My husband doesn't think we should replace my moms lawnmower or cell phone: Advice?

So my mom watches one of my daughters full time. This is her sole income and we pay her well below market value for child care. She’s always flexible for us with hours and sometimes takes out other daughter if she’s in break. It’s amazing because we trust her and the girls have learned so much from her. At first we were paying her per day but recently I just found it easier to pay a flat rate (this is regardless of if my daughter comes, similar to how daycares go). We don’t have a lawnmower and we asked my mom to use it. While my husband was mowing it stopped working. He asserts he did nothing wrong and it’s just a piece of junk. I offered my mom to fix or replace because it was broken while in our possession. A week later my daughter threw my moms phone in water and broke it. I ordered the same solution to her. My husband is upset because he feels we pay her too much and that should offset for the lawnmower and phone. I disagree as they are two separate things. I want to know what y’all think because it’s really eating me up/making me mad how he’s reacting. Thanks!

462 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. My husband doesn't think we should replace my moms lawnmower or cell phone: Advice?re

You should definitely replace both.

15 Likes

Nah. It broke on your watch (lawnmower) or at the hands of your child (phone). Offering to repair it was the right thing to do.

12 Likes

The decent thing to do us obviously replace the items…

5 Likes

I’d be replacing them.

3 Likes

Personally I agree. I’d feel responsible for replacing both items.

Sounds like your husband needs to replace Moms mower, or fixM it. And replace phone.

1 Like

the right thing to do would be replace them.

Your kid ruined the phone, that means you replace it. The lawnmower broke when yall had it. And on top of this you pay her below market value for childcare. Replace them.

9 Likes

I’d replace both items.

You did the right thing.

1 Like

You should absolutely pay for her mower and phone to be replaced. Also if you’re husband doesn’t appreciate what your mom is doing maybe have him look into what the price of an actual babysitter or child care would cost…

44 Likes

You absolutely did the right thing.

3 Likes

Your husband is a d*ck

19 Likes

of course both shoukd be replaced…

4 Likes

You’re completly right. Your child broke the phone, and the lawnmower broke in your possession. Depending how old the lawn mower was, that could make a difference.

4 Likes

Hubs is wrong. Your daughter broke the phone, definitely replace it. And if the mower broke while y’all had it,it’s best to fix or help replace it as well. It’s just common courtesy

1 Like

Your husband sounds like an ass.

Personally i say fuck him and what he thinks.

I’m with you on this he’s tripping cuz I bet if it was his mom he’d be fixing both items.

5 Likes

Your :100: correct on wanting to replace her phone! Your also correct with the lawnmower, it broke in his possession so why not fix it or buy an old but new one to replace!

Hubby probably just wants to save money.

I would suggest to your husband that by replacing a phone your kiddo damaged and replacing an old lawn mower that broke in your possession is the polite thing to do considering she’s watching your kiddos with out hesitation and at a lower rate. Wouldn’t wanna lose a great baby sitter over not doing what’s common courtesy whether she’s your family or not. Goodluck Mama! 

2 Likes

If you borrow something and it breaks in your possession, you replace it. The phone…. Is her problem if she was babysitting

If he really thinks y’all pay too much, bring him into a daycare for a tour and wait until they tell you the price. Replacing both would be the right thing to do. If it was his mother, he would do the same thing.

8 Likes

Your husband is a @sshole

OK my question is why would you not replace it for your mom? I would do anything and everything for my mom so I don’t understand your situation at all… Do the right thing! :woman_facepalming:

1 Like

Girl find a new man. Ain’t no way. Your man messed the mower up and your daughter messed up the phone. Your mom is nice enough to let you borrow the mower. Your husband sounds like a piece of junk. :woozy_face::laughing:

1 Like

You are correct replace both. They broke in your care or at the hands of your child. It has nothing to do with how much you pay her. It is the right thing to do.

1 Like

I’d replace them, 1 that’s my MOM and 2 THATS YOUR MOM! She’s already watching your kids her grand babies for less that what daycare would charge and is more flexible then a daycare would be…tell him to pull up his big boy pants and be a man!

2 Likes

Your husband is a prick

Your husband is a jerk.

