My grandson needs glasses but his dad is against it: Advice?

My daughter has been wearing glasses since she was 2 and has not been bullied and has plenty of friends. If he needs them then get them otherwise he may need surgery down the road

He is more likely to be bullied for not wearing glasses and not being able to learn because of not being able to see well tell your son-in-law to blur his vision and see how he likes it. It may eventually cause your grandson to have bad headaches

I doubt anyone will make fun of him and he needs to have his eyes fixed. He may not have to wear them forever.
Your son in law def needs to be river ir. That kid will go through a lot more then worrying if he’ll be bullied over glasses.
He needs help. Kids first before pride.

No mine has had them since they were little nit get bullied for it. He needs them to see if they want him to excel

His dad needs to get off his high horse!! Of he needs glasses then he should get them, it’s for his health, especially since he cant see. I have worn glasses most of my life. Yeah I got teased but kids will tease him and then get over it and they’ll moved on to something else. I do believe that it is a type of neglect…

My son was 3 when he got glasses… I let him pick them out (paw patrol of course) he did and does great and no he doesn’t get made fun of… actually the opposite kids in his class ask their parents if they can get glasses too… and from the moment he put them on his life changed I almost cried when he walked around saying mommy I can see … I can see this or this… it was a game changer!

1 Like

My son has glasses and has not been bullied for it. He got his glasses around 3rd or 4th grade and no one even thought different…

It is much more important your grandson can see then worry about he MIGHT get bullied

My son needed glasses at that age too. I too was totally shocked because he never seemed to have any problems. But when he put them on he didn’t mind them and it seemed to have instantly made a world of a difference for him. I felt so bad because I felt like I was neglecting something so beneficial to him. He should definitely get them before he starts school otherwise he’ll struggle and it may be perceived as something other then just simply not being able to see.

1 Like

I finally got glasses. I too can see far away. I can tell if it’s a red oak or white oak leaf blowing across the road at 300 feet.
But that object in front of my car-is that a tree or a person. It’s better to be able to identify what’s up close.
As for being bullied. If he’s not bullied for glasses, it might be something else.
If he can’t identify numbers, letters, things up close, he won’t be able to read, or see road signs. Glasses are just another medical accessory. Just like my grandchild’s insulin pump. Ya need it to live.

My daughter had to get special prescription glasses due to her brain cancer. The tumor had caused so much nerve damage in her left eye she is nearly blind in that eye. Her eye used to sit in the corner of the socket due to nerve damage. Her chemo actually had helped because it shrunk the tumor but she still has nerve damage that may never heal. The point is she needed glasses to help her vision she is almost blind in her left eye and normal vision in her right. She has to have a eye surgery to hopefully help her eye. So is it a process for a child to wear glasses yes it is he will learn to adjust to it and ir could help him. And by his father not wanting his son to wear glasses hes being too controlling so what would his father want more his son to get the glasses to help his vision or would he want his son to not wear the glasses and his vision become worse and then has no choice but to wear glasses and his vision could get worse the longer he waits

My daughter has glasses from toddler age, and has never been bullied for it. Actually gets alot of compliments on how cute they are. Why the hell would you not want to let your child see? Or suffer from headaches? Or be at his very best even if that requires glasses? Dad needs a good licking not doing what’s the best thing for the kiddo.

1 Like

Three of four of my kids wear glasses. No bullying from anyone. But that could be my area too. Although when I was in school here there was bullying over glasses. New generation maybe. :woman_shrugging:t2:

My daughter had glasses at 2. She was fine. Not bullied. And is now a vet. My husband wore glasses with my daughter to support her. He usually wore contacts

That’s a form of abuse the kid needs glasses but the dad is against it. Your son-in-law needs to grow up.

Dad needs to get over it, sounds like dad is vain…he’s a baby 3 years old not in school who gonna bullie him…care for those eyes

Instead he wants your grandson to go without? That would have more of a negative impact on the child. Bullies happen, but you teach them the situation. He might not even be bullied over glasses but why let his eyes possibly get worse?

Get him glasses they might help his eyes get stronger. It happened to me when I was in 1st grade. I wore them less than a year.

dad needs to chill if your child needs glasses not the end of the world so many people wear them

He needs glasses and the kids won’t bully

I’ve found kids don’t make fun of kids with glasses anymore. If anything, they’re jealous when they don’t have them too!

