My husband does not want our kids around my friend who has seizures: Advice?

Nah the kids won’t be traumatized if you talk to them about it and treat it like no big deal. My husbands kids aren’t traumatized from his epilepsy. Knowledge is power!

3 Likes

Educate him that anyone can develop seizures at any time. No one is exempt from that happening not you, your kids, or him. How would he feel if that was y’all with no help. Some schools are already in training in seizure safety awareness. I pushed for that legislation here in my state after my son had one & got stuck in his desk at school. There was no nurse on campus & no one else trained to assist & administer his rescue meds. Thankfully his stepped up & helped him. They were just as angry as we were. You would be surprised how compassionate & resilient kids are as well as open to learning.

2 Likes

As someone with seizures, brain surgeries, auto-immune disease, blood disorders, etc… and kids, take the compromise he offered. Got get your friend and help her and allow him to take the kiddos. You can educate and explain WITHOUT them seeing it firsthand! I don’t believe there’s a “Right or Wrong” person in this equation. You both have admirable goals and both should be respected and honored. Best of luck and thank you for caring about your friend so much. They are lucky to have you in their circle!

2 Likes

He is right seizures are traumatic to see but they are important to identify. When I was in high school a girl started seizing and everyone jumped up and ran away from her and because I was familiar with seizures at a young age I was able to help her and get a teacher so they could call the ambulance. That is my opinion anyway.

3 Likes

I think it would be a good thing , teach them how to help someone who is having one. Also shows them how to help someone who is in need of help

My sons father is epileptic. Although your husband has a legit concern, speak to your children and teach them. If a seizure were to happen they would know what to look for. My son is 11 and has been able to identify his dads seizures since he was 2. He is capable of getting his dad the medical help when seizures happen when there is no one around.

3 Likes

I don’t know 3 & 5 are pretty young to see this if it happens,it also depends on her actions while she’s having a seizure,I understand she can’t help it,you said she hasn’t had one scense she’s been out of the hospital but didn’t say how long she has been out !! even if you explain it to the 3 & 5 it could very well scare them !! also how is she getting to your house ? not driving I hope with the seizers !!

U need to find a new husband the one u have sucks

3 Likes

You are so sweet for wanting to do this for her. If you explained what could happen to her and they understand, there is no reason why you couldn’t help her for a couple days.

While I can see where your husband is coming from, explaining your friend’s situation to your children in case of a seizure before you go and get her would be right. Keep it brief and simple. As has been said, you can’t keep real life from them and at least they’ll be prepared if they see someone else having one at some point.

1 Like

as the mom of an almost 2 year old who has seizures, your husband is the AH :triumph:

4 Likes

I think ur husband sounds kinds jerky. Sorry to say that in a mean way. It sounds like ur friend is going thru a VERY difficult time right now

How amazing that you’re trying to be there for that friend :pray:t3:

I would just explain to kids ahead of time and have a plan for them if the friend has a seizure. For example you guys go play and I’ll let you know when u can John us again

3 Likes

I knew a women who “kindly” told my mother she couldn’t be around her until her miscarriage news had blown over as she didn’t want her kids traumatized that babies die. My daughter recently had a seizure scare and it was a possibility she could have had cancer. Had I had a person tell me they could no longer be in her life cause it may upset their children I’m pretty sure I’d call them an ass. There are things in this world. Shield you kids when you can but attempting to hide that people can get sick is not only impractical but isolating. Teach your children ti be great DHL for their health. God forbid it could be them tomorrow and how would you feel if their friends dropped them like a hot potato cause it was just too sad.

It’s a great learning experience for them. People have health problems in real life. Some people have seizures. They will at least know what to do and how to act in emergency situations and it will be less impactful because they aren’t so close to your friend. My grandma used to have seizures sometimes. We were allowed to sleep over there. I think your husband is afraid of being traumatized and doesn’t want to deal with it more than the kids

2 Likes

I’m praying for your hubby

I have seizures myself. It started when my son was 2. He’s almost 9 now. He hasn’t seen me have 1 but I’ve talked to him and he knows I have them and what to do. Eventually your kids are going to know what they are. A lot of people kids included have them. Why not let them know what to do it could help save a peer of theirs

2 Likes

That’s b.s. I never shielded my kids from any life situations like death. They went to all funerals, we’ve had epileptic people around, severe diabetes, everything. These things don’t wait for anything for anyone and the more quickly you can teach them about these things and even not to freak and sometimes even what they can do to help based on age the better equipped they’ll be in their own lives. If you actually RAISE and expose and teach them to be like our job is to do as a whole, then they’ll be fine and even more compassionate, level headed, and possibly the one that saves someone. Bubble wrapping our kids gets nothing but entitled kids who need safe spaces because they fall apart.