2 Likes

He’s being cheap and ur doing the right thing

2 Likes

Tell him to call some local care centers and ask how much it’d be for them to watch the kids, I’d bet he’d change his tune real quick thinking she’s overpaid.
Ultimately, the mower broke in your(his) possession and he’s only trying to say it’s junk because he doesn’t want to pay for it, and your kid broke her phone. Y’all are responsible for replacing both

3 Likes

I would replace both and then show your husband how expensive childcare is if it wasn’t your mother doing it.

3 Likes

Replace the items. Much peace and love ☆

Your husband is WRONG

2 Likes

Replace them for sure…

2 Likes

Replace the mower and the phone. You are lucky to have your mom babysit. You know she loves her grandchildren and they are safe with her. Help your Mom-/ what the heck is wrong with the selfish husband ? Have you seen how much daycare costs?

5 Likes

replace or fix both is that right thing to do.

1 Like

I think you guys should buy your mom a new lawnmower and cell phone

1 Like

Replace or fix the mower and replace phone. The childcare cost is a completely different matter. And if he feels that way maybe he should look up the cost of actual childcare!

4 Likes

If it broke while you were using it, then you replace it. That’s how things go. Imagine if the shoe was on the other foot.
And show him how much weekly daycare would be. And he should be thankful that strangers aren’t watching your kids. Some people just don’t get it. I’m sorry :disappointed:

4 Likes

If your in possession of it and it breaks you repair it if your daughter threw it in the water and its cooked you replace it…

You are correct, I would offer to fix and replace also. Just because you pay her doesn’t mean you don’t have to fix something “you potentially broke” or something your kids broke. I think your husband is being rude.

You pay her for her “service”. Whether or not it’s a piece of junk, It broke while he was using It. The least he can do is pay someone to come and take a look at It and go from there. As far as the phone, get her a new one.

1 Like

You only have one mother do the right thing

3 Likes

You replace the lawnmower and the phone. Show him the cost of daycare.

2 Likes

No you are correct you should replace them

1 Like

Sounds like hubby a bit selfish and needs a reality check. Plus doesn’t seem to care that his children are in the best of care or that mom doesn’t have to do what she does. Its called love :two_hearts:

8 Likes

You should absolutely replace the phone and if your husband thinks you pay to much have him price daycare and other private care givers I bet he changes his tune. He need to be thankful you have your momma.

3 Likes

Replace both, it’s the only decent thing to do. Your husband is being an unappreciative jerk.

5 Likes

Tell him to look at your local daycare tuition and hope that changes his tune. I’d replace both as well.

5 Likes

He is a prick sorry not sorry, you said yourself your mother helps enough and then some. If it were his mother would he react the same? I say definitely replace lawn mower and phone and he needs to save for his own lawn mower since he is so entitled.

I Agree with you. Your mom is BABYSITTING for you an getting paid well below average wage. You are Very Lucky to have her…Daycare is Very Expensive. I was a nanny for over 25 years. Yes, if he was using her lawnmower and it stop working I think you should at least pay for half of it if not all?? The phone I would replace. She’s your MOM. :heart: I wish I still had my Mom. Good Luck!

2 Likes

Replace your husband

6 Likes

You absolutely replace that. Your husband sounds ridiculous. 

2 Likes

You are correct. They should be replaced.

Your husband sounds like a ding bat. Take care of your Mama.

1 Like

Definitely replace the lawnmower and the phone. You (and your husband!) are getting a great deal with Day Care from your Mom.

Get your mother a new phone and lawnmower!

You absolutely need to replace them. Your husband is wrong.

Explain to him how much of his time and how many extra responsibilities he wi have placed on him when she says she can’t help out anymore. Then ask him how she’ll be able to call 911 in an emergency situation or if he knows what the treatment for ticks are if the kids are playing in tall grass. Let me know what he says!

Pay half at least, if not all. that’s wrong and if it was HIS mama he would have bought all new already.

1 Like

Depends if the lawnmower broke or just died. If you’re husband is found at fault for 8t not working, then yes you need to replace it. As for the phone. Replace it and suggest she keep it out of your daughter’s reach.

Definitely the lawnmower. The phone could go either way, but I think at the very least, I’d probably offer to help replace it too.

So if you borrowed his friend’s lawnmower and it broke or your child threw his friend’s phone in the water, what would you do? It should be no different. If anything, replace it with something better, because it’s your mom.

