My husband makes our 9 and 13 year old do yard work: Is that okay?

Hard work isn’t going to hurt them. Just be careful

So I must be the mean Momma because my kid’s are not aloud to be on any devices tell all there choices are done. My 14year old and 12year old have been doing yard work since they were 6 and 8 along with other daily chores like there own laundry, dishes, vacuuming, sweeping and moping exc… Heck my 5year old Twins even help in the yard and have been for the last year or two. Along with there own little daily choices like pickings up there toy’s making there beds and setting the table. A little hard work will never hurt anyone. It’s what help’s build character and self worth. Nothing in this world is handed to you. You must work hard for what you want! It’s better taught early in life then it becomes second nature. I know mean Mamma but I have amazing kids

Your husband is a WISE Dad. I was mowing and weeding at the age of 7. It was a neighbors yard…Your children are pitching in as a family shood… Be PROUD of them, as well as your husband…

We grew up on 10 acres of land. We did the riding mower. Weed eating and push mowing at those ages. We even worked in the fields at a earlier age then this. Nothing wrong with teaching them

My son had a job starting at 12 years old, mowing and weed eating a small cemetery. He was able to save enough money through odd jobs to put a down payment on a home (he’s now 20.)

I think it is awesome! They are learning something they need to know and it builds independence.

1 Like

Past old enough.
Good job dad.

People like you are what’s wrong with the world! Snowflakes raising Snowflakes. SMDH…

If they can operate an iPad and phones, they can do yard work. Not just open the hand and ask for anything. :raised_hand:t3::face_with_raised_eyebrow: there’s nothing wrong with them doing yard work. Don’t take authority away from him.

3 Likes

You are definitely overreacting, nothing is wrong with teaching them especially at their age

1 Like

There is nothing wrong whatsoever with them doing yard work. I was mowing our lawn in Wisconsin when I was 10 or 11. Shoveled snow on our driveway and the neighbors, too. Kids today have no responsibilities and don’t know what it is to work and help around the house.

3 Likes

It’s good that they’re learning responsibility already… to many kids lack that now a days… our kids do yard work and inside chores, so when the day comes for them to be on their own, they’re not dumbfounded abt everything

2 Likes

Kids feel a sense of accomplishment when they are entrusted with tasks like this as well. Even though they may prefer to sit on their phones while someone else does the dirty work, being entrusted to accomplish big tasks, and then actually completing said task, not only creates competent, independent individuals, but it also builds self-esteem (whereas social media often does the opposite). They will also feel like they helped to contribute to important household tasks while you are so busy and dad physically can’t do it. This is a good thing!

Yes you are over reacting. My 7 and 4 year olds help feed our horses and muck stalls and paddocks. We live in florida so its always hot. Its never too young to learn responsibilty. Life wont coddle your kids teach them to be hard working independent humans that have something to offer this world.

2 Likes

Eso está vien q ayuden en casa :house: y mas si tu esposo nesesita de ellos. Mira eso a tus hijos en el futuro les ba ayudar mucho xq ellos ya ban a saber cómo defenderse de la vida y salir adelante ya q en casa se les enseñó lo q es trabajo y ellos van a estar preparados para eso​:+1:

1 Like

Chores are good for kids I think it’s more than alright.

I think they are just fine. I don’t see an issue kids should help around the house. It shows them stuff doesn’t come for free. My kids are 4 and 8 and help around the house.

1 Like

Over reacting. This is amazing. My dad had us outside everyweekend cleaning the garage and doing yard work. And he’s teaching them work ethics and tablets and phones all day is bad for them. They need to be active. And if your daughters are smart and loving I don’t think you have to worry they should know how to do these things.

2 Likes

That’s horrible. I’m sorry but it’s too dangerous for a9v year old. Hire someone.

3 Likes

Ya your definitely over reacting. It’s definitely time for them to be helping around the house. I was moving and weeding way before that age

2 Likes

At that age, I was running a lawn care side business. Jeez, kids these days are coddled.

2 Likes

Definitely over reacting. This is how you teach your kids to be good adults. Unlike half the other kids who just sit on a iPad or phone all day. Your husband is doing GOOD parenting.

