My in-laws constantly overstep their boundaries: Thoughts?

My baby calls my mother in law mama, theres a slight difference between mama and mumma!
I think u are over thinking and being a lil over the top. They obviously love your child which is all any mum could want. Maybe sitting down like adults and having a lil discussion about boundaries with them might be a good idea :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

i completely understand where you’re coming from because things like this used to upset me. we lived with my in laws for a while, i’m not going to lie it was hard and sometimes i felt as though they were overstepping but i took a step back and realized they weren’t doing it to try and take my place or because they thought their way was better but because we aren’t living in the same world as they lived in when they raised their children. things were so much simpler back in the day. you are definitely not wrong for feeling the way you do though and if your not feeling comfortable with how things are going try talking to your mother in law and let her know.

1 Like

Coming from a grandmother’s perspective and one who at onetime babysat 3 little ones, I can tell you while they were in my care I taught them things. Unfortunately today both parents are working, so the first of many things might be with the caregiver. I love my grandchildren and wanted to help them in anyway I could. I personally don’t want to raise them, I want to be of help. It’s almost as exciting for the grandparents to see the child learn to do things as the parents. Be happy you have the help you do. Not all grandparents are involved with their grandchildren. It takes a village. Not one of the parents I every babysat for complained that I would take the time to help them teach their children do things.

1 Like

I was with you until the walking thing. No, she shouldn’t be undermining you. No, she shouldn’t be answering to mama (she should redirect that). But her helping the baby to walk? That one isn’t crossing a boundary…anyone who spends time with your baby will be doing that at this age.

3 Likes

I will never have a DIL because I don’t have sons, I always wanted one but obviously I would not be suited to deal with a DIL. :joy:

1 Like

Jesus Christ. Stop being such a sensitive person. The MIL probably sees you aren’t even trying to do it. Damn. If it hurts you so much then hurry up and teach him before she does.

If u live with them. Its natural for them to help him with what ever.dont be so petty.they love him to

My son calls my mom either nana or mom. He picks up on what we say. Sometimes he calls me “Kia” and his dad “babe” lol. I overlook it because I know he doesn’t fully understand. I get where it can be a pissing contest, so work on moving out. That’s the only way that you can fully get out of that. If you guys are both working and she’s watching the baby 8 hours then there might be a lot of things you might miss in order to sacrifice having your own place. If your a SAHM and husband is thinking its not a big deal, then why don’t you ask if she can help you help the baby walk. It could be a bond that all three of you guys can have.

I know how you feel. My parents and younger sister were watching my one year old while I was in the hospital hospital having my daughter. He turned 1 two days after I had my daughter. They taught him how to walk while I was in the hospital. I was broken hearted. I wanted to teach him how to walk.

1 Like

Girl y’all need to get your own place as soon as you can. I deal with this every time my in-laws have the kids over for the weekend. You have every right to your feelings. Try talking to them and see if they understand.

2 Likes

First off that is just a reaction you’re overlooking things she has she’s trying to get your kid to walk thank God that she is secondly move you’re in her house her rules I think you’re being petty on some degree overstepping make a set of rules tell him this is what he’s allowed to do where she’s allowed to do and that’s it such as bedtime no snacks certain snacks only things like that yes grandparents are going to meet mischievious once in awhile and buy ice cream when they’re not supposed to that’s part of being a grandparent throw up

Tell them politely you had your chance with your kids, now its ours.

Gramma answering to mom yeah I would be pissed. However the in laws watching him while you’re at work or you’re gone they’re gonna try to help him crawl, walk, eat solid food blah blah blah.
This might cause a problem they might kick you out but probably won’t because they want the baby. Sit down and talk to them in a civil manner tell them this is your plan this is your (you & hubby) ideas, plan, wants & expected. There will be fighting, yelling hurt feelings, they might tell you to get out be prepared.

I’m with you the whole way. She should not be answering to him saying mama, and if she was to answer him she should say it’s Grandma but what it is baby, or something like that. Now on the walking stuff, it’s not bad that she is helping him unless she is trying to see his first steps and leave you out if that is what she is doing then yes you have every right to be mad.

Why are you living there? :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

My daughter is with my in laws alot while my husband and I work. I have struggled with the same stuff! It is very hard line cause they want the absolute best for our kids just as we do as parents and they may not see it as over stepping but as helping.

