My husband doesn't approve of my haircut...advice?

I had a me day the other day and ended up chopping all og my hair off. My husband immediately had a bad reaction about it and said he did NOT like or appreciate that I did it without his “consent”…is it just me or is he crossing a line here? like it is my hair…

106 Likes

I can understand being upset, sort of. And even not liking it. But you certainly don’t need his “consent.” And as long as you like it, that’s all that matters :heart:

14 Likes

If he doesn’t like it , he doesn’t have to like it . It’s his right. But he definitely crossed a line telling you that you need permission. It’s your body your hair and you have every right to do whatever you want with your hair . And if you like it . That’s all that matters . My husband prefers my hair long . But at the end of the day I chose if and when I want to have it long or short . Medium hair length. Do you he doesn’t own you , he’s not your daddy . You don’t need his permission or approval.

1 Like

I had hair to the bottom of my shoulder blades, I shaved it to a number 5, we had a conversation about it before I did it. He also could see my headaches were getting worse. We went away and it was so good with it being short. I’m growing it back.

My husband doesn’t tell me how to cut my hair and I don’t tell him how to cut his. Hair grows back. If he’s that “upset”, let him pout. Life is too short to be upset over HAIR. My hair has been long and short in the 21 years we’ve been married and he still loves me endlessly. He always tells me to do what makes me happy. If you’re happy, that’s all that matters. You don’t need his “consent”.

Definitely crossing a line. I’ve had my hair in many different lengths and cuts and my husband has never told me not to, unless he felt I would regret it. Otherwise, he’s supportive of whatever I want to do to it, as it’s my hair.

My hair. If you want my hair long you can brush it and wash it for me. That is what my mom told my dad. My mom had hair down to her butt.

Shortly after I started dating my late husband, I cut my hair in a very trendy pixy and when I asked him how he liked it he said “I don’t.” That was okay because it was still my hair to wear as I desired. We were married for 25 years and he never said anything again about my funky haircuts and colors. He knew his opinion was his opinion, but my hair was mine to do with as I wished. You do you…

2 Likes

I shaved all my hair off last August. Mainly to help with my migraines, it worked. I was more upset than my boyfriend was. My exact words to him were “I just don’t want you to not love me because I did this.” He said “your silly, I don’t love you because of your hair. I just love you.” Hair is hair, it grows back in time.

4 Likes

Your body, your choice. He doesn’t have consent over what you do with your own body. I’d he really loves you he wouldn’t care about your haircut, just as long as you’re happy.

3 Likes

My husband prefers my hair long but at the end of the day it’s my hair and he doesn’t try to tell me what to do with it so I chopped it all off …your husband is out of line

8 Likes

I wouldn’t make a big decision like that without mine having an input but that’s just me. My hair is long and I already know he’d freak out lol.

Men are visual he can have his preference… doesn’t mean you should have to ask permission. However personally I do consider my spouse’s preference and take it into consideration. He does the same when he wanted to grow his beard longer than I really cared for…:joy:

5 Likes

Does he ask you when he goes and gets a hair cut? Lol tell him it’s your head and you’ll shave it bald if you want. (Of course don’t do that if you’re in an unsafe relationship)

I’m sorry you have to deal with that. If you love it that is all that matters!!

1 Like

My husband prefers my hair longer, we met and I had short hair. However he’d still never tell me I can’t cut it if I wanted to. Sure I take his preferences into consideration but he wouldn’t have to give me permission.

7 Likes

Lol my fiance tells me regularly he prefers me with long hair as I look like my brothers with my hair short, but at the end of the day if I chop it he ain’t gonna say jack about it he’ll smile and say It looks nice. He’s not a fan of red hair but when I dyed it burgundy he complimented me and went on his merry way with life. Hair grows back. No big deal.

1 Like

I usually let my man know I’m cutting my hair the same day I do it :joy::joy: he loved my long hair, it was between my belly button and breasts. I ended up cutting it up above my shoulders and got my bangs back as they were all the way to my shoulders. He wasn’t much of a fan at first but he grown to love it and he likes it now. He does miss my long hair but he knows it’ll grow back. If your man doesn’t grow to love it then he obviously don’t love you and that just gives you the opportunity to find a man who will

I always have, and will continue to do, what I choose to do. Besides it’s just hair. It will grow. He’s acting like a child.

