My husband got mad our son was playing with dolls: Advice?

My son played with his sisters’ Barbies as passengers in his Tonka trucks.

4 Likes

Your husband is WRONG. Nothing wrong with tour son playing with dolls!

6 Likes

Coming from a teachers viewpoint, both genders should play with dolls as they learn how to be mommies and daddies. This teaches compassion, tenderness, and how to act when they become adults. No where in science or research does it show boys that play dress up or with dolls become gay or other. And the same for girls who play with trucks planes and tools. Maybe they are practicing to become great engineers pilots doctors or just great moms and dads.

7 Likes

Your not at all wrong for letting your child play. My daughter like to plays with cars ect sometimes, me nephews, well when they were younger played with dolls sometimes. They are kids , playing. My eldest is Trans , was born female, didn’t play with dolls or cars . Maeks no difference what they like to play with, they are born the way they are born

1 Like

My middle son is 9 almost 10 and still has his doll

1 Like

I think your husband is feeling insecure in his masculinity if he’s threatened by his son playing with dolls :woozy_face: it’s very telling of a person’s true self

1 Like

Tell him to get over his toxic masculinity. It is a damn toy. If he tries this girl toy boy toy crap tell him it only matters if they are using their genitals to operate it.

Let him play with dolls!!!

Kids model what they see. Your son sees his dad taking care of him and wants to be a dad too. Point that out to your husband. It will help your son be a good, caring, empathetic person as he gets older and that’s a good thing. Playing with all types of toys is good for both genders, all toys are for all kids.

Ask dad if he will be uncomfortable with him playing with a real baby when he grows up and has one. This is practice time!!! How he learns it’s OK to play with babies…and be a good dad!

Tell him it’s no different then when he has gi joes

I think he needs to set his fragile masculinity aside. Your sons gonna be a dad one day. No reason he shouldn’t play with dolls.

2 Likes

Might be the way your husband was raised but there’s nothing wrong with a boy laying with dolls. He’s a kid so let him play.

1 Like

So your husband doesn’t want your son to grow up to be a good father?

1 Like

There are studies that say little boys that play with dolls make better fathers and it has nothing to do with their sexual orientation. Men forget that imagination is the most important thing, boys will be boys…and still play with dolls.

2 Likes

Oh, please. It’s not just Granny who’s off her rocker. Both of my boys wanted, and got dolls to play with. Ask your hubs why a young boy playing with dolls bothers him so much. Might be an interesting conversation!

Reminds me of my sister’s daughter who was upset that she got a doll for her birthday, when what she really wanted was a hammer :two_hearts:

4 Likes

Tell him some men and boys are scared of dolls. It’s ok. But your son is brave and courageous.

6 Likes

Your husband has a serious problem,
He needs to figure out some issues apparently of his own,
Absolutely nothing wrong with a boy playing with a doll omg and for him to make his son think there is well he is just gonna pass his issues on to his son…

2 Likes

Fun fact that doesn’t prove anything really:

My trans child never liked dolls.
Stuffed animals, action figures, but NEVER dolls (neither baby nor Barbie).
They just weren’t her thing…
She’s male to female, if that’s not coming across, lol.

1 Like

It could teach the little guy how to be a caring dad

He’s just a kid, all kids do it. Let him be a kid & play.

1 Like

I tried on my grandmother’s heels as a child because I thought they were neat. I didn’t grow up to wear high heels to work. Kids are curious, let them explore.

I feel like we are telling boys not to be fathers, when we say dolls are for girls :frowning: let him play! Some day he will hold his real baby and not even remember playing with a “doll” toy

It’s called toxic masculinity it’s embedded in boys heads and until I had a son of my own who is 7 now I wouldn’t have noticed it or cared to understand how it effects them in the long run. Until the generational cycle is broken it will keep going on. Boys can play with dolls they play with gi joe
Figurines :joy: they will one day be fathers who have children, pediatricians, gynecologists, OB doctors.

1 Like

How else can boys learn to care for babies? Your husband has some very narrow ideas on what makes a man a man and is afraid that playing with dolls will make him gay.

