My husband lied to me about smoking ciggarettes: Advice

OMG don’t take like so serious… U will never get out alive

2 Likes

Sis, you better learn to pick your battles!! This man is grown. If it’s not taking from the mouths of you or your babies, interfering with bills, and it’s outside, let that man be. For real. He doesn’t need another mother.

Now, I’d be upset that he lied. You need to find out why he lied. But then again, if you’re freaking out that bad about just smoking, then lord. I mean, I remember hiding it from my husband once. And that’s part of the reason he is an ex, controlling and an asshole.

Pick your battles. In a marriage you have to compromise on the simple things. Like no smoking in the car when you are in it. And smoking outside on the porch or deck.
I do that.
I really don’t think this is a hill worth dying on.

3 Likes

I see why he lied. I agree with all these people about you over reacting. BUT my question for you is would this have been your same reaction if you weren’t pregnant? If so, you need to grow up

1 Like

I’m sorry hun . I get your upset about him smoking but your more upset he couldn’t be upfront with you. Don’t let anyone say it’s your hormones cause your pregnant. That’s an excuse they always try to use. Your aloud to be upset about this .
But i also hate cigarette smoke. Plus it’s not good for you or the baby .

2 Likes

You didn’t even know till you caught him… a little dramatic no?

8 Likes

Pick your battles, and this ain’t it. You won’t stay married to anyone being like this…

7 Likes

Its a deal breaker for me, too, I have often told my husband I would rather he cheated on me than to still be smoking.

15 Likes

Not saying the lying is cool BUT your reaction is 100% childish and don’t need to be having a kid if you just run back to your mommy if you don’t like something or don’t get your way

7 Likes

How do you know he didn’t quit and recently had a relapse? Smoking is a serious addiction for some people. Very few people can just quit. As a wife and helper, you should be the first to extend him grace and do what you can to help him quit. You’re upset he lied, and that’s not right, but he probably lied because he knows you and predicted how you’re acting now. He doesn’t need the grief. You, of all people, should be the one person he can come to with his problems and not be dressed down. Most smokers smoke while under stress. Go to him and tell him you want to help. If he can’t, or quite frankly doesn’t want to, quit then so be it. He knows you don’t like it and he already doesn’t smoke around you so make it clear, if he doesn’t quit, you want it to stay that way. I’m sure he was a smoker when you got together. Very few people begin smoking as an adult. It wasn’t a deal breaker then, it shouldn’t be now.

7 Likes

I will not be married to a smoker.

7 Likes

He is not smoking in the house or car or near you, yes he could have told you, but maybe he was afraid of your reaction, and by the Sound of thing your reaction was a bit too much. Let him enjoy the small things in life, it’s really not such a big issue. Let him be, it’s no harm to you only your ego. Leaving is a bit to much. Yeah you are pregnant but he did not smoke near you. I’m sorry but honestly I think you need to grow up a bit.

3 Likes

He is a grown ass man. The fact that he has to hide is habits from you speaks volumes about you as a wife. 

1 Like

There’s worse things he could be doing to violate the relationship. Js

4 Likes

Don’t be childish, this is your husband that your suppose to love. If he smokes, have him go outside. No problem. Grow up.

2 Likes

Was he a smoker when you got married?

1 Like

Damn. I understand you’re pregnant and all, but he’s a grown man and if he wants to smoke, then he’s going to smoke. I understand him doing it outside and not in the house. But you need to pick your battles on this one. Leave the man alone, there’s probably good reason why he didn’t tell you.

Get over yourself. Be happy he isn’t cheating

4 Likes

I updated… idk if this is a public group :flushed:

You couldn’t smell it on him? People who smoke usually smell like an ashtray

1 Like

As long as he isn’t around you smoking… leave it alone. I’m sure he’s having a harder time trying to kick this habit than you think.

