My husband wants me to cover when i breastfeed: Help!

I am a FTM and am breastfeedsing for the first time ever…my husband is uncomfortable with my breastfeeding in public and wants me to cover when i do it but honestly it gets too hot ( we live in florida and the baby hates it…but he says he doesnt want people looking at my body uncovered…i want to respect him but at the same time i dont want to be uncomfortable…how can i handle this or make him understand that its not comoftable like that

173 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. My husband wants me to cover when i breastfeed: Help!

have him but a blanket over his head while eating when y’all are out in about.

23 Likes

Tell him not to look

2 Likes

He needs to quit sexualizing your breast when nursing your child. You’re not whipping them out for the world to see, you’re nourishing your baby. I don’t understand men like this. :woman_facepalming:t2:

22 Likes

Stop allowing him to be around you in public, then he won’t have to see you breastfeed. Problem solved.

3 Likes

Tell him not to look or better yet to stay home. Rude. And I agree with the other mom that HE should cover up instead.

Sounds like your husband is controlling. You don’t have to listen to him about covering up while breastfeeding. Not his body not his choice so do what makes you feel comfortable along with the baby. When at home get a blanket and put over his head while eating it and when he freaks out say that’s what the baby feels like when covered then you walk away

16 Likes

Tell him to put a thick blanket over his head in the heat the same time and duration your child has to. That way he understands how hot it is for the child, and doesn’t have have to “look at your body uncovered.” Two birds one stone. :tipping_hand_woman:t4:

8 Likes

Alot of people are comfortable doing that in public but personally I don’t think I could. There’s alot of creeps out here and you never know who is watching. Maybe you could pump so you have some to take with you when you go out.

13 Likes

You better put your foot down. It’s too hot for baby and he hates it, and it probably disrupts his feeding. Tell hubby it’s disrupting his feeding, which is most important. Also, if this is about respect, he isn’t respecting you by not understanding the importance of it. Tell him you both don’t have to go out together if it bothers him that much. He needs to get over himself and be more supportive.

5 Likes

Really depends on how much you are flashing.
You can breastfeed discretely. I see no need to flop out your whole breast for anyone to see when you can do it .

9 Likes

You want to respect him?
Screw that
He needs to respect YOU and your baby
Don’t let anyone control you and what you feel comfortable with
I would legit throw a towel over his head any time I see him eating or drinking out in public to see how he likes it

9 Likes

Tell him they are just boobs doing what they are there to do. Instead of shaming you he should be telling anyone staring to mind their own business.

This is your choice and your choice only. It’s too hot to be covered. That’s not something that should need explaining.

2 Likes

Two shirt method? Cover your husband’s head when you feed?

3 Likes

Ask him to eat while having a blanket over his head. He won’t see it then.

14 Likes

It’s possible to feed comfortably and be covered, and not use a cover. I fed both of my children and can honestly say that I never used a cover but was also discreet. Certain clothes will allow this. I will say tho, that it takes time to get into practise. I used a combination of nursing clothing and my own clothing.That being said, it’s your choice as to how you feel comfortable. As much as you want to respect your husband, he doesn’t seem to be respecting your choices.

5 Likes

You tell him to mind his own body. I fed how I wanted when I wanted. And that was that

2 Likes

Start putting a blanket over his head when he sits down to eat. If he can’t eat that way neither should his child.

Be like, ok, as long as I have this over baby’s head, you put a blanket over your head then take it off when I’m done and tell me how you like it and f*ck his feelings wtf he needs to respect you and baby

Ask him to get his miniscule milk glands producing so he can handle feeding and covers instead

3 Likes

Tell him to grow tf up!

2 Likes

No is a compete sentence.

10 Likes

Cover his head his insane I know uncomfortable that is and most babies don’t like that, he should respect you he can go jump breastfeed the way you want to

Omg I have breastfeed 2 kids and there is no way to breastfeed your child that makes everyone comfortable so just do what is best for you and your baby because at the end of the day that is all that matters. And on a side note it is practically impossible to get a good latch while using a cover and it makes everything 100 times harder

6 Likes

Cover his head when you feed bubs. Then he wont see you do it

4 Likes

Baby’s needs are first.