2 Likes

tell him the same thing I told my husband "my head, my business "

2 Likes

My husband liked my hair long. I did too. One day I was talking about trimming my hair and he looked at me and said I couldn’t cut my hair. Well even though I liked my hair longer, that day I went and cut it short, it’s your body your hair do what you want.

12 Likes

Crossing a line. It’s your hair not his. You have to take care of it not him. Him saying that is part of controlling you. That is not ok.
He can voice her prefers it longer but he shouldn’t be making those comments about “his consent”. He doesn’t own u.

25 Likes

He can not like it all he wants BUT it’s your hair and your decision

I shaved my head completely bald without telling my husband :woman_shrugging: he was shocked, but didn’t care one way or another. I kept it shaved bald off and on for 5 years and just now grew it back out to shoulder length. I can understand telling him in passing but you do not need his consent. Your hair your body your choice period.

28 Likes

I got my hair cut short once and I hated it also but my husband never said anything to me even though I knew he didn’t like it. He needs to back off

You do whatever makes you happy I don’t ask permission to do anything with my hair. As long as I’m happy, everyone else has to deal with it.

23 Likes

Why would you need consent? My boyfriend prefers my long hair, but if I cut it off he won’t say anything about it. It’s not his choice. That sounds controlling to me.

2 Likes

I came home with purple / silver hair and chopped it all off - mgg y hubby didn’t say anything but it looks nice - even if h dosent like it he would next tell me what to do with my hair -

Um, I shave half my head and my husband wouldn’t dare say a thing about it. Throw away the whole man.

1 Like

Oh god I’d be doing soooooo many more things without his “consent” if that comment was made to me. Your body, your choice :ok_hand:t3:

7 Likes

It’s def not his choice and it’s your hair and in no way should a man control what we do with our bodies. He doesn’t have to like it, YOU do. This is a major red flag. It’s hair, it’s not like you made an important life choice without communicating with him. He’s def overreacting.

31 Likes

Honestly I would’ve gotten my husband’s OPINION on it before I did it since it sounds like a dramatic cut…but that’s just me. The word “consent” is ridiculous. He is out of line for using that word…and he made you feel like crap in the process. I’m sorry!! Hugs.

5 Likes

I definitely understand where you’re coming from as a human being. But for some reason a lot of men have a fascination and attraction to women with long hair. And I’m not saying he’s right, but he probably feels like you did something that affects both of you and you should have discussed it beforehand. I’m not sure what advice to give, you can’t really take back a haircut lol. He’s just gonna have to get over it and understand it’s temporary and it grows back. But most importantly it’s YOURS!

1 Like

Ignore him! You don’t need his permission! It’s not like you can get it back

1 Like

I know this for moms tell him he need to make sure it’s alright with you before cutting his hair tell him it goes both ways

You don’t need his consent to cut YOUR hair. As long as YOU like it…thats all that matters

What is this 1940? Lol. Consent. I’m sorry. I mean, I’d say like I’m getting my hair cut and show him what your doing. He can have an opinion, but that’s all.

I used to be a hair stylist many years ago and so many girls and grown women told me they wanted to go with a short haircut but their boyfriend/husband wouldn’t “let” them. It made me so mad but I couldn’t show it…so what I did say is “if he only loves you for your hair, he doesn’t love you very much!”

14 Likes

You mean is he being controlling which is a form of emotional abuse….then yes. Everyone gets a bad haircut in their lifetime, no one deserves to be demeaned bc of it.

2 Likes

Tell him to go get f**ked. You can do what you want. Pisses me off when men think they can tell a woman what to do and what’s worse is women that allow it. You can tell him you’re going to do it but you don’t need his permission.

2 Likes

If he doesn’t like it then he shouldn’t pretend to though🤷‍♀️ but I don’t ask PERMISSION for anything. That’s definitely the wrong language lol

3 Likes

My husband says its just hair, it’ll grow back & the color will fade out also. Maybe your husband is the problem, not the haircut.