1 Like

He is out of touch with reality

1 Like

You should replace them

If your using something from someone and it breaks its your job to fix it and second if your child (grandchildren or not) breaks someone else’s phone it’s your job to replace it family or not your husband needs a reminder if it was his mom would he do the same and 2 if he would he’s a piece of crap

3 Likes

I’d replace the phone and fix the mower. They do not go hand in hand as far as childcare. She doesn’t have to help you all out, your husband needs to realize the convenience of having your mother watch your daughter. I hate to say this but that is heartless even if she wasn’t watching your daughter, I’d still replace the phone cause your daughter damaged it and the mower broke under you all’s care.

2 Likes

Grandmas like that are irreplaceable and I can say that being I have no family support at all.
I would do whatever I could to make grandmas life better.

5 Likes

Replace both! Your husband is an ass!

Replace phone, repair mower. Wonder if it was his parents things, would he feel the same way.

5 Likes

Replace both. Your mum is worth it

3 Likes

No both should be replaced. You are blessed to have her watch your children no matter what you pay her. Childcare is not cheap.

5 Likes

Replace both… and your husband needs to replace his attitude… is he aware of daycare costs? Is she not family as well? Just wow! I wld be replacing my husband.

10 Likes

Replace the mower that broke in YOUR possession and replace the phone since YOUR kid ruined it. Those two things are separate from child care. If he throws a fit, look into and show him weekly/monthly childcare expenses

3 Likes

Tell your husband either you replace the items or replace him

5 Likes

Definitely replace both.

2 Likes

I think you are right your husband is being selfish

2 Likes

U clearly were raised right & ur husband wasn’t smh

3 Likes

He sounds awful and entitled.

3 Likes

Your husband doesn’t appreciate all that your mom is doing for your family…not only can you trust her with your children, she loves them and you pay her less than you would an actual baby sitter or day care… you are correct in this is separate from what she does to help you. You should most definitely replace her things.

13 Likes

Let him pay childcare for a month and I bet he changes his tune! You are right & you are the considerate one! He must not understand how hard it is to find affordable, trustworthy childcare

6 Likes

Both should be replaced.

2 Likes

Replace phone. Fix mower… your husband takes her help fir grantid

You should replace your husband while you’re at it. What a horrible mindset he has.

21 Likes

You should pay for both - if the situation was reversed and his friend broke his lawnmower or if his friend broke his phone - they would offer to replace. What is the difference?

1 Like

I would suggest buying her a new lawnmower. As far as the phone goes, does she have insurance on it? I would have her file an insurance claim and offer to pick up the difference with it. I would also talk about her not allowing your child to use the phone anymore.

As far as childcare goes, your husband may gripe about it, but the alternative I promise you is much more expensive and less flexible. I was a nanny for 20 years and paid $18-$20 an hour with overtime after 40. The average daycare is over 250/$300 depending on the child’s age in my area. Childcare is expensive. Be thankful to have grandma being able to watch the child. If he’s worried about money, then you may need to revisit that but really, he’s getting a steal.

You borrow something you return it in same or better condition… if not getting her a new mower it should at least be fixed and if our children break things that belong to others it’s our responsibility to replace or fix that.

1 Like

You should definitely replace them. If he was to have rented a lawnmower (or anything) from someone and it broke it would have to pay for it to be fixed. And if your daughter broke her phone then yes y’all should have it fixed. If your daughter would have broken his phone he would have fixed it right. Sounds like your husband is being a selfish jerk. The items need to be replaced period

You are absolutely right!

Your husband is being selfish.

Yes. You should replace both!!

2 Likes

Replace the husband mower and phone. Problem solved.

2 Likes

You are responsible for the mower and phone. Totally separate from babysitting which he should be grateful she is doing it.

2 Likes

Replace both for your mom or replace the husband he sounds like a nice guy :woman_facepalming:t3:

1 Like

Get it repaired, probably something easy like a spark plug! Replace her phone, your daughter ruined it. Sit your husband down and show him just how much daycare really is! Tell him to quit acting like he is entitled! He really is being ridiculous.

1 Like

Aw I agree with you!! The gift of family child care is priceless!! You would have to pay anyone else and replace anyone else stuff so :woman_shrugging:t4::woman_shrugging:t4:

2 Likes

I’d forsure replace the phone as your child damaged it. If the lawn mower just wore out and died that’s a different situation