My grandson is extremely farsighted. He wears the thickest glasses I think I’ve never seen. He very intelligent, and he says the kids don’t bother him at all. He has friends, loves reading, and was totally amazed he could see his feet when he first got his glasses. I cried over this thinking I should have noticed it sooner.

No there are alot of kids with glasses

All kids wear glasses even the cool kids

No, your son in law needs to get a grip, frankly, not getting him glasses is child abuse. Daddy is being selfish.

My grandson is almost blind due to a cyst on his brain when he was born. He always has the best glasses. My grand daughter has glasses, too. She has light purple ones. Neither have ever been bullied due to glasses. Karson’ big brother would put a stop to that and Mz Jessalyn would take care of them herself.

The longer you wait the worse his vision will get your grandson will learn to handle other kids dad needs to quit being a selfish brat and let his son see the what he’s been missing

Cal CPS that’s neglect. Sorry the kid got such an immature idiot for a “father.”

He’s three! What other children is he around that are going to bully him? And kids are shits, they will bully anybody for any reason. To deny his son the ability to see correctly one is only going to worsen his eyes but it can cause learning and developmental delays!

74 Likes

Get the glasses. My son got his at 4 when his teacher mentioned he may need them and sure enough he was almost blind. He is almost 25 now and I can still tell that his early learning put him behind. He struggled so much more than his siblings. Kids who do not learn well get bullied a lot more than kids who wear glasses.

7 Likes

That is a deservice to the child I have been in health care especially in eyes for 19 years and this child will not function well without having proper care for his eyes. Dad needs to grow up. Mom needs to stand up for whats right she works for a eye doctor no excuses.

37 Likes

Not getting the child glasses or other medically needed care is child abuse. By not getting glasses your grandson will be behind in education, athletics, and other skills, and has potential to being bullied even more than if he had glasses. At an older age he can get contacts if he doesn’t want to wear glasses. However glasses are not just for looks they are a necessity.

22 Likes

Oh my god tell your son in law to get a life. Your grandson will not do good in school or anything if he can’t see. Just wait if he has to wear braces all the kids do. Parents are supposed to help their children succeed in life. Just get the glasses for this child, he will probably be so happy he can see.

15 Likes

All 3 of my boys wear glasses, and have since they were very young. They have never been bullied because of their glasses. Sounds to me like your son-in-law needs to pull his head out of his a**, stop neglecting his son, and take care of the boy’s needs! If he’s so worried about his son being bullied then give the child the necessary life skills and tools to handle it.

20 Likes

Once he gets into school, it’ll become very obvious that he needs glasses, and if he doesn’t get them, the school is mandated to report that to the authorities. If he’s only 3 now, it shouldn’t take until he’s in school. He needs them now. Mom needs to stand up to dad and make it happen. I wonder what dad would do if they had to deal with a much more serious medical issue than glasses?? He should be grateful that it’s a simple fix.

4 Likes

Not providing medically for his needs so he can become a fully functioning person/ learn to the best of his ability constitutes a child in need of care.

2 Likes

Kids at my son’s school loved his glasses. He had blue ones, red ones, and then clear ones. It will do more damage to the poor kid if he can’t see and learn than it will to have a select few kids tease him about his glasses.

2 Likes

My son needed glasses at a young age. I was concerned about bullying. It wasn’t a problem. But if he fell behind his classmates and performed poorly in school could have easily caused bullying. So pick you poison. Kids get bullied for the craziest things. I rather take my chances with glasses than people thinking I not smart. Your child likely won’t be teased about glasses. And your child will enjoy seeing all they have been missing.

16 Likes

Non of my kids have been bullied for wearing glasses. That little boy is being denied an education do to not being able ti see close up and his dad needs to get off his high horse and let his son have a chance at success hus mom need to put her foot down too.

21 Likes

Your grandson likely will experience some bullying in his lifetime. Wearing glasses or not that will likely happen. This is a necessity for him to have glasses. It’s unfair to not get him something he needs. And there’s no reason to think they will increase the likelihood he would get bullied. I wear glasses and have since I was little. There was never really bullying over wearing glasses either.

7 Likes

It’s bordering on abuse to let the poor child go through life not being able to see. He needs glasses now and perhaps can get contacts when he is older.