1 Like

Grandma needs to take a few seats. She already had her turn.

Move out. Problem solved. You can’t live in someone’s house and expect them to respect your wishes. It’s sad but that’s just how people are. Once you move out they will stop!

2 Likes

Have a family meeting,tell them they are grandparents not mom,and dad.They can choose what they want to be called other than mom and dad.Set some boundaries up.Her helping him to walk is a good thing.Honey it takes a village.And move out,her house,her rules.

Unsubscribed,tired of all the mean things ppl say instead of actually helping.sad ppl ,sad lives

How dare they try and help your child develop?
Seriously?
Maybe she answers to mama because the child can’t say grandma yet…
Any time ANYONE tries to teach your child something you should be grateful

7 Likes

Get your own place??

4 Likes

Maybe have a talk with them and say if they can’t respect rules and boundaries they cant be around child unsupervised without you… I completely understand why you’re upset… It’s your baby that should be something you teach baby. Stand up for yourself girl!! You’ve got this

If that’s how you feel move out.

You don’t mind mooching off them but expect them not to form a close bond with your baby? She’s probably just playing with him

4 Likes

Things like walking for the first time is devastating (especially for first time parents) to miss, explain that to her and just ask her to stop

Be grateful, it’s time out for you make the most of it, there is no one harming your child just helping get that helping. Be grateful or get your own home and you’ll miss them and their “tiresome” help.

2 Likes

Your feelings are legitimate. It’s tough living with parents/in-laws once you have children. However, if everything else works out, be thankful for the extra help. :slightly_smiling_face:

Totally understand why you’d feel hurt. I was in the same boat as you and it really does feel like a slap in the face. On the other hand, I know it’s hard right now but what I did is put myself in her shoes. She LOVES my son soo much and would do absolutely anything for him. I didn’t have that growing up and never had my grandparents around. She may just be trying to help you out and maybe sees how insanely exhausting it is being a mom. In the end, I just let it go and let her teach him things as long as it’s within boundaries. After all, she did raise one hell of a man! (My husband). Lol.

3 Likes

Get your own place then.

3 Likes

He will walk when he’s ready and able to walk not when she MAKES him walk. Pick your battles, some are just not worth fighting about.

move out and get your own place… problem solved… if you live with family they are going to treat the kid the same as they would theirs… sorry just the way people are…

They are obviously spending time with your little one…be happy they love your child…I get you want to do it but they are the grandparents and you do live with them… until you two are able to have your own place accept the help…maybe do things together with your MIL. . I’m sure she doesn’t even think she’s doing anything wrong by helping

Move out lol :thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

oh for the love of God !! overstepping the mark by interacting, loving and encouraging your child her grandchild, maybe you are overstepping the mark by continuing to live off her in her house try a little gratitude obviously they care about yous otherwise why would they tolerate the sharing of their home their life, time and affection seems you really could do a lot worse not having anyone to support you, like having a child that has grandparent who doesn’t give a hoot about them

3 Likes

Pros and cons to living with/without people.

2 Likes

Don’t let anyone make you feel guilty. It’s 100% better to not have people to “help” when they spend their time trying to undermine you as a parent.

Do you know how much I would love if my mother did that kind of stuff with my kids? My in laws on the other hand are a big part of raising my girl and sometimes I let them over step me. Like they know I dont like giving my kids a huge amount of sugar but nanny likes to do the sneakies and give them some and why not?? Its almost a grandparents right. After all,you could wake up tomoro to the news that they’re gone and then you may regret getting angry over such little things… it takes a village after all…

3 Likes

Just because she lives with in laws doesn’t mean she depends on them. Y’all don’t know what she pays. I loved with my MIL because she couldn’t afford to live on her own with our raise in rent here in Seattle…
And just because she loves with MIL and gets babysitting help doesn’t mean grandma is allowed to respond to mama.
You need to have a discussion with her. Honestly if it was me I would start my making sure she clearly hears baby saying mama or correct baby and say grandma in front of her so she catches on and if she doesn’t care to notice or correct her behavior then it’s clear that it is intentional…

The only advice I have is you need to move out. You can’t be the woman of the house if that position is already taken. As wrong as I think she is, it’s her house.

2 Likes

If you live under someone else’s roof, you live by their rules. If you are unhappy then get your own place. Get over yourself.

