My husband will not let me homeschool

I never thought i would homeschool, but once i dealt with the public system we ended up homeschooling and it is fantastic!!! they have it set up to be so easy now… you join a school board, you choose whether you are doing parent or teacher directed… or a mixture… I did more parent directed in elementary and teacher directed in high school… they have online classes, they have so many resources to access, literally the only thing the kids miss is the stuff at school you don’t want them in! my kids did homeschool gym class with other home school kids, music lessons etc was paid for by the school… the parents here in alberta got around $1200 per child from the school board to be used towards music, sports, supplies whatever you need, since they don’t pay for a brick and mortar school they give money to parents to home school… the kids can access their teacher by phone, email , text whenever they need help… in elementary years your teachers aide assigned to your family will visit and review that curriculum was done, and there are different thoughts, some families are un-schoolers, they don’t do formal education, I followed our provincial curriculum so my kids got a high school diploma and attended post secondary education… I can not imagine why your husband would not want you to do it, unless he doesn’t understand what is available to families now… some schools have classes you log into online and watch virtual teaching from the teacher which is helpful for physics etc… anything that might not be a strong point for you… I wouldn’t change a thing about our home school years… such a great system… i 100% would do it again, with all the bullying and shootings in schools they are much safer at home too!.. my daughter didn’t start home schooling until grade 8 and she went from a stressed out teen trying to keep up with the competition at school to having her email be pajamas forever… it changed her completely not being around that environment… little girls around 12 to 13 are rough… just had a little boy badly beaten at school in our town this week… principle doesn’t do much about bullies apparently… I 100% suggest home schooling is the way to go! and a great bonding time for you and your kids… wish i could go back to those days… misss the time with my kids now that they are grown up…

4 Likes

“Let”. Hard pause. As an adult no one can “let” you do anything. You either will or you won’t.

But Wow - some of the comments are legit just IGNORANT. Most homeschool programs also have a social schedule that allows kids in the area to get together. Plus a lot of material that schools cover isn’t actually relevant, true, is outdated, and is skimmed over. Selecting a program that is well rounded and not churning out the same drivel schools taught 30th ago and focuses on an international standard which is higher than what is taught in most districts nowadays. The various programs are being more popular as parents become unsatisfied with the public school system and more financially strained from the private system. And let’s face it: schools aren’t safe for children. It does take time to find a program that works best for you and your child because no two are quite the same. Between bullying, violence, and some of these teachers - I understand the appeal. However that automatically means someone has to be there with them and if you that’s a loss of income.

However going to school will allow your child to develop close (and hopefully) lasting relationships with friends. Itll allow more social interaction and a physical outlet and also allow him/her more space to learn and explore the world around them. Would allow you both to work as well

9 Likes

It’s a really harsh world. I think you as a mom and teacher they will do well

1 Like

I mean I kinda agree with your husband here, but I can’t make a judgement without knowing the kids age etc. I’m a firm believer that kids need to go to public school at least until high school to be exposed to other cultures that the other children may have and also for socialization. Now once they hit 9th grade it’s up to them imo, my daughter decided to do online school in 2020-2021 but this past year she went back to regular school, and has been more social than ever. I have a four year old now who I 100% intend to send to public school when old enough.

3 Likes

He won’t ‘let’ you? Hmm…I guess that is why I was a single mom; I could never live with a man who was going to tell me what I can or cannot do; esoecially when it comes to babies that I carried for 9 mo and gave birth to. To each his own I guess; if it works for you having a man who ‘lets’ you or doesn’t ‘let’ you do things I guess that’s your business!

4 Likes

Can you tell you why he’s even so against it?

Communication is key. I would tell him you want to know WHY he is so against it. And really listen. Then present your case with WHY you want to homeschool. Discuss the benefits.

6 Likes

I plan on homeschooling my daughter

1 Like

He sounds pretty damn controlling by saying he won’t “let you”. You need to ask him for real reasons and why he doesn’t think it’s a good idea.

homeschooling sucks i wouldn’t let my girlfriend do that when we have children

4 Likes

I would do it anyway. Tell him they are your kids too and you are doing it not him. And you feel it’s in their best interest. And the safest option.

