My husband is controlling, what should I do?

As someone who has had that problem in the past, you need to voice your opinions when it comes to stuff like this. Let him get upset and you wear what you want to wear honey. You have every right too stand up for yourself. Its controlling and to me personally a form of abuse. I will be praying for you!

You are capable of making your own decisions. If you feel comfortable in something and want to wear it, wear it!

Get all the way out.
That’s my only advice. The more you put your foot down, the more you’ll realize he’s likely controlling a lot more than what you wear.

I’m going through a divorce right now and it’s the best most empowering feeling ever to finally realize that I’m FINE just the way I am - without the filter of someone else’s manipulation and control on my life. And yes, my ex recently told me that my clothes disrespect him as a husband- honestly that was one of the last straws.

3 Likes

The heck no my husband would never . I wear what I want . I wear tshirts a lot with short shorts . But still I wear what I want . If a man thinks he got to control the way you dress . That’s his issue not yours . He’s not your daddy . If he wants to try , than tell his ass what to wear . Don’t put up with that kinda disrespect. Ffs

1 Like

My aunt had the same exact problem and she put the most provocative outfit and she took all of the kids out without the husband who stay home angry and alone and she took us somewhere fun that we came home all happy abd she ignored him! Until he tried to pick a fight with her, she packed his bags and told him if he didn’t like the way she dress to get the hell out of the marriage! She wasn’t going to change abd he needed to find someone who wanted to be a blow up doll because she wasn’t it! He just stood there in the living room for a whole lot of time! That day I learned that when you take his shit he will keep on doing more shit to you! Be strong and remember the more you take the worst your life will be! You are a person and he married a human not a blow up doll!

1 Like

It isn’t about what you are wearing. It’s about power over you

1 Like

Ugh ok so several things. First, most abusive relationships start out with control. In all this mess is he calling you names, trying to control other aspects of your life, is he trying to manipulate you, or gaslight you? If so RUN, it will just get worse, abuse starts out gradual and then seemingly escalates. Control is the first red flag :triangular_flag_on_post:. It’s totally fine to voice your opinions and feelings to your partner, ie “it makes me uncomfortable how revealing that top is.” It’s not ok to force your partner to change or wear certain things. 2. To everyone jumping in this comment section with “It’s too late now” or “well now he expects you to just give in because you used to” sit down. It is never too late to decide that you don’t want to be controlled or mistreated. If a woman goes along with being controlled the first 50 times, it does not mean she should or has to go along with it the 51st time, just like if a woman stays the first 50 times she is hit, it does not mean she should or has to stay the 51st time. Third, at the end of the day you have to decide what you are willing to live with/ take. Don’t expect your partner to change. If you are ok changing your clothes or fighting ok, if you aren’t ok, just decide what you can and can’t live with. If you can’t live with it, leave. If you can live with it and there aren’t other red flags for abuse stay :woman_shrugging: do what makes you happy, because life is too short for anything else.

Omg throw him in the trash. I’ve been with my with my husband for 10 years and this man encourages me so much in that department to flaunt it. He knows what’s his, and it makes me feel confident.

3 Likes

Dump His ass. You wasted 8years

2 Likes

My husband NEVER controls what I wear and that’s a huge red flag that yours does. It’s not normal. Leave. It’s the first step to worse.

Just leave. It sounds not that simple, especially if you have kids. But if you have kids, what are you teaching them letting him control you like that?? He’s being ridiculous. Even if you wanted to dress ultra slutty (and let’s be honest, shorts and rompers rn and are a must, it’s fucken hot and those are perfectly normal things to wear, not ultra revealing), it’s your damn choice, not his. Enjoy yourself and your body. Teach children it’s okay to appreciate themselves and wear whatever they feel comfortable in. Don’t put yourself through this. Just don’t. It’s not worth it. People like that don’t tend to change and you shouldn’t have to adhere to a dress code in your relationship.

2 Likes

I’ve been there. I stuck it out and put my foot down too. We had additional issues but him not liking what I do or wear (being embarrassed or possessive depending on the day) was an issue for years. When it came to a head where i told him he didn’t like me and I could just go… It was a huge turnaround. He decided he loved me more than what I wore (and definitely more than being without me) speak your truth. Sometimes, it is fixable and sometimes it’s best to go where you can be yourself. But in no situation is gaslighting okay… So reflect and speak. You’re not crazy to want to wear certain things. That’s a reflection of you and if he doesn’t like that… :woman_shrugging:t2: He needs to decide what’s most important here… loving you for you or stomping down your spirit.

2 Likes

Big red flag and most likely won’t get better

Run for your life!!! It only gets worse

No, not at all. And like other said, not talking to you for days is ridiculously immature. You guys need to come to an agreement perhaps through marital counseling.

