My husband got mad our son was playing with dolls: Advice?

I was giving my son a bath tonight, and he always likes to hold one of my daughters dolls. So I give him a doll and he’s laughing and smiling, my husband says he doesn’t feel comfortable with him playing with a doll. I got upset because it’s just a toy, and I’m shocked he would even say anything. He says I’m wrong for letting him play with it, what do you think??

171 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. My husband got mad our son was playing with dolls: Advice? - Mamas Uncut

I see absolutely nothing wrong with it :woman_shrugging:t3:

5 Likes

A toy is a toy and your son will like what he likes. No harm done to him or to anyone else.

1 Like

I see nothing wrong with it either…

1 Like

That’s ridiculous… it’s good for any child to play with a doll. They learn to play make-believe and mimic caregiving etc.

8 Likes

Everyone has different options when it comes to this. I don’t see anything wrong with letting him play with whatever kind of toy he wants.

1 Like

It’s teaching him how to love babies my son plays with all his sisters toys and even asked for a boy Barbie for Christmas last year. Don’t get me wrong he loves to play with his sister but is a Spider-Man freak and loves all things boy! You are not in the wrong he is.

4 Likes

Buy him a Superman/Batman doll.

3 Likes

Seems that his toxic masculinity is showing… what’s he scared of? That his son will grow up and be a good dad??

13 Likes

Your husband needs to be slapped in the face with some common sense and respect. It’s a toy. It doesn’t matter what it is.

4 Likes

Dolls help them learn nurturing skills that can help them in life with other people.
Your husband is being ridiculous

3 Likes

He has a right to his feelings.

7 Likes

Your husband is being ridiculous!

2 Likes

It’s a toy and he’s overreacting

2 Likes

It’s a toy your husband is an insecure homophobe

9 Likes

Get over it hes a kid

Oh that’s just stupid. Of course boys can play with dolls. Hello, they grow up to be dads and uncles. Our 3 year old son got a blue mermaid set at the beach because his sister got the pink set. It was a Mom and kid mermaid. Still plays with them in the tub. My husband made the purchase of said mermaids.

5 Likes

It’s a toy, your husband is uptight.

1 Like

Why does your husband have a problem with this? It’s a kid playing with a toy. If he is having fun then let him have fun. Would he have a problem with your daughter playing with a nerf gun?

1 Like

Your husband plays with your son, right?
Same thing. Pretend play with dolls is just as important for boys as it is for girls. They learn to take care of a little one. They also learn how to act out scenarios as real people through play with dolls. Its completely normal and even very healthy!

6 Likes

My 7 year old son choose a brand new pink and purple bike. Your husband is the one with the hangup. Nothing wrong with a boy playing with a doll.

1 Like

A toy is a toy…who cares. Your husband upset your daughter play with a car?

1 Like

My son had a boy doll from age 2… I have video of him now and show it to him an he loves it. My husband would get very upset and throw outt he dolls when I wasn’t home until we got into a huge disagreement and he had to accept it. It’s just a toy like a car,plane,pot set etc

3 Likes

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your son playing with a doll. I played with dolls but loved my TONKA truck the most. They are just toys adults need to stop reading in to things kids are doing.

Your son is learning to be a good daddy.

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy::joy: Vanessa Southcott

No let him play with it … girls can play with cars too

3 Likes

Men are so f’ing homophobic! Geez

3 Likes

He has very fragile masculinity apparently. There’s nothing wrong with a boy playing with dolls.

4 Likes

Boys don’t grow up to be dads?:face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

Tell him he can get mad when you put little man in a dress. Til then he’s just playing. My little cousin always played w my dolls, he would even take them home w him! He is one of the best fathers I have ever met.

1 Like

Its a complex. Husbands problem, not yours or your babies.

1 Like

Ask him what is he afraid of? His son being a good father ? I never understand why people think girls should only play with dolls and boys play with toy cars,ect?

4 Likes

Your husband needs to grow the fuck up.

Probably thinks he’ll catch g@y :rofl:
A lot of “men” are like this…
My daughters favourite toy is a bloody plastic lobster send help.