7 Likes

Seems like he will begin to fall behind if he gets to school and not be able to see well seems really stupid that his dad is so against it, how would he like it if he wasn’t able to see. I’d always do what’s best for my son regardless and he will most likely need glasses soon I’d rather have him be able to see than the slight possibility of him being bullied, you can’t 100% prevent bullying you can only address it if it that happens

Should not even be a question. If the child needs glasses, get him glasses. It would be extremely cruel not to. Teach him self esteem so that he can overcome bullying. Almost all kids are bullied at some point.

7 Likes

He needs them Dad! Now before he gets in school. I wore them back in the sixties! No bullying there

1 Like

My grandson has worn glasses since he was 3. Desperately needed them and never protested wearing them since they help him so much. He’s a 10 year old 5th grader now and has NEVER been bullied. Get this child the help he needs!

1 Like

My 2 year old Grandson has had his glasses for about 2 months…never even thought about him being bullied…his eyesight is what’s important…tell Dad to grow up!

4 Likes

If he doesnt get those glasses and the baby needs them, then that’s neglect. So he wants the child’s eyesight to get worse? What kind of parenting is that? So he has to choose between bad eyesight or being bullied because he has to wear glasses?? Smh

1 Like

The child needs to be able to see. It’s not fair to him that his Father is against that. Kids will always make fun for one reason or another hes 3 his vision is important.

4 Likes

Is his dad relating to bring bullied as a child? Is he trying to protect his son from that experience? Regardless of his reason, he needs to understand that denying his son the ability to see is not the way to deal with his fears.

4 Likes

This is being a bad parent. Dad needs to grow up. What if something else comes up. What will dad do. Withhold treatment.

7 Likes

His eyes are more important than his dad’s ego! If he gets bullied or teased, his dad should be there for him, but not allowing him to get glasses? That’s just wrong.

3 Likes

My daughter was 4 when she got her glasses. Never once has she been bullied. Shes 15 now. He’ll be bullied for not being able to see! So many kids have glasses now.

1 Like

My 7 year old grandson wears glasses. He has never been bullied. He had difficulty in school and the teacher suggested having his eyes checked when he was four. They also keep an extra pair handy because he has broke several pairs. His dad needs to grow up! He will cause his eyes to worsen at a much higher rate and he will have learning problems.

8 Likes

Please get this boy what he needs. I know my son has worn glasses since he was 5 years old. He didn’t get bully or picked on because of it. I will never forget the day he got them. When we walked out of the doctor’s office. My son just looked up and all around. His smile said it all. Never regretted it.

3 Likes

My daughter was not bullied and he’s gonna get bullied for looking stupid cause he can’t see. He’s going to get bullied if this keeps him back in school. Form of neglect, sorry, for not taking care of his sons overall health. I hope your SIL “sees” this soon

3 Likes

My granddaughter started wearing glasses at 4 years old just as she was starting pre k. My daughter was worried about the same thing. He’s better off starting young were kids are not judgemental, and also he is putting his sons education in harm’s way because he needs to be able to see. That’s just selfish if he doesn’t let him…

2 Likes

Are you kidding me? That father is ridiculous. If your child needs glasses then you get them glasses. Period. Sounds like more of a dad issue than what it will be which is nothing.

3 Likes

I’ve worn glasses since I was ten. Yes, kids made hurtful comments about it, but all kids get some kind of hurtful comments made to them about something. He has to be taught by his loved ones that he has value and to love himself with or without glasses. I know, I know, easier said than done!

1 Like

Kids can be mean for any reason , but your grandchild needs to be able to see. It sounds like your son in law is the kinda man who would have bullied a kid in glasses. He needs to take a seat

2 Likes

His eyes will get worse. Your son in law needs to put his child’s needs first. Unbelievable

3 Likes

Dad and son should have eye tests together. Dad should be grateful there are services to help his young son live life with perfect vision.

2 Likes

I could not see and did not realize it until my teacher actually stopped at our house to tell my mother he thought I needed glasses. I know it made learning harder without them and the biggest thing was how amazed I was when I could see a bird in a tree and a bunny in the yard. How great it was that I could see expressions on people’s faces. It’s soooo important to get the glasses

2 Likes

Kids will always find a way to pick on another child. Our job as a parent is not to try to protect our kids from the world, but to give them the tools to navigate the world.