Hello… red flags !!! that’s not right girl that’s abuse hes a narsasis . I dealt with that for 8 years I couldn’t even have a fb for example . But now I’m in a relationship that their is trust . Respect . And loyalty the grass is greener on the other side .

My husband reckons my headlights are for the world to see :woman_facepalming:
He’s never told me what to wear, we’ve been together 21 years now

He seems narcissistic and very Manipulating. Girlfriend don’t stay because he will always make you feel like your in athe wrong that’s what a Narcissistis does. They will control you manipulate you and always make you feel bad even though he is the one with the problem. You will always be misable.

2 Likes

Been there and did that for 12 years. For a bunch of other reasons as well i divorced him and havent regretted it for one minute. Freedom is priceless.

1 Like

Not even a little bit. My husband wants me to be comfortable and totally myself. Dress is a part of self reflection

My partner has an opinion on what I wear but he wouldn’t dare try to tell me I’m not wearing it. He will tell me if it looks good or not and I appreciate his honesty but he says as long as I’m comfortable he’s happy

1 Like

Do as ur told like a good wife lol

Mines like that lol …he hates it when i dont wear bra but bruh im flat chested hahahahah … :joy::joy::joy: but hes not that strict with the way i dress even though i became chubbier when we had our 1st child .

Run don’t walk, divorce is cheaper than a therapist and a lot more liberating! Narcissistic behavior will never change for the better, only worse! He has no right to pick your clothes, pretty soon he will have you cut off from all your people.

6 Likes

To answer your question about me: I was raised by strong independent and loving adults. If a man told me how to dress, I’d tell him to get fucked by a chainsaw. Twice.

Anywho, Just so you know, him not speaking to you is a form of abuse. It’s emotional abuse. It’s a manipulation tactic. Tell him if he doesn’t delve inside himself and do some healing within, he will never be satisfied with life. You are a grown woman, not a child. You don’t need help dressing and realise it’s perfectly normal for you to chose your own clothing. If he doesn’t like it, that’s tough. He can pack a sad. Go out and have fun with friends. Just because he has decided to be a sad sap doesn’t mean you have to allow it to affect you, your mood, and your willingness to allow yourself to be a human.

If you do not heed the advice we are all giving you, just know that you did it to yourself by essentially asking for advice online, knowing you weren’t going to ever be open minded.

Good luck.

7 Likes

No Never Run Don’t Walk❤

1 Like

Sound’s like a right scum bag . NEVER EVER Let a man tell you what to do or wear you sound like a nice lady ,get rid of him and find a man that will treat u like his queen :princess: like u deserve x

1 Like

Nah, gross. He has no right. If he’s so worried about how something/someone is dressed buy him a doll to take around with him and run whilst you can.

I promise you there are men out there who will appreciate every inch of your body and not force you to hide away.
Wear whatever makes you feel good.

Be sure if it’s toxic and controlling before I leave also try counseling as u can work through this in Godswill,talk and maybe convince him what comfort is and what makes u feel beautiful

Fuk no… no one tells me what to wear/do or how too live! I’m happy with 2 kids now and stand by my choices. Would rather be alone than live under someone else’s command xx

4 Likes

I hate to be that guy … but run

Ew. Narcissist is what you’re dealing with, today he tells you what to wear, tomorrow he’ll tell you who you can or can’t see. You’re still your own person married or not and nobody has the right to tell you what you can and cannot wear. Find a man who respects you because controlling someone isn’t respect.

I’ve never been told what I can and can’t wear, and been married 19 years

He needs time to adjust to the alfa female. Hopefully it won’t take long. Keep your stance

I would not put up with this you are your own person and should and can wear what u want. I would never let a man control me and my husband never has,I like to set the same example to our daughter too

Uh no girl. That’s crazy.
It’s for you, it isn’t for other men. Make sure he knows it’s for you.

1 Like

You BOTH need to grow up and show one another some RESPECT. Good Lord, you’ve been married for eight years and act like children, you should both be ashamed of yourselves. You have the right to dress as inappropriately as you want and he has the right to ask that you show him a little consideration as to his feelings. The bottom line - you both sound like spoiled brats.

3 Likes

Never I’m my own person. I’m a grown adult. I know right from wrong. If he’s telling you what you can or can’t wear next it will be what you can do and what you can’t do.

2 Likes

Ye definitely not I been there in past an got out I wear what I like

Pah! I’d like to see mine try and tell me what to wear. The only time it is acceptable is if he’s letting you know there’s an issue with your outfit (a hole, it’s a bit see-through etc) but if he says you can’t wear something because it’s revealing too much of your body? Stuff him! I’d deliberately buy something very revealing if it were me

2 Likes

My hubby never tries to tell me or ever told me what I can or can’t wear and I think you should be allowed to be your own boss when it comes to your clothes

1 Like

It’s your life , look for another husband who loves you for who you are not who he wants you to be , you only have one life may as well be happy :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Only time I tell my wife I dont like something is if she’s wearing something you can see thru or her cleavage is to much… You know she does?? NOT A DAMN THING… She pretty much says tough shit, and leaves it on. Lol! That’s how you deal with that…

2 Likes

My ex hubby was like that… same situation. It messed with my head. It was no skirts had to be jeans… 6years on and remarried… I flaunt that shit at kid drop off with my now hubby in tow. I feel great being able to be myself… and my hubby always compliments me, and I’ve got some self confidence now

1 Like

Absolutely not! Girl that is mildly psychotic behavior! It seems to me he has either a superiority complex or is just so damn insecure that u will get attention from someone other then him… that is NOT acceptable and not OK! That is abuse. Period. NOBODY should b allowed to tell u what u can and cant do with YOUR body. On another note he should b proud of u and the way u present urself unless ur dressing like a 5.00 hooker while going to the grocery store this is unacceptable. Period.

3 Likes

Definitely hard situation… You love him but your dealing with a “dad” not “husband”… I am in the same boat… It brings down your mental health when your not dressed being yourself!

But its okay for the guys to look at other girls that will dress the way you like! But he dont want other guys looking at you like that!

1 Like

Don’t have a hot wife if you’re gonna be mad at her for being hot.

3 Likes

Sounds like a narcissist.

3 Likes

Tbh id pack my things and leave

No. Not only do I wear what I want …I do what I want.

My guess is this isn’t the only thing he gets angry about… huge res flags.

1 Like

He liked it before so what changed? He should be proud you can wear the to short to revealing beside him. It’s not like you wear it only when you’re going without him. Ya tell him to piss off with clothes policing.

Get a divorce he’s insane, insecure possessive manipulative and controlling! I speak from 25 years of experience!!! Finally rid of his crazy ass and my life has become better and better, don’t fear him and wait as long as I did, get OUT!!

4 Likes

My children’s father was same way! I couldn’t wear shorts, dresses, flip flops, bathin suits, make up (unless I was around him) etc etc! We where together a little over 7 years! Even if I left it’s was always “who, what, when, where, how” I won’t allowed to do much or he would blow my phone up! Anyways I finally left! Now I’m with a guy that accepts me and my 3 kids! He loves me to death! I can wear whatever I want to wear. I put a bathin suit on for the 1st time in 7 years an I cried because my ex put me down so much, I couldn’t love myself! My new boyfriends tells me everyday how beautiful I am! And how much he loves me! He accepts everything about me! And I can do things without him blowing my phone up questioning every move! It treats me so good and it feels so amazing… but if he hasn’t changed in 8 years you will eventually get tired of it! I couldn’t love myself and even if I still try to wear certain things I feel so ulgy in it because of what my ex did to me…but my new boyfriend reminds me each and everyday how beautiful I am to him! Don’t never let a make control you or make you feel bad about yourself!!! Because I was broken and still am and my boyfriend is doing everything he can to fix what my ex broke…

2 Likes

Nope! I was in a marriage control was one issue but there was a lot more. I tried to stick it out but in the end divorced. The relationship I am in now absolutely not theres the f- ing door use it!

2 Likes

Leave him its narcissistic behaviour, and abusive behaviour.

4 Likes

That’s so toxic, you’re man should tell you if something doesn’t look good on you he shouldn’t tell you not to wear something just because he feels it’s too revealing he needs to be your hype man!

1 Like

Sounds like he is hugely insecure and overly controlling. Some big red flags there.

2 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. My husband is controlling, what should I do? - Mamas Uncut

My ex Husband tried that. Tried telling me what I could and could not wear. How I could and could not fix my hair. It worked long enough for me to get sick of the situation so he switched forms of abuse. He started beating on me which worked long enough for me to start fighting back which caused him to realize he has lost control of me. That caused him to threaten to kill me and my entire family if I left him. I laughed at him and left. Which caused him and several of his girlfriends to try to run me over with vehicles because, after the fact, they said I was dressed like a tramp. My life turned into hell for a couple years because they were stalking me. My current Husband doesnt bother because he knows I would ignore him so he loves everything I wear or dye my hair and doesnt control me. GET RID OF THAT GUY.