I chose to homeschool my kids. There are also online public school options. Where they have classes online with other kids and a teacher.

They also have dances, field trips, etc.

My kids are very outgoing. Have many friends. Sleep overs. Field trips. Dances. Play sports.

They learn just as much if not more homeschooling/online.

Schools aren’t safe anymore. Teachers having relations with kids, drugs, shootings, bomb threats, bullying, etc. My job as a parent is to keep my children safe. That was my reasoning for pulling my kids out of school. Because it’s just safer to do it at home and not have to worry about any of that.

It’s also not hurting them any. Both of my kids are straight A students. My son has a job. He is graduating a year early. Already has colleges interested and has been invited to tour multiple colleges.

Homeschooling or online schools are a great option especially in this world we are living in.

8 Likes

What qualifications do you have to home school? Just curious. You have to know the subject matter you’re teaching and be able to teach it. It’s not as simple as some think.

1 Like

Love it when you make a complete and valid argument and someone gets offended and blocks you …lmao​:rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

So then make him do all the packed lunches, drives to school, conferences, open houses, laying out clothes for school, getting them ready. If he’s going to force public school he can pick up the slack then.

5 Likes

Homeschooling can definitely be hard but it’s not always what people think it is. This year my son has participated in a co-op. Maybe your husband doesn’t feel confident that you can give him everything he needs educationally? Maybe he thinks the child will act socialization or turn out weird? I never would have thought so either but the way things are in the world it’s definitely the right choice for some families. What if you suggest to him trying it for one year and joining a co-op? They have educational based ones where they’re actually learning curriculum and important school subjects. They have ones that are just for the music art and gym they have ones that are religious based or nature-based. Unfortunately I do believe legally you have to both sign the paperwork so he will have to be on board. Tell him that as the child’s mother who brought him into this world that your thoughts feelings and opinions matter as well. Give him a list of your reasons and tell him that if it doesn’t work out that you re enroll in school. Start in the summer by finding some of the homeschool groups in your area and look for play there to meet ups. I think normalizing it would really help. Also start teaching your child over the summer. By the curriculum for the next grade level and start doing small lessons and school work with him. If you’re able to show yourself that you are capable and show your son that he can do it and prove to your husband that he will make progress you can actually have tangible proof that you can be an effective teacher I’m not can go a long way

1 Like

There are pros and cons to everything.

1 Like

It’s not just his kids its your kids too and I would do what I wanted and he could get tf over it that’s what he’s doing to u about it

3 Likes

Ok I am a kid who was home schooled for 2 years and I hated it because of the isolation sometimes it was ok but I hated being away from making friends. Maybe he’s trying to think about their mental state or maybe he was homeschooled and hated it

5 Likes

As a homeschooling mom I can tell you it’s absolutely worth it. You will never be able to give your child a more personalized education. You gain so much. I totally the concerns about socialization, and that’s a valid. However, with homeschooling families increasing heavily since the start of the pandemic the rise in co-ops and social groups has also risen. You can educate your kids at home and still provide them a rich social life.

7 Likes

Then tell him to foot the bill for Private school, or shut it

1 Like

It’s funny how many people comment about the word let lol. They have their own problems to deal with. Any way…
He may be more worried about the lack of social skills the kids will have more than anything and in all seriousness your skills to be a real teacher. Kids don’t go outside as it is and get right on a game, phone or tablet every chance they get already. But I’m sure there’s a mutual ground you can meet on. Try talking to him about what it is he doesn’t like about home schooling and try and work it out if possible to appease him if you really want to put that kind of effort out and learn the skills needed to really home school children to there maximum potential because im sure its harder than most people think. Home schooling doesn’t mean sit them in front of a lap top. It means you literally have to be a teacher and know all the answers to the questions presented. Are you prepared to put in that kind of time, effort and years to follow thru with it?
Don’t get wrapped up in the other nonsense about letting you or not letting you home school why bring drama in your life over a word that others get hung up on that’s irrelevant to the big picture.

1 Like

How about compromise.
Ppl saying just do ot anyways, are no different then the dad.
Work together on parenting. Why does it have to be an "us vs them " attitude.
Dad has every right, just as much as mom to have a say in his child’s education.
Talk, and sort things out like adults.

