My husband is controlling, what should I do?

You have a narcissist on your hands

4 Likes

You need to get out of that. You need to have him permanently not talking to you. He is an abuser plain and simple.

He is a narcissist ! I was married to one just like that ! That is not love ! RUN !!!

1 Like

Yes run. My ex wrote up a contract what i was allowed to wear and was not, included make up and contacts. Wanted me to sign it. I signed it F*** you

4 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. My husband is controlling, what should I do? - Mamas Uncut

That’s not good. Run.

1 Like

Leave that’s not normal at all

Leave him , he acts jealous.

Hell no. I’m a grown ass woman. I need a husband, not a father.

3 Likes

That’s insane! Run sis

1 Like

Insecure and/or guilty

3 Likes

No your not , keep your independence, it’s starts with one thing then it’s your family or your friends , don’t give in

3 Likes

That is not good. I could understand if he feels something is too revealing and he just wants to protect you but that is sounding like he’s super controlling or trying to be. Either see if u guys can seek some couples therapy to see the under lining issue and if that doesn’t work or he doesn’t want to atleast try, might want to leave him or u Guys take break or something .

1 Like

Start packing shits over what he’s wearing. See how he likes it. But I’d just leave.v

4 Likes

I would say he either changes and doesn’t try to control you or but everybody else is say it run

Never question your
Decisions !! Stand Firm !! Your Body !! Your Life !!
He is just Jealious,
He is Affraid another man will see you as Beautiful !! He should be proud of you

4 Likes

Start doing the same to him and see how he likes it…lol
But seriously, no, you’re your own person and no one owns you. He sounds manipulative and like a big man-child. If you allow it, it will continue and eventually he’ll start adding other things/ways to control you. Probably time for a serious conversation with him, if that’s even possible. I’m sure he never admits any wrongdoing, either.

2 Likes

When the day comes that you’re on your death bed, are you going to be ok with wasting time with someone that is so insecure about what you wear? Celebrate yourself and your freedom as an individual and the right one will celebrate you too

3 Likes

First outfits, then friends family and activities allowed. Then beating for not doing it “right”. Time to go hun. Your about to have a real bad time

6 Likes

Leave!!! He’s your husband not your parent!

1 Like

Get the hell out of that relationship

1 Like

This is abusive and is likely to turn violent very quickly.

6 Likes

if the shorts are to “short” or something is to “revealing” and you know it is, then why even wear it. your married. that’s something to wear in private. not in public. to me, that’s very disrespectful to your spouse, and to yourself. but ONLY if it is really short and revealing. everyone has different up bringings, and maybe he grew up in a house hold that was more conservative than what’s considered the new “normal” in today’s society. in all honesty why would you want to have your breasts or butt hanging out of your clothes if your married. i don’t know. that’s just me. but if the clothes truly isn’t “short” “revealing” like your saying then yes, leave that alone. i’ve been with my boyfriend for 6 years, and i surely wouldn’t leave the house in booty shorts or have my breast buldging out my shirt either. just a question to ask yourself.

12 Likes

If he controls what you wear, what else does he control? No one should control what you wear, you dress for yourself, not them. Wear what you want. If he doesn’t like it, oh well

2 Likes

Don’t accept now what you will regret on the future!

You are not wrong. He sounds VERY controlling… that’s extremely toxic and unhealthy.

3 Likes

Unless my man buys me a new dress or shoes he dosent get a say in most my outfits. Except when I ask his opinion. Wear what you want and when hes not speaking to you treat it like a vacation and he unbothered. And when hes done with his hissy fit tell him take a nap granpa

Not okay. Maybe ask if he’d consider counseling

2 Likes

He is a narcissist. Today he controls what you wear. In 5 years he controls who you see. What money you have etc. Speak to a professional and get some help.

3 Likes

The only way to deal with Bully is to take their power away. If he’s such a b*tch you might consider the long term prospects of your relationship

2 Likes

He wouldn’t ever correct my choice of what to wear. He is my husband, not my parent! Yours sounds like a big, spoiled baby.

4 Likes

Leave. Now. Before. It’s. To. Late! If you need to talk to someone who has been through it before just message!:heart:

2 Likes

He is controlling you. Do u tell him what to wear? I bet not.