1 Like

This is why guys don’t know how to take care of their own kids nor know how to clean or wash the damn dishes cuz of the stereotypes. “Boys do t play with days or play with toy kitchens”

My son had a my buddy doll when he was little. And I played with GI joes. When I was little.

I think it’s because of the gender crap

1 Like

Every expert ever will tell you it’s normal and making a deal out of it may have the opposite affect and make him wanna be a doll lol

I’ve never understood this argument, men raise children also.

Umm your husband is an insecure twit. Who cares if he likes dolls, I mean if he did turn out gay (I’m assuming that’s what your husband is worrying about) then what would he act like? That mindset is concerning. Also it’s a toy. Kids just wanna have fun, let them be kids

6 Likes

That is how you teach him to be a man to take care of his kids and wife. He will be a man that does not beat his family, so let him play all he wants. Tell the husband to go soak his head

1 Like

You are sending a message to your son that tender feelings are okay for a boy. He’ll grow up to be a kind loving man

Theres nothing wrong with that…toys shouldn’t be gendered…they’re freaking toys. Were it a GI Joe would hubby still care? :roll_eyes:
Then again, I let my son paint his nails if he asks, buy him toys even if they’re “girl toys” (kitchen set, unicorn stuff, my little pony, etc) , watch shows “for girls” (gabbys dollhouse, true and the rainbow kingdom, my little pony, etc)…
Not being mean, but he sounds like he might be one of those “you’re gonna make him gay!” Types and if that’s so, that’s very unfortunate :sweat:

1 Like

Tell him “that sounds like something someone :sparkles:GAY​:sparkles: might say”
Bet he shuts up & doesn’t make further statements :rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

This is the laughing joke for me lol right Vanessa Southcott LMAO :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Boys don’t play with dolls

5 Likes

My son had a baby doll. It looks real. He is 6 and still plays with it time to time. I think it’s cute.

They say boys who play with dolls make better Dads

1 Like

Girls use them and pretend to be a Mommy. Why can’t boys pretend to be a Daddy? I think it’s healthy

1 Like

Boys do play with baby’s
Makes into a nice Dad some day.
But today age is in school they are teaching youngest that they might not be comfortable as a girl or boy.
It’s scary out their

1 Like

What is wrong with that really I was a little girl & playing with hot wheels

2 Likes

Playing with dolls not only helps with motor skills and social skills through imagination play, but it also encourages empathy and is good for emotional development. The idea that dolls are for “girls” comes from the idea that only women should grow up to be caregivers. Boys and men should also be taught to be loving and caring as well. They’re important life skills that he may very well use when he’s a Dad one day. Buy your son a doll of his own, and hand your husband some bubble wrap to protect his fragile masculinity.

5 Likes

I think you had children with the wrong person…

2 Likes

Thats how little boys learn to be good daddies. They need practice too.

2 Likes

My 3 year old son loves his “babies” (that’s what he calls all his stuffed animals and little baby dolls). He always tucks them in bed and kisses them. He also is obsessed with trucks, dinosaurs, tractors, and mud. Let kids be kids. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Throw the whole husband away :joy:

2 Likes

I don’t see anything wrong with boys playing with dolls my and make cousins used to with my dolls growing up

Nope let the child choose want he wants

It doesn’t hurt. Our son carried on around.

When my second daughter was about 12 or 13 she wanted a football for her birthday. She loves being a mother and woman

1 Like

If the baby wants to play with a doll let him fuck what the father says

I would get my husband a blow up doll and tell him that he can play with that instead of me until he fixes the insecurity in his masculinity.

24 Likes

Worst case scenario… He becomes a loving/nurturing man.

1 Like

I think your husband needs to move out of the stone age…there’s nothing wrong with kids playing with whatever toys they want…toys are not gender specific.

Boys aren’t supposed to play with girl dolls

6 Likes

Your husband needs to get over himself. It’s a freaking doll.

My cousins had a Ricky doll. It was a boy baby doll and I played with it as a kid.
I’m 53 now. Married 32 almost 33yrs. I have a daughter and 4 grandsons who I am fully capable of taking care of.
Your husband is the one with the issues, not your son.
Little boys grow up to be daddy’s not just fathers.

