My husband will not let me homeschool

My husband refuses to let me homeschool our children and I am gutted…it wouldnt be him doing any of the work with them, just me as he would be at work…but he absolutely refuses and i do not know how to convince him or whyhe hates the idea so much…ia m scared to let my kids go to school in this world

337 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. My husband will not let me homeschool - Mamas Uncut

I didn’t ask my husband to let me or if I can. I was the one at home with my kids all the time so I did what I wanted. He didn’t get a say in it since he was always gone.

19 Likes

I didn’t ask his permission to do it since he was always gone. I did it since I was the one always home with them. He didn’t get a say.

7 Likes

Why does his opinion hold more weight than yours?

18 Likes

Refuses to let you…
I wouldnt be asking permission

15 Likes

Just do it and he can get the fuck over it

I dont ask, I am the one at home with them.

6 Likes

I’m glad my sons dad was all for it. He wasn’t at first until my son was getting bullied and the school would do nothing about it and then my son started fighting back and getting suspended once that became a routine he was all for home schooling

3 Likes

Are you qualified ? WANT vs. ABILITY ?

7 Likes

Do it anyway. I do lol

1 Like

It’s a 50/50 decision! Those are just as much your kids as his.

6 Likes

You can’t live your life in fear there is just as much chance of someone shooting up a walmart or gas station. Maybe he wants your son to have the much needed social interaction that school provides. It creates a sense of normalcy and trying to hide from the world does nobody any favors it really just opens yourself up to more issues in the long run. He has 50% say in this as his father so I would ask my husband to go to counseling and go over pros and cons to come to an agreement.

10 Likes

Do it anyway. It’s not the 1950’s.

1 Like

Maybe try showing him the k-12 program. It’s a good program and you have teachers and tons of support etc you also do a lot of the teaching of materials

2 Likes

Huh ?! Nope :-1: You don’t need permission ! He either is ok with it or not but that’s his personal feeling n he can keep it to himself . I wish someone try n tell me , wouldn’t happen . Js

5 Likes

My only thing with home schooling, is we are not teachers. We did not go to school to be able to teach certain subjects. Up to a certain point I’m sure it doesn’t matter much, but what about geometry and algebra & things like that.
How does homeschooling work? How do they know a child is getting a real education? How do you know you’re teaching things right?
I feel like if THESE are his issues, and you can find valid, reliable answers to them to put his mind at ease then fine.
Plus, the social construct of it all. In my opinion, even as an adult, homeschool kids are weird. Unless you are in an area that has a good community of homeschoolers. Your child won’t have socialization in a traditional fashion. This leaving them lonely & friendless, making them awkward.

15 Likes

Homeschool you have to pay for and public school is free, so why wouldn’t you both discuss it together?
I feel like if you’re a stay at home mom it’s your energy being put into educating the children, and he’s paying for the materials right?

Your kids safety comes first. He will see that homeschool is soooo much better. Tell him to give you a year to prove it.

Gather your points and have a one on one about all the reasons. Ask for a trial (one school year) to try and see how well it goes.

Why does he decide? He’s not the only parent

4 Likes

Ask him about the Texas massacre of 19 children slaughtered and see if he changes his mind :pray::v:t2::cry:

1 Like

Why would you want to punish your children because of a fear you have?? That’s sad. Good for him for saying no way.

16 Likes

Sounds like you both need to work on communication together…
Why do feel they need to be? Why does he feel they don’t? Benefits of both, Negatives of both?
You might be the stay at home parent but he’s also the parent. A team, so communicate as a team…

8 Likes

For ones saying they didn’t ask. Im glad that works well for your family but in most, that’s something you talk about and compromise with your SO. I’d never just “do what I want” but that’s just me. I see your point though for sure but it’s not like that for everyone

10 Likes

Not that he should be able to “allow” you to do anything, but they have online schools that are normal schools. Homeschool can have just as much social interactions as public school, you just have to make sure you bring them out to do so. They also have plenty of curriculums to follow and this is even easier when they are younger

7 Likes

My husband didn’t think it was a good idea either but trust yourself! If you want to do this, go for it, I promise you you won’t regret it. After my husband seeing all the benefits to homeschooling, he has come around to the idea. It’s just scary for them because it’s not the norm. But us as mom’s know what is going to be best for our children. I say go for it anyways. Join local homeschool groups, they will help with transitioning.