There are a number of issues going on here and it might be good to talk about them. Very carefully

Boys who play with dolls make better father’s and he’s over reacting. Not letting him is worse in my opinion bc then he’ll thinks he’s bad for doing it or wanting too

Drop the husband he’s a dick

Imagine how amazing of a dad your son will be; obviously better then his father is :joy:

2 Likes

A boys GI Joe is a doll… he’s overreacting in my opinion

I think little boys that play with dolls may grow up to be fathers, uncles, doctors, teachers, camp counselors

I think that these topics should be discussed calmly between the both of you. Take turns expressing what you both think and work towards finding common ground with the best interest of your son. We do that here in my household after going to therapy before having our children, and it’s worked a lot. No fighting, just talking. :+1:t4:

Lol my husband was the same next day he came home from work I put my daughter’s dress on him :joy: ( he was a baby) lol. Didn’t complain again. They learn to have motherly hearts when they are able to explore ,not just forced into who u want, my son also played with a kitchen set his sister’s. There is nothing wrong with this

Ask your husband if he would prefer his son be a nurturing and caring father when he grows up. If the answer is yes, then tell him he needs to let him play with dolls cuz that’s what they learn and practice.

There’s nothing wrong with your son Playing with a doll.
All kids play with all “gender” toys.
He’s being ridiculous.

Trade in the doll for a real man.

3 Likes

It’s called a variety of toys. Did you let your daughters play with toy trucks and cars. Nothing to worry about.

I think he needs to take a step back

Oh no ! God Forbid he becomes… a Loving Father some day… :roll_eyes:
I swear… my son loves playing with dolls so what? You let him play with them.

3 Likes

…gi joe and avenger action figures need a damsel to rescue… oye. My son loves to play with the baby doll i had when i was itty bitty, hes learning how to be a daddy and takes care of her

What’s the worst that’s gong to happen? He’s going to become a good father. FFS, men not allowing it is toxic masculinity.

Your husband is a jerk. Your son could grow up to be a great dad, a great pediatrician or so many other compassionate things that men can be…obviously your husband was deprived of that opportunity.

Absolutely not. My 5 year old daughter has also played with “boys” toys. They’re only toys

My son is 7 my niece is 7 they grew up together my son is all boy i mean all boy lol but when we go to my SIL house my son plays with my nieces Barbie’s Barbie house dolls place house :person_shrugging: when she comes over they play Legos cars guns videos games there is nothing wrong with boys playing with dolls even my husband wouldn’t say no stupid crap like that :joy:

1 Like

Your husband will get over it. It’s a toy. Toys don’t make kids anything but kids. Keep letting him do whatever he wants. You don’t have to have the same feelings or beliefs as your spouse! When your daughter picks up your son’s trucks that’s the same too. It’s a toy! Keep being a good momma!

3 Likes

My son played with one

He is a neanderthal!

We all know what the real fear is here and that’s sad

1 Like

Tell dad you are teaching your son how to be a good nurturing father…because he doesn’t have a good example

3 Likes

Tell your husband to calm down. They are action figures.

1 Like

Your husband sounds very insecure with even his own masculinity. He needs to chill. It’s just a toy. :roll_eyes::woman_facepalming:

I think your husband has a huge issue with his comfort in his masculinity.

2 Likes

Seriously my favorite reminder ever :joy:

6 Likes

Toxic masculinity being portrayed into a young boy. So sad. My ex husband also did this. It’s honestly an uphill battle, but one I’ll fight everyday.

4 Likes

Obviously your husband’s masculinity is too fragile :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

I think your husband is toxic. The end.

7 Likes

Have they stopped making G.I.Joe action figures :man_shrugging: He should at least have options, Right?:man_shrugging:

3 Likes

My 52 year old son and my forever 45 yr old son both had dolls when they were little boys. My oldest had Matty Mattel and my youngest had Biff Beans. We wanted them to have a baby to love. They grow up to be loving, caring husbands and dads and now grandpas. I do not believe there is anything wrong with it.

8 Likes

Theres nothing wrong with him playing with a doll girls play with boys toys all the time.

2 Likes

Toys don’t have genders, your son playing with dolls isn’t going to hurt him or anyone else. Your husband needs to get over himself

4 Likes

Sounds like he needs to sit in a corner and play with a few dolls instead. Loving everyone else’s advice! :raised_hands:t2::heartbeat::100:

2 Likes

Why? Is he afraid he’ll grow up to be a good parent?

8 Likes

From my experience as a father and grandfather, little boys that play with dolls are more empathetic towards others and learn good life skills for later when they have their own children. There is absolutely nothing wrong with male children playing with dolls. my grandson plays with dolls that are his and not his sisters.

17 Likes

Oh yea. Best advice here comes from Dave Berry.

He once said “f*ck your husband’s opinion”

… dolls are dolls. Your kid will be just fine

My 21 year old son is gay & he never played with dolls :woman_shrugging:t4::rofl:

9 Likes

How old is your son?