1 Like

It was traumatic for my sister and I at age like 13&15 to see someone at the grocery store fall and have a seizure … I can’t imagine a 3&5 year old. If I could help my 3 year old being around one I wouldn’t let her to shield her from that until she has a better understanding.

2 Likes

Personally I think it’s good for them to know this type of thing happens to certain people so they could learn what to do in that kind of situation. My daughter has seizures and the first time she had one I didn’t know it was one because I never saw them before…I definitely thought she was dying and called 911 panicking like a lunatic not knowing what was going on.

Obviously I know now what to do if she ever had another but that’s because I’ve experienced it.

3 Likes

I grew up in a home where my brother had severe brain damage and had all kinds of seizures. I think it depends on the kind of seizures your friend has. If they’re full body and long, yes that is scary for that age group no matter what you tell them. But if they’re slight shaking and short then it’ll be a good learning experience

1 Like

I’m sorry but that seem ridiculous. It’s a health problem, you can’t shield them from potentially scary disorders. Instead of rushing them away from someone who can’t control this disorder, educate them about disorder/ health problems. I know people who have disabilities and disorders that love my children and are happy to see them and it’s my job as a parent to teach my children that people are made differently and some people go through things they can’t control such as, grandma has diabetes and if you visit grandma and she is unresponsive give her a sugar tab/ my 7 year old saved my mom because we choose to teach her about health problem, another example: this lady had a stroke so half of her face doesn’t work and she has very hard time talking. Please educate your children!

1 Like

This how you teach kids empathy. Explain to them that she has an illness and should she have a seizure, they stay out of the way and let the grown ups handle it and call 911.

8 Likes

Really? I’m with the husband on this one! You would expose young children to a critical health issue.
My grandchildren who are 5, 7 and 11 witnessed a grand mall by their uncle. They were traumatized as we all were. A seizure is nothing to fool around with. Let them grow up some before you expose them to a life and death situation.

6 Likes

I am kinda split on this one. I get where you both are coming from. He is just looking out for those babies. He is right that it could be traumatic for them. I get you can talk to the 5 year old but how with the 3 year old? But I get we also need to teach our kids to be there for other people too. So I’m lost on this one. I would say let your husband go spend a weekend away with the kids while you get her situated

1 Like

Your husband sounds like a dick :woman_shrugging:t2:

Ummm… that’s very weird. Tell your husband to stop being a weirdo.

1 Like

Your husband is ridiculous. Sounds like an excuse to not have you spend time with your friend. Controlling, Jealous, obsessive?

1 Like

If you explain to your kids what a seizure is and looks like, they will be okay. You never know…that knowledge could help them save a life some day.

We don’t shield ours to anything really, but I do understand him being scared for them. It’s scary to see a seizure at any age. Maybe have a ‘plan’ incase the friend does have a seizure?

I can understand where he is coming from, but at the same time you can’t shield your kids from real life situations. Explain seizures to them the best way you can for them to understand. Possibly show them videos so they would know what to maybe expect Incase. Explain to them if it were to happen don’t freak out, etc.
It’s best to go ahead and educate kids on these type of things so if they happen to experience they will at least have a bit of knowledge about them. Seizures isn’t a type of situation you should want them shielded from & not educated on. This is the real world they’re living in and a seizure could happen to literally anyone at any given moment.

My outlook on this is this way bc my mom had a seizure out of nowhere a couple of months ago. She has NEVER had a seizure before. Absolutely no history of them. She hadn’t had any illnesses etc that would raise chances of having a seizure. I have 5 kids. 2 were present when her seizure happened. My 3 yr old did get scared and worried but she’s not traumatized by it. & my mom’s seizure was pretty scary and intense. Hers was one that made her whole body tense and jerk around violently. Eyes rolling back and foaming at the mouth. When she finally came out of it she had no clue who my dad was, didn’t know her age, that she had kids, etc.
My point is, anyone can have one at any given time. You, their dad, their friend at school, etc. It’s most beneficial to educate them on the matter instead of trying to shield them from real life situations.
At the end of the day tho, those are y’all’s kids & y’all have to decide what y’all feel is right for y’all’s kids & family.