9 Likes

He has equal say it and that’s why you got married right? Why don’t you ask him what his reasonings are against it and unfortunately you’ll have to make a decision either you send them to public school or are you divorce him and home school.

I would suggest that you may be sick some counseling and therapy since your reasons appear to be rooted in fear. Fear should never be at risk reason for any of your parenting or actions that’s how you get negative coping

3 Likes

The question is are you qualified?

1 Like

Nothing wrong with homeschooling

2 Likes

N alot of kids would be better off especially now a days

3 Likes

Letting my kids go to regular school for elementary school. Will let them choose if wsnt to start homeschool in middle school. I believe letting them scoialize young is best,but do what you will.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t homeschool however I would definitely look into virtual online schooling programs u get to keep them at home and they still get to learn at school just virtually

1 Like

It’s not common for something like mass shooting to happen at school. However, I’d enter them in K12 online public school as a compromise. There are still teachers, state regulations, and classmates they get to interact with. My kids’ father didn’t get to decide what schooling I chose for my kids, even when we were together. I carried and birthed them. I sacrificed my body and health. I make almost all child decisions.

3 Likes

I’m about 90% sure I’m going to home school my 3 year old.

I’m terrified to let him go to school with everything going on. If he’s worried about the socialization aspect, that’s valid. Maybe find co-ops, home school groups, and other things to do with other kids (there are so many programs for home schooled kids to get together to share curriculum and socialize).

If he still refuses, there’s no compromise. If you’re dead set on homeschooling and he’s dead set on them not, I have no idea how to compromise on that.

Maybe tell him he can pay for an expensive, high security private school or he can suck it up.

My husband feels the same way. He originally was on board when our oldest son started kindergarten in 2020. He keeps going back and fourth on it. One day he is good with it the next not so much. It has been a constant battle more so now because he sees how much I struggle to get our son to do school work.(he is 6 going on 7 in October. He has never been to regular school so he doesn’t know how school works). I love the idea of himeschool but feel it would have been easier for me as well as our son had he had atleast a year of regular school under his belt.
My husband also has worries about the social aspect of being home schooled. He feels as though our son is missing out.we have decided to try regular schiil in September and see how he does. I need my sanity back and our other son is also getti g to an age where its not as easy to home school his brother because hes bored and getting into stuff. I invilve him where I can but sometimes it’s to hard to get done what needs to get done with him trying to be in there to.

1 Like

I’m a homeschool mom. I’d love to know why he disagrees with homeschooling.

4 Likes

Here, we have k12 and connections academy. Connections academy let’s kids do online school, and kids use the computer to be involved with the class, (so does k12, if I remember right). They also have field trips. There are tons of things where homeschooling get together, you just have to find them. So, your kids won’t be isolated, unless YOU isolate them by not Letting them or you not getting involved with these types of activities. If it was me, I’d check into these things and then present each option to hubby. He might not want you to because it’s very demanding (at times), and might worry you will start, but burn out after a while…

2 Likes

As with every mother past, present and future
We are all afraid to let our
Cubs into the world

There are good and bad theories for both sides of the argument

If your child is unable to attend school be it for behaviour issues, medical reasons
Yes it’s probably a good reason to home school

But on the other hand
Face to face education helps kids
To be able to form friendships and how to interact with other kids
Also how to work in a structured class room setting

1 Like

Look for charter schools. Still a chance at everything but a much slimmer one then public school

Mention virtual school, all the school, classroom, teachers, classmates and assessments without the bullying and violence :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

“My husband will not let me”
No ma’am that’s where you take it into your own hands to protect those babies. Choose to homeschool them anyways and how he reacts is for the better either way.

16 Likes

Homeschool mom of 6. Follow your gut. There is no better teacher for your children than you. There are so many different types of homeschooling. There’s all kinds of homeschool groups. Check your local library, gymnastics places, trampoline parks- they usually have homeschool events during school hours. Homeschool isn’t all butterflies and rainbows. It’s normal to have struggles.

9 Likes

Your kids need to be conditioned to deal with the big, bad world as is. He would prob prefer u earn a little income to help with family expenses.