Your body your choice. Tell him to put the blanket on his head then he won’t be able to see others who may look​:roll_eyes::roll_eyes: less people look than people who do. Your husband needs to calm down. He’s allowed to show his concerns but he is not your boss and should respect your choices at the end of the day.

2 Likes

I use nursing shirts and use the shirt to cover my boob that way my daighger isnt covered. Even in public. If it’s a big deal with him, maybe just bring a thin blanket to cover just your boob instead of your boob and your kiddo!

2 Likes

You shouldn’t have to cover yourself if you don’t want to. It’s whatever works for YOU And YOUR BABY……
However if you do want to take what he wants into consideration. It’s hot and summer and blankets and covers are so hot. This is what I do. If you don’t want to spend a ton on maternity shirts for discreet feeding this is what you can try. I wear a tank top underneath a loose t shirt so when I have to pull up my shirt I can pull the tank top down on the side I’m feeding on. My stomach is covered, chest is covered, boob is covered. However baby can feed and still not be too hot. After the baby is latched just let your shirt fall and it will cover the top of your breast, baby covers the bottom half of your breast and nothing is showing to the public. Very discreet. I used this method in my church restroom, in public restaurants, at home when family is over, at my kids school. I’ve never had any negative comments thrown my way. My husband doesnt care either way but I feel more comfortable with the coverage. He tells me if anyone were to ever say anything to me about it he’d just tell them like it is :joy:When it’s just us at home I let it all hang out tho :woman_shrugging: lol But do you hun. :heart:

3 Likes

Tell him to cover his head while he eats :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

Everytime he goes to eat something throw a blanket over his face since that’s how hes expecting his child to eat

7 Likes

Ask him if he wants a feed being as he’s such a baby

2 Likes

What’s wrong
With just putting a baby shawl over
Bubs head and over your tit

10 Likes

Your boob! Your body

2 Likes

Squirt him in the face and say unless im doing this to everyone then dont tell me to cover

1 Like

Next time he goes to eat, tell him to eat outside under the hot sun covered with a blanket and see how he likes it.

1 Like

You can get breastfeeding tops now maybe look into getting one of those

2 Likes

I have never covered up with a cover bc my boys are the sweatiest humans I have ever met, lol. But I am a pro at being extremely discreet. My friend and I were walking through the mall and I was nursing and I said “hey one second I need to fix his latch” and she goes “your nursing?! I couldn’t even tell!” Lol so it’s possible to not use a cover and be super discreet, and I don’t feel it is unreasonable for him to want you to be discreet about it but demanding you wear a cover ehhh I don’t like that. My husband still always would offer me a swaddle or something in case I wanted to use one like in a restaurant or whatever but he knows I am a pro at hiding it lol

4 Likes

I have to agree with him a woman should cover some when in public or go to bathroom to feed. I know a lot will have something to say but don’t waste your time I don’t care to hear it but you should have respect for others that doesn’t care to see you.

17 Likes

Serve him his dinner in bed under the covers

3 Likes

I used the 2 shirt method. I wore a cami under all my shirts. When I needed to nurse, top shirt went up and was slid down to cover skin and bottom shirt down.

1 Like

I always covered up everything but baby, shirt kept above baby face but kept me covered.
However I have a friend that plopped it out for her sweet babe. It’s all a PERSONAL choice.

I was always discreet it’s not that hard. Yes there were times it was not so discreet but no big issue.

1 Like

Who cares what he thinks honestly, use a sling and feed the baby

Take a bottle, feed before your out…go to the car….you can figure it out…or tell him get over it if you don’t really care how he feels.

5 Likes

Throw the WHOLE man away I don’t even care.

7 Likes

Why do people still have issues with breastfeeding in public?

6 Likes

I get what your saying. Ive seen these t shirts that work for nursing. https://www.milkandbaby.com/collections/nursing-tops/products/pocket-nursing-t-shirt-in-pink

2 Likes

It’s as sexy as pooping in public. He needs to get a grip

2 Likes

In my opinion his right.If u go out u can pump and use bottles.I breastfed 3 for a year .Mine don’t take formula and I was not comfortable to pull out in public.I know it’s amazing what u are doing but they are so many ways without getting over the baby’s head .Let him breathe but u can cover with shawl the skin .