1 Like

This is when it is hard parenting. Husband and your parenting instincts differ. But he has as much right to have his opinion as you. They are his children as well. Both should be respected until A mutual understanding comes. You help your friend in a different location. Or arrange for additional childcare. Maybe another family member can watch your children. Happy compromise! And your friend gets help.

Wow. My son has congenital heart defects and I would be furious if someone didn’t want him around cause of it. This could be a teaching opportunity to show your children to help and compassion. I would explain to them what could happen, what to do if it does, and why you are helping her. Let them be apart of it never is to early to show children love and compassion.

1 Like

If your friend had a seizure, you children would see it. They would see their parents handle the situation. They would learn from it and potentially help someone in the future because of it.
Yes, it could be traumatizing, a lot can be. But this could also be a good teaching moment.

13 Likes

I’d rather have the kids around her, so they can be aware, and have it be a learning experience. Granted, my father was a nurse, my mother and I both were cna’s and we all worked with mentally and physically disabled people.

1 Like

Sounds like he’s not comfortable with her around and using the kids as an excuse. I would respect his feelings.

3 Likes

Your husband is a dickhead. Straight up. Kids need to learn about life and this is part of it

What a beautiful friend you are

He should get you two a nice room to have a get a away and catch up and relax.

2 Likes

Tell your hubby to take the kids for a few days then, help your friend! She doesn’t deserve to be isolated due to seizures!

5 Likes

I don’t think your husband is necessarily being a POS nor necessarily completely unreasonable (my 3rd grade teacher had a brain tumor and ended up having a grand Mal seizure in the middle of an assembly and right onto MY lap. I was afraid to even move, that if I did, she would hurt her head until some adults made me move and, while nit overly traumatic to ME, I was more concerned about if SHE was going to be alright more than anything, I do know that it WAS a bit traumatic for some of my classmates and some of the other kids at the assembly, so I do get where he is coming from) but he is looking at this from a different perspective than you.
Having her stay with y’all can do one of two things and it can vary from child to child AND dependinging on how the adults handle it, can impact the lessons learned here.
Either they can learn a greater lesson in fearing others who are different or they can learn a greater lesson in empathy for those around them.
Do whatever you can for your friend, but it is HIS house and HIS kids just as much as the house and kids are YOURS and he SHOULD have a say in what goes on in a home and with kids that are HIS as well and in situations like this, if the couple cannot agree, then it does not happen.
Obviously, try periodically to see if you can educate him and help him be more open, but don’t make that big of a unilateral decision without him.

Lol… helicopter dad? Seizures are common and my daughter seen one in the mall at the age of 4! They can happen anywhere, I also went to school with children who took seizures. You can’t shelter them from the world forever, teach them, educate them. So when it happens someday in a public setting they are not traumatized and confused then, they will already know!

1 Like

I mean there’s ways to prepare kids to see a seizure if it’s a possibility (I’m sure YouTube probably has a simulation of one) but it’s a great learning opportunity for the real world. I was in 2nd grade the first time I saw someone have a seizure and I’ll tell you I’m now a caregiver and they are just as scary every single time but I know what to do to help now. Also my first real boyfriend has epilepsy and even seeing him seize was scary. They will always be something people don’t get used to, but the person seizing needs assistance and I think it’s great to teach children young that yes it can be scary, but you can help and not just be a bystander. You can’t always shield them from the real world.

Well it could be traumatic for ANYONE. But they could see it just being out and about from any given person. I personally don’t find it to be wrong from ithernside. I see hoth sides, but also have a lot of different in my family, so i have seen it all. Some i grew up with seeing and some had to grow into seeing. But in the ling run, i have become more aware of things and different situations and how ro help incase another is to be presented from another in front of me. From seizures all kinds diabetic, and narcolepsy, and more. So it’s a bit of a shake no matter how many times you see it. It’s never easy, but it’s better to be knowledgeable and helpful then leave one alone in that situation. I guess try to give more examples for him to see a light maby for the good in it. Good luck.

1 Like

Your husband is selfish

3 Likes

Maybe he is right…let him stay with the kids and you go and spend quality time w her a picnic or the beach

4 Likes

They’re his kids too and you should respect his wishes

2 Likes

As a mother of someone who has epilepsy I unfortunately agree with your husband. My daughter’s were traumatized the first time they saw their little brother have a seizure. It’s something they will not understand this young but uts terrifying.

Do everything you can for her and with her. Even take your kids to hang out, but spending an extended amount of time at this moment may not be the best idea.

3 Likes

Your kids, they are 3 and 5, you know their personalities and intelligence level, you decide when to expose them…ask your friend what she thinks, she may not want to expose them…3 adults, 1 unanimous decision…your husband isn’t an AH…just doesn’t know how to approach this situation, especially since your friend is female…

1 Like

He. Should be ashamed

1 Like

Anyone could have a seizure at any moment, anywhere. Definitely expose your children to someone who suffers and educate them please. It’s never too early to learn what to do in the event of a seizure.

5 Likes

Would he feel different if it were one of y’all’s babies

3 Likes

Nope I gotta agree with the husband, I know adults who themselves are traumatized from someone having a seizure, it’s a legit concern not him being a weirdo. I know adults who don’t want to be around people who have seizures because they themselves cannot handle it or have been traumatized because of it.

3 Likes

so let’s change the situation around what if It was her husband that had the seizures so in his mentality then the children shouldn’t be around him. this is what is wrong with the world it is teaching kids that people with disabilities should be hidden away.

4 Likes

Sounds like he’s the one scared to be around her. He needs to be more compassionate and merciful. Sounds like he made up his mind. But, I side with you. Teach them and let them see videos to be prepared for something like this. Who knows. They may need this information later to save a life. But, he’s the one your going to have to convince. God bless.

6 Likes

They need to know the signs. But i get his point. This could teach them to help someone. Compassion. Empathy.

1 Like

When I was a kid my cat had a seizure and I screamed like in the horror movies. My mom came running in, it was extremely traumatic for me. Just my two cents

2 Likes

Honestly at that age, I’m with your hubby on this one… My sister went to a horse riding school when we were in primary school and we both knew he friend had full body seizures but when we actually seen it we were both in tears and felt so helpless, I was about 12 and my sister was 10. I also seen a little girl have a seizure at a restaurant I use to work at and that was emotional also… Idk but at the end of the day it’s a choice between both you and your hubby so if he says no I’d let him have the kids while you spend some time with your friend. Like if it was someone close that yous seen all the time then yeah educate your kids straight away but if it’s something they don’t usually see, I wouldn’t.

2 Likes

I wouldnt expose them to that if dont have too. I left my kids at home for my grandmother’s funeral and took them to their grandfather’s…but the grandfather’s funeral was hard for them. They used to have a friend that had seizures regularly and it was very traumatic for them. The friend ended up moving to live closer to a clinic bc we are 40 minutes away from everything. Every time the friend had a seizure…my kids freaked out. Even after me explaining it several times and that the friend just needed rest and quiet after. At such a young age…let the kids be kids and experience as much happiness and normal as can. Life gets dark and rough enough later on. I had never experienced anyone having seizures before my kid’s friend either and first time was rough for me ,even in my 20s. Keep helping the friend and let hubby watch the kids.

1 Like

I grew up around it it’s definitely something to teach them early to know what and how to help and not to be afraid of it because most people will be

3 Likes

I’ve seen my first seizure at 14. It was traumatic asf and I started crying just seeing her flop around with 5 people trying to hold her down and stuff shit in her mouth so she won’t bite her tongue off. Your husband is right for wanting to protect HIS kids from trauma.

Soooo if you were to say have a random seizure one day and you were alone with the kids would you not be greatful that they had seen it before didn’t panic and knew what to do or…

1 Like

While I understand his concern, I have an Aunt who is Epileptic and has had seizures sporadically my WHOLE life. I am 48. It will not “scar” them if you let them know this is what can happen and it is a medical condition.

I think educating kids on different medical conditions is beneficial and raises them to be the calm voice in chaos. (I’m a paramedic, so I realize I have a different view) but my children have been exposed to many different things throughout their lives- one of which was they witnessed my husband and I revive a small girl around their age after she drowned on vacation- they were calm, knew to stand out of the way, and even waved the first arriving responders to us calmly. If they weren’t exposed to it, they would’ve been running scared and crying and been very traumatized, but since they’re aware that bad things happen, they were able to stay calm in the moment and stay close to mom without being in the way of the situation.

My daughter has severe nosebleeds. Im talking BAD. And she always says the only scary thing is when other kids panic about them. Otherwise she is calm and knows how to manage them on her own. Kids need exposures.

1 Like

I mean it’s a seizure. I think ur kids can learn if they witnessed one on what to do. Idc how young they are. I’ve seen /heard 911 calls from kids who are 3 or 4 years old calling for help bc mommy got hurt or what not (had a seizure or fell down the steps etc)
It’s not traumatic. U can’t isolate ur kids from all the Not happy things in this world.