It depends on how short your shorts and rompers are…if your butt is hanging out or you’re showing too much cleavage, he might not feel comfortable while men ogle his wife…did you notice this behavior before you were married? Little bit late to voice your objections at this point…lol

7 Likes

More to come. Don’t accept

Don’t stay with anyone like that! Plan your exit without him knowing and go to a safe place. Don’t say “he’d never hurt me”!

1 Like

You’re your own person … controlling is narcissitic traits

My EX husband tried to pull that shit on me!!! No cleavage. No cussing!!! No false eyelashes!!!

He had me fucked up!!! We fought all the time bc he could not control me. It was exhausting. I was miserable. That is why he is my EX husband!!!

1 Like

I also just left an 8 year relationship. It was hard. There was a lot to follow. The abuse was unreal. And in time. I am able to be me again. If finding happiness in yourself is only possible outside your relations. Your relations are toxic. And will never amount to anything

1 Like

Are you talking about your father or your husband?? I totally agree with what Dolly Olsen said. I’d almost bet that he does EXACTLY what he wants to do, right??

My husband doesn’t control anything about me.
I would never ever put up with that. I am an adult. Not a child.
If he ever tried that I would leave.
Life is too short for that crap.

There are women who would like that, who would think that means he loves her. Let him find that woman.

You go do / wear ANYTHING YOU WANT.

1 Like

Hell no I wear what I want. Noone controls me. Goodbye there’s the door.

1 Like

No absolutely not…you should be able to wear what u want talk to who u want and go where u want this inappropriate behavior and you need to address it but do so cautiously seek out help if u need to bc I fear that if u all the sudden assert yourself he could hit u

Had a freind who did his wife the same way one day he asked me does your husband say anything about the way you dress I said how do you think I got him! But no it’s not right too controlling and it’ll get worse you be you

You are your own person you wear what U want to wear I would be getting out now if he controlling in what you wear he will end up controling where U go n who you see

I’ve been down that road. Let him sulk and be mad, better yet you are the one who should be angry. It only progresses dear one. Its his insecurities about himself.

1 Like

This is a sign of domestic abuse. Things will get worse. Please call the national domestic violence hotline when he is gone and get some support. 1.800.799.7233

6 Likes

Keep putting your foot down, because if you don’t than it won’t stop with clothes. He’ll start telling where you can go, what time you have to be home, who you can hang out with, etc. STOP IT NOW!!!

1 Like

He’s broken leave him! Lol find a new one

2 Likes

That’s only the beginning. It isn’t gonna change.

1 Like

Is he insecure and jealous? Not cool. You deserve kindness.

I have been married for 25 years. My husband sees nice outfits that may show my curves and he is the one to ask me to wear them out. He says that he is proud to have me as his wife and says that he loves showing me off. Insecurity ruins a lot of what could be a great marriage. My only question is…was he this way before you got married?

4 Likes

We teach people how to treat us. He knows now he can get his way like this.

It would’ve never flown with me from the first time.

“Oh, word? We throwin fits now? :v:t4:
Straight to voicemail and posting pics of me living it up with my girls dressed however TF I want- while he sits and thinks about what he just pulled.

If he really wants you, he’ll eventually be ready to talk. If not, nobody needs that type of unchecked insecurity of another person bringing them down.

But since you’re married, and he already knows he can get his way with these tantrums- I suggest doing what you want anyway and applying the grey rock method. No reaction. At all. He can calm down so you can explain to him that you’re only his regardless of what you’re wearing, or he can have his fit and have the ultimatum of therapy or stay mad.

Just how I personally would address it :woman_shrugging:t2::neutral_face:

Because this is NOT a YOU problem. This is about HIM and his insecurities and they do not belong in an equal, loving, trusting partnership.

3 Likes

Fuck no I don’t let my husband tell me what I can and can’t wear. I am my own human!
You are you’re own person hunny, you rock what you wanna wear. Don’t let him control you, he is your partner not your master.
If he wants to control you then you need to take back the control and leave.

Wow. The amount of responses that are immediately jumping to leave your marriage is shocking. I’d first question how short or revealing we are talking here. Like specific measurements bc everyone’s opinions differ. If you strongly disagree with your spouse I would say talk about it with a close mutual friend, family member or even therapist. Maybe try having a sincere calm conversation and come to an agreement that you both compromise on a d stick with it. We are not hearing from the other side so we can’t jump to conclusions. You are married so you definitely need to be dressing as a married woman. I pray divorce is your very last option.