3 Likes

“He doesn’t have a say”…The fact that women think their husband’s, FATHER TOO THEIR CHILDREN, opinion doesn’t matter is astounding :roll_eyes:

24 Likes

Ok then ask him if you can go sit outside their school everyday with an AK to protect them…:woman_shrugging:

7 Likes

Why is it his way or no way…as a mom u at least have a say.

5 Likes

I think he should get a say there his kids also. Should he make the final say I don’t know. It would be why he feels they should be in person. I wouldn’t pull my kids just out of fear. Not ever mom can home school. ask him his reasons why he says no. Ask him why he is so strong on a no And explain to him your concerns. but not one parent should trump the other one.

Do research into different online school choices. Really research it. Then shoe all info to him. I’m talking graduation rates, programs, teacher vs you as teacher, testing scores ect

1 Like

I would be more concerned at your ability rather than permission tbh.

And in not criticism.

Home schooling is exhausting and hard for kids to adjust to mam and teacher.

My daughter said I’m too strict, but said thanks because she’s smart… she’s 10

4 Likes

I mean…I get it tbh. I want my daughter to go to school school.

2 Likes

My husband was in the middle of the ocean when I made that decision for our youngest. He called and asked how the kids day went at school and I told him great, he was confused because our youngest had been having a horrible time with school. I told him I made the decision homeschooling would be best for her and I unenrolled her from school. That was that. We never looked back. He questioned did I think that was the right decision, and I did too at first honestly but it’s been the best for her.

5 Likes
1 Like

There are many fully accredited home school programs out there that will have your children capable of going to college. And MANY of them have live feed video teaching. They have been doing this in Australia for years. It works well. You just have to be willing to follow through with it it and not let the children slack off.

3 Likes

My kids needed to be in school…my oldest has learning disabilities and needs to be socialized with other kids… It wasn’t so bad for in person

You can’t shield your kids from everything. Should you not let them go swimming because they might drown? Not eat because they might choke? Not get in a car because a drunk driver might hit your car and kill them?

7 Likes

I think we need to prepare our kids for the world and not shelter them.
I think knowledge and experience is power.

3 Likes

Many states also have charter schools. They are not the same as a price schools and the teachers are outstanding. You should look into it

I’d just do it. Fuck what he thinks tbh. When it comes to your childrens safety don’t take no for an answer! I live in nz so we don’t have that sort of thing happen here but trust me if we did I would be homeschooling too! Regardless of what anybody else thinks. That’s their safety, their lives on the line. You do what you gotta do mama :two_hearts:

what is his reasoning? it should be 50 50. you have fear sending them to school but are you going to keep them from going out of the house. since things can happen any where.

1 Like

I think both parents need to be on board. Íf you are choosing this due to the recent events, your husband might be worried about increasing the child’s anxiety. Why not make an appointment with the school and ask to see their safety protocol. You might feel more comfortable. Or he might start to feel concerned about the lack of safety. Homeschooling takes commitment from both parents.

2 Likes

Maybe he doesn’t think your capable. I wouldn’t trust someone who has no education degree to teach my kid. If you have a teaching degree that’s totally different.

He sure as shit has a say because they are his kids too and any woman who says otherwise is absolute trash. :woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming:

Tell him to let you try for a month or two. Then prove his worry needless

1 Like

Homeschool can be amazing but it is also extremely isolating. I was forced to homeschool as a child. My kids and I talk openly and I also observe their needs regarding school every year. Please don’t homeschool just out of fear- this does take a lot- can your kids handle the isolation?

4 Likes

Recently “uvalde”!!! All the time crazies come into schools and one day it might be your child… until the get this under control I will homeschool for life

2 Likes

as a home schooled child please think long and hard before you do that. It fucked me up.

Maybe he’s concerned about the stress homeschooling could put on you.

4 Likes

Since you both feel differently id say compromise and tell him let’s do it for a year and after that if it’s not a good fit you go back to regular school.

1 Like

I think he’s probably concerned you’re making a rash decision without planning. Do you know you have to apply and send a curriculum to the state? Do you have one prepared?

5 Likes

Then you can never let them leave the house. You risk death and injury just pulling out of your driveway.

5 Likes

How old are your kid’s??

Sounds like something you two need to talk about.

I understand you both. You’ll have to meet him halfway

Keeping your kids locked up and away from friends in a school setting is not going to change the world. You shouldn’t hide your kids because you are afraid. If your kids are happy that’s all that matters.

9 Likes

It’s not that hard-I’ve managed with 4 kids and we both work, me intermittently. Sounds nuts but it’s not. It’s just how we live. Husband is government and teleworks and I’m a nurse. My eldest helps now as well.

