My husband makes our 9 and 13 year old do yard work: Is that okay?

Children should definitely have some responsibility in doing chores. Them doing yard work is good-they are outside instead of watching utube or whatever. Kids that grow up in farms have chores from the time they can walk. In my opinion you are not overreacting but you’re being over protective. They have to grow up so let them.

1 Like

That’s how you make kids work young!!! Would it be different if it were a boy? Men always put there kids to work pretty fast teaching them responsibilities and diligence, maybe give them $5-10 for their work:)

2 Likes

I started mowing at that age.

1 Like

No, they are old enough to do yard work

1 Like

Nothing wrong I seen a 5-6 year old mowing grass but I’d be careful I had a cousin when he was a teen cut off his big toe… didn’t even know until he was done and took his shoes of thankfully they were able to sow it back in

1 Like

This is why kids suck now days. Kids need responsibility to learn how to be responsible. Nothing wrong with a competent 9 and 13 year old doing yard work.

6 Likes

My 11 and 12 year old mow and weed eat every week. It is teaching your kids responsibility.

2 Likes

Perfectly appropriate duties for those ages. Kids these days are not taught the value of hard work.

1 Like

I see nothing wrong with this. I was made to do yard work at the age of 9. In our house you helped out regardless of your age, everyone had to do their part.

Doesn’t hurt to let them try and do some of it and if they do a good job keep them on the payroll :yen:

Nothing wrong with this they can totally mow and weed eat

Never to young. My 6 year old washes dishes and mops floors. I was 5 when i learned how to pull weeds and used to drive my grandpas tractor before i was 7. I have bailed hay, fed horses cleaned stalls, weeded by hand, grew a garden, cooked and cleaned, all learned before i was 7.

3 Likes

He did hire someone! He feeds clothes and provides for the kids so he just hired them. It’s a great idea. Good for him

You’re joking right?

2 Likes

My 8 year old did a landscaping job with me just yesterday and 2 weeks ago my 11 year old daughter did another landscape job with me. Never too young as long as they can safely carry tools. All my kids have worked on cars withe as well starting as old as 2 or 3 :grin:teach em young

….and that’s what’s wrong with America….they should do it every week

My 9 yr old daugbter mows the lawn and weed eats. They need to know responsibility and how to do it without a man.

Is this a joke? I’m sorry if not but this is why kids these days have zero sense of responsibility. Chores are good for kids. Didnt you have chores as a kid??

1 Like

I’m sorry if this question has been answered already I did not read through all the comments but there is nothing wrong with having them do chores to earn the benefits of their cell phones and tablets are any other electronic devices. It teaches kids to be self-sufficient to learn that they are earned what they get and no one is entitled to anything without earning it.

It aint going kill them they need 2 learn 2 do work

They need to be taught! What is going to happen when they are older and a home owner (possibly) not everyone can afford to hire people so they need to learn

My mom was hospitalized when I was 12 I mowed and weed whacked 2 acres by myself they’ll be okay with some hard work once in a while. This is my 2 yr old son willingly helping with yard work. He does more chores than most teenagers these days. Maybe give the girls a reward for their hard work and they’ll be more willing to help out.

It may seem like their to young but there not … My kids are 8 and 13 … They do there own dishes …their Laundry …vaccume … Cook for them selves… Clean our yard … Take the dogs for walks … Power wash the patio … If we didn’t have a service for out lawn they would do that too … I do do all the things that I listed for them too of course but I make sure that they know how to care for themselves… It’s great to teach ur kids how to do things that help maintain the home … Don’t stress over it … I’m sure he’s making sure they are safe about it

Let them workkkk girl

There’s nothing wrong with children knowing how to do basic chores. You work. He’s not able to perform 100 percent. Your children are completely capable of doing that and more. Don’t think because of their age or size they can’t achieve or do these things. I see children do much harder work on a daily.

Your over reacting. They are perfectly capable of doing yard work and then some. Kids need to be taught what hard work is. No one seems to do that anymore…

6 Likes

He’s doing a wonderful job he’s teaching with children responsibility something besides sitting on phones and tablets and doing nothing props to him

1 Like

My 10 yr old twins mow & weed eat both of our neighbors yards every week to earn money.

Glad he’s teaching them responsibility. Hope they have more chores too.

3 Likes

I mean, my now 10 year old has been doing yard work since he was tall enough to use the machines properly. If they aren’t taught as children, when are they going to learn? Are they going to grow up, get a place of their own, and not know how to mow the grass? It’s a huge disservice to our youth when we don’t teach them basic self reliance skills like this. At 9 and 13 they should be able to cook basic meals for themselves too, nothing too crazy, but something basic like Mac and cheese for sure! We need to teach our kids because no one else will!

13 is NOT young… now days :joy::joy:

But also it does teach them skills for when their older. It’s a good way to keep them busy off those tablets and phones.

3 Likes

Good for him. Nothing wrong with it we all should do this😉

1 Like

Mowing is one thing. I’m not sure about weed eating. If he’s supervising to be sure they are safe then I see no issue.

I’m a 21 year old woman and I don’t know how to use either because my dad wouldn’t let me help him. He told me that it was a mans job(I do not believe that. I believe it’s not gender specific because it’s like cooking cleaning and doing laundry, it’s a job ALL adults should know how to do). I think it’s good that he’s teaching them. Because one day they may be by themselves and the lawn work will need to be dealt with.

Yes them kid should be doin house /yard work. My 10 yr old daughter has been mowing the grass for 2 yrs,now.

1 Like

By not making kids do this is why we have so many co dependent people now. Let them work! It only teaches them responsibility and they will learn to appreciate this later in life.

4 Likes

It’s good, in my opinion! Builds them up for the future, makes them learn to work and do hard work! And my babies don’t mow (well my 3 year old fake mows lol) but when they’re older yes, yard work , inside work! Gotta let them see nothing comes free and they gotta work :relaxed: especially if they want something (toy etc) then they gotta work for it​:grin: just my thoughts

4 Likes

Nope that’s kids now days don’t know how to do crap but iPhone and games or makeup!

1 Like

At what age do you propose they start learning life skills and responsibility?

2 Likes

You have to be joking!!! Kids need responsibility. Kids need to learn how to do things. If they can work a phone, tablet or computer then they can work a lawn mower, dishwasher, washer and dryer or any other appliance.

6 Likes

When my son was 3…we had him bringing in wood…pick up his toys and room…when older garbage mow lawn…ect…work ethic…a lot if kids don’t know of it…It’s a since of pride

1 Like

Absolutely nothing wrong with doing yard work at that age. I grew up doing it young and my boys help and do yard work as well.

Sorry Sweets your dead wrong. I’m 67 years at 9 I was bailing hay. And cows of my own to milk morning and night I had house chores yard chores other animals to feed and care care for .plus school. All these kids need some one to teach them a good work ethic. My kids were taught to work and 2 outs 3 are go gets and not afraid to get their hands dirty. The 3rds lazier then a pet coon. Won’t hit a lick on FB 24/7 preaching about the 15.00$ dollar an hour wage for flipping burgers being to low. He never held a job more then a mouth at a time. Now which one do you think I’d call if I needed help with something? Who would you trust your we’ll being to? I’m telling ya right now if I ever get down and need help I’m not calling #3 he’d be to busy planning some stupid game on line and I’m not paying him no 15.00$ a HR to put his idiot phone down. My advice is chore list do them do them right and then you get phone and game time.9 and13 why do they even have phones?

Umm no put them to work

My oldest has been cutting the yard since he was 7. He does other chores too. Same with my daughter and my 3 year old we give him easy things to do. Kids need to learn to be responsible

Letting kids be lazy will teach them to be lazy as adults.

Just so you kno. The younger they start the better off they will be in the end. I work with a bunch of people under the age of 30 and they call out, they show up late and then they say things like I’m just 2 lazy for a job.

No your kids need to learn to contribute!
Nothing in life
is free! That’s what’s wrong with these kids these days !!they are lazy and feel entitled
They will be better adults for it !

4 Likes

I’m not sure if I’d let the 9 year old weed eat but they’re plenty old enough to be helping in the yard.

4 Likes

Mowing is great. I’ve been injured (as an adult) with a weed eater so I’m a little less supportive on that. I hope the operator is wearing safety goggles. I think chores are a wonderful opportunity to learn responsibility and pride in a job well done. If the weed eater is too dangerous, there are lots of other things a 9 year old can do that will help the family succeed. They are blessed to have an in-tact family and perhaps it’s because you all are working together to make it. Good Job!

I dont see a problem with it, better to teach them young so when there older they won’t have to depend on someone to do it for them. Good life lesson an no reason why they can’t or shouldn’t help out

Its not going to hurt them it will teach them responsibility for the real world when they get grown…

1 Like

I had my own riding mower at 7/8 lmao not a darn thing wrong with it🤷🏻‍♀️

Are you for real asking if it’s ok for your kids to help with yard work? Geez.

6 Likes

It’s all in the attitude toward the value of “teamwork” , helping with a project, sharing the responsibilities of " their home".
Taking away privileges till work is done may be required in this case for safety but casts a feeling that helping out is punishment. Your attitude will be transferred. We need your help…thank you for helping…
Let’s completed this project together… doesn’t this look great.

Me and my brother had to do all yard work growing up they’ll be fine

Nothing wrong with kids doing chores, but if you look it up it says no one under the age of 14 should operate a weed whacker and age of 12 for a lawn mower. I personally would not send my 9 year old out to weed whack. I hope he has her wearing protective eye gear etc. And knows not to have anyone close by while she is doing it. I asked my husband if he would allow our 9 year old to weed whack and he said no way. The 13 year old mowing lawn is fine, but not a 9 year old running a weed whacker.

I don’t think that’s too young at all, as long as they’ve been taught to use the mower and weed-eater safely and are supervised.

3 Likes

And this ladies and gentlemen is why we have lazy self entitled kids That get offended by everything you say because of parents like her

Your husband is doing the right thing. Not only is he teaching them a trade to take care of themselves and their future yards, it’s also teaching them to help those in need. He’s not a softie and wimpy parent.