A lot of children these days are not taught how to be responsible when they’re younger. They have everything handed to them. I grew up on a farm so we all had chores to do when we were young. I think it builds great character to give them chores to do when they’re younger.

2 Likes

I’ve been cooking doing laundry, and other household jobs since I was 7 and its OK it instills responsibilities in children, as well as a work ethic, and teaches them that they can do anything and how to care for themselves

Nothing wrong. I used to mow/edge the yard and clean the pool when I was around that age. My mom would have us help with pulling weeds/ trimming bushes (mostly pick up after her but still). Hard work is good for them

My kids do yard work with us, their own laundry, and their chores. Nothing wrong with teaching them to be independent and responsible.

1 Like

Your kids will be FINE. Please stop babying them. This is how you get strong, capable women.

As long as they are taught how to use it, and are supervised… I think it should be ok…

2 Likes

My sister and I dug a basement when we were 7 and 9, help lay new carpet,enclose two porches,build a den,and do roofing with our Dad.You know what I have ? A good work ethic…As long as the weed eater isn’t too heavy for the 13 yr old it shouldn’t be too hard.And push mowing the yard is it flat ? Impress it upon the child not to stick their hand under the mower and don’t cut grass barefoot…They ought to be fine.

2 Likes

Yep I had 4 yards in town to mow by the time I was 11. Good for them.

1 Like

Hes in a wheel chair & he weed eats sometimes?! Then yes your kids can help :rofl:

2 Likes

My kids do chores too. My 12 year old mow’s and my 9 year old pulls weeds and picks up dog poo along with other stuff

13 and 9? Why did you start so late

7 Likes

I was mowing when I was 5. No shit. It won’t kill them, it will make them better.

1 Like

If my kids were not severely allergic to grass they would be out there doing it, but sadly they are like me, and just being around freshly cut grass is very bad news. When I was about 8 or so thats when we started doing g it, that how I found out I was allergic. . Its good for them… my 2 kids do other chores…

Perfectly normal for kids and teens to do yard work. They need to help out around the house.

Due to circumstances beyond your control I think both can share in the less dangerous task. The weed eater is too dangerous in my opinion.

This is great, you are not overreacting! Think positive, they spend time outside with dad, gets them moving instead of being on their phones/tablets. It teaches them to be responsible and help at home.

1 Like

Its not over reacting you are a mother and it is natural instinct to want to protect them! Making children do chores is not a bad thing in my opinion it is a good life lesson.

To young wtf my kids are 13 almost 12 and 9 and they do inside and outside chores. They gotta learn young so they ain’t lazy as adults

4 Likes

Nah it’s good to teach them to help and it’s learning for when they get older…if you want to reward them pay them a little bit of cash and let them have a feeling of accomplishment

My kids have the same chore, as well as one is in charge of dishes, another is in charge of washing laundry. As well as they’re responsible for keeping their room clean. They also have pets that they wanted and bought, so they have to clean up after them… I help fold clothes, and put dishes away. My 6yr old is responsible for his room, feeding the cats, and then all 3 share a bathroom so they rotate who cleans it. I honestly believe teaching them now prepares them for when they’re adults on their own. They’ll have confidence entering into the adult world knowing, and having the ability to do whatever responsibilities they come across. They’re going to be prepared.

1 Like

You are absolutely over reacting, it’s thinking like this that creates incapable and lazy adults. Props to your husband, please allow him to teach your kids some work ethic.

What an amazing dad. Leave him alone and let him teach your girls responsibility. They’re learning a lot from this experience and they’ll use this for the test of their lives. Again, sounds like an amazing dad. You should be proud of all three.

Absolutely ok! Yard work was my job growing up. The only reason I didn’t mow the lawn was because it was tricky and my dad didn’t want me playing with it. It felt good to look at the yard and see how nice it looked when I was done!

1 Like

You are definitely overreacting.

2 Likes

Its definitely good for them to learn to help out. Your 13 year old can move out in 5 short years. Teaching them life skills before they are on their own can help makes them successful adults. It’s our job as parents to prepare them to be on their own.