5 Likes

leave him. he is your partner…not your boss. you are not a bit player in his life. dress however you want. this shouldn’t even be a question.

3 Likes

Ummmm no my husband doesn’t tell me what to wear and he never will. I’m an adult and I can wear whatever i want. That’s not normal or okay for him to control you like that.

Wtf year is this from???

3 Likes

Geez this is how 3 year olds act.

1 Like

Ewwww…throw that weirdo away girl…

My husband tried and we fought. Anytime I bucked about one of his demands, it caused a fight. Anytime I didn’t agree, it caused a fight. Now after 38 years, he passed away.

What you want to wear reflects who you are. If he doesn’t love you for who you are then it’s not love. Seems he’s a narcissist. Kick him to the curb. Life is too short to try to be anyone but yourself.

1 Like

Wow!! No my SO would never tell me what I can or can’t wear (he respects and trusts me)! That is not right at all!!

my husband buys my clothes. But even he buys me shorts and dresses and cute clothes

My husband tried this at the beginning years ago, I put my foot down and told him that this is how he met me and he couldn’t change me. After this he stopped and is no longer that way, 12 years later I wear whatever I want and always will. A man can’t tell you what to and not do. My marriage It’s a partnership not a Dictatorship :speaking_head::speaking_head::speaking_head: you really need to stop this, if you don’t you will just continue to be unhappy and that’s no way of staying on a marriage.

2 Likes

Wear whatever you want, with respect. I mean unless you’re walking the streets naked in inappropriate places it’s your choice how you want to dress. If he doesn’t like it he should find the door in my opinion. Do what makes YOU happy. And comfortable.

1 Like

That is extremely concerning behavior. Yes he can have an opinion on your cloth but ultimately it’s your choice and if he doesn’t like it he needs to get over it and accept that it’s your choice. If im wearing something my husband doesn’t like he will mention it but if I choose not to change he moves on. It’s not brought up again. I also dont change because he has decided its to revealing. Reason I’ll change is he doesnt like how the piece fits me or the color because normally if he thinks I look bad in something so will others. But if it’s revealing, short, or has anything to do with how much skin I’m showing he won’t even mention it. So yeah I would divorce your husband.

1 Like

Mine picks out clothes he thinks I’d look sexy in. He doesn’t control anything about my life. You need to get away from him.

When you get married the both of you should have say in everything 50/50, now. Give him the same respect he gives you, about how he dresses and let him see how it
feels, use reverse psychology on him, And apparently his Dad has shown him how to treat women, If he can’t change and get help I would definitely lay everything out on the table and let him know that I will not be talked down to and I will wear what makes me feel beautiful for myself not to impress anyone, I feel when a Woman dresses to kill for her husband he should be very proud to have her by his side.

He’s broken get a new one :joy:

8 Likes

Guarantee that he will be checking out other women if they wear the clothes you want to wear…. Wear what makes YOU feel beautiful

2 Likes

Never let a man control you… you’re an adult and should wear what you want as long as it’s respectful and not hoochie momma!!! Been there done that divorced him and I’m much happier!!

1 Like

Sweetie, he is gaslighting you. Do not let him control you. That is narcissistic behavior right there. And it will not get better, only worse. I would say it’s time to get out of that marriage.

1 Like

I feel like by you giving in for all those years you allowed him to get use to you doing as he wanted and so now when all of a sudden you put your foot down it probably throws up some questions for him and a lot of confusion. Personally I feel like if you want the issue to get better you both need more communication. Does he understand that all those years you were giving in to not fight and that you really didn’t want to but felt you had to for fear of a fight and does he knows why you’re now saying you won’t listen anymore and does he communicate back? And does he know you may hold grudges now against him over it? And vise Vera on his part. I feel at this point you both should See a professional marriage counselor because they can be the middle person to allow you two to say how you feel without an argument as well with professional advice on how to heal yourselves and tougher. Good luck!

1 Like

Put your foot down, do not give in, let him be as mad as he wants too, let him throw his tantrum, do not apologize. You are his wife not his child. When he is done with his little tantrum you sit him down and you set the rules on how you want things to be and what you will or will not allow or except. He will try again and again oh and he will try to guilt trip you but don’t give in. Never allow him to be physically, verbally or mentally abusive if he does it’s time to run. You owe yourself love first always, before you owe him obedience. But only you can make that choice for yourself good luck

Whatever you want to wear and looks good wear it …it’s called abuse telling you what to wear and controlling

1 Like

Mine would never even think of telling me what to wear. We are 77 and he always tells me I look cute when I get dressed!!