2 Likes

Let you child (children) go to to school and make friends and be taught by people who have been educated to do so. There is structure in the schools which you do not have the ability to do. Help them develop into people who will have to relate with others in the outside world. You cannot protect them forever.

5 Likes

My daughter has been online for years now & its the best ever for her

1 Like

Hold your ground. Mommy intuition usually knows best. Sometimes wish I would have never sent my kids to public school.

5 Likes

My daughter is 8 and has never been to a regular school. August she will be finally going to a regular school. I’m going to tell you my experience. I regret it. Not because I regret teaching her or being around her 24/7. I love my daughter. She is my world…but because of the socialization. My daughter is the only child and she has many behavioral problems and it’s because I decided to homeschool her inside of putting her in school. I will say she’s very smart and i believe with homeschooling they can learn more then being in a classroom. Your situation might be different if you have more then one child because they socialize…but my daughter doesn’t have anyone her age. I take her off to the park and other fun places…she has a 9 year old cousin that comes over on the weekends here and there but its just not the same. I understand it’s scary with the way this world is…maybe try discussing doing a private school. I think private schools are more secure then public…but honestly if this is something you really want to do then just keep talking with him about it maybe maybe suggest to him that you want to try it for a few weeks and that if it isn’t going well you’ll put them back in school.

2 Likes

My daughter is 8 and has never been to a regular school. August she will be finally going to a regular school. I’m going to tell you my experience. I regret it. Not because I regret teaching her or being around her 24/7. I love my daughter. She is my world…but because of the socialization. My daughter is the only child and she has many behavioral problems and it’s because I decided to homeschool her inside of putting her in school. I will say she’s very smart and i believe with homeschooling they can learn more then being in a classroom. Your situation might be different if you have more then one child because they socialize…but my daughter doesn’t have anyone her age. I take her off to the park and other fun places…she has a 9 year old cousin that comes over on the weekends here and there but its just not the same. I understand it’s scary with the way this world is…maybe try discussing doing a private school. I think private schools are more secure then public…but honestly if this is something you really want to do then just keep talking with him about it maybe suggest to him that you want to try it for a few weeks and that if it isn’t going well you’ll put them back in school.

1 Like

I would personally never homeschool, nor do I have any desire to do so but I think families that want to dedicate the time, money, and patience to educate their children at home and do it well are incredible. It’s just not something I have the patience for and I know my limits. I love my daughters but I know they would be served better by someone who has more patience and isn’t such a control freak :sweat_smile:

I would ask your husband what his reasons are for opposing homeschool if you’re prepared to take responsibility for everything. Does he have any real points? Is it matter of losing your income or wanting the kids to have a traditional school experience? Is it something uneducated like having a stereotype that homeschooled kids are weird or won’t have friends ? Is he concerned about the lack of opportunity for extra curricular activities? I would come prepared to show him the local activities you find to meet your kids’ social needs and to show him that homeschooling has changed a lot since the 1990s and 2000s and has become very normalized and kids are very well adjusted and miss out on very few things.

6 Likes

For one… kids need interaction with other kids and adults. Two it’s been proven that the kids that are home schooled lack certain emotional and problem solving skills. Three I’ve met home schooled people… they are different as fuck. They never had to deal with real problems so they lack the skill to handle the world ur setting ur kids up for failure… not accidemically but emotionally and physically crippling them for life… now that being said. I have seen a few people who also had parents who when homeschooling. Took them out everywhere they went to teach them life and meet new people. Those home schooled kids are doing better then everyone I know… if u can insure you’re going to do everything accidemically possible and up hold social and emotional skill testing and problem solving. Then I don’t see a problem with it only in the USA because what’s the point of sending ur baby to school to be shot and have cops stand by doing nothing…

Educate your children to be good friends and know how to be safe around others. It is scary what has been going on but the truth is that people die of many reasons every day. Every time you leave your house you put your family at risk. Auto accidents, robbery’s, fires, building collapses, drowning, don’t let the unstable people of this world choose how you will live your life. School is good for your children. I don’t think I could ever homeschool my children. My son loves his school friends and the activities he does at school he would never get to do if I was his teacher. I’m sure your husband has his reasons for disagreeing and I feel it is definitely a mutual decision to be made and not taken lightly.