5 Likes

Omg he is better off

3 Likes

So gross how some people are laughing at this person and telling her she should be thankful it’s not something worse like wtf. This is a issue with the same weight as other deceitful things yet you tell her she should be lucky :face_with_spiral_eyes: while she’s carried his child and this is something they have talked about then she unintentionally found out he was lying possibly the while time, heartbreaking…but she should be glad right?? Tf is wrong w some of you. Just because this is a ‘trival’ thing to be doing its still having your trust actively broken. “Grow up he could be doing alot worse” such dumb advice

23 Likes

Oh jfc, over a cigarette? Lord am I thankful for my relationship. Is it perfect? No. But lately I’ve been seeing people in much worse positions and I truly feel for your husband in this case lol. Most people smoke when stressed. Maybe he did quit? Maybe he had a stressful day at work and telling you would have made it even more stressful? Maybe he was worried about this exact reaction? You should be there for him, and ask him how you can help him de-stress, not the exact opposite where you’re literally going to push him to go get an entire pack of cigarettes. Good luck.

5 Likes

Yes there could be much worse lies, BUT a lie is still lie no matter how you try to justify or sugar coat it! Where’s the trust? The respect? Something so simple this time could be much bigger the next time. I’d be pi$$ed he didn’t have the decency to man up and say something regardless of any judgement. At least it’s out in the open now he probably feels really bad but also relieved

3 Likes

Who cares ! Tell him no smoking around you or the baby !

2 Likes

It him some slack. I quit cold turkey and 14 months later I went through a stressful period at work and headed straight to the store and started smoking again. I would calmly ask him what’s stressing him out that made him fall off the wagon. Let him know you are proud of his time that he had stopped and you are proud of him now but will always be concerned about his health.

2 Likes

Wow. And ur bout to be a mother. U need to grow up.

7 Likes

See I was in the same spot when I was pregnant. I was smoking before I got pregnant but then I ended up disgusted by the smell and hated when he smelled like it. Of course I got upset by him lying about it but in the end it was just something small and dumb and I realized my hormones were just making me emotional over something trivial like I said.
Maybe he did quit and just had a bad day and bummed one off a coworker. I’ve done it when customers and or my boss made me mad. Pick your battles

4 Likes

Was lying about it okay? Absolutely not! Getting so angry you leave to stay with your mother? Dramatic on your end

12 Likes

Smoking is a nasty, expensive habit that hurts your health. I was raised by both parents who smoked in the house and car. Then married a man who smoked 3 packs a day. Not anymore though. Thing is, you can smell cigarette smoke, on your clothes, hair, breath. You didn’t notice any of it? Sit down like a grownup and discuss with him. I think leaving was a little much, better than catching him with another woman!

2 Likes

My ex step mom’s grandpa used to drive into the foothills to smoke where his wife wouldn’t catch him at the ripe age of 78. Lmao. You shouldn’t be trying to change anyone.

3 Likes

Go home if you love your husband and forgive his lying mouth. How could you not smell it on him when he came home from work for a whole year?

7 Likes

He is a full grown adult lmfao if he wants to smoke he can smoke. It’s his life he’s risking, not yours! Hell maybe he just had a hard day at work or your pregnancy hormones drive him to light one up. Stop controlling that man and leaving him whenever he doesn’t do what YOU want him to do.

17 Likes

Makes you wonder what else he is lying about

1 Like

You don’t own him and it’s unfair for you to try to force him to quit for your own sake. Your reaction to finding him smoking is probably why he hid it, not that it’s right that he lied about it either though

8 Likes

A lie is a lie. Broken trust is broken trust. If he can lie about something so small as smoking, what else is he lying about?

3 Likes

If you didn’t smell it on him before than it’s clearly not gonna bother you at home. Get over it. If that’s all it takes for you to leave I’d be smoking too.

6 Likes

Same thing with mine,and he was keeping other secrets too…a lie is still a lie and that’s distrustful . Run.

1 Like

Stop trying to control other adults and don’t date addicts if that’s what you’re going to focus on

2 Likes

And you haven’t been able to smell it on him? Pick your battles carefully…at least he’s not smoking them at home.

1 Like

Everyone is missing the point… he LIED to you about it! My ex-husband did the same exact thing and let me tell you, that was the 1st thing that led to bigger and bigger and bigger things until we eventually split up because of the shit he thought was ‘okay’ to do. BE MAD.