21 Likes

You don’t need his consent but I think it’s fair to give warning like hey I’m doing this or hey this happened. It is a huge change and can be shocking. I told my husband just about every other day I was going to cut all my hair off for a good few months and he always said no and then the one day he finally said alright whatever I got up and did it right away. He knows that I’m going to do what I want with my hair anyway but I like to give him time to process a big change which is why I wait for him to say okay because that’s when he’s come to terms and accepted what’s going to happen. If I get tired of waiting for the okay I just do it anyway

My husband will tell me his honest opinion on if he likes it or not, and I appreciate that. Bc I’ve cut all my hair off and he was right it was horrible. I cried after I cut it (and before he even saw it) so I know it was bad. BUT he never says I need to ask him or tell him bc ultimately it’s up to me. When I bring up cutting my hair off he just reminds me of how much I hated it last time, but then he lets me decide.

12 Likes

Dont need his consent but communicating is always good

6 Likes

I would have lost my mind

3 Likes

Gross. If anybody in my life cares more about what I look like than what I like, they don’t belong in my life.

7 Likes

It’s your hair you have to take care of it if he doesn’t like it tell him to get over it. My daughter had this fight with her husband for years she always told him to get the f over it. It’s nothing but a control thing for him.

Tell your husband to go fly his ass!!!

1 Like

You don’t need his consent for anything regarding your body. Smile and move on.

5 Likes

I would be pissed if my husband shaved his beard off and didn’t tell me first. So I can understand that maybe he feels the same way. It could have just been the shock of it all.

8 Likes

Um, Id shave it off then…

Definitely not his call…

like are we talking about a bob or a crew cut? lol not that you need his consent, but if you value his opinion, a conversation probably would of helped… I wouldn’t want to do something so drastic that my husband didn’t find me attractive anymore :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

He pole vaulted over the line. You don’t need his permission to make decisions over your own body.

You do you and what makes you happy. It’s hair, it will grow back.

I mean, it’s ok that he has an opinion and in the past I wanted my so to like it too so when I mentioned a cut he simply said I love your long hair and I only took a couple inches off, with that being said, it IS crossing the line how he reacted and pretty much saying that you needed his permission… it’s your hair and if it made you happy, then that’s a good thing and he should also like the fact that it makes you happy… it would be better to say “honey, if you love it and it makes you happy, then I’m happy with it.” :slightly_smiling_face:

Since when do you need someone else’s consent to do something with your own body lmao.

Does he get your consent when he shaves his face or cuts his hair ?

3 Likes

My husband says he prefers my hair long but it looks good either way. Regardless, it’s my hair. He would never ask me not to cut, MY HAIR!! He is wrong in this situation

you don’t need his consent to cut YOUR hair. could’ve asked what he might think about it but at the end of the day if you still wanted to cut your hair that’s your decision as a grown woman!

When your married major changes is important to speak about

6 Likes

Your hair…wear it how you want

Tell him to suck it up, it’s hair it will grow back.

1 Like

Your hair your decision doesn’t own you definitely has control issues

HIS what??? Giant red flag…and my guess just the tip of the iceberg regarding control.

1 Like

He’s crossing a line. You’re right, it’s your hair. Set that boundary now, you make the choices about your body.

Comments here are not passing the vibe check. Marriage does not equal ownership and you can do what you want with your body.

2 Likes

Yep he done did it…but it’s hair it will grow back…

While I’ll agree that you do not need his “consent” or permission to do it I will say that out of respect for him it would have been nice to discuss it with him at least letting him know it was a possibility that it might happen prior. It would have at least prepared him so that his reaction could have been honest but not so short. My husband knows and tells me often my hair is mine and I can cut or color it as I wish because hair is equal to an accessory it’s there to change, but he also is honest and tells me he loves my hair longer. I respect him enough to at least take into consideration his preference and discuss decisions prior to doing so that he isn’t caught totally off guard.

'What’s yours is mine and what’s mine is yours" goes for the body as well. :woman_shrugging:

31 Likes

My hair style choice is never up for discussion.

Needing his consent is different than him having a preference for long hair over short hair… it’s your hair and it’s not like it’s permanent… it’ll grow out… he’ll either get over it and deal with it or you might have a controlling husband which is an even bigger issue… you do whatever makes you happy😊

You don’t need his consent!!! My husband never asks me about his hair. I ask my husband what he thinks before I get my haircut but I definitely don’t need his permission.