12 Likes

Cover his face while he eats

2 Likes

Set your boundaries too momma!!! feed that baby comfortably for baby and yourself both!! Forget all that other noise

1 Like

Teach him that breastfeeding is natural not sexual and that if anyone stares at you they’re the problem not you :roll_eyes: can’t believe other women are telling you to cover up. I’ve always managed to nurse without a cover, discreetly without whacking a full breast out. Crop top under a t shirt. Pull crop top just below breast and t shirt slightly up. Breast easy to access for baby and minimal skin on show

9 Likes

Respect him? Please! He needs to respect YOU.
you are not his property to do as he says. If he has a problem with someone being inappropriate and staring then HE should say it to THEM. putting a poor baby under a blanket in this heat is absurd.

7 Likes

I’d tell him it doesn’t matter and people can look if they like. How insecure is he or is he just trying to control you. 

1 Like

Don’t cover if your uncomfortable. . He should respect that as well. People will get offended no matter what you do. Feed baby anyway that makes you happy. Idk where you live but in California you can feed out in the open.

1 Like

Use a breast pump. Husband has a point.

11 Likes

Florida is hot and humid. If you’re comfortable breastfeeding in public, that’s all that matters.

Being your duvet, or blanket from your bed (not gonna happen, but you’ll get the point), and make him wear that outside for as long as you breastfeed. There, now he doesn’t have to see you exposed in public.

5 Likes

Just tell him to get over it.

1 Like

Kick rocks it’s natural is what I would tell him. My husband yelled at me cuz my shorts we’re 2 short and I laughed today at him lol :joy:. Guys need to get over it quickly.

2 Likes

If your ok not covering up don’t let him get to you. You know what best for you and your baby

Wear a loose flowing singlet or tshirt type top over top of a regular singlet and just pull it up and have it just sitting over your chest, covers everything

2 Likes

Make him put a cover on too when breastfeeding see how that goes :smirk:

2 Likes

That’s a lot of red flags. Jeeze

3 Likes

Tell him that as long as he sits there with a blanket over his head for the duration of you breastfeeding, then you’ll cover up.

6 Likes

Lol no. Throw a blanket on his head during dinner and tell him you’re uncomfortable with his face showing :blush:

6 Likes

my husband is the same way. i’m not breastfeeding but when I was I had to cover up just so it wouldn’t cause him to be angry. but it didn’t bother my baby cause I used a really light blanket. almost see through actually lol. but when I have my 2nd baby I won’t cover up if she or he is uncomfortable. and if he doesn’t like it then he can buy a fake man boob that holds milk and he can strap it on his chest and breastfeed the baby. or he can compromise by putting a blanket over his head while we eat in public. jk. idk if i’d go that far but I would like
to think that I will stand up for myself if he were to tell me to cover up next time. I might not enough, i’m pretty submissive with him only because I don’t get bothered by things as badly as he does. so if it makes him bugged and it doesn’t really bother me to do
the opposite of what bothers him then I just go with the flow and let him stay happy. :woman_shrugging:t2: just me though.

1 Like

Cover. It makes us uncomfortable too.

12 Likes

Tell him to grow up, do what you are comfortable doing.

4 Likes

:fu: him! Baffles me how it can be considered ‘inappropriate’… I walked around Perth Zoo with my tiddies out all day feeding a kid. If HE thinks it’s inappropriate, it’s because HIS mind set. They’re udders, not sexual at all. When cold, or for my own comfort (if I feel awkward) then I’ll cover up. They can walk away, you’re stuck with a kid attached.

2 Likes

How about he respect you? Why should you have to cover when nature made him his own personal eye covers. They’re called eyelids. He can simply utilize his own covers at his own discretion. Tell him every time you have to cover, he has to put on a sweater for that time. Bet he stops complaining when he realizes how hot and uncomfortable he gets.

3 Likes

Does he always wear a shirt, om hot days, if not, why can he show off his boobs to all and sundry, while being comfortable, yet you and the baby have to be uncomfortable, while you are feeding his child, he needs to grow up or take over feeding the baby

Tell that man to grow up. If you don’t want to cover in the Florida heat, that’s your choice. If he has an issue with it, put a blanket over his head so he can experience the heat for himself.
Audacity must be on clearance because wth? My husband would stand guard and dare someone to say something if I had to publicly nurse.

Try the two shirt method. It worked wonders when we attend church Or restaurants.