Simmer down its the hormones…

1 Like

People people it’s the fact that he lied

5 Likes

Maybe you could suggest Vaping instead? Please don’t leave your marriage or husband over a cigarette hun. There is much worst I promise!! He maybe stressed and didn’t want to tell you so smoking a cig was his out. Go back home, suggest an alternative and make a mends with your husband!
Best wishes!!

1 Like

OMG He is Cheating On You he is having an affair with tobacco . Your Lucky it isn’t another woman…

My ?..for the past year, how the hell did you not smell it on him??? And besides that….did he smoke when u got together? Why change him!!!

6 Likes

You couldn’t smell it all that time? If he’s not doing it around you who cares…not hurting you or baby if it isn’t even in your presence…let the man be, you give women a bad name

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s right that he hid it from you and lied but I also don’t think it’s fair of you to expect him to quit for you. If he’s gonna quit it has to be for him or it’s never gonna work. Most id do is ask him not to do it around you if you’re pregnant.

6 Likes

He lied to protect ur feelings. I’m don’t think u should put him in that position .

6 Likes

Not trying to be mean but get over it. Not like he’s banging someone else and lying about it.

8 Likes

Seriously you left your husband cause he smokes. :laughing: He’s working, taking care of his family I would assume cause you didn’t complain about that in the post. So in order to handle the stress of everyday life and you complain about that. I mean I could understand you not wanting him to smoke in the house. Compromise with him, and if your so worried about his health get a life insurance policy. But don’t tell a grown man he can’t do something to be with you. In my opinion.

9 Likes

:woman_facepalming: I thought I had issues

2 Likes

It’s his body he can smoke if he wants to yes he shouldn’t have lied but obviously it didn’t effect you because you had no idea he’s being doing it this whole time :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

I’m confused are you his wife or his mother

9 Likes

Wow… Lighten up Mumma to be… He probably doesnt like the way you fart but you dont see him packing bags and running back to mummys house… Geezus​:woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming:… Seriously though, there are much worse matters to hide aside from a grown man enjoying a ciggy during a break at work… Think you gotta cut the poor man some slack and give him a break…

12 Likes

If he smoked when you got together, really?
That said, you left instead of talking to him? Maybe he does smoke once in a while? Maybe it’s not everyday? I’m stuck with you leaving instead of asking and TALKING to him. :woman_facepalming:
You are married. Are you an adult? You don’t run when you’re ticked. You grow up and talk to him.

7 Likes

I mean yes he should have just told you the truth and not lied to you, but at the end of the day he has the right to do what he wants. Just ask him to just keep his smoking outside since you are pregnant.

1 Like

Should he of lied? No. You’re valid for being angry that he lied. But to leave and go stay with your mother, is incredibly dramatic.
As long as he is not smoking at home, and around the child once it’s born, I think you can come to some type of compromise.

11 Likes

Someone won’t quit smoking cigarettes until they are actually ready (I know from experience) I quit about 12 years ago. But also he has no business lying, sneaking and hiding anything from you either. You both need to talk it out. If he still wants to smoke and you don’t want him to then I see no harm in him doing it at work if he’s not sneaking and hiding it. Obviously covering the smell is helpful for everyone. Go home. Love your husband. Give him grace.

4 Likes

Lord have mercy on your poor husband…cringe to think how you going to react when there is a really serious incident…which will happen sooner or later…
Good luck to your husband

5 Likes

Obviously he smoked when you got with him so why is it a issue

3 Likes

Gross. The smoking and the lying.

3 Likes

Smoking is a tough habit to give up. One of the hardest. I’ve heard of people giving up hard drugs, but still smoking cigarettes. Tell him to smoke outside and leave him alone.

3 Likes

Smh :woman_facepalming:t3:… He’s not doing it at home and if it calms his nerves then let him.

2 Likes

Dear y’all she’s pregnant and it’s okay for her to get away if need be.

