My in laws got a dog that shouldn't be around kids: Advice?

If your mother and father in law decided to get a dog that isn’t supposed to be around children even though you have a 2 year old and 6 month… is it petty to say my grandchildren will not be going to your house anymore?

80 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. My in laws got a dog that shouldn't be around kids: Advice?

What’s the reasoning behind the dog not being around kids.? This is very vague

15 Likes

I would definitely not let my children around it. I have a black lab and he’s not been used to being around children and I have a 10 month old grandbaby now and he’s not too fond of it so I’m very careful when he’s here he goes in his crate

4 Likes

I guess it would depend on the reasoning is the dog known to hurt kids ? Because no breed is specifically not around kids.
If its because of behavioral problems then I wouldn’t let my kids over either unless just a short trip and dog is somewhere secure away from the kids

3 Likes

No. They should not be around those dogs

1 Like

Why is the dog not suitable for children? Has it previously attacked before? Is it just a breed you don’t necessarily like? There’s too much missing info. At the end of the day, your kids are your kids & you protect them however you see fit.

7 Likes

No. Protect your babies first

What’s wrong with the dog? Aggressive…jumping….?

Is there an actual reason behind why the dog shouldn’t? Or are you just judging a breed?

13 Likes

So I adopted a dog and we were told that he shouldn’t be around kids. He loves his girl (my daughter now aged 17) and any kids he meets. A lot of shelters say that because of liability reasons - and a lot of dogs are labeled that based off of behaviors shown in a shelter. More times than not, dogs blossom when they have a home.

3 Likes

Is the dog aggressive I take it? (Obviously no kids should be left with a dog anyway) but if you truly fear for their safety I wouldn’t… just tell your in laws if they want a visit they’ll have to put the dog in another room / out the garden.

3 Likes

Maybe thats why they got the dog :woman_shrugging:

8 Likes

You are the mother, do what you think is best for your kids. Sounds like you already made a decision :hibiscus:

Tell them you want them to put the dog in a bedroom or something when your kids are there. I always lock my dogs up when other kids come around and I trust my dogs but just to be safe

2 Likes

Your babies come first. Always.

I need more info. Why shouldn’t it be around children? If it’s a history of problems from the dog, the dog should be crated if you go over there and your shouldn’t let your kids be there without you.
If it’s a breed reason, there’s no such thing as a breed problem unless it’s a high maintenance dog that needs experienced owners like a shepard, Akita, Malinois, etc.
If they aren’t willing to crate the dog when the kids are there, don’t go. That’s asking for problems.

2 Likes

You left a bunch of shit out, you’re dumb

If it’s a bull dog, they actually used to be nannies and if they have the right owner, they’re the sweetest breed. :white_heart:

6 Likes

You have every right to not want your kids around it. Dogs can switch up at any moment

1 Like

Have they just gotten this dog and are planning to train them??

I truly hope you are not just labeling this dog because of it’s breed.
If it is physically aggressive or dangerous then that’s understandable.

7 Likes

Can the dog be put outside or in a spare room?

1 Like

Their house, their dog, their choice. On the flip side, your kids, your choice. Maybe they could put the dog outside or gate a room to put him in?

3 Likes

Why shouldn’t the dog be around kids? What deems it not safe?

Why jump to not letting your kids there. Maybe they plan on separating the dog from your children.

2 Likes

If the dog does not do well around children I would not allow them around the dog. You can not take a chance with your babies, and they shouldn’t be either if that’s the case. :heart:

2 Likes

Just make sure the dog is secure I have dogs I put up when I have company not a big deal

Absolutely NOT petty. I don’t care what anyone says, I’m wary of dogs in general and I am not taking chances around my kids and dogs. I’ve seen way too many dog attacks and too many kids be seriously injured or worse. Not worth the risk, if there’s reason to suspect the dog will
Bite etc.