1 Like

At least they are involved grandparents. But I take it that you would complain either way. If they weren’t involved you would be upset too. So be grateful that they are also allowing you a place to stay 🤦

4 Likes

She sounds like an excited grandma. If you dont want her help raising the child then you need to get your own place.

6 Likes

Omg :rofl::rofl: I can’t with this posts anymore!!! I feel as if Ashton Kutcher is video taping me

1 Like

I disagree with most of the comments. I would be upset if this situation happened to me, especially the part about trying to make the baby walk. That is a special moment that should be shared by the parents :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

3 Likes

I’m so excited my broken Marriage been restored my ex lover is back after he left me and our kids for another woman. i was so happy to met DR Friday how he help many people to bring there Lover back so i contact him to help me too. that was how DR.friday help me to bring my lover back… A big thank to you DR. Friday because I never thought my ex lover will be back to me so quickly with your spell. You are the best and world greatest. if you are here and you need your Ex Lover back or your lover moved to another woman, do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster now. Here’s his contact: Email Dr Friday00@gmail. com Or WhatsApp +2348124948053

3 Likes

She shouldn’t be answering to “mom” at all, ever. As far as her helping him grow, progress and get stronger and other interactions, be grateful. The only to “solve” these issues is to move out. So in the meantime, be patient, let her love her grandchild and express your gratitude for her love. In the long run, it will benefit all of you to have her. Good luck

You can’t make a child walk. A child walks when ready!! It takes a village to raise a child so no need to be jealous of that. Be thankful your son receives all the love

5 Likes

Les premiers pas d’un bébé sont pour la maman et le papa. C’est un étape que les parents ne doivent manquer sous aucun prétexte ca ne reviendra jamais .:smiling_imp:

1 Like

I get the walking thing but it’s still not a big deal

Why dont u tell ur mil.im sure she won’t do anything to harm ur son…be grateful .or get over yourself.

You need to move out, Get over yourself.

1 Like

Don’t listen to anyone on here telling u to grow up or be grateful! Ur feelings have nothing to do w that! I get it 100% that’s the reason I made sure we moved out of mils house before we had our son bc ik we would butt heads. Ur feelings are completely valid! Being a ftm makes u feel things that might seem crazy to some & even urself sometimes but they’re ur feelings! U can’t just get over them. I would suggest moving out asap bc it’s only gonna get worse. & everyone, grandparents or not, should respect y’alls decisions for ur child period. Let them know that if they can’t then their time will be limited or supervised. Idc how many times people tell u well I’ve have so many kids & they’re still alive or its not gonna hurt or I’m grandma etc. EVERYONE who cares about u & ur child should respect ur PARENTING! I literally hate the debate about it bc how is someone else gonna tell u what goes w UR kid :unamused:

3 Likes

No you should move out… I understand the MIL overstepped by answering to mama instead of Grandma but the onther stuff Is silly and I think you just need your space.

1 Like

Operative words “we live with my in laws”. :woman_facepalming::woman_shrugging:

Move out!!! And you should be thankful!!

3 Likes

Take a step back and relax. Family is supposed to do things to help. However answering to momma wouldn’t fly but teaching to walk? Ok!

1 Like

I would never let my g/kids call me mum? Thats weird. But without even thinking when my 5th grandchild was around 5 months i started teaching her to crawl whenever i saw her.
I never would have dreamed i was interferring :sleepy: but i would want my kids/kids-in-law to tell me if i was.
I dont want to take a minute away from their parental rights and joys.
Im happy to just be given my own special granny moments.
Maybe have a chat with your mum-in-law. Tell her you love her enthusiasm but that you are feeling like your missing out on some mummy moments because you are all living together.
Im sure she will understand, afterall she was a new mum once and im sure she didnt want her mum-in-law “taking over” either :sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart:

1 Like

You had me at, “we live with my in-Laws.” Then shut the hell up and be thankful that they are putting a roof over your son’s head! Get over yourself!

1 Like

How is she “trying” to make the baby walk. Holding baby’s hands?