1 Like

Lots of children wear glasses. Why would this one be bullied? I wear glasses as does my husband and oir son. None of us have been bullied for glasses. The boy needs them to see properly and learn.

1 Like

I mean if he’s so worried he should teach him how to fight. Not providing his glasses is neglect. An eye doctor can and will report both of them in the future if they don’t have him wear them.

1 Like

Everyone will experience some type of bullying it’s how one is helped thru it.Better to learn now tat the glasses r needed and it doesn’t matter what they say

1 Like

I think it will be fine he needs to learn and be able to see what’s wrong with him

1 Like

He’s more likely to be bullied if he gets behind, my son had ADHD and had to have help, he was bullied because of the extra help he needed.

1 Like

Get him glasses!!! All you should be concerned about is what is best for him! He needs to see, I can’t believe you would even worry about anything else!!

1 Like

My son is 5 years old and we just found out he needs glasses …Not for one second would i even think about him not wearing them because he will get bullied …His ability to see outweighs anything else !!

My daughter was excited for glasses. They are such a fashion statement these days. She has never had a bullying issue over them and all the headaches she use to complain of have disappeared.

1 Like

Get the dadgum glasses! He needs to be able to SEE! So much of what he learns will be impacted by his vision. Teach him a patient response to teasing or bullying if/when it happens. Do not handicap him!

I work for a lawyer in Southern Ca. It is a form of neglect. Not only is your son-in-law being selfish towards his son, he is putting his wife’s job at risk. Optometrist are mandated reporters.

Your son in law needs to get his priorities straight. The kid will be made fun of more if he is failing school because he can’t see… or walking into things… or heaven forbid, he walks out in the road! Bad eye sight also causes terribke headaches! He needs to build his kid up by telling him how handsome he is in his new glasses! Kids always find something to make fun of. Teach the child to overcome that! And tell the adult to behave like a responsible adult!

He will be bullied because he is unable to learn, also. However, at age 3 you might want to consult a pediatric opthamologist…there may be more at work here that simple far sight…and the confidence he brings will serve him well. He sounds like a very bright little boy. My daughter was near sighted, and we did not know until she picked up my glasses when she was 12 yo and exclaimed, “I can see a bird in that tree”. I did not realize how much she had missed because we did not know.

He needs to get the glasses. Thousands of kids have glasses. I would think it would be a form of neglect for him to know his child needs glasses but not give them to him because hes worried about him being bullied. The fact that he learns things from tv and tablet isn’t alarming, those are much bigger than notebooks and such that he will need to use ro learn to read and write.

Eventually everyone gets bullied for something. BUT that is no reason for a CHILD to not be able to see. That is unfair to him.

The child NEEDS glasses to see!! This is not about the father! Not being able to see will affect his ability to learn!
The parents/ grandparents have the responsibility to empower this child, instill a confidence and a sense of security in this child! At the age of 3 it is doubtful that the child would be bullied… by who! This sounds like the father projecting some of his past experiences onto the child! To deny the child glasses because the father fears bullying makes no sense; it sounds like lunacy to me(no disrespect) It’s neglect to say the least! Sounds like the father was bullied at some point in his life!

if his eye sight needs correction and doesnt get it, it can lead to headaches and eye strain, not to mention his brain wont be trained to see correctly. I’d check with a pediatric opthomologist on the negatives

How unfair to the child! I was near sighted but didn’t know until I was ten. I was so excited to see everything I had been missing. I didn’t know people could see across the street! My son inherited it. He loved his glasses for the same reason. Your son will know the joy of reading with glasses. I thank God every day for glasses and all they have given us. Please don’t take this joy away from your son.

I think being able to read and seeing the teacher and benefiting from the needed glasses outweighs the bullying. He’s being taught vanity is more important than learning, education and kindness.

I’m sure that falls under medical neglect!
Dad as a parent is responsible for his sons health, which includes eye care.
May he rec the long term effects of denying his son EXCELLANT eyecare.
Early detection could possibly mean this child may have his eye site restored to 20/20 if Dad provides his son with the necessary glasses. (Im not an eye care specialist and I do not know this family do I don’t know what the eye Dr said to the family).
Prayers for this little guy to get glasses.