4 Likes

That’s an insecure male complex. It’s a toy it’s isn’t going to determine his “sexuality”. (Hard eye roll)

6 Likes

Nothing wrong with him playing with a doll that’s how little boys learn to be good daddy’s or good big brothers. I bought my son his own buddy doll when he was 2 so he would leave his sisters dolls alone also bought my grandson a baby doll too. It damaged neither one of them

2 Likes

Do they make boy dolls how old is your son u didn’t say that

I let my son play with dolls as well as footballs a my daughter’s played with the same. They both play games and they both want children.

Is he afraid he might want to be a caring father figure one day? Straight men can want children.

2 Likes

It’s a problem that your husband thinks that way. Go ahead and teach your baby to be a good daddy.

1 Like

It’d be wildly silly to get worked up over the choice of toy a child picks to play with.

Is it dangerous? No. Have fun.

4 Likes

My son would walk around g in his sister’s princess shoes! It’s just a doll. It means nothing but fun and play to him. Your husband can get over it.

1 Like

Perhaps he missed out on playing with dolls when he was a boy that’s sad. I have an adult son and a teenager both played with dolls with their sister when they were little neither play with dolls now haha although they might if their baby sister wanted them to lol Not even a question that needs to be asked really nothing wrong with playing with dolls trucks cars whatever :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

My son had a doll, it was his big sisters old doll. I honestly don’t see where it’s a big deal.

I think your husband is jealous.
Maybe buy him a doll so he doesn’t feel so left out

2 Likes

I bought each one of my 3 sons dolls to play with when I was pregnant with the next, they turned out to be excellent fathers

2 Likes

Listen as long as my son is aching appropriately I’m nor going to care

1 Like

Your husband is wrong, boys can play with dolls and kitchen sets too.

2 Likes

Actually my daughter played with girls toys and boys toys. My 3 boys actually played with babies and dolls being a daddy with our friends daughters and their daughters played with boys toys like guns and army and manhunt. It is called being creative and imagination to action. Nothing wrong with them play with any kind of toys it is better than being on videogames and technology that would fried their heads and not knowing what is out there. Dang men need help and fix their head straight to be open.

1 Like

If the toy doesn’t involve genitals, then the toy is for any gender.

If the toy involves genitals, it’s not for kids.

Your husband uncomfortable with playing with your babies?

5 Likes

He needs to figure out why this triggered him and work on emotional regulation

5 Likes

Tell him not to push his masculinity insecurities off into your son

2 Likes

For me when he plays with any doll/ stuffy they’ll be mimicking what they see in the both of you. If he doesn’t want his son playing with a female doll they have lil baby/kid boy dolls for boys. I would get my son them.

1 Like

My son had a Dora the explorer stuff doll cause that was his favorite show at 3 . It’s not a big deal

3 Likes

God forbid your son grows up to be a loving father or uncle.

3 Likes

Tell him gi joe, superhero figures, toy soldiers are considered dolls to. According to my boyfriend who straight up laughed when I was reading it to him girls play with tools, cars and play on the dirt. Why can’t boys play house and kitchen?

8 Likes

He has serious issues , my baby is two and he loves playing with his sisters Barbie’s the boy doll and girl dolls he just likes to have fun with them ,

4 Likes

Your husband needs to go to Therapy to resolve HIS sexual confusion and identity… projection is just so icky

4 Likes

Boys play will dolls is just as important as a girl playing with a truck. Let them play with whT ever makes them happy

3 Likes

It’s teaching him to take care of babies which is something a good future father will do. Also just taking care of people in general. I think he’s wrong for saying anything

2 Likes

My 6 year old grandson plays with dolls and his sissy. Nothing wrong with it…

3 Likes

Your husband needs to get over his toxic masculinity and let his son be a kid

6 Likes

Sounds like your husband could have used a little doll playing as a kid…boys playing with dolls should be natural too! They do grow up to be Dad’s…also that is an incredibly homomphobic reaction to a toy.

5 Likes

The same men who cry about their sons playing with baby’s or kitchen sets are the same men who don’t know how to emotionally connect to their children or cook a meal. Boys end up fathers showing love, joy, and compassion to a baby doll only grows loving and hands on fathers

10 Likes

He will one day be a dad, teacher, daycare worker, uncle or something like that. Learning to play with dolls “babies” is a good thing for either gender.

9 Likes