1 Like

As long as you do things when homeschooling and allow them to take part in different activities, not with just one group, homeschooling can be fairly successful. But you have to be committed to getting them out and interacting.

4 Likes

I think the important part of this is what do the CHILDREN wish to do? Do they want to homeschool? Do they want to go to school? Maybe you should ask your children what they wish to do. I’m scared to. I mean what parent isn’t? Deranged people are shouting up grocery stores, churches, gas stations. Unless you stay at home , and it can happen there too, so they don’t care where. If the only reason is because of fear of school shootings… I would defiantly think more. Shootings can happen anywhere. You cannot live your life in fear.

3 Likes

So he refuses to let you do it and you don’t know why he hates it so much? That’s not your husband, that’s your boss or your daddy.

8 Likes

Just do it. I can’t imagine sending my kids to school in this day and age. It’s terrifying to think about. I am so sorry you do t have the support. Maaaaybe he would be open to an online public school?

3 Likes

Are you a qualified teacher? Boom.

4 Likes

So tell him to hit the road, your kids come first‼️

6 Likes

Just make sure your schools are safe. Teachers should guns in their rooms(under lock and key). The kids miss so much for being homeschooled. Talk to your school boards to make sure they can keep your children safe. School is almost out so check with you schools and make sure the are taking all precautions to keep the teachers and students safe. Like fire drills, let them have drills for an attacker. Besides are you going to keep your children from going to a mall, going out to eat or going to a movie? It could happen anywhere.

I also disagree with many that have the argument they “need” school for socialization… they need to interact with kids their own age sure, but they can do that in extra curricular activities, other cousins, or friends made from the extra curricular activities, as well as time at the park. School isn’t for socializing it’s for learning, my child is homeschooled, and is technically in the second grade but is learning at 4-5th grade level being at home, he is well balanced, has friends, and does play dates, does extra curricular activities and is not deprived from being home. It takes a lot of patience having them not attend school but, if you can wing it, even being an online public school I absolutely encourage you to do so, so much is influencing your children outside the home. Let your family be the one to be influential.

12 Likes

Can’t mother them forever. Wish mine hadn’t.

2 Likes

I used an all on line public school for my kids, it was free. They got to be home and I got to be very hands on when they were small. I didn’t have to come up with a coriculum and we had scheduled field trips. The actual teachers took over more and more as they got older until by high school my job was mostly supervisor and support staff. They graduated with a regular diploma and had the opportunity to take more advanced classes then were available at our local rural school, while still being able to play sports with the local school.

4 Likes

I’ve heard both schools of thought about homeschooling. I’m sympathetic with parents who are terrified of diseases and gun violence, teen sex and bullies. I’m down with that. There are a lot of drawbacks to public school. I get that. At the same time, the things kids are expected to learn nowadays… elementary school students starting to work on math my generation didn’t see till high school. The science is beginning to include some of this math. The simple fact of the matter is, some of us are not able to teach this stuff to the kids because we never were able to master it ourselves. And what about fine arts? Band? Can you teach your child how to play an instrument? Ok, so they may never use it once they’re out of school. But can you implant memories of marching in parades and at school ball games? Just asking. Some schools are starting to reintroduce industrial arts at the high school level, it should be taught in middle school too. If parents start griping now, maybe it will be in middle school by the time your little one gets there. And, of course, there’s socialization. You’re going to have to steel your kids against bullies. And teach them how to defend themselves. Teach them not to start it, but let them know schools are probably not going to stop the bullies. They’re going to have to knock the bully on his rear end. Then let that be the end of it. Teach your kid good hand washing. That will help keep them from getting sick. Or send hand sanitizer to school with them. Try to instill in them if they want friends they have to be a friend. Don’t let people walk all over them, but treat people the way they want to be treated. Teach them to respect their elders, but to tell you if they are mistreated by a teacher or other adult at school. It’s a lot. But sadly enough, it’s the basics. Teach them that stuff and they’ll probably be ok.