1 Like

I suffer from seizures and they started when some of my kids were that age. It was more traumatic for them the first time bc I was their mom and they saw me that way. But just explaining to them what is happening and what to do is enough for them to understand.

this could be a teaching moment for the kids, i had an Uncle who had seizures i understood Uncle Billy was special. I never waas traumatized by his seizures and they were bad ones but to each thier own

1 Like

What a total jerk :roll_eyes:
He could develop a tumor or some other condition that would cause him to have seizures himself. What would he want to be done with the kiddos in that case? Children are very accepting and they need to learn that some people have health concerns and that’s just part of life.

6 Likes

Completely unreasonable. As long as she’s not trying to pick them up, which I’m sure she wouldn’t, they’ll be fine. Just tell the kids ahead of time in age appropriate verbage what may happen. I have seizures and our kids have seen me have them. It’s def been traumatizing but they know I’m going to be ok and what to do if it happens.

1 Like

I have a friend who has epilepsy. She used to babysit me as a child. Never once has her seizures scared me. I was explained to what they where and what to do. My children have also grown up around her, no issues. Your friend can not help that she has epilepsy, and should never be alienated for it. Instead provide education, teach compassion and understanding.

5 Likes

my daughter has epilepsy and while I get it could be scaredy for young children it also kinda upsets me that he think they shouldn’t be around her. its not her fault and it sounds like she needs someone in her corner. maybe work out a plan for him to watch the kids when you help her and talk to your kids about it I know there young but I’m sure there is a way to help them understand. my daughter was 5 when she was diagnosed and has had some kids and adults that were understanding but also had one that werent and made fun of her or were mean to her. its not her fault she is this way and should not have to be isolated because of her condition.

1 Like

His reasoning is pretty spund actually. I most certainly wouldn’t tell my friend this of course, and I would still want my kids to spend a bit of time with my friend if possible, but your kids are very young and its hard to process things, maybe him taking them somewhere else isnt terrible

I grew up with a uncle and other family members that had epilepsy while he is right I can be trmatic to see someone have a seriure. It could also be educational to the kids to explain to them how they happen and what happens when one occurs. In the end it’s up to you both to agree on something but it’s a part of life and one day they just may see someone have a seriure. They happen everyday to thousands of people

I mean anyone could have a seizure anywhere… someone could have a seizure at the grocery store. someone could have a seizure at school, once they go to school, one of their classmates. I think if you sit them down and explain your friend is sick and sometimes has seizures and tell them what that is, I think it would be okay. She needs help. And if you wanna help your friend I think your kids will be fine. He can rush them out of the room if he wants if she has one.

That’s kind of bullshit don’t shelter children it will be much worse for them in the long run.

Your husband is a complete asshole.

It’s not a bad compromise it will ease both your minds and help your friend at the same time.

Unreasonable! I get not leaving them with said friend but being around them, that’s absurd! It’s good exposure for them. What if they’re in public some day and someone next to them collapses in one? Same principle!

1 Like

So if he ever has a seizure he shouldn’t be around his kids? Your husband is a d&mba$$

3 Likes

Because of their ages, let him watch them while you take care of your friends needs. They are too young to understand all of it and it could be sad if she has a seizure in front of them.

I had aseisure, and I have been on antiseisure medication for nine years and have not had one, SA seisure can happewn to a child an adult if in thje sun to long, I am happy I do not have adaughter a friend that thinks like your husband.

2 Likes

I say, you do what you can for your friend & let hubby keep the babies when you have to be around her. And he may be afraid of her seizures too (it’s natural and yall need not to shame him like he’s cruel and has no compassion) if you are built like that and you can take it, do as much as you can for her. But I agree I think they’re too little for that. And ppl shouldn’t try to convince you to make your husband and kids get comfortable with this situation because it’s not theirs. If u had another child or their grandma or immediate family who had seizures, then I could see educating them in some way. But don’t put em thru it if u don’t have to. :heart: prayers for your friend

What a dickkkkk. My child and other children seen there small cousin have her second seizure and yes it’s impactful but not traumatic. Very kind of you, your husband should be more open! Just my thoughts.

Teach your child right, we help those in need.
Show your children that

8 Likes

Maybe he doesn’t want to be around her.