I mean I’m probably going against the grain a little but if my mum or mil was to not correct my baby when she was younger that she was grandma NOT mum I would be so upset/angry, all they have to do is say “no honey I’m nanny” or whatever your kids will call her🤷🏼‍♀️
BUT then there’s them helping your son try to walk SO WHAT there just trying to help. They are not doing it to get under your skin, they are doing it because they love there grand baby and want to see him grow and walk… there is NOTHING wrong with that, are you even trying? Are you actually getting him to walk? Or are they stepping up because you haven’t tried yet and they think he is of age to start to learn?
If you don’t like them HELPING then you should move out :woman_shrugging:t3: you sound incredibly selfish, they are giving you a place to live and a helping hand when you need it, please be grateful
Yes you can be upset if that’s how you feel but don’t go making trouble because of it, if it’s such a big issue to you speak to them calmly and kindly about what you would rather them help out with and what you would rather do on your own and if that doesn’t work go find your own place so it’s no longer a issue

1 Like

Don’t like it move out on your own

You have a right to feel any way you feel. And here’s the thing… No matter if people online agree with you, or tell you to be thankful you have help, or anything like that… Your feelings should be validated no matter what they are. I cannot stress this enough, and it will always be my advice… Communicate with her. And your husband needs to always have your back (within reason).

2 Likes

One more thing… All of you that thinks she should shut her mouth and swallow her feelings because she’s living with her in laws…why? So she lives with someone else, so they can do what they want with her kid and she needs to take it? This isn’t about her following and respecting their home… This is her kid.

7 Likes

Then move out… what she did is what most grandparents would!

1 Like

I thi k bring a mother in law is really hard. You should cut her some slack…unless she is controlling. She is probably just trying to help and not aware of your feelings. Tell her how you feel as communication is crucial in any relationship.

Your feelings are 100% valid!!! Just because your husband doesn’t understand, doesn’t mean your feelings aren’t valid.

They are very clearly overstepping boundaries, especially if you’ve talked to them about it and they still do it. That’s a clear sign of them doing it on purpose.

While I do agree with everyone saying you should move out, I understand why it might not be an option for y’all. However, this will probably keep going on until y’all do move out. So please consider that. :purple_heart: Good luck momma.

2 Likes

:purple_heart: Honestly, I think she is just being a Grandma. I would not rock the boat. Trust me you do not want to ruin relationships between your in-laws. When you hear your child call your Mother-in-law Mom, just say no silly that is Grandma I am Mom and tickle your little one. Keep it lighthearted or you will regret it. :heart:

2 Likes

Nope you need to sit everybody down

1 Like

Yet she’s good enough to put a roof over your head. If you don’t like it then move out. She’s not doing anything wrong she’s a grandmother and this is what grandma’s do

1 Like

New mothers are really possessive of things that don’t make any difference who does what. Will you complain when she helps you potty train? I think not! Move Out! What your in-laws do is done out of love. Accept it and shut up :zipper_mouth_face:

4 Likes

Grandparents are a blessing, not a curse. Count your blessings, after all, they are putting a roof over your head. Absolutely nothing wrong with them assisting your son, THEIR GRANDSON.

2 Likes

Just because you live with her does not mean she can take your joy away from being a mom for the first time. Sorry not sorry.

In the same situation with my 3 year old. he still has issues with calling nana and pop mom n dad sometimes. but not much. Just make sure you calmly have a convo with everyone about it.
to those commenting to move out on their own. some people cant just up and leave and get their own places.

Be thankful for the help. Talk to her respectfully about the Momma issue , but the helping baby walk, all grandparents do that. It’s nice to have a village to help. If she’s controlling move out.

3 Likes

It takes a village to raise a child

2 Likes

No big deal. Embrace them as long as they are nice to you. It’s hard to find these days

1 Like

That’s something that comes along with having them pick up the shelter and care responsibility. They help get the moment, they share the moment.

In laws or even any grandparents really. Can go over board, but all anyone does is help the child progress even if it is working on walking cant expect everyone to just hold a child. No there going to get them moving somehow. Just like talking. Its there grand baby. Now as far as mama yes that needs to corrected, not sure why they would want it any different. But even still my kids get confused or tounge tied and say the wrong thing there kids, it’s a part of learning.

1 Like

Get over it…your in law’s will never take the place of Mommy and Daddy. Be grateful that your little one will know and love them and be loved. Try not to sweat the small stuff.

3 Likes

You’re the mother. Not her. Lay down the rules.

I would say best bet is to move out. Like find a way make it happen cause it just gets worse from there. Im saying this from experience.

Dear Lord… some of these women… heaven help me… this is your first child, so it’s normal to want everything to be first with you… but come on… they are the grandparents… allow them to help… what’s wrong with that… I have 5 kids, and let me tell you, when my mother-in-law wants to help with something, I’m like Thank the Lord… she adores all my kids, but my oldest daughter is special to her, because she’s the first granddaughter… My 4th child shares her birthday, and one day she came to visit… he gave his first few steps with her… I was so happy she got him to do it, I didn’t care if it wasn’t with me… grandparents are a blessing in a child’s life… I wish my dad was more hands on, but he’s little more than a stranger… I believe the more people that love your child and are actually there, the better for that child… I’m not saying there aren’t things that they shouldn’t be doing, but allow them to atleast help where they can…

1 Like

With the development of the child it’s great all family want to pitch in.

I understand completely. You are not over reacting at all. Have a chat with her about boundaries and how these movements are special to you and you don’t want to miss them.

Nobody’s gonna “make your son walk” :joy: and also, you live with them, can’t have all the say if you don’t have your own place.

Maybe mama is his/her way of saying Grandma, and Mommy is you. Did you ever hear the expression “It takes a village to raise a child”? well these grandparents are doing their part, you should be appreciative. Get a life or move out of there house.

I have three beautiful grandchildren, I do understand why you would be angry if she is answering to mom. I also understand that sometimes we need the help as being beginner parents and staying with your parents are in laws is needed. But as a parent and now as a grandparent I would never cross boundaries unless I had too. Just be honest Express how you feel with love and use your words wisely. This is your child and your husband needs to stand behind you all the way. He needs to focus on getting y’all into your own home so you can make decisions on what’s best for your child at that moment. If he isn’t supporting you and he has no intentions on moving out and the grandmother is over stepping trying to take contole than you are not in a healthy relationship. Prayers for you and I wish you the best.

I too would be upset for someone else to answer to mommy, no matter who that person was. The word “mommy/mom”, that name, that title, is something special especially to a new mother. Everyone should respect that. The walking part I do know how you feel on wanting to be the one that taught them how to do that but I also feel she is trying to help. The best advice I can give you is to have a heart to heart with your mother in law and explain why you feel this way and remind her of how exiting it was for her when she had her first child. Maybe then she will be more understanding and remember how special those moments are and how big of a deal it is that you want to be there when the “firsts” happen as well. Good luck to you all and for all of you being so rude don’t be so quick to judge. Nobody’s perfect. She came here for advise not criticism or for you to jump down her throat. You don’t have to be hateful to give advise to someone that is obviously in need of it. Love and hugs to you and the entire family.

Dont like it grow up n get your own place gah so tired of these whiny new generation parents

You sound dumb. That’s your “big” problem, her helping teach your son to walk? You’ll miss your village once it’s gone. Go ahead n move out n watch your baby “walk” in your own house if it bothers u that much!

7 Likes

Move out problem solved…if you are old enough to have a child you are old enough to live independantly. If you dont or cant want to do this.then sux it up. Its that simple, they are generous.enough to have you in their home and obviously love their grandchild. U might appreciate their help when u dont automatically have it.

2 Likes

Go get ur own place.

21 Likes

This part of the issue eith shared spaces, you are in their home. Move out and get your own place. You cant expect them not to play with the baby?

10 Likes

Just love that you have family that wants to be with your kid. As hard as that is. But you are in her space. Let the little things slide, and pick your battles. Or, just have another kid and you’ll realize how important these little things actually are.

8 Likes

Their house their rules.

3 Likes

I think the “making”/ teaching to walk is just a normal thing. Its just like playing with a baby. You just do it. I don’t think that is oversteppjng boundaries… Maybe you and your husband spend more time and teaching the baby then.

10 Likes

I think you’re really lucky to have family supporting your family and that loves your family so much. I think you could let them know what things are important to you though.

5 Likes

She can’t MAKE your son walk, he will do it when he’s ready and if that’s when you’re not there then it can’t be helped. The in-laws are allowing you to live there with a baby when they should be enjoying their older years, I’m sure they help out a lot with baby as well, I would be grateful! x

11 Likes

Yeah, get your own place ASAP!

1 Like

Get your own house or deal :woman_shrugging:t3:

3 Likes