Once you choose homeschooling. Education won’t help with funding for teaching materials, etc. Each to there own but my children loved primary school. Chance to make friends, school trips, socialising, teaches sharing, body language. All skills kids need in this era to survive in society. You also have to pay all exams when due to leave etc. Maybe homeschooling in younger yrs, but def send to high school

He should look at the big pic of it it’ll save on getting the chances of getting any type of covid for one and plus save u on lunches and other school supplies that u have pay for each year and other things that I’m forgetting Abt as well. So just bring it every once in awhile and then maybe it’ll open his eyes up by then good look on trying to get him to understand and how much sense it makes it sound too.

You’ve said you don’t know why he hates the idea so much so have you guys just tried sitting down and discussing his concerns or…?

3 Likes

I don’t think I would send my kids to school either anymore

3 Likes

“my husband will not let me”

Absolutely fucking not. Women wake up and realize you should make decisions together. If one partner refuses to be your equal…LEAVE. Find your worth , because being with a man like that is useless.

At the same time he’s also their father. You need to come to a compromise. He also has a voice in this. It’s not you against him. It’s the both of you against the problem.

3 Likes

Well unfortunately this a two yes/one no situation. Even if you separate he can have the courts stipulate about schooling too. Also please make sure that your anxiety about our shitty world doesn’t go to far and you check in with a therapist if it is. I’m wondering if he’s saying no bc this seems fear driven to him instead of a fact based choice for the kids.

Homeschool kids have many socialization opportunities. Just look for some groups in the area.

Communication is key. Ask him why he says no and explain why you want it. Then maybe y’all can figure out what’s the best option for your family.

4 Likes

My daughter is trying to find bullet proof back packs

5 Likes

With all the school shootings n indoctrination most ppl want to start homeschooling now. Is he unaware of what’s going on in the school systems

2 Likes

If you don’t know why he hates the idea you’re not going to convince him
If you can’t even communicate as a couple I don’t think home schooling would be a good idea at the moment

2 Likes

If I lived in America… I’ll do the sam3

2 Likes

First things first, you need to find out exactly what it is that makes him hate the idea. Sit down and talk to him and tell him this is something you’re feeling resentment and viernes about and you won’t be able to let it go without understanding his reasoning and him giving you a chance to find ways to make the things he’s concerned about work. If he’s worried about curriculum choosing too much, find a curriculum you know yall can afford to show to him. If he’s worried about their social lives, find the co-ops, enrichment programs, sports, churches, etc that are in your area for the kids to do. Write out a list of how it will benefit each kid to be homeschooled instead. My husband doesn’t make decisions on emotion, so when I came to him about it expressing my fear for my child safety, he sympathized but did not think it was enough to make a big decision on emotions. So I came to him with logic and information, and now he’s on board. If your husband doesn’t understand or doesn’t care after you bring more info to him, then he just doesn’t care and I wouldn’t blame you for not caring what he thinks and doing what you feel is right regardless.

4 Likes

My husband was against the idea, until these last few months. Now he’s changed his mind. He was worried about socialization and that it would be too much work for me, but I really think it’s a better option for our family.

5 Likes

Fight for school security. We sent 40 BILLION to Ukraine. D.C. has security that we could use the $ for schools. Etc

4 Likes

You need to sit him down and try to understand what his thoughts are on it, let him speak, think about his opinion and then respond with your ideas and concerns. Give you both a chance to really communicate about both sides of it so you can get on the same page one way or another.

You can’t let mass fear scare you from living life!! It’s ALWAYS been a scary world.

11 Likes

You can’t keep them at home forever

6 Likes

Honestly not all kids are built for homeschooling. Because there social skills take much longer to develop and it could be something your husband saw with someone. Maybe if you came up with a timetable and showed him what exactly you plan to do, what you will do for outdoor activities and how u plan to make them friends and what not.

4 Likes

If you live in USA, I don’t blame you. Shocking beyond belief that all children have regular ‘active shooter drills’ at school. I would be home schooling mine there too.

3 Likes

We have homeschooled for the past two years. Best decision of our lives. I see people mentioning socialization. How much do you think happened the last two years being masked up and social distanced?
Kids have lost almost two years of productive schooling. It has set them back. The data is just now coming out about the damage this has caused. While my youngest has thrived at home schooling where he couldn’t in government schooling.
It’s not for everyone but don’t knock it until you see how good it can be for your kiddo.