1 Like

Well from a dad and grandfather that has seizures point of view you should teach them to help not to be afraid maybe they will grow up and be a doctor or surgeon to help others yes it is scary even for the people having them we’re still good people just have a disability

11 Likes

What if it was a grandparent? Children are resilient. I would have talks about it with them. Maybe let her seizures become more controlled and then spend time with her around the kids. She’s not a freak, she’s a friend with medical issues. I’m sure she already feels isolated and alone. Children are so accepting and loving. I wish adults were that way. Kids may see this at school too. Education about medical conditions is a good thing. Accepting all for who they are and supporting them as best we can. They live in the real world and open communication and education is the way to go. Fear can paralyze people and we don’t have guarantees in any of our lives. This could happen to you or your husband. Would he want to be excluded on the “what if” situation? I just think education and speaking lovingly about a friend’s unfortunate medical condition is where I would start. Thanks for sharing your story and being a supportive friend. We all need friends and love.

2 Likes

I have epilepsy, and when people say/act like that, it makes the person who had epilepsy/seizures feel way worse. I fortunately have never had someone say that ( that I know of) to me. I have 2 kids and they have always been fine.

5 Likes

If they were older I feel like they would understand better but considering their age, it can be pretty traumatic. They are so young, I’m with your husband on this one.

Everyone has different opinions and here is mine. My brother has epilepsy he has since he was 6 months old. I have seen hundreds and hundreds of seizures and its NEVER easy. I have 2 boys a 5 year old and a 15 year old they have been raised around my brother their whole lives. We talk about seizures and this is how my brother lives his life. My 5 year old was so scared at first he would cry and scream every time he had a seizure. Now if my brother has a seizure we get him to his side because he vomits my son immediately gets a bag washcloth and towel. My older son knows how to 100% deal with a seizure on his own. In my opinion seizures suck I’m 35 years old its awful every damn time. I think having your friend stay with you is absolutely wonderful and your kids would do just fine. Everyone should have a friend like you :heart:

Wow. I wonder would he be okay if one of his children were to have seizures would he be cool with other adults/kids treating your child the same? Or if he became afflicted with them, would he move out to keep them from being “traumatized” or make you leave of it were you? There was a time when parents explained things to kids and it helped create adults with the ability to be compassionate and empathize, today we seem to be creating the opposite in humans. Frightened at every little thing, unable to cope, self soothe, think under any bit of pressure. As a child I had a relative who had seizures,vwe we’re told what they were, signs & symptoms, not to be scared, but if we felt overwhelmed to go to another room while the adults helped him and it wasn’t his fault. While clearly a little rattled as a child the first few times, afterwards it became something I just knew what to do andbit helped me as an adult to be calm when I encountered the same out in the world on several occasions.

1 Like

Anyone can have a seizure at any time, a heart attach, stroke, the list is long of what can happen just going for a walk or the mall. You can not shelter kids forever and talking about these things help them understand these medical conditions that can happen and can also help them learn what to do in these situations to get help and to not panic, administer first aid and cpr(at some point). You need to help ypur friend and show your kids how kindness works

2 Likes

I can see where your both coming from. Witnessing a seizure is a traumatic experience and if there’s a chance the kids could end up witnessing something like its better to introduce them to the possibility of it happening in a controlled way rather than them walking down the street and somebody just collapsing in front of them in a seizure its also a good opportunity tp teach them what to do in that situation as well. I hope u and your hubby figure it out and manage to come up with a solution that u both agree on.

Too traumatic for kids so young. They wouldn’t understand. Leave them with dad.

1 Like

Well did you ever consider if you were in his shoes? Would he take care of you in front of your kids? Or vice versa. Maybe he would change his mind about her. Maybe you could look into getting her a service dog. That would be great

I mean, it could be beneficial for them to learn how to help someone who could be having an episode

2 Likes

This makes me sad. My son has epilepsy.

2 Likes

Sounds like he’s afraid. You can teach kids how to care for people who need it. This should be an opportunity to teach them

He is right a traumatizing to a child to see that as well as an adult and there are no warning signs that it is about to happen what if she were to be holding one of your kids and they get hurt

1 Like

You’re both being very reasonable. It’s not an easy thing for adults to witness sometimes. It’s a medical emergency that can end someone’s life and that is something a lot of people live with but it can be deadly. And so I can understand why your husband doesn’t think they should see that. But also, I feel like her health and well being is greater than the POSSIBILITY that they witness her have a seizure, and if she does while in your home, they can be somewhere else in the house, I feel like I understand what he means but she needs it.

I think your husband is being unreasonable. I read something about a 5 year old kindergartener saving his teacher after he collapsed during class from a heart attack. It could be a learning tool and if you teach them could save a life some day. Show them on a doll what the seizure would look like and teach them to get help.

2 Likes