:triangular_flag_on_post::triangular_flag_on_post::triangular_flag_on_post:
Do what makes you happy. Your husband should support your happiness.

He is definitely out of line

3 Likes

Whoa, ladies: her hair, her choice. Her hair doesn’t affect him unless it’s a very high maintenance style. Boundaries.

1 Like

If he likes long hair so much then you tell him to grow his own hair out :roll_eyes:
consent :laughing:

Crossing a big line you do not need his approval to d9 anything especially to your body big no no as l9ng as u love it that is what matters x

I’d shave it bald out of spite but that’s just me

10 Likes

Yes obviously he is crossing a line. He can have an opinion if he wants but it’s never his choice. You do you.

It isn’t his hair and you aren’t his property:
your body, your choice.

“He” can get over it or get out.

One of the reasons he is attracted to you is probably your long hair so it was a major shock to him seeing it all gone. Unfortunately for you he may not look at you the same way now…I always let my husband know when I am cutting off my hair.

22 Likes

Ok listen, I ask my husband’s opinion on everything, but I would laugh if he said “without his consent” like WTF?

2 Likes

What happened is your hair is one of the reasons why he’s attracted to you and so it shocked him and probably upset him a little bit. You most likely look like a whole different person now.

Let’s not forget that there are base reasons we are attracted to people. Same as a beard on a man… our weight, our style. Just because it’s YOUR body doesn’t mean you can gain all the weight you want and expect your husband to think that’s hot because he’s your husband. Simply doesn’t work like that.

The people telling you to get a divorce are ridiculous. Tell your husband your having fun with your hair, it will grow back but also talk to your husband next time when you wanna make a big change so he won’t be so caught off guard.

3 Likes

Tell him suck it up butter cup. It’s your hair and you are allowed to get a haircut without his consent he isn’t your dad he is your husband and is ment to support you on decisions like that whether he was informed before or not at all and whether he likes it or not he should keep his opinion to himself. He sounds like a little boy in a grown mans body, needs to grow up and act like a husband.

1 Like

You only need his consent if you were going to chop off his hair. He can have his opinion but that’s where the line is. Your body is not his body.

It is not his hair and you fino need his consent or permission to do anything.

I would tell him that I’m not a prize to be won or a trophy to be polished or a possession with which to do as he pleases, and if he ever wants head again, he would do well to apologise for ever thinking I was. He doesn’t have to like it, but he has no right to expect you ask consent for a haircut style.

Omg it’s your hair if your happy that’s all that matters he’ll get used to it I bet he does whatever he wants

It was a law in Michigan that wives couldn’t cut their hair without their husbands permission :rofl: it’s not enforced tho

1 Like

Tell him to go fuck himself

1 Like

Consent to cut YOUR hair! You definitely don’t need permission. He can have an opinion sure but doesn’t have the right to tell you what you can or can’t do.

He’s entitled to say he doesn’t like it BUT id’s not his choice

I’m petty, I’d tell my hubs he didn’t have my consent(about anything I don’t like about him). Your husband may have to look at you beautiful head but it is your body your choice. He’ll get use to it.

Idk how to even go about this but I guess I see how he feels when I started going out with my now husband he had a nice beard and when we got married one day I woke up and he had shave his beard and I was really upset and had the same reaction that your husband had with you Cutting your hair.

You don’t need his consent when it comes to your hair
Tell him you love it and he can just suck it up

Shave it. See if he likes that better

As soon as he pulled the word consent I would have shaved my whole damn head. Who tf does he think he is?? Hell no!

men like women have preferences & he’s allowed to feel or think differently than you do about the sudden change… not all change is good… not all change is bad… spend a few days styling it & see if you can figure out your preference…

Lolll it’s not his hair and ur not a child you can do what you want :clap:t3:

If he actually said consent then yes. I ask my husband opinions about my hair and while he gives his opinions he knows that I’m gonna do what I want in the end. Bc it’s my hair. Same with his hair. We ask bc we do care what the other thinks but neither of us would force what we like on the other.

3 Likes