8 Likes

Explain to him what you are feeling, and why. Odds are he will listen. Comprimise is key

I would have a calm conversation with him and tell him all of the reasons why you feel homeschooling is the best. I would also touch base on the curriculum, how they would achieve socialization (since it’s sounds like a lot of people here in the comments may be confused/concerned that socialization just doesn’t happen if you homeschool), the designated times you would lay out to teach. I would also ask him to explain why he does not want your kids to be homeschooled. I would figure out if it’s socialization he’s worried about, wanting the kids to experience the same education he received/getting out of the house M-F, etc

Let you? Sounds controlling :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

Maybe he thinks you’re unqualified. Work with your individual therapist to resolve whatever anxiety issue you have.

1 Like

Do you need his permission? Why is he the one that gets to decide. If you’re home, then homeschool. If he doesn’t like it then too bad. I’m not risking my babies lives either, regardless of others opinions.

8 Likes

Don’t isolate your children at home because of these scary incidents. Are you qualified to teach your children with a degree in education? Can you provide social interaction with other children so they can grow emotionally ? Can you still have the energy to provide the effort to help them.participate in sports or the arts etc so they are well rounded children with more than just academics in their lives ? Have you thought about the time you will take away from your husband and your relationship preparing lessons for your children. Your husband is your partner and deserves the first place in your life if you are going to have a happy relationship for a lifetime when your children leave your home and create their own independent lives. Mothers deeply love and support their children who enrich their lives but the most important thing you can give your children is a loving father who you love and respect that loves and respects you and his children. Think twice about your decision. Instead use your desire to protect your children to fight for security in schools and fight for support from Congress to pass legislation to protect children with gun restrictions. Consider a private school if you are worried that you have investigated and know has excellent safety provisions. But work with your husband to reach joint decisions for everyone’s happiness.

18 Likes

Have you asked him why? My husband was the same way for 9 years. Come to find out he was worried about socializing. So, I came up with a plan and how I will make sure they socialize. I start homeschooling our two youngest in August. Communicate with him and see if you can find a solution.

1 Like

Are you married to a caveman? LET you? No ma’am .

4 Likes

My sister home school her 4 kids & it was great

1 Like

No safer at the grocery store, mall or church any more. If you want your kids safe, vote out Republicans.

22 Likes

U need a new husband lol u dont think u smart enough to do so.

1 Like

If u used I’m gutted . I wouldn’t let u school my kids either. Lord help her

1 Like

Clearly yo man dont care bout u or your kids. Lol when u gunna wake up

1 Like

You need to communicate, and come up with a compromise of some sort. That’s what you do in a a marriage… just bc he says he doesn’t want them home schooled doesn’t mean he doesn’t care about his kids, he probably wants them to have interaction with kids and be outside of the house and actually grow, instead of having limited interaction and being stuck in the house 90%of the time.

4 Likes

Ask him what he’s concerned about specifically. Then try to work to where you get a solution. But they’re his kids too and he definitely gets a say in this matter.

3 Likes

then settle for a private school. its smaller and safer… gets u both what u want .

2 Likes

Some of people on here get a new husband or he don’t care u people say anything

Okay, 1. Dad has a right to want different things for his children. He is an active participant in this conversation.
2. Homeschooling sounds really great until you realize that taking your children literally anywhere puts them at risk. I totally understand the anxiety of sending your babies out with all these horrible events. But they need schooling to do anything in life.
3. If you’re really going to do it, come up with a plan, take some classes to help you be better equipped to teach your children. Find a good homeschooling co-op so they still get socialization. If you struggle with certain subject come up with a plan for how they will learn those. Present him a solid argument so you guys can have a real discussion not just “oh honey btw I’m homeschooling the kids”. Online schooling is a great option too if they’re older.

6 Likes

Do it anyway he can’t stop you

2 Likes

Mine are still going to public school. Its not any different now than it has been. Only difference is social media is more prevalent now more than ever and we see more of what the world is really like. I will not live my life in fever. You yourself take a chance everyday when you go to work, run errands, go to church, go to a sporting event.

3 Likes

It’s his child as well. You can’t just make a big decision like that and disregard his opinion or approval. You need to communicate and compromise.

4 Likes