2 Likes

Yea lying about that is bad. But obviously he did a good enough job at hiding it that even your pregnant nose couldn’t smell it. Sooooo what exactly is the problem? You should really reevaluate your decision to get this mad about something when y’all are fixing to bring life into this world. Is it REALLY worth all this drama and added stress?

13 Likes

What a jerk. Lying about smoking to your spouse is stupid.
How do you stand the bad breath.

2 Likes

Omg get a freakin grip. :roll_eyes: runnin to your mamas house cuz you caught your husband smoking a cigarette. :roll_eyes: he’s probably stressed and just didn’t wanna hear your bullsh!t about him smoking so that’s why he hid it. If your spouse feels the need to hide something from you then you aren’t approachable or very understanding. I mean he’s an adult. He’s got freedom to smoke if he wants. He shouldn’t have lied, no… but Jesus girl… go home and talk TO your husband instead of talking to everybody else ABOUT your husband.

13 Likes

You’re probably why he smokes

16 Likes

:woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming:I’ve been smoke free for 6 years and you make me want a cigarette just knowing your leaving him over a cigarette :woman_shrugging:

7 Likes

It wouldn’t be the smoking I would be so upset about it would be the lying. If he lies about that what else will he lie about. A liar can’t be trusted. And for those who think smoking is the hardest habit to give up it isn’t its eating because you don’t need to smoke or drink or do drugs or gamble but you do need to eat to live. So someone who is overweight because they use food as their comfort zone so I’d have to say dieting is the hardest thing a person has to do because you do need to eat to live.

1 Like

Let him have some enjoyment, just tell him to brush his teeth before he gives you a kiss. At least he’s not out doing drugs or cheating

1 Like

Could be worse could be drinking, cheating, drugs or beating you
It’s bad he lied but at least he’s not smoking around you

1 Like

So nobody wants to admit that becoming a father is stressful too huh? That 90% of smokers go back to smoking because of stress?
And when I was pregnant I had a bloodhound nose… she only SAW him smoking & never SMELLED it? Then he’s not really “back to smoking” otherwise he’d reek of it no matter what cover up he used.
Becoming a parent is hard on us women… it is…. But nobody ever points out the worry and stress of the fathers.
And maybe he was thinking he’s only smoking a couple a day, it’s going to upset his wife potentially harming his baby….

8 Likes

So obviously he shouldn’t have lied… but still. You went to your mother’s house when its literally not around you? Chances are he either never quit or has been smoking for months. It was never around you and you didn’t even know… yet you went to your mothers instead of staying and working it out? Bit dramatic

2 Likes

I think the bigger issue is he lied about it. I don’t like cigs either but my husband smokes and if he lied about something so trivial when he didn’t have to I’d be sore too.

2 Likes

What you have to understand is that smoking is not a habit it’s a drug addiction. Nicotine has been proven more addictive than heroine. Plus stress and aggravation doesn’t help with being able to quit. What he needs is help not abandonment. It’s a hard drug to quit

2 Likes

If you can leave over that then Gee your life sucks hay…

3 Likes

You are lucky - he could be addicted to heroin!!!

6 Likes

Over reacting pregnant or not pregnant U new he was a smoker before U married him so U need to get over it ciggy smoke coz Ur pregnant makes U feel yuck I get tht but he’s not smoking at home or around U Nd Obviously U wouldn’t no he still is I u didn’t go to his work so get over it

2 Likes

You are pregnant yes so ure hormones are out of whack but that doesn’t mean you can act however u want without repercussions…be happy if u decide to go home and he is still there smh get your emotions under control your his gf / wife not his mom he is a grown ass man treat him like one… obviously he is working for his family and trying to make u happy be grateful for what you have

But you aren’t around the smoke. I get you’re upset that he lied to you, but lying about a lunch time cigarette is hardly an affair. Huge overreaction.

5 Likes

I definitely see where you’re coming from because he did lie and I also can’t stand cigarettes :nauseated_face: but I think leaving all together is a little bit dramatic. You guys need to have a serious talk and figure out why he felt the need to lie to you.

2 Likes

Hardly grounds for divorce. Stick by him and help him give up.