1 Like

That was their choice. They will be visiting you, without the dog. My adoptive mother’s parents had aggressive Cocker Spaniels the whole time I was growing up. The dogs had to be tied up in the kitchen while we were there so that I wouldn’t be bitten. As it was, if they heard me talking or laughing they would growl and bark. I would not go there with your kids.

Has it been said that the dog isn’t suitable to be around children I mean need more info to go off of don’t know what’s the reasoning the dog isn’t suppose to be around kids,is it a breed you just don’t like or what if it’s said the dog isn’t suitable to be around kids then when y’all go to visit make it clear the dog is to be put away while your children are there or they aren’t gonna be anymore you are mom and you know what’s best for your babies and if they don’t respect your wishes then I wouldn’t be going back plain and simple but hopefully if they know the dog isn’t suitable to be around children and they choose to get the dog anyways then they’re going to take all precautions as possible to make sure they no kids get hurt by the dog good luck

2 Likes

Why can’t it be around kids? That’s a very important piece of info that was left out. If they are willing to put the dog in a crate, outside or a spare room while your kids are there then there shouldn’t be a problem, if they refuse to then tell then you’re kids will not come around.

3 Likes

Are you just not a dog person or labeling a certain breed? This question lacks information.

5 Likes

Gatherings would not be held near the dog unless it was crated during these events. Meet elsewhere where the dog isn’t, you’re home, parks, restaurants. Children always first over pets. No it’s not petty. It’s keeping the kids safe above all.

Not if the dog is there at the same time

Nope their your kids and you have the right to say who they should be around especially animals. If that dog was to bite your kid that would be traumatizing

Does the dog have a history of aggression?? N are they not willing to put said dog up when kids are over? Those would be good reason to keep kids away

Not unless they have it locked in a room during out visits and even then I wouldn’t want to go there :woman_shrugging:t4:

Depends why it’s “not supposed to be around kids” like was there a behavioral issue or do you just not like the breed of dog?

6 Likes

Personally that’s YOUR CHOICE! If I was in that situation and my daughter law said that. It would hurt, but I wouldn’t get rid of my dogs. Send pictures. I raised my kids already!

Guess it really depends…
Did they offer to seperate the kids and dog?
Why should the dog not be around kids? Is there a history or is it just a size things (some are gentle giants but rescues will still advise seperate to be cautious).
Have you had any interaction with this dog?
If the dog is dangerous and they’re not willing to take precautions then of couse I wouldn’t send the kiddos there.

2 Likes

Nope. It’s being a good parent thinking about safety for your children first.

7 Likes

If the dogs have issued then I totally agree with u. Least u know about the problems

Nope. Accidents happen. Trust your gut.

Then don’t have your children around said dog?

Like, this is common sense, are you okay?

5 Likes

Why shouldn’t it be around kids? Does this dog have a history or something

2 Likes

You are the parent and you know what’s best for your kids and if you feel like they won’t be safe around the dog then tell your in laws flat out my kids will not be going to your house anymore and if you want to see them then come over to my house WITHOUT the dog

Is it a rescue dog that is known for aggression towards kids or are you assuming it will be due to the breed? If the dog has aggression with kids then I would agree not to have the kids near the dog unless it is on a leash and controlled at the very least. I gave up my dog when I got pregnant because she was extremely aggressive with kids and I didnt want to take that chance for her safety and the baby’s. Before everyone freaks out she is living her best life on a horse farm with a beautiful older couple and I get updates all the time.

Back to your situation lol if you are just assuming due to the breed then you are being ridiculous.

1 Like

That’s why you invite them to your house, instead of you bringing your kids over there lol problem solved.

I would say give the dog a chance and supervise then made an educated decision. We have the most loving “vicious “ pit bull ever

1 Like

Keep your kids home :woman_shrugging: I’m sure the in laws are gonna be happy with their new dog :heart:

4 Likes

I can’t answer this question without more information. There is no specific breed that should not be around children. Unless theres a specific reason to believe the dog is dangerous, something the specific dog did, then I’d say yes it’s petty. It would be petty to tell them they can’t have their grandkids at their house because you don’t like the breed of dog they picked.