1 Like

Put a cloth over HIS head and tell him to mind his own business.

2 Likes

Lol just read this out to my partner and his response is, tell him to grow the f up :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

3rd time mom and breastfeeding all 3 kids currently with my 3rd. Get nursing shirts it will cover most for you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: it’s not a sexual thing that’s what they are for to provide nutrition to babies. He needs to understand that.

1 Like

Next time hes eating throw a blanket over his head see how he likes it

8 Likes

I would suggest that if he’s not happy seeing you breastfeed that he leaves the room.

2 Likes

Put the cover over his head then he won’t have to worry about seeing anyone look at you while you’re breastfeeding.

2 Likes

How about you throw the whole man out! He needs to grow the hell up!

1 Like

It doesn’t show your nipple, unless the baby unlatches and you can always try to use your hand to cover it…. Also put a towel over his head when he eats, n see how long it takes for him to take it off.

3 Likes

Im sorry I agree with your husband… I think any woman should cover up un public

12 Likes

I use a fan and a light muslin blanket to help cover but not be hot. Also, you can use an app called mamava to find a lactation room near you as well.

2 Likes

Tell him to eat under a blanket and see how hot and uncomfortable it is and see if he thinks his baby should be uncomfortable

7 Likes

You heard the man, cover him up! Idk why he can’t just look away, but if he really wants a blanket covering his head in summer, I guess that’s his call. Better him than the baby

15 Likes

Is pumping not an option? That way when you’re gone you can just make a bottle

4 Likes

Next time he goes south….cover him up see if he likes to eat while he’s hot…:woman_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes

When I breastfed I always felt uncomfortable if I wasn’t covered. Even if u don’t see the nipple they are still seeing the whole other part of your boob

1 Like

Throw a blanket over his head while outside and make him eat their to​:person_shrugging: :person_facepalming: honestly he just showed how little respect he has for you with just saying that añd not respecting YOUR wishes

3 Likes

They make these breastfeeding shirts and aprons to wear- honestly I used them when in public because I was uncomfortable with random men staring at me and I live in Alabama where the heat and humidity try to kill you without the gulf breeze. But respecting your husband is something we should all learn to do. I’m sure there’s body parts you would be uncomfortable other woman looking at on your husband and while it is feeding your child it is still exposing sensitive body parts that a husband may feel better everyone else didn’t see.

6 Likes

Well I would make him cover himself while he eats. If he finds that comfortable than I will cover my baby when he eats.

2 Likes

I would consider myself kinda Conservative in the sense if someone seen me naked I would be mortified and over think it for days/weeks. I had my baby last Tuesday he ended up being really poorly and has been in ICU ever since, he was on CPAP and antibiotics and fluids because his poor little body couldn’t handle the milk for the first few days… I was 100% going to formula feed before all this because breast feeding or pumping just wasn’t for me, the consultant mentioned in passing that breast milk is easier for small babies to digest and literally the second she said that I had boobies out for all to see morning noon and night pumping like a crazy woman to get a decent supply for my little man, there was husbands on the ward, male docs, my partner, and I didn’t gave a care in the world weather they seen me or not… neither did my partner because I was doing what’s best for our son… I suggest putting a blanket over your husbands head and telling him he can’t have breakfast lunch or dinner unless he’s covered under that blanket :roll_eyes: people that try sexulize breast feeding annoy me

8 Likes

Yeah. Breastfeeding uncovered isn’t disrespecting him. He is disrespecting you and being unsupportive by telling you that you need to cover. It’s unlikely that most who see you breastfeeding will get turned on. Besides, you can’t really see much of anything while baby is nursing.

6 Likes

Tell him next time it’s hot to keep his top on because you don’t want woman looking at him.

3 Likes

Tell him to breastfeed…oh wait…

2 Likes

I wear a tank top then my main shirt it keeps my boob covered and the baby is happy. Also tho IDGAF. My tits my rules. Also my partner doesn’t mind. Spray him in the eye with the boob juice and tell him to get over it. It’s hot af (I live in southern Louisiana) and tits are everywhere now days. All boobs look the same. Once you seen one. You pretty much seen them all.

Muslin cloth? Pretty thin and let’s air through

3 Likes

He’s welcome to sit next to you you you feed his child and wear a blanket over his face until baby is done. Everytime

4 Likes