My advice is make a list of pros and cons and have a serious conversation about your “why”.

Be realist and open to his concerns, he may come around.

3 Likes

Just do it tell him why and tell him ur doing it no matter what it’s not up to him if your with the kids anyway

In the beginning my husband wasnt 100 percent on board. We talked about it several times a day. It wasnt normal. We were both in public school. So it was a completely different world. We have a 5 year old and a 2 year old. He sees how much dedication, time and effort I’ve put into teaching the oldest this year and is completely on board to were he is proud to tell everyone we homeschool. Our oldest is thriving and learning everyday. Even our youngest. We also do sports to get him out and interacting with kids his age. I say keep talking to him. I bothered my husband so much until he said ok let’s give it a try.

2 Likes

We use an online program so it makes it super easy for us. We print out worksheets daily. And I add extras like Spanish or crafts or an exercise program. I’ve heard about parents using workbooks too so I’ll be looking for some

Look Into Connections Academy For Your State…It’s A Brick & Mortar School That You Do At Home

That’s something you & your partner need to figure out. It’s both of your decision & you need to come to an agreement. Maybe compromise & do trial semester. Where I live you don’t have to enroll them from public school for x amount of weeks while you decide if you really want to home school or not.

Judging by how this post is spelled I get it

13 Likes

Ask him why he is against it and tell him why you are so for it. How do the kids feel? What are their ages?

1 Like

What are his reasons? You’re not giving his reasons.

2 Likes

Another question… even though a good idea do you know all the resources you will need and how much work it is. Do you have the patience or the ability to do such a thing. I know I dont

They can’t be sheltered. I’m on his side. They deserve to live lives aside from you. Yes, it’s scary… but just going to the gas station is scary. Don’t shelter them. They will hate you in the end. “The road to he’ll is paved with good intentions”

13 Likes

Why won’t he let you? You don’t give a reason, and I think it’s really important to know why. Have you picked out a curriculum already? If so, does he have a problem with the one you picked out? Have you NOT picked out any curriculum, and he has a problem with the fact that you just want to pull them out even though you have no idea what you’re going to do yet?

He could have very valid reasons for saying no. I can’t judge this situation without knowing the reasons. So please message in an update.

5 Likes

I homeschool my kids, I have been for a full year now. My kids were actually behind when I pulled them out of public school. I did look into private school but our county does not have any at all, the closest one is 45 minutes from our home. When I pulled my two out my youngest was going into 3rd and couldn’t tell time, count money or read at grade level. Now he can do all that plus he started doing multiplication. Each state Is different on rules and regulations so make sure to research that before even trying. There are CO-OPs that you can join for the kids to get socialization, ours meets twice a week and then also field trips. The curriculum I use is free and it exceeds the state requirements. My kids ended public school in 2nd and 3rd grade when I tested them at the end of our school year they placed: Math 5th and 6th, Science both 5th, Language arts 3rd and 4th (which are the grades they should be in), Social Studies both 5th. So when we start back after this summer they will just be starting where we left off. If they were in public school they would just now be ending 3rd and 4th grade. When we were all sick I would just mark it off our calendar and then added it to the end to make sure we had 170 days total. When we had a death in the family we were able to go and not have to worry about school or missing days or anything like that.

8 Likes

Let him know sports can be done through the local Recreational Dept.The kids can play all sports and compete against others when home schooled.Its not like your isolating them from the world…

1 Like

I have this problem… but he is step dad… so I did it anyways. It’s a constant fight tho…. He is of the old mindset that they are missing out on the way we grew up with friends, in regard to social things… but the truth is, they are missing out on those things anyways, because school and friends relationships and interactions are not what they used to be when we were teens (he and I are in our 40’s). For me, I don’t like the risk, I don’t like being told when I can and can’t take my kids somewhere. I don’t like not knowing exactly what they are being taught, I don’t like them wasting time on busy work, and test taking… I want them to learn, explore interests, REST, and enjoy being young.

2 Likes

I homeschooled this year but I’m thinking of sending them back the next year or doing online public school find out his reasons and or try to do research and assure him make him feel better about it

Living in fear isn’t living at all so get over it and send them to school

4 Likes

I technically homeschool my kids BUT we have an amazing community building where EVERYONE helps out… since we have about 80 kids who homeschool in our area all the parents come together… 3 parents for each grade plus 3 for gym and music plus we offer after school fun activities…that way the kids aren’t at home but we know they are safe

4 Likes

I just can’t get over the word “let” … do what you want they are your kids you carried them for 9 months and more than likely do 80% of things for them…

9 Likes

I’ll be homeschooling and it’s something I discussed with my wife before we had our son. I agree with you!

