My Husband Will Not Add Me to His House

This question was submitted to our community via our Facebook page and/or our Answers forum. Responses are also taken from the community. If you have your own parenting or relationship question you would like answers to, submit on Facebook or Answers.

QUESTION:

"My husband and his ex wife had their own home. The loan payments was very behind when they divorced. He took her name off the loan and refinanced it. His father is the co signer. Fast forward 10 years later My husband owes 27,000 on his home. We have been together 3 years and married 1. He will not add my name to the house. I have done an add on that cost $12,000 and I remodeled everything about another 10,000 to bring his home more value. Also bought a $6,000 gazebo and a $8,000 building. I don’t what that means since they can be moved but property taxes went up on it so it had something to do with value. He has 2 kids I have 3. We will not have any together because we are to old lol. What will this mean for my kids when I die. He won’t let me pay the house payment either. I offered…I do pay half of all the other bills but actually spend more because I also buy all the food and cleaning supplies. I make more because I work 2 jobs so we can have nice things and all the repairs or remodeling is from my second job. What should I do?"

RELATED: Watch: Kelly Clarkson Brings Down the House Honoring Dolly Parton with ‘I Will Always Love You’ Performance

TOP ANSWERS (AS SELECTED BY MODERATOR):

The following top answers have been selected by a moderator from hundreds of responses to the original question.

"Honestly…been there done that. In process of getting divorce and he always made sure he paid the house payment. He doesn’t want you added because if he adds you and you make payments then that gives you right to his house."

"Look into state laws. I’m not on my husband’s loan for the house but bc we are married and he sells we both have to sign"

"If your state has community property laws, he’s way off base."

"Definitely look into the laws of your state, but if it was his house prior to your marriage, it could mean it’s separate property."

"You might want to talk to a lawyer."

"Stop putting money into ‘his’ property and start worrying about getting your own…"

"Never put a dime into anything unless your name is on it. Regardless if your married or not. All your doing is fixing it up an making it look nice for him. Not to mention increasing the value."

"If he had it before you it is not marital property. But in NC if your married he would have to have your signature to sell."

"Quit investing into his home own and get your own since seems like he’s protecting himself from the unseen in my opinion maybe he has some idea if things don’t work out u may take everything from him happens with multiple marriages it’s some sort of ptsd I’ve been told coming from a relative Thts been marrried and divorced numerous times"

"It really depends on if your state is a community property state or not."

Have a response to this question? Leave it below to help a mama out! Or leave your own question and get responses from real moms!

READ ALL ANSWERS BELOW: