfortunately, they are a product of their immediate environment, which is sad.

My grandson wore glasses most of his school years. He’s 18 now and was never bullied for wearing glasses in fact he uses them as a fashion statement.

My granddaughter is 6 and has slight hearing loss and she needs hearing aids she also has glasses it what is in the best interest of the child

That could be neglect on the fathers side. If he wears them now he may not need them later on. It will also hinder his development when he goes to school

I have had glasses since I was 6, I’m 49 now,I will admit I got bullied, but it was for being Dyslexic and for having clothes that where not in stile. Glasses hardly ever came into it.

my son also had glasses at an early age. luckily his vision was corrected.

My daughter was 3 when she started wearing glasses. It was hard at first to get her to wear them but because we did she outgrew the problem. Does he want his son to see correctly? He needs those glasses to see. Not saying he won’t be bullied but my daughter never wad

A lot of children wear glasses. Four of my six grandchildren wear glasses and they do not get bullied. It is so important that he gets the glasses rather than fall behind with what he learns.

Why would an iPad hinder his learning? That’s how my son learned a child that age with no neurological concerns should know basics by now

Um, who cares if he is? He can’t see?.. It’s neglectful to not get him glasses.

1 Like

He makes no sense …bullied for wearing glasses or bullied for not being able to see? Treat your kid with respect and have him wear glasses …he is three and needs the use of his eyes to learn …You can still give him love and protect him …if he gets bullied call the other kid out on it everytime and tell them it is not going to be accepted

Children nowadays more often wear glasses, rather than suffer in silence. They have cute styles that fit better than the ugly ones we had as kids. If he is bullied, take it up with the school. Loudly! Bullying has no place in education, and a child needs glasses to be rid of the headaches, guessing the words or numbers on the board. His confidence will increase along with being comfortable with his sight. Get the glasses! Its the best thing his parents can do for him.

Lots of glasses-wearers in my family, most of us since childhood. Not one of us has been bullied for wearing them

Messed up, he needs glasses you give him glasses, its not bullied as much as people think anymore. Kids bully for alot of other stuff now. I needed glasses since 1rst grade and didnt get them until 5th grade. My parents knew, im still made at them for neglecting my need for so long. Both my kids have been to the eye dr yearly since 4 yrs old.

Please get him the glasses. I didn’t get mine until I was 10. I couldn’t see the blackboard from the front row. No one will bully him for wearing glasses. It will be part of him.

The priority here is to get the child what he needs in order for him to function normally and reach milestones in his life. His father’s issues about vanity, bullying etc. are secondary. Think of how you can help him succeed.

Why not take this opportunity to teach your son that he is a great kid regardless of his glasses or any thing that would cause him to be bullied. This is Dad’s problem which could negatively impact his son for years to come.

There will always be bullying but if your child is taught why he is wearing them I don’t think it will be that big of issue.

I have had students Kindergarten thru 4th grade, some wearing glasses and no one has made fun of them. In fact they want them too. They have reminded students to wear them cause they forget to put them in after recess. But that is not an issue I have ran across.

I CAN not believe you need to ask He will be bully more if he can not read and learn . Come on Dad ,think this thru —-give him confidence in him self

I would be just as worried about the husband. He is not thinking logically or rationally.

HE SOUNDS like a real clown. So he would rather him be bullied for not seeing? I would have my sons eyes checked and glasses if he needed them.