4 Likes

Yeah, I wouldn’t be sending them. If they wanna see them, they can come over to where my kids won’t be in danger

It’s not petty to keep your children safe…

1 Like

What exactly makes you think its not supposed to be around kids? It’s their house so it’s their choice just as they’re your children you don’t have to take them there and require them to visit you. But I still want to know how the dog isn’t allowed around children. If the dog is violent I totally would keep your children from your home. If it’s just the dog just didn’t grow up with children and as long as children don’t bother the dog the grandparents can put the dog in another room. But if it’s about the breed, honestly I have met the sweetest pitbulls. One I had loved my children dearly and would hurt anyone that she thought would hurt my babies. Best dog ever.

2 Likes

Depends on what you mean…is it aggressive or are you assuming it will be? Either way, just don’t take the kids around the dog. Simple.

I have no time to answer…dogs have no interest in your kids unless shown…pathetic and please get rid of them NOW.
You are one of the saddest humans walking :walking_woman: this earth…go get a life you honestly make me so angry…
A love of an animal worth 1000x more than human…and no I won’t retract anything…you dear are a failure

4 Likes

Its not petty but I think there are compromises. I had a dog that was good with kids, but not adults. I put him away when people came over. My late father in law had a mean little dog and he locked him up when we came over.

Depends on reason. If it’s aggression. Nope. I wouldn’t take my kids. Sorry. Come over Orwell meet in public. If you lock it up and something happens where it gets loose or the child gets through the barrier you’re facing very preventable issues

1 Like

What kinda dog? Do you know the dog as issues. My kids were raised with dogs best thing that can happen to them

1 Like

As a grandmother I wouldnt have a dog thats not supposed to be around children. How do you walk it if its aggressive towards kids ? I wouldnt take the risk.
If its because of the breed of dog yes you’re being ridiculous…

1 Like

Safe to say they don’t want kids around anymore.

1 Like

I mean it’s their house, if they want a dog they can get one. Just like your kids your rules.

Are you just being spiteful because you don’t like dogs or the specific breed of dog? Or has it been stated that the dog is dangerous around children?

You didn’t post any information that would be needed to answer this.

Although, there’s a pretty simple compromise of separating the dog when the kids are around. You sound more spiteful than anything.

2 Likes

Not petty at all. If it isn’t supposed to be around children there is undoubtedly a good reason. Unless you can trust that your parents will always properly secure the dog in an area where there is no chance in getting to the kids. But you have to trust that they would truly do that every single time and to be honest I trust very few dog owners to do that.

Where did the info about the dog come from?

1 Like

I have zero issues with being petty when it comes to my kids… they can visit without the dog.

Why is the dog not supposed to be around kids? What did it do?

1 Like

Why can’t the dog be around kids? What info is there that says that? Do they have a kennel that the dog could go in while children are there? It is hard to say without more information.

Have them kennel the dog when you and the children go over to visit. They can put the kennel in a room where the children will not go into so that the dog will not be stressed.
I would also ask them why they were told the dog wasn’t good with children. Is it the breed or was there an incident?

Is it just the breed in general that’s a problem? Or the dog was sold to them while being told it shouldn’t be around kids? It matters if it’s a generalization made by you (where you don’t have a right to say this) or a specific dog with a specific problem (where it sounds like they don’t WANT kids there).

1 Like

If the dog has s history of being aggressive, than no, I wouldn’t want my kids around it. Especially since both kids and dogs can be unpredictable. My 14 year old startles my in laws dog almost every time we go over, despite being spoken to several times about approaching too quickly or from behind. The dog has not attacked her, but I wouldn’t be surprised if at some point the dog bites her. Again, she’s 14 and should know better. Imagine if she were much younger and didn’t? I think you have a right to be weary about it, but I don’t think you should stop going there all together. Compromises can be made. Maybe on a nice day, let the dog go out in the backyard for a bit, or put a gate up. I have 3 dogs myself, and on occasion, when they get too excited and jump on my kid’s friends, or my young nephews, I have to put them in a separate area.