1 Like

I grew up on farms… learning how to properly use heavy machinery from a young age… maybe 5-6… old enough to play, old enough to hay. It taught me a lot… and it shaped my character into a hard working person. I don’t think anything is wrong with it… I think it’s going to be beneficial growing up knowing those life skills. As long as they’re doing it safely and taught properly, let them help.

1 Like

Hispanic here….we learn from a very young age that you’re never to young lol. I was mowing the lawn, doing laundry and in the kitchen. I was an only child so there was no chore assigned, I did them all. In the long run it helps the girls out.

My kids do yard work 9 and 12 definitely not to young

1 Like

That will Not hurt them.

All of my kids mowed and weedeated at a young age. Hell I did when I was a kid… as long as they know the dangers and are supervised. Congratulations for dad for getting the kids to help around the yard and learn responsibilities.

1 Like

Calm down Momma their are learning, A very valuable lesson in life. Your Husband is right on the money.

I think your husband is an ass for taking away their phone and tablet away
They can do chores, but you as a family should discuss IT. What chores and how many hours
If you dont want your kids to do IT, hè should respect you.

This is a good thing, just make sure the kids stay hydrated while they’re working outside in the heat. Good for dad, I think he’s doing them a favor by teaching them about responsibilities, work and putting down those damn electronics for awhile. They’ll survive. I didn’t have any electronics growing up put I sure as hell had chores and lots of’em.

1 Like

I was working on cars, fencing and roofing by the time I was 12

1 Like

My son will be 12 next week, when he was 5-6 he would take our extra push mower and start mowing behind me. I always took the easier to start mower so he couldn’t take the other one, but he would pull and pull till he got it. So I just let him help. And he LOVES to weedeat! It definitely doesn’t hurt them. As long as he is supervising them, since they are just learning, I do not see the harm. Plus it helps you out as well!

1 Like

Hire a person to do it

1 Like

I was mowing the grass when I was 12

I just taught my 11 year old how to use a lawn mower this past weekend. But no to the weed eating.

As long as they are supervised while doing it, I think it’s fair they learn to help out as well. Teaches them responsibility.

As long as her legs are protected(wearing jeans), close toed shoes and she has safety glasses on she’ll be just fine. All my siblings and I did it at that age.

I don’t see a problem. I was mowing at 10. Then at 12 I was weed eating.

Definitely overreacting. Give them some allowance for their hard work if they do it right :heart: it’s good to teach kids responsibilities young.

3 Likes

You should have been raised the old time way. They are a lot better off with a lawn mower and weed eater than electronics that could cause them to be led on by sex offenders or bad things. Thank your husband. He deserves it.

6 Likes

When I was 8, I actually WANTED to mow…

1 Like

It’s good for kids to have “chores”. They learn new things and get knowledge of what to do and how to take care of themselves as they get older

1 Like

My child started to help pick up things in the yard as young as she could pick up her own toys…3 years old I do believe

I was mowing the yard as soon as I was tall enough to reach the handlebar :joy:

1 Like

My 6 year old does dishes :joy::upside_down_face::woman_shrugging: I’d be glad he’s actually teaching them responsibility

2 Likes

I don’t think its the safest and you should be concerned they should have chores but they are girls.

2 Likes

It’s good for them to work around the house. Your husband is right!

You are really Overreacting!!! Teach your children how to take care of the property and basic chores… You dont want to raise lazy unappreciative Children. We have enough of those…

5 Likes

Yes it is called responsibility.