3 Likes

Picking a fight over nothing…

3 Likes

He didn’t cheat, steal or kill someone. Yes he lied which sucks BUT he’s obviously ashamed of himself and maybe just too disappointed in himself to tell you and cigarettes are an actual addiction… You know how many smokers go back to smoking before they quit “for good?” At least 30 times!! It’s not easy to give up- which is why it’s called an addiction. Stress, anxiety, etc can also stop people from quitting…

Also he didn’t smoke around you and you don’t even smell it on him when he’s home so he must not be smoking often. You can’t hide from smelling like a cigarette… Don’t be so hard on him. Be his support system, be his peace, give him some encouragement and love…

6 Likes

Kind of an overreaction don’t you think? I mean sit down and have an adult conversation don’t just run to your moms.

12 Likes

You have the right to be upset, but I feel like you overreacted just a little. He was wrong for lying, but he must of smoked when you met him? Sorry you’re upset. I hope things get better. Talk it out.

4 Likes

Ok, so for a full year, you had no idea he was smoking still, I call bullshit, because first of all, if your a non smoker, you would smell smoke on his clothes, or does he stop at the laundromat every night before coming home, and wash his clothes, have you not sat close to him and talked to him in a full year, I mean after all he is your husband, you must or I would think sleep in same bed as him, because after all you said your pregnant, and not once in a full year you haven’t smelled anything resembling cigarette smoke? I find this really hard to comprehend, almost seems your looking for a different reason to leave your husband, and besides that, if he’s not smoking around you, at least he respects you enough not to smoke and give a second hand smoke that everyone is so bloody scared of, yes I get it, he may have lied about smoking, maybe he just lit his first smoke today, maybe there is some added stress in his life right now, and a cigarette ease’s that stress, but you choose to run to Mommy and not talk with your husband and find out what’s causing him to smoke, what a way to jump to a ridiculous conclusion, rather than discuss what the issue is, with the Man who is hopefully the father of the child you say you are carrying, what ever happened to through good or bad, till death do us part, now it’s just screw it, I’m out of here :blush:

1 Like

Yeah ok he’s done the wrong thing by lying but I don’t think its worth leaving him for. At least he’s not doing it at home or around you, that should count for something.

He didn’t cheat or killed someone :joy::joy: or whatevr else people said. the bar shouldn’t be set that low for guys. However, driving to your moms and staying there instead of communicating or giving him grace and finding out why he cheated- idk about that. I don’t vape anymore really but since having my baby 14 months ago- I’ve smoked twice. Both from stress. Give your guy some grace. Especially if it was something hard to quit.

5 Likes

Omg he committed the worst crime ever. He should be thrown under the jail (sarcasm) geez op needs to grow up.

5 Likes

Wow, you never smelled it on his breath and clothing in one year. I say bs.

8 Likes

Girl it’s not like the man is snorting coke or shooting up heroine. You’re lucky all he is doing is smoking a cigarette instead of messing with other girls. Take a seat babe.

2 Likes

Hahahahahaha, you moved out because you SAW him smoking a cigarette? Obviously you couldn’t smell the smoke on him before? What a poor excuse! You should be glad that is all he does - you sound like a spoiled brat.

4 Likes

That is so immature. Your husband is not a child and can make his own choices. He obviously works, and cares how you feel as he’s not doing it in your presence. He’s not causing you any harm and obviously smoked when you first met, and yet you still fell in love with him. Really?

3 Likes

Looks like you’re looking for a reason to leave Your Man we all have crutches and we all have things we hide , something in your life you are hiding also . You better just go on home and get over it.

4 Likes

Listen bottom line. He lied to you about something important to you. You have every right to be upset. A freaking year?! That’s so disrespectful. (I mean he lied about something so little why would he tell you the truth about something big) I get why you are upset. I do feel leaving is not the answer. Communicate. Quitting is so freaking hard. He needs support. Maybe a compromise. Work with him hun.

10 Likes

Omg …grow up…he working, not smoking around u, not cheating so get over it …I can think of worse lies…it’s a cigarette smh

2 Likes