Considering it says dog and not puppy, I’m going to take a wild guess here (like everyone else is capable of doing) and assume the dog came with a no-children restriction. Seems pretty obvious since it doesn’t say she doesn’t trust the dog. It says the dog can’t can’t around kids

Kids’ safety > Pets :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

My kids haven’t been to my sisters house in atleast 3 yrs cause I don’t trust her dog, it doesn’t mean to bite but gets excited and nips at you. So No your not petty, your a responsible loving parent that wants her kids safe

Depends what breed. If its a chihuahua they can find children too much but if they did escape wouldent do much harm if its a bull terrier then that a different story we need more info .

3 Likes

If the dog gas attacked kids and is a known bitter then no I wouldn’t allow my kids at rheir house regardless if they put the dog away or not someone could accidentally open the door or anything…

6 Likes

Oh I have questions. Why can’t this dog be around kids? Does it have a history or are you stereotyping a breed? I have questions dammit.

That’s your choice. But you can’t make statement about what they can and cannot have. Maybe they don’t want your kids there so got that dog.

4 Likes

Not worth risk wouldn’t be taking my kid there at all they made there choice

It’s never petty to protect your children. Grandparents can visit their grandchildren without the dog.

3 Likes

Can the dog be outside while yall visit? If not then I wouldn’t go

How do you know the dog shouldn’t be around children?

2 Likes

Not petty. My parents don’t let all of their dogs around my kids. Certain ones get put up until they leave.

1 Like

Like the dog doesn’t get on with children or it’s a breed you aren’t comfortable with?

4 Likes

Why shouldn’t the dog be around children? Is it a rescue that doesn’t do well with children? I’m hoping it isn’t about breed because lord I got the time today.

5 Likes

What is the reason the dog cannot be around the children? Has the dog showed aggression toward children before? Were they told the dog is not good with children?

1 Like

They can crate it or put it in another room.

2 Likes

Many details missing. For starters no dog shouldnnenunattained around young children ever. Is this dog a rescue and older? Is it a puppy just gotten at 10 weeks? Why is this dog not to be around children?
Why can owners not crate the dog while family visits?

5 Likes

Well I need more background on this.

They have the right to have a dog in their house the same way you have the right not to visit them anymore.

2 Likes

Need more info. Like what is the reason the dog shouldn’t be around children? Can the dog go outside or in another room when the children are there?

2 Likes

Your job is to protect your children, I would never let them go there around that dog!!!

3 Likes

I have many questions. Like why can’t the dog be around children? Are you being like this just because YOU hate the breed? If so, you are the a$$ hole!!! Has this dog ever bite a child? Not the breed, but that exact dog??? I need to know more information!!! Do the grandparents refuse to lock the dog up during visit? Have you ever asked them to lock the dog up during visits? Have you ever talking to the grandparents at all? Or ate you just looking for reasons?

If any of my daughter in law simply come to me with concerns over my dog I would always definitely :100: respect my daughter in law. The dog would be put in a crate in a bedroom with a doggie door on the bedroom too. I would always do anything to make my family feel safe! :100:

1 Like

I had this similar situation happen and I gave it a shot. My son got bit deep in the ass… luckily it wasn’t his face!

Your children come first!!! Grandparents can come to you to visit.

4 Likes

Is the dog a killer has he killed before ?? :rofl::sob:

2 Likes

Missing info here. Are you judging the dog just based on its breed? Or has it actually shown aggression towards children? What makes you think it shouldn’t be around children?

7 Likes

Yess if the dog can be dangerous to ur kids absolutely

If the dog has violent tendencies then I’d probably do the same. Specially if it’s like a big dog.

1 Like

It depends on if the dog is actually aggressive or of you are breed prejudice, I guess.
At the end of the day, it’s your kids but you may be being very petty.

4 Likes