1 Like

This is abusive, and narssistic behavior. I recommend kicking him to the curb if he wont let you chose for yourself.

1 Like

I don’t care if your married or not. I don’t care how short your shorts are…… No man or woman need to degrade their partner and say if you don’t do whatever the hell it is that they want you to do especially down to what you wear on YOUR body is controlling behavior. If your second questioning your thoughts and feeling based on his obsession and hissy fits on what you wear is probably messing with your confidence in your own decision making.

I feel for you …because you DID NOT SET YOUR BOUNDARIES WITH him. no sarcasm cause I have been there…now is when you Crush his view of you and leave…make him pay you back for all the care and years you gave him…9,000 dollars is a great deal rather than a domistic violance charge

No never, my husband has never done this as he knows he would not get away with it.

1 Like

You wear , do, say, whatever you want girlfriend !!! You let NO MAN EVER control you !! You are your own boss, in control of your own life…whatever he doesn’t like, he will either have to put his big boy boxers on & learn to like it or head for the door papa !! Your a person, not an object that he owns !!

1 Like

This is abuse and it will get worse.

Not married but my boyfriend don’t control what I wear also yours should be proud to let you wear what makes you feel good and show off what he has not hide it

Time for a divorce. That is no way to live.

5 Likes

my husband never did

Walk away immediately same thing happened to my younger sister only stopped after he tried killing her twice then took his own life !

2 Likes

You honey are in an abusive relationship. I suggest reaching out to victims advocates near you. .

3 Likes

My husband and I have been together for 11 years and he has never tried to control me because he r.e.s.p.e.c.t.s me.
I like to dress modestly but even if I wanted to show a little cleavage or wear something different he knows full well that I’m my own person so I wear what I want. I don’t try and dictate what he wears.
This whole notion that you have to dress a certain way because you’re married is absolutely ridiculous. It’s freaking clothing people need to get a grip.

The mistake you made is in this sentence " in the beginning of our marriage I would most of the time give in and change my outfit" so now that you have decided to put your foot down, you first should explain to him, what has changed? You ought to have stood your ground in the beginning.

3 Likes

No way! 25 years of marriage.

1 Like

I was in a relationship like that for 10 years finally managed to free myself of him in 2018 and I’m now with a man that loves me regardless of what I wear. I’d never have let a man pick my clothes in a store but dude does a bang up job knows exactly what I like and even gets me things I wouldn’t have thought suited me but when I put it on holy hell I look amazing!!! He never tells me what to wear or how to wear it he’s one of those guys if you ask them to go to shop n get you lady products he will make it his mission to make sure he comes bk with couple choices or he will phone me and ask me exactly what I want. Totally different feeling to my 10 years of emotional and mental abuse. What I have with my current partner scares me sometimes cos I’m not used to it I’m not used to having this kind of relationship where it’s not all one sided and the guy genuinely respects and loves me and pushes me to be my best (he’s my biggest fan he got me into competitive rowing and it’s helped my mental health so much.) Never ever let any man belittle your worth u are a warrior and a goddess do not let any man tell you different, n see if any ma tries to ever control you tell them where they can stick it. The best thing I ever done was to stand up for myself you can do it too ur stronger than you think

2 Likes

I wear what I want when I want and my husband has never told me I couldn’t and if he tried I would tell where to and how to get. Hell I would even draw him a map if needed!
NO ONE and I mean NO ONE has the right to tell you what you can and can’t wear EVER!

2 Likes

That’s a no. It doesn’t matter how you used to do in the beginning of your marriage, this isn’t your fault! Go you for standing up for yourself!

2 Likes

My husband doesn’t control what I wear. But then again I wear baggie t shirts and pj pants most of the time lmao

1 Like

That’s abusive. Personally I would offer him the option to get individual counseling and you both do marriage counseling or spilt up.

6 Likes

Yup controlling… good for you for standing your ground

I think you already know the answer… No one can make u do anything. Ask yourself why u letting him do that to you… Seek help.

2 Likes

Throw the whole man away

1 Like

When we visit my in-laws in Kosovo which is a muslim country I do adjust by not wearing clothes that are too revealing just out of respect for them, but other than that no way!