Ummm his eyesight is way more important. Medical neglect much? Teach the child to ignore bullies i mean seriously. I have 2 out of 3 with glasses and none of them were bullied wtf is wrong with parents smdh

Not allowing him to wear glasses is nothing short of neglect! He is vision impaired and needs the damn things. What kind of stupid question is “should he wear them” how about teach him to stand up for himself I stead of allowing him to suffer more vision loss?! Bullies will find anything to pick on a child about. Teach him to give the middle finger or use a few choice words. Maybe it’s me but I think this is a ridiculous post. Oh and tell the dad to kiss your ass he’s wearing the glasses

1 Like

I don’t think the whole ‘four eyes!’ Bullying cuz of glasses is as big a thing anymore. I’d worry more for the kids overall health impact if he can’t see properly. And want about when he turns 16 and goes to drive??? Not to mention school offically will notice his poor eyesight long before that since eye exams are given regularly in schools and teachers will question why he isn’t wearing glasses if it’s seen he needs them. The father could end up with CPS called on him if he does not get his son glasses when a doctor has said it’s needed.

Parents of children with Cancer, Down Syndrome, Autism, CP,
Blindness and other life limiting diseases only wish glasses could cure them. Your son needs to grow up and teach his son that everyone has challenges in this life. Thank God your grandson only needs glasses. Shame on this father for not putting his child’s needs first!

The bullies are going to pick on anyone doesnt matter if they have glasses or not. My daughter got bullied when she was diagnosed with a bleeding disorder in 7th grade by a girl that was supposed to be her best friend. The best advice I can give is give your grandson confidence to know that he is awesome glasses or not. Everyone has a “flaw” that someone else will think is weird. That’s what makes us all special.

Far as iam concern it sounds like the boys father is a bully for not letting him wear glasses it well have a inpact on the boy if he don’t have them it well interfere in his learning & education far as i concern i call that neglect of a child so dad get it together and get your son some glasses or are you a cheap dad that don’t want to spend some money and show the love you don’t have for him so if you love your children you would do what ever it takes and do for your child to have a better vision i hope and pray you do this for your child

You allow the child to pick their frames out. Some people look better with gladden than without them. Its better to see, then pretend you can see and fail behind. Either way they have a chance of being bullied. Teach your child to stand up for themselves and also teach them. The person who bullies them. Has it way worst than them.

The little boy needs glasses. Get them! He will not b bullied. Being bullied starts at home. There is nothing better than to b able to see. Life is so much better all the way around

The child health and well being comes first. That daddy needs help. His mom should take responsibility for her child and get that baby the glasses that he needs. That’s neglect. The daycare or a responsible grandparent need to report this to DSS

He’s just as likely to be bullied for not being able to keep up, but at 3 he’ll have a hard time keeping up with glasses. As far as learning colors, etc., many devices have settings to help the visually impaired. Check in the settings under accessibility

Both my son and grandson needed glasses by kindergarten.
No bullying because of glasses.
Granddaughter also needed glasses. No bullying there.
If they can see well or identify thing they may get bullied for that. Besides form of neglect not to get them glasses.

He can be bullied for wearing glasses, or he could be bullied for not knowing his colors, letters or numbers or being uncoordinated and bumping into nearby objects, which is worse for him in the long run? Oooor, he may not be bullied at all because he’s so confident with his cool glasses that all the little kids will want them…How you approach his glasses will reflect greatly on how he views himself and how others view him. :sunglasses:

It’s stupid to not get the kid help because you fear he will bullied. Kids will always find reasons to bully other kids , its all part of growing up. Instead teach your kids to have self confidence and stand up for themselves

If he needs glasses he should get them. If not it could impact his learning down the line

1 Like

Neglecting a childs needs is worse than any chance he might be bullied.

My 6 and 8 year old kids have been in glasses since each of them were 5 never been bullied just get alot of compliments on how good they look in there glasses!

Kids may tease him but he will get through it.
Would dad rather he be unable to learn because he can’t see well?
Dad needs an attitude adjustment-and quickly!

His father is displaying bullying behavior. The child needs glasses get the glasses. There should be no other discussion. People have glasses, people have braces. Maybe dad needs to teach his son to have confidence and stick up for himself, and choose friends who treat him nice and don’t worry about the rest.