2 Likes

I am with your husband, there is far too much as parents we can not teach our children, that they learn at school, apart from the academics. They would be missing so much , memories, friendships too much

16 Likes

Ask him why and go from there. Its a decision for both of you to make together nor just one.

1 Like

You being scared and sheltering that much will not help your children. We need strong minded, socialized, proud of who they are and the strength to show it children. Let them be educated in more ways then one. We’re here to protect, encourage and support them.

11 Likes

Kids are too bubble wrapped by home school they need to face challenges with other kids and learn about life at different cultures home schooling is not the answer

7 Likes

He should be refusing to let them go to public schools. I would just do it and let their spots fill then he wouldn’t have a choice but to let you.

2 Likes

I homeschool for a lot of reasons. But an unlikely school shooting isn’t one of them. If that’s your concern tho, it holds equal weight to his. I’m glad I’m a single mom. I wanted my kid in private school or homeschooled. And I had him in private school and now I homeschool. His father would’ve never gone for it. He was too controlling. That’s why he’s gone.

5 Likes

Maybe he can’t afford to support you staying home with them? Do you need to work?

1 Like

I would need more information. A girl I knew said she would have to homeschool her daughter as her daughter would get killed. Well turns out the girl was an extremely racist woman who was raising her daughter to be the same (the little girl was 2 at the time). She made lots of comments against my children for being half Hispanic half white. I told her she was right if she was raising her daughter to be an ignorant racist her daughter might get killed. I have 9 kids and couldn’t homeschool. The pandemic with schools being closed was way too hard.

1 Like

The adult world is far scarier.
Kids shouldn’t be exclued from forming friendships, learning life isn’t fair, learning basic skills parents forget to teach.
Kids need to learn away from home.

1 Like

Throw the whole husband out.

10 Likes

There are so many great online schools. Look up Connections Academy for your state. You are also a parent, he doesn’t get full say. My children will never set foot in a public school, not with how many great options there are.

5 Likes

The school shootings and shit makes us want to .But to really get down to teaching them what they need .And the bonds they make.I know when it came down to homeschool during shutdown.They didn’t listen to me like they do the teachers. Can’t wrap them in a bubble.Its no life to be shut away .It’s scary as shit I feel ya .But my opinion my kids don’t like parts of school.But have amazing fun stories each day .

Whelp then I guess he’ll have to register them, bring them and get them :woman_shrugging:t2: I have chosen to homeschool my 3 youngest. 1/3/5

2 Likes

I HATE the word “LET!”

11 Likes

What is his reasoning for not wanting you to homeschool?

1 Like

Can he provide you with any valid reasons? I’d homeschool in a heartbeat if I were able

To be refused means he has more power than you. No man has more power than you as a woman, wife, mother, etc. You do what is right for your kids since you are the one putting in a higher percentage of work & yourself into raising your kids the way you want to raise them. If he can’t understand that, well, he’ll get over it or leave. Either way, that’s on him.

9 Likes

What are his reasons? What do your kids want? Are you wanting to truly homeschool or do an online program?

1 Like

If he won’t “let you”
Then I assume he’s doing all of the school runs? Packing lunches? Dressing the kids for school?
If not then it’s not really his right to tell you yes or no.
You’re a team but he doesn’t have the final say. Especially if he is doing none of the work.

5 Likes

I’m homeschooling my son and this is one of the many reasons I chose too…he can make friends in karate, jiu jitsu, gymnastics wrestling, Boy Scouts ect

3 Likes

Half of these comments on here explain completely why people dont “think” kids should be homeschooled. Your husband probably believes these lies as well. Look up some statistics on homeschoolers vs. Public schooled kids. Show him proof! My boyfriend was very leary of it to until he started looking into it. Also Kirk Cameron has a new movie coning out in June that would be great for you two to watch together.

8 Likes

You do not need his permission to educate your children yourself. If he demands they go to school… be sure that he is at home to take them, and at school to pick them up.
Personally I couldn’t homeschool my kids …Covid taught me very quickly that I’m not capable. However I am proud of you for wanting to give it a go. Follow your heart. Especially if you live in America

7 Likes

I did it this year for my 8th grader.
They started video school in the middle of her 6th grade year and her grades improved…
It was really nice to have her home!
She’s asked to go back to traditional school next year for high-school and while I’m torn, I understand.
Set them up for success, that’s the goal, no matter your choice of schooling.

1 Like