Wow people still really think this way :woman_facepalming:t3:

2 Likes

You are not wrong. Your husband is. Let that poor boy play with some dolls!

2 Likes

Tell him to give him a bath then. And then he can let him play with what toys he sees fit. Or does he not give baths bc that’s a woman’s job.

5 Likes

I think your husband is an asshole!!!

It helps create empathy there is nothing wrong with it

3 Likes

Let him play with the doll. He may be a co-parent some day.

1 Like

Nothing wrong with it, teaches him to be a loving father

3 Likes

Ask him if he wants his son to be a good dad.

2 Likes

My older boys never played with dolls because we never had any here.Now my youngest is a boy and he has 2 older sisters and they have dolls and he likes to play with them but not for very long then he throws them lol but he gives them a hug and stuff but I try to keep the dolls out of his area.The dolls with hair anyhow. He will probably be a good daddy when he gets big.Not a big deal for him to play with it for 10 mins. Then when he’s busy go put it away. No biggie

My son has played with a baby doll for 5 years now.

2 Likes

Sounds like the guy just wants to get upset about something. Srsly…. Humans interact. Dolls are just a display of that. There is NOTHING wrong with that. Would it be better if the kid picked up a truck and pretend it talked to another truck? :joy: I’m sorry but toys are toys and it sounds like your son is just intelligent and playful. Why shut that down?

Does he not want your son to have kids one day?

Ah fragile masculinity. How refreshing.

3 Likes

What’s the difference if girls play with cars or boys play with dolls?

1 Like

So him learning how to act with babies, or someday becoming a father isn’t ok? Preschool teacher here- your husband isn’t doing your son any favors by restricting what toys he can play with because he’s “uncomfortable” outside the “gender norms”. I know lots of little boys who played with dolls, now they are great fathers, step fathers, uncles, Drs etc. dolls are fantastic learning tools!

I think your husband sucks :woman_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

Throw the whole husband out and get a new one.

3 Likes

He is bxtch made… And is fragile himself. :triangular_flag_on_post:

My 2yo son loves his baby. He went to his nanny’s and got my nieces. We’ve since bought him a baby that’s a boy. He loves on it. Puts it to sleep etc.
he’s simply learning to be a good daddy :blue_heart:

4 Likes

Boys playing with dolls can create nurturing men and great fathers.

3 Likes

They also make boy dolls so tell him to stop worrying. Playing with toys does not decide the sexuality of a person. Nobody thinks anything of it if a girl says with cars

What kind of doll? A baby doll? A barbie? And you said he just holds it you didn’t say play necessarily. Fill in blanks?

Nothing wrong with it if the child is happy let it continue

1 Like

Tell him to grow up. Nothing at all wrong with it. My now 13 year old when he was 4 used to play with my make-up and put it on his face and walk around in my high heels…well.wobble around on the smaller heeled ones, hes now 13 and a regular boy, loves girls, loves boys clothes but also wears a pearl necklace or diamante necklace with his “fit” he calls it. Let the kid be a kid and find their own way. :roll_eyes: sounds like thr dad has his own issues hes projecting into his kid and that’s not ok

1 Like

His being Sa dick head

It doesn’t matter to me what my son likes it doesn’t change him being a boy… He loved my little ponies as a toddler now he still likes unicorns but also loves dragons knights swords bows. If I could get him to like video games less that would be something :joy:

your spouse has some damaging and outdated views of what kids need to develop into awesome people. You are 100 % ok to let a little kid play with a doll. Your husband needs to check himself. Dolls are important for both genders to promote empathy and understanding and caring behaviors. Things you want.

1 Like

Boys that play will dolls will make good fathers one day…both boys and girls benefit from caring for a baby doll

6 Likes

Sounds like he doesn’t know how to be a loving father himself at all if he thinks there’s something wrong with a boy playing with a doll learning things like care and affection

Remind him that its 2022… maybe he forgot.

1 Like

Your husband is off base by being angry. It is just a toy, and it shows that he can have compassion. It is all about a child using their imagination which will serve him well as he gets older instead of being face planted in front of an electronic game.

Call it an action figure and ur husband will be fine I bet lol. The Chucky dolls they have also out. Gi Joe etc

I dont see anything wrong with him laying with dolls. If your husband doesnt agree get your son a gijoe doll. And make it his very own special dol.

Your hubs has issues

1 Like

All kids play with dolls when there young. It’s normal …just like all girls playguns and cars and trucks etc