Oh dear! I saw this movie before! Run away as far as you can and never look back! I’ve been there and in the end I had my life threatened as by doing what he didn’t want me to do I was “disrespectful” to him. My advice is Run away before things get worse. It will never get better! I’ve waited 8 years for things getting better and it never did… Only worse.

3 Likes

In 33 years of marriage he has never tried to control what I wear. And if he goes days without speaking to me, that’s ok too. I can outlast him. Stand up!

36 Likes

Definitely not wrong for putting your foot down! You should be able to wear what you want. I personally feel like you should leave but that’s ultimately up to you. My fiancé doesn’t try to control what I wear.

7 Likes

Last controlling man I knew was my cousin’s husband. He ended up shooting and killing her mom and shot her 3 times, because she was divorcing him. She lived, he’s in Menard corrections for life. Get out now. He never hit her, by the way.

14 Likes

Personally, I’d flip it around on him and refuse to engage in the argument at all. Let him be mad. Silent treatment for days after? Ha! I Will START this with silent treatment! He can argue with the wall for all I care. :v:

24 Likes

Sounds like he was this way prior to marriage…you can’t marry someone with the idea they’ll change. He’s probably not going to. The only thing you talk about here had to do with how you dress…which should be up to you. Maybe some type of counseling could help if you’d both go. We don’t know how you dress etc…and I’m not saying his actions are ok…so if you cant live in or with the life y’all have it might be time to leave.

9 Likes

Absolutely not! This is the one step in a lifetime of abuse. I’d be willing to bet that if there aren’t other controlling behaviors yet, there will be. Trust someone who’s been there. Good for you for finally putting your foot down! Please get into therapy, if you’re not already. I’m not going to tell you to leave because that’s not my place. But please, please get into therapy.

3 Likes

No I don’t let my husband dictate what I wear.

Usually a person who wants to control their spouse does not limit the control to just one area of life so is he also saying who you can or cannot meet, not letting you have a say in financial matters or for example trying to control your education or working life?

Control is abuse and it can quickly turn to physical abuse, as well. Be safe.

12 Likes

Controlling is never good! M&n demand respect but them do far too much sh&t to make us hard to. It’s the beginning of the end once you say no and fight back but you have to. He’s your husband not father.

My husband of 9 years is my best friend when I want to shop. I love it! He’s like ummm your boobs are huge I like it! But then he’s like umm you gained 10 years. Awesome husbands should be appreciated more lol. But maybe ask to go shopping with him and meet in the middle? If not then I wouldn’t fight for it no more. Move on.

Red flags all over this one. These are narcissistic traits and not even little ones. He wants power and control over you and he’s getting it. I’d be getting out of this relationship as soon as I possibly could because it’s not going to get any better. :pensive:

5 Likes

Yeah if my husband tried that he would hate what I wore the next day. He knows better because if you try to tell me what to do I’m doing the opposite.

5 Likes

If you’re willing to do the work, you CAN get that man to get back in his lane. But you must be FIRM and REFUSE to argue about things that aren’t legitimate arguments. I had to get real big in my britches, and get real fuckin mean for about a year and a half before he figured it out- but he did!

2 Likes

Well, if you are dressing semi sexy its okay, we all like to feel sexy but if you are falling out all over maybe you should tone it down a tad but not too much just enough to keep him happy

5 Likes

Get rid of him before he control u to much or he try’s to hurt u or kills u get rid there is woman’s aid to help with this. I was with my father of my child he was controlling he beat him for wearing summer clothes he beat me so bad that I all most bleed to death

HELL NO…or he OR ANYONE doesn’t OWN ME…IM NOT A CHILD…NO ONE TELLS ME WHAT TO DO …SAY…DRESS.OR TELL WHERE I CAN OR CANT GO …OR ASK PERMISSIONS TO BUY SOMETHING…NO WAY…ONLY PERSON WHO COULD DO THAT WAS MY MOM AND THAT STOPPED WHEN I GOT MARRIED AT 17

Mine has tried this before but I stopped him right when it started and let him know you will not tell me what I can and can’t wear as long as I’m respecting our relationship then I can wear what I want to when and wear he doesn’t say anything to me about that anymore and come Nov we been together 19 yrs so if he’s still trying to control you then I would let him know that if it keeps up I would be leaving enough is enough

You must be getting tired of him. It’s you who can only decide. Make him go with you shopping, point out at clothes on other woman look nice. Tell him how nice you would look . Compare and show samples of what you like. You got this. Do you have children. Another thing to think of.