Kids now no NOTHING because mamas and some daddy’s too, do it all for them so they won’t “stress” the poor darlings. Honey, I am old school. A bit of sweat, elbow grease and hard work toughens your kids up to stand up and take that responsibility when others are sitting there looking like dummies. Be proud he is doing that, and encourage him and the girls.

Be their and his cheerleader. You can also help them inside the home too.

Saving you money and teaching your kids valuable sh*t… is this a real post?

Lol!! Mine were butchering and cooking whole chickens for dinner at 9 years old. Chopping wood, feeding livestock…its good to have life lessons. :heart:

4 Likes

Children should help in the household and in the garden, everyone has to take part. Find it important to learn early.

I have my grandson who is 13 mow my yard he started this summer. His 8 year old brother does the leaf blower and I use the weed eater.

1 Like

My son is 7 and helps his step dad mow he likes it lol

Not to early. My son is 9 and autistic and does yard work. He has since he was young. All kids should learn life skills. Just as long as as its age appropriate. They are more than. Old enough for that.

1 Like

I’m kind of sad this is even a question. I grew up with chores, as did my kids. I think this will build character and appreciation for what they have. Good job dad!

This is exactly what is wrong today, we coddle our children to much!!! I know i definitely did :pensive:

3 Likes

As long as their supervised and taught safety, I think its good for them to help with chores. As a youngster I mowed the grass so I could go skating on weekends. Good exercise for them…just keep them hydrated

Teach them while they are young you are definitely in the wrong

Wow. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that . Even more so being that he’s disabled , why is this even a status . It’s ignorant.

1 Like

They should most definitely help out. As long as they are safe.

No, I think this is great actually! Kids need these skills, bc eventually they will be grown and on their own and have no clue how to do those things. Teach them now so they can be independent as adults!

You seriously had to ask??? Wow

3 Likes

Good job parenting husband!!

Absolutely nothing wrong with it. They are learning to do things for when they get older. I had my first job at 14

If you need to ask this kind of question you are the problem with today’s society and why kids grow up to be douchbags

15 Likes

Great job teaching to help, and responsibilities for future use !!

I never did that type of work young but honestly I wish I had so yes put them to work get them started super early for the real world they will have good energetic souls to do anything when older making money and saving now can also teach your kids to save just some advice from all of us lol :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

My kids are the same age and they do yard work. And they love it. Even if they didn’t, I’d still make them do it.

2 Likes

No I think this would be good for them they will learn not to be lazy in life and that they should help their parents out

That’s a fine age. My son dose yard work. Chores are fine for them at that age. It teaches them to be clean and take care of things on there own. It also shows them responsibility.

Teach them while they’re young!! Technology is ruining the younger generation…. They will be fine!!

Is this serious??
There’s nothing wrong with your kids learning to contribute to a home. To learn what work is. Or even to earn something, like tablets and phones.
My kids poop scoop the yard, unload and reload the dishwasher, mow, sometimes garden and weed with me, vacuum. I work full time and so does dad. They do nothing. So they get to take care of some home things and in return they get phones, tablets and sometimes other things they want to buy. And im not working another full time job on top of my regular one. They’re 9 and 12.

1 Like

I think as long as they are properly taught about safety and always supervised there is no problem with it

At 9 i was running farm machinery in fields…taught me how to work for the things i wanted…:muscle::+1:

I helped my dad when I was younger but I would alwasy quit early when there older they’ll be independent to do it on there own and be grateful they have this skill and not have to pay someone but don’t work them to hard there not slaves maybe give them a allowance for it though

My daughter and son have chores since they were 5. And yard work it one of them! You have to teach these kids do to things or they will be lazy, irresponsible worthless adults that think they are to good to do anything!! There is more to life then phones, tablets, and game systems!

3 Likes

9 and 13 is not too young to help out with housework! Wow… do you want him wheeling the chair around and doing it? You obviously aren’t doing it. Why hire someone and waste money when you can teach your children how to contribute to the household.

My 10 yo twin sons mow and weed eat the yard along with their 15 yo sister.

Ain’t nothing wrong with that. It builds good work ethic and character.

Nothing wrong with teaching kids skills and to help with chores.

He’s teaching them to be good citizens. Let it be.

My 9yr old will gladly do it. He loves doing things like that. I also have a 6yr old niece that will engage in anything power related.
Teach them young, life skills. Drop the tablets and phones!!

Kids younger than that should be helping out. My youngest Son was cleaning his room at 3, as far as making his bed and picking up his toys.

1 Like

Yes! Also get outside with them and do work as well… They can learn alot doing chores early. Don’t over work them of course and thank them for taking care of their house and surroundings👍

Uh, yes. We were pulling weeds and gardening well before that age.

My 5 and 3 year old help with chores. Smaller things but they always ask to help mow the yard.

1 Like

Uhm… my 3yr old son and 7 year old daughter help with all chores… so yes your teen and preteen SONS should definitely help.

You can make it a job and have them earn a bit of cash instead of paying someone else. Some chores they don’t get paid for(cleaning own room and their bathroom etc. ) I think they need chores and learn to be responsible.