4 Likes

Chores build routines, and character, my parents had me cleaning the kitchen, my birth taking out trash, we scooped dog poop, and helped dad fertilize the yard twice a year for the new lawn (forest mulch not cow thank God)

This is not too young. You are teaching them to be self sufficient and how to do things for them selves. Now a days children do not know basic things like how to cook, clean, sew, budget just to name a few and it shows. They think that things are owed to them by their parents. A little labor won’t hurt or break them it will only make them stronger

Kids these day need to learn how to work and help
Out … keeps them
Honest … my kids had work to do at my house when they were little there all grown up and good kids and parents … do t see nothing wrong with your kids helping out

That’s awesome my dad would make me do that when I was growing up except I pulled the weeds. Its made me a strong woman with having my dad teach me to not depend on a man that I can do things just as a man can with limits

My son was 8 when he started mowing and weed eating the lawn, my daughter 10…so, no they arent too young…

1 Like

Not to young to own iphone’s and iPad’s
I could understand the frustration of your hubby wanting to do it and he can’t.
Buy them safety glasses let them learn that way they grow up not needing to depend on no one.

2 Likes

Girl I was driving a tractor at that age, bailing and stacking hay…
I think she’ll be fine with her little weed-eater🤷🏼‍♀️

5 Likes

He helped my dad building the house. We were carrying concrete blocks at 9 and 11. Plus we were doing most of the chores outside. My parents had a mini farm

2 Likes

Yes overacting 9 and especially the 12 year old are old enough to do yard work.

1 Like

I like the idea of girls learning skills that are traditionally male. It lets them grow up to be more independent and better partners in life. For example, my wife bought me a Cuisinart air fryer for Christmas, I bought her a battery weed eater. We work as a team, because we can. She just bought a 2018 Nissan Rouge and drove it home. She did the PMCS herself without comment from me, before driving it again. Life is good when you don’t have to be dependent on somebody else.

If they are allowed the responsibility of iPhones and tablets and the internet they can mow the grass. Don’t raised entitled humans. If the kid was 4, it’d be a different story.

3 Likes

Let them learn nothing wrong with it …

You are overreacting! They are learning responsibility and they will be better for it! They will know how to work when they are adults and will not expect a handout.

We had 13 huge eucalyptus trees around our yard ( huge prooprt

It’s a good thing they can operate I phone ect so dont think it hurts they todo thr garden or clean even learn how to cook

1 Like

I was out there at 9 nothing wrong with teaching a good work ethic

When they grow up to be independent women that don’t need a man to do their yard work you’ll be thankful.

2 Likes

They’re old enough to do yard work. I see nothing wrong with it honestly

Why are parents today so worried about their kid’s independence?

It seems incredibly abusive to restrict kids from learning how to use tools and work with their hands.

Childhood is about learning things. It’s critical to our development to learn how to use tools and absorb knowledge of all things. In my mind restricting access and learning has the equal potential to be labeled abuse.

The caveat in avoiding labor becoming abuse is about finding balance and teaching them about responsibilities, self motivation, and time management.

Let them learn, offer guidance and if you can find a way to work money management into this lesson more kudos to your parenting skills.

You thought they were old enough to have I-Phones… then they’re old enough to learn responsibility, and to pitch in and help with family chores.

6 Likes

My twelve year old has been doing it since he was 8. Really depends on the child. I just supervise him while he is getting it done

1 Like

Pffft… my 8yr old mows and blows the yards we go out mowing. It’s a good thing.

I’m 28 years old now. I WANTED to do it when I was younger. My dad didn’t leave me to do it all on my own; he stayed off to the side and watched me to make sure I was safe. Kids need to get off the electronics once in a while. They need to learn responsibility and life skills. Your husband just taught your daughters a skill that they can take with them into adulthood. They won’t NEED a man do yard work for them unless they want a man to do it. Also, they have a skill now that they could use to build their own lawn care businesses and be their own bosses where they don’t rely on a corporation to give them hours to pay their bills. They could make their own hours and prices. Boss ladies are a big selling point these days. People love seeing women work hard and own their own companies and are more willing to give business to har-working women than to men who do the same things. You should be proud that your husband did that for your kids. Give the kids a little cash to help give them an incentive to keep working hard and show them they CAN be their own bosses and make their own money.

I don’t see nothing wrong with it they are learning a trade

2 Likes

You are over reacting. They should be helping at their age. My kids did their own laundry at their ages. Stop coddling your kids and teach them good work ethics. Hard work and helping around the house won’t hurt them.

1 Like

That’s why the youth now days are lazy and entitled they need to learn what hard work is

4 Likes