1 Like

My ex hubby was like it he even got rid of some clothes of mine without knowing. He didn’t want me wearing dresses. Although I could wear shorts. If I picked out anything it looked ugly anything he picked looked amazing. When I left I suddenly looked good in everything I picked :roll_eyes:. I told him now I look good had I picked any of this when we were together you would hate it. I remember I slammed the van door in his face and ignored him. My dad was right beside me. And by looking at these comments the controlling ex hubby is an ex. My bf now doesn’t care what I wear cause he knows that it isn’t going to change anything. I have tested this.

If I ask my husband about something I have on if he doesn’t think it looks good he will say no in a nice way but never tried to tell me what to wear and it is probably a good thing

I would say this is a toxic relationship and you need to do some reevaluating as to whether or not you should consider leaving it before it leads to a physical abusive situation, as you are already being emotionally abused.

This kinda stuff makes my blood BOILLLLL! He should want you to look good, not for attention but bc you should! No you’ve done nothing wrong but allow it all those years

2 Likes

U wear what u want he’s the one with the problem not u he is not ur boss u are not his property he has no right to tell u how to dress and as for not talking to u I’d put em out and say good luck to u to em a person who loves u is not ment to control u

1 Like

That’s definitely not normal. If you haven’t changed the way you dressed before you guys got married, then there shouldn’t be a problem. The fact that he is pissed for days and refuses to talk to you because you won’t give in to his demands is a huge red flag. You have every right to wear what you want regardless of how he feels. Do not let anyone control you. Tell him what he can and cannot wear. See how he likes it.

2 Likes

No ma’. He is in the wrong…do you tell him what he can and cant wear. Sounds like hes real insecure with his self. Maybe tell him you wear what you want cause it makes you happy. He should be ashamed. Grown men dnt act like this

Tell him to grow up!!! That’s what I would tell mine if he did that! He know not to tell me what to wear and I don’t tell him want to wear

1 Like

Nope I don’t let my husband dicktate what I wear. But if I looked too inappropriate for an event or unflattering I’d want him to speak up and he does.

Why does your hubby feel disrespected? Did he grow up like this? Is he worried for your safety? Does he think you’ll get attacked? What’s his issue

Good for you!!! You should be able to wear whatever you want even if you didn’t wear it before. Never ever let someone control you. You be you

Hun u need just plain out leave him nobody controls what I wear if u don’t like how I am then bye I’ve never been the type to like full on show everything off but still even then of some tells me when and what to wear I straight out tell them no even when I was a kid I would fight (nt really u know.how kids are I’m a stubborn brat) and tell her no I love love loveeeed dresses when I was little and if I wasn’t allowed to wear the one I wouldn’t even go like u would have to drag my butt out the house if I didn’t get to wear the outfit I liked even now if I don’t wanna wear it and I’m made to guess what imma b pissed and probably nt even go cause helllllll no it’s body nobody else weather I’m married or nt someone trys the control me it better have a good ass reason cause if nt nopeeee nt happening

First off my husband would never try to control what I wear. He knows it’s his so it doesn’t matter to him. Secondly I’ve been in relationships where they’ve tried. The one was really bad about it. Like if I went somewhere without him he’d be texting me what am I wearing and to send him pictures. I was like dude I’m going to wear whatever I want wherever I want because I’m a grown ass woman so if you can’t handle it you can get tf on. It’s not like I was showing off all the goods either. He didn’t even want me to go to the gym in leggings. I was like ok psychopath :v:.

1 Like

Your not wrong, don’t let no man control you. Nobody was born to be controlled, if he gets mad thats on him

1 Like

Wear what you like & leave him at home if he wants to act like a toddler & pout! -T

1 Like

Nope nope nope.!!! Your an adult not a child and ur def not his child to boss around . Sounds like his own issues I think . Keep being u

I would like for my husband to tell me I “cant” do something…You be able to wear what you want

I have been married 60+ years and my husband has never told me what or what not to wear… he might mention… you ca see your panty line or that doesn’t look good on you but that is all

1 Like

You are an individual. Your own person. Your wedding vows say nothing about agree or disagree on what to wear. You think for yourself

1 Like

My Ex husband was this way. Not while we dated but only after marriage when he considered me his property. I couldnt wear makeup anymore or do my hair or wear nice clothes. I wasnt allowed to work either. I stayed married 7 years before divorcing him and am now married to a great man who never tells me what to wear or not to wear and I can get my hair done etc. Your husband wont change. Get out now. Im telling you my ex turned dangerous and I put him behind bars 20 years due to his extreme jealousy and stalking behaviors. You need to leave as it only gets worse!

Here is A quick little advice I tell my partner. It’s a partnership not an ownership.

1 Like

Run. I did and it was the best decision of my life.

Yuck. Sounds like my ex. Big red flag. Divorce is the only thing I see. People don’t change.

1 Like